The R-QBAM main thread

[...]
The other reason I didn't finish Kazakhstan is that I have other things I want to be doing. There are a few old AH maps of mine that I want to upgrade to the new R-QBAM format, with perhaps a little mild re-working on the side. I've been putting off working on them until I had all of Europe and environs done, but I think I've reached that point now, and after five months I want a bit of a break from geographical patches.

As such I'll be putting further development of the R-QBAM mostly on hold for a couple of weeks as I work on updating the old maps instead - keep an eye on the map thread over the next few weeks. At least three of my old scenarios will be updated, with the possibility of one or two more as well if I can find the time.
[...]
Ooo, honestly I really like all of your TL's (even if most of them were single maps:p) so this is a bonus to me. I'm especially looking forward to seeing this map redone, it is one of my favorites Q-BAM maps.

1660614455394.png

Russian Empire subdivisions WIP

I'm sorry if this has already been said before, but I'd like to know what color scheme is being used in this map.

As mentioned already, I'm using a mix of colour schemes based on what I think works. After becoming disillusioned with the many, many colour schemes popping up in recent years, I drifted to a form of CIWYL based heavily on some of my old favourites. X2 (and its recent extension X4) forms the backbone as it was the scheme that got big when I was first getting into mapmaking, but if I feel I don't like a colour choice (a worse problem with AH maps admittedly), then I'll supplement it with something from one of the dozens of others, though usually DCS or SUCK.

I think there needs to be a bit more of Saudi Arabia, if you want to include the Nabateans.

Other than that, it should be fine for Rome from its foundation all the way to the Empire's height.

I could quickly whip up a little bit more of the Saudi Red Sea coast if people want to do some Rome patches. Just say the word.

Ooo, honestly I really like all of your TL's (even if most of them were single maps:p) so this is a bonus to me. I'm especially looking forward to seeing this map redone, it is one of my favorites Q-BAM maps.

Thanks. I don't make maps that often, but when I do I tend to go all perfectionist on them.

You'll be pleased to know that that scenario is first on the list to be upgraded. I'm still very happy with how that map came out, it'll probably just get tweaked a little with an expanded backstory. Next up is this scenario from two years ago. Again, I'm pleased with it, so there won't be that many changes. The last guaranteed map is this one from back in 2017, that'll get a more substantial overhaul.

After that, I have a few ideas - either post-war maps for both the former worlds once the dust has settled, or else I have a few other old worlds that could be updated, or perhaps there could even be a new scenario entirely in the offing, I'm not fully sure yet. I'll see what I can get done before the end of the month.

Russian Empire subdivisions WIP

Looks to be coming along well.

Just a heads up, I put together my own patch for the higher water levels in the Caspian a century ago, and the results of our different efforts, while broadly similar, differ in detail. I'd be interested in knowing what sources you used to see if I can make mine a little better.

(I was mostly using the 1930 8K-BAM resized and reprojected as a base, using this old German map from 1904 and this Italian map from 1929 for reference and to add detail). Side note - the German map in particular might be useful to you as you can overlay old administrative divisions over the modern ones using that link.

As mentioned, I've finished expanding out the 1900 geography patch out to make a good inset map of Europe. While I felt up to adding the River Ob and the Yamal Peninsula in the top right corner, I didn't have it in me to start on Greenland yet, hence the hole in the map. It'll be done eventually, just not right now.

1660777823586.png

Last edited:
So there we go, current North America is done! Usual disclaimer that almost everything on Canada will need revision once it's get's done.

View attachment 764670View attachment 764672View attachment 764673View attachment 764674

And, I will go back into the Old Word, see you on next we... Just joking here's the current Maghreb and Levant done! The rest of Anatolia and Caucasus will be next, them I guess finishing Tigris–Euphrates and Nile basins? Well we'll see

View attachment 764682View attachment 764683View attachment 764684
What app do u use for these?

What app do u use for these?
I did use QGIS with ESRI's ETOPO1 data to make a equirectangular map and then I converted that into a robinson projection at the size of R-QBAM using G.Projector; and now I have it as a layer in my paint.net file.

Oh well, who would have thought i was going to have a tight week? Anyway, I haven't had time to update things yet, but if everything goes well I'll reappear here at the weekend. Basically besides the new oblasts and the pieces around the Caspian Sea (I won't lie, the 1900 patch is a huge help with the dry land around the Caspian), there are several dried lakes between Mexico and US that I hadn't noticed before, so yeah see you guys soon.

I'm finally back, finally as I mentioned in my last post, we have a patch focused on intermittent dry lakes/waterbodies, but we also have other rivers here too, so the changes were in the following regions:
- California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Coahulia, Chihuahua and Baja California in the Americas with several dry lakes;
- Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Iraq with more dry lakes;
- Western part of Iran, with the dry part of Lake Urmia too;
- The surroundings of the Caspian Sea (again the 1900 patch helped a lot) along with a remake of the Volga delta (and some big lakes missing south of it), and the basins of Ural, Gorgan and Atrak;
- A piece of the Ob river basin that passes through Sverdlovsk and Kurgan;
- I forgot to connect a river from Finnish Lakeland, so... yeah;

1661030508667.png

1661030602406.png

So next: I found this little boy here recently and I think did get some of the canals in Europe confused as rivers, so instead of just correcting it I'll do an layer for canals, so yeah, see you guys latter.

Ok, it's has been quite a time since the last update here, so I have been way more bussy than I expected, but I indeed started a canal layer, so just not let this thread dry here's a sneak peak of it (+ more patchs in rivers and waterbeds). PS: not sure on what final color to use on the canals, so yeah.

1661630263028.png

Ok, it's has been quite a time since the last update here, so I have been way more bussy than I expected, but I indeed started a canal layer, so just not let this thread dry here's a sneak peak of it (+ more patchs in rivers and waterbeds). PS: not sure on what final color to use on the canals, so yeah.

View attachment 769906
The Nile delta has… a disturbing amount of canals.

1661911813114.png

I will extend to the rest of russia as it is made.
governorates in 1897, I'm sure it can be incorporated with some minor changes to the 1914 map :)
the rivers are already aligned, except for when they're not if there's a reason (eg. river was slightly different back then.)

View attachment 770727
I will extend to the rest of russia as it is made.
governorates in 1897, I'm sure it can be incorporated with some minor changes to the 1914 map :)
the rivers are already aligned, except for when they're not if there's a reason (eg. river was slightly different back then.)
Poland lost its autonomy back in 1863. The "Kingdom of Poland" was entirely nominal at that point.