The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

It may well be a slightly later tradition, but Queens were already being associated with the Virgin Mary, and IIRC, there are portraits of medieval monarchs wearing halos, so I thought I could get away with it...

Again, not an expert on the folklore and superstition of the time, and such an idea would definitely be a folk superstition, not a religious teaching, but...

Halos in iconography would indicate holiness generally, not necessarily angels. Halos on an otherwise ordinary human figure generally indicates a saint, not an angel, in most iconographic traditions. The Holy Theotokos and Ever Virgin Mary is accounted as greatest of the saints, yet still human, not as an angel. The saints are with the angels, as in being in heaven together with them, but are not among the seven choirs of angels. Humans differ from angels in the key matter of physical bodies, while angels are purely spiritual in nature, at least per traditional Christian angelology. (Also, while there are seven choirs or ranks of angels, each angel was held to be so unique as to each one be accounted a species unto itself.)

Basically, everything in modern pop culture about angels is wrong from a Medieval Catholic perspective, though the Renaissance did take a more creative approach toward angels in artistic depiction, and the Tudor period is certainly a time of many transitions and changes, so anything might be possible.

V: February 1519
I'm not sure what I make of this section, but it seemed the only way to move the story on. And yes, I know Henry's grief is excessive. But, it's Henry. And he's just lost his son and heir as well as his wife, Bear with me.

“It can’t go on like this!” the Duchess of Suffolk sighed, “It’s been three months, Charles. We can’t go on like this! We can’t!” She flapped a letter in her husband’s face, “Quite apart from the fact that the Privy Council is starting to get restive, Lady Bryan says the Princess is getting more and more impossible. It’s the third letter I’ve had like that this month. She needs her father. Mary needs her father and England needs her King!”

“I know. I know. But what do you want me to do about it?” Charles sighed, “Henry is the King, Mary. If he wants to stay in seclusion, then, hard as it is, there’s nothing anyone can do.”

“You could try. You’re his best friend.”

“You’re his sister. What makes you think I could do a better job than you could?”

“I’m a woman. He won’t speak to me the way he would to another man. Particularly not since I’m his younger sister. Please.”

Winding herself around him, she stroked his hair.

“There’s no one who knows how to talk to Harry better than you. And think of little Hal. Would you want to let him live with the pain of not knowing his father?”

“No! Of course not!” Charles exclaimed, his heart clenching at the thought of no longer being a part of his son’s life. Mary wound his dark locks around her fingers.

“I thought not. So don’t let Mary go through it either. Go and talk Henry out of his seclusion. Please.”

“Oh, very well. I’ll try. I’ll try.”

Extricating himself from her hold, he sighed, kissed her swiftly, slipped from the room and made his way to King Henry’s apartments.

A young page, Francis Weston was just exiting as he reached them. Charles stopped the boy with a quiet hand on his shoulder.

“How is he, Francis?”

“No better, no worse, My Lord Suffolk,” Francis murmured. Sighing, Charles nodded and stepped past him into the darkened room, trying not to reel back at the musty smell that permeated the air.

“Harry? Your Majesty?”

“I said I didn’t want to be disturbed, Charles.” Henry’s voice was heavy. Charles hesitated, but knew he had to press forward. He owed it to Mary – both Marys- and to Henry.”

“I know, Henry. I know.”

“Then why are you here?”

“Because I’m your friend. Because I don’t like seeing you hurt. Because I want to help you.”

Charles stepped forward, laying a daring hand on his sovereign’s shoulder. To his relief, Henry didn’t pull away. Instead he simply sighed bitterly.

“You have, Charles. You and Mary both. More than you know.”

A silence stretched between the two men for a moment. Suddenly, Henry burst out, “Is there a curse on the Tudors, Charles, because we won our throne through conquest and not through blood? Are we doomed to lose our Queens in childbed forever?”

“No, Henry no! You mustn’t think that! You mustn’t!”

“My father lost my mother. I lost Cata. And my son. There must be…”

“It was bad luck, Henry, that’s all. Sheer bad luck. Look, I know how you feel. I know it feels like the end of the world; like she’s taken your youth with her; like you’ll never be happy again. But it’ll pass. Trust me, it’ll pass.”

“How do you…? That’s it exactly. How do you know?”

At Henry’s words, Charles sighed with relief, releasing a breath he didn’t even know he’d been holding. He couldn’t let Henry consider the fact that he might have been cursed. He couldn’t. Henry was so superstitious. Who knew where he might let the thought lead him?

He said nothing of his thoughts to Henry, of course. All he said was, “I lost my Anne, remember? I lost my Anne just like you lost the Queen.[1] I felt like you, Harry. I thought I’d never be happy again. But things changed. You opened talks for my marriage to young Viscountess Lisle, you invited me back to Court. [2]And I stopped grieving like a husband and a father and let myself grieve like the young man I knew I still was. And then you I met Mary. Your sister. I met her and I loved her. She made me happy again, Harry. She made me happy again and now we’re married and have our beautiful children. So you’re not cursed, Harry. You’re not. You’ll have a boy to be your Prince yet. You’ll have him with a woman you love, I promise. Just because you lost Cata doesn’t mean you can’t have a boy with a woman you love. You just have to give it time.”

“What changed you, Charles? What changed things for you?” Henry’s voice was hollow. Charles took a deep breath. He knew he was taking a gamble with his next words, knew Mary would hate him for this whatever the result, but he had no choice. He’d baited the hook and now he had to reel it in.

“I grieved like a man. I let myself stop being a husband and a father and just became a man. That’s what you need to do, Harry. Stop being a King. Stop being Cata’s husband. Stop being Mary’s father. Just be Harry. Just Harry.”

“How? After everything that’s happened, Charles, how?”

“Would you like me to show you?”

Henry fell silent and Charles held his breath, straining his eyes through the darkness to see how his friend’s face changed.

Finally, Henry nodded.

*** *** ***​
“You’re doing what?! Taking him drinking?! Whoring?! No! Oh no, Charles, I forbid it! I forbid it, do you hear me?!” Mary screeched at her husband.

“I never said I was taking him whoring! Where do you get that idea from?”

“Because I know you! I know the friendship you used to have. You’re thinking of it, aren’t you?”

“What does it matter what I’m thinking of? At least he’s out of his room!”

“See? You don’t even try to deny it. Not properly. My God! You were supposed to persuade him to visit the Princess, not agree to take him whoring! What about his role as her father or her King? What about his duties to England?”

“His sense of duty is what got us into this mess in the first place. It’s crushing him, can’t you see that?”

“And getting him drunk and letting him sleep with common women is supposed to help?!”

“Yes! It’ll help him let go. You’re a woman; I wouldn’t expect you to understand. Just trust me. Trust me to know what’s best for your brother.”

Charles shoved past Mary. She sprang ahead of him and slammed the door.

“You’re not doing it! I forbid it! I forbid it!”

“Who are you to forbid me anything?!”

“I’m the Dowager Queen of France! The King of England’s sister!”

“Not anymore! You’re not my Princess anymore! You’re my wife! You’re my wife and by God, you will stand aside. Now!”

Before he knew what he was doing, Charles had raised his arm to strike Mary. Stunned, she shrank back slightly, just enough for him to force her out of his way.

He flung himself down the passage, still seething; still shaking with anger. What was he doing? He’d never threatened Mary like that before. Never. He had to be going mad.

“All the more reason to get Harry back to himself by whatever means necessary,” he thought, “All the more reason. I’m not sure how much more of having to lead the Court in his stead our marriage can take.”

[1] Brandon’s OTL second wife Anne Browne, by whom he had two daughters, Anne and Mary. I couldn’t find out her fate, so for the purposes of this TL, she died in childbirth with Mary in 1510.

[2] Brandon was betrothed to Elizabeth Grey, Viscountess Lisle in 1513 and took the title Viscount Lisle in her name, but jilted her for Mary Tudor, Dowager Queen of France, two years later, before they actually married.

Minor nitpick because my eye wouldn't stop twitching at it. Cata isn't a nickname for Catalina. The one you're looking for is Lina.

Also your footnotes link to a word document. You might want to change them.

Mary [the elder] wouldn't be addressed by anyone as the Duchess of Suffolk, but rather as the Queen of France. Even when women remarry it's always their highest title that will be used to address them, which is why Jacquetta of Luxembourg was always addressed as the Duchess of Bedford rather than as the Lady Rivers.

As for Anne Browne, she didn't die in childbirth, actually. At least, not during childbirth, since her daughter Mary (insert rant about Tudors being uncreative with names here) was born in 1510, and sources differ on the exact year but it's estimated Anne died between 1510-1512.

Last edited:
Minor nitpick because my eye wouldn't stop twitching at it. Cata isn't a nickname for Catalina. The one you're looking for is Lina.

Mary [the elder] wouldn't be addressed by anyone as the Duchess of Suffolk, but rather as the Queen of France. Even when women remarry it's always their highest title that will be used to address them, which is why Jacquetta of Luxembourg was always addressed as the Duchess of Bedford rather than as the Lady Rivers.

As for Anne Browne, she didn't die in childbirth, actually. At least, not during childbirth, since her daughter Mary (insert rant about Tudors being uncreative with names here) was born in 1510, and sources differ on the exact year but it's estimated Anne died between 1510-1512.

Thanks for your thoughts. As far as the footnotes go, they link to a word document because I am copying and pasting my sections from Word into here. I'm still figuring out how this site works and haven't figured out how to do it differently yet. Particularly footnotes wise.

Re: Catalina. Lina is more common as a nickname, I agree, but I had a friend at school who was born Catalina and called herself Cata, so either is possible.

Re: Anne Browne. You're probably right. But a quick Google wasn't helpful and I decided that having her die in childbirth was useful for the sake of the story, because it makes it easier for Brandon to empathise with Henry...

As for Mary, I know she would always have been known as the Dowager Queen of France, but it's just such a mouthful. Duchess of Suffolk often scans better. Hence why I am using the forms interchangeably... I know it's bad practice, but the writer in me cannot stand the way 'Dowager Queen of France' fits in my sentences....

Or Trina.

@FalconHonour : small nitpick, Brandon was born in 1484/1485, so he was 27/28yo when Anne Browne died in 1512, ironically the same age Henry was in 1518. ISTR reading that +30-35yo was considered old at the time, so I'm not sure Brandon would have spoken of being a "young man". Then again, he IS talking to the king and it's treason to imagine his death, so to say he's old...might not go over so well.

Must admit though, I could quite see Henry Cavill as Suffolk and Eric Bana (with red hair) or Damian Lewis as Henry VIII in this scene. Anna Brewster for Mary the Elder.

Wonder who the mistress is gonna be though (Bessie Blount? Mary Boleyn? Jane Pollard? )

@FalconHonour : small nitpick, Brandon was born in 1484/1485, so he was 27/28yo when Anne Browne died in 1512, ironically the same age Henry was in 1518. ISTR reading that +30-35yo was considered old
Must admit though, I could quite see Henry Cavill as Suffolk and Eric Bana (with red hair) or Damian Lewis as Henry VIII in this scene. Anna Brewster for Mary the Elder.
Cavill did play Suffolk in The Tudors

Bana played Henry in the other Boleyn girl while Lewis played him in wolf hall

Cavill did play Suffolk in The Tudors

Bana played Henry in the other Boleyn girl while Lewis played him in wolf hall

That's why I mentioned those actors - rather than just picking random actors/actresses (i.e. a Hemsworth as Henry or Matt Smith as Brandon) kinda thing. I know Anna Brewster played Buckingham's daughter (not Mary Tudor in the Tudors) but I see Gabrielle Anwar more as Fiona from Burn Notice (or maybe as the OTL Margaret Tudor) than Mary.

That's why I mentioned those actors - rather than just picking random actors/actresses (i.e. a Hemsworth as Henry or Matt Smith as Brandon) kinda thing. I know Anna Brewster played Buckingham's daughter (not Mary Tudor in the Tudors) but I see Gabrielle Anwar more as Fiona from Burn Notice (or maybe as the OTL Margaret Tudor) than Mary.

When I face cast, Natalie Dormer is my Anne, Carey Mulligan as she was in Bleak House is my Mary Boleyn, Sarah Bolger is Henry's daughter Mary, Henry Cavill is Brandon. On reflection, I think Sam Heughan could pull off Henry, and maybe a young Cate Blanchett as Mary, Queen of France??