The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

I am finding this Boleyn girl thoroughly adorable.

But, as this is HVIII, the ending can't possibly be pretty ... sigh

Yes it can, he can die fourteen or fifteen years earlier! Everyone can have happy memories of Dad before he degenerated too far into being a pychotic man child otl and a lot fewer people get beheaded!

And Mary, if she ever becomes Mary the 1st is a well adjusted self possessed young lady without daddy issues or a chip on her shoulder.

Happy days for everyone!

Last edited:
Yes it can, he can die fourteen or fifteen years earlier! Everyone can have happy memories of Dad before he degenerated too far into being a pychotic man child otl and a lot fewer people get beheaded!

And Mary, if she ever becomes Mary the 1st is a well adjusted self possessed young lady without daddy issues or a chip on her shoulder.

Happy days for everyone!

Mary will certainly have a much happier childhood, I can promise that much. Also, although I am making no promises, a son at this point would do a great deal to sweeten Henry's temper in the long run.

@High Plains Drifter, Marie is a darling young woman, isn't she?

Love the update. Hopefully Marie can play the tears off as being overwhelmed by Henry VIII offer and he’ll be flattered not offended.

Section XXXII - June 1520
Henry found her in the gardens not half an hour later.

Marie braced herself for anger, for embarrassed fury, but the King surprised her. Sliding on to the stone bench beside her, he put his arms around her, curving them tenderly about her waist and held her. He said nothing, only held her as she wept.

Only once the passionate storm had begun to abate did he attempt words.

“Why are you crying, darling? I’m not sure many men are met with a flood of tears when they propose, you know.”

She tried to respond to his teasing with a smile, but failed miserably, “Because I love you,” she sobbed.

“What?! But…”

“I love you and I want to marry you so so badly, but I can’t.”

“Why not? I’m the King, I can marry whom I please.”

“No you can’t. I’m not good enough to be Your Grace’s bride. Kings marry Princesses, not Knight’s daughters. And even if I was good enough, there’s Bessie Blount and her boy to be thought of. It’s barely even three months since the lad was born. What will people think if Your Majesty turns around and marries me now?”

“Marie, darling, stop. Stop. First off, you must call me Henry and secondly, you mustn’t worry about all this. I can solve all these problems.”

“Really?” Her voice was thin, shaky. Looking at her, Henry realised how young she still was. Only just twenty. Almost young enough to be his niece by his sister Margaret. He rubbed her back soothingly.

“Of course. Am I not the King of England? I can give titles to anyone I please. It will be the easiest thing in the world to decide the Ormonde dispute in your father’s favour. That will leave you the Lady Mary and also release you from your understanding with the Butler boy. You were never precontracted, were you?”

“No, not officially. Our fathers could never agree on the finer details of the marriage contract.”

“Well, then. All’s clear on that score. And as for my son, well, I’ll marry Bessie off to some minor Lord or other, dower her generously and then forget about the both of them. You needn’t concern yourself with him. God knows I won’t.”

“No! You mustn’t say that, Henry!” Marie exclaimed, startling them both, “You mustn’t! The boy’s your son! He’s got your blood in his veins. He deserves better than to be fobbed off as some minor Lord’s adopted heir.”

Despite himself, Henry chuckled, “Bless you, Marie. Already acting as England’s mother before you’ve even agreed to marry me.”

“Oh, but I will. Do this for me and I will.”

“There’s the answer I was hoping for,” Henry breathed, leaning in to steal a kiss from her.

Last edited:
I meant more reactions from his council and the parliament about marrying a english noblelady. He's gonna face heavy opposition for this decision.

You know . . . it would kind of be nice to see England's history develop from a world in which Henry gets to have a stable, happy, loving home life with healthy male heirs. Just for once.

Henry's too temperamental himself to really have a perfect marriage, but I shall do my level best to make you happy without stretching the bounds of plausibility too much.