The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

You know due to mortality rates in this era, especially for women who get pregnant, I could see Lionel having had more than one wife even before he becomes King. As for 'the second son' and any other legitimate sons Henry has, the best bets for them would be brides that can bring England a useful alliance, a large dowry, or possibly both.

And do remember that in quite a few places, like the HRE women can't inherit directly BUT they can pass claims to their husbands and sons, and due to the chaotic era they are all about to enter... It's hypothetically possible that one of Henry's sons could wind up an important Duke in the HRE due to his wife's kin getting themselves all killed.

Maybe have the duke of Milan pull something similar to what Manuel of Portugal did with Isabella of Aragon and her sister Maria: Perhaps the duke will insist on Beatrice and will not accept a match with any other Habsburg related princess.
He was not in the position for doing that and Kristina was the max who Karl V would give to him.
Beatrice can not be married without the consent of her half-brother who is interested in an English match but unlikely to be interested in one with Milan.
Plus Kristina was stunning but her dowry would be what the Emperor decided to give her while Beatrice would bring a very large dowry and is a more prestigious match in her own

Last edited:
United Scandinavia under Christian II would be great... Still I do not think who Kristina would be more valuable than her cousin Beatrice as bride for Lionel... and is unlikely who Portugal will have better offers than Lionel for Beatrice (and if Francis is stupid as OTL and ended captured by Karl V and forced to marry Eleanor of Austria, Beatrice would be also Francis‘ step-daughter)

All this discussion is excellent for my planning... As I said, I won't be going into any major detail post 1531, but I already have the titles of several ATL biographies planned out, which I will probably be quoting from extensively in some epilogue chapters - there should be at least a couple of those on Maria in Paris, and one or two on Lionel.

Section CXXXVI - August 1523
I got two whole epilogues written last night, so have a new chapter!

Ampthill, August 1523
Marie was reading quietly in bed when the private door between Henry’s apartments and hers opened. Surprised, she glanced up. To her alarm, her husband was crying.

“Henry! Love!” She sprang to her feet, pushing back the blankets, but before she could reach him, Henry fell to his knees.

“Forgive me, darling. Forgive me. I swore to have you and hold you, for better or for worse, to cherish you till I died. Yet I ignore you and berate you for your empty belly. This isn’t the behaviour King David would exhibit towards his wife. This isn’t the behaviour I was raised to show to mine. Mother would be turning in her grave if she knew. Mother would be turning in her grave.”

He was panting, choking on his own tears. Marie knelt down beside him and raised his head to look him in the eye.

“Henry. There is nothing to forgive, my love. You are still grieving William. You worry for the Succession without another boy to shore it up. We both do. Your actions are completely permissible, given the circumstances. But remember, I am yours. I am yours, heart and soul. For better or for worse.”

“For better or for worse?” Henry echoed, a note of pleading in his voice. Marie nodded, hiding the pain she was feeling behind a consoling smile. She had promised Charles she would be sweetness itself as and when Henry returned to her bed. She had to live up to that promise. She had to. Whatever Mary had said to her brother earlier had clearly struck home. He was so vulnerable. What she said next could either win him back to her forever or else drive him so far away that she would never get him back. She had to make sure it was the former.

“For better or for worse, husband. I promise. Whatever may happen. And we are both still young enough to secure the Succession with another son.”

“Do you think so?”

“I know so. Hasn’t God clearly blessed our union not once, but twice, in the past two years? Why shouldn’t He do so a third time?”

Marie could hardly believe what she was saying. This kind of reckless confidence was far more characteristic of George or Anne than her, but before she could think any more about it, it worked. Henry leapt up, confidence sparking in his eyes once more.

“Yes. Why shouldn’t He? We’re both still young, after all.”

Part of his confidence, Henry knew, came from the knowledge that Honour was carrying his child, thus proving his current virility, but Marie didn’t need to know that and, anyway, Henry dismissed it, as Marie, filled with a boldness he had never yet seen her display, tossed her golden head.

“Exactly. So we will have a son, My Lord. Come to bed with me and we will have a son.”

Taken aback by her forwardness, Henry couldn’t help laughing, “Who are you and what have you done with my wife?”

But he couldn’t deny the desire that was stirring inside him and he was only too happy to take the hand she offered him.

Hopefully Marie doesn't blame Honour for her pregnancy, after all she had little choice in the pregnancy, I personally hope that Honour can stay in court and be involved in her child's life and marry a wealthy nobleman. I am very happy to see Henry and his queen are reconciling. Great chapter!

Hopefully Marie doesn't blame Honour for her pregnancy, after all she had little choice in the pregnancy, I personally hope that Honour can stay in court and be involved in her child's life and marry a wealthy nobleman. I am very happy to see Henry and his queen are reconciling. Great chapter!
Both Marie and Honour seem like sensible women. Honour won't make the same mistake Bessie made, and Marie will definitely be the kind to forgive and forget...

It's the court of Henry VIII, Honour will be lucky to keep her head by the end of this.