The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

Both Marie and Honour seem like sensible women. Honour won't make the same mistake Bessie made, and Marie will definitely be the kind to forgive and forget...

Marie will take a leaf out of KOA's book when it comes to Honour and her child, although Henry will be taking no chances this time. This upcoming Fitzroy will NOT be raised in the same palace as their half-siblings, I can tell you that now.

Last edited:
Hopefully Marie doesn't blame Honour for her pregnancy, after all she had little choice in the pregnancy, I personally hope that Honour can stay in court and be involved in her child's life and marry a wealthy nobleman. I am very happy to see Henry and his queen are reconciling. Great chapter!

I know what happens to Honour's child, but I haven't decided what to do with Honour herself yet...

I'm not making ANOTHER pot of tea, you'll be pleased to know...

"Making a pot of tea" should be this TL's euphemism for anyone executed by boiling them alive.

EDIT: Alternately you can go with "I want to give my enemy a cup of Henry's Tea." or something like that.

Next on The Queen is Dead! The Cooking Show--

Irish Stew with Honour!
Suffolk Pudding with Duchess Mary, where she puds her brother in his place!

Section CXXXVII - October 1523
Greenwich, October 1523
Perhaps God heard Marie’s prayers, for her belly swelled with child within weeks, as though her child’s spirit had been up in Heaven, just waiting for its new parents to be reconciled before it deigned to come to rest in the world.

Henry, of course, was cockahoop, especially when her belly ballooned so fast that the royal seamstresses were hard-pressed to sew panels into her dresses fast enough to keep her comfortably and regally clothed. It seemed he couldn’t tire of parading her before the Court, praising her fecundity to the skies.

Maria and Lionel were whisked up from Eltham and shown off at every opportunity, hailed as proof that the future of England rested secure.

Little Maria blossomed, thrilled beyond belief to be back with her parents. Marie tried to curb the little girl’s vanity, but even she wasn’t totally immune to her vivacity and charm. She did so love having the children about her and Maria had always been more her child than Henry’s. It was hardly unexpected that she would spoil her a little, if only with her time and affection and not materially. So while Henry fussed over Lionel and took him for many a ride on the back of his destrier or his great Irish hunter, proudly proclaiming to all who could hear that the boy would soon become the greatest rider in Christendom, she spent hours with Maria and her companions, hearing their lessons and playing with them.

She also encouraged Maria in her music, the little girl’s playing being one of the few things that could soothe her in her discomfort.

For she was in discomfort. Even though she was only, as far as the midwives could make out, a couple of months along at most, being due almost exactly on Lionel’s third birthday, she already had a belly as large as a woman at least four months gone with child and the weight seemed almost unbearable at times. Nor could she lie comfortably, but rather, had to toss and turn irritably for hours before her exhaustion would finally allow her to succumb to sleep. Not only that, but, although she had mercifully escaped the morning sickness this time, she was constantly emotional and craving venison at all hours of the day or night.

All of this combined to make her extremely miserable, and, one morning, she startled Henry by bursting into tears during one of his visits for no apparent reason.

“Sweetheart! What is it?” He sprang to his feet and pulled her into his arms, “Don’t cry, darling, please. You mustn’t distress yourself. Think of the child. Don’t cry. Don’t.”

“I’m sorry!” she sobbed, “I’m just so uncomfortable. So tired. I can’t sleep and all I want to eat is venison. I feel like my body isn’t my own any more. I just want it to be May. I want my body back!”

Henry was lost for words. “But darling,” he stuttered, “Surely it’ll all be worth it when you hold our boy in your arms. He must be a mighty strapping lad to give you such a fine belly so early.”

“I don’t care! I want him out!”

Marie began to wail as piteously as a child, as though she were Lionel when he had refused to take a nap and was overtired and fractious. Henry almost scolded her; she was a grown woman after all, but then he reminded himself of her condition and forced himself to be patient.

“All right, darling. All right,” he soothed, “I’m going to send for Dr Linacre. He can make you a calming draught and you can sleep for a while. And we’ll see if he can think of any way we can make you more comfortable.”

She sniffled and nodded into his chest. He held her gently, rocking her back and forth to keep her quiet, until Dr Linacre arrived.

Twins seem a distant possibility, or a very big baby, either way the labour may be hard for Marie. Also, does anyone know of any instances when Queens and noblewoman in this time period or the middle ages had triplets? Of course it would seem unlikely that the majority of the children and the mother would survive but it would be interesting to see if it occurred.

Let's just say I took some inspiration from this challenge over on FFnet:

The Tiny Tudors Challenge

We all know that things could have been very different for Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn if Elizabeth had had a twin brother. What about if she was one of a higher order of multiple births? Write a story where, on the 7th of September 1533, Anne gives birth to quadruplets*.

Requirements

- All four babies must survive. Ideally, I’d like two boys and two girls but, if you prefer, Elizabeth can be the only girl.

- The reaction of at least two of the following to news of the four new arrivals: Katherine of Aragon, Papa Boleyn, Chapuys, Mary Tudor, Cromwell, Brandon and the Pope.

- Confusion in the nursery, especially since they need to remember which baby is the Prince of Wales and which one is the Duke of York (plus the Duke of Somerset, if there are three boys) so they don’t wind up with the wrong one as heir to the throne and so the babies are carried in the right order of precedence for their christening and stuff.

- Henry becoming obsessed with the celebrations for the birth, since lots of babies call for lots of celebrating, especially when there are at least a couple of boys in the mix.

* If you really want to, you can opt for a higher order of multiple births but I picked quadruplets because there are records of sets surviving before the advent of modern medical technology, and there have also been some pretty heavy sets of them (“ouch” moment for the mother who gave birth to the set of quads weighing in at more than 26 pounds collectively!) so it’d be feasible... just about... for Anne to bear a surviving set in the sixteenth century.

;)

The way you described Marie's pregnancy she MIGHT be having triplets, which in this era could turn very messy in the delivery.

My best wishes to Marie and Her belly ‘o babies!

May all of them survive the birth, fit, well, healthy, and with no damage to any of them! Inc Henry.