Swept Out Through The Door, Coming Back Down the Chimney [1]
Soundtrack: Throw The House Out The Windowe

*exterior* *Piazza del Duomo, Milan* *we see a horse-rider in Sforza livery galloping into the square*
*cut to Castello Sforzesco* *interior* *Galeazzo Maria Sforza is picking at his meal* *his mistress is seated across his lap* *there's music playing in the background as the man in livery reads a letter*
Man: Your Excellency will hear of the king's victory over the Burgundians. The duke is near Amiens and the king not far off awaiting Monsieur de Guienne his brother, who should have joined him by now with three hundred lances and other troops amounting in all to eight thousand combattants. They also expect the Earl of Warwick with fifteen thousand English. But though they say the English have landed in Normandy they must be few, as vigorous fighting is going on that side of the Channel. The Lorrainers are also fighting against the duke, in fact everything seems to be against him at present. [2]
Galeazzo: it must be galling for my brother in Burgundy to have to tolerate such a galling loss after mistaking the birth of his son for a sign of divine favour. Still, Signor Bettini [3] is of the belief that English assistance will not be required. In fact, per Signor Salvatico [4], the duke of York has successfully landed at Crowsmere [5]. Although, the report from Bettini is that York had been killed in the battle against the Earl of Oxford.
Man: of course, your Excellency.

*exterior* *Westminster Abbey* *a woman and her daughter cross the courtyard where the monks are hanging their laundry [6]* *they stop in front of the door to the Sanctuary*
Woman: Lady Zouche [7] with news for the Duchess of York
Guard: *stands aside*
Zouche: *to her daughter* stay here Meg [8]
Meg: *nods*

*cut to Cheyneygates [9]* *Elizabeth Wydeville, Thomas Millyng [10] and Lady Zouche are all seated around a table* *in fact, the comfort is almost enough to make one forget that this is Elizabeth's prison [11]*
Elizabeth: *as though recovering from a shock* Edward is not dead? *she and Millyng crosses themselves in relief*
Zouche: *with baby Edward in her lap* no, Majesty...he has landed, safe and sound- mostly, anyway, they lost a single ship- at Crowsmere [5]. The locals apparently mistook the Yorkist sun on the banners for the star of the de Veres. Only to realize their mistake too late. Milord Oxenford's brother, George...was killed in the fighting.
Millyng: and the king?
Zouche: he, his brother, Lords Hastings, Rivers and Saye are marching south from Crowsmere. Milord Warwick's son-in-law [12] and Lord Somerset are pressing for them to march to meet them.
Elizabeth: not King Henry?
Zouche: his son has had a great following since he arrived last month [12], and many say that even if the prince should prove successful it would be more for him than for the king [13].

*fade to black*

[1] old proverb, usually implying a bad habit/person you can't seem to shake no matter what you do. Also, how Sforza de Bettini described Edward's embarkation from Flushing OTL ("It is a difficult matter to go out by the door and then want to enter by the windows. They think he will leave his skin there")
[2] based on the letters of Giovanni Filippi de Terrate from Grenoble to the duke of Milan in March 1471
[3] Sforza de Bettini, Milanese ambassador to the French and Burgundian courts at the time
[4] Francesco Salvatico, Milanese ambassador to the English court of Henry VI who relayed Galeazzo's congratulations on the prince of Wales' marriage and the restoration of King Henry
[5] Cromer. Edward IV attempted to land there on the 12th of March 1471 but was beaten back by the locals. This is actually "good" for the Yorkists, since between departing Cromer on the 12th and landing at Ravenspur/Poole on the 14th, they lost about half their company, a whole ship load of horses, due to bad weather. Edward had to send for 6000 fighting men from Holland/Zeeland on April 9 1471 as a result
[6] the original purpose of the courtyard in front of the West Door [i.e. the entrance to the Abbey's sanctuary]
[7] Elizabeth St. John, wife of the 5th Baron Zouche, Edward V's godmother and Margaret Beaufort's half-sister, as well as one of Elizabeth Wydeville's most trusted/loyal ladies-in-waiting. She was the one who brought news to Elizabeth in sanctuary in both 1470 and 1483. She never left Edward V's side until Richard III dismissed her shortly before/after arriving in London with the new king. She also attempted to see Edward V afterwards and according to some accounts, was the one given the responsibility of handing over Richard of Shrewsbury.
[8] Elizabeth's only child by her first husband, Margaret. Meg later became...wait for it...the wife of William Catesby (Richard III's "cat")
[9] contrary to popular belief (looking at you Philippa Gregory and others), Elizabeth's "sanctuary" was not the Abbey's "dank and dark" sanctuary (that was reserved for petty thieves, debtors and bankrupts trying to avoid imprisonment at the Gatehouse Prison) but rather the Abbot's House, Cheyneygates (what is now known as the Deanery). Nor was it some "panicked flight" (as often portrayed) since there is record that "Her brother [Lionel] and her servants broke down the Abbey walls in order to get her furniture, chests and other items through."
[10] Abbot of Westminster who was made Bishop of Hereford in 1474 and who stood godfather to Edward V
[11] in 1486, Elizabeth took out the lease on "Cheyneygates Mansion" and it was described as a "stately home" and a "luxurious dwelling". And she clearly thought it suitably "regal" enough to take out a 40 year lease on the place
[12] i.e. Edward, Prince of Wales, who is a bit awkward to call "the prince of Wales". For context, according to a letter from Galeazzo Sforza to Marguerite d'Anjou dated to January 11 1471, as well as a response by Sforza de Bettini from 15 February (to a letter from 5 February), Edward of Westminster had been due to leave France with Signor Salvatico at some point between the 5 and 15 February 1471. Let's assume that Edward did leave then, since I can't find the reason he didn't
[13] what was reported about Edward of Westminster's charisma in a letter dated 30 March 1471. He wanted to engage the Yorkists shortly after they landed already, but he was overruled.

Good chapter as always
thank you. I spoke it over with @RedKing and we figured it's not impossible that Edward could've come ashore at Cromer. After all, there was a big storm blowing at the time, he lost ships on the previous and following day as a result, so if the locals were "more eager" to "save the cargo" - their right under English law - than worry about the men coming ashore, I doubt anyone was paying attention to the sun vs star too closely. Perhaps its just a manufactured excuse afterwards to excuse their behaviour (we thought it was Lord Oxford's men we were helping) or perhaps it was genuine. OTL Edward didn't land because the report came back that the locals weren't happy to see him. Ergo, they pushed onto Ravenspur and lost more ships/horses/men (gunners and ammo particularly, since in the request of April 1471, he specifies that he needs both- which is odd, when Charles the Bold had just given him fourteen ships' worth (roughly 50-60 men per ship) before he'd left Flushing). So here he's still got all that lovely ammo, doesn't need Charles' help as dearly. Although I'm guessing that just having had his arse handed to him by the French, Charles is perhaps cursing his brother-in-law*. Plus, Edward of Westminster is in England already, and if he's as charismatic as the letter points out...Edward IV might be in for a fight.

*technically the 14 ships of gunners weren't Burgundians. They were "the ships of the Easterlings", Charles himself only provided three- one for Edward, one for Dickon and one for their entourage. But I'm guessing that "semantic difference" isn't going to matter to Charles. He'll be all "I gave him seventeen ships! And what does he do with them?"

Milord of Oxenford's Maske
Soundtrack: Ave Maris Stella

April 1471

*exterior* *Weymouth* *we see Marguerite d'Anjou riding into town* *followed by her daughter-in-law, Anne Neville, Princess of Wales, her sister, the duchess of Clarence, their mother, the Countess of Warwick and Eleanor Talbot, Duchess of Somerset* *and a few hundred soldiers[1]*
*there are scattered cheers, although hardly a "hearty welcome"*
Countess of Warwick: such a ragged crowd of crook-backed persons to receive their queen. They act as though they are attending a funeral.
*Messenger rides up*
Messenger: *bows to Queen Marguerite* from Milady Oxenford [2] for her sister, Lady Warwick.
Marguerite: what is your message?
Messenger: there has been a battle at Colchester your Majesty. The king's army against the rebels.
Marguerite: *sarcastically* you don't say. I thought perhaps the duke of Guienne had mistaken Kent for Prague.
Messenger: the county of Kent rose against the king and threw open the city gates for the rebels. The king's soldiers attempted to hold them off but were finally overwhelmed by the earl of March's supporters. The earl entered Colchester the next morning.
Marguerite: and then?
Messenger: he had many of the king's men who had borne arms against him executed. He hs demanded the skin of the prince of Wales - who led the men against him - for a hearth rug [3].
Marguerite: *immediately stricken* Edward led the men?
Messenger: yes, your Majesty. Many of those in London decided that they should rather follow him than Milord Warwick.
Marguerite: *glares accusingly at the Nevilles* mark my words, Lady Warwick, if I find that your husband has played us falsely, his head will join the earl of March's on London Bridge.
*The Nevilles look suitably worried*
Marguerite: where is Edward now?
Messenger: he and his men are safely at Braintree, Majesty.
Marguerite: who is with him?
Messenger: Milord Montagu, Clifford [4] and Oxenford. The duke of Exeter perished in the battle [5] and Milord Warwick was borne from the field clinging to his horse lest the earl of March capture him as he did the duke of Clarence.
Isabel Neville: George was captured?
Messenger: by Milord Percy, Madam.
Marguerite: the Percies have turned on King Henry so?
Messenger: aye, Majesty.
Marguerite: who is in London with the king?
Messenger: the duke of Somerset and Milord Pembroke, Majesty. It was believed that they would be able to be trusted with charge of the king.
Marguerite: *to messenger* return to Braintree. Tell the prince of Wales and Milord Oxenford to withdraw to London at once. We cannot allow the capital to fall or the king to be captured again.

*Raises arm for the soldiers to continue marching*

*Fade to black*

[1] I'm not sure that Marguerite brought any soldiers with her, although, according to the correspondence of the Milanese ambassador, her ships did carry horses for the Lancastrian war effort, which might imply that there were soldiers aboard. After all, it seems rather ridiculous to be bringing war horses- which the Bretons attempted to capture at sea- but no soldiers or guns.
[2] the 13e Earl of Oxford was married to Margaret Neville, the Kingmaker's sister
[3] why not channel a bit of Shakespeare. Although in Henry VI it is Warwick's skin Edward demands
[4] John Neville, marquess of Montagu. The 10e Baron Clifford was his ward, so it stands to reason he'd be present
[5] Edward IV's brother-in-law nearly died at Barnet OTL

I like your portrayal of Marguerite.....
thank you. I tend to find that she either gets cast/played as some warmongering virago or an icy, power-hungry bitch. While both are certainly possible, I suspect the "truth" is that she was a woman stepping up to the plate because her husband couldn't. No contemporary account of her mother or grandmother depicts them as such, and both played large parts in her upbringing. So I veered between the shrewd politician (the threat to the Countess of Warwick and the ordering Oxford back to London), the worried mother/wife (concerned for her son/husband), and the selfish bitch (she hears about Clarence being captured and Warwick clinging to the horse, but she displays no sympathy for either wife/daughter-in-law).
Well there's no doubt that edward is henry v's grandson
was there any doubt? Personally I'd like to think that it was one of those instances where he had to be (physically) dragged from making a doomed final charge (although I'm not sure who would've had the power to do that*).

*Warwick might've, under ordinary circumstances, but if he's wounded so bad as described, it's unlikely Edward would've listened to a man he has no reason to listen to. Exeter would've (theoretically) had the highest command (after Edward), but he's dead. So again, unlikely.

was there any doubt? Personally I'd like to think that it was one of those instances where he had to be (physically) dragged from making a doomed final charge (although I'm not sure who would've had the power to do that*).

*Warwick might've, under ordinary circumstances, but if he's wounded so bad as described, it's unlikely Edward would've listened to a man he has no reason to listen to. Exeter would've (theoretically) had the highest command (after Edward), but he's dead. So again, unlikely.
Not to me but weren’t there rumors IOTL that he was the product of an affair between Marguerite and Edmund Beaufort?

@Kellan Sullivan , good chapter, really liked your portrayal of margaret!
thank you. As I say, I'm trying to steer clear of the whole "vindictive woman"/bad queen characterization one finds in a lot of Yorkist descriptions of her, but also avoid relying too heavily on More and Shakespeare's "sanitizing" of Marguerite/Edward. As for Edward IV's reaction to the prince of Wales escaping, I'm thinking it's one of those remarks divorced from context, perhaps even a game of historical Chinese whispers. The messenger himself didn't hear Edward saying it, but he heard it from someone bringing the report from the battle, who also wouldn't have been present when Edward said it, and heard it after the fact from "someone who did". In reality, Edward might not have even made the remark at all. Or, perhaps, it wasn't even what he meant. If he commented that the prince of Wales "ran like a flushed fox" from battle - more as an attack of the prince of Wales' character by painting him as a coward - it's a short leap from there to "I'm gonna hunt the prince of Wales like a fox" to "I'm gonna have him stuffed and mounted like a hunting trophy" to "I'm gonna use his skin as a hearth rug". Hell, Edward could even have made the comment about skinning about Warwick and it got twisted.

The reason for the comment could be Edward IV's butt-hurt at perhaps, over-estimating his own capabilities or under-estimating his opponent. Perhaps, as @HortenseMancini said, the prince of Wales really is the grandson of Henry V and it caught Edward off guard. That Edward thought "I'm gonna land and nobody's gonna stop me".

Still, makes one wonder if George was "captured" or if he discreetly pulled a Stanley and changed sides, no?

@Zygmunt Stary @Jan Olbracht @Fehérvári : should I go with Charles, Duc de Guienne becoming Charles V of Bohemia or do we think his health problems of OTL* would prevent this?

*apparently Louis XI remarked in May 1471 that "Since my last letter to you I have had news that Monsieur de Guienne is dying and that there is no remedy for his case. One of the most confidential persons about him has advised me by a special messenger that he does not believe he will be alive a fortnight hence.... The person who gave me this information is the monk who repeated his Hours with M. de G[uienne.] I am much abashed at this and have crossed myself from head to foot."

Given that Charles lived another year after this letter, I suspect the gravity of his illness was much exaggerated at the time.

hould I go with Charles, Duc de Guienne becoming Charles V of Bohemia or do we think his health problems of OTL* would prevent this?

Since this is your TL, you can do everything you wants, as long as it's ASB, I suppose that Charles's sickness was curable, so I think you could say he somehow returned back to health, Karlsbad/Karlove Vary had a healing waters, so you could tie his trip to Bohemia with his recovery, saying that they just worked on whatever ilness he had. I also think Charles becoming King of Bohemia is interesting, so go for it.

Since this is your TL, you can do everything you wants, as long as it's ASB, I suppose that Charles's sickness was curable, so I think you could say he somehow returned back to health, Karlsbad/Karlove Vary had a healing waters, so you could tie his trip to Bohemia with his recovery, saying that they just worked on whatever ilness he had.
cool
I also think Charles becoming King of Bohemia is interesting, so go for it.
how do you think he'd do/differ from Vlad Bene?

Well, I doubt he would be such pushover as Vlad Bene was, tho to say anything more I'd need to read up on Vlad's Bene reign in Bohemia, most what I know about his actions come from his reign in Hungary.
one thing I can imagine would be a different relationship with the Hussites, no? Also, Vlad apparently arrived in the kingdom sans army or really (by the sounds of it) the shirt on his back. I can't see Guienne- particularly if he arrives with the backing/approval/blessing of Charles the Bold, Emperor Frederick and Matyas Corvinus (all of whom had reasons to oppose Vlad's choice OTL)

@RedKing @isabella
is a slight retcon in order? That instead of Eleanor Butler, the duke of Somerset marries Cecily Bonville? She's fantastically wealthy, Warwick's niece, and he had already deferred a potential suit from the earl of Pembroke due to not regarding him to be sufficiently noble or or have much in the way of prospects. Yes, I'm aware that her wardship would be held by her mother/stepfather (Lord Hastings), but her uncle offering her to Somerset would be a sort of gamble that Warwick would take. She's only ten (admittedly), but I could see the Lancastrian party agreeing to the match both to provide an income for Somerset (after all, most of the Beaufort wealth went to Margaret Beaufort IIRC) but also to deny said wealth to the Yorkists/Wydevilles.

@RedKing @isabella
is a slight retcon in order? That instead of Eleanor Butler, the duke of Somerset marries Cecily Bonville? She's fantastically wealthy, Warwick's niece, and he had already deferred a potential suit from the earl of Pembroke due to not regarding him to be sufficiently noble or or have much in the way of prospects. Yes, I'm aware that her wardship would be held by her mother/stepfather (Lord Hastings), but her uncle offering her to Somerset would be a sort of gamble that Warwick would take. She's only ten (admittedly), but I could see the Lancastrian party agreeing to the match both to provide an income for Somerset (after all, most of the Beaufort wealth went to Margaret Beaufort IIRC) but also to deny said wealth to the Yorkists/Wydevilles.
Considering who at this point of the story Eleanor would be already dead in OTL (she died in June 1468) I have nothing against it

@RedKing @isabella
Makes sense to me. It’d be a good way to give the Beauforts land to live off without having to revoke it from any nobles who may be amiable to a Lancastrian restoration.