The New World of the White Huns

The South Atlantic is looking to be a significantly more interesting region than OTL. The Kapudesa are the first people in a position to figure out that Brazil is perfect coffee country, since E Africa is the coffee bean's homeland. Has coffee drinking spread TTL? It certainly seems likely to become a custom in Kapudesa, and I could imagine it could have become a custom in Arabia and India during the period of globalization before the Flowering Flesh.

The W Africans are by far in a better position to colonize the area, if only they had the will. They don't have coffee or sugar IIRC so it's not like they can really make money off the investment in ships easily. Brazil does not offer all that much that Africa does not... so if they are going to expand there, they need a motive.

If those fanatical guys to the east of them (Kanem?) decide to take a shot at an African Empire... then we might see Fula princes establish Brazillian statelets.

Watya is the next best candidate to go after Brazil, but they barely have the numbers to colonize South Africa, let alone South America. I imagine that they arr enough of a backwater that the great plague might have passed them by though...

If history mirrors itself, then I think eventually, the Buddhist Rus are going to turn the tables and in time become the pre-eminent Buddhist power in Eurasia, eclipsing both Persia and the Xasar; especially as its demographic advantages continue to grow. You mentioned this already happening to the Garaveldi and their swift collapse, and that they'll later turn south against other Buddhists.

The key will be who winds up with control of the Black Sea coast. Deny this to the Rus and they are effectively landlocked, especially in regards to the important trans-Middle East trade routes. Estonia and alt-Novgorod are culturally Norse and the Baltic Sea seems to be a Danish lake in any case. The Xasars have every incentive to prop up the Kundajids or some other state or annex the area entirely, so it may be an interesting contest. And Rus-Xasar conflict may one day give the Western powers a chance to strike...

Coffee, or "Zanj drink" is popular in the Middle East and probably Kapudesa by 1220 or so, although most of the world will associate it with the Tayzig and Ethiopians rather than the Savahilan states. Naturally it will keep spreading, although it's not something that I think will have as much appeal in a world where no major religion prohibits alcohol outright.

I don't think Kanem is strong enough to sweep over West Africa and unite it - even if they were, their attitudes towards religion would conflict harshly with a still largely pagan continent with its own complex cultural and religious traditions.

Watya has more land than it knows what to do with, yeah. And the Kapudesa and their neighbors are too few in number to really get into the settling business. At the best we'd maybe see some merchant quarters in foriegn cities.

The Xasar are still very scared of a united Frankish Empire. Antagonizing the Rus in their own backyard seems unwise to the Shahs in Konstantikert, I would expect. But I guess much depends on what becomes of the Franks, and how long Europe remains a united empire.

Edit: I haven't entirely decided how the Flowering Flesh will change global politics, but it's gonna be huge. Expect a lot of tradiational power structures to adapt or die. But first I've got to catch up to the (very unlucky) thirteenth century.

Last edited:
The Kanem don't need to be strong enough to conquer all of W Africa... They just need to be strong enough to take a big chunk of it. Seeing as they are, as you mention, at odds with the native religious culture, I imagine people will start to flee their rule sooner or later. Then you will have a knock-on effect where migrating peoples take over/cause the collapse of states further West while at the same time straining the carrying capacity of the land more than before. I could see a few more princes decide to pull a Nfansou if they felt their position at home was precarious.

What's the status of Sao Tome and other South Atlantic islands? Someone must have stumbled on them by now...

The Xasars may not want to antagonize the Franks but the Rus are probably under no such apprehensions. Would they sit back and let the Byalarussians box them in to the west?

Last edited:
I'm kinda sad that the Frankish empire seems about to die. I find the idea of a China-esque Europe, with many different but still united cultures to be quite interesting.

I'm kinda sad that the Frankish empire seems about to die. I find the idea of a China-esque Europe, with many different but still united cultures to be quite interesting.

Chinese dynasties rose and fell all the time. Who says that won't be the case with European Empire?

I think there's a decent chance that the Roman Empire's fall OTL might be seen as more of an interdynastic or warring states period... maybe, by somebody with a not too nuanced version of history.

Last edited:
I really liked look into the Forest Kingdoms and the birth of indirect trade with the Kapudesans. The trade around the Cape going both ways is making the south Atlantic into a very alien place by OTL's standards. It's a quite refreshing dynamic, I feel.

Heresy Intensifies
Springtime for Practical Lobster and Germany, Winter for Polonia and Frankia

The Polish lords saw which way the wind was blowing from early on, but stubbornness kept them from converting to Christianity until after their King was finally baptised by a Papal Legate in 1128. The Polish turned on their old holy groves and priests, setting both aflame if they could not be repurposed. Totemic statues to their traditional deities were torched together in what became known as the Bonfire of the Gods, and the inhabitants of the royal monastery were massacred three days later, their books becoming new kindling for the Bonfire of the Gods.

Thus the new Catholic Kingdom of Poland was born in blood and fire, and turned fatally and irrevocably against the old ways. Wandering Buddhist holy men fled to Bylarus or the Xasar Shahdom, spreading tales of horrific atrocities. Poland had only ever been lightly "Easternized" by the standards of the Rus, and thus it was relatively easy for them to cast aside their old traditions. Furthermore, the Buddhist monarchy had a habit of persecuting the traditional priesthood which left their homefront divided.

The attacks on Buddhists and Old Believers were not so much the fanaticism of the newly coverted as they were part of a systematic plan by the nobility to reassert control over the nation. After a few years, the nobles turned their attention to German settlers within their country with equal ferocity. If the German settlers complained to their local lords, as they did throughout the 20's and 30's, their complaints fell on deaf ears. No Votive War would be waged while the Frankish crown was up for grabs, and even when the war settled down, the Franco-German elites preferred to work with their fellow Christians among the Polish nobility. They saw the Polish aristocracy as potential allies on the frontier and a new buffer to keep their lands safe, even if they viewed the Slavic peasantry as a mass of rebellious savages. Accordingly by 1140, intermarriage between frontier lords was common. The King of the Germans even entertained a Polish prince in Metz at the wedding of his daughter in 1143, a total reversal from their ancient enmity.

The German nobility of the time is difficult to understand for a modern observer. As often as they and their contemporaries viewed them as distinct from the Franks, such views are complicated by how deeply similar they were. The German nobles maintained a unique identity as a distinct "nation", but they were married, both literally and figuratively, to the Franco-Roman concept of Imperium.

If they had a protonationalist identity as a people distinct from the Franks, that identity was very different than that of their varied peasantry. Germany, as an expanding frontier, was more martial and feudal than Francia. An aristocratic German landholder felt little kinship with either the decadent and "unchristian" lords of the south or the peasants whose lands he ostensibly was defender of, who spoke different and lesser dialects. The German lord peppered his language with Latin loanwords and spoke with a courtly accent whose similarity to Frankish he would never admit. He regarded himself, ideally, as a warrior for Christ and considered himself wholly above both commerce and the pastoral villa-life of Ispana. Moneylending was anathema to the Germans, and combined with pogroms against what few Jews lived in Germany, this had ensured the country was remarkably free of banking.

By contrast, the German peasant was fiercely independent and often self-sustaining. Tenant labor, so common in the rest of Europe, was comparitively rare in Germany, where a sort of "middle gentry" had developed of wealthy and productive rural landholding peasants, who saw the church and aristocracy as interlinked, corrupt, and undeserving. It was this society that would rise into its own when the Flowering Flesh smashed serfdom and decimated the feudal landholders. Theirs was a culture of folklore and oral tradition, rather than the inherited Latinate culture of the German aristocrats, whose identity was far more indebted to the Romans than they could ever admit.

The common people saw the Franco-German nobles as a holdover from a long gone era. Particularly in the growing cities of Germany, the German commoner was an increasingly educated and wealthy force, mirroring developments across Europe. The German burgher understood the world around him - he was often literate and he often felt that the Frankish state was an impediment on him. He felt unrepresented by the Landstag, the great Diet of Germany, and this feeling would only grow as time went on.

Other changes only exacerbated this. In the Low Countries, the people considered themselves Deutsch, not Frankish. They had mixed with the Norse traders and raiders who had come to the region, and here, where manufacturing and trade was booming, the rural aristocrats truly had a weak grip on power.

When the Flowering Flesh came, it is no wonder that the Frankish Empire collapsed. In 1174, it was brought to the brink by another succession cisis. Aloysius the Blond's weak and inept rule had left a power vacuum which was met by rebellions in Ispana and Germany alike. Backed by an army of "Moors," Augustus I (Augustus III de Toulouse of Spain) seized power and unlike his predecessors did not take the ruling name Aloysius, seeking to distance himself from his cousin's weak rule and evoke the grandeur of Rome. However, Augustus maintained his power by doubling the list of salaried Palatines, including many Moorish officers among their ranks. The Crown debased both gold and silver coinage to pay for its excesses, and ultimately found itself in debt to a number of Italian banking houses, whose loans were formally considered "gifts" that carried conditions of political infuence.

In 1222, half a century after Augustus I, Aloysius XIV ruled, and the "Moorish Regency" was in full swing. Germany, the Low Countries and Ispana were independent in all but name, and Lords and Cities alike defied Imperial decree. The particularist and centrifugal forces gripping the Empire were tearing it apart at the seams. Lords and cities could wage open warfare against each other, and both sought to hire substantial foriegn contingents to bolster their armies, frequently making use of Berber and African slave soldiers as a professional mainstay of their armies.

The Plague brought a quick end to violence and Empire alike. Concentrated armies were particularly vulnerable to disease, and accordingly most forces raised after 1222 were nothing more than breeding grounds for plague, which during the Siege of Pavia annihilated 80% of the Medolanese attackers. The Pavians hailed this as a divine blessing until the disease struck their town a week later.

Augustus' heirs were not incompetent, as they are often portrayed. Aloysius III in particular was an intelligent and thoughtful man, assassinated by his Chamberlain far too young. The problem was quite simply that circumstances stood against them. A strong Emperor was a threat to a strong court. A weak Emperor couldn't preserve the Empire. A strong court invariably turned on themselves. As the Empire declined, there was a sense that various factions could extract further privileges, and since the first Emperor precedents had existed for such tactics - did Italy not safeguard their position in the Empire through the Pope?

For its part, the Papacy of the era was rendered similarly inept. It had been a long time coming. Investiture laws had abolished all difference between clergy and aristocracy, and bound the two together inseparably. Italian Legates used their family members in the Church to determine the next Pope, and through the twelfth century the Pope that deferred to the Emperor on every decision of consequence was the Pope who enjoyed a long life.

As the Frankish Empire collapsed, many decided to take advantage. It did not take too much foresight to realize that those who acted first would be able to define the new order of things. The "Peripheral Kingdoms" of Christian Europe struck first - the Danes and Poles would clash over the fate of the Baltic while the Moravians and Barvarians struggled to decide their new boundaries. The Xasar would take advantage as well. Their fleet was stronger than ever, built from Rusichi timber and crewed by Rhomaniki sailors. As the Flowering Flesh died down swept through Attika in 1232 and established a vast fortified harbor and arsenal at Dyrrakhiu on the Adriatic, challenging Frankish dominion of the Mediterranean. The “heathen Chasar” would emerge from the plague savaged but intact, while the Frankish Empire collapsed into the worst anarchy in its history. If the Plague could be said to have a winner, it was the rural peasantry and those who would exploit the devotion of the peasantry to their own ends, especially various heretic and particularistic movements.

Tanianism[1]

What is Tanianism? The specter of the “Moorysh Heresy” as Saunt Adhar of Northumbria called it, “Dwells in the bosom of the southron, inclined as he is to debauchery and all manner of indolence.”

He was right to identify Tanianism with the Moors, or Mauri. Although the etymology of the name is lost to history[2], some have speculated that it relates to “Tanio” or “Tanius” or some translated Mauri name. The first reference to “Tanianitus” or Tanianism comes centuries later, in Italy, from the Cassadorian monk Isidoro of Verona, although certain heretical movements in Mauri Africa have been recognized by historians as relating to the Tanian tradition.

The Tanian religion itself is generally recognized as a belief system founded from disparate influences. While it is ostensibly an Abrahamic faith, its followers believed in reincarnation, and more specifically that the soul could not reach union with god without first going through many reincarnations. The Tanians were thus deeply obsessed with discerning the lives of past souls, and for this gained a reputation for fortune-telling and magic. Out of the Ein Sof, the endless, they believed had come many souls, of which God and Satan were the two equivalent and greatest. When one reached the highest levels of the order, one learned that the Pope himself was the direct agent of Satan, set on the earth to lead people away from union with the divine. Satan was concerned with worldly power and order, with schemes and machines, and sought rulership by proxy over the material world. God, by contrast, was a God of love, pleasure, and sensual delight. In happy acceptance one could find transcendence, in ecstatic orgiastic revelry, one could find true joy. The Tanians, despite often being associated with Gnostics and Autotheists, were set apart by this hedonism.

One of the more curious Tanian beliefs, and one of the most difficult to verify as true, is the claim that the Tanians were a “suicide cult” of sorts. Many detractors claimed that the Tanians believed choosing the appointed hour of your death was both holy and the best way to exert control over one’s soul and reincarnation. Whatever the case, the Tanians were deeply secretive and wealthy, and their religion, whatever it may have started as, slowly morphed from heresy and mystery cult into a secret society, a hedonistic club for the wealthy and powerful that had little meaning to typical peasants who lacked the money and resources to be debauched and obscene. The Tanianism received so much focus from the Catholic Church speaks to the concerns of the Church - keeping pure their own ranks was judged more important than doctrinal consistency among rural peasants, who were allowed form their heresies with far less persecution and molestation.

At the time of the Flowering Flesh, the cities and villas of Southern France and Northern Italy counted many Tanians among their ranks, including the latest Exarch of Provence, Marcelo d’Boso, and the local lords Anselm d'Indrois and Himnario di Taormina.

[1] And here I am awestruck that I haven’t written about it before.

[2] I forgot why I named it that.

How distinct are the Low Countries from Germany TTL? I would imagine that with the imperial capital being in Aachen they might feel more connected to their Teutonic brethren....

At the risk of crafting a perfectly ambiguous response, how the Low Countries are regarded ITTL will probably depend on their ultimate fate. There are certainly cultural differences, but that is true of pretty much every region of Germany, France, etc. It's almost a misnomer to speak of a Germany and France, given that all of the Empire is a patchwork of overlapping duchies, provinces, etc. Circuits of Legates and territories of Dukes and Counts needn't align in any meaningful way, and the jurisdiction of Palatines is whatever Imperial fiat decrees, while the Landstag, German, and Ispanian crowns all have their own royal jurisdictions as well.

As of now, the Low Countries, like Aachen and other regions see themselves caught in between Francia and Germania. However, their prominent burghers and nobles generally like united Europe conceptually - it's good for business and keeps tariffs low, and they fear change. They don't have the frontier martial spirit in any case.

The key will be who winds up with control of the Black Sea coast. Deny this to the Rus and they are effectively landlocked, especially in regards to the important trans-Middle East trade routes. Estonia and alt-Novgorod are culturally Norse and the Baltic Sea seems to be a Danish lake in any case. The Xasars have every incentive to prop up the Kundajids or some other state or annex the area entirely, so it may be an interesting contest. And Rus-Xasar conflict may one day give the Western powers a chance to strike...
Xasar-Chernorus enmity is a possibility, but I fail to see the rationale in it from the Xasar standpoint. Why would they want to deny the Rusichi access to the Black Sea, except the mere desire (rather irrational one) to put themselves on a collision course with them? Xasars themselves have access to the Mediterranean and the Black seas already. If Rusichi gain access to the Black Sea, then the Xasar can make huge profits from charging Rusichi merchants the Bosphorus Toll for the right to pass through the Marmara Sea. Deprive them the access to the Black Sea, and you're either forced to fight them (for what gain?) or you effectively stir Chernorusian expansion toward the Baltic Sea, allowing the Danes grow rich on the Sound Toll. To add to that, I'd like to point out that the OTL "Path from the Danes to the Greeks" (a trade network that connected the Baltic with the Mediterranean and Caspian seas via the Russian Plain rivers) would be a very profitable venture both for the Rus and the Xasars as long as they keep normal business relations. Maybe I miss some point here, but to me it looks like the Xasar Shahdom and Chernorus have nothing to fight over, while their collaboration comes as a natural and profitable policy. Some conflicts and competition will arise, I'm sure of that, but I don't see it as a Rome vs. Carthage kind of struggle.

I like how this update depicts Germany as effectively a free march society for the Western Europe, not unlike the Cossacks in the history of OTL Russia: proud, fiercely independent, essentially a mixture between an ethnicity and a social strata. Of course, there are plenty of differences, but it was interesting how Germany keeps on developing.

Besides, I'm naturally interested in learning how Byalarus keeps developing. All looks like Polania would be on a crash course with them soon, and I fail to see how Polania can get out of that fight alive in a long run. If anything, Polania may prove to be Byalarusian first imperialist venture and their first try in "acting Xasar." Not sure if they'd be able to succeed much beyond that and I certainly see that they could bog down in guerrilla warfare against the Polanians for another century or two. Essentially, Polania may become to Byalarus what Serbia became to the Ottomans in OTL.

Finally, I love the development of Africa in this timeline. The Fula seem to be more of a martial power rather than an industrial or a mercantile one, not dissimilar to OTL Spain of the 16th century. I think it's likely they either get separated from their Mehican colonies or simply collapse their economy with runaway inflation.

P.S. What's the value of ivory in this timeline? I wonder how much African hinterland may be worth for colonizers if they face a decent rise in demand for that luxury item.

P.P.S. Practical Lobster, did you consider how new Eurasian species introduced to Madagascar, Solvia/America, and Australia can be affecting the environment there? Since this timeline features great discoveries on the much earlier stage of agricultural development, environmental impact of new species may be much different than in OTL.

Ivory is a valuable trade good that will continue to rise in value in coming decades. Now is the time to invest in your local Kapudesan Sangha/Joint Company! Ivory will never be this cheap again!

I have considered it for Madagascar and New Zealand. It's honestly kind of bleak - I expect a lot of native critters have been wiped out inadvertantly. The larger agricultural population of Izaoriaka can't but have a negative impact, and I think we'll be near ASB levels of lucky if New Zealand's bird life survives till "modern day."

Some aspiring readers have sent me books on the flora and fauna of the Columbian exchange, but I'm afraid I haven't had the time to read them yet. I want to do the subject justice, and I'm not yet confident I can do so.

Bakhtiyar
The Fortunate Ones in Egypt and Beyond

The Bakhtiyar state of Akhsau Mansar did not long outlive his death, and even in his old age it was collapsing. The ensuing wars of successors would see the emergence of great warlords but few real polities. Akhsau had possessed the pseudo-divine charisma and gravitas to yoke the fractious Tayzig tribes together and bring many previously distinct Arab clans into his new factitious identity of Bakhtiyar. His successors lacked this charisma, and accordingly, the whole enterprise fell into disorder with remarkable swiftness.

The governor of Syria, Gashayar Harun, made the clearest case to succeed Akhsau Mansar as a Regent of sorts over the whole Empire, a title he referred to as “Khalefeh” or Steward. Despite having several wives, Mansar had only a single child, a sickly daughter who was rumored to be a bastard in any case. Once the Great Shah’s corpse was cold, these rumors flared out into the open. At first, Gashayar worked to suppress these rumors, but as the other successors turned against him, he simply dispensed with all formality and had the daughter, Asma, strangled to death. Henceforth, he and the other kings would refer to themselves as Sah or Malkusah. The title of Khalefeh would come to represent a sort of vizier figure who held substantial power in the state.

Unlike the Khardi, the Tayzig identity proved more robust throughout the Near East. Where the Khardi often assimilated into local groups, especially the Ifthal, the Tayzig remained distinct and often incorporated others into itself. Various reasons have been proposed for this – the first, and perhaps most simple, is that the Khardi themselves identified as Iranians, but even in their triumphs saw their own culture as inferior to the broader Iranian civilization of which they were a part. They emulated the Ifthal and Iranian nobility they conquered. Another theory relates to the agricultural collapse of Mesopotamia in the wake of the Tayzig invasions and the great plague – silted and salinized fields saw an end to Khardi agricultural practices and led to their rapid assimilation into the conquering Tayzig. Whatever the case, the remaining Khardi were ultimately driven into the northern hill country in many cases. While substantial populations endured in northern Mesopotamia and around Susa, the central Khardi successor states were overrun. A final theory, and the most recent and widely accepted one, is simply that the term Tayzig, with its origins as a vague ethnic slur for pastoralists, was broadened to accommodate more and more people – that the Khardi, Arabs, and Ifthal all simply became “Tayzig” and in time linguistic and cultural barriers were redefined as regional dialects and differences.

By the dawn of the thirteenth century, the Bakhtiyar successors ruled five major states – Egypt, centered on the old Khardi Satrapy; Syria, a sprawling state encompassing Palestine, Cilicia, Syria itself, and parts of Osrhoene; Asoristan, centered on Nasibin; and Zwaristan, centered on the southern city of Herat-on-the-Euphrates; and Iran itself, whose rulers were the half Turkish Ansara Suf dynasty. Anatolia had fallen to the Xasar in its entirety, and a new, Christian kingdom of Armenia was on the rise in the north, reasserting itself after centuries of Buddhist dominion. Isolated and fortified, it gained a reputation as a sort of hermit kingdom, an antique and out of place state, but it nevertheless survived the horrors of the Plague and the brutal ravaging of the Bakhtiyar.

After the Great Plague, the Bakhtiyar would emerge as the bringers of a new golden age. If their era was more warlike or brutal than what had come before, it was also an era of philosophical and technological achievement, spurred on by proximity to India and the constant flow of travelers from Europe to Asia and vice versa. Philosophers such as Khatir the Red educated the Malkusah of Egypt, Wahrama Mansar, leaving him with a life-long love of learning. Iskandara on the Nile, a city which had long suffered under the Khardi, was restored and resettled by the Tayzig. The Yippokupti, brutal enforcers whose widely corrupt rule was associated with Khardi despotism, were removed from power. If the Tayzig brought in many settlers from overcrowded Arab regions, they were also extremely, unprecedentedly tolerant. The brutality of the Khardi was overnight replaced with lenience. The Patriarch of Alexandria was allowed to return to Iskandara, and the Tayzig, despite being largely Buddhists and Pagan-Buddhists, hosted religious debates and scholars of all creeds in the capital, allowing Arab Nestorians to play an equal role in government alongside them. Indeed, it was the Nestorian Arab architect Isa al-Jaffani who constructed the great Buddhist monastery at Artaxserabad and was for three decades royal architect, designing the distinctive Tayzig Quarter of Iskandara, and the new Royal Palace. Hesanopolis was abandoned and reclaimed by the desert, a sign of both Coptic and Khardi rule that the Bakhtiyar had no desire to associate themselves with.

This religious tolerance should perhaps not be too surprising. The original followers of Akhsau contained substantial Nestorian Arab and Saihist pagan elements, and although Akhsau himself was a Buddhist-Pagan whose religious beliefs had a profound effect on the later convictions of his followers, such tolerance was actually relatively commonplace in Tayzig Arabia, particularly in the early decades before the Bakhtiyar became more solidified as a movement with distinctly Iranian religious overtones.

Egypt prospered as well by the Canal of Akhsau – built with the help of a vast force of (paid) levied labor, and the expertise of Sindhi mathematicians and monks, the Grand Canal once again linked the Nile and the Red Sea - allowing the efficient transport of goods and ensuring that sailors would only have to pay a single royal tariff to go from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea. The guild placed in control of its management was a joint Bakhtiyar and Bharukacchan venture, speaking to the increasing political influence of Bharukaccha and the secondary status of Copts even in the new tolerant regime. The mercantile and urban class of the new Egypt would be Buddhist Arab-Iranians and their Indian trading partners.

[Most of the Bakhtiyar states will primarily be discussed in post-Flowering-Flesh pages, as will the state of Iran and Armenia. However, I felt that another Egyptian update would be good. The Khardi left deep scars in Egypt when they conquered it, but I felt the region deserved something of a break. While they’re still under foreign rule, at least the Bakhtiyar are relatively unconcerned with persecution and exploitation.]

Ethiopia

The Horn of Africa has long been called the “Tapestry of Nations” and not without reason. As a descriptor it reaches back to the antique era of the Hawiya monarchy, when Jains, Christians, Buddhists and Saihists lived in harmony and perhaps a hundred different tribes and languages coexisted under the benign hegemony of the Hawiya Kings. To the south dwelled the Somali, a people largely under the thumb of the Pazudesada – coastal cities such as Makdish, Zeil, and Barbira provided trade ports and entrepots, but did primarily for the Savahila to their south, whose guilds made unequal partnerships with the ruling clans of the Somalia cities. Inland, the tribes, who some travelers to the region confused with the Berbers, were cattle-herders and generally pastoralist and deeply divided. Feuding and raiding prevented the rise of an organized polity to equal the Hawiya, and left the whole region rather destitute in the eyes of travelers seeking to spread the word of Christ or the Dharma. Merchants generally avoided the interior, given the aridity of the region. The potent spice and coffee growing regions were either in Arabia, or better reached from other ports.

The interior and highlands were Christian regions, with substantial communities who did trade in Zanj drink and coffee. While contemporary histories describe various warrior-kings, with Kushitic names such as Yikunno and Amdesiyo, there is little evidence, archeological or otherwise, for any sort of stable polity in the region. The rich urban centers of the highlands existed in a symbiotic relationship with their monastery communities. The monasteries provided centers of education, hospitals, and staffed the churches of the region, and in exchange they were fed and defended by the townsfolk. The monastic communities preserved the ancient poetry and oral traditions of the Amhara and Shoa, and provided schooling to the rural gentry’s sons.

The monastery communities had an informal series of alliances based on the “Lake Hayk School” – most of their leaders had studied under someone who had studied at Lake Hayk, and accordingly routine pilgrimages were made back to this holy site. Every few years, these gatherings would discuss the broader politics of the region, but given the rarity of these meetings and the dangers involved in getting to them, it was an ineffective and reactive institution at best.

The counterweight to these urban centers were the “camp kings” – a phenomenon commonplace among the Bedja and elsewhere among the Ethiopians – rulers whose power extended not far beyond their military camps. These rulers were effectively parasitic, demanding “tribute” and remaining constantly on a war footing so as to feed and pay their retainers. Despite being widely hated and feared by the populace, they had the only professional military forces in the country, and accordingly were indispensable during times of outside invasion, such as would happen near the dawn of the thirteenth century.

Along the coasts, there were two great city states, Gidaya and Adulis, both of whom clung to power along the hinterlands, and defied the anarchy of the interior. Adulis, the city of gardens, was an architectural miracle and a peaceful trading center defended by alliances with the local camp kings. The looming red sandstone walls and basalt palaces of the city made it an impossibly wealthy prize, but also one that could call on too many favors to be destroyed. By contrast, Gidaya had no such protection. The last stronghold of the Hawiya, its power to resist the camp kings gradually diminished until in 1163 it was overrun once and for all by a camp king by the name of Yakob-Dawit, who sacked the city and forced the Hawiya monarchy to flee to Yemen. With the defeat of the “last heathen king”, Yakob tore down the last Buddhist monastery on the Horn and made his camp several miles outside of Gidaya for the next few years, extorting the local landholders before moving onwards back into the interior.

Ten years later, in 1176, a full-scale Arab invasion of Ethiopia began. Aimed at placing a Hawiya monarch in control of as much of the region as possible, it was a curious venture, the first of its kind. Mahatitta, the great financial center of Sri Lanka, had paid for thousands of Indian guild-warriors and Arab mercenaries to assemble in Yemen, where they had the backing of a fleet of Arab merchant ships. Often called the “first colonial war” the Hawiya War was a curious and polyglot thing, utterly chaotic and completely without clear and orderly leadership. Mahatittan paymasters, exiled Hawiya lords, and Arab princes fought for who should be in charge of the venture, and by the time it launched, the expedition was on the verge of collapse.

Gidaya itself and its hinterlands could not support such a large army. The joint Arab-Indian army was forced to fan out across the countryside, where it encountered stiff resistance. The Camp-Kings unified under one of their number, a powerful warlord named Amdesiyo, who travelled to Lake Hayk and gained the blessing of the most senior Abbot there. Subsequently, he crowned himself King of Amhara and Defender of the Faith, and set out with a broad coalition to defeat the invaders.

His subsequent victories and final triumph at Gidaya became the foundational myth of the Ethiopian state. His army swept the Arab-Indian forces into the ocean, despite the enemies having vast stocks of firepowder and disciplined ranks of heavy archers and Arab cavalry. The battle, according to legend, lasted four days. The Arab horse were repulsed after an opening assault on the Gidaya camp, after which the Indian forces fortified the landscape around Gidaya, constructing earthen ramparts behind which firespears and archers could take cover. They inflicted horrific losses on the light cavalry of the Camp Kings, slaughtering wave after wave of horsemen with shrapnel blasts from the fire spears and disciplined volleys by some of the finest archers in the world.

However, by the third day the firepowder reserves were running dry, and reinforcements had arrived from the local hills. The town levies who came fought as archers and spearmen, and traded volleys at range before a lockstep wall of spearmen drove the firespears off the ramparts. The fourth day of battle was an assault on the ruined walls of Gidaya – close hand-to-hand fighting in which the pretender King of Hawiya fell. The fighting was visceral and intense, with the heavily armored infantry of the guilds fighting for their lives. The epic accounts of the day describe how it was exhaustion which saw them succumb in the end, and when Amdesiyo saw the carnage of the fighting, the ranks of men fallen in pooling blood, the horses and men gored by spears and riddled with arrows, the charred ruin of the ramparts where firepowder had been used to such horrific effect, he declared that there could be no celebrating their victory.

And yet, as the sun set on the final day, according to legend a cross was seen in the sky, a sign that God had brought his children a great triumph.

Last edited:
Interesting. "The first colonial war" was an expected fluke, but I think Indian maritime states are just starting to learn the tricks of the trade. In a century or so, they could be prepared for a proper "export of enlightenment" to many corners of the world.

The canal connecting the Mediterranean and the Red seas seems to be built in the least profitable time. Frankish Europe is in crisis, so their export and import has decreased. Indian and East-African states are already starting to see more value in the New World and West Africa than in Europe. Xasars and whoever gets access to the north Black Sea shore are the ones who might benefit from that canal in the next 50 years. Italian and Ispanian sub-states may also see some economic growth thanks to cheaper access to Indian and maybe even Chinese goods. But for the next 50-80 years, this canal seems to be like an architectural miracle with limited return value.

I find it kind of a hilarious turn of fate that Akhsau Mansar built the canal right as one of its biggest custimers so to speak collapsed and then a global plague decided to wipe out maybe a third of humanity in five years. However, that's not to say it isn't useful, just a poor RoI.

This was an awkward stutter step towards global dominion, but in the immediate future, White Huns world will remain deeply multipolar. If South India has invented capitalism so to speak, China has the proto-industrial revolution going for it, and Indonesia remains obscenely *flush with cash* - meanwhile America lies open for expeditions and whatnot from Europe.

I've also been considering an alt version of the Chinese Treasure Fleets that reaches Europe and America, in maybe 1260 but I wanted to get an idea for how sensible that was from my readership first.

Nice update. Seems that in spite of a more thorough ravaging by pastoralists than OTL, an *Ethiopian Christian state of some size is still going to emerge. Not sure about Chinese treasure fleets: are we talking about something like OTLs 1400s efforts, taking advantage of the Egyptian canal to visit Europe as well as East Africa and Arabia, or a precursor to a more determinedly expansive Chinese policy?

(I'm not sure you get a proper industrial revolution without a capitalist framework: at least I'd expect things to be rather badly slowed without effective property rights, banking systems and financial instruments, etc.)

The Chinese Treasure Fleet idea is a bit wild, but glorious. I say, if you do go for it, then let the Chinese buy (like, literally purchase) Sokotra and Malta as supply stations.

However, a big question is: what do the Chinese really need from Europe? The only resource they really lack right now is iron ore, which would be useful indeed in their proto-industrial efforts. However, Chernorus' expansion toward the Ural mountains may put Chernorusichi in possession of a lot of natural resources Kitai needs. If Chernorus manages to establish a secure way of delivering it to China (say, using the Ob and Irtish rivers and then joining the old Silk Road near the Tarim Basin), that could create a very profitable exchange for both.

BTW, proto-industrialization of China may give Kitai a strong need to start some sort of colonization or resource exploitation of Siberia and the Amur region. For all same reasons: timber and iron are gonna be the fuel of their economy right now.

@B_Munro , I'm believe the Kitai China I've described has property rights, banking systems, and financial instruments - although the latter is more or less only in relation to the South Indian joint-stock companies and guilds. But I don't see a proper Industrial revolution happening for a while.

@Ahigin , the Chinese don't need too much from Europe yet, but you're right that Siberia and the Amur region are rich in useful resources.

I can't envision the Chinese buying Sokotra, given that at this point Sokotra is an independent polity of Christian Arabs and a small Pazudesadan trade mission. I don't think there's any precedent in history for a sovereign state selling itself, and I doubt it would fall into the Chinese sphere of influence given its extreme distance from Kitai. This is Yemen, Kapudesa, and Chandratreya's backyard - I don't think they'd take kindly to Chinese presence if it became imperial to that degree. Malta is a Mauri-colonized island whose local lord is a vassal of the Duke (or Exarch, I don't have my notes in front of me) of Sicily. It could presumably be purchased, but why? The Canal that the Bakhtiyar built isn't big enough for the sorts of ships that the Chinese will be utilizing, so they'll have to swing around Africa and thus Malta makes almost no sense.

I'm seeing this mostly as a vast and expensive diplomatic and prestige mission whose main impact will be the sort of "out of context shock" it provides to the rest of the world. Although getting a smaller, secondary fleet to explore the north Procellaric Ocean would be a great benefit. Maybe I could even get them to find America via a northern route? Or is that too absurd?