• Just Oklahoma City

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Just Louisville

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT NEWS IN DECEMBER 2008 PART 1
DECEMBER 1st 2008
FIRST BIG SIGNING OF MLB OFF-SEASON: MANNYWOOD CONTINUES AS SLUGGER REACHED 3 YEAR EXTENSION WITH THE DODGERS
ESPN .COM

Manny Ramirez will remain and possibly end his career with the Los Angeles Dodgers as he has sign a 3 year extension with them with a option for 2013.
The 36 year old showed that he still had what it took in 2008 as with both the Red Sox and the Dodgers has he hit his 500th career home run knocking down the doors for Cooperstown.

DECEMBER 3rd 2008
MLB .COM
POSTSEASON HERO DUNN RESIGNS WITH THE METS

Adam Dunn has decided to resign with the New York Mets for a 3 year deal.

Dunn was seen as the postseason hero for the Mets has he hit the game winning home run in the NL Wild Card game against the Marlins and hit the home run that helped sent the Mets to the World Series.

“I can’t wait to see what I am gonna do for the Mets in the future. I think it’s gonna be exciting.”

DECEMBER 5th 2008
EW .COM
BERNIE MAC TO CO STAR IN IRON MAN 2

Bernie Mac will reportedly co star in Iron Man 2. It is unknown what role he will take but rumors going around saying that it will be James Rhodes/War Machine Iron Man’s close personal friend.

Mac will reportedly be in the upcoming Transformers sequels directed by Michael Bay.

DECEMBER 6th 2008
FLORIDA KNOCKS OFF LSU IN SEC CHAMPION GAME SET TO PLAY USC IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

The Florida Gators got revenge on the LSU Tigers in the SEC National Championship game Saturday as they were able to hold off a 2nd half comeback by the Tigers to win 38-34 in a classic in Atlanta.

The Gators will likely be returning to the National Championship Game where they will be take on the number 1 ranked team in the nation the undefeated USC Trojans.

Last edited:
NEWS IN DECEMBER 2008 PART 2
DECEMBER 9th 2008
NBA LEGEND CHARLES BARKEY TEASES ARIZONA SENATE RUN IN 2010.
CNN .COM

Legendary Phoenix Suns power forward and Hall of Famer Charles Barkley teased a Senate run for President Elect John McCain’s former seat in the 2010 midterms.

Barkley a proud Republican and big supporter of John McCain has played with the idea of being in political as he almost ran for governor of Alabama this year for 2010 however he backed out of it eventually.

We shall see if this time he goes ahead with it.

DECEMBER 12th 2008
ECONOMY SHOWS SLIGHT SIGNS TO IMPROVEMENT STILL ALOT TO FEAR
MSNBC .COM

The Dow Jones has shown slight signs of improvement as the Obama-Frank law goes into law however it is still bleak and we could soon see another major downturn in a the upcoming weeks.

Senate Democrats said that they expect a boost in the economy when the New Deal style bill fully goes into effect in January.

President Elect McCain said despite his problems with the bill that he will “help with it” when it gets into office in that he should put interest in the American people over his needs.

DECEMBER 15th 2008
PRESIDENT ELECT MCCAIN SAYS FARWELL TO THE SENATE
CNN .COM

In his final speech to the United States senate President Elect John McCain bid a sorrow farwell to the place he called home for 20+ in which he served under for 4 presidential administrations.

“It’s been the absolute honor to call this place home for all these years and I always saw this place as my second home. However it must come to the end as I will be taking on the highest job in the land come January and it’s something that majority of you in here have aspirations for one day. It’s been a honor to serve here not myself but rather the people of Arizona and the rest of America all this time in this chamber.”

Congressman Jeff Flake from Arizona’s 1st district is set to take over McCain’s senate seat next week after being chosen by Arizona’s governor Janet Napolitano.

Last edited:
Phoenix Arizona mayor Phill Gordon is set to take over McCain’s senate seat next week after being chosen by Arizona’s governor Janet Napolitano.
I believe at the time Arizona law required the Governor to appoint a Senator of the same party as the departing Senator. Napolitano probably picks someone who won't run for a full six-year term in 2010. I imagine Matt Salmon or David Schweikert run for the seat (they had an agreement that if either ran the other wouldn't.) Trent Franks is a possibility as well.

Last edited:
I believe at the time Arizona law required the Governor to appoint a Senator of the same party as the departing Senator. Napolitano probably picks someone who won't run for a full six-year term in 2010. I imagine Matt Salmon or David Schweikert run for the seat (they had an agreement that if either ran the other wouldn't.)
No worries I will change it up

I believe at the time Arizona law required the Governor to appoint a Senator of the same party as the departing Senator. Napolitano probably picks someone who won't run for a full six-year term in 2010. I imagine Matt Salmon or David Schweikert run for the seat (they had an agreement that if either ran the other wouldn't.) Trent Franks is a possibility as well.
I went with Jeff Flake

I went with Jeff Flake
Flake would probably run for a full six-year term. Napolitano probably wouldn't want to hand the Republicans an incumbency advantage. The Democrats will want to field a strong candidate to win McCain's open Senate seat. Napolitano herself even considered running for the seat in OTL until Obama nominated her to be Secretary of Homeland Security.

Flake would probably run for a full six-year term. Napolitano probably wouldn't want to hand the Republicans an incumbency advantage. The Democrats will want to field a strong candidate to win McCain's open Senate seat. Napolitano herself even considered running for the seat in OTL until Obama nominated her to be Secretary of Homeland Security.
Who’s to say he won’t get any major challengers in the primary?

Helping our troops get out of Iraq safely
Huh? The same John McCain who was a vocal and full-throated defender of the surge from Day One? The same John McCain who in early 2008 said he had no problem having troops in Iraq for a hundred years if that's what it took?

THAT John McCain is all of a sudden calling for a withdrawal? Bad enough you had him flip-flop on Gramm-Leach when there was zero reason OTL or ITTL for that happening. But now you have him calling for a Iraq withdrawal? What justification do you have to do that besides your own cheerleading for the man?

THAT John McCain is all of a sudden calling for a withdrawal? Bad enough you had him flip-flop on Gramm-Leach when there was zero reason OTL or ITTL for that happening. But now you have him calling for a Iraq withdrawal? What justification do you have to do that besides your own cheerleading for the man?
In addition to him opposing withdrawal from Iraq, he most likely supports intervention in the Syrian Civil War come 2011. He probably won't have the Congressional support.

I'm sure he would. McCain never met a foreign adventure he didn't like. He's the same guy who brought us this chart-topper after all.
Come to think of it, I re-read this timeline and noticed Bob Gates was nominated for State, while Lieberman was nominated for Homeland Security. In OTL, McCain considered either Chuck Hagel or Joe Lieberman for Secretary of State. He most likely picks Lieberman and a Democratic Senate confirms him (McCain sells it as bipartisan diplomacy, while Democrats want Lieberman out of the Senate. Hagel and McCain had an icy relationship after 2007.) McCain and Gates didn't like each other either, so I don't see Gates retaining Defense as OTL.

I also think the author meant to write that Tom Udall and Jeanne Shaheen were elected Senators (I read Mo Udall and Maggie Shaheen.)

Last edited:
NEWS IN DECEMBER 2008 PART 3
Come to think of it, I re-read this timeline and noticed Bob Gates was nominated for State, while Lieberman was nominated for Homeland Security. In OTL, McCain considered either Chuck Hagel or Joe Lieberman for Secretary of State. He most likely picks Lieberman and a Democratic Senate confirms him (McCain sells it as bipartisan diplomacy, while Democrats want Lieberman out of the Senate. Hagel and McCain had an icy relationship after 2007.) McCain and Gates didn't like each other either, so I don't see Gates retaining Defense as OTL.

I also think the author meant to write that Tom Udall and Jeanne Shaheen were elected Senators (I read Mo Udall and Maggie Shaheen.)
Lieberman is gonna be Secretary of Homeland Security and Chuck Hagen is gonna be Secretary of Veteran’s Affair.

Authors Note:I understand I have been getting criticism about how I have been handling somethings.

Well I am here telling you right now that will be nothing too unrealistic when McCain becomes President ok?

Plus I don’t want them timeline to be a predictable McCain victory in 2008 TL that I have seen several times before I wanted to spice things up if you get my drift.

If you wanna help me then just message me and we can talk about details ok?

Last edited:
Authors Note:I understand I have been getting criticism about how I have been handling somethings.

Well I am here telling you right now that will be nothing too unrealistic when McCain becomes President ok?

Plus I don’t want them timeline to be a predictable McCain victory in 2008 TL that I have seen several times before I wanted to spice things up.

I promise ok?
I was thinking...

Elizabeth Dole might carry baggage from her husband's surname, might not be palatable to most conservatives, and McCain would be advised against 'countering' Hillary. I've seen others suggest Matt Blunt, Mike Huckabee, Mark Sanford, and John Thune as palatable to conservatives.

And Rahm Emmanuel might share some of the Obama campaign's vitriol toward Clinton. Wesley Clark, Chet Edwards, or Tim Kaine (once regarded by Clinton herself as 'terrible') would all keep progressives at home.

Just a thought.

I was thinking...

Elizabeth Dole might carry baggage from her husband's surname, might not be palatable to most conservatives, and McCain would be advised against 'countering' Hillary. I've seen others suggest Matt Blunt, Mike Huckabee, Mark Sanford, and John Thune as palatable to conservatives.

And Rahm Emmanuel might share some of the Obama campaign's vitriol toward Clinton. Wesley Clark, Chet Edwards, or Tim Kaine (once regarded by Clinton herself as 'terrible') would all keep progressives at home.

Just a thought.
For the 2012 election?

Sorry, I was referring to the VP picks of the 2008 election. I know I'm expressing my concerns late.
It’s fine well I promise when the TL reaches 2009 it won’t be too unrealistic anymore at least when it comes to the McCain Presidency.

But as they say “Getting there is half the fun!”

It’s fine well I promise when the TL reaches 2009 it won’t be too unrealistic anymore at least when it comes to the McCain Presidency.

But as they say “Getting there is half the fun!”
Another thing I missed was Mitt Romney.

I could see McCain offering him a Cabinet position, but him turning it down because it would be a huge risk to his political career. With the presidency not within reach in 2012, he either runs for Ted Kennedy's Senate seat in 2010, or if Democrats win more Senate seats in 2010, Orrin Hatch retires and he runs in Utah.

Another thing I missed was Mitt Romney.

I could see McCain offering him a Cabinet position, but him turning it down because it would be a huge risk to his political career. With the presidency not within reach in 2012, he either runs for Ted Kennedy's Senate seat in 2010, or if Democrats win more Senate seats in 2010, Orrin Hatch retires and he runs in Utah.
I put Romney as Secretary of Treasury