What if both children of Maximilian I and Mary of Burgundy (Philip the Handsome and Margaret of Austria) were born as girl and Mary still die as OTL? What Maximilian will or can do for keeping most of Burgundy safely away from the French King?

trees
Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (b.1459) married a) Mary, Duchess of Burgundy (1457-1482) in 1477 b) Elizabeth of York (1466-1492) in 1482 c) Bianca Maria Sforza (b.1472) in 1494
  1. a) Isabella, Duchess of Burgundy (b.1478) married Edward V, King of England (b.1470) in 1493
    1. see under Edward for issues​
  2. a) Margaret of Burgundy (b.1480) married a) Charles VIII, King of France (1470-1500) in 1492 b) Philibert II, Duke of Savoy (b. 1480)
    1. a) miscarriage (1496)
    2. a) miscarriage (1497)
    3. a) stillborn son (1499)
    4. b) Charles III, Duke of Savoy (b. 1501)
    5. b) other issues
  3. a) Francis (1481)
  4. b) Ernest, Holy Roman Emperor (b.1484) married Maria of Aragon (b.1482) in 1498 with issue
  5. b) Eleanor (b.1486) married Vladislaus Jagiellon, King of Bohemia and Hungary (b.1456) with issue
  6. b) stillborn son (1489)
  7. b) Rudolf (1490-1496)
  8. b) Elizabeth (b.1492) married Sigismund Jagiellon, King of Poland (b.1467) with issue
  9. c) Frederick (1495-1496)
  10. c) Beatrice (b.1497) married Christian II, King of Denmark, Sweden and Norway (b.1481) with issue
  11. c) Bianca Maria (b.1499) married Richard III, King of England (b.1496) with issue
  12. c) miscarriage (1500)
  13. c) stillborn son (1502)
  14. c) Maximilian (b.1505) married Beatrice Sforza, Duchess of Milan and Bari (b.1414)** with issue
Edward IV, King of England (1444-1492) married Elizabeth Woodville (1440-1494) in 1464
  1. Elizabeth of York (b.1466) married Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (b.1459) in 1483
    1. see under Maximilian for issue
  2. Mary of York (1467-1482)
  3. Cecily (b.1469) married James IV, King of Scotland (b.1473) in 1484 with issue
  4. Edward V, King of England (b.1470) married Isabella, Duchess of Burgundy (b.1478) in 1493
    1. Edward, Prince of Wales (1494-1498)
    2. Richard III, King of England (b. 1496) married Bianca Maria of Austria (b. 1499)
    3. John, King of Lorraine (b. 1497) married Isabelle II, Duchess of Lorraine (b. 1494)*** with issue
    4. other issues
  5. Margaret (1472-1472)
  6. Richard, Duke of York and Norfolk (b.1473) married a) Anne de Mowbray, Countess of Norfolk (1472-1489) in 1478 b) Anne, Duchess of Brittany (b.1478) in 1490
    1. a) Edward, Duke of York and Norfolk (b.1489) had legitimate issue
    2. b) Francis III, Duke of Brittany (b. 1495) married Catherine of Navarre (b. 1495) with issue
    3. b) other issues
  7. Anne (b.1475) married John, Prince of Asturias and Girona (1478-1502) in 1493 with issue
  8. George, Duke of Bedford (1477-1479)
  9. Catherine (b.1479) married Louis XII, King of France (b. 1462) in 1498
  10. Bridget (b.1480) nun

Ferdinand II, King of Aragon (1452-1518) married Isabella I, Queen of Castile (1451-1508) in 1469
  1. Isabella (b.1470) married Alfonso, Prince of Portugal (1475-1491) in 1490 without issue
  2. miscarried son (1475)
  3. John, Prince of Asturias and Girona (1478-1502) married Anne of York (b.1475) in 1493 with issue
  4. Joanna (b.1479) married Manuel I, King of Portugal (b.1469) in 1497 with issue
  5. Maria (b.1482) married Ernest I, Holy Roman Emperor (b.1484) in 1498 with issue
  6. Beatrice (1482) twin of Maria
  7. Ferdinand III, King of Naples and Sicily (b.1485) married Joanna of Aragon, Queen of Naples (b.1478) in 1497 with issue
Marie of Cleves (1426-1487) married Charles, Duke d’Orleans (1394-1465) in 1440
  1. Marie (1457-1493) married John of Foix (1450-1500)
    1. Germaine (b.1488) married Charles III, Duke of Bourbon (b.1476)****
    2. Gaston, Duke of Nemours (b.1490) married Marguerite of Angoulême (b.1492)*****
  2. Louis XII, King of France (b.1462) married a) Jeanne of France (1464-1497) in 1476 b) Catherine of York (b.1479) in 1498
    1. b) issue​
  3. Anne (b.1464-1491), nun

NOTES
**Beatrice is the daughter and only child of Maximilian Sforza and his cousin and wife Bona Sforza. Her father died only few months after her birth, while her uncle Francis was killed in battle two years after that so she is the last Sforza heiress of Milan and the half-Sforza Archduke Maximilian is the best husband for her
***ATL René II of Lorraine died in 1494 and his son Antoine died young like his three brothers and eldest daughter so Isabelle was his last and only surviving children and inherited Lorraine.
****The relationship between Anne de Beaujeu and Louis XII of France was always antagonistic since he was still Duke d’Orléans and the strange and sudden death of Jeanne, who freed the Duke from an unwanted wedding, consenting him to marry the English princess, was seen by many as suspicious (the Duke was suspected by many of having poisoned his wife, but nobody had ever proof of it) so when Anne’s son was widowed (with only a daughter) by his first wife Charlotte of Naples the King offered his niece Germaine with a rich dowry as replacement and arranged a wedding between Anne’s daughter Suzanne (b.1491) to his rich protege Charles IV, Duke d’Alençon (b.1489) as mean for repairing their relationship.
*****When his cousin Charles d’Orléans died in 1496 Louis, at the time only Duke d’Orleans and Brittany had taken under his protection the young widow and the daughters of his cousin. Marguerite was the only one to reach adulthood (her sisters Louise and Anne died young) and was a rich heiress, so the King married her to his own nephew

Last edited:
Some notes on the scenario
The only way in which Maximilian can keep control of Burgundy if he has only daughters by Mary is finding soon a good ally against France. With Margaret of York’s influence (but also without it, as Maximilian has no true alternative) that ally can be only her brother Edward. Without Philip, Max will also need an heir and marrying Elizabeth of York and offering his eldest daughter, the new Duchess of Burgundy, for the Prince of Wales is the only way for getting Edward’s full commitment. A belligerent and interested in the continent England is not good news for France as demonstrated by Richard of York’s second wedding to Anne of Brittany and by Catherine of York’s wedding to the widowed Duke d’Orleans (Edward V gambled on Charles not having heirs by his sister-in-law and on Orléans eventual succession and he won the bet). The separation between England and Burgundy, inherited by different sons of Edward and Isabella was consequence of an agreement with France and Austria, in which John of Bedford, King Edward’s third son (as the eldest was already dead and the second had replaced him as Prince of Wales) got engaged to an heiress and obtained a crown of his own in the Holy Roman Empire in exchange for the separation between England and continental lands.
Margaret of Burgundy (who is has the same life and personality of her OTL counterpart being grown-up in France) was already half-in-love with Philibert and once they were both widowed and free they eloped (taking care to give back to Edward the lands of her dowry in exchange of one in money).

I know who Margaret for the eldest daughter of Mary of Burgundy and Isabella for the younger would made more sense and I used them originally but as I want the younger being practically be the OTL Margaret I can not call her with an other name so I switched them.

Last edited:
Notes - Consequences of the wedding of Maximilian I and Elizabeth of York
Maximilian here is forced to remarry to Elizabeth of York, and that is an obligated choice as Maximilian with only daughters need English support for keeping control of Burgundy and the only way for getting Edward’s full commitment is offering himself as groom for Edward’s eldest daughter (either still fiancée of the Dauphin or just rejected by him and already of the age for marrying) and his eldest daughter for the Prince of Wales (as York is already married) as becoming the most likely future Holy Roman Empress is more prestigious than being Queen of France and the revenues of Burgundy are much better than the pension who the King of France is paying to Edward and the lands more strategically important than the Brittany who the actual fiancée of the Prince of Wales is likely (but NOT guaranteed) to inherit. Without a son (who would be Duke of Burgundy, limiting the lands who France can take) or England support (for win the war against France) is unlikely who Maximilian will be able to block the King of France from taking his eldest daughter, the new Duchess of Burgundy, as bride for the Dauphin and uniting the whole Burgundian inheritance to France. An union between France and Burgundy not be good for England but is unlikely who Edward IV will make the first move unless the Burgundian offer is too good for being refuted and both Margaret of York and Maximilian already know that, so is unlikely who they will lose time in useless negotiations whose most likely effect would be depriving them of the control of the situation.
Maximilian being married to Elizabeth will most likely give him many other children and is likely who among them will be daughters of a good age for marrying Vladislaus of Bohemia and Hungary as third wife and Sigismund of Poland.

Last edited:
Great scenario! Sorry if I missed it, but what happens to Henry Tudor in this scenario? Is he killed or does he give up his claim to become Earl of Richmond and he with his Mother? Also like how Burgundy and England split rather than become an awkward Union.

Great scenario! Sorry if I missed it, but what happens to Henry Tudor in this scenario? Is he killed or does he give up his claim to become Earl of Richmond and he with his Mother? Also like how Burgundy and England split rather than become an awkward Union.
Tudor? With Edward living until 1492 and Elizabeth married to Maximilian at the end of 1482, he has no claim.I have not yet clear ideas on his fate, here, but he will surely return in England in 1483 and will be an Earl and most likely married to a Herbert girl or one of Dorset's daughters (but I do not exclude a wedding to one of Buckingham's daughters or to Eleanor Spencer if he do not get back Richmond)

Tudor? With Edward living until 1492 and Elizabeth married to Maximilian at the end of 1482, he has no claim.I have not yet clear ideas on his fate, here, but he will surely return in England in 1483 and will be an Earl and most likely married to a Herbert girl or one of Dorset's daughters (but I do not exclude a wedding to one of Buckingham's daughters or to Eleanor Spencer if he do not get back Richmond)
Do you think he'll get his maternal inheritance? I think a Herbert is most likely, and speaking of Herberts do they get Pembroke back?

And who's Eleanor Spencer?

Do you think he'll get his maternal inheritance? I think a Herbert is most likely, and speaking of Herberts do they get Pembroke back?

And who's Eleanor Spencer?
Eleanor (more often called Margaret) Spencer Carey would be Mary Boleyn's OTL mother-in-law. She was the eldest daughter of Eleanor Beaufort (Somerset's eldest daughter) by her second husband (and her younger sister Catherine Spencer Percy was the mother of the Henry Percy in love with Anne Boleyn).
Henry Tudor would surely receive his mother's inheritance, and the Herberts will get back Pembroke. If Henry do not get back Richmond, his Earldom will be Somerset so marrying one of his second cousins make sense (and at that point the only who works are the girl with the most direct bloodline or the one with the higher rank aka the Stafford cousin of the Prince of Wales)

Last edited:
Margaret of Austria and the household of Anne de Beaujeu
Margaret of Austria was the second daughter and younger surviving child of Maximilian I by his first wife Mary, Duchess of Burgundy and was likely the one who had her life more upset by her mother’s death as, while both she and her elder sister, five years old Isabelle, new Duchess of Burgundy, were married off very young, Isabelle at least remained in Burgundy under the wardship of her step-grandmother, father, and new stepmother, the unlucky three years old Margaret, destined to marry the French Dauphin, was consigned to her future in-laws, the French King Louis XI and his eldest daughter Anne de Beaujeu, in whose custody Margaret would be raised.
Margaret’s life at the French court in any case was far from being unhappy, as she was beautiful, smart and cultured, and much loved by everyone, including Anne de Beaujeu, now Regent of France, and her husband-to-be, King Charles VIII… Still, as Charles was much older than her, she was used to play with the other children in Anne’s household: Anne’s son Charles, four years older than her, Philibert of Savoy (a junior member of the house, whose parents were a brother of Anne’s mother and the sister of her husband) and Charlotte of Naples (daughter of a younger son of the King of Naples and of the late Anne of Savoy, double cousin of Anne de Beaujeu) who had both the same age of Margaret and would be always close to her. In 1488, at the death of his elder brother, Anne’s husband Pierre would become Duke of Bourbon, inheriting one of the last great semi-independents Duchies of France, meaning who Anne was now Duchess of Bourbon and their son Charles acquired the style of Count of Clermont.
Margaret would marry Charles VIII with a sumptuous ceremony in 1494, as the King wanted secure his bride’s dowry before starting his Italian adventure, who he hoped would be more successful than his wars in Burgundy and Brittany against their new Dukes, respectively Edward V of England and his brother Richard of York, their late father Edward IV and Emperor Maximilian I (who was Margaret‘s own father). We do not know if the 14 years old Margaret still believed to be in love with Charles, or had maybe her affections had already start the switch who would be already completed at Charles’ death, five years later.