The Iron Eagle: An Adolf Hitler Presidency

Is this TL Good so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Petru & Politics will be one of the sections for "Of Senate & Farewell".

Thoughts on this section? We like the Romania sections so far?

P.S. It's probably obvious but the reason I didn't thread mark it was that it's technically not an official update but just one of the (five most likely) sections that will be on the next official update. This is not unofficial, but it's an official sneak peak and thus will not be thread marked. Verbatim will be on the next update (I think I've flogged a dead horse at this point but clarity over confusion amirite? ;))

Champion & Senator
Adolph "white man's champ" Hitler":

"Throughout Harding's presidency, Hitler fervently and passionately expatiated on a broad range of issues, from railroad worker's rights to federal corruption. However, it would be unwise to study his political rise in the Harding era without mentioning his ravings regarding race." - Eric Foner

"President Hitler first proved himself as the Negro's greatest enemy with his abominable filibuster of the Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill" - Walter Francis White at an NAACP meeting, 1951.

"Congressman Hitler earned his reputation as the "white man's champ" the same way he earned the title common man's champ"; his passionate congressional speeches. For instance, in 1922, when Missouri Republican Representative Leonidas C. Dyer introduced a bill for the purposes of punishing lynching and mob violence, he faced not only the general filibuster from Southern Democrats, but also the famed "Adolphian Answer". The exact Congressional recording here as it follows:

"How dare you! I bellow again, how dare you! How dare you afflict the Southern people with this travesty! Why are you giving savages the key to our homes! Do not ever trample on the natural order! Understand one thing, hon'rable representative; white men and negroes can never mingle. Never! It is unnatural! It is in direct opposition to the will of God! God made the races separate and different. I know I will hear groans when I say this, but just as the supporters of the bill hopeful condemn sodomy as a mortal sin in regards to sexual conduct, they should also know that the Lord also denounced bestiality!

(Representative Adolph took a twenty-second pause due to the mass applause and shouts of affirmation coming primarily from the Southern Democratic representatives, alongside jeers from primarily Northern Republican representatives.)

Are those in support of this atrocious bill truly ignorant of reality! Do they not know that the Negro, if allowed to roam free, will rape and rob all in his path! The legal indifference to lynching is to maintain the order in the South, and mind you this is only due to one fact; the Negro until very recently has not lived in the North in large numbers. Southern society cannot be trampled over, not only for the good of Dixie but also all of the United States of America! I ask the northern representatives who support this bill; how would you feel if your neighborhood was filled with men of Congo! Would you feel comfortable with them in your schools, in your churches, near your spouse! Unless one is consumed by insanity or masochistic tendencies, the answer would be dread and anger. So good men from the North; join your respectable associates of your own race in solidarity and do not for this bill."

The bill did not pass, and Hitler gained the attention of not only the whole house but even some Senators, especially Senators Ellison D Smith and Byron Patton "Pat" Harrison.

27-1377583732-adolf-hitler13-600.jpg

(Representative Adolph Hitler given his famous "Adolphian Answer" in response to the Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill, January 1922.)

Of Petru & Politics:

With the achievement of Greater Romania and rapid economic growth (especially in the oil sector), Romania was filled with ambitions. And with ambition comes progress combined with frustration with lack of progress.

For most of Romania's history, the masses were impoverished farmers and shepherds, trying to scrape though life mouth to mouth. Unlike Western Europe with its centuries of vast colonial networks and bustling factories, Romania only began its modernization process rather recently. Now, with Romania ascendant, its people demanded to rise with the nation.

Born to a wealthy family in Bacia, then Austro-Hungarian Transylvania, Petru Groza was born well connected. Studying law in Budapest, the aspirant Romanian desired to make a name for himself, and not just confine himself to the legal profession. It was thus when the war ended that Groza joined politics.

Originally a member of the nationalist Romanian National Party, Groza realized that while the party cadre, mostly from the new territories of Romania, were enthused as can be, the lack of patronage and promotion was apparent. The PSA was highly commended for it's presiding over Romania's victory, and was rewarded with massive electoral margins throughout the 20's. Sensing the political climate, Groza joined the PSA, a party that his family and he once scoffed at as "rebellious and peasant-like".

Groza made a name for himself in Bucharest politics, not just a nationalist populist but also a voice for conservative elements of the Orthodox Christian community in Romania, already disturbed with the rapid social and cultural changes rippling across the Western world. A famous example of his populist frenzy was his tirades against "capitalist exploitation" along with his anti semitic rantings, shocking Romania's intelligentsia with his filibuster of the eventually successful 1923 Jewish emancipation bill. When the bill finally passed, Groza commented that "as long as the Jew shows his loyalty to the Romanian nation, then I will not regret the bill's passing".

Many political leaders kept a close eye on Groza, including former party Colleague Iuliu Maniu, commenting with associates that "beware of Groza".

7ZHBJAGA428LZHT2EXUP2995H.jpg

(Petru Groza, pictured in his later years. He was one of the six men who shaped modern Romania to this day.)

Ascendance to the Senate:

From the minorly famed newcomer to a prominent representative, Hitler achieved much recognition in a quick time. From "Villa's slayer" to the "Common man's champ", the mustached man from Comal County was already willing to throw his hat into the ring for Senator of Texas. Retiring from the Senate was veteran politician and one of Hitler's political mentors was Senator Charles Culberson, who in private encouraged Hitler to replace him.

Senate Chambers, 1922:

Culberson: Representative Hitler, you have gained my absolute endorsement for my Senate position when I retire this year.

Hitler: Why thank you, Senator Culberson.

Culberson: I want to retire for the sake of my health, and am so pleased to find such a worthy successor.

Hitler: Your words touch me deeply, Senator.

Culberson: However, there is one issue.

Hitler: And that would be?

Culberson: Actually, two. Mayfield & Ferguson. Mayfield is backed by the Klan, and thus the dries, and Ferguson, oddly a teetotaler, is supported by the wet faction due to his anti-prohibition stance. Mayfield has the good graces of my colleague Senator Morris Sheppard.

Hitler: Senator Sheppard; the father of national prohibition.

Culberson: Indeed. And furthermore, your Catholic creed prohibits you further from the Klan's backing. However, your refusal to address the issue has alienated the wet faction from you, meaning that the only on the ground factions backing you are the German community, not dominant in Democratic circles, and various non-Klan oriented white nationalistic circles. They will help, for they see you as "the white man's champ", a title I believe you very much deserve.

Hitler: Thank you very much, Senator.

Culberson: Oh, not just me, but also my other colleagues. Senators Smith and Harrison have frequently praised your name, and madly desire your company in the Senate.

Hitler: I am honored by their praise.

Culberson: Furthermore, I was able to arrange a meeting between Shephard and honorable President Wilson.

Adolph tried his best to maintain his serious posture when addressing his mentor, but the sound of the word Wilson made the corners of lips turn, forcing a smile no formality could budge.

Culberson: I informed Wilson of the situation, and he has agreed to convince my colleague to endorse you, -

Hitler: Oh that is so kind of him! I visited him four days prior. He was not in the best of health, but his mind is as sharp as ever. I am so honored that even in his current physical state he decides to do this. And also, thank you so much for discussing with him this.

Culberson: My pleasure, and yes, Wilson adores you. He speaks so fondly of you.

Adolph this time could not resist a smile

Culberson: I had a feeling that you would be pleased.

Hitler: A correct assumption, Senator.

Culberson: I hope you also find this helpful, for I also have discussed this with Senator Sheppard.

Hitler: Thank you so very much, Senator. Your mentorship has done so good for me. I truly appreciate our dinner discussion and the advice you impart there for me. I could not be the Congressman I am today without your help.

Culberson: The pleasure is indeed mine. I hope you will visit me for dinner from time to time once I have retired?

Hitler: Of course. It is the least I could do.

In a few days, Hitler received the news that Senator Shepard would endorse him for the Senate. Already coalescing behind the Catholic and protege of anti-Klan and wet Senator Charles Culberson were various dry organizations, due to the Shepard network. When asked by skeptical voters why Hitler was their man, the churches responded that "he will surely defeat Furgeson, our great enemy, and he has served the white man's cause well". From factionless to the proper and establishment-backed compromise candidate, Hitler was elected Senator of Texas, beginning his term in 1923. And once again, the hand of Wilson pushed Hitler to higher rises again.

1200px-Seal_of_the_United_States_Senate.svg.png

(Seal of the United State Senate. Historians document Hitler's Senatorial career as a watershed moment in his political rise.)

Last edited:
Oh god. And here I was hoping Adolf wouldn't be too racist compared to OTL. Seems like old habits die hard.

Not the level of the genocidal maniac that defiled OTL and scarred it forever, however there's a reason why he caught the attention and admiration of Senators Bilbo and D. Smith. When the section Ascendance to the Senate is finished than that connection may have some sparks …

One last hint for the rest of the update (going to finish it today! :));

the "Adolphian answer" will be important. So will other things. There's multiple reasons that combined clinch him the Senate position.

It is unnatural! It is in direct opposition to the will of God! God made the races separate and different. I know I will hear groans when I say this, but just as the supporters of the bill hopeful condemn sodomy as a mortal sin in regards to sexual conduct, they should also know that the Lord also denounced bestiality
Did the church have to condemn this language or at least distance itself from it.

I finished the Update and changed the Title of the update. We are starting to get closer to some really big events in other nations.

Thoughts on this update overall? What do we think of Hitler now being a Senator?

Also, @Redcoat, can you make another wikibox for Hitler? He's representative for Texas 14th district from 1921-1923 and is a Senator from 1923-?19xx. Thanks.

Bilbo wasn't elected to the Senate until 1934. Interestingly, he was also a Senator at the time that the Hobbit came out.

Wow. I am a fool. I meant Senator Harrison:

upload_2018-6-9_9-53-4.jpeg

This is what happens to fantasy world fans ...

Thank you so much @King_Arthur Arthur. I would have left this mistake on lot longer without this.

In general I really appreciate the helpful community noticing when I make these silly mistakes or sometimes historically innacurate ideas (if something gets ASB let me know, I try my best but maybe something will happen, do let me know. It’s a sign that you guys care.

Once again, I really appreciate you catching this blip of mine. I’m sure Senator Harrison would hate me at this point :coldsweat:. But I’m not surprised @King_Arthur at your help. It was indeed you who saved Camelot and your realm from the Saxon invasion ;).

Last edited:
@King_Arthur, I corrected my mistake. Thank you for pointing this out, otherwise people would be like "you were talking about Bilbo earlier and now Harrison?"

So thank you. Really. I appreciate your help so much (may seem small but it really isn't. Its the thought and initiative that counts :).)

Awesome! Just two critiques:

1) Hitler is Senator from 1923 to 19?? (you have 1921 for both representative and Senator)

2) Wurzbach was his opponent but was never Representative before Hitler. It was Carlos Bee, a Democrat who lost the primary in OTL & ITTL.

Also, not a critique but if you want you can add in Allen as Allen was Charles Culberson's middle name. Only reason I say this is if that makes is even more wikibox like. But that I actually don't know.

But once again, this is awesome!!!! :)

Thanks @Redcoat! :)

Edit: One more thing, I think his party should be Democratic and Republican should be the other party affiliations part. He will be seen ITTL as a Democrat through and through due to how much he impacted the party, and his Republican origins are more of a "did you know", something you learn in high school kind of thing.

Lot of scholarship ITTL on Hitler's Republican roots was on the NY Times best seller Hitler: The Republican by Stephen E Ambrose in 1978. Not the majority mind you, and scholars understood it well before, but the perception of Hitler is Democratic and Democratic is Hitler was very strong even in the 1970's. This and much more will come later in the TL! :)

I got a lot planned. It will take a lot of time to write out guys, but don't worry, I have plans. And not just for America ;).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.