The Great Turk returns - Alternate resurging Ottomans (1747-1947)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some many updates i can indulge in. Also was it good news for you in the election? So prussia also has polish east Prussia. So the ottomans are marrying into other muslim families to form alliances. So what moniker or Nickname will mustafa get or suit him the best after he dies.

I was toying with an idea of a royal marriage... Selim III was sterile so he couldn't have kids. Makes a safe bet to have him as the lucky guy. But with whom and if... I don't know yet.

Prussia has the connection with East Prussia. Thats about it for now.

The nickname for Mustafa? I don't know yet...

The OE, on mid-term, is on collision course with entire Europe.

Russia and Austria both want their lands. Britain and OE will compete in India. The Ottomans need an independent Poland to check Austria and Russia, which will displease Prussia too. Spain will want to expand in North Africa. Netherlands won't be happy with Ottoman help to Aceh. Naples is seething about the taking of Malta.

That leaves France (and even then France has this savior complex about Holy Lands and Eastern Christians because of Catholic identity + doesn't like the fall of Malta + will always need alliances with Russia / Austria / Spain / some enemy), Denmark (anti-Russian now) and Sweden.

Maybe the OE should try for a coalition with France, Prussia, Poland, Sweden and Denmark against their joint enemies ?

The OE, on mid-term, is on collision course with entire Europe.

Russia and Austria both want their lands. Britain and OE will compete in India. The Ottomans need an independent Poland to check Austria and Russia, which will displease Prussia too. Spain will want to expand in North Africa. Netherlands won't be happy with Ottoman help to Aceh. Naples is seething about the taking of Malta.

That leaves France (and even then France has this savior complex about Holy Lands and Eastern Christians because of Catholic identity + doesn't like the fall of Malta + will always need alliances with Russia / Austria / Spain / some enemy), Denmark (anti-Russian now) and Sweden.

Maybe the OE should try for a coalition with France, Prussia, Poland, Sweden and Denmark against their joint enemies ?

Expect an isolitionist era between the 1770s up to the 1790s. No large scale alliances for the Ottomans for the time being.

The demise of the Dutch trade companies, 1773

When Willem IV took control of the United Provinces he had ambitious ideas to support the the VOC and the WIC. Some of it included Slave trade agreements with various other nations than Spanish America. This included buying East African Slaves from the Zanzibar Market and selling them to various states like Ottoman Egypt, Persia, and Arabia as well as various East African States. The Governor of Egypt and local Persian Emirs in Southern Persia bought many African male slaves as soldiers in their armies. The recruitment of African men already happened with the Armies of Oman and Yemen. As soon as the VOC got the smell of the slave soldier trade they immediately intervened and participated in the trade, becoming the biggest slave exporter in the Indian Ocean between 1750-1790. Although starting a resurgence in the 1750s and 1760s, the VOC experienced a large decline in the 1770s. The wars and chaos in the Middle East and East Africa was ending the demand for slaves was low. The Spice trade had already been on a decline as other European Companies formed concurrence and the Dutch had only but the Baltics and Italy that it could trade with with East-Indian goods. Something they were likely to lose for the Danish in the Baltics and the French in Italy.

The WIC was in a worse shape. Like the EIC the WIC was a experiencing a large resurgence in the 1750s until the 1790s. The WIC regained the asiento for Spanish America. It gave relief to the Dutch. Later treaties in the 1750s gave merchants hope that the WIC could grow as a world company. The treaties with North European Countries and the inlands of the Holy Roman Empire in Sugar and Coffee important strengthened it. The British and French concurrence in the 1770s however brought the Dutch Company in problems. When the Habsburgs in the Southern Netherlands gave the French more rights for American Products it went from bad to worse. The unfortunate death of William IV was a reason.

The Sultan of the Tulip Gardens, May 1774

Sultan Mustafa regained some strength after being ill for a very long time. He walked in the garden of the palace. At some point he was accompanied by his brother Abdulhamid. Having talked about how he was and how the Sultan felt. Abdulhamid was for some months the governor of Athens, a province with a decent share of Greeks and Christians. Abdulhamid had learned quite some things even at the age of 49.

Mustafa III: “Abdulhamid. My brother. It is good to see you again”.

Sehzade Abdulhamid: “My Sultan, I am happy to see you again as well. I’ve heard about you being ill. I pray to God everyday for your health”.

Mustafa III: “I would not expect any different from you Abdulhamid. You were always a good person even as a kid. Not even once being like me.”

Sehzade Abdulhamid: “Lovely garden. I knew from our childhood you had a thing for Tulips but an entire garden with Tulips of all possible colors. I could never have thought about you liking simple flowers like Tulips this much”.

Mustafa III: “I’ve always found it the most beautiful of all flowers I’ve seen. Maybe it reminds me of our father Ahmed Han. I can’t describe how much I miss him even as an old man. When I became ill I felt like I was close joining Father, Mother, my brothers, my sisters and my friends. It somewhat made me happy, that I could see them again.”

Sehzade Abdulhamid: “I miss them too my Sultan. I can only think about the day father was deposed by the Godless rebels. All his efforts for nothing. Sultan Mahmud Han never made my life more difficult than it could have been....

You know… you remind me of father. Like him you also put a lot of effort for your people. And the people are not always grateful. I’ve heard them calling you, forgive me, the Sultan of the Tulips. I don’t think the people realise you would not consider it as an insult. You love these flowers."

Mustafa III: “I did not expect the people to be happy Abdulhamid. They weren’t with father, father told us that they weren’t with our uncle Mustafa Han as well. I never knew him but having the same name, having both go to the battlefield makes me like him... We need to do this Abdulhamid.”

Sehzade Abdulhamid: “I understand you my Sultan. I really do. May God guide us in these harsh times”.

Mustafa III: “Ameen… In the last 17 years I’ve have done a lot what our brother Sultan Mehmed Han wanted. Unfortunately he died and his murderers set us at least 10 years back. If I die, do not let all the efforts go away Abdulhamid. Not without giving your life for it if it is necessary. Otherwise I will never forgive you as your brother.

Mohammed II of Persia, the Safavids restored, 1774

After Ismails victory over the Zand forces he had only a little trouble to reconquer whatever remained in the South. By 1770 he had the control from Ganja to Kerman, from Mashad to Abadan. Unfortunately for Ismail, he did not live long enough to build his Persia. He left it to his son Mohammed III Safavi on the 16th day of June 1773. Mohammed III was 21 when he ascended the throne. As soon as he gained it he began what his father wanted. Inviting European advisors to modernise his state. His first project was to form Tabriz in to a modern city with a university for the upcoming generations, with Military schools to recruit the native population in the Army, a chance for the people to reach high in the Government.

Shah Mohammed made no secret about the plans to weaken if not completely destroy the tribal and nomad life in his realm. In a state where everyone lives in one place. The population of his Persia were up to 11 million people. Shah Mohammed wanted the population to grow. To grow in his large realm where there were too many low populated regions. For this, he allowed Turkmens to settle in Khorasan. Mohammed II, although still friendly to the Ottomans, wanted a state that could defend against the Ottomans rather than abandoning Azerbaijan. The same applied with Russia. A part of his modernisation plan was to fortify the Caucasus, the Persian Gulf and Caspian Coast and build a fleet that can fend off an East India Company attack on the Persian Gulf. Mohammed wanted a lasting peace for at least the upcoming 30 years. Enough time to build up his Realm and have a generation with a completely different attitude than the existing. The recruitment of Shia clerics was one of the first attempt to counter illiterate population in the towns. If successful, it can be expanded to the rural lands. Shah Mohammed has not have enough revenue to do it all. It is about 14 million per year. It will be a large task. But it will be successful. This is Shah Mohammed II ambition. This is the Safavid Peace.

lvl_Vlu00MuzKB7gVinwMgHsT9PqTqE9UMfsEY6BgYxVU2I2rzzIPp_7SujzijYwSG-9nkkzKlC8fmK3eY3BETtGCSywnbs-ifyCn-A2jdl042JemGuU34t6o9wBppJgh1hje3mK
Mohammed II Safavid, 1782

Last edited:
What is the ottoman view of the persian reforms and foreign policy as it not what the ottomans want and now they are trying to spread shia islam.

Abdulhamid I
The last leaf of the Tulip has fallen, Istanbul, January 1775

It has been the coldest winter in Constantinople for years. The People don’t go often in the streets due to the weather. However, enduring the cold weather went worse when the people heard about the recent illness of Sultan Mustafa III. On the 6th day of January, the tired Sultan Mustafa III finally closed his eyes never to be reopened again until the Apocalypse. Abdulhamid was called back to Constantinople after only staying a month or 5 in Athens. He remained at the side of his brother for nearly a week after Sultan Mustafa III khan (1757-1775) died. The Sultan of the Tulips is dead. The Janissaries have made their way to the palace to greet the new Sultan and say farewell to the deceased Sultan. Abdulhamid remained strong, he kept his feelings for himself and became Sultan in front of all the government officials and military commanders. The rule of Abdulhamid I Khan (1775-...) has started.

The first thing Abdulhamid I did was letting all of the government officials stay on their posts. Abdulhamid kept his brothers government active and sent Sehzade Murad to Bursa to become the governor there. Abdulhamid informed all ambassadors to that he continues the treaties his brother made and wished to continue the good relationship between Constantinople and all other European states. Mustafa’s war with Russia and his sudden displease with Louis XV peace proposal in which Mustafa believed he could have won. Abdulhamid was not sure about it but never told his brother. Abdulhamid sent several envoys to continue the treaty Mustafa and Ismail made. At last he considered the Crimean Khans offer for marriage between both Mustafa’s daughter and the Khans heir, the Khans daughter and Sehzade Murad. Murad was son of Mehmed and a twin. His twin brother Ibrahim which would actually be heir died in a hunting accident a few months before Mustafa died. The most popular Ibrahim died and was replaced by the rather unknown Murad. Abdulhamids sorrow for Ibrahims death prevented a worse reaction on his brothers death. Seeing both the orphans Ibrahim and Murad almost as his own children.

Abdulhamid on the second day went out to the Sultan Ahmed Mosque and was greeted by thousands of people. The people were positive about the Sultan. It seems that Abdulhamid won’t experience too much friction from the populace.

The Janissary problem, Vidin, 1775

As soon as Abdulhamid became sultan he abolished the law on giving the soldiers a sum of money. Abdulhamid saw it as a waste of money on those who were not interested in serving the Sultan. The Janissaries were unhappy. They considered it their right to get the money in which a conflict broke out between Government officials and Janissary Aga’s. As a punishment the Aga’s were sent to Vidin to perform Guard duty. The Janissaries here showed the first signs of what would be troublesome for the government. The exiled Janissaries in Vidin act like bandits. Taxing more from the locals while preventing the local Suleiman Pasha to tax for the Government. It went as bad as the Janissaries taking the control over Vidin. The Bandits of Vidin, although small in numbers, encouraged other Janissaries in the Area to behave as they wished. It went as far as illegally taxing to a murdering spree.

Abdulhamid was at first uneasy about what to think. He never had to deal with these problems even when he was on the front. In his presence there was Sehzade Selim. Selim did something what Princes would not actually dare. Selim advised the Sultan to put down the rebellion. The Pashas were horrified that a fourteen year old tells the Sultan what to do. However, Abdulhamid listened and sent his Gurcu (Georgian) Yunus Pasha to put down the rebellion with all that is necessary. Abdulhamid, not angry at all with Selim saw it as a net positive. If Selim ever would become a Sultan he would act immediately. Not be unsure what to happen. Yunus Pasha had an Army of 900 Regular Infantry and 300 Cavalry. With 1,200 men he went to put down the Janissary rebellion in Vidin. As soon as Yunus Pasha arrived he ordered a surrender in which the Janissaries refused. Yunus Pasha did not ask a second time and attacked immediately. The Janissaries were up to 900 men with around 1,300 irregulars who had supported them from the vicinity. Without any loss, Yunus Pasha regained Vidin and killed up to 600 men. Half of the victims died while trying to cross the Danube. Only a 100 men fled and the rest were taken captives to Constantinople. The leader of the rebellion, Haydar Aga fled to Bosnia in which he remained silent until the 1790s. The new governor of Vidin was Kara Ali Pasha. The brutal Pasha of Morea was experienced enough to prevent further rebellions. His harsh behavior for rebellious attitude and his zero tolerance policy kept Morea safe for quite some time.

Regardless of the success, the Corps showed signs of banditry and rebellious attitudes. It was a shock when Mehmed V was killed in which almost everybody suspected the Janissary Corps Aga’s prepared it. But twenty years further and some Janissaries are acting more like bandits than Soldiers. Abdulhamid is worried, his Pashas are worried, his heir is worried. And now the people may get worried as well.

The Bektashi Order as missionaries, Balkans & Caucasus, 1775

In the second half of the 18th century the Bektashi Order, supported by the Janissary Corps, started an active form of Missionary Activity. Especially among Bulgarians and Albanians. Their sudden activity did not come from nowhere. With the rising power of the Janissaries and, what the Order perceived as, declining loyalty of the Christian Clergy to the state, the Order began active missions for converts in the Balkans. Under protection of the Janissaries, the Order worked in towns and rural lands. In the 1775, after almost 20 years of their growing their missionary activity around 40,000 Albanians; 80,000 Bulgarians; 48,000 Greeks; 2,000 Croats; 78,000 Serbs; 102,000 Circassians; 38,000 Georgians and 4,000 Armenians converted. In 20 years, up to 392,000 Christians were converted. Many of them either Peasants, Slaves or Merchants. The Christian Nobles in Greece and Bosnia were almost entirely unconverted with a few exceptions.

This Missionary activity caused unrest among the Greek Orthodox Patriarch. Feeling that there was no possibility to have the Sultan to stop, the Greek Orthodox Church started their own missionary campaign but among Christians. Converting Muslims will by no means be accepted by the State and the Wrath of the Muslim elite is not desirable. The Greek Orthodox Church wants to strengthen the ties between the Orthodox Christians and the Church in which they believed it declined due to warfare and famines. The people have to regain trust in the Church. Not only among Orthodox Christians, the Church went as far as seeking converts among the Maronites in Mount Lebanon and the Alawites in Jebel Alawiyya. The Sultan tried to ease the tensions to reduce the Bektashi missionary campaign in The Caucasus with an exception on Armenians as well. The Order was not happy about it and neither were the Janissaries. The Sultan however feared that besides the tensions, the Order will get too powerful. They must be kept away from the Corps base in the Balkans. The conversions weren’t bad but the ties between the Corps and the Order need to weaken.

Flourishing region called Anatolia, 1776

Since the rule of Mehmed V there were concerns about the large lands of Anatolia being so underdeveloped. They have more potential yet the towns, cities and villages are poor. Mustafa made some efforts by letting more skilled people to settle in Anatolia. More Clergy were sent from the Balkans to Anatolia to have the populace being taught to read or write. The roads between Anatolian towns were renewed and expanded. Towns like Diyarbakir were no longer isolated from towns like Kayseri and Konya. The ties between Azerbaijan and Anatolia started to grow and the trade started to flourish as well. The Kurds in Eastern Anatolia who became wealthy due to trade started to leave Eastern Anatolia for Western Anatolia and the Balkans, buying lands. Greek and Jewish Merchants started take advantage of the growing Trade in Eastern Anatolia and started to settle there with their families. Egyptians who had a poor life in Egypt were offered land in Anatolia in which they could have in exchange of giving half their crops to the state. It would take almost 40 years until Anatolia would no longer be considered as the backwater of the Empire. The demographic and Economic growth of Anatolia had positive effects on the Neighbouring Mesopotamia and Levant as well. With People moving all around the Empire they learned more about it and the wealthy populace became more aware of their situation and that of the Empire. This had both positive as well as negative effects. The net positive of the People moving around the Empire was optimism to support the Sultans Armies in Wars while the negative was the growing corruption with the Autonomous Pasha’s and Janissary Aga’s. As far as Sehzade Murad could tell, Anatolia started to grow and will reach its place in the world it deserves. If fortunes do not look well for us, we will lose all lands except Anatolia. Where it all started…

FjvFVnzlw_agc9avYi3MQX0ZVT7r2xoOq80Z800jtiNLBN5nSJJLGr1xmhWQAiv9xbRNJranoMrMHQMtV-cFGAn2pFiC-eDR9JS7CmJTBh-FpeD4AqYVM4Zlt1qkQ9LuKGqOCCuL
Sultan Abdulhamid I Khan, (1775-...)

Last edited:
What is the ottoman view of the persian reforms and foreign policy as it not what the ottomans want and now they are trying to spread shia islam.

The Ottomans are unsure how to feel about the Persians reforming. As long as the Persians recognise the superiority of the Ottomans, let the Ottoman garrison stay in Azerbaijan and allow the Ottoman missionaries to perform their work under Ottoman Protection they're somewhat okay. Ismail III was grateful for the Ottoman support to get his throne back but Mohammed II is less enthousiast about the Ottoman influence. All he cares about now is consolidating power over his realm. Any ambitious foreign preparations have to wait. There are still tribes and nobles being dangerous to him. So... not much problems with Persia... for now.

Persia and the Ottomans don't have the luxury of fighting with all the sharks circling them...

I wouldn't support a war either. I think that all wars from Otlubekli in 1473 to the last war 1823 were a waste of men and money. At the end nobody won.

But politics don't work with emotional behavior.

No war between Persia and Ottomans until 1800s at least. I don't know if there will be a war, likely not, but not gonna make false promises.

I wouldn't support a war either. I think that all wars from Otlubekli in 1473 to the last war 1823 were a waste of men and money. At the end nobody won.

But politics don't work with emotional behavior.

No war between Persia and Ottomans until 1800s at least. I don't know if there will be a war, likely not, but not gonna make false promises.

They can can always have rivalries, frenemy relations... without direct war.

What the chance the ottomans and safavid marry into each other to buy some breathing room, and this could also lead to a decline in the bad parts politic islam as both governments will be keeping their clergy in check from trying to push for war. Allowing for religion to lose some influence.

What the chance the ottomans and safavid marry into each other to buy some breathing room, and this could also lead to a decline in the bad parts politic islam as both governments will be keeping their clergy in check from trying to push for war. Allowing for religion to lose some influence.

Chances are high, we'll see.

The states would both likely see the clergy turn against them and rally the population, which by and large are pious and politically/civic nationalism disinterested peasents. It's important to remember a good deal of both dynasty's legitimacy is divine right/defender of the Faith based.

The states would both likely see the clergy turn against them and rally the population, which by and large are pious and politically/civic nationalism disinterested peasents. It's important to remember a good deal of both dynasty's legitimacy is divine right/defender of the Faith based.
I know, i don't mean they are going to turn into a secular society but one where the clergy can be curtailed in their power.

The Independence of the colonies, 1776

After the Seven Years war the British were in heavy debt due to the war. In order to get things back straight the British taxes were raised and new taxes were included. The colonists of the 13 Colonies were by no means happy about the taxation. It was for them even worse with taxing without asking the colonists approval. There was no representation for the colonists. This of course was informed to George III who had no interest in either lower the taxes or give the colonials representation they desired. Fearing that the income would go down and the Colony will leave the British rule. It was ignored for quite some time until 1775 when open revolt began.

The revolt of the colonials were not unseen by other European Powers. Especially the French saw it as an opportunity. It was no secret that the governor of New France was transporting weapons and ammunition to the colonials at order of the French King Louis XVI. After about a few months of rebellion the King of Morocco, Mohammed III, recognised the Americans as a sovereign state but not without getting anything in return of course. The Americans would pay a sum of money for protection rights on their Merchants near North Africa in which they also had the right to stay in Moroccan ports. This would later force Morocco in a war against the British on the side of the Americans during the bombing on Larache.

The first permanent ambassadors in Europe, 1776

Taking the Europeans as an example, the Ottomans made agreements with several European countries to settle permanent ambassadors. The countries in question being were France, Austria, Great Britain and Prussia. It was a start in which the Ottomans kept their permanent ambassadors in order to not waste any time and keep the relationship with European countries all time up. The first permanent ambassador was to France and it was Tatar Kasim Efendi. Protected by Ottoman Laws, there was also a Qadi sent to the states were there was a permanent Ambassador for juridical reasons.

The permanent Ambassadors settling were agreed on 1775 and settled in 1776. The net positives were that the Ottomans get in touch with all the events happening around the world such as the American war of Independence. This gave the Ottomans a chance to get it in their favour. Abdulhamids strict neutrality policy was still active and he had no interest in another war. But this could lead to favourable terms with European Powers. In his attempt to manoeuvre in the European diplomacy he used the situation to make the British turn more to a pro-Ottoman stance rather than a pro-Russian. Although at the time it did not seem to turn into a global war were European Great Powers were involved, Abdulhamid wanted information about every new event about the situation.

Anglo-Turkish Agreement, 1777

As soon as the British realised the French had a share in the War by transporting weapons from Quebec it resulted in a British crossover operation and capture of Quebec. New France was already weakly defended and the rise of British troops in North America made it possible to overrun French Canada. The French were furious and demanded the British retreated from their possessions in Canada. When the British pointed out the French Weapon transport to Colonial Rebels it seemed not possible and war was on knocking on the door.

The conflict rose when the French fleet was sailing from Calais to Brest which was seen as seen as preparations for war. As soon as the Fleet sailed away, possibly to the West Indies, from the main Royal Navy in the Channel the British government was sure about the French giving the first hit. In order to force the French to keep their fleet in France the Royal Navy frigates hit several French Ports in Normandy. As far as the British Government was concerned, war was already broken out.

The British ambassador was ordered by London to keep the Ottomans pro-Britain to keep the trade between the two states alive and prevent the French from turning the Ottomans hostile. The negotiations between Abdulhamid I and Sir Robert were for the British a success. Sir Robert did get more than he expected from the Ottomans. More than that King George III ever thought about it. The deals were made between the British ambassador and the Porte on April 14th 1777. The Anglo-Turkish agreement had the following as agreed to by both parties:

• British Merchant vessels can remain in Ottoman ports as long as their war lasts
  • Royal Navy ships can stay in Ottoman Ports as well as long as the war lasts with a quotum of 10 vessels per port with a range of 100 miles away from each other.
  • British Merchants using the Ottoman flag next to their British flag will be protected or guided if necessary to an Ottoman Port in the Seas east of the Corfu-Benghazi Line in Europe and the Red Sea and Persian Gulf in Asia.
  • The British will pay about 100,000 pounds for this treaty to be ratified. The amount is 10,000 Pounds per year

The British getting a safe port to stay if they were to be attacked by the enemy for about 10 years and longer if the war lasts longer. The Royal Navy now did not have to send vessels to protect the merchants in the Eastern Mediterranean. The French were not pleased with the Anglo-Turkish Agreement but did not want to fight a Naval War with more states than the existing British one. However, the French did show displease for the Ottoman decision. As far as George III was concerned, diplomatic isolation have to be prevented by all means.

zzyeE_FlX_uvwmB0AFn7Wo9Fbvvi-ZNnZlPR3ONcxJb648HxmrXKpaQ9ocOD00XPRXZ7bq7SoyLwnWYzzUGqI_WQXAt_G1jO4es-izdXcgH9JzyIL1Fhnk_zsnxRPG98AcDb7JHs
British Envoy to Istanbul, 1777

The Marriage of Sehzade Murad and his Crimean Princess, 1777

Sehzade Murad was the heir of Abdulhamid I. He was his nephew, the son of his brother. Abdulhamid did everything for the Sehzades to keep them happy and well educated as he saw them as his own children. Abdulhamid did give the most care for Sehzade Murad and the deceased Ibrahim. Murad would be what he considered as a model Sultan. And it would be because of this why Abdulhamid agreed to marry Murad to a Crimean Princess. Seeing the Europeans getting married to each other, he saw it as a chance to bring the Muslims of various regions closer together. Murads marriage lasted a whole weak. At the end of the wedding, the Sultan paid about 600,000 to debts of the poor people in Istanbul as a gesture for the celebrations. The marriage was over, the Sultan and Khan were pleased. Although the Crimeans were an Ottoman Vassal, the marriage brought them closer together. There were some points in the 17th and 18th century in which the Crimeans found themselves alienated by the Ottomans. There were even threats that the Crimeans would move away from Ottoman sphere to either Polish or Swedish influence. It was however difficult as Poland-Lithuania was too weak and Sweden was too far away. Mustafa made great efforts to keep the Crimeans on the Ottoman side. Both were the rivals of Russia and both would need each other in their struggle. It became more of an interest during Mustafa III rule in which Mustafa III tried to pursue a more influential rule in the Islamic World as Caliph. Abdulhamid continued this and it was supported by the Khan of the Crimea as well. For the first time in years, the Tatar populations of Kazan, Astrakhan and Tsaritsyn felt that they could be protected by discriminating Russian policies and it was because of this Peter III eased the harsh rules enacted by his predecessors. The marriage of the Heir of the Caliph and another Muslim leaders female relative was an attempt to show how close Muslim should be with each other. It was after all between two Sunnis. It would however be shock to some when Abdulhamid married the daughter of Mehmed V, Fatma Sultan, to Mohammed II of Persia later on. A Shia-Sunni marriage in which a long time was looked down upon. The daughter of a former Caliph married to a Shia. The downside of the upcoming Royal Marriages were the propaganda following it. The later marriage between Fatma Sultan and Mohammed II was used as a propaganda by the Wahabist faction in Nejd and the Al Saud clan to show the illegitimacy of the Ottoman Caliphs.

C5nLI36WgAAJBII.jpg
Sahib II Giray, Khan of the Crimean Khanate, 1777

It became more of an interest during Mustafa III rule in which Mustafa III tried to pursue a more influential rule in the Islamic World as Caliph
Shouldn't the first mustafa have a 's at the end as its about him. Sorry for being a grammer Nazi but that confused about the meaning of the sentence.

Just a question could the british employ ottoman troops to fight in the americas, wouldn't most ottoman troops be light, and used to woods and hilly places. Reason for this is that it allows for the new army to expand which means less importance on janissary corps, more income, better officer corps, more veteran army, allows for the balkan christians to be shipped away causing less problems in the homeland. The brits hired alot of Germans why not ottomans as well.

Shouldn't the first mustafa have a 's at the end as its about him. Sorry for being a grammer Nazi but that confused about the meaning of the sentence.

Just a question could the british employ ottoman troops to fight in the americas, wouldn't most ottoman troops be light, and used to woods and hilly places. Reason for this is that it allows for the new army to expand which means less importance on janissary corps, more income, better officer corps, more veteran army, allows for the balkan christians to be shipped away causing less problems in the homeland. The brits hired alot of Germans why not ottomans as well.

Hmmmm you gave me a Good idea...

I am thinking about Albanian Merchenaries chasing the Continentals accross North and South Carolinas... fearsome guys those Albanians :)

Some Tatar cavalry would be interesting as well.

Hiring non-white Muslim troops (from a supposedly "barbarian" power) to repress white Christian colonists will just not fly. Even for the most loyal colonists...or British population in the Home Islands for that matter.

MAYBE, Christian subjects of the OE. At most.

Status
Not open for further replies.