The Great Turk returns - Alternate resurging Ottomans (1747-1947)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Oi, you don't look Anglo-Saxon to me!"

"Am so..."

"Are not!"

Interesting things to discuss on the battlefields :p
*Starts stabbing colonist*

*other colonists stop fighting*

"He isn't anglo saxon as this cavalry force are too good to be british they can use cavalry correctly and effectively"

*distracted colonist all shot by british soldiers and ottomans now rape and pillage*

Albanians "profit"

But all serious ottoman cavarly would be better than british.

Well as long as they're indistinguishable visually (and in behavior) from regular British and German soldiers no problem.

But the minute a scandal occurs about "Turkish Mahomedan mercenaries raping white women" (even if it's a lie, or even if the men were actually not Turkish but Albanian, or Christian...) it would be a PR disaster.

"He isn't anglo saxon as this cavalry force are too good to be british they can use cavalry correctly and effectively"

*distracted colonist all shot by british soldiers and ottomans now rape and pillage*

Albanians "profit"

I can actually picture the scene it's hilarious

Albanians "profit"

It would be helpful and have easier mobility in the colonies.

I was thinking about it and now I will apply it. You'll the results tomorrow hopefully.

Shouldn't the first mustafa have a 's at the end as its about him. Sorry for being a grammer Nazi but that confused about the meaning of the sentence.

Just a question could the british employ ottoman troops to fight in the americas, wouldn't most ottoman troops be light, and used to woods and hilly places. Reason for this is that it allows for the new army to expand which means less importance on janissary corps, more income, better officer corps, more veteran army, allows for the balkan christians to be shipped away causing less problems in the homeland. The brits hired alot of Germans why not ottomans as well.
There were however armed Christians in the Empire. Be it merchenaries from Albania, be it Serb landlords. Hell even in Lebanon.

Thats why they are in america and their families are still in the balkans they either they fight or die there for their families to get income to support them and then disarm them when coming home.
Not if you intend them to be the basis of a new army to replace or reduce the dependence on the Janissary corps.

Well as long as they're indistinguishable visually (and in behavior) from regular British and German soldiers no problem.

But the minute a scandal occurs about "Turkish Mahomedan mercenaries raping white women" (even if it's a lie, or even if the men were actually not Turkish but Albanian, or Christian...) it would be a PR disaster.
But didn't Frederick the great Balkan soldiers do and that didn't cause a uproar, also deploy them in the interior, first they are french (interior people) they (ottomans) might get a medel for killing french. Also the ottomans to keep a secret would kill the entire village problem solved and the interior is not well mapped.

But didn't Frederick the great Balkan soldiers do and that didn't cause a uproar, also deploy them in the interior, first they are french they might get a medel for killing french. Also the ottomans to keep a secret would kill the entire village problem solved and the interior is not well mapped.

Agreed. Throw them at the French (and their Native allies). But keep them away from Colonial civilians just in case.

Not if you intend them to be the basis of a new army to replace or reduce the dependence on the Janissary corps.
Well you can send the christains, the Muslim units can be held back for other reasons 'such as in case of french retaliation' and they are the 'reinforcements or second wave'

But didn't Frederick the great Balkan soldiers do and that didn't cause a uproar, also deploy them in the interior, first they are french they might get a medel for killing french. Also the ottomans to keep a secret would kill the entire village problem solved and the interior is not well mapped.
Frederick ruled an absolutist monarchy and his opponents were all foreign states.People in BNA were more into self-rule,with the British colonies being largely self ruled until after the 7YW in otl.They also considered themselves British.To win the struggle,the British needs to be more PR savvy than they were iotl.

Last edited:
Frederick rules an absolutist monarchy and his opponents were all foreign states.People in BNA were more into self-rule,with the British colonies being largely self ruled until after the 7YW in otl.They also considered themselves British.To win the struggle,the British needs to be more PR savvy tan they were iotl.
Fuck it go all 9/11 conspiracy on this bitch have the ottomans pretend to be hired by french to support the rebels discrediting them.

To be frank, this nitpicking over what American ignorance on race in 1777 makes them think in a timeline about the Ottoman Empire is just...blegh. Who gives a shit what they think. If the British are desperate enough to hire Ottoman manpower, they'll hire Ottoman manpower, end of story. Especially if that manpower can turn the tides of war for them or let them force a negotiated peace instead of outright independence like OTL.

The thing with the pr stuff is the French themselves are much more involved in the rebellion making it not a Englishmen vs Englishman conflict (the Americans had alot of support in the uk as they were seen as british people) but here its the who french started war supporting traitors (basically jacobites) we cannot place the reaction to the germans otl will happen here to the ottomans as this is not seen as a war of brit gov repressing good brits but rather brit gov stopping jacobites allied to the french from conquering good brits and protestant. With the last jacobite rebellion in still living memory, less of the population will be neutral or sympathetic as this could be a papist plot, look France, austria, prussians (wrong Protestantism) working together and giving catholic poland protestant land which gives more credibility to the idea. British attitude would be better turkish (in this case Albanian) than a papist.

Okay since I forgot to tell why I started from 1747... I wanted a TL where the Ottomans keep the Balkans under its rule (no Serbia, Greece etc...). I could have started with a POD during Selim III but I felt like having the Crimean Khanate exist for not being the only Islamic State in Europe and I mean, why not? It is interesting to see another Islamic State to develop in the 19th century. So I came to a choice were to start... as latests as 1774 with Abdul Hamid ascending the Throne and as early as Nader Shahs death for opportunities. Initially I planned Osman III/Mustafa III rule as a beginning but at the very last moment changed to Nader Shahs death.

So to give you an insight... I want a reforming Ottoman Empire from the earliest time possible without affecting too much of European politics that happens in the 19th century. And from the 19th Century onward, things may change more. This is also why try to go through the 18th century as fast as I can without leaving important information behind.

Hope you keep enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.