Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, took those countries long enough. Also don't expect the German immigrants in South America to be neutral, you can expect the South Americans keeping a tab on their respective communities, while nazism begins taking root there.
If Ronald wants to give the ultimate middle finger to Heydrich, send a multi ethnic, multiracial(African Americans, Jewish, etc) to the next Olympics, and dominate the German teams. I'd pay good money to watch the Nazis frothing at those filthy "subhumans" beating their superior Aryan race.

I'd love to see a movie about the Battle of the Holy See here.

Speaking of the Cinema, considering how Anti-Nazi Hollywood is (Including The Gipper himself) and how the Germans embraced film it'd be cool to see that aspect of the "Culture Wars" part of the Cold War covered. With the 50th Anniversary of the first colored film coming up, I could see a remake/adaption or sequel to The Wizard of Oz (emblem of America's tradition of political commentary in literature) made with a solid Anti-Nazi spin.

"The Man with the Iron Heart" could make a great Tin Man gone bad (Not having a real heart, saved from stagnation by oil). The Cowardly "Lion of Verdun"... there are possabilities here. A young Tim Burtan could be inspired...

Meanwhile, a new Papal Conclave commenced in Rome in May 1985. Most cardinals recognized Gregory XVII as the legitimate Pope and rejected the new conclave as illegitimate. All remaining German cardinals, however, attended. Many Italian cardinals attended too, though a number of them said they couldn’t come because of some vague illness. The 64 year-old Cardinal-Archbishop Giovanni Benelli of Florence was one of those who remained and later said he participated to prevent a true Nazi Pope from taking control and corrupting the Vatican, or worse, destroying it.
I could be wrong, but I think this line of thought could be considered heresy (his actions are predicated on the idea that human evil is stronger than God: 'And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.' (Matthew 16:18) Incidentally, Peter is considered by Catholics to be the first pope).

Speaking of the Cinema, considering how Anti-Nazi Hollywood is (Including The Gipper himself) and how the Germans embraced film it'd be cool to see that aspect of the "Culture Wars" part of the Cold War covered. With the 50th Anniversary of the first colored film coming up, I could see a remake/adaption or sequel to The Wizard of Oz (emblem of America's tradition of political commentary in literature) made with a solid Anti-Nazi spin.

"The Man with the Iron Heart" could make a great Tin Man gone bad (Not having a real heart, saved from stagnation by oil). The Cowardly "Lion of Verdun"... there are possabilities here. A young Tim Burtan could be inspired...
I don't know about you guys, but those damn Nazis took away the Terminator franchise from us, they took Arnie... This means war

Isn't portugal a British ally? Even of.it weren't i have a incredibly hard time imaging them recongizg the Nazi pope, considering they are ideologically in the same place as Spain,we're always like warm at best about the Nazis and would have a citizenry who would be quick to call bullcrap. They don't even have the threat of Military force hanging over there head, due to being right next to Spain.

Last edited:
Wonder if Sabaton's "The Last Stand" in this universe would be doing double duty referencing both last stands of the Papal Swiss Guard...

A Nazi regime that outlives the USSR? This IS a different take.
That has always been such a cliche.
Take away the evil and power struggles it is a regulated free market, from a point of strategic High Ground. It doesn’t have to fall before the Nazis let down their guard.
I wonder, if the TL should go more dystopian, Spain could be obliterated in a first strike with the first strike and a ballistic missile defense could take most/some of the Spanish missiles.

That has always been such a cliche.
Take away the evil and power struggles it is a regulated free market, from a point of strategic High Ground. It doesn’t have to fall before the Nazis let down their guard.
I wonder, if the TL should go more dystopian, Spain could be obliterated in a first strike with the first strike and a ballistic missile defense could take most/some of the Spanish missiles.
No excessive grimdark, please. TTL got enough of that already, no reason to turn it into Warhammer Cold War.

You are right, it certainly doesn’t have to. Its just, its a game of chicken and Heydrich lost....

Himmler knows his chickens, in both the figurative and literal sense. You don't survive the way to the top of the Nazi hierarchy by developing a temperment that requires that level of reckless abandon.

Portugal would not support the Nazi-imposed Pope. Even during the WW2, popular support (even among many Estado Novo supporters) was for the Allies.

When the Nazi Reich is over, the House of Savoy will be gone from Italy.

Since we're talking about the film industry, what about Fred Rogers? Mr. Roger's neighborhood is probably going to be more politically and morally conscious than otl. It'll probably disapprove racial supremacy, and discrimination in more open sense.

Even anticlerical fascists in Italy should be in uproar... because a German military team entered the Italian capital city without the consent of Italy to carry a major and public operation. Italy was always second fiddle to Germany, but she was also proud of not being a German puppet and not being pushed around, and saw herself as the reincarnation of the Roman Empire of old.

As soon as Dino Grandi is dead, the successors might go towards a German-Italian split... Or they may use their African territories to quietly develop nuclear weapons (and/or better chemical, biological and radiological weapons which can be a deterrent enough as Italy is right under Germany...), and then once they have their own WMDs, stop dancing Germany's tune. If they haven't already started to develop their WMDs...

The only thing that maintains Italy in the German orbit is, possibly, the colonial conflicts and US anticolonialism... But even that might be overshadowed by the Germans violating Italian sovereignty so blatantly. Maintaining your own independence takes priority over colonies. Plus, if Italy is willing to switch sides, the USA might be willing to stop supporting anti-Italian rebels in Africa...

Status
Not open for further replies.