Fate of Alaska in a Confederate victory?

• Remains part of Russia

Votes: 37 20.1%
  • Still purchased by the U.S.

Votes: 67 36.4%
  • Conquered by Britain, annexed to Canada

Votes: 64 34.8%
  • Other (reply)/See results

Votes: 16 8.7%

• Total voters
What do y'all recon would be the fate of Alaska in a Confederate victory scenario? I'm considering making some revisions to my own Confederate timeline.

It becomes a refuge for White Russians after the collapse of Imperial Russia into civil war, and becomes first a British and later a Canadian client state/protectorate.

IMO still purchased by the US. The basic reasoning for the Russians selling still exists, and the US would be smarting from its defeat and looking for some sort of triumph. Russia might even get a slightly better price.

Most likely it becomes part of Canada. It will be flooded with Canadian and American settlers. Even if Britain doesn't buy it or win it in a "normal" war, it will be flooded with Canadian and American settlers. They will revolt against the absolute (and non-Protestant) monarchy a la Florida. Most likely it would become part of Canada, but it could also plausibly become "Canada's Canada" or be annexed to the USA like in OTL.

Why would the US conquer Canada just to get Alaska?
They wouldn't, they would conquer Canada in the Anglo American war that would take place because the US would blame the UK for the CSA victory and take Canada as revenge with some Russian help they would then buy Alaska from Russia.

Nephi

Banned
The British conquer it and becomes part of Canada.

Which I think they do not long after the civil war too, at least by 1890.

I think that it would still become part of the United States. Due to the Great Game, Russia would not want to sell Alaska to its rival Britain. I personally agree with wcv215, in that the U.S. buys it in order to distract the public from the recent loss in the South.

Nephi

Banned
An influential Russian nobleman converts to LDS, and through financial shenanigans Alaska becomes the homeland of Mormonism.

Well now that's interesting, if things go like timeline 191.

I do wonder what the actual fate of Mormons would have been there.

Mormons are pretty patriotic Turtledoves lazy AH that made them into Palestinians, but at least they got Hawaii.

Well now that's interesting, if things go like timeline 191.

I do wonder what the actual fate of Mormons would have been there.

Mormons are pretty patriotic Turtledoves lazy AH that made them into Palestinians, but at least they got Hawaii.

Palestinian Mormons?

Nephi

Banned
Palestinian Mormons?

Yeah he wrote in Mormon suicide bombers which I'm aware is a terrible stereotype but how is that going to help anybody?

Killing yourself and a bunch of innocent people will only make your enemy come down harder on you.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see a reason why the US wouldn't still buy Alaska from the Russians.
The only reason I can think of might be the lack of hard cash.
With the loss of the cash crops like cotton, tobacco etc that were big revenue generators in the export markets.