The Eternal Flame Dies Out: Rome Loses The Siege of Veii

So who's Alexander the Great's father this time? Philippos or Jason? And what banner will Jason fly when he invades Persia?

Molossian King of Epiros, Neoptolemos I to seek an alliance.
Neoptolemos had seen what the Thessalian was capable of, and so
was wise to accept the offer, sending back his 6 year old daughter
Olympias as a hostage in a show of good faith. For now she was
merely a guest in Jason's court, but historians have the benefit of hindsight of being able to point to this moment being the one that
would lead her down the path to marriage with Philippos.

Hmm I guess Alexander the Great still has a chance to be born...

You just contradicted yourself. You just said that Alexander would not be either the child of either Philip or Jason. I doubt it would be anyone else. Thusly he must not exist.

I didn't contradict myself as you will see later...OTL Alexander cannot possibly be born due to butterflies. That's about as all as I'll hint at though.

You just contradicted yourself. You just said that Alexander would not be either the child of either Philip or Jason. I doubt it would be anyone else. Thusly he must not exist.

I didn't contradict myself as you will see later...OTL Alexander cannot possibly be born due to butterflies. That's about as all as I'll hint at though.
1) "perhaps" doesn't mean he WILL be born. So if he doesn't exist, that's not a contradiction.
2) he could be the descendant (grandson or further) of one of those guys.
3) The Athenians or Spartans or someone could get their act together and produce an all-conquering hero of that name. Magna Graeca is more likely, now that I think of it.
4) as the author says, wait and see.

1) "perhaps" doesn't mean he WILL be born. So if he doesn't exist, that's not a contradiction.
2) he could be the descendant (grandson or further) of one of those guys.
3) The Athenians or Spartans or someone could get their act together and produce an all-conquering hero of that name. Magna Graeca is more likely, now that I think of it.
4) as the author says, wait and see.

There's also the possibility that a son of Philip will have the name of Alexander as well-just not OTL Alexander.

Who is running things in Macedon now on a day by day basis?
Basileus is far away in Phessalia or somewhere else. Crown Prince Philip is too young.
Who is in charge if anything happens?
- the sudden invasion of a small band of warlike neighbors which is too small to be managed personally by basileus and too big to be repulsed by local militia;
- the taxation
- judicial problems: squabbling aristocrats, towns against peasantry and so on

Macedon is a country with a strong 'national' identity so they might be angered if some foreigners are appointed as bosses, but on the other hand basileus needs his own people on place.

Is Parmenion a real power in Macedon? Or is it some kind of Council? Or is it power vacuum?
Are there mercenaries of Jason in Macedon?

Who is running things in Macedon now on a day by day basis?
Basileus is far away in Phessalia or somewhere else. Crown Prince Philip is too young.
Who is in charge if anything happens?
- the sudden invasion of a small band of warlike neighbors which is too small to be managed personally by basileus and too big to be repulsed by local militia;
- the taxation
- judicial problems: squabbling aristocrats, towns against peasantry and so on

Macedon is a country with a strong 'national' identity so they might be angered if some foreigners are appointed as bosses, but on the other hand basileus needs his own people on place.

Is Parmenion a real power in Macedon? Or is it some kind of Council? Or is it power vacuum?
Are there mercenaries of Jason in Macedon?

I was actually thinking of all these things during school today (I probably should have been thinking about school since finals are at the end of the week...). Many of them will be addressed in subsequent updates.

Can you make a map?

Coming right up.

Thrilling pair of updates sly; I would have to agree with Russian, this is my favorite timeline on the site right now! The only thing I would say is that I think it would be good the first time you put up your alternate date to put in parentheses or as a footnote the corresponding OTL date, so:

slydessertfox said:
It was only late November 406 (370 BC)

Anyways, great work as always. Jason as King of Macedonia as well as Tagos of Thessaly is a unique move, essentially making him TTL's Philip (at least seemingly), and it'll be interesting to see how early-pubescent Philip evolves ITTL under Jason's rule. Russian has some good questions too that I see you're planning on addressing. Can't wait to see where you take this.

Thrilling pair of updates sly; I would have to agree with Russian, this is my favorite timeline on the site right now! The only thing I would say is that I think it would be good the first time you put up your alternate date to put in parentheses or as a footnote the corresponding OTL date, so:
Thanks, I'm happily surprised my timeline is that good. :D I always forget to add that parentheses with the OTL date lol. Thanks for pointing that out.

Anyways, great work as always. Jason as King of Macedonia as well as Tagos of Thessaly is a unique move, essentially making him TTL's Philip (at least seemingly), and it'll be interesting to see how early-pubescent Philip evolves ITTL under Jason's rule. Can't wait to see where you take this.
Indeed, he might have some explaining to do to the Thessalian aristocracy...on the other hand, a powerful army is a nice persuader. :cool:

As for Phillip, I'm not sure what I want to do with him yet-but it will be glorious.

Thanks, I'm happily surprised my timeline is that good. :D

To be fair, I don't read that many timelines on here. :p

I always forget to add that parentheses with the OTL date lol. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hakuna matata.

Indeed, he might have some explaining to do to the Thessalian aristocracy...on the other hand, a powerful army is a nice persuader. :cool:

Indeed indeed.

As for Phillip, I'm not sure what I want to do with him yet-but it will be glorious.

I fully anticipate that it shall be. :cool:

Here's the shiny new map:

Greece The Eternal Flame Dies Out.jpg