The Eternal Flame Dies Out: Rome Loses The Siege of Veii

Chapter III: The Age Of The Hellenes
Part X: Enter Mentor of Rhodes

oduWKx0.jpg

Bust of Mentor of Rhodes

Mentor of Rhodes was not the likeliest of figures to find himself in command of the Thessalian fleet at such a critical moment in the war. Only in his 22nd year, Mentor had entered the service of Jason as a mercenary merely 3 years earlier. Alketas, who served alongside him, had nothing but praise for Mentor, whom he explained had bravery that was surpassed by nobody. According to Alketas, even at this early stage Mentor had a strong grasp of strategy and tactics that would mark him out for a bright future under Jason's wing. For his part, Jason had took an interest in Mentor early on, recognizing talent and ability when he saw it. Despite the youth's inexperience, he was given ever larger and more important commands, finally culminating in the biggest test of all, command of his fleet.

The task presented to Mentor was a daunting one. Jason never held his fleet in high regard, and thus wasted little attention and resources on maintaining anything beyond a fleet size that needed to be respected by his opponents. It is this lack of interest in his navy that led Jason to support someone such as Mentor as its admiral, rather than a more senior and experienced military commander, whom he believed would be of more use to him on land.

The Rhodian was not one to back down from a challenge such as this however. He saw an opportunity to let his talents shine and separate himself from the rest of the pack. It is not surprising then that he dove into this task with great eagerness. This is not to say he had unrealistic expectations and was blind to the fact he was controlling a navy with little effective training or actual combat experience. It was the understanding of his limitations and weaknesses that allowed Mentor to construct a highly effective navy for the coming campaign. Most of that winter and spring (as he had been appointed in late November of the previous year to prepare for a campaign in 413[363]) was spent outfitting and training his sailors to conduct complex maneuvers. He personally hired Athenian trireme captains to assist in his training in order to make sure his men were being taught by the best of the best at naval warfare.

Despite the months of training, there was still the very real reality that Mentor's navy had yet to see any actual serious action, and was outnumbered by the Theban fleet. The Athenians were unwilling or perhaps unable (as we know they had trouble financing any campaign at this time) to send their fleet out again that year, and urged Mentor to wait for the following spring in 414[362 BC] to launch any attack jointly with them. Mentor had strict orders from Jason to win on his own however, as Jason did not wish to share this victory with the Athenians, seeing an opportunity instead to position himself so as to be able to dictate the peace entirely on his own terms. So the Rhodian admiral was forced to send his navy out that year against a more numerous Theban foe under Iolaides.

Like Chabrias, Mentor was hoping to use Iolaides boldness and eagerness to engage, against him. Unlike Chabrias, he did not have one of the most experienced fleets in Hellenic history under his command. To make up for this, he packed as many marines as he could on his ships, hoping to turn any naval engagement into a land one, where his men might have the advantage. This limited the amount of time his navy could be out at sea (more mouths to feed), but that did not trouble Mentor as he had every intention to bring Iolaides to battle quickly.

By the end of May he was operating out of the Chalkidian Peninsula, wearily watching Iolaides as he detached Lesbos and Lemnos from Athenian control. Not willing to sit back and watch the Thebans take one stronghold after another, Mentor decided to make his move. He re-based to Thasos, inching ever closer to the Theban fleet at Lemnos. Having made sure Iolaides knew of his new position, he made a dash for the Chersonesse, in order to make it look like he was attempting to threaten Byzantion and possibly support Iphikrates. Iolaides took the bait and sailed out to intercept him, sensing an opportunity to crush the young and inexperienced Mentor. It was exactly what the Rhodian was hoping for.

Mentor halted his fleet at Samothrakia, making it appear he could not escape Iolaides interception and accepting battle on unfavorable terms. Yet what Iolaides did not notice was that there were merely 75 ships in front of his 140. The Thessalian navy numbered 105, meaning a whopping 30 ships were unaccounted for. Mentor had earlier split them off from his fleet, ordering them to sail to the other end of Samothrakia, where Iolaides and his fleet could not spot them. The fog helped to conceal the fact that the Thessalian navy was that presented itself for battle was far smaller than it should have been. Iolaides sensed blood, and eagerly prepared for battle. It was July 2nd.

s9gIfgP.gif

No coherent account of the deployments of the two navies come down to us, as most accounts focused on the deception employed by Mentor. Both sides likely arrayed in a standard formation, Iolaides not feeling the need to get creative and Mentor knowing his decisive force was on the other side of the island. As the battle commenced, the Thessalians initially had the upper hand. Using grappling hooks to reel in the opposing ships, they sent their more numerous marines to board them. Numbers began taking their toll however, and the Thebans regained control of the battle. Then from the Theban right flank, a large number of ships were spotted storming out of the fog. It was Mentor's hidden squadron, and they arrived at the decisive moment, crashing into the side of the Theban formation, the ships from Chios who were stationed there taking the brunt of the attack.

The battle was not yet over, as the Thebans and their allies still had numbers on their side, but it looked increasingly grim. The Theban right flank lost all organization as they fought off forces from the front and the flank, and Mentor's marines proved effective. Iolaides attempted to swing the battle back in his favor by breaking Mentor's center, but on this occasion, the center did hold, valiantly beating off the desperate attack. With the right rapidly collapsing and his own attack in the center bogging down, Iolaides tried to extract what he could from the engagement safely. That would turn out to be only 30 ships from a navy of 140, the rest either sunk or captured by Mentor. Mentor's fleet took a pounding as well, losing 25 ships out of 110. The losses would have been far larger, if not for the fact that in victory they were able to salvage most of the damaged triremes. Defeated at land at sea, the overstretched Thebans had reached a breaking point.

Last edited:
Mentor joins Jason - Memnon soon to follow? With them in Thessaly's service, Persia's command corps looks weaker in the future.

Things looked bad for Thebes yesterday; today it looks even worse. Poor Thebes... hopefully it doesn't suffer the same eventual fate it suffered IOTL.

Things looked bad for Thebes yesterday; today it looks even worse. Poor Thebes... hopefully it doesn't suffer the same eventual fate it suffered IOTL.

I guess if Jason is really serious to unite the Greeks some Greek city is supposed to be made an example of. Some city burned to the ground and all it's population murdered or enslaved would be a good lesson to Greece.
That is the only thing which will make these unruly Greeks to think twice before going against Jason.
But you cannot just erase an ancient famous Greek city, they have to deserve it. Some treachery, treason - rebellion after a signed piece treaty, murdering of the Thessalian garrison or something like that would do...

I like this a lot. I think you are going to be there or there abouts come award time. You would certainly have my vote.;)

I guess if Jason is really serious to unite the Greeks some Greek city is supposed to be made an example of. Some city burned to the ground and all it's population murdered or enslaved would be a good lesson to Greece.
That is the only thing which will make these unruly Greeks to think twice before going against Jason.
But you cannot just erase an ancient famous Greek city, they have to deserve it. Some treachery, treason - rebellion after a signed piece treaty, murdering of the Thessalian garrison or something like that would do...
I guess we'll have to see.
Interesting developments.
Glad to see you are enjoying them.
I like this a lot. I think you are going to be there or there abouts come award time. You would certainly have my vote.;)

Thanks!:D That means a lot.

So I'm playing a little catch up here with the Peloponnesians, since big things were supposed to happen in 413, before Mentor's victory in 414. Enjoy.

Chapter III: The Age of The Hellenes
Part XI: The Big Switch

The Theban army that was supposed to assist the Arkadians in the Peloponnese in 413[363], never materialized. Their defeat at the hands of Jason at Naryx forced them to turn their full attention on land towards securing Boeotia from invasion. As a result, the Arkadian League began to buckle in 413 under the combined weight of the Spartans and Argive-Korinthians. Dissent began to sow within the league, forcing the Arkadian strategos Eukleides to seek a battle, hoping to at least relieve the pressure and gain some breathing room for the pro-war faction in the league which he identified with. The engagement was fought in July, at the seemingly eternal battlefield of Mantinea, host to many an epic Hellenic battle.

Had Eukleides triumphed on that day, it is interesting to ponder that, paradoxically, the course of events may have taken a negative turn for the Arkadians, as they likely still would not have been able to hold off the onslaught of their enemies in the long term given the lack of Theban support. Instead, things could not have went more favorably for their fortunes. The Arkadians achieved great success on their right flank and center, where their elite and more experienced troops simply outclassed their Argive-Korinthian opponents. Yet they too could not stand up to the elite Spartan and Korinthian units anchoring their right flank, and so Eukleides organized a hasty withdrawal, leaving the field to his adversaries. The battle itself was a stalemate, both the Arkadians and Argive-Korinthians and Spartans taking heavy casualties from the elites of their opponents.

In one of those weird twist of fates, Mantinea would be a blessing in disguise for the Arkadians. Lacking sufficient manpower to continue the campaign, the allied force withdrew. Yet the survival of the elite hoplite forces of Sparta and Korinthos contrasting with the decimation of their ordinary hoplite class countrymen planted ideas in the heads of those elite soldiers. The elite regiments were mostly drawn from the upper class, the Greek word for elite meaning someone of high birth or social status[1]

The upper class of Korinthos were no fans of the union with Argos and with the new democracy in the city that marked its inception, and they saw a window of opportunity to reclaim their city for themselves with the rest of the Korinthian forces weakened.

In this endeavor they were supported by the Spartans present. No fans of Argos and also seeking an opportunity to expand their direct influence, the Spartan forces agreed to accompany the Korinthians back to Korinthos. The coup got off without a hitch, the Korinthian and Spartan forces seizing the city once they arrived, seeking out and murdering the leaders of the democracy that hadn't joined them or fled. The success was total, as an oligarchy was established and the unity constitution tore up.

The more moderate members of the new oligarchy tried desperately to keep things manageable and steer Korinthos away from any hasty action in the war theater. Some favored continuing the war against the Arkadian League, but they were in a minority. This angered the Spartan King Kleomenes who remained in the city and tried to strong arm the oligarchs into maintaining the war, stating that continued support for the war had been an unspoken condition for Spartan support. With pro-war support remaining in jeopardy, Kleomenes staged his own attempted coup, storming the Akrokorinthos[2]. The coup backfired spectacularly, the garrison on the Akrokorinthos too strong to dislodge, and now Kleomenes found himself besieged within the city. Only by throwing themselves at the gates were the Spartan forces able to break out and make a hasty retreat for Sparta.

x15dfO7.jpg

View of Korinthos from the Akrokorinthos

Recent events now had allowed the moderates to lose complete control of the situation in the city. The more radical elements of the coup, those who were more amenable to the Arkadian League and supported war with Argos and Sparta, gained ascendency in the wake of the botched coup attempt. Riding on the wave of anti-Spartan sentiment, they succeeded in getting a declaration of war on Sparta, entering into an alliance with the Arkadians and simply by association dragging Argos into war against them.

Their impact was immediately felt, as by August a Korinthian offensive into Argive territory succeeded in taking the key town of Nemea in October, depriving the Agives of a key base of operations. Yet that was all they were able to accomplish until the following spring, as they were still recovering from the heavy losses at Mantinea and the political turmoil that followed. Yet serious damage to the Peloponnesian war effort had already been done.

[1] Can someone confirm or deny this? I got it from here: http://en.glosbe.com/en/grc/elite
[2] Acrocorinth

Good update. It'll be interesting to see Jason's response to the events in the Peloponnese. Would Argos ask for his aid against Corinth and Sparta?

Good update. It'll be interesting to see Jason's response to the events in the Peloponnese. Would Argos ask for his aid against Corinth and Sparta?
Well Argos and Sparta find themselves in the awkward position of being mutual enemies of Corinth at this point, so despite Sparta's betrayal they are ending up on the same side...not that either of them want to. :cool: It's always a possibility that they may appeal to an outside power such as Jason, but I won't reveal anything.

Well Argos and Sparta find themselves in the awkward position of being mutual enemies of Corinth at this point, so despite Sparta's betrayal they are ending up on the same side...not that either of them want to. :cool: It's always a possibility that they may appeal to an outside power such as Jason, but I won't reveal anything.

Gotchya, I wasn't quite sure if there was a three-way war brewing or if it was Corinth and the Arcadian League versus the ultimate "enemy of my enemy is my friend alliance" in Sparta-Argos. Seriously, I'm not sure I can think of a time that Sparta and Argos were allied besides Sparta occasionally conquering Argos and ruling by a proxy oligarchy, so that's a neat twist. I'm going to guess next update will be Jason's response to these events. But, regardless, looking forward to the next update as always.

So, in post 182, Mentor is being mentored?

Given that the usage of 'mentor' as an experienced advisor onlynreally dates to 1699, apparently, could this affect the usage of the word? Perhaps having both meanings? Like French «hôte» means both guest and host?

Just curious.

Gotchya, I wasn't quite sure if there was a three-way war brewing or if it was Corinth and the Arcadian League versus the ultimate "enemy of my enemy is my friend alliance" in Sparta-Argos. Seriously, I'm not sure I can think of a time that Sparta and Argos were allied besides Sparta occasionally conquering Argos and ruling by a proxy oligarchy, so that's a neat twist. I'm going to guess next update will be Jason's response to these events. But, regardless, looking forward to the next update as always.
Yeah, I laughed when I realized I just made Argos and Sparta on the same side.
So, in post 182, Mentor is being mentored?

Given that the usage of 'mentor' as an experienced advisor onlynreally dates to 1699, apparently, could this affect the usage of the word? Perhaps having both meanings? Like French «hôte» means both guest and host?

Just curious.
Hmmm, never thought about that. Though I no very little about language, so I couldn't speculate on that. It's interesting to ponder though.

Chapter III: The Age Of The Hellenes
Part XII: The Battle Of Koroneia

xJFO6yh.png

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]The Thebans had braced themselves for the worst in 413[363 BCE] focusing their entire efforts on land towards blunting a Thessalian assault. Yet as the months passed by and the year came to a close, Jason’s army remained encamped in Phokia, poised to strike yet remaining still. This has perplexed historians to this day, who offer numerous explanations. Some of the most popular theories include the Boeotian army remaining a potent force following their defeat, to political intrigue at home forcing his focus there. The former makes little sense, as the Boeotian army could only get stronger the longer Jason waited, not weaker. The latter theory does have some merit, though on its own should not have been enough to keep Jason home. Rather, I believe it was a combination of factors that led him to forego military operations for the year.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif] With the entrance of the Boeotian fleet into the war, Jason was particularly worried about protecting his coastline. Raids along his coast would be particularly bothersome while he was away on campaign, and so it is not out of the realm of possibility that Jason was planning on launching his campaign after an Athenian naval victory. Given what we know of their excellent future relationship, it’s possible Chabrias and Jason were in frequent communication and coordinating their moves in tandem with one another, and Chabrias’ defeat may have disrupted Jason’s plans. In addition to this, some politicking may have been involved. If Jason was truly trying to come out of this war as the clear and only real winner, then it would be desirable to allow the squabbling Hellenic city-states bash their heads against each other for another year.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif] Whatever the reason, Jason held back in 413 and prepared the groundwork for a land and sea offensive the following year. By year’s end the scope of those activities had widened to Korinthos with the arrival of several Korinthian exiles pleading for his support. The puzzle pieces had all fallen neatly in order, and all the Thessalian Tagos had to do was join them altogether.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif] As already observed, the year’s action at sea was dominated by Mentor’s dazzling naval triumph, sweeping the Boeotian fleet from the seas. On land Jason preferred to take things methodically. Waiting until word reached him of Mentor’s victory at Samothrakia, Jason launched his invasion of Boeotia in earnest in mid July. As if on cue, Pelopidas and Daiphantos emerged from Thebai to confront him. The two armies would converge outside Koroneia.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif] The terrain outside Koroneia was particularly hilly and uneven, something the outnumbered Pelopidas was keen on taking advantage of. Despite his best efforts, Jason was unable to draw him out onto the plain. This was not a problem in itself, as Jason’s soldier were more than capable of fighting on broken terrain, but Jason would have preferred a wide open field. Even so, he drew up to attack the Boeotian lines on August 11[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]th[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, serif], 414.[/FONT]
--------------------------------------------
xpHRhed.jpg

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Koroneia, August 11[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]th[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, serif], 8am[/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Jason emerged from his tent and surveyed the camp, bustling with activity as soldiers ate their breakfast, gathered their gear and sharpened their weapons. Today will be the day I gain hegemony over Hellas, he thought. [/FONT]

“[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Alexandros!” he summoned over his brother, who had been conversing with Amyntas son of Antipatros and Eumenes Chrysostom, so named because he could sway anyone with his speech. [/FONT]
“[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Yes, brother?” Alexandros walked over. [/FONT]

“[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Start spreading the word to the phalengarch’s and strategoi[1] to begin lining up the phalanx in battle formation. I want no more than 10,000 men standing out there at one time for now though. I want it clear that the units standing out there are to be regularly rotated with those resting. Make sure the men are continually supplied with water as well,” Jason waved him on, knowing Alexandros never bothered to ask many questions when given orders. That was not because of a lack of inquisitiveness on his part, but because he usually perfectly understood what Jason was thinking. [/FONT]

“[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]That’s an odd order sir,” Ariston of Larissa, one of those phalengarchs, came up behind Jason. “But I’m sure you know what you’re doing.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Jason looked up in the direction of the sky and asked Ariston how hot he felt just standing here, “Pretty hot, yeah,” he responded. [/FONT]
“[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Now picture standing there in full armor, surrounded by bodies, the sun beating down on you, and your water back in your camp where you can’t get it. Imagine doing that for a few hours.” He paused to let Ariston thin about that, “The Thebans are going to deploy as soon as they see our men doing the same. And they will wait there for us to come to them, baking in the sun for a few hours. While our men of course are constantly rotating and being hydrated, remaining fresh. That’s how you tire out an enemy and wear him out mentally.”[/FONT]
[/FONT]
“[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]I see. Like I said sir, you always know your stuff. Can’t say I would have done the same, but that’s because it would have never crossed my mind. Guess that’s why I keep the phalanx in order and you do the strategy,” they both chuckled before Jason skirted away to go find Demonikos. The brutish Makedonian did not have much about him to like as a person, but he was as tough and resourceful as they come and so made the perfect person for the job Jason had for him. He tasked him with taking a flying column of 2,000 picked Makedonian and Agrianians to slip around the hills and behind the Theban lines.

Perhaps the only people that were better than the Makedonians at hill and mountain fighting were the Agrianians, or at least that was what Perdikkas told him when he sent them down over the winter. If that was true, then these hills should be easy for them to maneuver over. If it wasn’t and they never arrived for the battle, well they weren’t essential to his victory so hopefully that wouldn’t matter.
[/FONT]
-----------------------------------------
[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]12pm[/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Looking out across the field, Jason saddled up on his horse and trotted over to join the [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Agema [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, serif](“that which leads”) on the right flank, his personal cavalry squadron. He felt no need to give a rousing speech. There was no glory in killing fellow Hellenes, and he would rather not have reminded them that was exactly what they were about to do. Instead he assumed the strategoi would be riling up their men well enough. Looking down his lines, he was satisfied to see the whole army had finally set itself into formation, a process started a little over an hour ago. Unlike the Thebans opposite them, they were well rested and hydrated. With that in mind, he gave the signal to advance, the order being passed down the line as 25,000 men advanced in echelon. [/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]As he trotted onwards, Jason wondered how effective his cavalry would be on broken ground. No doubt Pelopidas had neutralizing it in mind when he chose this ground. For what the Thebans lacked in numbers, they certainly made up for in command. [/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Drawing closer to the Theban lines, Jason formulated a plan of attack with his cavalry wing. He observed as the forward line on the right of the echelon clashed with the Theban left. The rest of the infantry line remained quiet. The Thebans on the center and right no doubt wanted to assist their comrades on the left, but the Thessalian soldiers in front of them would exploit any gap that opened up, and then the battle truly would be lost before it started. Jason sympathized with them-standing and watching while the other flank of the army engaged made one feel helpless as to determining the outcome. [/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]That quickly left his mind however as he sprung his plan into action. Ordering his cavalry to gallop further to the right over the broken ground, he stretched his neck to get a view of the Theban cavalry’s movement across from him. True to what he expected, they shadowed his move. He was right to guess they likely had orders to not allow themselves to be outflanked and to screen his cavalry off from the main infantry engagement as best as possible. They were playing right into his hands. [/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Waiting not a moment too long, he bellowed “Reverse! Turn back towards the infantry!” the order resounded across the cavalrymen as they swiftly rounded their horses around back from whence they came, galloping at full speed towards the Theban infantry, Jason leading the way. This was not how he normally was used to leading, but it felt exhilarating as he drew ever closer to his target. Peering behind him, he allowed himself a wide grin as the confused Theban cavalry realized their mistake and raced after him. A little too late, he thought. [/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]As the full weight of the Thessalian cavalry crashed into the flank of the Thebans, the Theban infantry had no idea what had just hit them. A few alert men at the back of the phalanx had the good sense to hightail it back towards the camp when they saw what was barreling down on them, but most were taken completely off guard. For a few brief moments the soldiers bravely tried to maintain their formation, but it was an impossible task, and the flank began to disintegrate. Behind him Jason viewed the rest of his cavalry intercept the Thebans chasing after them, preventing them from salvaging the situation. [/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Then out of the corner of his eye he saw the Agrianians emerging from the Theban camp and racing over the broken terrain. They began to bear down on the Theban right, and it was at that moment that Jason knew victory was certain. Pelopidas must have known it as well, because the Thebans had begun a fighting withdrawal in an attempt to salvage what was left. The withdrawal soon turned into a full on rout however as the Agrianes wreaked havoc from behind, and Jason found himself caught up in the slaughter. Many Thebans began surrendering in droves, but the Sacred Band continued to fight ferociously, only surrendering when a mere 30 were left standing and the rest of the army had either fled, died, or surrendered themselves. [/FONT]

852eCRu.png

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif]Jason scanned the battlefield carnage. He estimated by the look of things that around 1/3 of the Theban army lay dead on the field. Taking a moment to take in the scope of his victory, he then ordered his men to treat the prisoners like their own soldiers, and give them some food and water. Any wounded that could be taken back to the camp and treated, were. He did not want it to be said that he treated fellow Hellenes like barbarians. Among the dead was Pelopidas, a sword thrust to his stomach showing that he had remained facing forward and fighting up front with his men like every commander should. Jason afforded him a proper burial. A victory monument-a permanent one, not the temporary ones that usually marked battle victories-was erected. More than anyone else, Jason recognized the significance of his triumph. [/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua, serif][1] I’ll take this moment to explain the Makedonian command structure under Alexnder and Philip that Jason is using ITTL: A file of 16 men (called lochos. It’s 16 since they usually fought 16 men deep) was commanded by a lochagos in the front rank. The smallest tactical unit was a syntagma of 256 men (so like a unit in Rome Total War). Six syntagma formed a taxis of 1,500 men which was commanded by strategos. Six taxeis is what formed a phalanx, which was commanded by a phalengarch. Thank you Wikipedia. [/FONT]

So....

1. To Thebes!!! (right?)
2. The war wraps up soon afterwards?
3. Jason finally establishes hegemony over Hellas.
4. Jason starts grooming his successor (whoever that might be)
5. Jason also prepares massive invasion of Persia (after Egyptian revolt?)
6. We take a look back at Italia since we last saw it. Plus any changes with Carthage.
7. The Egyptian revolt
8. Alexander's Ragtime Band

Is this about right?

(Also why isn't this popular already?)

So....

1. To Thebes!!! (right?)
2. The war wraps up soon afterwards?
3. Jason finally establishes hegemony over Hellas.
4. Jason starts grooming his successor (whoever that might be)
5. Jason also prepares massive invasion of Persia (after Egyptian revolt?)
6. We take a look back at Italia since we last saw it. Plus any changes with Carthage.
7. The Egyptian revolt
8. Alexander's Ragtime Band

Is this about right?
You'll have to wait and see. ;) I could pull something crazy like having Jason die suddenly with no heir. Or you may be right. Who knows.

(Also why isn't this popular already?)
It's got over 17,000 views so I'm not complaining. :cool: