the day after tomorrow

Has anyone else seen this awesome movie?
So what happens next {ok, this is like alternate-future-history or something}
Does Australia become the most powerful country? Or maybe Mexico? anyone want to try at making a TL?

Is that the one with the submarine captain? Because if it is then wasn't the thing that everyone died at the end?

The one with the submarine captain where everyone dies is "On the Beach."

I really liked "The Day After Tomorrow," though it did get a bit preachy about the Kyoto Accord and has a Dick Cheney-esque character who is in denial for waay too long. However, the special effects sequences were excellent and the story was well-plotted and emotionally involving.

Faeelin

Banned
It's pure and utter scientific silliness, and by making so many flaws in the way science works, actually goes towards discreditting global warming.

I enjoyed it, the science was bad, but what the heck - keep repeatng to yourself, 'it's only a movie, it's only a movie,'

i just saw the movie last night and thought that as a movie it was very good and very well done, i don't agree with the sceince as well, but at lest they try to explain things like the Mammoth being flash frozen. it's a long way from the "Waterworld" idea of the world being flooded.

the only seniro that i could think of is that they have more active volcanios do to earthquakes or something causing the more greenhouse gases to be released naturaly causing the Iceshelf to break off and fall into the ocean. though of course they think it's humans causing it.
The US still has it's southern Infratructure though in shambles plus could develop ways to get by all the snow and down into resources...Large tents over cities like Chicago and NY and DC to keep some of the cold and and heat in...

what happened to all europeans? Did we all die? Somehow i dont belive that Spain and Italy would froze. They are to close to the equatorian hadley cell

mattep74 said:
what happened to all europeans? Did we all die? Somehow i dont belive that Spain and Italy would froze. They are to close to the equatorian hadley cell

It's a Hollywood movie- only people in America count. ;)

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Norman said:
I enjoyed it, the science was bad, but what the heck - keep repeatng to yourself, 'it's only a movie, it's only a movie,'

Yeh, but c'mon, this is a really political movie and its VERY misleading. There's no real reason to do this scenario to have these FX, there are lots of things that could do this in reality.

So I can assume that those opposed to scientific silliness will also shun "Spiderman II" and the latest Harry Potter film? :D

Although it would be nice for Hollywood to make a global disaster movie without destroying the Statue of Liberty... :(

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Harry Potter is actually quite consistent, given its rationale. Spider-man is a man-superman thing where the "science" is just a story device. In DAT the "science" is trying to BE the story, and scare the crap out of people besides.

And I'll bet they're shooting the sequel now. :rolleyes:

Valamyr

Banned
Nice concept, but too americano-centrist, botched by hollywood. Would it have been so difficult to see what happened across the world? Anyone didnt have to massively suspend disbelief for the ending? Steel doors freeze yet dozens survive all over New York? A frozen nation of refugees still behaving like a great power, haggling over debts and conducting massive rescue operations? The President being flown out last? Please. :rolleyes:

Science a bit flawed but hey. We dont know everything about nature yet.

As for being political, well, honestly, we dont need movies to tell us that people who oppose something as basic and essential as Kyoto should consider the alternative of stopping to use our oxygen, in order to become part of the solution. :p

Last edited:
Lattitude of Spain and Italy

mattep74 said:
Spain is at the same lattitude as the Middle Atlantic states of America. Spain is warmer than New York because they have the warm North Atlantic to windward and because they are also on the Mediterranean. The North Atlantic is warm because warm water is less dense than cold water, so it floats north to displace sinking cold water from the Arctic. The Mediterranean is warm because the cold water has a hard time getting in because the entrance to the Mediterranean is higher than the level of the cold botom water from the ocean.
If the Arctic gets fresher because of meltwater, then the fresh water will not sink no matter how cold it gets because it is still less dense than seawater, even if the seawater is warm. The Gulf stream is part of this world circling cycle called the Conveyor Belt.
There is also some effect from winds that blow from the south as the Corriolis force sends air to the east, and as the mountains and weather cylces make the winds wiggle north and south, transferring heat. The Hadley cells that rise from the equator and fall to the north and create deserts also pump heat to the north. They are not affected by the salinity of seawater.
There have been periods when it got very cold around the Mediterranean. The weather could change to make Spain colder, and also moister. This would be bad for tourism and good for farmers. It would not be good for the nonmediterranean Europeans, most of whom would starve to death. But then, the Arabs would have lots of rain and woudl presumably be able to grow enough food for the Europeans to buy that no one would actually starve. Unless the Arabs started the Organisation of Potato Exporting Countries.

Faeelin said:
It's pure and utter scientific silliness, and by making so many flaws in the way science works, actually goes towards discreditting global warming.

I agree completely.
Such unbelievable bullshit seems the work of some oil corporation CEO, rather than pro-Kyoto propaganda.

basileus said:
I agree completely.
Such unbelievable bullshit seems the work of some oil corporation CEO, rather than pro-Kyoto propaganda.
Well, that explains why it was Fox that made the movie... :D

Of course, its based off a book, which was written by liberals, I believe...

Valamyr said:
As for being political, well, honestly, we dont need movies to tell us that people who oppose something as basic and essential as Kyoto should consider the alternative of stopping to use our oxygen, in order to become part of the solution. :p
Gee, thanks. Ever consider that we who oppose Kyoto do have some legitimate points? Or do you like saying that we should die just for having an un-PC opinion?

Day After Tomorrow

You wouldn't pay me 2 cents to see this film. IT IS not because of the Subject matter. Emmerich has screwed up Godzilla(Landshark?) and has palagarized 2 Other films for this film: Tidal wave right out of DEEP IMPACT and Frozen Manhatten from A.I. Independence day was WAR OF THE Worlds without acknowledgment: The bomb lauched from the B-2(like the YB-49 in the other film. Computer virus that attacks the mother ship is a working of the ORIGINAL biological virus. Dont Mention STAR WARS. Lucas admitted where he got his sources. Emmerich did not. :(

ED(Mister) said:
You wouldn't pay me 2 cents to see this film. IT IS not because of the Subject matter. Emmerich has screwed up Godzilla(Landshark?) and has palagarized 2 Other films for this film: Tidal wave right out of DEEP IMPACT and Frozen Manhatten from A.I. Independence day was WAR OF THE Worlds without acknowledgment: The bomb lauched from the B-2(like the YB-49 in the other film. Computer virus that attacks the mother ship is a working of the ORIGINAL biological virus. Dont Mention STAR WARS. Lucas admitted where he got his sources. Emmerich did not. :(

I too, did not rush out to see this movie mainly because of what Emmerich did to Godzilla...and I too couldn't get past the ads showing the AI-like frozen manhattan. His movies have gotten progressively worse since Star Gate. I liked ID4 however - its only similarityto the George Pal War of the Worlds other than the basic "aliens attack earth" theme is the use of flying wings to launch the nuke - which I thoughtwas more of an homage than anything. Plus, why even defend the Pal WOTW? It was a horrible and unimaginative modernization of the Wells book.

Anyway, I'll probably see the Day After Tomorrow eventually just to see the special effects...but only after I've seen Shrek 2 several more times!

ID4 - Big monument destroying alien ships
The Day After Tommorow - Big monument destroying storms

This formula seems to be working well for Emmerich doesnt it :D