the day after tomorrow

zoomar said:
Jesse, since you seem perfectly comfortable questioning Torquemada's understanding of basic scientific theory, could you please enlighten us as to your own formal training in climatology?

I already pointed out in an earlier post that I have no particular expertise in this area:

It doesn't sound to me like you've studied the theory or the evidence used to support it in any great detail (I haven't either), so maybe it would be better to withold judgement. And whenever there's a strong consensus among scientists about something, my default assumption is that they probably know what they're talking about--I don't really know much about the evidence used to support quantum field theory either, but I assume there's something to it.

But it does not take any particular expertise to recognize that attempts to discredit established scientific theories with simple one-liners inevitably ignore the fact that these scientists are not idiots and will already have some answers to this objection (even if a more detailed critique might point out flaws in their answers). If someone with expert training in the ozone issue wrote a detailed technical critique of the evidence used to support the idea that ozone was being depleted, showing why the usual answers to such criticisms are insufficient, I'd be willing to listen. But Torqumada's argument was nothing more than "it has been found that despite an almost constant level of CFCs in the atmosphere world wide the hole changes size", which glosses over the fact that the level of CFCs has not been found to be constant (he says 'almost', but gives no indication of what amount of change in CFCs he thinks would be sufficient to cause the change in ozone levels that has been observed, and how he arrived at the conclusion that the actual amount of change is too low), and also seems to ignore the fact that it's possible to see long-term trends in a quantity like ozone or temperature even if there is a fair amount of short-term variation (the fact that the annual high and low temperatures vary from year to year doesn't mean we can't spot a longer-term warming trend over the last century, for example).

Paul Spring said:
Remember, 1000 years ago the earth was actually warmer than it is now. That's why they had vineyards in England and the Vikings could sail to Iceland and Greenland with little threat from pack ice or icebergs. In the 14th - 17th centuries the temperature dropped severely (the "Little Ice Age"), and then it started to get warmer again.

Although it's true that Europe warmed up in this period, most climatologists would disagree with the claim the the global temperature was warmer than than it is now. If you look at the graph of temperature over the last 1000 yeas, based on tree ring and ice core data, it's clear that according to that reconstruction, the current temperature is much warmer than it was in the medieval warm period. The article where that graph comes from (in the Paleoclimatology section of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration website) talks more about this issue:

Norse seafaring and colonization around the North Atlantic at the end of the 9th century was generalized as proof that the global climate then was warmer than today. In the early days of paleoclimatology, the sparsely distributed paleoenvironmental records were interpreted to indicate that there was a "Medieval Warm Period" where temperatures were warmer than today ... The idea of a global or hemispheric "Medieval Warm Period" that was warmer than today however, has turned out to be incorrect.

For larger viewing version of graph, please click here or on image.

There are not enough records available to reconstruct global or even hemispheric mean temperature prior to about 600 years ago with a high degree of confidence. What records that do exist show that there was no multi-century periods when global or hemispheric temperatures were the same or warmer than in the 20th century. For example, Mann et al. (1999) generated a 1,000 year Northern Hemisphere temperature reconstruction (shown above) using data from multiple ice cores and tree ring records. This reconstruction suggests that the 1998 annual average temperature was more than two standard deviations warmer than any annual average temperature value since AD 1,000 (shown in yellow). (For complete scientific reference of this study, please click here. Link to Mann 1999 FTP Data.)

In summary, it appears that the 20th century, and in particular the late 20th century, is likely the warmest the Earth has seen in at least 1200 years. To learn more about the so-called "Medieval Warm Period", please read this review published in Climatic Change, written by M.K. Hughes and H.F. Diaz. (For complete review reference click here.)

There was a paper published recently by two scientists named Baliunas and Soon (both of whom are paid consultants for the George T. Marshall Institute, a non-profit organization which opposes limits on carbon dioxide emissions) which got a lot of publicity for the claim that the medieval warm period was warmer than today, but most other scientists strongly disagreed with their use of data and statistics:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa004&articleID=000829C7-70D9-1EF7-A6B8809EC588EEDF

In contrast, the consensus view among paleoclimatologists is that the Medieval Warming Period was a regional phenomenon, that the worldwide nature of the Little Ice Age is open to question and that the late 20th century saw the most extreme global average temperatures.

Scientists skeptical of human-induced warming applaud the analysis by Soon and Baliunas. "It has been painstaking and meticulous," says William Kininmonth, a meteorological consultant in Kew, Australia, and former head of the Australian National Climate Center. But he acknowledges that "from a purely statistical viewpoint, the work can be criticized."

And that criticism, from many scientists who feel that Soon and Baliunas produced deeply flawed work, has been unusually strident. "The fact that it has received any attention at all is a result, again in my view, of its utility to those groups who want the global warming issue to just go away," comments Tim Barnett, a marine physicist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, whose work Soon and Baliunas refer to. Similar sentiments came from Malcolm Hughes of the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research at the University of Arizona, whose work is also discussed: "The Soon et al. paper is so fundamentally misconceived and contains so many egregious errors that it would take weeks to list and explain them all."

The most significant criticism is that Soon and Baliunas do not present their data quantitatively--instead they merely categorize the work of others primarily into one of two sets: either supporting or not supporting their particular definitions of a Medieval Warming Period or Little Ice Age. "I was stating outright that I'm not able to give too many quantitative details, especially in terms of aggregating all the results," Soon says.

Specifically, they define a "climatic anomaly" as a period of 50 or more years of wetness or dryness or sustained warmth (or, for the Little Ice Age, coolness). The problem is that under this broad definition a wet or dry spell would indicate a climatic anomaly even if the temperature remained perfectly constant. Soon and Baliunas are "mindful" that the Medieval Warming Period and the Little Ice Age should be defined by temperature, but "we emphasize that great bias would result if those thermal anomalies were to be dissociated" from other climatic conditions. (Asked to define "wetness" and "dryness," Soon and Baliunas say only that they "referred to the standard usage in English.")

Moreover, their results were nonsynchronous: "Their analysis doesn't consider whether the warm/cold periods occurred at the same time," says Peter Stott, a climate scientist at the U.K.'s Hadley Center for Climate Prediction and Research in Bracknell. For example, if a proxy record indicated that a drier condition existed in one part of the world from 800 to 850, it would be counted as equal evidence for a Medieval Warming Period as a different proxy record that showed wetter conditions in another part of the world from 1250 to 1300. Regional conditions do not necessarily mirror the global average, Stott notes: "Iceland and Greenland had their warmest periods in the 1930s, whereas the warmest for the globe was the 1990s."

The Editor-in-Chief of Climate Research (along with two other editors) actually resigned over this paper, saying that "the review process had utterly failed" and wanting to publish an editorial to that effect, which the publisher vetoed--you can read about this here and here.

Jesse, you didn't address the other graph that showed a ccyle to temperature rise, CO2 levels and Methane levels over the last 420,000 years. That graph shows the cycle that I am speaking of. Now you point to the 1000 year temperature cycle as proof of Global warming. I am sorry, but 1000 years of data points is not statistically significant on a planet that has an accepted age of 4.55 billion years old (that is 4.55 x 10 to the 9th power years old) That is only .000000022 % of the entire climatological history of this planet. Every statistician and scientist will tell you that those data points can't be consider statistically significant. Even the other graph of 420,000 years only covers .000092% of the Earth's climatological hisotry, but that is still 4,181 times larger than the 100 years of temeperature readings you listed. Good sicence requires good data that is significant to the study. That is the current problem ,we don't have enough dataand are only making to what amounts as guesses.

Regarding the ozone layer hole, after further research it appears that I am wrong. There is a good reason for the hole changing in size due to ambient weather patterns. There has to be set condtions for the depletion to start. The Ozone Hole was in fact, at its largest diamter last year, instead of shrinking, though it didn't appear in 2002. Thats right it was at its largest diameter last year, when CFC levels were at their smallest level since the hole was found. Now if CFCs are responsible for the hole in the ozone layer, how can there be less CFCs in the atmosphere, but a larger hole? Jesse? See this page for relevant information: http://www.atmosphere.mpg.de/enid/1z2.html

Remember that big ice shelf I mentioned in my earlier posts and how the more rabid memebers of the Global Warming camp were crying "Global warming in action!"? I stated that there may be another reason, but that many of the Global Warming scientists were not gathering evidence, but fitting the event into the Global Warming theory. Now, some good scientist, who also happen to be proponents of the Global Warming theory decided to go down to the Antartic and see what was going on. This is good science. They got close to the mystery to find out what was going on. Does anyoone know what they found? A VOLCANO! Thats right, a seismic event. There was an unknown volcano near the ice shelf that is making the water in that area warmer, not global warming. Those scientist did the right thing. They went down there to collect the data, instead of looking at a picture and saying it was proof. Now, if they had gone down there, found the warter warmer than expected and found no discernable cause, it could add weight to the Global warming theory. Here is the relevant data: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/05/040527235943.htm

Again, I ahve no doubts that the planet is warming. The data clearly shows that there is a cycle of an increase in temperature, Methane and CO2 levels. Humans have probably added slightly too that. According to the graph you posted, the current CO2 concentrations are 365ppm, but at aprroximately 325,000 years ago, they appear to be almost as high. Why? Man wasn't around at that time,so what cuased that high level? Man has added a little, but the cycle is unchanged. To be honest, short of a nuclear winter, I don't think man can change the climate on a global scale. We can sure screw things up locally, but I think the planet is just going to do what it wants, regardless of what we do. Cleaner water and air are goals we should all work towards, I don't advocate hiding our head sin teh sand either. I just want us to look at the data rationally, not with preconceived ideas of what the evidence means.

Torqumada

Jesse said:
I already pointed out in an earlier post that I have no particular expertise in this area:

But it does not take any particular expertise to recognize that attempts to discredit established scientific theories with simple one-liners inevitably ignore the fact that these scientists are not idiots and will already have some answers to this objection (even if a more detailed critique might point out flaws in their answers). If someone with expert training in the ozone issue wrote a detailed technical critique of the evidence used to support the idea that ozone was being depleted, showing why the usual answers to such criticisms are insufficient, I'd be willing to listen. But Torqumada's argument was nothing more than "it has been found that despite an almost constant level of CFCs in the atmosphere world wide the hole changes size", which glosses over the fact that the level of CFCs has not been found to be constant (he says 'almost', but gives no indication of what amount of change in CFCs he thinks would be sufficient to cause the change in ozone levels that has been observed, and how he arrived at the conclusion that the actual amount of change is too low), and also seems to ignore the fact that it's possible to see long-term trends in a quantity like ozone or temperature even if there is a fair amount of short-term variation (the fact that the annual high and low temperatures vary from year to year doesn't mean we can't spot a longer-term warming trend over the last century, for example).

Sorry, I missed your admission. When I read this thread, I see both you and Torq essentially referring to the scientific literature to support views which you probably hold more on philosophical/moral grounds. The fact is that, while the majority of climatologists support the traditional model of global warming, there are some who do not. Take this as paranoia if you will but in my field (anthropology/archaeology), once a "consensus" is reached in science, serious scholars who present serious arguments and data against that consensus are often treated as cranks and not given due respect - forcing them to seek alternative outlets for publishing their studies and data - or they don't publish at all. This even further marginalizes them and creates the impression of scientific unaniminity when it in fact doesn't exist.

No doubt there is a strong "official" consensus supporting a significant human role in global warming among nationally and internationally reknown climatologists and research establishments - and these are the opinions which get media attention. However, when you talk to professional people lower down on the scientific food chain (like the Georgia Climatologist cited earlier) you begin to see some skepticism about the consensus. This skepticism is generally unknown, ignored or glossed over by the popular media (outlets like Scientific American, Nature, National Geographic,and Discovery, etc) because they have long ago accpeted the environmentalist view on Kyoto and global warming.

That the point I have been trying to make Zoomar, though I am not sure how successful I have been at it.

In any system of learning, there are established "Truths". Those "Truths" are sacrosanct. Anyone questioning them is a heretic. In relgion they are burned at the stake. In science, they lose grants for research and are ostracized from the mainstream. Remember the theory that the Earth was the center of the universe? When it was challenged the establishment at the time came down heavy on those that callenged the "Truth." I think Zoomar can think of some in his field, like the existence of Troy, Soddam or Gamorrah. Those were not considered real places and the people who knew the "Truth" called those who didn't crackpots or worse, until someone dug them up. Global Warming is the accepted "Truth" in climatology right now. Some of its proponents will twist the evidence to fir the "Truth". Anyone who offers a different analysis of the evidence is wrong or has an agenda, not like the Global warming people dont' have one either. Their character and qualifications get questioned. I have seen it happen. How dare they question the "Truth"! Science should be above that. Leave the finding of the "Truth" to theologians and phiolosophers.

torqumada

Torqumada said:
Jesse, you didn't address the other graph that showed a ccyle to temperature rise, CO2 levels and Methane levels over the last 420,000 years. That graph shows the cycle that I am speaking of. Now you point to the 1000 year temperature cycle as proof of Global warming.

My answer did address the 420,000-year graph, and nowhere did I point to the 1000 year graph as "proof" of global warming:

Well, the first graph shows the temperature upswing of the last century is unprecented in the last 1000 years, and the second graph shows the current carbon dioxide levels are much higher than they've been for the last 400,000 years (and I think it's pretty easy to show that the amount of carbon dioxide released by human activities is the main source of increased CO2).

I then asked the following questions:

Do you doubt that humans are the main cause of the sharp increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in the last century? Do you doubt that there is an association between carbon dioxide and global temperature?

What are your answers?

Torqumada said:
I am sorry, but 1000 years of data points is not statistically significant on a planet that has an accepted age of 4.55 billion years old (that is 4.55 x 10 to the 9th power years old) That is only .000000022 % of the entire climatological history of this planet. Every statistician and scientist will tell you that those data points can't be consider statistically significant.

But "statistics" doesn't demand a complete history of a phenomenon to infer causal relationships, it just demands a statistically significant number of data points. Radioactive decay has been going on since the earth was formed, yet we have only begun to measure it in the last century; by your logic, physicists therefore have no justification for saying anything about the laws governing radioactive decay. Likewise, people have been smoking for thouasands of years, but we only have data on the relationship between smoking and lung cancer for the last century or so, yet this doesn't stop us from coming to some strong conclusions on the causal relationship between the two. The data above shows a strong link between global temperature and greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide for a statistically significant number of data points over the last half a million years or so; of course one must be careful not to mistake correlation for causation (there could be some other factor driving both temperature and CO2 levels), but I believe there are also plenty of physical arguments as to why greenhouse gases should have a significant effect on temperature.

Torqumada said:
Regarding the ozone layer hole, after further research it appears that I am wrong. There is a good reason for the hole changing in size due to ambient weather patterns. There has to be set condtions for the depletion to start. The Ozone Hole was in fact, at its largest diamter last year, instead of shrinking, though it didn't appear in 2002. Thats right it was at its largest diameter last year, when CFC levels were at their smallest level since the hole was found. Now if CFCs are responsible for the hole in the ozone layer, how can there be less CFCs in the atmosphere, but a larger hole?

As I said, I don't know, but the main point is that I think we can be pretty certain that scientists have some arguments as to why this is compatible with the CFC theory (perhaps there's a time lag in terms of how long it takes for new ozone to be produced even after CFC levels are dropped), so any credible critique of the theory must at least take these arguments into account and show why they fall short. An uninformed critique that can't even anticipate how defenders of the theory would respond is of little value; maybe it'd be hard to explain the failure of the hole to shrink and maybe it'd be easy (just like you now apparently say it is easy to explain annual changes due to ambient weather patterns, although you presented this as a serious problem earlier), I don't know and neither do you.

Torqumada said:
Remember that big ice shelf I mentioned in my earlier posts and how the more rabid memebers of the Global Warming camp were crying "Global warming in action!"?

Who were these "more rabid members", exactly? Were real scientists claiming with a high degree of confidence that it was definitely an effect of global warming, or are you just talking about environmental activists? As you said, it was real scientists who also happened to be global warming advocates who discovered the volcano in this case.

Torqumada said:
Again, I ahve no doubts that the planet is warming. The data clearly shows that there is a cycle of an increase in temperature, Methane and CO2 levels. Humans have probably added slightly too that. According to the graph you posted, the current CO2 concentrations are 365ppm, but at aprroximately 325,000 years ago, they appear to be almost as high.

The graph shows that for the last 420,000 years CO2 levels never got higher than about 300 ppm, which I would not call "almost as high" as 365 ppm--that's about 20% higher than the highest levels its ever been over the last half a million years or so, and from the looks of things about 50% higher than the average levels. What's more, just based on the known amount of CO2 released by human activities, I don't think it's disputed even by most global warming skeptics that the main cause of this sudden upswing in CO2 is human-caused (if nothing else, it would be a pretty huge coincidence that this upswing coincided so precisely with industrialization, if it was a natural phenomenon that was just as likely to occur in any of the 420 centuries covered by the graph). Are you indeed arguing that there's a significant chance the change in carbon dioxide is primarily due to some other cause?

Last edited:
Evidence for this bias can also be seen in how outlets like Scientific American and Science handle the situations when they do publish articles opposing the mainstream consensus (which they do). Rather than just putting them in print sans comment, they almost always arrange for rebuttal articles or critical reviews by the establishment side in the same issue - or include in their issue introduction a statement that the views are controversial or not widely accepted. This is strong disincentive for a young, upcoming, researcher to submit controversial artcles and is not how they handle the vast majority of arcticles they publish which represent mainstream views. You see this in professional journals as well - and sometimes this is even more nasty. Witness how the American Anthropological Society handled a recent scholarly book very critical of Margaret Mead and her research methods.

Jesse said:
My answer did address the 420,000-year graph, and nowhere did I point to the 1000 year graph as "proof" of global warming:

I then asked the following questions:

What are your answers?

Jesse said:
But "statistics" doesn't demand a complete history of a phenomenon to infer causal relationships, it just demands a statistically significant number of data points. Radioactive decay has been going on since the earth was formed, yet we have only begun to measure it in the last century; by your logic, physicists therefore have no justification for saying anything about the laws governing radioactive decay. Likewise, people have been smoking for thouasands of years, but we only have data on the relationship between smoking and lung cancer for the last century or so, yet this doesn't stop us from coming to some strong conclusions on the causal relationship between the two. The data above shows a strong link between global temperature and greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide for a statistically significant number of data points over the last half a million years or so; of course one must be careful not to mistake correlation for causation (there could be some other factor driving both temperature and CO2 levels), but I believe there are also plenty of physical arguments as to why greenhouse gases should have a significant effect on temperature.

You're right statistics doesn't require an exhaustive sampling of each possible data point to be complete. However, you must have enough data points to be statisically significant. 1000 data points in 4.55 billion is not statistically significant. Its like polling one person in the United States, lets say Mike Collins, and asking them who will you vote for in the next election and then reporting the Bush will win by an unprecented land slide of 100% of the electoral votes (the ratio is roughly the same). In that case, the period of time is the deciding factor since you are measuring an event over a period of time. If your period of time is too short, then your data points won't be significantly accurate. In regards to smoking, you don't have to worry about time, since millions of people die or are effected by lung cancer from smoking every year. Those are your data points in that case, the number of poeple with lung cancer vs the number of people with lung cancer that smoke vs the number of people with lung cancer that don't smoke. As an example, if you have 1 million people that are getting lung cancer every year, and say 70% of them smoke and 30% that don't and you poll that for 10 years, that is 10 million data points. That is enough data points to say that something is going on.

Jesse said:
As I said, I don't know, but the main point is that I think we can be pretty certain that scientists have some arguments as to why this is compatible with the CFC theory (perhaps there's a time lag in terms of how long it takes for new ozone to be produced even after CFC levels are dropped), so any credible critique of the theory must at least take these arguments into account and show why they fall short. An uninformed critique that can't even anticipate how defenders of the theory would respond is of little value; maybe it'd be hard to explain the failure of the hole to shrink and maybe it'd be easy (just like you now apparently say it is easy to explain annual changes due to ambient weather patterns, although you presented this as a serious problem earlier), I don't know and neither do you.

Did you read the website I posted? That is where the information came from on how the "local" (local in quotes because we are talking about a weather pattern over the entire Antarctic) weather effects the ability of the Ozone hole to form. Did you think I just made this up of the top of my head? As i said, I was wrong on that theory.

Jesse said:
Who were these "more rabid members", exactly? Were real scientists claiming with a high degree of confidence that it was definitely an effect of global warming, or are you just talking about environmental activists? As you said, it was real scientists who also happened to be global warming advocates who discovered the volcano in this case.

I remember quite clearly on several television and radio news programs that Scientists (or at least people with PhD after their name) were talking about the collapse of the Ice shelf as a result of Global warming. I am sorry that I didn't record those for posterity and get their names. I can't be sure the following people were not one of those experts giving the interviews on said programs, but they were advocating Global warming as the culprit: Tim Naish of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear sciences, Ted Scambos, of the National Snow and Ice Data Center at the University of Colorado, Christina Hulbe of Portland State University, Mark Fahnestock (University of Maryland, College Park, MD) are some of the ones that have reported ont he event.

Jesse said:
The graph shows that for the last 420,000 years CO2 levels never got higher than about 300 ppm, which I would not call "almost as high" as 365 ppm--that's about 20% higher than the highest levels its ever been over the last half a million years or so, and from the looks of things about 50% higher than the average levels. What's more, just based on the known amount of CO2 released by human activities, I don't think it's disputed even by most global warming skeptics that the main cause of this sudden upswing in CO2 is human-caused (if nothing else, it would be a pretty huge coincidence that this upswing coincided so precisely with industrialization, if it was a natural phenomenon that was just as likely to occur in any of the 420 centuries covered by the graph). Are you indeed arguing that there's a significant chance the change in carbon dioxide is primarily due to some other cause?

The picture is a bit blurry for me, maybe the resolution dropped. I went looking for the original and cannot find it at the site you indicated. Which figure is it please? Some of the data points appear to go above 300 ppm on the CO2, but I want to be sure on that. As for other sources of CO2 on this planet and the reason for its rise, I can think of a couple of natural sources, that provide the majority of the CO2 in the atmosphere anyway.
1) Volcanic gases. There have been several large volcanic releases and many small low key eruptions (more like leaks in terms of volcanoes I guess) in the last 200 years or so: St Helens, Pinatubo, Krakatoa, Vesuvius, the one in Iceland I can't remember, downtown LA (if you can believe Hollywood. :p ) as well as others like those in Hawaii that are low key. I am not sure if there has been a relative upswing in activity to account for this but its a possibility.
2)Earthquales also can release lots of gases trapped in the Earth crust. If these events take place in an area that can't be easily observed, like the ocean floor, and CO2 can be relased without us seeing it.
3) Inhibtion of the ocean from absorping CO2 like its supposed to. Maybe there is a threshhold to how much the ocean can absorp. Once it reaches that limit CO2 begins to build up in the atmosphere, until the temperature rises, causing an explosion in the growth of plants, both terrestrial and aquatic that can once again absorp the excess CO2 and start the cycle over again. Maybe there are cycles to the algal and protozoan populations that last 125,000 years or so to account for this.
4) Everyone breathing my air! (thats a joke. this is a firendly debate after all. :p )
5) Earth passing through an interstellar cloud of gases, composed primarily of CO2 and metthane, causing it to seed the atmosphere with excess that the eco-system then has to deal with. (Least likely, but plausible)
6) This one might be a bit circular one or at least a positive reinforcement system. If the amount of solar radiation has increased, causing temps to increase, then the melting ice of the Arctic and Antarctic of the Earth, could release trapped CO2 during the melting process, increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
As I have said before, I have no doubts that humans have added to the CO2 levels, I jsut don't think its a primary cause of Global warming. I think its a natural part of Earth's climatologicla cycle and we just happen to have the technology and knowledge to witness it at this time.

Torqumada

I still wonder why nobody didn't set off a nuclear weapon in the middle of one of the super-storms. That would certainly solve the problem, but then the long-term effects might be difficult.

Matt Quinn said:
I still wonder why nobody didn't set off a nuclear weapon in the middle of one of the super-storms. That would certainly solve the problem, but then the long-term effects might be difficult.

A mature Hurricane contains and releases an incredible amount of energy. Depending on how you calculate that energy is can be anywhere from 1/2 of the total electrical generation for the world (using cloud and rain formation) or 200 times the total electrical generation for the world, using total kinetic energy generated. Guessing from the previews, those superstorms were more powerful that any hurricane ever seen before. As such, a nuclear weapon wouldn't be able to dissapate one. See this website for information:http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D7.html

Torqumada

Torqumada said:
You're right statistics doesn't require an exhaustive sampling of each possible data point to be complete. However, you must have enough data points to be statisically significant. 1000 data points in 4.55 billion is not statistically significant.

No, you are misunderstanding how "statistical significance" works. Only the absolute number of data points determines the statistical significance, the fraction (number of data points)/(number of all possible data points) is completely irrelevant. I already gave some examples showing why your interpretation makes no sense in my last post:

Jesse said:
Radioactive decay has been going on since the earth was formed, yet we have only begun to measure it in the last century; by your logic, physicists therefore have no justification for saying anything about the laws governing radioactive decay. Likewise, people have been smoking for thouasands of years, but we only have data on the relationship between smoking and lung cancer for the last century or so, yet this doesn't stop us from coming to some strong conclusions on the causal relationship between the two.

Likewise, to deal with your own example:

Torqumada said:
Its like polling one person in the United States, lets say Mike Collins, and asking them who will you vote for in the next election and then reporting the Bush will win by an unprecented land slide of 100% of the electoral votes (the ratio is roughly the same).

The reason that would be a bad poll is because the absolute number of people polled is too low. But again, the fraction (number of people polled)/(total number of voters) is irrelevant to the statistical significance. If I polled 100,000 people about the upcoming election, the statistical significance of this result would be the same regardless if I wanted to predict an election for governor of Kentucky, with about 2.5 million registered voters, or an election for Supreme Emperor of the Andromeda Galaxy, with 70 trillion registered voters.

Torqumada said:
In that case, the period of time is the deciding factor since you are measuring an event over a period of time. If your period of time is too short, then your data points won't be significantly accurate. In regards to smoking, you don't have to worry about time, since millions of people die or are effected by lung cancer from smoking every year. Those are your data points in that case, the number of poeple with lung cancer vs the number of people with lung cancer that smoke vs the number of people with lung cancer that don't smoke. As an example, if you have 1 million people that are getting lung cancer every year, and say 70% of them smoke and 30% that don't and you poll that for 10 years, that is 10 million data points. That is enough data points to say that something is going on.

I agree that time has to be considered in some cases, although not for the reason you give. Time is a factor when you believe the relationship between different variables is likely to be changing over time. The relationship between lung cancer and tobacco smoking is a matter of biology, and probably has not changed much over the centuries, so it's not really necessary to have data points from all centuries. On the other hand, if you wanted to study the relationship between nutrition and growth rates, if all your data points came from three-year-olds it would not be legitimate to assume the relationships found would hold for people of all ages (for example, adults basically won't grow or shrink at all, regardless of how they eat).

So, it might not be legitimate to say the relationship between carbon dioxide and temperature observed for the last 400,000 years is certain to work the same way 10 million years from now. But it seems to me that generalizing results found over a certain time period to the same time period is perfectly legitimate. For example, suppose I study the relationship between exercise and muscle growth for a group of men for a period of 4000 days, or about 11 years. Suppose all these men all have the same birthday, were all aged 25 at the start of the study, and the study ended right on their 36th birthday. Since I only studied a particular age group, it would clearly not be legitimate to generalize whatever results I found to 10-year-olds, or to 80-year-olds. However, I think it would be perfectly legitimate to generalize the result to men aged 36-and-one-day. Although it's possible men go through growth changes which alter the relationship between exercise and muscle growth overnight, if I didn't see any such changes in the dates of my study and I have no prior reason to think there's anything special about the dates I picked, it would be unreasonable to estimate the probability of such a change happening the day after the study ended as much higher than 1/4000. Similarly, although it might be possible to imagine the earth going through sudden phase transitions which alter the relationship between carbon dioxide and temperature, if you assume such phase transitions have nothing to do with human activities, the chances of one coincidentally happening in the same century as our massive industrial buildup and altering the regular relationship seen in the last 4200 centuries should not be much greater than 1/4200. Of course one could argue that such a change might happen for non-coincidental reasons, ie that human activities would actually cause such a transition, but then we'd be back to the idea of humans causing serious changes to the climate, even if not in the way that climate scientists usually imagine.

In reality it's not actually true that climate scientists base their belief in the relationship between carbon dioxide and temperature on nothing but statistical analyses--as I understand it there are a lot of other reasons involving things like lab experiments on the properties of carbon dioxide, observations of the atmosphere of Venus which is rich in greenhouse gases (Venus has the hottest surface of any planet, despite being further from the Sun than Mercury), computer models, theoretical analyses, etc. But my point is that even if we rely on nothing but statistical relationships, your argument that a sample of data points from the last 420,000 years is not enough to draw any conclusions doesn't really make any sense.

Jesse said:

Torqumada said:
Did you read the website I posted? That is where the information came from on how the "local" (local in quotes because we are talking about a weather pattern over the entire Antarctic) weather effects the ability of the Ozone hole to form. Did you think I just made this up of the top of my head? As i said, I was wrong on that theory.

I think you're missing my point, I never accused you of making it up off the top of your head, in fact that would go against my whole argument. My argument, again, is that it's a waste of time when people try to discredit established scientific theories with simple one-line arguments without even bothering to do any research into how scientists would respond to these arguments, since it is extremely unlikely that the scientists will have just completely failed to have noticed a devastating critique of their theory. You proved my point when you first made the simple argument about the size of the hole changing over the year, then actually did some research and found that this observation is easy to explain, and does not actually discredit the CFC/ozone hole theory at all. What I'm saying is that the same is likely true of your argument "the hole hasn't shrunk even though CFC levels have gone down, therefore the hole cannot be caused by CFCs"--if you actually did some research on how scientists explain the failure of the hole to immediately shrink, I'd be willing to bet a large sum that they aren't completely stumped by this observation. I speculated on one possibility in my last post when I said "perhaps there's a time lag in terms of how long it takes for new ozone to be produced even after CFC levels are dropped". Another possibility might be that although CFC levels are dropping, they are dropping so slowly that we wouldn't necessarily expect to see a significant effect on the size of the hole--this might be suggested by a quote on p. 237 of The Earth's Biosphere, where the author writes:

Although the long atmospheric lifetime of CFCs means that the stratospheric effect will be felt for decades to come, atmospheric concentration of these compounds have been falling since 1994 (Hall et al. 2001), and the stratosphere may return to its pre-CFC composition before 2050.

And I also found this article which says that although the hole's size did drop to its lowest size in a decade in 2002, the size increased again last year, and that the size in any given year depends a lot on meteorological conditions that year:

A single molecule of chlorine can degrade more than 100,000 molecules of ozone. And there are large amounts of them in the air – largely stored within intermediate and inactive 'reservoir' compounds, but activated by particular meteorological conditions, notably those found above the South Pole in winter.

Small ozone holes have also been known to form over the Arctic, but meteorological conditions there prevent the stratospheric temperature dropping enough to cause thinning on an Antarctic scale. The small size of the 2002 Antarctic ozone hole was due to the same reason – unusual wind patterns and warm weather prevented more ice cloud formation. But this year’s measurements show there is little room for complacency on this issue.

“Since the end of the 1990s, there is experimental evidence that the total chlorine loading in the stratosphere is decreasing, but this is a slow process,†observed Dominique Fonteyn of BIRA-IASB. “Superimposed on this is the meteorological variability which this year still allows sufficient chlorine activation over a large area and for a longer period than last year.â€
(emphasis mine)

So again, I don't know enough about this issue to give much of an answer, but these quotes suggest to me that scientists do have some understanding of why the hole has a given size in any given year, and that it was never expected that curtailing CFC emissions would cause an immediate dramatic reduction in its size.

Jesse said:

Torqumada said:
I remember quite clearly on several television and radio news programs that Scientists (or at least people with PhD after their name) were talking about the collapse of the Ice shelf as a result of Global warming. I am sorry that I didn't record those for posterity and get their names. I can't be sure the following people were not one of those experts giving the interviews on said programs, but they were advocating Global warming as the culprit: Tim Naish of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear sciences, Ted Scambos, of the National Snow and Ice Data Center at the University of Colorado, Christina Hulbe of Portland State University, Mark Fahnestock (University of Maryland, College Park, MD) are some of the ones that have reported ont he event.

Fair enough. I'd say that what's important is not who exactly said it, but what degree of confidence they put in the idea that it was due to global warming, and how wide the consensus was that this was definitely the explanation. There's nothing wrong with putting forth theories that turn out to be falsified by later observation, that's just how science works after all. And as theories go, surely it is fairly reasonable to suggest that this was an effect of global warming--you yourself agree that the earth has gotten significantly warmer in this century, even though you disagree about the explanation.

Jesse said:

Torqumada said:
The picture is a bit blurry for me, maybe the resolution dropped. I went looking for the original and cannot find it at the site you indicated. Which figure is it please? Some of the data points appear to go above 300 ppm on the CO2, but I want to be sure on that.

Are you sure you were looking at the right site? The one I posted was http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Precautionary_Planning/New_Data/ and it's the only graph that appears in that article. Meanwhile, the book The Earth's Biosphere which I referred to earlier gives some exact numbers:

As noted in chapter 4, only approximate reconstructions of CO2 levels are possible for more distant periods, but air bubbles from Antarctic and Greenland ice cores (the largest one is 3,623 m deep) make it possible to trace CO2 levels with high accuracy for the past 420,000 years (Petit et al. 1999). During that time CO2 levels have stayed between 180 and 300 ppm, and during the 5,000 years preceding 1850, they fluctuated only between 250-290 ppm (Petit et al. 1999; fig 4.10). Their post-1850 rise will be described in chapter 9.
(p. 135)

Then in chapter 9 he discusses measurements of current CO2 levels (measurements made far away from civilization):

The first systematic measurements of background CO2 levels (i.e., far away from major anthropogenic sources of the gas as well as from extensively vegetated areas) began in 1958 at Mauna Loa and at the South Pole, with stations in north Alaska and American Samoa added later (Keeling 1998). Mauna Loa's 1958 average CO2 was 320 ppm, whereas in 2000 the mean observation surpassed 370 ppm (fig. 5.8). This increase of more than 30% in 150 years is of concern because CO2 is a major greenhouse gas whose main absorption band coincides with the Earth's peak thermal emission (see chapter 4).
(p. 234)

So, that figure of 370 ppm in 2000 would be about 28% larger than it's been at any time in the 5000 years before 1850, and about 23% larger than it's been at any time before 1850 in the last 420,000 years.

Torqumada said:
As for other sources of CO2 on this planet and the reason for its rise, I can think of a couple of natural sources, that provide the majority of the CO2 in the atmosphere anyway.
1) Volcanic gases. There have been several large volcanic releases and many small low key eruptions (more like leaks in terms of volcanoes I guess) in the last 200 years or so: St Helens, Pinatubo, Krakatoa, Vesuvius, the one in Iceland I can't remember, downtown LA (if you can believe Hollywood. :p ) as well as others like those in Hawaii that are low key. I am not sure if there has been a relative upswing in activity to account for this but its a possibility.
2)Earthquales also can release lots of gases trapped in the Earth crust. If these events take place in an area that can't be easily observed, like the ocean floor, and CO2 can be relased without us seeing it.
3) Inhibtion of the ocean from absorping CO2 like its supposed to. Maybe there is a threshhold to how much the ocean can absorp. Once it reaches that limit CO2 begins to build up in the atmosphere, until the temperature rises, causing an explosion in the growth of plants, both terrestrial and aquatic that can once again absorp the excess CO2 and start the cycle over again. Maybe there are cycles to the algal and protozoan populations that last 125,000 years or so to account for this.
4) Everyone breathing my air! (thats a joke. this is a firendly debate after all. :p )
5) Earth passing through an interstellar cloud of gases, composed primarily of CO2 and metthane, causing it to seed the atmosphere with excess that the eco-system then has to deal with. (Least likely, but plausible)
6) This one might be a bit circular one or at least a positive reinforcement system. If the amount of solar radiation has increased, causing temps to increase, then the melting ice of the Arctic and Antarctic of the Earth, could release trapped CO2 during the melting process, increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Well again, your arguments seem to be based on virtually no research into what led scientists to conclude the increase in CO2 was primarily due to human sources--you seem to be under the impression that scientists are pretty much in the dark about the contribution from other sources like volcanic gases, but from what basic research I've done that doesn't seem to be the case. For example, according to this wikipedia article on CO2:

Volcanic activity now releases about 130-230 million metric tons (145-255 million short tons) of carbon dioxide each year. Volcanic releases are about 1% the amount which is released by human activities.

Since the annual gain in carbon in the atmosphere from increased CO2 concentration is measured to be about 3.2 billion tons (see this page), scientist's estimates of the contribution from volcanic activity would have to be off by more than a thousand in order for it volcanic activity to play any significant role in the increase in CO2.

The Earth's Biosphere also has a detailed section on the carbon cycle in which the author mentions that it is "the best studies of all elemental cycles". This lists all the various carbon sources and sinks that contribute to the annual flux of carbon in the atmosphere, like 100 Mt of carbon being buried each year by plankton sinking to the bottom of the ocean; it seems as though all the various elements of the carbon cycle are fairly well-measured. The page I linked to earlier also gives figures for the various sources and sinks of carbon, summed up in this diagram:

global_carbon_cycle.gif

(this is obviously simplified, since many of these categories can be broken up into further subcategories)

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this page, but very similar numbers are also given on this page. Also, I don't know what the error bars on the various numbers given are, but they're good enough that when you sum the various fluxes from the atmosphere into carbon sinks with the fluxes from carbon sources into the atmosphere, you get 107 Gt - 102 Gt = 5 Gt, only 1.8 Gt off from the measured flux of 3.2 Gt. It's possible that this is just luck, but again, I think it's foolish to argue the estimates may be badly off without even bothering to learn how scientists arrive at these numbers in the first place.

This page gives some other reasons why it's thought to be fairly certain that the main source of increased CO2 is human activities:

http://www.radix.net/~bobg/faqs/scq.CO2rise.html

For one thing, they point out that the total mass of the extra CO2 in the atmosphere each year is actually less then the mass of CO2 emitted by human activities:

The rise of airborne CO2 falls short of the human-made CO2 emissions.
** Taken together, the ocean and the terrestrial vegetation and soils
** must currently be a net sink of CO2 rather than a source [Melillo,
** p 454] [Schimel 94, p 47, 55] [Schimel 95, p 79] [Siegenthaler].

The geographical distribution of increased CO2 also matches human activities:

Most "new" CO2 comes from the Northern Hemisphere.* Measurements
** in Antarctica show that Southern Hemisphere CO2 level lags behind
** by 1 to 2 years, which reflects the interhemispheric mixing time.
** The ppmv-amount of the lag at a given time has increased according
** to increasing anthropogenic CO2 emissions. [Schimel 94, p 43]
** [Siegenthaler]

Finally, the ratio of carbon isotopes in the air matches that of human emissions, but not that of CO2 emitted by the biosphere or the ocean:

Fossil fuels contain practically no carbon 14 (14C) and less carbon
** 13 (13C) than air.* CO2 coming from fossil fuels should show up in
** the trends of 13C and 14C.* Indeed, the observed isotopic trends
** fit CO2 emissions from fossil fuels.* The trends are not compatible
** with a dominant CO2 source in the terrestrial biosphere or in the
** ocean.* If you shun details, please skip the next two paragraphs.

** The unstable carbon isotope 14C or radiocarbon makes up for roughly
** 1 in 10**12 carbon atoms in earth's atmosphere.* 14C has a half-life
** of about 5700 years. The stock is replenished in the upper atmosphere
** by a nuclear reaction involving cosmic rays and 14N* [Butcher,
** p 240-241].* Fossil fuels contain no 14C, as it decayed long ago.
** Burning fossil fuels should lower the atmospheric 14C fraction (the
** `Suess effect').* Indeed, atmospheric 14C, measured on tree rings,
** dropped by 2 to 2.5 % from about 1850 to 1954, when nuclear bomb
** tests started to inject 14C into the atmosphere [Butcher, p 256-257]
** [Schimel 95, p 82].* This 14C decline cannot be explained by a CO2
** source in the terrestrial vegetation or soils.

** The stable isotope 13C amounts to a bit over 1 % of earth's carbon,
** almost 99 % is ordinary 12C [Butcher, p 240].* Fossil fuels contain
** less 13C than air, because plants, which once produced the precursors
** of the fossilized organic carbon compounds, prefer 12C over 13C in
** photosynthesis (rather, they prefer CO2 which contains a 12C atom)
** [Butcher, p 86].* Indeed, the 13C fractions in the atmosphere and
** ocean surface waters declined over the past decades [Butcher, p 257]
** [C.Keeling] [Quay] [Schimel 94, p 42].* This fits a fossil fuel CO2
** source and argues against a dominant oceanic CO2 source.* Oceanic
** carbon has a trifle more 13C than atmospheric carbon, but 13CO2 is
** heavier and less volatile than 12CO2, thus CO2 degassed from the
** ocean has a 13C fraction close to that of atmospheric CO2 [Butcher,
** p 86] [Heimann].* How then should an oceanic CO2 source cause
** a simultaneous drop of 13C in both the atmosphere and ocean ?

Torqumada said:
As I have said before, I have no doubts that humans have added to the CO2 levels, I jsut don't think its a primary cause of Global warming. I think its a natural part of Earth's climatologicla cycle and we just happen to have the technology and knowledge to witness it at this time.

There are two separate questions here though:

1. Do you agree that the increase in CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is most likely due to human causes?
2. Do you agree that the increase in CO2 concentration is a primary cause of global warming?

My guess is that the minority of climate scientists who are "global warming skeptics" would cast doubt on #2, but virtually none would have significant doubts about #1. I'd be curious as to whether you could find even a single real scientist who thinks #1 is likely to be false, and whether they have responses to the various lines of evidence mentioned in the website above.

sulfur dioxide

SO2 droplets suppress rainfall and increase cloud cover, thereby cooling the earth. Even as CO2 levels were going up and increasing global warming, the cloud cover increase was cooling it.
Unfortunately, the SO2 washes out of the atmosphere much faster than the CO2 is absorbed.
When the world was industrializing and using much more coal, oil, and gas every year, the SO2 was offsetting the CO2 and preventing global warming. Then around 1970 we started pulling out the SO2 to reduce acid rain and particulate coal ash. So the CO2 was up there with nothing to offset it and global warming was going great guns..
Now China is dumping huge quantities of coal ash and acid into the air. The SO2 is offsetting the CO2 again, at the cost of making the Chinese rivers run dry because they are preventing rainfall over China.

Just to simplify things for the moment, since its been a long 24 hour shift and I need some rest before looking at all the data
Jesse said:
There are two separate questions here though:

1. Do you agree that the increase in CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is most likely due to human causes?
2. Do you agree that the increase in CO2 concentration is a primary cause of global warming?

My guess is that the minority of climate scientists who are "global warming skeptics" would cast doubt on #2, but virtually none would have significant doubts about #1. I'd be curious as to whether you could find even a single real scientist who thinks #1 is likely to be false, and whether they have responses to the various lines of evidence mentioned in the website above.
1. I think that humans have added to the CO2 levels, but even the graph you posted has shown that it is only a fraction of the total CO2 level over the last 450,000 years or so. Now as to what the causes are for the 125,000 or so year fluctuation, I would say that is part of the normal biosphere.
2. I still think overall global warming is part of a normal Earth heating and cooling cycle. The data you have provided suggests that strongly. To the best of our knowledge there was no industry on Earth 450,000 years ago and yet the CO2 levels and temeprature rose on its own.

Torqumada

Jesse, I was speaking of the 2nd grapg that had CO2 levels, Methane levels and temperature. I couldn't find that one.

Torqumada

Torqumada said:
Jesse, I was speaking of the 2nd grapg that had CO2 levels, Methane levels and temperature. I couldn't find that one.

Torqumada

Ah, sorry, that one is a little harder to find...go to the paper I linked to and scroll down to the section titled "The Greenhouse Gas/Temperature Relationship", and click on the link "Figure 2", which takes you to this figure. At the top of the page it says "To see this plot extended to 420,000 years, click here" which takes you to the graph I posted.

Jesse said:
So, that figure of 370 ppm in 2000 would be about 28% larger than it's been at any time in the 5000 years before 1850, and about 23% larger than it's been at any time before 1850 in the last 420,000 years.

Incidentally, as of 2004 the CO2 levels are up to 379 ppm (google "carbon dioxide" and "379 ppm" to find a number of sources), so it's about 31% larger than it's been at any time in the 5000 years before 1850 (max. 290 ppm), and about 26% larger than it's been at any time before 1850 in the last 420,000 years (max. 300 ppm).

Jesse said:
Ah, sorry, that one is a little harder to find...go to the paper I linked to and scroll down to the section titled "The Greenhouse Gas/Temperature Relationship", and click on the link "Figure 2", which takes you to this figure. At the top of the page it says "To see this plot extended to 420,000 years, click here" which takes you to the graph I posted.

Thank you. I had clicked all the figures in that paper and couldn't find the one you linked. I must have missed the secondary link off of that primary. More later.

Torqumada

wkwillis said:
I was reading a book on natural disasters recently. It was pointing out that the loss of life, the insurance payouts, and the total damages from bad weather had increased at huge and rapidly increasing rates over the last thirty years and there was no sign that it was going to get any better. Global warming was pumping so much more energy into the situation that the hotter, drier, windier, and wetter spells were running outside "normal" bounds.QUOTE]

1. Inflation has caused property values to increase over the last 30 years. For example if the house I am currently living in was smashed in a tornado in 1970 in insurnce payout would be a lot less than it would be if it was smashed now.
2. The population of the earth has increased over the last 30 years.
Member. Particularly along coasts. For example, the popuation of California and Florida has skyrocketed over the last 30 years.
3. Bigger houses means higher payouts.
4. So you can blaim every single weather abnormality on glabal warming, how convient.

Now more points:
"Scientists also point out that nature produces far more greenhouse gases than we do. For example, when the Mount Pinatubo volcano erupted, within just a few hours it had thrown into the atmosphere 30 million tonnes of sulphur dioxide - almost twice as much as all the factories, power plants and cars in the United States do in a whole year. Oceans emit 90 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas, every year. Decaying plants throw up another 90 billion tonnes, compared to just six billion tonnes a year from humans. What's more, 100 million years ago, there was six times as much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as there is now, yet the temperature then was marginally cooler than it is today. Many scientists have concluded that carbon dioxide doesn't even affect climate. 'When proper satellite measurements are done of world temperatures, they do not show any increase whatsoever over the last 20 years.'According to Piers Corbyn, Director of Weather Action, many scientists do not accept the idea that pollution is causing global warming. Environmentalists claim that world temperatures have risen one degree Fahrenheit in the past century, but Corbyn points out that the period they take as their starting point - around 1880 - was colder than average. What's more, the timing of temperature changes does not appear to support the theory of global warming. Most of the rise came before 1940 - before human-caused emissions of 'greenhouse' gases became significant. "
quotes from: http://www.users.bigpond.com/smartboard/aginatur/prog1.htm#suspend

Hi Gedca

Gedca said:
wkwillis said:
I was reading a book on natural disasters recently. It was pointing out that the loss of life, the insurance payouts, and the total damages from bad weather had increased at huge and rapidly increasing rates over the last thirty years and there was no sign that it was going to get any better. Global warming was pumping so much more energy into the situation that the hotter, drier, windier, and wetter spells were running outside "normal" bounds.QUOTE]

1. Inflation has caused property values to increase over the last 30 years. For example if the house I am currently living in was smashed in a tornado in 1970 in insurnce payout would be a lot less than it would be if it was smashed now.
2. The population of the earth has increased over the last 30 years.
Member. Particularly along coasts. For example, the popuation of California and Florida has skyrocketed over the last 30 years.
3. Bigger houses means higher payouts.
4. So you can blaim every single weather abnormality on glabal warming, how convient.

Now more points:
"Scientists also point out that nature produces far more greenhouse gases than we do. For example, when the Mount Pinatubo volcano erupted, within just a few hours it had thrown into the atmosphere 30 million tonnes of sulphur dioxide - almost twice as much as all the factories, power plants and cars in the United States do in a whole year. Oceans emit 90 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas, every year. Decaying plants throw up another 90 billion tonnes, compared to just six billion tonnes a year from humans. What's more, 100 million years ago, there was six times as much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as there is now, yet the temperature then was marginally cooler than it is today. Many scientists have concluded that carbon dioxide doesn't even affect climate. 'When proper satellite measurements are done of world temperatures, they do not show any increase whatsoever over the last 20 years.'According to Piers Corbyn, Director of Weather Action, many scientists do not accept the idea that pollution is causing global warming. Environmentalists claim that world temperatures have risen one degree Fahrenheit in the past century, but Corbyn points out that the period they take as their starting point - around 1880 - was colder than average. What's more, the timing of temperature changes does not appear to support the theory of global warming. Most of the rise came before 1940 - before human-caused emissions of 'greenhouse' gases became significant. "
quotes from: http://www.users.bigpond.com/smartboard/aginatur/prog1.htm#suspend

1. That is the cost after inflation.
2. The population of California and Florida has not increased eight times in the last thirty years. It has barely doubled.
3. The size of houses per capita has not increased significantly. It has increased, but not significantly. They are larger but not that larger.
4. Yes

I don't think it is possible to prevent global warming. I think that because of the increase in population and energy use/crop area per capita, it was too late in 1950. We have cleared vast amounts of land in the last few thousand years. Iron makes cutting down forests for moist soil farming very much easier. Explosives make mining coal very much easier.

It is possible that some part of global warming is nonanthropogenic. We haven't had a decent volcanic eruption in 1400 years. A decent volcano eruption is one that kills a significant part of the earth's population. Tambura doesn't count as a decent eruption.

I think we should be looking at ways to adapt to global warming. It isn't going to stop or even slow down. I do not support Kyoto. It's way too late for that.

For the record, sticking my head in the sand and my butt in the air is not a recipe for success in life. If something is coming at me I want to see it so I can decide if I want to fight or run.

wkwillis, you're saying that all of the temperature rise is caused by humans? According to you "It is possible that some part of global warming is nonanthropogenic" Did you look at the discussion that Jesse and I are having in this thread? He posted data that showed that every 125,000 to 140,000 years there is an increase in temperature, atmospheric CO2 and atmospheric Methane. While the overall CO2 level is 26% or so over the high listed, the spike is occuring at roughly the same time as the previous ones in the past. Are you telling me that all of those temeprature changes are the fault of humans? Please show me the archaelogical data that shows that humans or anyone had the same industiral capacity as we do now 140 to 420 thousand years ago. I think both Jesse and I agree that there has been an increase in atmospheric CO2 and temps, but humans are only responsible for a fraction of it and that it has happened before humans had the capacity for industry.

Torqumada