Yeah, smart move on henry vii's part. I'm surprised to see catherine staying in england but I approve. Plus now mary tudor is free to marry christian ii of denmark which means that isabella of austria or one of her sisters can wed sigismund of poland.

Ooh Henry VII once more proves himself to be a tricky old bastard (but in a good way), and Elizabeth's future looks bright. Awesome update!
Yeah, smart move on henry vii's part. I'm surprised to see catherine staying in england but I approve. Plus now mary tudor is free to marry christian ii of denmark which means that isabella of austria or one of her sisters can wed sigismund of poland.
Thanks! I mean if this happened in OTL I could easily see Henry VII doing this, it's right up his alley. Forgot about the Mary-Christian match, that could be a possibility!

I enjoyed this chapter, but I am not sure it's logical. Why would Henry VII break Mary's betrothal to Charles, only to offer him Elizabeth instead? That makes no sense to me. I could see Elizabeth being offered to Charles if he wasn't already promised to an English bride, but not at the expense of her own aunt.

Elizabeth to Denmark and Mary to Charles makes more sense to me.

Last edited:
I enjoyed this chapter, but I am not sure it's logical. Why would Henry VII break Mary's betrothal atop Charles, only to offer him Elizabeth instead? That makes no sense to me. I could see Elizabeth being offered to Charles if he wasn't already promised to an English bride, but not at the expense of her own aunt.

Thank you! From what I can find, Mary was only betrothed to Charles in 1507, so he should be free at the moment.

Elizabeth is closer in age to Charles. Christian II will marry in 1514 or so, after he becomes king, and Mary will already be 18 and ready to bear children while Elizabeth will be barely 12. I think replacing Mary with Elizabeth was a smart choice tbh, especially since it got Isabel of Portugal for Arthur (though it is true that Arthur could also have married Beatriz).

Thank you! From what I can find, Mary was only betrothed to Charles in 1507, so he should be free at the moment.
that is also true, at this time charles would actually be engaged to claude of france. so...now that i think about i can't see philip and maximilian (who were arranging charles's marriage) breaking charles's betrothal to the potential heiress of brittany. elizabeth can be betrothed to charles in 1506/1507 instead.

that is also true, at this time charles would actually be engaged to claude of france. so...now that i think about i can't see philip and maximilian (who were arranging charles's marriage) breaking charles's betrothal to the potential heiress of brittany. elizabeth can be betrothed to charles in 1506/1507 instead.
Shoot, I forgot about that! I'll have to go and fix that somehow. I'll think I'll give Louis his illness earlier so that Claude's betrothal to Charles is broken.

Last edited:
Just added a quick explanation for the Claude-Charles betrothal thing, I'll go into more detail about it in the next update.

Section 5: Meanwhile on the mainland
"On February 27th, 1505, Queen Isabella quietly passed away in her sleep. Her health had been in decline for years, following numerous family tragedies, though it appears though the birth of her English Grandchildren boosted her health. Upon Isabella's passing, her eldest daughter, Joanna of Aragon, ascended the throne, as Queen Joanna I. Though Joanna and her husband Philip would hesitate to come to Castile. Joanna was pregnant with child and feared that she could suffer a miscarriage on the way to Castile. As such, Ferdinand II of Aragon would act as Regent of Castile until the two arrived in Castile."

- Gilles de Oviedo, "The Sun Shall Rise: The History of the Spanish Empire"​
"In early 1504, Louis XII of France and Duchess Anne of Brittany agreed to betroth their eldest daughter, Claude of France, to Francis of Angouleme. This resulted in Louis breaking Claude's previous betrothal to Charles of Burgundy. Francis of Angouleme, was the heir to France, as the French followed Salic Law, which barred women from inheriting the throne. Brittany on the other hand, did not follow Salic Law. By betrothing the Francis to Claude, Louis had ensured Brittany wouldn't fall into foreign hands upon his death."

- Pierre de Montagu, "The Renaissance King: Francis I of France"​
"In September of 1505, Queen Joanna of Castile finally gave birth, this time to a girl. The girl was named Mary, after her Paternal Grandmother and Maternal Aunt. Little Mary would be the only one of Joanna's children to be born an Infanta of Spain. Not long after Joanna and Philip finally departed for Spain. They left their heir, Charles behind with his siblings however, as the Burgundians refused to accept him as their heir if he were not raised there. During their journey to Spain, they would get caught up in a storm in the English Channel. Thankfully however both would arrive in Spain unharmed in March 1506."

- Gilles de Oviedo, "The Mad Queen: Joanna of Castile"​
"Tragically for Joanna, Philip of Burgundy died not long after they were sworn in as Monarchs of Castile. It is believed Ferdinand II of Aragon poisoned him so that he could maintain control over Castile and because Ferdinand famously hated Philip. Joanna was devastated and mourned her husband, which led to her being deemed unfit to rule. This lead to Ferdinand becoming Regent of Castile, while Margaret of Austria, the sister of Philip, would serve as Regent of Burgundy."

- Post on HISTORY.Net, posted by anonymous user​
"Not long after Joanna's ascension to the throne of Spain, Philip of Burgundy and Manuel of Portugal began discussing a potential betrothal between Crown Prince John of Portugal and Eleanor of Austria. These talks would later be continued between Manuel and Margaret, which later resulted in a betrothal between John and Eleanor being arranged in 1507."

Antonio de Enriquez, "The Aviz, Portugal's Greatest Dynasty"​

Ooh hopefully Eleanor and John actually end up marrying here... Nice to see Louis and Anne securing Brittany for France as well. Wonderful update!
Thanks! Manuel really needs the Spanish alliance here since Charles is off the market, so it's vital for him that the Eleanor and John match occurs, so that they may maintain the alliance.

Definitely, I have seen some people say Eleanor was meant to marry John, but Manuel found Eleanor so pretty he decided to marry her himself. With Maria alive he can't do that.
That is a lie. Eleanor and John planned engagement was abandoned well before she was offered as bride to Manuel. What happened was who Portugal wanted most the match between Isabella and Charles, so the match between Eleanor and John would NOT go ahead without the other

That is a lie. Eleanor and John planned engagement was abandoned well before she was offered as bride to Manuel. What happened was who Portugal wanted most the match between Isabella and Charles, so the match between Eleanor and John would NOT go ahead without the other
Oh I see, it’s fairly common lie. I still don’t think it’s too outlandish here. At the moment Eleanor and her siblings are the only brides suitable for John here, and they do need to keep the Alliance with Spain going.

Section 6: Back in England
"In 1506, Henry VII began to search for a suitor for his youngest child, Princess Mary. Most of the obvious matches were already taken however, with Infante John of Portugal, Infante Charles and Francis of Angouleme already being betrothed. This would lead to Henry VII enquiring into a potential between Prince Christian of Denmark and Mary of England."

- Tatianna Howard, "The Story of Mary Rose Tudor"​

"In 1506, a tutor wrote that Henry of Somerset was, 'A rowdy lad, who yearns to follow in the footsteps of his Plantagenet ancestors and make war against England's enemies'. This perfectly reflect Henry's martial focused education. It also hints towards his future character, which was quite..."

- James Lyons, "The Sons of Hope: The Story of Prince Arthur's sons"​

"I find the boy quite interesting. He prefers to study a book than to ride a horse, or pretend to be a Knight. He prefers to write with the pen than to swing the sword. He prefers peace to struggle, and prefers diplomacy to war. He is most definitely his Grandfather's Grandson."

- An extract from the Journal of one of Prince Arthur's Tutors​
"The Household of the Princes included many boys of their age. Notable individuals include their relatives, such as their maternal cousins Edward Courtenay and Thomas Howard, and the sons of nobles at the time, such as Henry Stafford."

- William J. Samuel, "The Education of the Tudor Princes"​
"In August of 1506, a betrothal between Princess Mary of England and Christian of Denmark was finalised. However, since Denmark was an elective monarchy, there was a chance Christian would not succeed his Father. As such the marriage between Mary and Christian was not to occur until after Christian became King of Denmark."

- Joel Maddow, "The History of the Tudors"​