The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by DTanza, Jul 7, 2014.

1. captainchicken6034 Active Member

2. ShadowOpposition New Member

The dankest 2000 Gore/Bayh victory on Hard.
    https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/1037967

2000 Gore-Bayh win EV 270-268 lose PV 48.52-48.80.png

The closest possible win with 270 EV to Bush's 268 EV.
    Gore LOST THE POPULAR VOTE this time by 0.28%!
    In this alternate reality, Republicans and Democrats switch positions on the Electoral College. Arkansas, Missouri, and Tennessee remain important swing states for 2004.
    The tipping point state was Wisconsin, which Gore won by only 69 votes! Bush also only won Arkansas by 628 votes.

Other close states decided by a margin of <0.5% were Missouri and Tennessee which Gore carried, while Bush carried New Mexico, Oregon, and Iowa.
    Swing states decided by a margin of <4% were Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Michigan (won by Gore), and Florida, New Hampshire, and Ohio (won by Bush).

3. captainchicken6034 Active Member

4. captainchicken6034 Active Member

Hulkster'01 likes this.
  5. ShadowOpposition New Member

So I did the impossible and just barely won as Nixon in 1960 on Impossible, while losing the popular vote... and even made the Hall of Fame #24!
    https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/1041465

1960 Impossible Nixon-Rockefeller win Hall of Fame #24.png

In this world, Nixon paired up with Nelson Rockefeller and won with a pro-Civil Rights, Northern Strategy, cementing the position of Rockefeller Republicans and eschewing the Southern Strategy. This brought together the liberals and moderates of the West Coast, Midwest, and Northeast to support Nixon/Rockefeller, resulting in close victories (<1.5% margin) in states like Pennsylvania, Oregon, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Washington.

Nixon's closest win was the tipping point state of New York with 45 EVs, making Nixon's 10 visits to it invaluable. 50.25% voted for Nixon while 49.75% voted for Kennedy, meaning a swing of 18450 votes the other way would've put Kennedy in the White House instead. Losing any state would have cost Nixon the presidency; even Hawaii with its 3 EVs was valuable (according to historical results for 1960-Nixon-Impossible, Nixon wins it only 2% of the time)!

Bonus: Kennedy won Delaware by a miniscule margin of 38 votes. The states of West Virginia, Oklahoma, Illinois, and California were also only carried by Kennedy by a <1% margin, thus remaining important battlegrounds for 1964. The states of the South become solidly Democratic, meaning that the Republican Party will seek to tighten its grip on the populous West Coast, Midwest and Northeast states, especially Illinois and California. Perhaps George Wallace won't need to run under the American Independent Party in 1968, but instead becomes the Democratic nominee for the presidency.

Today's world would look much different given this alternate history.

6. ArcBeetle Active Member

PopulistBean likes this.
  7. captainchicken6034 Active Member

PopulistBean likes this.
  8. John Farson The Good Man

Humphrey landslide. Better than 99.7% of the games that have played with him at Normal:

https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/1045219

upload_2019-6-29_3-1-24.png

Also, the game assigned one EV to Nixon from Maine, even though that state didn't yet split its electoral votes between districts (that happened in 1972), so Nixon should really have 39 EV, the same as Wallace.

Leon Trotsky likes this.
  9. Zachary VIII Russian bot

https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/1045402
    Played as Kennedy and selected Humphrey and ran liberal on civil rights, which caused the South to bolt to Byrd and deadlock the EC. I got more electoral votes but lost the popular vote by 3%. What would happen with Congress if this happened?

Leon Trotsky likes this.
  10. captainchicken6034 Active Member

11. Col. Angus Mem8er

And here's an even finer moment for Dukakis and milquetoast DLC-style centrism
    https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/1049182

A margin of victory of 15%, with all states except Utah (thus getting the highest number of electoral votes of any President so far), and beating Bush by 13.8 million votes

12. captainchicken6034 Active Member

13. Marky Bunny Well-Known Member

Lost a total squeaker as Dukakis with Gore as my running-mate.
    Won the popular vote by 39,240 votes (0.05%). Lost 286-252 in the electoral college, but the election came down to Michigan's 20 electoral votes which came down to just 1,476 votes in favour of Bush.
    https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/1050189

14. ArcBeetle Active Member

did you forget to write the "/campaign-trail/game/number" part?

15. Johannes Parisiensis Well-Known Member

I discovered this game exactly two weeks ago, one Friday, and I've managed to get, on Easy, a deadlocking of the EC with Douglas 1860 and, on Normal, a win with Nixon/Lodge and Rockefeller, McKinley 1896, Truman 1948, Nixon/Agnew 1968 and Humphrey/Muskie. I also won, on Normal, with both Bush/Quayle and Dukakis/Bentson on 1988, along with Gore/Lieberman on 2000, along with getting Nader earn around 3% of the PV.

I hope to find a version for French elections.

16. captainchicken6034 Active Member

17. RepMR I've got one word for you son. Hyundai.

Better Electoral College win for W. than 2000 OTL, with a 294-244 win over Gore, with Powell on the ticket.

However, Dubya also loses the popular vote by over a million votes, significantly more than OTL 2000...

Notably Gore only won Pennsylvania by 20,000 and Bush only won Tennessee by 9,000

https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/1052207

18. frustrated progressive Insert Witticism Here

Traffic,Heat,Crime,Poverty, Still Paradise (LA)
  19. Johannes Parisiensis Well-Known Member

Today, on Normal, I managed to make Wallace deadlock the EC. Twice, and the first one was involuntary.

The first time, playing Nixon/Agnew, I posted mainline conservative answers but my sabotage of the peace conference was discovered, ending with a lower popularity and a deadlock.
    The second time, while playing Wallace/Thurmond, I concentred on the Southn posing myself as a "counter-subversive" candidate, answering most of the time with hardline segregationnist positions with more moderate position on welfare. I mostly well defended on the Alabama right-to-work law question by race-baiting. Then, suddently, Nixon is discovered messing with the peace conference, making Humphrey more popular and deadlocking the EC.

20. VidaLaVida American-Japanese Bisexual

CultBoy likes this.