You're welcome.

Nah, it was kinda funny to argue about it with you because I had this outlined for the general for a while. I knew the question would have to come up so long as the policy was in place, just figured the main reason for enforcement was more "does the present arrangement work for Reagan," which it did so long as Litton was inviting the Gipper onto his show :p

My god, political comedians must love and hate Silber. Love him for the endless source of utter insanity masquerading as a political strategy and hate him for being unable to top what he is actually saying.

My god, political comedians must love and hate Silber. Love him for the endless source of utter insanity masquerading as a political strategy and hate him for being unable to top what he is actually saying.

Can you imagine Al Franken portraying him? Because I can. I absolutely can.

Damn, son, that chapter was choice. Goodness me. The Northern Strategy spiel was rich, deep delight, and I enjoyed the careful tracing of plot details through the FCC controversy. Love that Ollie is the October Surprise. God knows Saint Ronald of Pacific Pallisades has enough bad karma wrt Latin America for multitudes.

This really was some of your best work in the TL so far, can't wait to see the dash through the second Tuesday of November.

Damn, son, that chapter was choice. Goodness me. The Northern Strategy spiel was rich, deep delight, and I enjoyed the careful tracing of plot details through the FCC controversy. Love that Ollie is the October Surprise. God knows Saint Ronald of Pacific Pallisades has enough bad karma wrt Latin America for multitudes.

This really was some of your best work in the TL so far, can't wait to see the dash through the second Tuesday of November.

Glad to see it came across well, I have to say that Tim Kraft lecturing people was an absolute delight to put together. He’s just got this excellent demeanor to him that I tend to describe as half Turdblossom, half cocaine. Watching him basically mash together sheer political brilliance in a sleep-deprived, absolutely not drug deprived setting is the best campaign strategy.
Funny to see a world where Ollie North doing shady shit in Latin America might be responsible for the downfall of Ronald Reagan, eh? That’s never happened before. Absolutely never. On a more serious note, at the very least this is severely limiting Bill Clements’ employability, given his uh... DoD’s interesting choices on the North front.

John Silber: Well, to be frank, as a budget-saving measure, have we considered reallocating funding from medical services for the terminally ill and elderly off of life support? From a purely economic standpoint, it would save us countless sums of money, and as Shakespeare said, “when you’ve had a long life and you’re ripe, then it’s time to go…”
What the hell?

What the hell?

Craziest part, I didn't even make that up.

In the Massachusetts gubernatorial election of 1990, Silber ran for Governor of Massachusetts as a Democrat. His outsider status, as well as his outspoken and combative style, were at first seen as advantages in a year in which voters were disenchanted with the Democratic Party establishment. As the Democratic nominee, Silber faced Republican William Weld.

Silber's perceived angry personality, coupled with Weld's socially liberal views, helped Weld in the race. During the gubernatorial race, Silber regularly overreacted to questions from the press. These overreactions came to be known as "Silber shockers." On the campaign trail, he called Massachusetts a "welfare magnet" and proposed cutting off benefits for unmarried mothers who have a second child while still on public aid. He questioned saving the lives of terminally ill elderly people, quoting Shakespeare and saying that "when you've had a long life and you're ripe, then it's time to go."

Craziest part, I didn't even make that up.
John Silber is a combination of a crazy technocratic wonk and a parody of a old Hardhat Democrat, his blow up only made the death of the Liberal Party all the more painful (it was already doomed when they made John Fucking Lindsay, a man whose time as NYC Mayor was essentially a walking testament to everything America sees wrong in Liberalism, the nominee)

John Silber is a combination of a crazy technocratic wonk and a parody of a old Hardhat Democrat, his blow up only made the death of the Liberal Party all the more painful (it was already doomed when they made John Fucking Lindsay, a man whose time as NYC Mayor was essentially a walking testament to everything America sees wrong in Liberalism, the nominee)

More or less, yeah. He’s just the shit icing on the massive shit cake that is John Lindsay, who tried to basically pull a Nixonian political impossibility and ah... was not Richard Nixon.

How did he get elected to anything?

Fortunately, he didn’t. OTL he was just an academic, as Wolfram said, and ITTL he’s just a prominent Liberal (campaigned to help get Elliot Richardson elected, that sort of thing) who seemed perfect for Lindsay’s little mad scheme.

Might as well post a prediction. Waiting eagerly for the election.

20200313_000428.jpg

ACT ONE: Part 19 - Decision '80
“Our projections currently show that the President has carried Georgia, Virginia, and South Carolina. Interestingly, Indiana, which is usually called very early on in the night, is still too close. While the President leads, Senator Litton is outperforming usual trends in the state. While the Democrats may not carry it nationally, this could be quite a lot of help to Senator Birch Bayh, who is running in a difficult re-election campaign…”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 7:27 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Senator Litton has made his first gains of the night, as we can project that he has carried West Virginia, and he leads heavily in both Vermont and Ohio. If he wins Vermont, he would be the first Democrat since Lyndon Johnson to win one of the deepest Republican states in the nation.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 7:43 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Before more states close on the eastern seaboard, we have one more race to call - we can now project that President Reagan has claimed North Carolina, continuing his reversal of Jimmy Carter’s southern sweep in 1976.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 7:59 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“We can now say that Jerry Litton has won Vermont, partially due to an apparently strong but not strong enough performance by John Lindsay. Hopefully for the Liberal ticket, this is not a sign of things to come.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 8:15 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“We have a handful of states to call now that the 8-o’clock closings have been completed - Ronald Reagan has claimed Alabama, Mississippi, and Oklahoma, while Jerry Litton has won Missouri and Washington DC. This places the President at 69 electoral votes and Senator Litton at 23.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 8:37 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Nearly an hour later than usual, we can now place Indiana in the Reagan camp. This is no doubt of concern to the President, who is evidently seeing lessened support from blue-collar and farmland voters. Interestingly, despite the President’s victory, it appears that Senator Bayh is still in the lead in his race. While we still await results from other heartland states, it appears that Senator Litton has the lead in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 8:46 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“It appears that the Liberal ticket of John Lindsay and John Silber is under-performing relative to the party’s 1976 showing, given results in New England. It appears that-I’m sorry, I’m getting breaking news. Maryland, Senator Mathias’ home state, as well as Rhode Island and Massachusetts have gone for Senator Litton. This is a serious blow to Liberal chances in their normal strongholds. New Hampshire, unsurprisingly, has gone for Ronald Reagan. Connecticut is contested between Litton and Reagan, but it appears that John Lindsay has nearly 10% in the state. We’ll know for certain later…”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 8:57 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“It appears that Florida has gone for President Reagan, as another state in the President’s sweep of the south. Currently, it’s too early to call Arkansas, while Tennessee and Kentucky are too close to call. Oh-we’re receiving word that the state of Ohio has gone for Senator Litton. This is no doubt a huge victory for the Democrats, one the President will have to make up elsewhere to reach 270 electoral votes.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 8:59 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Just as the next batch of states close, we can make a major announcement - Jerry Litton has carried Pennsylvania. This is another major win in the Midwest, where the Democrats need to make up if they are to retake the White House.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 9:04 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“We now have the ability to call several states, thanks to the batch that closed at 9 PM here in the studio. In particular, Senator Litton has won Connecticut, Delaware, Michigan, and the major prize of New York, while the President has won Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, and Wyoming. The Dakotas, two normally-Republican states, remain too close to call. Meanwhile, Senator Litton has overtaken the President’s lead in New Jersey, while it remains too close to call…”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 9:25 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“We can now safely call Maine for Senator Litton, while we can also place Tennessee in the President’s column. Tennessee is Vice President Baker’s home state, so this is hardly a surprise. As for the rest of the southern states, Kentucky is continually changing hands, and Texas is currently very slightly in Senator Litton’s favor…”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 9:38 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Wisconsin and Minnesota, two vital states in this race, have both gone for Senator Litton, we can now project. This is obviously good news for the Democrats, who have both cleared 200 electoral votes with this news, and who have clearly rebuilt their base within the Midwest, given the Litton-Carey ticket’s performance in these states. In addition, Litton currently leads in Illinois, although it is still a tight race…”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 9:57 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Almost immediately, we can give Utah and Nevada to the President, and it appears that he leads in Idaho too…”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 10:15 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Senator Litton has claimed another state, as he has carried New Mexico. This was not an expected target for the Senator, but it appears that he has outperformed expectations among rural voters in the state. Perhaps this is evocative of things to come.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 10:24 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“We have major news - due to strong margins with blue-collar voters and nearly six percent of the vote going to John Lindsay, Jerry Litton has carried the state of New Jersey. The Garden State was on the Democrats’ radar, but the victory here this early is still a very unexpected one.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 10:39 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Another piece of good news for the Litton camp, as the Missouri Senator can now say that he has won Illinois. This was a major point of contention for both candidates, with the President frequently holding rallies in his once-primary opponent Charles Percy’s home state. Ultimately, though, it appears this was for naught.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 10:57 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Now that the pacific counties have closed their polling stations, we can officially give Idaho to the President. However, the Senate race in Idaho between Frank Church and Steve Symms remains contentious…”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 11:25 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“Jerry Litton has carried Iowa, seemingly demonstrating his strength in rural America relative to other national Democratic figures. Not since Harry Truman, another Missourian, has a Democrat demonstrated this level of support in farm communities.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 11:38 PM EST, November 4th, 1980

“We have… astounding news, really. There will be young children in the White House for the first time since the Kennedys lived there. Texas has given its electoral votes, and therefore the needed 270, to Senator, now President-Elect, Jerry Litton. I repeat, Jerry Litton has won the White House.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 12:02 AM EST, November 5th, 1980

“It appears that Jerry Litton has won both Washington and Oregon, leaving only California in President Reagan’s reach on the West Coast. This is the President’s home state, so we expect it to end up in his hands, but time will tell.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 12:44 AM EST, November 5th, 1980

“After hours of waiting for results, we can narrowly hand Kentucky to Senator Litton. In addition to this, Alaska has gone to the President, while Hawaii has lent its electoral votes to the President-Elect.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 1:02 AM EST, November 5th, 1980

“Colorado has gone for the Democrats on two levels - Jerry Litton has carried the state nationally, while Senator Gary Hart has won re-election.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 1:43 AM EST, November 5th, 1980

“In the northern plains, we can hand three states to Litton as well - both Dakotas and Montana. Despite their Republican slants, it appears that the Senator’s aforementioned strength in farm country, not to mention high turnout by unionized miners in Montana, brought the three of them in. Interestingly, despite this, South Dakota Senator George McGovern has lost his re-election bid.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 2:21 AM EST, November 5th, 1980

“The only state we have left to declare is the President’s home state, California. Returns have been unclear, and only one thing is certain, perhaps to the President’s detriment - John Lindsay is outperforming his national totals, which are nearing five percent at the moment. Time will tell as to whether the forty-five electoral votes awarded by California bolster the President’s defeat or not.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 2:27 AM EST, November 5th, 1980

“Finally, at nearly 8 in the morning, we have an announcement to make - Jerry Litton has carried California. It appears that this was only by about a quarter of a percent of the vote, but at the end of the day, Litton has still emerged victorious.”

Harry Reasoner on ABC News at 7:49 AM EST, November 5th, 1980

Screenshot (242).png

FINAL VOTE TOTALS
DEMOCRATIC: Jerry Lon Litton / Hugh Leo Carey: 51.42% (45,836,380), 374 EVs
REPUBLICAN: Ronald Wilson Reagan / Howard Henry Baker Jr.: 41.93% (37,376,885), 164 EVs
LIBERAL: John Vliet Lindsay / John Robert Silber: 5.68% (5,063,217), 0 EVs
OTHER: 0.97% (864,669)

SEBELIUS ELECTED TO SENATE, UNSEATS ROY

THE WICHITA EAGLE, November 5th, 1980

RECOUNT ENDS: BAYH DEFEATS QUAYLE BY ONE THOUSAND VOTES

THE INDIANAPOLIS STAR, November 16th, 1980

GOLDWATER UNSEATED BY SCHULZ

THE ARIZONA REPUBLIC, November 5th, 1980

MATHIAS FENDS OFF CHALLENGES FROM DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS, HOLDS SEAT

...the Republican candidate, Congressman Robert Bauman, fended off charges that he had solicited sex from a 16 year-old male prostitute...

THE MARYLAND INDEPENDENT, November 5th, 1980

CUOMO UNSEATS JAVITS TO CLAIM SENATE SEAT

Mario Cuomo, the incumbent Secretary of State and a longtime ally of Vice President-Elect Hugh Carey…

THE NEW YORK TIMES, November 5th, 1980

FRANK DRAKE, CONTROVERSIAL UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT, WINS CONGRESSIONAL SEAT

...Mr. Drake previously ran a segregation academy and has refused to condemn East Holmes Academy. Despite this, an independent campaign that snapped up more Liberal-minded and especially African-American voters allowed for Drake to win with a plurality...

THE MERIDIAN STAR, November 5th, 1980

“Watching Reagan lose... yeah, that’s when I kinda realized what I needed to do. You can’t tie conservative economics to conservative social policy to get blue-collar guys onboard, it doesn’t work. They see through the bullshit. What you gotta do is give them cover, let them convince themselves they’re not voting for those economic policies that fuck ‘em. It’s about the courts or abortion or busing or any of that, not taxes. There’s this view by our favorite midwesterners and California conservatives that the south is a bunch of backwards reactionary hicks. They think we’ll just hop on board, and by extension voters like us, will hop on board if we go on about state’s rights. Here’s the thing. Nobody will fuck themselves over if they know they’re doing it. I grew up poor here in Columbia, working folks down here in South Carolina are a lot of things but they ain’t dumb. Nobody else seems to get that, and nobody gets that they recognize what these economic policies really mean for ‘em. Maybe that’s why I’m doing so well for myself here, maybe that’s why Thurmond and Campbell and the whole lot like me so much. They get that I see something they don’t, and maybe I can give us some real power for once. I don’t know.”

Comments made by Lee Atwater to Michael Wolff in 1982, later published by Wolff in “Three Days In The Lion’s Den” in 2015 following Atwater’s death

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ELECTIONS

Democrats: 270 (-18)
Republicans: 152 (+20)
Liberals: 13 (-2)

Speaker: Tip O’Neill (D-MA-8)
Majority Leader: Richard Bolling (D-MO-5)
Majority Whip: John Brademas (D-IN-3)

Minority Leader: Robert Michel (R-IL-18)
Minority Whip: John Paul Hammerschmidt (R-AR-3)

Opposition Leader: Jim Jeffords (L-VT-AL)
Opposition Whip: Millicent Fenwick (L-NJ-5)

SENATE ELECTIONS

Democrats: 60
(-4)
Republicans: 36 (+5)

Liberals: 3 (-1)
Independents: 1 (-)

Senate Majority Leader: Robert Byrd (WV)
Senate Majority Whip: Walter Mondale (MN)

Senate Minority Leader: Ted Stevens (AK)
Senate Minority Whip: Jake Garn (UT)

Senate Opposition Leader: Charles Mathias (MD)
Senate Opposition Whip: Elliot Richardson (MA)

Alabama
- Howell Heflin (D)
- Incumbent Jeremiah Denton (R) re-elected over Jim Folsom (D). R hold.

Alaska
- Ted Stevens (R)
- Frank Murkowski (R) defeats incumbent Mike Gravel (D). R gain.

Arizona
- Bill Schulz (D) defeats incumbent Barry Goldwater (R). D gain.
- Dennis DeConcini (D)

Arkansas
- Incumbent Dale Bumpers (D) re-elected over William Clark (R). D hold.

- David Pryor (D)

California
- Incumbent Alan Cranston (D) re-elected over Paul Gann (R). D hold.
- S. I. Hayakawa (R)

Colorado
- Incumbent Gary Hart (D) re-elected over Mary Estill Buchanan (R). D hold.
- William L. Armstrong (R)

Connecticut
- Lowell Weicker (L)
- Incumbent Abraham Ribicoff (D) retires, Chris Dodd (D) defeats Richard Bozzuto (R). D hold.

Delaware
- Bill Roth (R)
- Joe Biden (D)

Florida
- Lawton Chiles (D)
- Incumbent Richard B. Stone (D) defeated in primary, Paula Hawkins (R) defeats Buddy MacKay (D). R gain.

Georgia
- Mack Mattingly (R) defeats incumbent Herman Talmadge (D). R gain.
- Sam Nunn (D)

Hawaii
- Incumbent Daniel Inouye (D) re-elected over Cooper Brown (R). D hold.
- Spark Matsunaga (D)

Idaho
- Incumbent Frank Church (D) re-elected over Steve Symms (R). D hold.
- James McClure (R)

Illinois
- Charles Percy (R)
- Incumbent Adlai Stevenson III (D) re-elected over Dave O’Neal (R). D hold.

Indiana
- Incumbent Birch Bayh (D) re-elected over Dan Quayle (R). D hold.
- Richard Lugar (R)

Iowa
- Incumbent John Culver (D) re-elected over Chuck Grassley (R). D hold.
- Dick Clark (D)

Kansas
- Keith Sebelius (R) defeats incumbent Bill Roy (D). R gain.
- Nancy Kassebaum (R)

Kentucky
- Incumbent Walter Huddleston (D) re-elected over Mary Louise Foust (R). D hold.
- Wendell Ford (D)

Louisiana
- Incumbent Russell Long (D) re-elected over Woody Jenkins (R). D hold.
- J. Bennett Johnston (D)

Maine
- William Cohen (R)
- Edmund Muskie (D)

Maryland
- Incumbent Charles Mathias (L) re-elected over Edward Conroy (D) and Robert Bauman (R). L hold.
- Paul Sarbanes (D)

Massachusetts
- Ted Kennedy (D)
- Elliot Richardson (L)

Michigan
- Donald Riegle (D)
- John Dingell (D)

Minnesota
- Walter Mondale (D)
- Muriel Humphrey (D)

Mississippi
- John Stennis (D)
- Thad Cochran (R)

Missouri
- Incumbent Tom Eagleton (D) re-elected over Gene McNary (R). D hold.
- Kit Bond (R) appointed to fill Jerry Litton’s vacant seat.

Montana
- John Melcher (D)
- Max Baucus (D)

Nebraska
- Edward Zorinsky (D)
- J. James Exon (D)

Nevada
- Howard Cannon (D)
- Incumbent Paul Laxalt (R) re-elected over Mary Gojack (D). R hold.

New Hampshire
- Warren Rudman (R) defeats incumbent John A. Durkin (D). R gain.
- Thomas J. McIntyre (D)

New Jersey
- Harrison Williams (D)
- Bill Bradley (D)

New Mexico
- Toney Anaya (D)
- Harrison Schmitt (R)

New York
- Mario Cuomo (D) defeats incumbent Jacob Javits (L) and Al D’Amato (R). D gain.
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D)

North Carolina
- Jesse Helms (R)
- Incumbent Robert Burren Morgan (D) re-elected over John East (R). D hold.

North Dakota
- Incumbent Milton Young (R) retires, Mark Andrews (R) defeats Kent Johanneson (D). R hold.
- Quentin Burdick (D)

Ohio
- Incumbent John Glenn (D) re-elected over Jim Betts (R). D hold.
- Robert Taft Jr. (R)

Oklahoma
- David Boren (D)
- Incumbent Henry Bellmon (R) retires, Jack Zink (R) defeats Andy Coats (D). R hold.

Oregon
- Mark Hatfield (R)
- Incumbent Bob Packwood (R) re-elected over Ted Kulongoski (D). R hold.

Pennsylvania
- John Heinz (R)
- Incumbent Richard Schweiker (R) retires, Joseph Rhodes Jr. (D) defeats Edward Howard (R). D gain.

Rhode Island
- Claiborne Pell (D)
- John Chafee (R)

South Carolina

- Strom Thurmond (R)
- Incumbent Ernest Hollings (D) re-elected over Marshall Mays (R). D hold.

South Dakota
- James Abdnor (R) defeats incumbent George McGovern (D). R gain.
- James Abourezk (D)

Tennessee
- Jim Sasser (D)
- Harvey Howard (R)

Texas
- Lloyd Bentsen (D)
- Bob Krueger (D)

Utah
- Incumbent Jake Garn (R) re-elected over Dan Berman (D). R hold.
- Orrin Hatch (R)

Vermont
- Robert Stafford (R)
- Incumbent Patrick Leahy (D) re-elected over Stewart Ledbetter (R). D hold.

Virginia
- Harry F. Byrd Jr. (I)
- Richard Obenshain (R)

Washington
- Incumbent Warren Magnuson (D) re-elected over Slade Gorton (R). D hold.
- King Lysen (D)

West Virginia
- Jennings Randolph (D)
- Robert Byrd (D)

Wisconsin
- William Proxmire (D)
- Incumbent Gaylord Nelson (D) re-elected over Bob Kasten (R). D hold.

Wyoming
- Malcolm Wallop (R)
- Alan Simpson (R)

GUBERNATORIAL ELECTIONS

Arkansas
- Incumbent Bill Clinton (D) re-elected over Frank White (R). D hold.

Delaware
- Pierre DuPont (R) defeats Sherman Tribbitt (D). R hold.

Illinois
- James Thompson (R) defeats Michael Howlett (D). R hold.

Indiana
- Robert D. Orr (R) defeats John Hillenbrand (D). R hold.

Missouri
- Jim Spainhower (D) defeats Bill Phelps (R). D gain.

Montana
- Incumbent Thomas Lee Judge (D) re-elected over Jack Ramirez (R). D hold.

New Hampshire
- Incumbent Hugh Gallen (D) re-elected over Meldrim Thomson (R). D hold.

North Carolina
- Jim Hunt (D) defeats Beverly Lake (R). D hold.

North Dakota
- Incumbent Arthur A. Link (D) re-elected over Allen I. Olson (R). D hold.

Rhode Island
- John Garrahy (D) defeats Buddy Cianci (R). D hold.

Utah
- Incumbent Vernon Romney (R) re-elected over Scott Matheson (D). R hold.

Vermont
- Richard Snelling (R) defeats M. Jerome Diamond (D). R gain.

Washington
- John Spellman (R) defeats incumbent Dixy Lee Ray (D). R gain.

West Virginia
- Jay Rockefeller (D) defeats Arch A. Moore (R). D hold.

Last edited:
dammm i did not see this coming! esspically a win as big this nice to see a firm denunciation of reganism, though it gonna be hard with a divided congress