The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow 432 pages? Ummm, kinda hesitant to start reading this just due to the sheer length and time needed. But to be honest, mentions of this amazing TL have permeated the comments in other threads on this forum and convinced me to search for this one. Guess I'l read the first few chapters and see how I feel...

Wow 432 pages? Ummm, kinda hesitant to start reading this just due to the sheer length and time needed. But to be honest, mentions of this amazing TL have permeated the comments in other threads on this forum and convinced me to search for this one. Guess I'l read the first few chapters and see how I feel...

And now his watch begins... :p

Just read the story-only thread. The vast majority of the thread is people asking questions about little nuances that weren't important enough to be included.

Md139115

Banned

It's like Nordic mythology about Odin. If you do it, you'll probably go blind, but gain wisdom.

@CalBear, hypothetically, with perfect hindsight, could a different A4 system have been productively set up after the end of the war?

The USA, the UK, and India all have full membership, and the rest of the Commonwealth a shared one (the decisions thereof to be handled internally).

Is this possible?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Sure. Easiest way would have been an "A5" to include India.

The problem with that sort of post war world is that it tends to be a bit too "happily ever after". Things could have been much worse ATL post war (all that was really needed to get there is to do nothing and map OTL into the ATL, with all the failed states post colonial rule, global terrorism, etc.).

Sure. Easiest way would have been an "A5" to include India.

The problem with that sort of post war world is that it tends to be a bit too "happily ever after". Things could have been much worse ATL post war (all that was really needed to get there is to do nothing and map OTL into the ATL, with all the failed states post colonial rule, global terrorism, etc.).

The A4 always struck me as sort of a "Anglo man's burden" attitude towards the rest of the world.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The A4 always struck me as sort of a "Anglo man's burden" attitude towards the rest of the world.
Less that and more "NOT going through that bullshit again, not going to happen!".

The A4 really doesn't give a crap how folks run their own territory, provided there is no Genocide involved. They have made a couple exceptions, the biggest being South Africa (which was done hand in hand with the Indians), but overall they could care less. They did very much lock up all the resources they thought would be useful, but the leases were at or above going market rate.

The A4 isn't anywhere as pure as the people of the countries like to self visualize, but the ATL is generally a better place, on average, that OTL (with the glaring exception of China).

How difficult was it to reintegrate the fanatical Waffen SS troops who survived the war back into society?
Given that many fought to the death, I doubt many survived the war. As IIRC Calbear said as one point those SS troops that were taken prisoner were to badly wounded to fight back or take their own life. Once they woke up in Western Allied hospitals they had to be tied down. So my hunch is only a few survived and they had to spend years in mental wards.

nbcman

Donor
How difficult was it to reintegrate the fanatical Waffen SS troops who survived the war back into society?
This was mentioned earlier by the Author:
Any thoughts on what happened to German POW's ? Were they forced back to what used to be Germany or were they allowed to remain in the countries were they were held ?
Some were allowed to remain in the country were they were being held, mainly in Canada and Australia, but these were mainly pilots or submarine crewmen, along with some of the cannon fodder the Commonwealth swept up as it advanced through Eastern Europe from the Black Sea.

Most of the Waffen SS troops were sent from PoW cages straight into rehabilitation centers (read: Reeducation Camps) located on German soil. The SS troopers are so heavily indoctrinated that they can't even be allowed to mix with German civilians who surrendered since they are, in the PoW's eyes, traitors to the Reich.

EDIT: Plus there probably weren't many of the SS troops left:

What about remaining German forces in Eastern Europe, are there any left?

There are some isolated Waffen SS led units that have ignored the reality following the Schmidt capitulation. These include some fairly substantive formation up to battalion sized that are continuing to resist.

The lucky formations who haven't surrendered will eventually fall to Allied troops. The unlucky ones (and that will be the overwhelming majority) will be handled by irregular units.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.