The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Shameless promotion (mainly because folks have asked this question a lot)

AANW is now available in paperback (and has been properly proofread).

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Ah, cool that this TL still gets interest.

Will there be an update for the "stalemate" prequel TL soon?
It is about 3/4 done.

The good news is that it will be somewhat longer then the usual updates. The more I unpack in the chapter, the more shows up in the bag.

Congratulations on the paperback AANW!

On another note, I was musing over Western Alaska when I realized: since I presume the International Date Line hasn't been moved, it's separated from the rest of the United States by fourteen hours at best (Vladivostok - New York), and up to a full twenty-four (across the Bering Strait). I suppose that's caused the normal problems, and people have just tried to work around it?

Meanwhile, what's the US - Chinese border like? I suppose it's one of the best-guarded borders in the world?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Congratulations on the paperback AANW!

On another note, I was musing over Western Alaska when I realized: since I presume the International Date Line hasn't been moved, it's separated from the rest of the United States by fourteen hours at best (Vladivostok - New York), and up to a full twenty-four (across the Bering Strait). I suppose that's caused the normal problems, and people have just tried to work around it?

Meanwhile, what's the US - Chinese border like? I suppose it's one of the best-guarded borders in the world?
The U.S. had some issues with Western Alaska's time difference, but it wasn't huge (IOTL Guam 21 hours ahead of East Coast time) so a bit weird, but not terrible. People who have the big issue are the TV networks, screws with their schedules something fierce.

The U.S./China ATL border makes a combined version of the Berlin Wall and the Korean DMZ look like the U.S./Canadian border (which mainly consists of a 6 meter/20' strip of ground where the trees are kept cleared). The Chinese have, over the years, built up a "dead zone" extending back several kilometers, supposedly to prevent "U.S. aggression", but all the razor wire on the multiple layers of fencing are angled toward China, and about 80% of the watch towers only have observation and firing slits facing the in the direction of China. The strip is heavily mined on the Chinese side, much less so on the U.S. side, where the defenses are more tripwire in nature than designed to stop a massive invasion and this has become increasingly the case as "city-killer" kinetic energy weapons have begun to replace nuclear weapons as the first line strategic systems.

The place that REALLY has impressive defensive fortifications is Hong Kong. The British, having lost the place once to the Japanese, have sort of taken the "indefensible" territory and defended it to a fairly remarkable degree. Assuming the UK (or A4) didn't go WMD the Colony could be taken, but it would, conservatively, cost any attacker north of half a million casualties. The Cabal, for its part, has dedicated enormous resources to ensuring that none of its citizens are tempted to head into the Territory.

BTW: here is a photo of the U.S. Canadian border. This sort of gap runs the entire non urban/suburban length of the Border.

New-Canada-US-Border-Rules-To-Be-Announced-777x437.png

The U.S. had some issues with Western Alaska's time difference, but it wasn't huge (IOTL Guam 21 hours ahead of East Coast time) so a bit weird, but not terrible. People who have the big issue are the TV networks, screws with their schedules something fierce.

The U.S./China ATL border makes a combined version of the Berlin Wall and the Korean DMZ look like the U.S./Canadian border (which mainly consists of a 6 meter/20' strip of ground where the trees are kept cleared). The Chinese have, over the years, built up a "dead zone" extending back several kilometers, supposedly to prevent "U.S. aggression", but all the razor wire on the multiple layers of fencing are angled toward China, and about 80% of the watch towers only have observation and firing slits facing the in the direction of China. The strip is heavily mined on the Chinese side, much less so on the U.S. side, where the defenses are more tripwire in nature than designed to stop a massive invasion and this has become increasingly the case as "city-killer" kinetic energy weapons have begun to replace nuclear weapons as the first line strategic systems.

The place that REALLY has impressive defensive fortifications is Hong Kong. The British, having lost the place once to the Japanese, have sort of taken the "indefensible" territory and defended it to a fairly remarkable degree. Assuming the UK (or A4) didn't go WMD the Colony could be taken, but it would, conservatively, cost any attacker north of half a million casualties. The Cabal, for its part, has dedicated enormous resources to ensuring that none of its citizens are tempted to head into the Territory.

BTW: here is a photo of the U.S. Canadian border. This sort of gap runs the entire non urban/suburban length of the Border.
Details like this border stuff really make the world of AANW come alive.

Just asking, are the Chinese measures towards preventing defection to Hong Kong just their usual "unbelievable levels of repression and military force", or something more interesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.