The Anglo/American - Nazi War - The on-going mystery

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I don't know, I think a lot of us would love a fraction of the response and interaction your TL gets. I know I would.
We must be well over 100 different individuals whose fates have been requested.

It was a war that killed twice as many people as OTL WW II. Unicorns are not really very common.

It was a war that killed twice as many people as OTL WW II. Unicorns are not really very common.
I would just ignore those questions unless you're in the mood.

Worldbuilding stuff, like how rebuilt cities look or who's in charge of tech and the like... that's interesting.

Or you could just say "they died." :p

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I would just ignore those questions unless you're in the mood.

Worldbuilding stuff, like how rebuilt cities look or who's in charge of tech and the like... that's interesting.

Or you could just say "they died." :p
I did.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
How about that tidbit about Molotov's great-granddaughter discreetly moving to the Tsarist Republic? What's her story? Why would she leave the safety and comfort of Switzerland for Russia given the stigma of her family name?
Home's home.

brooklyn99

Banned

Truth be told. I'd say that this particular formula of inquiring is a major reason for why discussion and interest in the TL has been sustained for a decade straight.

Moscow - As noted, it looks like a bunch of Community College buildings and dorms.

Saint Petersburg "the City of Heroes" - Denver or any modern city that has largely been rebuilt (or transitioned from small town with big city) in the last half century. More or less rebuilt from the Ground Up. Has enough space that you don't have the extreme high rise construction of places like Manhattan or Singapore.
Other good equivalents for them could be Islamabad, Chandigarh, Abuja, or Brasilia as well, considering they were literally artificial capitals built from scratch by fairly poor countries.

Other good equivalents for them could be Islamabad, Chandigarh, Abuja, or Brasilia as well, considering they were literally artificial capitals built from scratch by fairly poor countries.

And probably Poland and Russia were even in worse condition with many way. Just imaginate post-communist Albania or Moldova. And Poland and Russia were probably even worse. Poles and Russia had literally build their countries from scratch.

Truth be told. I'd say that this particular formula of inquiring is a major reason for why discussion and interest in the TL has been sustained for a decade straight.
I think a lot of the people asking really do need it pounded home that 'mass deaths' aren't just 'mass deaths of NPCs' but that real people with significance to them are going to bite it in such a scenario.

I don't think they're all kids, but some of them are, and the idea that death is a full stop at the end of a human sentence hasn't quite registered yet.

I think a lot of the people asking really do need it pounded home that 'mass deaths' aren't just 'mass deaths of NPCs' but that real people with significance to them are going to bite it in such a scenario.

I don't think they're all kids, but some of them are, and the idea that death is a full stop at the end of a human sentence hasn't quite registered yet.
Another issue is that they assume because someone was famous or great IOTL surely they must have made something of their life regardless of the world being completely different with almost 200 million people dying and almost 150 million people serving in the military. People are incapable of imagining anything other than the status quo. In another universe (assuming they were still born) your favorite author ended up a manager at Waffle House, your favorite actor overdosed on drugs and died next to a dumpster, your favorite singer was paralyzed in a car accident, your favorite politician died from shrapnel in some obscure firefight and your favorite TV show never made it past the pilot. Nothing is set in stone and no one is sacred.
Not sure why you bother anymore CalBear, must get tedious.
I’ve never made a TL (though I’ve created fictional universes and stories) but I would have stopped when the first thread hit 500 pages since by that point it had been over 200 pages since the last official chapter (now it’s over 330 including this thread). This would be for no other reason than everything has already been discussed and answered and there’s no obligation by the author to answer questions ad infinitum.

Pardon me if this has been answered already, Calbear, I can't help but wonder, did Greece and its monuments survive the Great Nazi Burn? Given the Germans explicitly went out of their way to spitefully destroy European cultural & historical heritage as they fell, you'd think places like the Parthenon, Olympia, Epidaurus, Knossos, Mt. Athos e.t.c. would be pretty high on the shit-list.

Same goes for the bits of Hellenistic and Roman ruins across the Adriatic, Romania and Crimea.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Another issue is that they assume because someone was famous or great IOTL surely they must have made something of their life regardless of the world being completely different with almost 200 million people dying and almost 150 million people serving in the military. People are incapable of imagining anything other than the status quo. In another universe (assuming they were still born) your favorite author ended up a manager at Waffle House, your favorite actor overdosed on drugs and died next to a dumpster, your favorite singer was paralyzed in a car accident, your favorite politician died from shrapnel in some obscure firefight and your favorite TV show never made it past the pilot. Nothing is set in stone and no one is sacred.

I’ve never made a TL (though I’ve created fictional universes and stories) but I would have stopped when the first thread hit 500 pages since by that point it had been over 200 pages since the last official chapter (now it’s over 330 including this thread). This would be for no other reason than everything has already been discussed and answered and there’s no obligation by the author to answer questions ad infinitum.
I continued the thread with Ver 2.0 because there was a LOT of interest. It is sometimes difficult to deal with the "what happened to person XXX" simply because I had no thought about Person XXX while writing the T/L notr in the time since.. Most of the time I need to look them up and come up with a reasonable answer. Germans are fairly easy. Military age tend to be KIA or WIA, same for Russians; although it is not 100% in either case.

I have too noticed that people don't really realise that war which lasts twenty years which include most horrible genocides what humanity has ever seen and most horrible war what you can imaginate with 1950's technology. And tha3t war has killed 200M people and millions were drafted which changed their life totally. It is totally inevitable that many OTL famous people would are killed in war or even if they survives, their lives would are totally different. Many could are politicians/actors(movie directors/singers/sport atheltes etc. have totally different career. People who wer famous in OTL are not desitned to become famous. Many OTL people could had became totally non-relevant and not-famous quiet easily. In the world where CPs win WW1 we probasbly wouldn't heard about Hitgler, FDR and Churchill. It is too quiet possible that could be famous in OTL dies early in another universe. If for example Hitler would had been killed in WW1 no one wouldn't had heard about him. He would be just name on some memorial plate.

And with these endless questions about what did happen to someone famous European Jew/Pole/Russian/Czech is totally irrelevant. When 97 % of European Jews were killed, something like 60 % of Poles and Czechs and 70 % of Russians were killed what you would think being fates of Elie Wiesel, Anne Frank (who even didn't survive in OTL), Lech Walesa, Václav Havel, Gorbachev, Putin or Yeltsin? Nothing fun.

And same thing is with parents grandparents of famous people. Their lives would are totally different. These parents probably wouldn't even meet each others.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Pardon me if this has been answered already, Calbear, I can't help but wonder, did Greece and its monuments survive the Great Nazi Burn? Given the Germans explicitly went out of their way to spitefully destroy European cultural & historical heritage as they fell, you'd think places like the Parthenon, Olympia, Epidaurus, Knossos, Mt. Athos e.t.c. would be pretty high on the shit-list.

Same goes for the bits of Hellenistic and Roman ruins across the Adriatic, Romania and Crimea.
Greece did pretty well. Some damage of course, but a lot of that was due to combat and not straight up vandalism. The main European Peninsula was where things were really obliterated.