The Anglo/American - Nazi War - The on-going mystery

This is probably most what neopaganism could manage to be. Even nazi regime is not able to enforce the new faith to whole German population.
They were able to get the generation growing up under their rule to make the IJA look sane, so many of them becoming neo-pagans as well wouldn't be far-fetched.

brooklyn99

Banned
@CalBear Another nitpick, but what was the fate of Puyi, the emperor of Manchukuo? OTL Mao decided to make a propaganda coup by "reforming" Puyi into a Communist. Chiang OTOH did express the desire to have Puyi executed. So I'm wondering whether Puyi's life had been cut short or just how did he fare?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@CalBear Another nitpick, but what was the fate of Puyi, the emperor of Manchukuo? OTL Mao decided to make a propaganda coup by "reforming" Puyi into a Communist. Chiang OTOH did express the desire to have Puyi executed. So I'm wondering whether Puyi's life had been cut short or just how did he fare?
His Japanese "allies" made sure he was not dishonored by capture.

They were very supportive for those sorts of things.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
And what of Park Chung-hee? At the time, he was serving in Manchuria under the Japanese.
Never gave him the slightest thought. Kwantung Army losses were not that much worse than IOTL, although different division took the brunt of the fighting.

brooklyn99

Banned
Never gave him the slightest thought. Kwantung Army losses were not that much worse than IOTL, although different division took the brunt of the fighting.
Understandable. I asked because Park's rule over South Korea had some long-lasting affects in the modern day, with his style of corporatism paving the way for the ascendancy of chaebols the most famous being Samsung.

But what about Kim il-sung and Kim Jong-il? Is there anything regarding these OTL rulers of North Korea?

brooklyn99

Banned
Given the defeat of their Soviet patron, I don't think they will get much influence in Korea, especially given China, Mongolia and the Russian Far East are under US influence.
Yes, it's a question of how they were affected by the changed history from the WAllied war effort in the Pacific spreading into North-East Asia to the 1960s alt-Korean war and onwards.

@CalBear, if I may ask, how's post-war Poland faring as a nation, primarily culturally and socially? If I remember correctly, they lost 85% of their population under Nazi rule.

That's a trauma that'll last for decades, and as far as I am aware, no nation in recent history has had such high proportional population losses... only OTL Belarus (as part of the USSR during WW2) and Cambodia come close, and they "merely" lost a quarter of their population compared to Poland being literally nearly annihilated as a nation.

Do they still hate the Germans to the present day? How did they react to the obliteration of Stettin?
Now, I personally consider it rather of an overreaction on part of the A4, but I can't help but imagine that some part of the Polish population might have derived pleasure from seeing the Germans getting smacked down harshly, which when one looks at the crime of the Nazi empire, is understandable if regrettable. Does this sentiment exist in OTL present-day Poland to some extent?

Another question, besides the US, what are this world's pop-culture exporters? India is an obvious candidate (world's largest economy + most populous democracy) Do Bollywood films make a splash in A4 cinemas?

What about other nations, especially the ones much richer ATL than OTL - has Vietnam or the Philippines[1] carved out some sort of cultural niche for themselves, in the vein of Japan's popular animation and video game industries, or South Korea's pop music, for example? Oh, and I've heard Latin America is richer too?

Lastly, how strong exactly is the Indian nuclear deterrent? Can their missiles reach US or British cities?

Sorry for the amount of questions - this is just really a very interesting world you made here!

[1] Correct me if I am wrong - but I read these two nations to have been the ATL equivalent of South Korea and Japan

Last edited:
Given the defeat of their Soviet patron, I don't think they will get much influence in Korea, especially given China, Mongolia and the Russian Far East are under US influence.

Kim Il Sung hadn't even lived in Korea for many years, and Kim Jr. was technically a Soviet-born Korean, which is hilarious challenged by the North Korean government, which insists that Kim's birth happened on Korea's highest mountain, as foretold by a swallow, a double rainbow, and a new star forming in the sky.

It's doubtful they could ever been seen as legitimate with the Soviets backing them, and with America providing Koreans oodles of aid.

brooklyn99

Banned
Having recently watched the film Legend (starring Tom Hardy) I realize that the infamous Kray twin would have been of perfect age to fight in the 50s phase of the war, both being born in 1933. @CalBear So what became of the Kray brothers, ATL?

Having recently watched the film Legend (starring Tom Hardy) I realize that the infamous Kray twin would have been of perfect age to fight in the 50s phase of the war, both being born in 1933. @CalBear So what became of the Kray brothers, ATL?
OTL they were AWOL for most of their national service so if called up they might try to skip out again. That said in an actual shooting war they'll either be told "serve or else," or go to the glasshouse for the duration. That should at least put the crimp on their rise to criminal power for a few extra years.

brooklyn99

Banned
Never even heard of them.
Really? Well, here in the UK these guys are remembered as perhaps the most well known figures in the history of the British criminal underworld. Probably comparable to Al Capone in the US somewhat.

In that case, is there anything to say regarding the fate of Kim Il-Sung and his son?

nbcman

Donor
Really? Well, here in the UK these guys are remembered as perhaps the most well known figures in the history of the British criminal underworld. Probably comparable to Al Capone in the US somewhat.

In that case, is there anything to say regarding the fate of Kim Il-Sung and his son?
Kim Il-Sung's fate was answered by the Author almost 10 years ago in this post:

Died in an insane asylum.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Ah, so quite a long time ago.

Curious to know more about the circumstances leading to him getting admitted to the loony bin, as well as his life beforehand (i,e, how did he fare during the Korean intervention).
And what about his son, Kim Jong il?
He was a f###ing nut bag. So was his kid (for that matter his hypothetical grandson would probably wind up with a 'Roo loose in his Upper Paddock).

I don't know if you've had the opportunity to read it, @CalBear, but if you have, I'm curious as to what the denizens of AANW would probably make of other TLs, such as Twilight of the Red Tsar?

Plausibility aside, I assume that the W/Allies would be greatly aghast at how a surviving Stalin unleashed atrocities that'd have given even TTL's Nazis a run for their money. Not to mention how it'd show that, whether it's Hitler or Stalin pulling the trigger, there's plenty of evil to go around regardless. :(

I don't know if you've had the opportunity to read it, @CalBear, but if you have, I'm curious as to what the denizens of AANW would probably make of other TLs, such as Twilight of the Red Tsar?

Plausibility aside, I assume that the W/Allies would be greatly aghast at how a surviving Stalin unleashed atrocities that'd have given even TTL's Nazis a run for their money. Not to mention how it'd show that, whether it's Hitler or Stalin pulling the trigger, there's plenty of evil to go around regardless. :(

It would just how really depressing the early 20th century was, that Stalin could come across as a good guy compared to Mr. Silly Stache.