The Anglo/American - Nazi War - The on-going mystery

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
THer
@CalBear Were there any German SS soldiers that did not fight like zerglings and willingly surrendered when the battle was lost? I would think that by 1959 after the December Attacks that at least a handful of them would surrender when the battle was lost. It's hard to believe that all German-SS soldiers would fight like rabid dogs/crazed maniacs. There's only so much brainwashing can do.

I mentioned earlier my imagined description of the POW camps occupied by Waffen-SS that were unwillingly captured. Is it accurate?
e were some SS troops who were less "loyal". They tended to be Austrian, Sudetenland Germans and other who were "Germanized".

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@CalBear, what happened to the Albanian jews? In OTL, quite a few European jews managed to flee to the country and the local population went out of its way to protect them, to the point there were more Jews in Albania at the end of the war than beforehand.

I know the country was under Italian/German occupation for decades, but i was curious to know if at least some of the jews survived
The Jews there had some survival (similar to Italy although for different reasons)

THer

e were some SS troops who were less "loyal". They tended to be Austrian, Sudetenland Germans and other who were "Germanized".
Makes sense, at one point in the TL a SS fortress is stormed with the surviving Germans all being Austrian conscripts. These SS troops feared the pure German SS more than the WAllies because of how psychotic they were.

It's a pity really that the Nazis turned Europe into a gargantuan NK-style murder cult, although even Kim Jong Un is saner than hitler ever was.

THer

What happened to the captured German SS personell after the war? The ones that were too hurt to continue fighting, or got captured by any reason?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
There were a series of war crime trials of course that resulted in a percentage of them receiving criminal senteces of one extent or another. There was some serious effortsmade to "deprogram" the others that wasso mewhat successful, although some of the most seriously indoctrinated men in the program figured out how to fool those treating them and were released too soon. These men tended to either go lone wolf or small group "werewolf" causing problems in the Statelets for years (the peacekeeping forces were not simply there to ensure that the treaty was honored, the SS who "went feral" hated their fellow German more than the Allied troops seeing those who had "moved on" as the worst sorts of traitors.

Some Waffen SS survivors had to be institutionalized for years, even for the remainder of their lives, to protect themselves and society.

It was worse than OTL's issues with Japanese holdout. With the Japanese there was often a chance that a surviving senior officer or family member could be found and "bring them in" with assurances that the Emperor had found their service to be above reproach and desired them to lay down their burdens. That didn't exist for the SS, they knew that Hiter was dead, that the Reich was destroyed, that the one thing they had been taught from childhood was their reason to exist was simply gone. It was, as is often the case ATL, tragic.

Calbear, there was this guy called Roberto Farinacci who was a strong pro german italian fascist. What happened to him? Did he try to flee to germany after italy switched sides?

He @CalBear, what kind of hit did the Soviet/Russian movie industry take during the second world war. And how was it's recovery post war?
Like almost everything else Russian, I presume that it was destroyed during and after the war. (I just assume roll a d6. If it comes up 1-3, they died in the war, if its a 4 they starved to death after, if its a 5 they were given to the Nazis as a slave, if it is a 6, they lived but had close family relatives who rolled 1-5)

Yes, I can't see Russian film industry being very great even yet in 2010's. There probably is some movie makers but you barely can speak about movie industry.

Generally European movie industry hardly is in good condition. Definitely German movie industry is dead. Probably in 2020's most notable European movie makers are Brits, Spaniards and Italians. Finns and Swedes are second ranked makers.

A nitpick I have is that in one part of the story, Erich Von Manstein is said to refer to the SS as "schiesekoffen". I presume Calbear is combining the expletory "scheisse" with "kopf" (head) to create the German equivalent of "s***heads", which would be an endearing name to the Waffen-SS. As far as I have heard, you can't combine those two words in German to form an insult unlike in English, but this is going of some playing with translators and an Urban Dictionary post. Wouldn't Manstein refer to them as "Scheißkerlen" instead? Perhaps a German-speaker or Calbear could elaborate.

Damn, we're running out of stuff to talk about that now we're talking about what Manstein would derogatorily call the SS. Perhaps his diary alone convinces the WAllies not to have him swinging by the noose. ;)

Last edited:
More triumphalism is one route it could take, yeah, but it could also be a lot grimmer and more mournful - TTL’s war lasted an extra fifteen years and consumed truly enormous sums of money, quantities of resources, and created tremendous numbers of dead and maimed, all above and beyond OTL’s Second World War.

I doubt the steely-jawed superhuman heroes of TTL’s comics page would ever allow the audience to forget or elide the millions of ordinary human beings who died or were crippled to rid the world of Nazism. People would picket the publisher’s offices for that.

The idea of a hero making his way through Eastern Europe and managing *small* victories *maybe*, Not zorro, but someone changing his name and face repeatedly...

@CalBear the largest alternatehistory channel in youtube, "Alternatehistoryhub" just mentioned your works in their video

Check at 37:42
I honestly dislike the lack of effort put into describing it as the “12th alternate ww2 TL” in comparison to the (comparatively) gargantuan amount of time dedicated towards “For All Time”. For All Time is a great TL but AANW is probably the best Axis-victory TL out there, as its impeccable research shows the utter insanity of Nazi plans for Europe. He’d be better off explaining the Anglo-American Nazi War in a completely separate video. In fact, the entire video is nothing but a complete waste of effort as it’s barely skimming the surface of ATLs.

I honestly dislike the lack of effort put into describing it as the “12th alternate ww2 TL” in comparison to the (comparatively) gargantuan amount of time dedicated towards “For All Time”. For All Time is a great TL but AANW is probably the best Axis-victory TL out there, as its impeccable research shows the utter insanity of Nazi plans for Europe. He’d be better off explaining the Anglo-American Nazi War in a completely separate video. In fact, the entire video is nothing but a complete waste of effort as it’s barely skimming the surface of ATLs.
I don't think it's realistic to expect a video for every topic mentioned in the video.
Aswell, he gave sum ups so viewers may seekout and read these stories on thier own. So I really wouldn't call it a lack of effort imo

I don't think it's realistic to expect a video for every topic mentioned in the video.
Aswell, he gave sum ups so viewers may seekout and read these stories on thier own. So I really wouldn't call it a lack of effort imo
I would agree to disagree to some extent.

As an alternate history channel with a fair amount of popularity, he can do much service in promoting the best alternate history TLs from this website or any other website instead of making commentary videos about current events. Then again, I'm not a Youtuber and he is free to run his channel as he pleases.

Did he mention Kentucky Fried Politics? It's a somewhat optimistic TL in which Colonel Sanders becomes president and a lot of stuff changes in many ways for the better (North Korea collapses and doesn't exist, The Vietnam War is won through SpecOps and an invasion of the north, Cuba is noncommunist and democratic through a US invasion, ERA is ratified and CR is somewhat better, etc.)

Some things about TTL are somewhat unrealistic (Hitler having a moment of competence and not throwing away 250,000 troops into a doomed mission in North Africa and winning Stalingrad) but reality itself is sometimes unrealistic. North Korea surviving as a hermit kingdom into the present day when by all intents and purposes they should've collapsed by now being the most prominent ASB example imo.