The Anglo/American - Nazi War - The on-going mystery

Hey @CalBear, how much troops does China have compared to the AT? OTL North Korea has 5% of it's population serving in the military, so does TTL China yield a similar number in terms of men in arms? Also how is general women's rights around the world (the A4, Japan, China, the Soviet Union and Russia, ect)?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Hey @CalBear, how much troops does China have compared to the AT? OTL North Korea has 5% of it's population serving in the military, so does TTL China yield a similar number in terms of men in arms? Also how is general women's rights around the world (the A4, Japan, China, the Soviet Union and Russia, ect)?
The Cabal had a large, but less than well equipped army.

Women's rights are good in the A4, and most of the "West". The Soviets have continued with their OTL policy which was a bizarre mix of excellent opportunity in the professions and otherwise treating women as PoS. Japan is very western. Tsarist Russian is much more traditional about gender roles, but that began to change in the mid 90s.

There's also another facto to consider: most of these soldiers are in labor units.

I’m guessing TTL’s China has large masses of people armed with whatever the AANW equivalent of the SKS is, and they’re effectively a peasant militia… but there are a whole hell of a lot of them. Albania might be a better model than North Korea, at least as far as military potential goes.

brooklyn99

Banned
The Cabal had a large, but less than well equipped army.

Women's rights are good in the A4, and most of the "West". The Soviets have continued with their OTL policy which was a bizarre mix of excellent opportunity in the professions and otherwise treating women as PoS. Japan is very western. Tsarist Russian is much more traditional about gender roles, but that began to change in the mid 90s.
About Central Asia. I believe they were part of the rump USSR during the warm war so how did they fare under the Molotov regime? Were the people there subjected to forced labour transfers to Germany too? How does the region look in modern times?

I can imagine women's rights being... nightmarish in TTL China.

One thing I wondered, but what did actually happen to Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Maldives ?
I do know they are stable, but are they just unremarkable and richer here due to richer India or just something else ?
Is Nepal still a monarchy ?
Bhutan exile its Nepalis like OTL, which i presume they didn't due to a much more negative views against ethnic conflicts
Did Sri Lanka go through its brutal civil war ? Or was it all stopped.

Last edited:
Tsarist Russia is much more traditional about gender roles, but that began to change in the mid 90s.
I'd certainly expect all the non-Soviet Slavic states to be very traditional about gender roles due to their desperate need to rebuild their populations: why did that change exactly in the mid 90s?

@CalBear Throughout WW2 IOTL, American men with flat feet were disqualified from the draft, ostensibly due to concerns over tendency towards injury but often because flat feet were seen as signs of being inferior or "low class" according to one article. IOTL it wasn't until the 21st century when asymptomatic flat footers were allowed to serve in the military and there are still some areas they can't serve (at least according to that same article). Were flat footers barred from service entirely during the Hot War? Or did the US armed forces wise up enough to have them at least be able to serve as REMFs knowing that manpower was precious?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@CalBear Throughout WW2 IOTL, American men with flat feet were disqualified from the draft, ostensibly due to concerns over tendency towards injury but often because flat feet were seen as signs of being inferior or "low class" according to one article. IOTL it wasn't until the 21st century when asymptomatic flat footers were allowed to serve in the military and there are still some areas they can't serve (at least according to that same article). Were flat footers barred from service entirely during the Hot War? Or did the US armed forces wise up enough to have them at least be able to serve as REMFs knowing that manpower was precious?
As the war continued 4F were reevaluated regularly and many previously ineligible were reclassified as 1A (restricted). 1A restricted were inducted put through whatever level of physical training they could handle (unsurprisingly a lot of "flat feet" turned out to be pretty much 100% capable) and used in either support roles or, if further examination indicated into "combat slots" like radio operators or gunners on aircraft. Not going to say that the bottom of the barrel was reached, but there were serious discussions about drafting women for Stateside clerical duties (this was avoided by a big push to get women to join the "WAC" to fill those same slots). There were not a lot of 100% male personnel who managed to spend the entire war shuffling papers in the local Armory (where a lot of draftees wound up IOTL and not necessarily by choice, Green Machi9ne says "go here" and you go).

What happened to Sakhalin/Karafuto?

I'm guessing it's almost certainly part of West Alaska, but is the island itself known as "Sakhalin" (perhaps anglicized to "Sahalin"), as "Karafuto", or with a completely new American name?

And what is its ethnic composition?

I'd certainly expect all the non-Soviet Slavic states to be very traditional about gender roles due to their desperate need to rebuild their populations: why did that change exactly in the mid 90s?

Actually Rwandan genocide lead to Rwanda being fairly progressive in relation to gender equality, so this may be the case for post-Nazi Eastern Europe as well.

What happened to Sakhalin/Karafuto?

I'm guessing it's almost certainly part of West Alaska, but is the island itself known as "Sakhalin" (perhaps anglicized to "Sahalin"), as "Karafuto", or with a completely new American name?

And what is its ethnic composition?

I don't remember all details of this TL but wouldn't Japan keep Southern Sakhalin since Soviets wer knocked out from the war before defeat of Japan?

Pretty certainly Japan would keep Southern Kurilles.

Hey @CalBear, what happened to the Ku Klux Klan during and after the war? Did they dismantle with public prejudice or are they a infinitesimal shell of their former selves?

We in OTL are very lucky because something similar to AANW could have very easily happened had Nazies avoided a few very obvious blunders!
This is the scariest and darkest TL on AH.com because it could have easily happened.

Actually Rwandan genocide lead to Rwanda being fairly progressive in relation to gender equality, so this may be the case for post-Nazi Eastern Europe as well.
I'm not sure Rwanda would be a reasonable analogy, given that their genocidal regime was home-grown while the Nazis genociding Slavs (in OTL and more so in TTL) were foreign invaders.

Indeed given that the Rwandan genocide can very plausibly be blamed on overpopulation, perhaps the Rwandans see feminism as a way to reduce the risk of a repeat by limiting population growth?