The Americans Stay Strong in St. Louis: The History of the St. Louis Americans of the NHL

I have an idea:

The league should see about partnering with NBC or CBS to launch Monday Night Hockey in the 70s
They have their current deal with CBS till 1962-63. Was going to bring it up in the next chapter that if the NHL-WHL merger goes through then they will work a deal with CBS for their own Wednesday Night Hockey telecast (or Mondays depending on what I feel is the best) and give them a new contract till the 1969-70 Season. Hopefully, I can get the next chapter up soon but had to stop due to getting sick again.

Question: Should I do the season review for the WHL till said merger? Would like to know so I could work on that as well?

They have their current deal with CBS till 1962-63. Was going to bring it up in the next chapter that if the NHL-WHL merger goes through then they will work a deal with CBS for their own Wednesday Night Hockey telecast (or Mondays depending on what I feel is the best) and give them a new contract till the 1969-70 Season. Hopefully, I can get the next chapter up soon but had to stop due to getting sick again.

Question: Should I do the season review for the WHL till said merger? Would like to know so I could work on that as well?
Sure. You also probably are going to have to see the league expand into some big East and Midwest markets left behind though, lest the WHA grabs them

Such as Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington D.C, Buffalo, and Minneapolis,

Sure. You also probably are going to have to see the league expand into some big East and Midwest markets left behind though, lest the WHA grabs them

Such as Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington D.C, Buffalo, and Minneapolis,
Haven't thought about the WHA too much. Though the OTL Cincinnati Stingers and Houston Aeros are apart of this league for now. (could change later once I get to the WHA teams announcement)

Philadelphia and Buffalo may go to the WHA but Washington D. C. will still be an NHL city (already decided their fate while writing the series plot line (which needs a v. 2 now due to wanting to update it again.)

Minneapolis is an odd case as the North Stars will still happen but the WHA will still have the Minnesota Fighting Saints as well. I already decided the outcome while working on the plot line and I want to see if I can keep it as is for said city.

Haven't thought about the WHA too much. Though the OTL Cincinnati Stingers and Houston Aeros are apart of this league for now. (could change later once I get to the WHA teams announcement)

Philadelphia and Buffalo may go to the WHA but Washington D. C. will still be an NHL city (already decided their fate while writing the series plot line (which needs a v. 2 now due to wanting to update it again.)

Minneapolis is an odd case as the North Stars will still happen but the WHA will still have the Minnesota Fighting Saints as well. I already decided the outcome while working on the plot line and I want to see if I can keep it as is for said city.
I see

Who says the WHA has to form this time? The NHL-WHL merger may lead to a more expansionist NHL.

As for the WHL season updates, do them just so we get a feel for the players and teams that are joining.

Who says the WHA has to form this time? The NHL-WHL merger may lead to a more expansionist NHL.

As for the WHL season updates, do them just so we get a feel for the players and teams that are joining.
WHA isn't till the 70s. So I have no need to get to it now.

I'm gonna try doing that but for now, I still need to get the next chapter done. Hopefully, tomorrow or Monday will be when it is uploaded.

WHA isn't till the 70s. So I have no need to get to it now.

I'm gonna try doing that but for now, I still need to get the next chapter done. Hopefully, tomorrow or Monday will be when it is uploaded.
And that was a mistake saying that. Hopefully the next chapter will be uploaded soon as I have the first part of it done. I need to find time to get back to work.

Chapter 8: The Amerks almost made it, till the Canadians came knocking.
Chapter 8: The Amerks almost made it, till the Canadians came knocking.

Fred Hunt's first season as head coach is a time of massive changes. Knowing that he wanted a young team, veterans like Paul Gladu and Jim McFadden were traded for newer talent. Those included were J. C. Tremblay and Jack McIntyre who called up some of his Flyers players like Bob Solinger and goalie Don Rigazio to help Lorne “Gump” Worsley in the net. Despite some changes in the AHL team, the St. Louis Flyers still had forward Eddie Shack who did well the last three seasons for the team. Both the Amerks and Flyers were looking for a championship run.

Montreal was dealing with some sad news, the legend himself was retiring after the season. Maurice Richard announced that due to the injuries from the last several seasons finally build-up and felt he has done all. He would play this season but was limited on the ice.

NHL 1959-60 Regular Season:
Final Standings:
  1. Montreal Canadiens
  2. Cleveland Barons
  3. Chicago Black Hawks
  4. Detroit Red Wings
  5. St. Louis Americans
  6. Boston Bruins
  7. New York Rangers
  8. Toronto Maple Leafs

St. Louis's first season under Fred Hunt was a moderate success for the team. Despite failing to reach the playoffs the team was showing improvements by season end. They would have made it in but Detroit managed to sneak past them with a 10-game winning streak over St. Louis's 7-game streak. They would lose their last game to Richards Montreal Canadiens, officially ending their season with another no postseason.

Cleveland was knocked off from the first place by Montreal in early March and Montreal would keep first by season end. The Barons were working towards another cup run even though a last-minute injury struck them to Willie O’Ree and two of their top defensemen.

NHL Playoffs:
Detroit def. Cleveland (4-2)
Montreal def. Chicago (4-0)

NHL Stanley Cup Finals:
Detroit defeated Montreal (4-3)

NHL Stanley Cup Champions:
Detroit Red Wings

NHL Awards:
Prince of Wales Trophy: Montreal Canadiens
Art Ross Trophy: Bobby Hull (Chicago)
Calder Memorial Trophy: Bill Hay (Chicago)
Hart Trophy: Maurice Richard (Montreal)
James Norris Memorial Trophy: Doug Harvey (Montreal)
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: J. C. Tremblay (St. Louis)
Vezina Trophy: Jacques Plante (Montreal)

Despite losing in the finals at Detroit, Maurice Richard and the Canadiens were still given a hero’s welcome by the City of Montreal. Montreal would still be considered a powerhouse in the NHL but with The Rocket retired, it will be a while before they return to greatness. Meanwhile, NHL President Clarance Campbell has been in talks with the Western Hockey League officials about a possible merger. While the WHL was worried about the smaller clubs will be thrown aside to bigger market teams like the Los Angeles Blades and San Francisco Seals. Clarence would reassure them that they will be welcomed in. Even if they didn’t they will have homes in the AHL as the American Hockey League was looking to expand westward.

Knowing that the WHL couldn’t compete with the NHL but could benefit from the growth and more national television time on CBS, agreed and joined forces. The WHL will officially be merged into the NHL by the 1962-63 season at the latest.

Teams like the Los Angeles Blades, San Francisco Seals, Seattle Totems, Vancouver Canucks, and Denver Centennials (Formally the Victoria Cougars) were looking to join while Portland and Spokane were a bit worried. Edmonton, meanwhile, facing payment issues and the loss of the lease to the Edmonton Gardens announced they would fold. A junior hockey club bearing the same name will continue the team name then onward.

WHL 1959-60 Final Standings:
  1. Los Angeles Blades
  2. Seattle Totems
  3. San Francisco Seals (Won League Championship)
  4. Denver Centennials
  5. Portland Buckaroos
  6. Vancouver Canucks
  7. Spokane Comets
  8. Edmonton Oil Kings

(Any Questions or Comments would be nice. Glad I finally managed to get this one out, hope it looks good. Maybe now I can get back into this series.)

Last edited:
Good update. I'm curious to see if the NHL will absorb all the teams amicably or not and with the Oil Kings folding, if the NHL would want uneven teams at this point in time.

I have a solution to the Edmonton issue, an expansion team in either Kansas City or Dallas can take their place in the WHL. Dallas DID have an 8,000 seat arena at the time

Spokane relocates post merger but keeps an AHL team in the city

Last edited:
I have a solution to the Edmonton issue, an expansion team in either Kansas City or Dallas can take their place in the WHL. Dallas DID have an 8,000 seat arena at the time

Spokane relocates post merger but keeps an AHL team in the city
What was Dallas arena at the time?