The Amalingian Empire: The Story of the Gothic-Roman Empire

It's really cool (and inspiring) to see your TL back when I've been considering rebooting my own Gothic TL. They're such an interesting people, with a fascinating language and culture that has been hugely influential yet largely forgotten IOTL. All the best and good luck with this, I'll definitely be having a closer read when I get around to rebooting Wolves of the Steppe. After all, your writing style is, in my eyes at least, far superior.

It's really cool (and inspiring) to see your TL back when I've been considering rebooting my own Gothic TL. They're such an interesting people, with a fascinating language and culture that has been hugely influential yet largely forgotten IOTL. All the best and good luck with this, I'll definitely be having a closer read when I get around to rebooting Wolves of the Steppe. After all, your writing style is, in my eyes at least, far superior.

Dude! Thanks for the compliments, man! You should totally restart/reboot your "Wolves of the Steppe". I remember reading it and really enjoying it. The Goths are a far underutilized people on AH.com and need a lot more attention.

Holy Mackeral, it lives! I hope things are going better for you as well, after all this site is just a hobby and should take a backseat to actual ongoing events in the real world. That being said, I'm glad to see this coming back :D.

Holy Mackeral, it lives! I hope things are going better for you as well, after all this site is just a hobby and should take a backseat to actual ongoing events in the real world. That being said, I'm glad to see this coming back :D.

Thanks for all the kind words guys :) And no worries, if I can get my first paper published (and I've got another research project I'm toying around with as well) everything should work out fine. I've been told a lot more doors open up after publication, and, even more so, I think having one or two under my belt will help me stand out in the next round of PhD apps. (Because, of course I will try again: when I set my mind to a goal, I'm not easily dissuaded.)

I just wanted to give this a little bump, maybe get some new readers.

Thanks! I really am going to update this soon; I became busy with a movie to a new town (Milwaukee) and also putting the final touches on my first paper that's getting published.

Of course, seeing as how I've said I would update this before and has yet to do it, I understand if people are a bit less than impressed with my word at this point.

Thanks! I really am going to update this soon; I became busy with a movie to a new town (Milwaukee) and also putting the final touches on my first paper that's getting published.

Of course, seeing as how I've said I would update this before and has yet to do it, I understand if people are a bit less than impressed with my word at this point.

Oh no, I totally understand. Real life always come first. Both moving cities and being published are wayyy more important than an online story.

I am definitely looking forward to whenever you do get around to uploading , however.

Oh no, I totally understand. Real life always come first. Both moving cities and being published are wayyy more important than an online story.

I am definitely looking forward to whenever you do get around to uploading , however.

Thanks! I've been really mulling over my next update about Ireland and I keep getting stuck on it. I need to finish the final revisions of my paper, which I hope to do by Sunday and then I should be able to focus back on this.

At this rate, with my year-long lapses, I might be able to finish the story of the Amalung dynasty by the time I'm 40 :p

Chapter 38 Of Ri, Rautharing and Robes
Chapter 38

Of Ri, Rautharing and Robes

Iona, Kingdom of Gaelia

Dr. Adomnan Au’Domnal smiled at his students, his white teeth flashed and his wide face positively beamed with warmth. “I want to remind you all that we are not just visiting a historical site today, but an actual functioning Abby. I understand that not all of you hold to the Christian faith, and many more of you are not members of the Celtic church. That is fine; the monks of this abbey are used to hosting guests from a variety of backgrounds. But please remember that we are guests here, and that to the monks, as well as many of your fellow students, this is sacred ground. Please show the monks here the same respect and kindness that you would any visitors to your home to show to you.”

It was a well rehearsed speech, and one which he had made at least twice a year since he first began organizing trips to the Abby fifteen years before. Unfortunately, the speech was occasionally necessary; Saint Padraig’s University had a large percentage of foreign students, as would befit the most prestigious university in Gaelia, and such students had a tendency, unintentional of course, of showing less respect to the monks and their surroundings than was warranted. Actually, he thought, it was unfare to blame the foreign students, native Gaels could fall into the same traps just as easily; he had been forced to make the speech for the first time after several of his students had managed to dip into some of the monk’s famous whiskey.

“Dr. Au’Domnal,” a voice said, jarring him from his thoughts, “perhaps we should just tell them right now that anyone caught trying to steal whiskey will be immediately sent back to Carrickfergus and will have a long meeting with the school’s dean?

Dr. Au’Domnal’s smile, if it was possible, became even warmer. “Ah, yes, Neilub, I had felt that that was self evident, but maybe I should make it a bit clearer.”

He heard a snicker from the two other Lechian students in the group and suppressed a laugh of his own; Pękosława had made the mistake of telling him her child name over a few drinks at the campus bar, and he never wasted the opportunity to use it to irritate her.

Pękosława glared at him, and he would have been momentarily worried, if he hadn’t noticed the corner of her mouth twitching as if trying to suppress a smile. He beamed at her to rub it in, and was gifted by her expression becoming even more sour, if such a thing was possible. It was amazing the transformation that had come over the girl in the past year; from a shy and nervous young grad student, she was blossoming into a dedicated, determined and firy scholar and woman. Not for the first time, he found himself wondering how he would feel about her if he hadn’t been married, and what she might feel for him.

“As I said, we are guests here and will following the rules of the monks to the letter; if any student feels, now or later, that these are too stringent, I assure you that they are welcome to travel back to campus on their own dime. It wouldn’t be the first time, but I hope we have already seen the last. Do I make myself clear?”

The students all nodded their head in unison, a few looking noticeable shocked by the steel in the voice of their usuall amicable professor.’

“Well, good! Honestly, I think we are here to learn and have fun, preferably both at the same time, and I would prefer to focus my thoughts on that, rather than the negative. So,” he clapped his hands together, “good. Pękosława, have you let the abbot know we are here.”

“Yes, Dr. Au’Domnal, I called him when our ship reached the dock. He said he would meet us here.” She looked around, scanning the horizon, “he must be running a bit late.”

“Oh, that’s fine, that just gives me a bit more time to talk everyone’s ear off. So, as you all know, the plan is for the Abbot to give us a short lecture about the history of the Abby, and them for us to check in at the dormitories. Afterwards we’ve been invited to vespers with the monks,” he looked around at the group to see if any students sighed at the news, but was happy to see that they did not. “Its an honor, as I’m sure you’re aware, and quite beautiful. For those of you who are Arian or Orthodox, you’ll find them very interesting, I’m sure. For those of you who aren’t,” he looked over at Pękosława, “well, take it as a chance to acquaint yourself with the Christian faith in more detail! I hope no one feels uncomfortable about this, as one of the main points of this class is the study of the roots of the Celtic Church. We can’t spend all of our time going off about bloody Rauthering raids after all. Anyway, after vespers, we will eat dinner with the monks and then retire for the night. We’ve got a long day ahead of us tomorrow touring the island, so get a good night’s rest.”

“Dr. Au’Domnal?” one of the students raised his hand. It was Adam bin Bela, an Israeli student.

“Yes, Adam, what is it?”

“Well, I was just wondering. You’ve said before that this place is one of the most important places in the Northern world. I was just wondering … how? I mean, you’ve talked about how it was a center of learning and important to the development of Alclud, and I get that all. But why does that make it one of the most important places in the North?”

“A good question, actually, a very good one. You’re right, Iona was instrumental in the AlClud golden age, and it was also the target of one of the first Nordic raids before the coming of the Theut. But, you would be right if you said that there were learned men in Constantinople, Ravenna, had never heard of the place during the Restoration Era. The Pope in Rome did, but the Orthodox Church in the West during the 6th Century was still struggling to assert itself in an age of Gothic domination. So, what makes Iona so important?”

All of the students stared at him, no one dared to answer the question; even Pękosława was noticeably quiet.

“Because once monasteries like this dotted all of Europe from Ireland in the West, to Jaille in the South, and even into Saxony, although they were less successful there. There were even a few in Spania, as a matter of fact. The Monasteries were at the forefront of an intellectual and spiritual movement that did more to save civilization than the work of the Gothic emperors in Ravenna. And this one. Iona. Is one of the best preserved of its kind!” [FN1]

“But,” Adam said, “I thought that this was a Celtic Monastary? Aren’t Jaille and Spania Orthodox?”

“Yes! A good observation. This is a Celtic monastery today, and Jaile and Spania are both Orthodox as well. Can someone answer his question?” He shot a look at two of his Gaelic students who had rolled their eyes, “Ah, yes, Sheshebens?”

“Because the Celtic Church hadn’t developed yet; the shism wouldn’t occur until the 9th century, and so the Gaels were still Orthodox,” a small dark skinned girl answered in a forceful voice that belied her size.

Dr. Au’Domnal was impressed; Sheshebens was one of his few students from Mikeland that he had this semester, and the first from Anishinabster he had ever had.

“Very good,” he said, “although I would hesitate a bit about dating the the beginnings of the Celtic Church to the 9th Century. It was a gradual process and it’s hard to give an exact date. Still, that’s the gist of it.”

“Dr. Au’Domnal, I think the abbot is here,” Pękosława said and pointed to a solitary figure walking towards the dock.

“Ah! Thank you Pękosława. Well, if you will all just follow me, lets go meet our host and get a start to the day’s festivities.” Motioning the group forward, he waved at the Abbot. He had a feeling it was going to be a great trip.

Heavenly Robes and Bloody Blades: The Impact of Gaelia on Restoration Era Europe

By: Dr. Adomnan Au’Domnal

[Saint Padraig University Press, Carrickfergus, Kingdom of Gaelia, 1993]

Although no Gael, to our knowledge, took part in the events of 546 and 547, those years would prove monumental in the development of Gaelia and its impact upon Western Europe during the Restoration Age. As told by Wulila Strabo, in was in those years that Theodemir the Great, driven into a frenzy by the slaying of his eldest son and heir, launched his invasion of the Meroving kingdoms of Frankish Jaille. In the subsequent war, northern Jaille was devastated; its farms burned, livestock slaughtered and its communities put to the torch. As the survivors began to crawl from the wreckage they were cruelly struck by another foe; the Plague of Belisarius, which further decimated their numbers. So thorough was was the destruction that the district around the city of Paris still bares witness to it today; the region’s name Authia was derived from the Old Gothic word Authinda, meaning Wasteland. These events would have long lasting implications not only for Jaille itself, but for the British Isles, and Gaelia in particular.

Although not remembered with the vivid imagery as the burning of Paris, the destruction of the several key cities in northwestern Jaille severely disrupted the trade network which had connected the British Isles to the rest of Europe and the Roman world. These cities, of which Ameins and Rouen were only two, were some of the most important glass producers in all of Western Europe. Prior to the Scouring of the North, these cities were important trading centers that not only connected the British Isles to the continent but also drew Irish merchants as well as raiders. Their destruction undermined the entire trading network of the northwest. [FN2]

For years, Gaelic raiders had plagued the coasts of Westerm and Southern Britain, as well as the northern shores of Jaille. The destruction of the merchant cities of the region would have long standing repecutions throughout the British Isles. Based on archeological escavations, mainland Britain, already weakened by the Sexish invasions, suffered a longterm economic collapse. Escavated grave goods, as well as digs in the remains of Romano-British cities show that, beginning in the mid 6th century there was a noticeable dropoff in goods from the continent as well as a collapse of material wealth as the urban centers began to wither.

As the British economy imploded from being cut off from Europe, there was less wealth available for Gaelic merchants and pirates. Although small Gaelic settlements continued to exist in Cymru and AlClud, it appears that their raids into the Sexish lands began to tapper off by the final decades of the 6th century. Instead, the Gaels began to search further afield, turning their attention, initially, to Western Jaille and, with time, to Spania and even into the Mediterranean. Their efforts were slowed by the limited shipbuilding technology known in Gaelia at the time. The standard boats used throughout the island at the time was the currach; a wood framed boat covered in waterproof hides. Although these boats could be built large enough to carry several men and supplies, they made long distance raiding and trading expeditions difficult. A fleet of currachs would be forced to hug the coastline as they went from one target to another.

However, beginning in the late 6th century, the Gaels began to innovate with their designs. Some scholars have suggested they began to seek inspiration from the boats of the Sexish or even Gothic examples, this is a difficult thesis to prove. We know that wood-plank currachs began to be developed within the region on Connact and, after their introduction, Gaelic ships began to evolve at an exponential rate. By the first decades of the 7th century, the Gaels had begun production of currachs that were low keeled, operated well in the Atlantic Ocean, and could even begin making expeditions up the region’s rivers. Whereas Irish raiding had been an occasional occurance on seaports up to this point, with this development the interior of Jaille and Spania were suddenly opened up.

At the same time, the outbreak of the Fourth Punic War would make its impact felt in far off Gaelia. For a number of years, small bands of soldiers and warriors would sell their services throughout the Gothic-Roman Empire, usually to territorial governors or noblemen. The outbreak of the war suddenly created a market for soldiers and many Gaels rushed to ply their trade. Numerous Gaelic mercenaries fought on both sides of the conflict; Vandal and Gothic chronicles both make mention of them, as do a scattering of Gaelic accounts which have survived up to the modern day. In general, Gaels were renowned on both sides for their courage and strength in battle, but also their lack of discipline. Enough chronicalers of the era make positive comparisons between the Irish and the early Germanic tribesmen, that this must have been a stereotype well ingrained in the popular imagination at the time.

We don’t know exactly what happened, but it is easy to imagine that Gaelic mercenaries brought tales of the wealth of the Mediterranean world back to their island. These stories, coupled with the new shipbuilding designs and technologies caused raiders to venture further and further in the search for wealth and plunder. These raiders named themselves Rautherings, from the Gaelic word for raiding. Early targets were often smaller ports and towns. The Gaels would strike quickly, overwhelming the defenses of the community before the government was able to rally defenses. The Rautherings would also strike at monasteries. Although popular stories, especially those written during the Age of Yearning, have depicted noble Gaelic warriors striking at Arian monasteries while sparing Orthodox ones, this is to be doubted. Numerous accounts of the era, especially those recorded in the Orthodox hagiography, depicted raiders willing to strike at Orthodox religious institutions as well as Arian. There was one exception; very few Rautherings appeared willing to strike at the Orthodox monasteries which had been founded by fellow Gaels. In fact, Gaelic monasteries would often hire Rautherings for protection and to help police their lands.

As Rauthering raiders began to make their way throughout Western Europe, many other Gaels came for more peaceful purposes. Ever since the introduction of Christianity into Gaelia by St. Padraig, monasticism had developed into a vibrant subculture throughout Gaelia. Monasteries in Ireland were often built in secluded locations in small islands or in the countryside. They became centers of learning and culture throughout the island, as local noble families would send their children there to be educated. In time they began to accrue great wealth, which would eventually grow the ire and attention of the Norse in the pre-Theutish Era.

Beginning in the later 6th century, Irish monks began establishing monasteries throughout Britain and Jaille. At first, these monasteries were opposed by the Gothic rulers who feared that their influence would strengthen the Orthodox faithful within the Empire. However, as Gaels improved the land they settled on, these monasteries came to be seen as a boon to the Emperors and their servants. However, Gaelic Monasteries came under increased scrutiny by the Empire; conversion of Arian citizens by Orthodox Monks became punishable by the execution of the abbot and the expulsion of the order. Although there were a few notable accounts of this punishment being carrier out, they were few and far between. Instead, the Goths preferred to copy the success of the Gaels by encouraging their own monastic orders to follow the Gaelic example, but to meet the needs of Arian followers throughout the Empire.

As the Rauthering raiders became more successful throughout the 7th century, the wealth of the raiders began to undermine the traditional kingships of the island. Whereas traditional Irish kings, or Ri, were largely ceremonial in their power, those who were fueled by the wealth of their raids and conquest began to exert more real authority. Many traditional dynasties appear to have been overthrown during this era, while a few, such as the prominent Ui’Neil, took up rauthering themselves in order to cement their own authority and expand their wealth. Although the land would remain divided during this era and would never be fully unified prior to the Theutish invasions, we begin to see the concentration of wealth amongst members of the new nobility. Grave goods during this era show an increase of wealth and contact with the continent. Meanwhile, the beginnings of the first cities began to develop at important ports, trading cites, and around churches. Urban centers, such as Baile Átha Cliath and Carraig Fhearghais were in their infancy at the time. Meanwhile, the most prominent of the Rautherings employed bards to sing their glory throughout the land. Although these were initially done in poetic verse, Irish writing eventually developed a strong prose tradition; one of the first in all of Europe. The tales told would give rise to the Rauthering Cycle of Irish mythology, one of several traditional cycles of Irish myth that had survived to the modern era. Some of the stories, such as the Life of Brandon the Black, or the Bloody Raid of Bordeu would come to rival even the Cattle Raid of Cooley in importance to the Gaelic literary tradition. [FN3]

Meanwhile, the new seafaring tradition of the Gaelic people would cause explorers to set forth on missions to raid, explore and spread the Christian faith to new lands …

[FN1] Two points. Jaille is actually the development of Gallia in the ATL’s Gallic romance language. Also, this is not quite the same Iona from OTL as St. Columba was not born in the ATL. Instead it was one St. Dogmael that founded the monastery.

[FN2] The glass industry was as important in OTL as this passage describes. In our timeline it lasted up through the reign of the early Merovingians and drew the attention of Irish merchants and raiders. In the ATL, the wholesale destruction of the region by Theodemir has set it back centuries. This, naturally, has lead to a great disturbance of the trade networks that existed in OTL as well as the ATL.

[FN3] Although the Irish possessed a very well developed poetic tradition in the ATL as well as in OTL, prose writing became more popular throughout the land, creating some of the first prose literature in all of Europe, even beating out the Icelandic Sagas. In the ATL, the Cattleraid of Cooley (or, the Tain), would go on to become the greater Irish prose epic of the era. Its position is secure in the ATL as well. However the adventures of the Rautherings would lead to a rise of an entire new cycle of literature that does not exist in OTL. Much like Cycle of Kings, these stories include traditional Gaelic mythological elements, but are more rooted in reality than earlier cycles. The Life of Brandon the Black and the Bloody Raid of Boreu are two popular examples of this new cycle. They rival the Tain but never manage to fully overtake it … largely because I really, really, like the Tain :D

All right, my year long writers block is over. In that time, I got turned down for a PhD program, fired from a job, got several new jobs (freelance writing and teaching), lost some friends, found myself again, got my first article published in a historical journal, moved (from Fargo to Milwaukee!), dedicated myself to reapply and get into a bloody program THIS time, and many other life events. What I'm getting at, is that it was pretty damned crazy! :)

Anyway, throughout the period, this timeline was never far from my mind. Although I got stuck on this post about the developments of Ireland, I always planned on returning. And now I have.

I hope you remaining readers enjoyed it. Please feel free to ask any questions that you would like, and any feedback you feel like giving, I would be overjoyed to hear. Enjoy, and I apologize again for my long absence!

So the Irish have become Vikings? Nice! Though I wonder if there will still be Vikings anyway, with the mention of the Theutish.

Two things. I'm glad you're back and I greatly enjoyed the update.

Its great to be back; and I appreciate everyone being patient with me. Also, glad you enjoyed this update; it proved more difficult to write than I had initially intended. But, at long last, I have finally got around to explaining who the Rautherings were and set Ireland up for her developments throughout the rest of the timeline

So the Irish have become Vikings? Nice! Though I wonder if there will still be Vikings anyway, with the mention of the Theutish.

Yes, in a way. Although the Rautherings in the ATL are not as prolific as the Vikings in OTL. Their caurrachs are not as well developed as the the Viking longboat, for instance, and there are certainly population differences as well. There will certainly never be an Irish fleet sailing out to assault Constantinople in the ATL (although that would be an event!). However, the Rautherings are powerful enough to be a threat in the West and will happily take advantage of any instability within the Gothic Empire

Seconded
Is Iceland Irish TTL?

Well, it hasn't been considered yet, at this point in the TL. In OTL there is evidence that Iceland was initially discovered by Irish monks and hermits, before the Norse showed up to the settle the place. This hasn't happened yet in the ATL, but I think its pretty safe to assume it will. Now, whether this will lead to more large scale Irish settlement remains to be seen. However, in a previous post some while back I did list the Celtic speaking nations in the *modern period; a glance at that will show that the Gaels, or another Celtic speaking people, do go a-settling.

Well, it hasn't been considered yet, at this point in the TL. In OTL there is evidence that Iceland was initially discovered by Irish monks and hermits, before the Norse showed up to the settle the place. This hasn't happened yet in the ATL, but I think its pretty safe to assume it will. Now, whether this will lead to more large scale Irish settlement remains to be seen. However, in a previous post some while back I did list the Celtic speaking nations in the *modern period; a glance at that will show that the Gaels, or another Celtic speaking people, do go a-settling.

I wish I could find that list.