The Amalingian Empire: The Story of the Gothic-Roman Empire

Sorry for the delay on this.

Some Thoughts on the Evolution of Gothic in TTL

A) Writing out ATL Old Gothic

Whilst some argument can be made for some retention of the Gothic Alphabet in TTL since these Goths are now firmly in the Roman World instead of the periphery I can see them adopting the Roman Script.

Transcribing ATL Old Gothic is fairly similar to OTL modern transcription but with these particulars:
/kw/ would be written [qu]
/hw/ would be [hu]
Since the distinction of /j,w/ is much disputed OTL and not really distinguished the in Vulgar Romances we can be cautious and write them [i,u]
/ŋ/ in clusters would be written [n]
/θ/ may be maintained as
26px-Gothic_letter_thiuth.svg.png
but perhaps becoming [th] when lost. Some case can be made for borrowing [þ] from the AS dialects but any Latin will likely use [th] as they did for the AngloSaxons.

The 5 short vowels are fairly consistent with Roman [a, e, i, o, u] (cf [a, aí, i, aú, u] ).
The long vowels are trickier. Mostly I'd expect them to be doubled and subject to how strong Latin/Romance influences are - eg [ee, oo] vs [ei, ou]; /i:/ could variously be [i, ie, y].
Ironically in this TL it will be sorted out whether 6thC Gothic kept the /ai/ and /au/ dipthongs since the expected digraphs are used for /e, o/; they're often written [ái, áu] OTL where they could be used.

B) Phonological Changes

Whilst your notes indicate that a language called Gothic survives to modern ATL times I get the impression of ebb and flow, and bilingualism, across OTL North Italy before standardisation and demarcation sets in. This I think it worthwhile to consider the influence of Latin (incl Church Latin) and the regional Romance dialects [1]. Perhaps a good analogy could be the development of Old Franconian to Dutch; though the effect of Norman on Late Old English woudl also help.
So I see these phonological changes:

i) palatalisation of [c, g] /k, g/ before /i,j/ and most /e/ to /tʃ, dʒ/. Thus /ki, gi/ would be written (like Italian ;)) [chi, ghi].
ii) loss of /θ/ as a separate phoneme - elised medially and assimilated in clusters
iii) further fricatisation of medial [b, g] /β, ɣ/ to /v, h/
iv) "schwa-isation" and loss of unstressed vowels
v) loss of medial /h/

C) Grammatical Changes

As with other Germanic languages we will see regularisation of word order, levelling of the verb and noun cases, and creation of articles from determiners. How much depends on the influence of native and biligual Latin/Romance speakers. Do you want retention of the unique Class VII verbs? Dual tenses? etc

[1] Some form of Gallo/North-Italian will probably exist - perhaps as Veneto-Istrian or Illyrian?

Not being a linguist, I need some time to process this all, but thank you for sharing it. It's awesome!

With Old Gothic being spoken and written in church, there will be a tendancy to keep archaic forms in at least the written forms of later Gothic. It will be interesting to see how things go. Will the GBC broadcast in the written standard or the Volksprechen?
I have always liked the dual

The fact the bible is translated in Gothic could create a situation not unlike the OTL situation of Slavonic were the religious language is archaic and not understandable by modern day speakers. Because it's quite likely that Gothic will evolve in symbiosis with romance tongues with a great deal of diglossia and so change quite quickly, if only in pronunciation.
In the end, the Gothic alphabet could end up as the religious one and the latin alphabet to write the commun tongue.

The fact the bible is translated in Gothic could create a situation not unlike the OTL situation of Slavonic were the religious language is archaic and not understandable by modern day speakers. Because it's quite likely that Gothic will evolve in symbiosis with romance tongues with a great deal of diglossia and so change quite quickly, if only in pronunciation.
In the end, the Gothic alphabet could end up as the religious one and the latin alphabet to write the commun tongue.

That seems to be a pretty good way of looking at it. Seeing as how the Arian Church in Spain kept using the Gothic language right up to the bitter end, it seems likely that its more robust atl counterpart will do the same. Even if it pushes further into Germany and uses the local vernacular language, it is likely to maintain the Gothic script ... which means we may not only see the creation of a more conservative Church Gothic language, but the script becoming a sacred script over time, which would be fascinating to explore.

On a side note; expect a new post on Saturday examining the Lombards and, possibly, Gepids. After that, I think the world is well enough scetched to show more details of Amalaric's reign (I'm doing my best to be as chronological as possible; but there are a lot of theaters I continually want to draw in as much detail as possible. I'm still kicking myaelf for not examining the Vandals much yet, but I need to do more reading on North Africa during this period, and sourses are scarce. I have so many ideas though ... :). )

Chapter 25 Of Refugees and Settlers
Chapter 25
Of Refugees and Settlers

1024px-SPLIT-Hebrard_overall_color_restitution.jpg

A reconstruction of Diocletian’s palace, which would become the capital of the Lombard Kingdom in the city of Dornpurg [OTL: Split, Croatia]

“Who now knows the naked fury
Of Artharic Old-Heart accursed by God and Man
That Killer of Kin the Kindred avenger
That evil ended so too will this.”
-Doer: Anonymous [FN1]

The Birth of Lombardy: The Story of the Early Lombards
By Luitprand Leinenkugel
[University of Lombardy – Dornpurg, Dornpurg, 2003] [OTL, Split, Croatia]

Few records have come down to us regarding the Lombard’s initial movement into Dalmatia and southern Pannonia. Although a few Gothic sources make mention of it, the History of the Goths by Sigibrairt the Frodquithan being the most verbose, no contemporary sources have come down to us describing the settlement from the point of view of the Lombards themselves, or the Dalmatian people. The closest we come is John the Bishop’s “History of the Lombards” which was written in the late 8th century, nearly two hundred years after the settlement. Luckily, John the Bishop’s account appears to have been based upon at least two other works, “A History of the Lombard Settlement” by Kay the Waling and “An Ecclesiastical History of the Lombard Church” by Peter the Deacon, which have since been lost to us, as well as an established oral tradition which preserved stories from the first decades of the Lombard Kingdom. [FN2]

Following the Lombard defeat by the Gepids at the Battle of Sirmium, King Agiluf took control of the Lombard host and retreated to Pannonia on the Gothic side of the border were they set up camp. The King then set messages to Ravenna stating his peaceful intent and asking sanctuary for himself and his men. Although we have no evidence of it, we can assume that local levies were raised to guard the camp until Emperor Amalaric was able to make his decision, as well as to ascertain the true intent of the Lombards. If there was any tension between the parties, however, no stories have come down to us; instead, we are told by Sigisbairht the Frodgibands that the Emperor accepted the Lombard King into his realm, and extended guest privileges to him and his men.

Having accepted Agiluf as a friend, the Emperor now faced the decision of whether or not to grant his request to be settled within the borders of the Empire. Beginning with the reign of Theodemir the Great, the Goths had revived the only Roman tradition of federation; allowing foreign peoples to be settled within the Empire as a unit and to be granted limited autonomy in exchange for loyalty to the Emperor, taxes and military service. Theodemir had first allowed Breton refugees to settle in Northern Gallia in order to repopulate the regions depopulated during his conflicts with the Meroving Franks. More recently, Amalaric had also accepted the submission the Suebi in Eastern Hispania, allowing them to keep their lands in exchange for acknowledging the Gothic Emperor as the liege of their King.

If Amalric chose to accept Agiluf’s petition, he had two options of where to settle the Lombard people. The first, would be in central Gallia, in the region of The Authia, which was still under populated as a result of the war with the Merovings and the Plague of Belisarius. The Authia had already begun to suffer from raids launched by the Frankish statelets and from refugees fleeing the chaos of the wars in Frankland. The second choice was Dalmatia, which had also been badly affected by the war to instate Germanus as Emperor of Rhomania as well as the plague. This option would have posed the problem of keeping the Lombards in the same vicinity as their enemies the Gepids, but would have offered the benefit of a land which was similar to that which they had known, and would have repopulated an important region of the Empire. We can only guess of Amalaric’s motives, but he evidently believed that the Lombards would best serve as a bulwark, defending Italy and the rest of the Empire from threats to the East.

Throughout the Autumn and Winter, Agiluf sent out messages to his followers who had been left behind in the lands conquered by the Gepids, and told them to be ready to cross over in Dalmatia in the spring. John the Bishop tells us that the Gepid King gave chase to the Lombards trying to flee his land, and that he cornered them upon the banks of the River Sava. Just when it seemed that the Gepids would fall upon the Lombards and kill them all, God intervened and suddenly a great mass of trees floated down the river, allowing the Lombards to climb aboard and make their way to safety. This story was, obviously, heavily influenced by the tales of the Hebrew and their escape from Egyptian captivity and cannot be taken seriously; in fact, it would seem likely that the Gepids would have not been unpleased to see the migration of those Lombards who might chose to continue the fight against their new overlords, and the chance to seize the land of those who had left. [FN3]

Come spring, the Lombards made their way into Dalmatia to set up new homes for themselves. As in the past, lands which had been abandoned were given over to the new settlers. Jon the Bishop gives the number of Lombards who made the first migration as being 200,000, but most recent scholarship finds this number to be too high; based upon archeological evidence, the total number of migrants during the first decade of Lombard settlement has been given at anywhere between 150,000 to 200,000. Since a tradition exists of three separate migrations, it can be estimated that the first settlers could not have numbered over 60,000, and likely the number was closer to 45,000.

Amalaric was determined to make sure that the Lombard’s first year was successful. “Having learned from the travails of his own ancestors,” Sigisbairht writes, “Amalaric opened up the granaries with all of their wealth, and gave a tenth of everything to the Lombards so that they might prosper in their new land.” In doing so, the Emperor worked to prevent a possible famine amongst the new arrivals, and a potential rebellion as had occurred to the West Goths when they had first been settled upon Roman lands. This assured that the Lombard settlement would be successful, and also reinforced the loyalty of the new settlers to their King and new Emperor. [FN4]

Two years after the initial settlement, a second migration occurred, which bolstered the numbers of the Lombards in Dalmatia. However, it was not only Lombards who now came streaming into the provinces; at the invitation of King Agiluf, a number of Saxon settlers also began to arrive. The Saxons had long enjoyed good relations with the Saxons, stretching back many centuries, and Agiluf’s invitation encouraged a number of Saxons to make their way to the Dalmatian coast, as evidenced by the place names they left behind; to this day, nearly every province in Lombardy contains at least one town or village names for the Saxons, such as Saxstead, Saxonpurg or Saxodum. Although it is possible that the King simply wished to invite in more settlers to help fill the land, John the Bishop suggests a more sinister purpose:

“In those days, the voice of the Lombard Dukes rose up against Agiluf. ‘Who is he, to rule over us,” they asked, ‘for was he not the man to lead us into servitude to the Gepids and not the Goths? Let us rise up against him and choose from amongst us a true King who shall avenge us out hurts and drive our foes before us.’ And, hearing these voices, Agiluf sent for the Saxons, his old friends, and said ‘Come and live amongst my people, and we shall slay my enemies and live in peace and prosperity.’ And the Saxons then came, and, together, they slaughtered all of those Reiks who were not loyal to the King, and were rewarded with lands and wealth.” [FN5]

If this story is to be taken literally, Agiluf and his allies, both foreign and domestic, were able to reaffirm his leadership of the Lombards in Dalmatia. Within the next several years, are unsure exactly when, the third and final migration of Lombards reached Lombardy, possibly inspired by instability within the Gepid realm. However, by 578, after ruling the new Lombard Kingdom for 17 years, Agiluf would be dead, killed by an assassin from within his own court, if John the Bishop and Sigisbairht the Frodgibands are both to be believed. With his death, the true instability of the early Lombard Kingdom would come to light, and threaten to bring war to the region once again.

[FN1] Alright, this is the last time I quote the alt-version of the poem “Doer.” I’m sorry; but I love the OTL version, and it’s such a good way to sneak in information about Germanic folk memories and traditions in the ATL. Also, this quote serves as some foreshadowing, although you won’t know why until the next chapter. 

[FN2] The name Kay is OTL and ATL the Germanic form of Gaius. Also, this passage is there to reinforce the trend from the last chapter that documentation from this era is better than in OTL for the same period, but there are still serious gaps and it’s in no way perfect.

[FN3] OTL chroniclers from this period in OTL were not above taking stories from the bible and older Roman histories and simply adapting them to fit the situation as needed. In the ATL, the situation is pretty much the shame. I figure the Lombards would want to create a legendary past inspired by the Bible, and the Egyptian captivity makes for a good template.

[FN4] Amalaric descends from both the Ostrogoths and Visigoths, and has been well schooled in the classics, as well as the history of his peoples. As such, he would be well aware of the Battle of Adrianople, and would want to do everything in his power to prevent a similar situation. Although he did not really give 10 percent of all of food surplus to the settlers, he did give significant help. Having a well fed settled population is in is best interest, after all.

[FN5] The connections between the Saxons and the Lombards are well attested in OTL. During the Lombard conquest of Italy, a fair number of Saxons actually joined in, although many later went home after the conquest was complete. Here, the Lombard King uses this connection to the Saxons to invite in settlers for a slightly different reason. On a side note, did my reconstruction of potential Saxon place names make sense?

And, no, just to be clear; the Saxons do not make a major impact upon the Lombard language or culture; they quickly acculturate to the dominant Germanic culture in the region and lose their language within a generation or two. But they do, however, leave their mark on the land all the same.

All right; this entry was originally supposed to be a bit longer, but it was getting to be too long and I decided to split it in two. The next one will show the instability in the Gepid lands (hint: a direct reference to it is in the quote at the beginning of the chapter :p ) and the affects it has on Lombardy and the Gothic Empire.

I hope you've enjoyed the chapter so far, and I promise a bit more action in the next one (which should hopefully be coming tomorrow or the day after). I also hope that I've given a fair and reasonable depiction of the settlement of Lombardy. Although I didn't go into much detail on the governing of the land, don't worry, this is me, and I will do so :)

Okay, I apologize. Although I promised a new update tonight, I am currently running on four and a half hours sleep, and don't have the energy to work on one tonight. I will try to get the next Gepids and Lombard episode up tomorrow or Wednesday.

Interesting developments in Illyria, is the region worse off than OTL? Because you had a general movement of the Roman population to the coasts (which lead to the survival of some dialects) but I imagine that with a state sponsored migration and the ensuing Saxon arrival, a lot of Romans would have gone to the other side of the Adriatic, more southerly or just assimilated.
However what about the Slavs, didn't they began to settle the region around this time? You also have the Avars or other steppe people likely to push the Gepids to the west.
I look forward to seeing more as this story hooks me the more I read it.

The Saxons had long enjoyed good relations with the Saxons
You may want to change a "Saxon" by a "Goth"

Interesting involvement of the Saxons in a novel piece of Europe, DM. Does this mean the Saxons are relatively stronger compared to OTL, or just further spread afield? I mean, the future *British country of Sexland gets their name for the tribe, so I figure that's still a source of migration.

Interesting developments in Illyria, is the region worse off than OTL? Because you had a general movement of the Roman population to the coasts (which lead to the survival of some dialects) but I imagine that with a state sponsored migration and the ensuing Saxon arrival, a lot of Romans would have gone to the other side of the Adriatic, more southerly or just assimilated.
However what about the Slavs, didn't they began to settle the region around this time? You also have the Avars or other steppe people likely to push the Gepids to the west.
I look forward to seeing more as this story hooks me the more I read it.

You may want to change a "Saxon" by a "Goth"

Actually, that was meant to say the the Lombards had long enjoyed good relations with the Saxons; thanks for the catch :)

As for Illyria, I think the region is doing slightly worse than in OTL, due to the direct invasion it suffefed during Germanus' war for the throne. I've read some sources that seem to indicate that one of the reasons the OTL Slavs were so successful was that there had been a demographic implosion which left the land unsettled. These same forces would be in play in the ATL, only with the Lombards filling the role, in Illyria at least. Don't worry, though; the Slabs and the Avars are going to be dealt with in detail pretty soon.

Also, for the Gepids: they may be able to make a go of it, but it is going to be tough going for a while. :)

Thanks again for the comments!

Interesting involvement of the Saxons in a novel piece of Europe, DM. Does this mean the Saxons are relatively stronger compared to OTL, or just further spread afield? I mean, the future *British country of Sexland gets their name for the tribe, so I figure that's still a source of migration.

Waxing us doing fairly well for itself, but really only marginally better than in OTL (after all, they don't have the Frankish Empire breathing down their necks as in OTL, and the Franks are actually acting as a buffer between them and the Goths). Remember, there were Saxons who journeyed with the Lombards into Italy in OTL. I don't see the number that came to Illyria in the ATL being too significant in the long term, at least not enoigh to cut doqn the OTL immigration rate to Britain.

Chapter 26 Gepidity
Chapter 26
Gepidity

Lombards_Agilulf01_full.jpg

Broach portraying King Agiluf of the Lombards

“Ardaric, Kinslayer, then spoke: Who here does not know of the crimes of the Gepids? Who does not know of one who has been cursed by their foul deeds? I give you a chance to make up for these wrongs, and to avenge ourselves against those who betrayed us. I was born into their court and raised by them, aye, but was never one of them. The Merovings have fallen, so to shall the Gepids!” – Speech of Ardaric the Kinslayer as present in the 19th century novel “The Kinslayer” by Wolfram Von Bavaria

Singidunum, Gepidia [Belgrade, Serbia] [FN1]
October, 575

The great hall of the Gepid King roared with the shouts of the nobles and warriors who have gathered there to celebrate the harvest. Thurismund, King of the Gepids and lord of Singidunum was louder than the rest, his dark hair hung limply upon his brow, and wine dripped from his mustache, and he cried out in satisfaction at the song of the minstral, who was singing the tale of his ancestor’s victory over the Huns. [FN2]

“More, more,” the King cried out, “tell us how he split the skulls of Atilla’s children, and how the Goths feld in fear!”

Ardaric, the name sake of that famous king, felt none of the joy of his father. Truth be told, he rarely ever felt much joy. Picking absently at the meat in front of him, he took a hesitant sip of his wine, and looked out at he crowd, feeling nothing but disdaine. These men, and the loose women who followed them, bowed at the feet of his Father, forsaking all respect for themselves in order to gain but a small favor from the Gepid King.

“Weak,” Ardaric muttered to himself, “all of them.”

Thurisric, Ardaric’s brother, stired next to him, and looked up from his own food; he still had the blackeye that Ardaric had given him, after catching him cheating in a game. Seeing his older brother staring back at him, the younger boy bowed his eyes and returned to his food; he well knew the Gepid prince’s temper.

“Mind your own business,” Ardaric said; Thurisric never responded.

There was a sudden commotion in the Hall, as the Queen emerged, dressed as a common serving girl, and pouring wine and mead to the participants of the feas. It was disgraceful, Ardaric thought, the way his mother was treated; not as a loyal wife, but as a common whore, a prize of war. Often, as a child, he remembered her pulling him aisde and telling him the history of his people, his real people, and the great shame which his Father and Grandfather had rained down uponthe Lombards. To his mind, his mother, Queen Kreimhild had come to symbolize the dishonor which had been laid at the feet of his family, and his true tribe.

“Ah, Kreinhild, my Queen,” Thurismund, the King of the Gepids said, while motioning for silence from the crowd. The Queen froze in her steps, sloshing wine from a jug all over her dress, and stood silently like a Deer which has caught the sent of a hunter.

“You have done so much for me,” Thurismund said, his voice slurred by the wine, as he strode forward in uneven, ungainly, steps; “bore me three sons, two of which have yet to embarrass me, given me advice, and also sought to counsil me to give mercy upon my enemies. A good wife!”

Ardaric wanted to scream. He had born the weight of his father’s scorn for much of his life, seen his mother having to endure more, and every fiber of his being cried out for an end to it all. Without knowing he was doing it, he had grasped his knife firmly in hand.

“And so,” Thurismund continued, “I think, maybe, its time to give you a gift. How long has it been since you last spoke to your father?” With those words, he thrust out his goblet, a gaudy gold encrusted abomination which had been created from the skull of the Lombard King, Illdichis, Kreinhild’s father.

At this, Kreinhild began to step away, butThurismund struck with an agility which was surprising for a man so drunk, grasping her by the hair and twisting her head around to face him. He held the goblet up, brimming with wine, and pressed it to his wife’s lips. “Drink,” he said, “drink!”

Ardaric watched in horror as the red wine, spilled down his mother’s lips and neck. Letting her hair go, Thurismund pinched her nose and, when she finally opened her mouth to gasp for air, poured the offending wine down her throat. Kreimhild fell to te ground, gasping and sputtering, before she began to vomit, while spasming with tears.

Thurismund began to laugh then, his oice booming through the hall. At first no one said a thing, and the crowd looked on in horror; but, soon, a few of the assorted nobles began to laugh, nervously at first, and then a few others joined in, and then more until the entire hall filled with the sounds of merriment.

Asked later, why he had done such a thing, Ardaric would have been unable to answer. Although derided by his own Father, he was still held in respect by the nobility and wa the next in line to succeed the King. But, seeing his mother collapsed upon the floor, writhing with physical and emotional pain, and hearing the laughter of the assembled nobles, young Prince Ardaric had finally reached his limit.

“Enough,” he said. His voice did not carry over the crowd, and so he slammed his first down upon the oak table as hard and his could, still clutching the knife he was using to eat but a second before. “Enough!”

This time his voice carried, and the entire hall fell into a brooding silence. Fixing his Father was a stare which conveyed every fiber of his malice and hatred, he walked around the table and advanced upon the King.

“Enough,” he said, one last time for emphisis. He looked over and saw pure terror in his Mother’s face, her eyes pleading with him to sit back down.

Thurismund laughed; there seemed to be no way to keep the King from that! “Oh, has my son’s balls finally dropped? Is he ready to finally be a man? So, what? You want to draw a blade on your own Father under my own roof!”

Ardaric felt cool and serene; he thought it likely he would die this day, but at least he would show the world the type of man his Father really was. He wished to make a speech, some grand justification for his actions that the poet here would record and pass down through the ages, but his mind escaped him all he could do was stare into his Father’s eyes and say “I hate you! I hate you!”

“You always were a weak boy,” the Thurismund said, “I remember you crawling into bed with us to suckle at your Mother’s breast at the age of ten.”

Laughter again. Of course the laughter.

“So, you want to strike down your own father? Then be a man and do it; in front of all of the men here, come at me!”

Ardaric stepped forward, his hand was so tightly wrapped around the knife that he had lost feeling in his right hand. Suddenly pain erupted in his left calf; he let out a scream and fell to the marble floor. He grasped around franticly, trying to find the source of his agony; looking down he saw a table knife sticking into his leg, and his younger brother standing up with a look on triumph on his face.

That was all he had a chance to see, because his Father was quickly upon him, lifting him up by the collar and delivering blow after blow to his face, before dropping him back to the floor, inside a pool of his own blood.

A smile crossed Thurismund’s face as he looked down on the battered form of his eldest son. “You always were an embarrassment to be; I had really hoped you’d be able to put up a good fight. When I was your age, I’d already broken my own Father’s jaw!”

Ardaric groaned, his blond hair hung limply before him, plasted out in the pool of blood, which hwas quickly dying it a deep red. As he looked up, he noticed movement out of the corner of his eye; the form of his Mother running towards his Father with all of her strength. She collided with him, but it wasn’t enough; the King threw her aside and turned to look at the crumpled form of his wife.

“Mercy,” he said,” mercy! He’s your own son!”

“He’s a traitor,” the King said, his voice firm and heavy, “the same as you. Your traitorous blood flows in his veins, and you are both danmed.”

Whether she had know it or not, Kreimhild and bought her eldest son time. As his Father turned away, he had found the knife, and struggled to stand.

“Father,” Ardaric said, “face me!”

The King turned around, a look of surprise on his face, but it was already too late; Ardaric pounced with the last reserve of his energy and, with a fury, buried the knife deep into his Father’s gut, not once, but over a dozen times in less than the minute.

Thurismund staggered back, hs hand desperately trying to staunch the flow of blood from his own stomach. As he collapsed down, his eyes met his son’s for one final time. “I’m proud of you,” he said, and then collapsed onto the floor, dead.

The Birth of Lombardy: The Story of the Early Lombards
By Luitprand Leinenkugel
[University of Lombardy – Dornpurg, Dornpurg, 2003] [OTL, Split, Croatia]

We know more about Ardaric from mythology and legend than we do some actual history. Sigisbairht the Frodgibands mentiones the Gepid refugee in only sparse detail, mentioning that “in the year of our lord 578, Ardaric, the Kinslayer, came to the Lombard court and caused much mischeive. Although a Gepid, he tried to incite war between the Gepids and Lombards so that the later might avenge themselves for past defeats. This greatly offended our Emperor, Amalaric, who feared the Lombards might use their renewed power to forsake their loyalty to the Goths and start war within the East.”

John the Bishop writes a more detailed account. “In 578, or 579, Ardaric the Kinslayer appeared amongst the Lombards in Dornpurg. There he met with King Agiluf, and told of his travails; how he was the son ofKing Thurismund of the Gepids and the Grandson of King Illdichis of the Lombards and how he had slain his own Father to avenge his family for the death of his grandfather.” [FN3]

We don’t know exactly what happened next. Although many Lombards may have been taken by Ardaric’s statements, and wished to exploit the sudden weakness of the Gepids, Agiluf was less certain. He appears to have taken a more caustious attitude, welcoming Ardaric as a guest but keeping him under tight guard. However, he was taken by the plight of his nephew, and gave him great honors within the Lombard court, appointing him the Reik of Choan, centered upon the city of PHoenice. As this area was not yet pascified by the Lombards, Ardaric must have fought against the native Illyrian population which had not accostumed themselves to the thought of Lombard rule; John the Bishop writes that “Ardaric proved fierce in war, and took part in the campaigns of his Uncle during the Illrian Revolt,” an event which is thought to have occurred between 576 and 577.

Legends state that Ardaric was in charge of the army which laid waste to the rebellious town of Himera. Although this was long debated by scholars, recently archeological evidence seems to suggest that there was a burning of the city during this era, and it stands to reason the Ardaric, Reik of the region, would have been in charge of the assault and sack, although this is entirely conjuncture. [FN4]

“With the Illyrians defeated in battle, Agiluf was perceived as a conquerer and a great and noble king. However, the whisperings of revolt which had earlier plagued his reign did not stop, but intensified. If we can so easily defeat the Illyrians, the Lombards thought, we should easily be able to deal with the Gepids who had so cruely harassed us in the past. One of the loudest voices for war was Ardaric, the kinslayer and Reik of Choan, who did not wish to retake his Kingdom in the Norh, but wanted instead to avenge himself upon the Gepids for their crimes against the Lombards.”

“So loud was his voice, that Agiluf, King, felt his nephew to be a threat and, under the guise of a feast, invited him to a feast, where Ardaric was bound and thrown into prison, in violation of the sanctity of guest rights. When news of this horror spread, a great mob formed in the capital and besieged the palace of the Lombards. During the height of the siege, Arigul’s own wife confronted him: Let us throw a feast to embolden the hearts of our warriors, she said. That night, just such a feast was ordered and, when the King cheered his warriors and took a sip of wine in their name, he suddenly collapsed in spasms.” – John the Bishop “A History of the Lombards”

With the death of the King by poisoning, his own warriors turned upon the Queen and cut her down. However, rather than risking the fury of the mob, they set Ardaric free and proclaimed him as the King of the Lombards. Ardaric moved quickly to gain legitimacy by seeking recognition from the Gothic crown, and we have a copy of a letter he sent to Emperor Amalaric expressing his fielty to Ravenna and his status as a loyal vassal.

Once again, at this point, History has left us with few sources to tell us what occurred next. From both Sigisbairht and John the Bishop we learn that Ardaric moved quickly to unite the realm and to lead an invasion of the Gepid lands “The kinslayer called out to all of the Lombards so that they might field an army and retake their homelands from the Gepids,” writes Sigisbairht, “but he was careful to say that he would do so in the name of Rome and all lands gained would be for the glory of Amalaric, our wise Emperor.”

Unfortuantely for Ardaric, at this same time, the Gepids were facing an increased pressure from the Avars and their Slav allies to the West. With the collaps of Thurismund’s household, his brother Thurisind had managed to secure power. Thurisind believed that an alliance with the Goths was the only way to stabilize the Gepid’s hold on their lands and to ward off invasion by either the Avars or Rhomans, the later of which still wished to reassert their control over Sigidunum. Furthermore, Amalaric rightly feared a federate vassal which was so independent that it could drag his empire into an unplanned war in the East.

As Ardaric planned his war, Amalaric also conspired to unseat his unruly vassal, likely though spies and connections he maintained within the Court in Dornspurg and throughout the realm. Although it is impossible to be certain the Emperor’s complicity in what was to come, it is difficult to not see his hand at work. In March of 580, a date which it is relatively easy to pinpoint, Ardaric was attacked and stabbed by members of his own guard while pathing in his palace. With his death, the plans for a Lombard invasion of the Gepidreike collapsed.

With Araric’s death, the Lombard Kingdom fell into disorder, with several claimants appearing; many of them prominent Reiks connected to the royal household by marriage, service or blood. Rather than seeing Anarchy spreading through the land, Amalaric sent his faithful teacher Wulfila Strabo to Dornpurg to represent the Empire. It would be the aged scholar’s final mission; shortly after throwing the Empire’s support behind Rotari, a distant cousin of Agiluf and the Reik of Arititarn, Wulfila caught ill and died within Dornpurg two weeks later. He would leave behind an unfinished biography of Amalaric, as well as a lasting legacy as one of the grea historians and biographers of his era, and the greatest to write in the Old Gothic language.

The Saga of Ardaric Kinslayer
By: Anonymous, translated by Adelric Tháiteisman
[Blue Danube Publishing, Watoheim, 1985] [OTL: Budapest, Hungary]

Possessing a desire to see her Father and kin avenged, Kreimhild concocted a plan to see which of her children possessed the true spirit of their ancestors. Upon reaching their 10th birthday, she sent them deep into the woods, without food or water, and told them to fast. As they slept, however, she called forth a venomous serpent which was to strike them down in their sleep. First one, then two, and finally three children where viciously struck down in this fashion. [FN5]

Upon reaching his 10th birthday, Kreinhild sent Ardaric out to the same shack which had seen the deaths of his brothers. Kreinhild wept at the thought of the danger her favorite son would soon face; but he calmed her and said:

“Killed were my kin, but corwards all
Possessing no Pride in their proud heritage
I fear no field, no foul beast
Sould death desire to deprive me of life
It shall have a horrid struggle at hand!”

And then he departed. For three nights he tended the cabin fire, and subsisted only upon what he could hunt or capture. On the third night, hungry but not afraid, he drifted off to sleep. But then a wonderous thing happened; for he was met in the night the spirit of his Grandfather who told him to beware, for death was surly coming for him that night. However, should be kill and devour the creature, he would gain powers untold.

Adraric awoke to see the viper hovering above him, ready to strike. Grabbing it firmly in him, he throttled the beast, choking the life out of the creature. Then, having killed it, he roasted its meat over an open flame and ate it. The poison in the snake was thus defeated and, having eaten it, Ardaric gained mastery over all poisons so that he might never be hurt by them.

Then, returning to the castle of the Gepids at Athaheim, he confronted his own Father at a great feast. Ardaric spoke these lines, then:

“Fearsom father, your fields are deserted
The plague is persistent, it preys on the weak.
The waste is waxing, your warriors are ill.
The land languishes, and lions abound.
You’ve killed my kin, the courageous Lombards
Women and widows, weep at your reign.”

Then the two fought, and Ardaric was victorious, his great sword Blackheart drank in his own father’s blood. That is ow Ardaric came to be both the Kinslayer and the Kin-avenger, for he slew the killer of his own grandfather and liberated the Lombards, while also slaying his own Father. For this he was accursed, and may woes would following him until his own bloody end. [FN6]

[FN1] Although the Gepids allied with the Byzantines to drive the Lombards from this city, they did not evacuate it after the capture and, rathe,r made it their capital. This has caused a good deal of bad blood between the Gepids and the Byzantines, but the Eastern Empire is about to have other problems to deal with.

[FN2] As the Gepids took a vigorous hand in the desctruction of the Huns, it stands to reason that this would become one of their signature myths. This will, of course eventually become part of the Germanic tradition of Etzel the Hun, and the fall of the Merovings as previously described.

[FN3] This is partially true, of course; but, already, we are starting to see some of the mythic tradition seep into the historical record. Although it is likely that this is the story which Ardaric would spread; it would affirm him to the Lombards quicky after all.

[FN4] Yet another instance, in the ATL, of the historical record being a bit dim, but the legends and archeological record synching up to an extent. As previously stated, this era is much better recorded in the ATL than the OTL (having a functioning pseudo-Roman government will do that) but it is hardly perfect.

[FN5] Shades of the Volsung Saga and the tales told of Sigmund. I figured they would be popular enough to be attached to a different figure in the ATL.

[FN6] Ardaric actually becomes an important mythic personage amongst the Lombards and Gepids both, although much more the former. I figure that a wide variety of stories are told about him, and these meander up to the North to become part of the Norse tradition as well (in much the same was the stories of Theoderic, in OTL, were preserved by the Norse and formed te basis of Theuderic’s Saga. I actually could include more details on this cycle if people are interested (I actually did put a lot of thought into it; I see Ardaric as being a bit of Keuvo-esque figure from the Finnish Kalevala. Cursed by fate and his own decisions, although still possessing redeeming characteristics. On a side note Keurvo in OTL was one of the inspirations for Tolkein’s Turin), and may do so later. I wasn’t sure how interested people would be. I did want to give the mythic interpretation of the beginning the story, since I had given the historical one previously.

So there you have the tale of the initial settlement of the Lombards in Illyria, how it very nearly went wrong, and how disaster was only just averted. We shall be turning to the Gepids soon, to show how they make peace with the Empire and work to secure their own holdings (despite some very real animosity between them and the Goths ... old memories die hard). I think I've solidified things up enough so that I can turn back to the Goths and show the remainder of the reign of Amalaric (of course, I really may need to turn my attention to the Byzantines at some time soon as well.)

Hope you all enjoyed!

Last edited:
It's great to see the founding myths of a nation, the various tools you use (omniscient narrator, history text and a Saga) give a good vision of Lombardy. I don't particularly like the personage of Ardaric (too self-righteous for my taste) but the story you made around him is quite interesting, you can see what inspirited Fantasy authors. I wonder what will come out of the matter of Britain because the early POD butterflied Arthur.

So I'm quite happy to see a return to the empire and its politics.

I, for one, would love to learn more about Ardaric. The end of his story saddens me, but I'd definitely love to hear more of it.

I think I will definitely have to work more of the Saga in during a future post; I ad been half tempted to pretty much cover his entire life in the form of the Saga, so people cold get the historical and mythic views of him. But, that would have doubled the length of the post, and it was already getting late at the time.

I also found it sad to write parts of this chapter; I found Ardaric as a well meaning but brash, and often violent, figure who, in many ways, belonged to a past era. In the typical story tradition, he would have been allowed to complete him revenge; but in an era when the Lombards had become tied down as federates in the Empire, that was no longer a possibility. No matter how light the Gothic hand over them, there was no way the Amalaric would allow them to start a war which would drag him in; especially when he was moving towards closer relations with the Gepids anyway.

It's great to see the founding myths of a nation, the various tools you use (omniscient narrator, history text and a Saga) give a good vision of Lombardy. I don't particularly like the personage of Ardaric (too self-righteous for my taste) but the story you made around him is quite interesting, you can see what inspirited Fantasy authors. I wonder what will come out of the matter of Britain because the early POD butterflied Arthur.

So I'm quite happy to see a return to the empire and its politics.

Actually, I did some research on just this topic, and it would seem that the historical Arthur, if he lived at all, would have been around the year 500, so his birth and part of his career might actually predate the POD. This means the Arthur, much like Beowulf, will likely still exist in this TL, although the literary development of the character will be different from what we know today.

And, yes, it will be good to go back to the Empire for a bit :)

Chapter 27 The Great Gepid-Avar War Under the Red and White Flag
Chapter 27
The Great Gepid-Avar War Under the Red and White Flag [FN1]

Keny%C3%A9rmez%C5%91_%28Breadfield%29.jpg

Anonymous rendering of the Tháiteisháiþ by 19th century Gepid artist

“Although the Gepids had managed to extend their control over the entirety of the Carpathian basin with their overwhelming defeat of the Lombards, they lived in constant fear of the same being done to them. It would be the Avar-Gepid conflicts which would eventually prove or disprove their rights to that land” – Skul Ragnarson, “A History of Restoration Era Europe” 1995

The History of the Gepids
By Paul the Monk
Trans. Edwin Smith
Bern [OTL: Verona, Italy]: Skipmann and Sons Publishing, 2001

When Ardaric the Kinslayer, accursed in the eyes of God and Man, struck down his own Father in cold blood, the Gepids were thrown into shock. Thurismund had two sons, but both were minors and not yet fit to rule. As such, the Ga-Rûn was called, and the Reiks elected one Thurisind as King, and ordered him to take care and tutor his nephews in the ways of war and peace, so that the Gepids might have strong kings in the future. [FN2]

Thurisind quickly moved to secure his rule, and sent envoys to the Romans; both the Goths and Rhomania, but the Goths were more receptive. Fearing the influence of his nephew, who had escaped by trickery or witchcraft, he sent warnings to all parties to beware of such an evil man; for it was well known that Ardaric was able to take the form of a mighty wolf, and prowled the countryside before finding his way to the court of the Lombards and there caused much havoc. [FN3]

In those years, Thurisind ruled as a fair and noble king; but he knew well that threats were forming to the South and East; not only the Lombards, who had foolishly taken Ardaric as their King, but also from the Avars and the Rhomans, the later of whom were still greedy for the city of Singidunum. To protect his realm from these threats, he entered into an alliance with the Goths and their Emperor Amalaric, who promised to protect the Gepids from any external threat.

However, Justin, Emperor of the Rhomans, was unscrupulous, and did not care for the alliances or decrees of his brother-Emperor in the West. Since he was engaged in battle against the Persians to the East, Justin came to the Avars and said: “Come; as you have been allies in the past, subduing the wicked Slavs, be our allies once again. If you attack the Gepids and drive them from their lands, we shall give you all of the lands North of the Danube, save for Singidunum, which is ours by right, and was stolen from us by your worthless foes.” Forgiving the Avars for their raids against Rhomania during the reign of his Father, he sent them out to do his bidding. [FN4]

Preceiving weakness in the Gepids, who had so soon lost their own King, the Avars struck, wishing to possess the plains of Dacia. Thurismund quickly gathered his soldiers and moved against his foes, declaring that he would chase them to the very gates of Hell itself, and deliver the Avars directly to Satan.

However, God, in his mysterious ways, and those of his only begotten son, chose to try the Gepids, as they had their chosen peoples so many times before. At Jidava, the forces of Avars met those of Thurisind and they slew many, tricking the Gepids by mocking a retreat and drawing teir foes into a trap. In the slaughter, Thurisind himself fell, as did many noble Gepids, and the way into the Gepidreik was now open to the invaders.

With the news of the King’s fall, panic once again swept through the Gepids, as they were now left leaderless. In the midst of the panic, it was Thurisric, the younger brother of despised Ardaric, who came to the forefront. Tutored by his Uncle, the King, he had been kept away from much of the nobility, and it was he who now spoke with clarity: “Our armies are defeated, and soon the shadow of the enemy shall fall upon this land,” he spoke, “but there is still hope. Let those of us who can still fight go and seek the hand of our friend, the Emperor of the Goths, who shall surly help us drive this foe from our land! For, though it may be good to die in the defense of that which we love, is it not better to live to avenge this hurt which has been dealt to us? The battle may have been lost, but the war shall be won by our strong hands!”

At these words, many of the nobility flocked to Thurisric’s banner, and they traveled to the lands of the Goths and there asked him to honor that alliance which had so recently been signed.

“A History of the Goths”
By: Sigisbairht the Frodgibands
Trans. Tadhg Au’Domnhal
[New Land Press, Bhá na Deataigh, Republic of Tir na Dóiteáin, 1983] [FN5]

Then, in the year of our Lord 585, there came to the Court of the Goths, a certain Thurisric, who claimed to be the son and nephew of the King of the Gepids, as well as the brother of Ardaric, the King of the Lombards. While in court, Thurisric told the tale of the slaughter of the Gepids by the Avars, who were allied to the Rhomans, and begged Amalaric to honor the alliance between their people and rescue the Gepids of slavery.

At first Amalaric offered the Gepids sactuary, saying that he would settle them within the lands of Gallia, as he had previously settled the Bretons as well as the Lombards. But, to this, Thurisric said he would have no part, “we are a valiant people, we Gepids who slew the Huns when others fled for safety and comfort. Now, we have fallen prey to the enemy of all men, those who give praise to he who once tried to tempt our Lord. But despite having been defeated, we are still strong, and shall never flee the lands which God, in his wisdom, granted us, and His Greatest Creation, who blessed us in our settlement. We would rather die in the defense of our lards, forsaken by our allies and friends, then to continue to live in a land which in not our own; which was not won by the strength of our arms, as the Hebrew took their own promised land. Say now, oh Kaiser, will you honor our alliance and help us, or shall we go back to our homes to fight the enemy alone?” [FN6]

Amalaric was taken by this speech, for he remembered how the Gepids and Goths had once battled the Huns together, and also knew of the bonds of kinship which existed between the ruling houses of both realms. He said this: “Hear now, oh Gepids, you have asked for the hand of your friends, and you have found it. Know this; when the snows melt and the fields are green, we shall return to the lands of the Gepids and there meet the Great Enemy, and we shall slay him, or die in the trying. For it is better to fall while defending a friend, then to live a long life and forsake those bonds which mean the most to us.”

In the Spring of 886, Amalaric gathered his forces and, supported by those Gepids who had been able to flee their land, crossed from Pannonia into the lands of the Gepidreik, and there they sought to engage their enemy. Amalaric had with him an army of 10,000, and was seeking to face a force of equal size.

Finally, at Tháiteisháiþ, known for its fertility, upon the River Marisus, the Goths and Gepids met their foe in battle.

July, 886
Tháiteisháiþ, Gepidreike [OTL: Breadfield, Romania] [FN7]

Amalaric sat upon his horse, and felt old. At the age of 52, his once grea made of raven black hair had become streaked with white, and lines had appeared around his eyes and mouth; deep jowls cut deep into the flesh of his face. Still, he men continued to call him the Raven and, in order to perpetuate the image, he had taken to wearing armor and clothing of all black, which had lead to a new nickname, the “Mann in Swarts.”

“Father,” a voice said; that of his eldest son Theodebert, named for a uncle he would never know, “our lines are ready for the attack; they wait only your word.”

Amalaric nodded. He felt total confidence in his sons, both Theodebert and Amalamir, and could have easily left this campaign to them. Except that it wouldn’t have been right; his Father had never done any such thing, and he knew that if he had refused to campaign, his own nobles would have thought him weak (the Goths, of course, but even the Romans. God, how the Romans had seemed to take on more Gothic ways which each generation!).

“The Lombards,” he said, “they are stationed on the opposite wing as the Gepids?”

Theodebert looked at his Father as if the elder man had lost his wits, “Of course, Father! Rothar had assured us that his Lombards are loyal, but there were scuffles between the two camps days ago. We separated them as you ordered.” [FN8]

“Good.”

Amalaric felt confident. For the past month, they had marched through the Gepidreik, and the Avars had retreated, offering only small scrimishes. Of course, the Avars had burnt the fields before them, which was meant to starve off the Gothic advance, but Amalaric had always been a firm believer in securing enough supplies for his army, and not relying upon foraging from the land. An attack upon their baggage train a week earlier had been thoroughly repulsed; largely due to the command of his son, Amalamir, the Emperor had to admit with some pride.

In any case, the Goths held the high ground in the foothills, and the Avars had maneuvered themselves into being trapped upon the bank of the River Marisus. Soon there would be an attack, there would be no other option for either side, and then the conflict would be decided once and for all.

Amalaric looked out at his army with pride. He spied the banners of the Bretons from the North, the Lombards of Illyria, the Seubi and Hispanians, and even the large contingent of native Romans lead by his friend Aquila (usually he would have felt trepidation of any large cohort of Roman troops being lead by a Roman generation; but years of experience had taught him that Aquila could be trusted, even if he continued to ever jockey for more power for the Senate). It was a grand army, perhaps the greatest mustered since his Father’s wars against the Merovings.

Amalaric pulled out a small painting, in the form of an icon, which was in the likeness of his own Father. “I hope to do you proud, Father,” he said under his breath, almost a prayer, “you were always the warrior of the family. You and my brother. Please protect your people tonight, and intercede on our behalf with the Heavenly Creator and his blessed Creature.” He clasped the small painting to his breast, before returning it to the satchel at his side.

“Theodebert,” the Emperor said.

“Yes, Father,” the younger man responded.

“All of of our forces have been ordered to not pursue unless I have given the order, correct?”

“Of course. We have all heard the stories of how Thurisind fell in battle.”

Amalaric looked up at the red and while checkered banner he had decided to use as his standard during this campaign, “Good. Commence the attack.”

“A History of the Goths”
Trans. Tadhg Au’Domnhal
[New Land Press, Bhá na Deataigh, Republic of Tir na Dóiteáin, 1983]

At the Battle of Tháiteisháiþ the Goths and their allies won an impressive victory. Forced to fight, the Avars launched a heavy assault upon the Goths, but they did not break. Feigning retreat, they sought to draw the Goths and Gepids into the open and from the high ground, but Amalaric was well aware of this trickery and did not take the bait. Finally, having concentrated the Avars by the River Marisus, the Emperor ordered a full assault.

Fighting was heavy, and many Goth was lost that day, as well as Gepid Breton, Lombard, Seubi and Roman. Of an army of 10,000, the Emperor lost nearly half of his force. But, in the end it was enough, as the Avars Khan was captured, while attempting to flee, and the rest of his force threw themselves into the river which, being alined to the will of God, drug many under and drowned them.

July, 886
Tháiteisháiþ, Gepidreike [OTL: Breadfield, Romania]

Amalaric, King of Ostrogoths, Visigoths, and Romans, and Emperor of the West, waited in his tent as the captured Khan of the Avars was pulled in. The Emperor smiled to himself; for all of the losses he had suffered today, he had not only managed to utterly destroy the Avar force in the Gepidreike, but had managed to do so without losing a single fa,ily member. All of his sons were alive!

“Please,” the Emperor said, smiling at his soldiers, “the Khan is an honored guest in my tent. There is no need to manhandle him. After all, he certainly has nowhere to run.”

“But,” one of the guards said, “what if he is armed and wishes to strike at you?”

Amalaric laughed, “With guards as good as you, I doubt you would have left him armed. And, if you had done so, I believe I’m quite capable of dealing with the problem. So, please, let our guest go, and let us show him the full extent of our hospitality.”

Amalaric watched as his guards unshackled the Khan and stepped back towards the enterance of the Tent.

“Now, Bayan, why not try the wine? Is from my own vineyard and is a good vintage. I’m told it goes particularly well with the roast beef and venison from my reserves.”

The Khan looked wary, but took a sip of the wine and began to pick at the food. “Is this your purpose, then, to show me the wealth of your realm, to entice us to never attack your allies again? Because, I assure you, it will not work. I have been to Constantinople, and have seen the true wealth of the civilized world?

Amalaric took a bite from his own venison and leaned across the table, “I assure you,” he said, “that was in no way my intention. I simply wished to show hospitality towards an honored guest. Even in the West, we have heard of the glory of the Avars and their noble Khans.”

“I am,” and then Bayan’s voice broke as if he was considering the next words he spoke carefully, “honored to sup with you, although I must admit that I wish it were under better circumstances.”

“As do I,” Amalaric said, “as do I. I have a great respect for the power of your warriors; subduing the Slavs as you have and trying to carve out a homeland for yourselves. My people have shared your struggle, as I’m sure you are well aware. In our case, we found an Emperire tore apart by war, and moved in to restore order and find a place for ourselves as honored allies to that Empire.”

“You rule that Empire, now,” the Khan replied.

“That we do,” Amalaric said, “but with the consent of the Romans themselves. We have had difficulties, of course, but we have still proved our loyalty to the concept of the Empire, and have worked to rebuild it as best we can.”

“And what is the point of your speech,” Bayan asked? “We wish the same; a land to call our own, but you deny us the fertile plains which were promised to us.”

The Emperor smiled again, that unnerving smile of his which was both friendly and yet filled with enough knowledge to be menacing, “Exactly. You know, I have heard how the Rhomans use you. They say ‘attack our enemies,’ and you do so”

He stopped seeing the anger rush to the Khan’s face, “No, no,” he said, “I mean no disrespect. Your victories are glorlious, and you’re people deserve much honor for them. But, have you not noticed, that the one thing you ask for, the East denies?”

The Khan sipped his wine. “This truly is a good vintage,” he said.

“Yes. Yes it is. I’m a bit of a fan of wine, myself, and I always try to bring the best with me on campaign.”

“But,” the Khan continued, “I agree. The one thing we ask, a homeland, has always been denied us. We looked for a homeland during the hostilities in the East, but after Germanus came to power, with your help I remind you, he denied us a homeland to the south of the Danube as we requested. His son, Justin, had relied on us more, but had also refused to meet our demands.”

“And what a shame that is. I feel every people deserve a homeland for themselves; that is why I offered lands to the Lombards, and even to the Gepids after your attacks, although the later proved to be rather happy where they were. And, truthfully, I can not blame them; these are fertile lands, although, maybe, not so good as those to the South of the Danube.”

Bayar continued to eat his food, not responding for some time. Finally he said, “Are you offering us a home in the lands of the Rhomans?”

“No, certainly not,” Amalaric said, “I would never betray my brother-Emperor in such a way. Justin had always shown us the highest of honors. But, I will say this, should you agree to forsake any claim to the lands of the Gepids, I might be … slow to respond to any call to arms from my brother.”

The Khan nodded, “and what would the price for this, slowness be? I would be willing to swear off any future encursions against the Gepids, but there must be more than that.”

The Emperor laughed then, and it was a cold dry laugh which the Khan, hardened by years of war, was taken aback by. “Oh, certainly. Of course. You have been defeated after all. Utterly.” At this he leaned across the table so that he was staring deep into the eyes of the Avar Khan, “I had m men sweep out today to count the dead, and I saw that you had lost almost two thirds of your men. You have been beaten.”

The Khan leaned back in the face of his enemy’s stare. All he could say was, “yes, that is true.”

“Good,” the Emperor said, “you admit it. Then we can talk. What I require from you is a pledge from you, and your sons, that you will never harass the Gepids again.”

“Agreed.”

The Emperor held up his hand, “I’m not finished yet. I also will need both of your sons. We will take them as hostages, and will tutor them in the ways of the West. As long as you do not break your pledge, they will be returned to you more knowledgable and better capable of leading your people.”

The Khan grimaced; the thought of putting his sons into the hands of an enemy pained him deeply.

“Don’y worry,” the Emperor continued, seeing the Khan’s stricken look, “they will be well cared for, as long as you honor your end of the agreement. But there is one more thing.”

“And that is?”

“You will accept baptism by a member of my church, and will accept the Son as your savior, and will forswear any future dealings with the heretics of the East.”

“I believe, “ Khan Bayar said, “that that could be arranged.”

“Good,” Amalric said, “then I believe we shall have a lasting peace between our peoples.”

“A History of the Goths”
Trans. Tadhg Au’Domnhal
[New Land Press, Bhá na Deataigh, Republic of Tir na Dóiteáin, 1983]

After the Battle of Tháiteisháiþ, Amalric parted ways with Bayar, Khan of the Avars, as friends. No longer would the two peoples fight as enemies. Meanwhile, Thurisric reaffirmed his loyalty and alliance with the Goths for their efforts to liberate his own people. Although he refused to accept the position as Federates, he pledged that the Gepids would forever be close allies with the Goths and would work to preserve the Empire against all foes, within and without. [FN8]

[FN1] Okay, I’m a bit of a literature nerd; anyone who gets this reference gets 100 counterfactual points 

[FN2] Ga-Run is a translation from Gothic for “counsil” and is fairly close to what the English would later call a Thing or a Moot; a meeting ofnobles to decided thefate of the realm.

[FN3] A reference to the growing legend of Ardaric Kingslayer who, following his escape from the Gepids, is claimed to hae stalked the countryside as a werewolf for some time; this is a reference to the legends of Sigurd who the same thing was said of.

[FN4] it’s a bit more complicated than this. As you will remember, the Gepids received Rhoman support to beat the Lobmrds to drive them from Sigidunum. However, they refused to give up the city once it had been captured. The Rhomans are desperate to retake it for a number of reasons; first of all, they can not bare the thought of losing Imperial territory, especially to treachery. Secondly, with the depopulation going on in the Balkans, they feel that the city and its fort are central to continuing their efence of teir own terrtiroy. Finally, with the settlement of the Lombards the Rhomanian Emperor fears the possibility of raids from te West.

[FN5] This is actually a bit of a spoiler, which I really hesitated about sharing. I eventually decided to, but I’m not telling you what this place is in OTL ;) If anyone wants to deceipher it, I will give you 1000 counterfactual points! :D

[FN6] Arians believe that Jesus was created by God the creator and, so, is NOT the unbegotten son of the Father. As a result, they see him as a creation, or creature; sharing in the Father’s substance, but not exactly the same, and, as a result, lesser. These words, then, are coming into the Arian Church to describe Jesus and his relationship to the Father.

[FN7] This is the same place as the OTL battle of the Breadfield against the Ottomans by the Hungarians. The ATL name translates into Wheatfield and so has much of the same sense.

[FN8] You might gather some fundamental truths about the personality and goals of Amalaric from this exchange and its aftermath. Although not the warrior that his father was, he is certainly not foolish and is willing to use diplomacy to reach his goals.

Okay, at long last, we return to the Western Empire of the Goths, even as it works to extend it authority outside of its traditional realm of authority. I hope you have enjoyed it, and a further look into the character of Amalaric I. After this, I feel like I should catch up on the events of the Eastern Empire before returning to show the end of Amalaric's reign. Then we'll take a look at the Vandals and finally turn our eyes towards Britain which, as I've hinted, has been impacted heavily by butterflies.

First of all, great update DM! I like how Amalaric dealt with the Avars, it seems that the West has the upper hand against the horse-borne Hordes for once. I particularly liked how he had foreseen how the Avars would do the "false retreat" trick and worked around it. Anyhow;

SNIPPITY-SNIP...
[FN5] This is actually a bit of a spoiler, which I really hesitated about sharing. I eventually decided to, but I’m not telling you what this place is in OTL ;) If anyone wants to deceipher it, I will give you 1000 counterfactual points! :D..SNIP!!!.

Hmm, I'm gonna go with either Reykjavik, Iceland or Patagonia :D.