I can't say I'm surprised you're befuddled.:) I do wonder, in the Somers instance, how this is more, or less, consistent.
Well, I was going to say that Suzanne Somers was a bona fide sex symbol of the era, so presumably, men and boys who were alive and old enough at that time would think highly of her, but apparently you're not the only one who was blind to her purported charms. (I'm not a huge fan either, which is why I had no problem butterflying her fame.)

phx1138 said:
Don't recall it, but have heard of it. The irony of it stuck with me.;)
Well, since this thread has demonstrated a knack for bringing people out of the woodwork, allow me to throw down the proverbial gauntlet. Has anyone reading seen E/R?

phx1138 said:
You will notice, this time, I didn't suggest Ritter himself fall under a bus.:p
I should hope not! His OTL death was plenty tragic.

phx1138 said:
:cool::cool: "I swear, I thought they could fly".:p
The line is, and I quote: "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." :D

I particularly Liked the episode In Concert. They handled the serious subject very well.
"In Concert" and "Turkeys Away" seem to be the two episodes everyone remembers. I've often found that a sitcom is truly iconic if people can remember at least two episodes.

One tends to assume that farce is such a characteristically 'English' form of comedy that you get surprised when you see it elsewhere, but this is probably giving ourselves too much exceptionalist credit. I mean I even found out recently that America used to have pantomimes back in the day...
Any doubts that American television and farce go together can be allayed with three simple words: I Love Lucy :cool:

I had the "pleasure" of watching Williams perform at The Punch Line" in San Francisco either in late '83 or '84. (I was stationed at Alameda for a big chunk of the 80s and can only place the incident in reference to deployments.) It was a "pleasure", you see, because Williams wasn't scheduled to perform...

"The Punch Line" was part of a skyscraper complex. A multi-story parking garage takes up the entire block there with the skyscraper further rising from just a portion of the block's footprint. The rest of the garage's roof is taken up by a small park and "The Punchline".

The club is long and narrow with the bar and stage set opposite each other along the long sides of the building. We were on an otherwise normal weekday night watching an otherwise normal weekday line-up. A female comedian, whose name I never remembered and whose face I never saw again, was at the mic working her way through a formulaic routine about her boyfriend when a voice from the bar shouted "BULLSHIT!"

The stage hand quickly swung a spot onto the heckler because that's exactly what a heckled comedian needs; you must quickly, savagely, and humorously strike the heckler down to keep the crowd on your side. The spot swings around, all eyes follow it, and the heckler is revealed as...

... Robin Williams. (Which you'd already guessed.)

We all stare in shock as Williams leaves bar, walks through the shallow seating area, gets up on stage, takes the mic from the woman who had been working there, and proceeds to do 10 minutes of stream-of-consciousness stuff that left us gasping.

We were all still goggling when Williams simply stopped in the middle of some riff, handed the mic back to the female comedian, and left the club. She stood there for a brief period, hung the mic up, and walked off.

At first we all talked about how amazing the whole incident had been but within minutes we all also began to realize what an world record example of titanic egotistical douchebaggery we'd witnessed.

Before this, I'd been content to enjoy Williams in small doses. After this, if Williams was on fire I wouldn't cross the street to piss on him.

I read many years later that Williams had been going through a bad period during this time. The story was that the cruel hangover that always follows immediate overwhelming fame was hammering him, that his personal life was in a shambles, that he was using a lot of cocaine, plus a lot of other usual excuses. I also read that what we'd witnessed at "The Punch Line" occurred in other clubs in other cities across the US; Williams would finish his headliner set at some big venue, then sneak off to some small comedy club, hide at the bar for a while, and then take over someone's set.

What a swell guy.

I'm sure we've all heard of or received this advice concerning women: If you want to judge a woman's character watch how all other women treat her. The same holds true across the board. You can judge someone's character by watching how their peers treat them. Williams, like Leno, is despised by other comedians and that treatment has been earned.
I want to thank you so much for sharing this with us, Flubber - what an incredible experience that must have been. Obviously it's something that you remember vividly, even thirty years down the line. And it makes for a fantastic story! I have only one burning question: seeing that you were stationed in Alameda throughout the 1980s, I must ask if you were there when Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was filming. Were you at the Alameda naval base where the nuclear wessels are? Across the bay, in Alameda? :D

As the commenter "responsible", I feel somewhat obligated to give my opinion
By all means! :)

The Blue-Eyed Infidel said:
Susan Anton - I feel this is an upgrade; I honestly never found Suzanne Somers talented or (and I realize this is somewhat idiosyncratic) all that attractive.
Poor Suzanne Somers. I would almost feel sorry for her, except that I don't feel sorry for her at all.

Pam Dawber - I can see this causing a slight shift in the characterization, but pretty much a one-for-one swap.
Well, OTL has demonstrated that Dawber can convincingly play a woman in love with a goofball... take from that what you may ;)

Irene Lorenzo - I found Audra Lindley fairly grating, but I suspect this is as much a function of the writing as the actress in question, so again, probably a one-for-one swap.
I've not seen Lindley in anything other than Three's Company IOTL, so I'm not sure if that was her type or not. Garrett, I think, would play it slightly warmer and softer.

Norman Fell - Glad you decided to keep him in the role, and that it will last longer than OTL; while Don Knotts didn't do a bad job as the replacement for the Ropers, I thought Fell was quite good in the role.
As do I - he made much more of an impression on me than Knotts, actually (as he also appears to have done in popular culture, despite the latter's much longer run).

Not a fan; while I actually thought he was OK in Roseanne (which was the last time he allowed himself to play an unsympathic character) and excellent in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou (where his smarminess actually works with the characterization), I've been left cold by the rest of his performances - those that I've seen - for pretty much the reasons you state.
Thank you, TB-EI - between you and the handful of others who share my distaste for Clooney, I'm not feeling so lonely anymore :)

Of course he was, it was the second time he played a landlord. :D
And he would play one again in an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, complete with the requisite shout-out to Three's Company ;)

One more page to go... :cool:
I can hardly believe it. And then, 20 posts later, yet another milestone ending with several zeroes! :eek:

Seriously, all of you guys are amazing. It's a pretty busy time for me IRL, but I hope to have the next update ready soon :)

"In Concert" and "Turkeys Away" seem to be the two episodes everyone remembers. I've often found that a sitcom is truly iconic if people can remember at least two episodes.

Also: "Something Old, Nothing New" -- a.k.a. that Very Special Episode in which Venus Flytrap explains the atom.

Flubber

Banned
I want to thank you so much for sharing this with us, Flubber - what an incredible experience that must have been. Obviously it's something that you remember vividly, even thirty years down the line. And it makes for a fantastic story!

It has stuck with me all these years because it was so shocking.

I have only one burning question: seeing that you were stationed in Alameda throughout the 1980s, I must ask if you were there when Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was filming. Were you at the Alameda naval base where the nuclear wessels are? Across the bay, in Alameda? :D

I was stationed in Alameda during the period and aboard one of the four nuclear "wessels" there. Doohan did make a visit to Alameda supposedly scouting for locations. I remember an article in the base newspaper complete with a photo of Doohan joking around with the base commander in his office. Sadly, none of the movie was shot in Alameda.

In fact, IIRC, Ranger stood in for Enterprise in the movie as the latter wasn't available for whatever reason.

I will never cease to be floored and amazed by the incredible response to this timeline. Exactly eleven months ago today, I posted a quirky little plot-bunny of an idea I had about a fun alternate pop-culture scenario, and today it has achieved popularity on par with some of my very wildest dreams (for like That Wacky Redhead, I dream big dreams - and you should, too).

Congratulations! The success is well deserved.

And Mr. Roper? Well...

And as you can see, I agreed with you! I decided to flip-flop and cast Fell in his iconic OTL role, and not usurp him in favour of Don Knotts ITTL.

Not that I am an expert on Three's Company by any means, but I am glad to hear it. I am not saying Don Knotts was bad, it was just a different dynamic with him. He was more Larry Part II: The Older Years.

Also: why are his defenders so eager to absolve him of his failures? He was terrible in Batman & Robin - no ifs, ands, or buts! He should own that!

Oh my, I completely forgot about Batman And Robin. How can one forget about Batman and Robin? I know Mr. Clooney wishes we all would, and now that I remember it I wish I could go back to forgetting it... But yeah, enough said on that particular role.

Not a fan; while I actually thought he was OK in Roseanne (which was the last time he allowed himself to play an unsympathic character) and excellent in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou (where his smarminess actually works with the characterization), I've been left cold by the rest of his performances - those that I've seen - for pretty much the reasons you state.

This is probably where he does shine, where he can play a smug, jerk of a character. After a while, though, his personality starts to wear. That's why movies work better for him than TV, I would think. Personally speaking, that is. As his success shows he has tons of fans who would love to see him in any venue.

Well, since this thread has demonstrated a knack for bringing people out of the woodwork, allow me to throw down the proverbial gauntlet. Has anyone reading seen E/R?

Yes indeed! Not by choice, as I was only 6 or 7 if I recall. Long before I would get my own TV. But my parents, and more specifically my mother watched just about any medical show that was on. So I got to watch them too, if I wanted to watch TV at all. I recall Clooney was a wise cracking orderly or something. He would roll in a gurney, make a wisecrack, and roll out.

But I recall that years later when ER came around, I made references to E/R and no one remembered it. Including my mother. So I suppose it just wasn't that memorable. I tend to mix it up with the later Nurses myself, when trying to think of actual plots. My mother still watches medical dramas, but has abandoned all sitcoms for the most part, and I am happy to say I can afford my own TV (and place to view it in) at this juncture in life, so the confluence that lead to me seeing E/R probably cannot be repeated.

Brainbin said:
Well, I was going to say that Suzanne Somers was a bona fide sex symbol of the era
I did know that, but never understood it.:confused::confused: Of course, I never knew why everybody thought Farrah was great-looking, either.:rolleyes::confused: (Cheryl, OTOH...:cool::cool::cool:)
Brainbin said:
I'm not a huge fan either
Brace yourself: we agree.:eek::p
Brainbin said:
The line is, and I quote: "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." :D
Why am I not even a little surprised you know that?:):cool:
Brainbin said:
a sitcom is truly iconic if people can remember at least two episodes.
"WKRP" makes it for sure, then.:cool::cool: To which I'd add the "godless tornadoes" episode.:p And the visit of Andy's sister, which troubled me the most, since it seemed to run contrary to his character...:(
Brainbin said:
Well, OTL has demonstrated that Dawber can convincingly play a woman in love with a goofball... take from that what you may ;)
You don't suppose she's drawing on life experience?:p (That could explain the three divorces...:p)
Brainbin said:
As do I - he made much more of an impression on me than Knotts, actually (as he also appears to have done in popular culture, despite the latter's much longer run).
I preferred Fell, but that's colored by the fact I could never stand Don Knotts.:rolleyes:
Brainbin said:
Seriously, all of you guys are amazing.
:) I claim no credit. You make it easy.;) The success is well-deserved. Congrats.

Now, everybody bump to hit 100.:p

"WKRP" makes it for sure, then.:cool::cool: To which I'd add the "godless tornadoes" episode.:p And the visit of Andy's sister, which troubled me the most, since it seemed to run contrary to his character...:(

I would add the episodes with/where:

• everyone but Andy is celebrating moving from 16th to 14th in the ratings. (the scene where Supertramp's Goodbye, Stranger plays is, IMO, the best "dramatic" part of the series)
  • the drinking / reaction time episode
  • the ex-wrestler radio evangelist
  • the bomb in the transmitter
  • the return of Johnny Fever / payola episode ("industrial-grade foot powder")
  • the funeral home jingle ("Someday, you're gonna buy it!")
Now, everybody bump to hit 100.:p

Doing my part...

TB-EI

everyone but Andy is celebrating moving from 16th to 14th in the ratings.
And nobody but Andy & Venus realizes just a change in format will do that?;)
the bomb in the transmitter
I loved that one.:cool:
industrial-grade foot powder
I'm thinking, "Did I say, 'Send in the clowns'?" Am I wrong?

And going to show they didn't shy from social commentary, the episode where somebody tried to get "Imagine" banned. Who knew Carlson had the stones for that?:cool::cool:
Doing my part...
Thanks for an excuse to bump it again.;)

I'm thinking, "Did I say, 'Send in the clowns'?" Am I wrong?

I think you are; that's the episode that Bailey produces a public-affairs talk show.

Also missed, in my first list:

• Mr. Carlson runs for city council ("How badly do you want to lose this election?")
  • Johnny thinks he hears the voice of God ("John, I love you, I want you to seek knowledge, and I want you to be a golf pro.")
  • Jennifer unknowningly has nude pictures taken of her ("Do not lie to me, Mr Gonzer! I will not tolerate your lies!")
  • Vicky von Vicky ("Did it go well?" "I don't think she's gonna sue, if that's what you mean.")
  • the radio consultant ("N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestle's makes the very best. Choc-late")
  • Herb's picture ends up in place of Venus's in an ad campaign
Thanks for an excuse to bump it again.;)

Back at'cha.

TB-EI

I think you are; that's the episode that Bailey produces a public-affairs talk show.
:eek:
  • Mr. Carlson runs for city council ("How badly do you want to lose this election?")
  • Johnny thinks he hears the voice of God ("John, I love you, I want you to seek knowledge, and I want you to be a golf pro.")
  • Jennifer unknowningly has nude pictures taken of her ("Do not lie to me, Mr Gonzer! I will not tolerate your lies!")
  • Vicky von Vicky ("Did it go well?" "I don't think she's gonna sue, if that's what you mean.")
  • the radio consultant ("N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestle's makes the very best. Choc-late")
  • Herb's picture ends up in place of Venus's in an ad campaign
Now you're getting esoteric. I don't recall any of those at all...:eek:
Back at'cha.
How many posts do we need to make it to 100?:p