TOS was on so often growing up (BBC2 and C4) that I have no idea which was my first episode.
However I was old enough that the first of the later series would be Encounter at Farpoint

Thande

Donor
Capital idea, Thande, and it's nice to see that your suggestion has already caught on! Of course, I'd love to find out what your first episode was...

I definitively know what my first TNG episode was - "The Wounded" - but I'm not sure about TOS, as it was always on the telly in the background when I was growing up, as was TAS. The earliest TOS episodes I recall seeing include "City on the Edge of Forever", "The Ultimate Computer", "The Doomsday Machine", "The Alternative Factor", "And the Children Shall Lead" and "The Devil in the Dark". I'm assuming the channel in question must have been using a random broadcast order because I seem to recall all of those being on around the same time.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
I'm in the Trek by osmosis camp, so no clear idea which OS episode would have been my 'First'. :eek:

Belated Happy Anniversary, by the way. :cool:

Falkenburg

The first Trek I ever saw was Star Trek II:TWOK when it was shown on the BBC sometime around the mid-80s, when I was about 7. The Ceti Eel scared the crap out of me (I used to fast-forward our taped copy through the part where Khan puts them in the helmets), but loved everything else. That then drove me to watch STIII, and hire TAS from the local video store, which I enjoyed at the time. I hired Encounter at Farpoint as soon as it appeared in the video store, then watched TNG as it was broadcast on BBC-2 (assuming they didn't have something they deemed more important to show, like Wimbledon, golf, or the National Tiddlywinks League Southern England Regional Qualifiers :mad:) I don't think I ever saw an episode of TOS until it started appearing on BBC-2 in the early 90s (IIRC that was about when Sky bought the rights to TNG and banished Picard and co. from free-to-air TV in the UK for several years), so my first TOS episode was probably either Where No Man Has Gone Before or The Corbomite Manouver.

Another question you could ask people is which was the first episode they ever saw, if they can remember. That in my experience tends to influence top ten lists and it often appears on there for personal reasons.

I wouldn't know which it was since I first saw it in reruns. I know I loved outer space and knew all the planets when I was 6 or 7, but I wouldn't know when I actually first saw an episode.

However, I believe I mentioned in my top 10 that one memory which stands out is the shock of seeing Captain Kirk alive at the end of Amok Time because I wasn't old enough to realize they don't kill stars off; I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8. And, I think I put "Amok Time" fairly high on my list so that's definitely true about early memories playing apart. (Though it can't be the first since I know that I knew Kirk was one of the stars.)

Last edited:
TOS was on so often growing up (BBC2 and C4) that I have no idea which was my first episode.

That's basically the position I'm in, except that I'm sure that I saw many of the TOS episodes during their first broadcast on BBC1. I know that because I remember watching Miri which was part of the first run but dropped from subsequent reruns.

For the first run on the BBC, the episodes were mixed together to produce four seasons. I remember watching Trek on Monday evenings, but not on Saturday afternoons, so the first episode I saw is probably from the BBC's second "season". It could well have been Court Martial.

Cheers,
Nigel.

I must admit that I'd have absolutely no idea which Star Trek episode I saw first. For Doctor Who I can give a slightly better answer - the earliest episode I can remember anything about is a scene of Cybermen in the sewers from the sixth season episode The Invasion. The first episode for which I can remember any details of the plot is the eighth season episode Terror of the Autons. I guess that means that ITTL, I'd be able to remember the crossover episode.

Incidentally, as well as the fiftieth anniversary special, the BBC is doing a drama about the creation of the Doctor Who series.

Cheers,
Nigel.

My earliest Doctor Who memory is "Nyssa and Tegan turn into kids", which with hindsight I can identify as "Mawdryn Undead".

My earliest Star Trek memory is "Kirk and a landing party beam down to a planet", which is a little harder to pin down...

Well! This informal query certainly caught on, and I'd like to thank you all for coming along with me on this trip down Memory Lane. However, the findings remind me very much of a lesson learned in marketing class: when creating a market survey, avoid such questions as "When did you eat your first hamburger", because many people don't actually remember (or care to remember) when they did. These posts made for some great anecdotes, no question, but the high degree of supposition involved probably doesn't speak well for its validity in an empirical context :p Of course, life wouldn't be nearly as much fun if we had to apply scientific rigour to everything, now would it? :D

Can I be sarcastic and give Home as my first Star Trek episode?
Nice to hear from you again, Lizzie - did you ever get a chance to watch the original series? Because if you haven't yet, the first episode you watch will be the first episode you've seen :) (And since you live in the UK, you apparently still have the opportunity to watch the episodes broadcast in their original form, for which I greatly envy you.)

That's me. I mean, I saw TOS fairly early on as well (maybe 8 or 9), but I started watching [REDACTED] when I was a toddler (well, not actively watching it - it just happened to be on while I was playing or whatever). I know a lot of people my age whose mental image of Star Trek is not Kirk, Spock, Bones, and Scotty, but [REDACTED]. Seeing Klingons without ridges was a shock.

Sorry Brainbin! :eek::p
Well, to be fair, Klingons with the forehead ridges were an innovation of the movies ;)

But I understand what you're saying. And since we're all confiding, I'll admit that I've been there too. Honestly, in a very real way, the modern spinoffs of Star Trek were my childhood - I was born the same year the first of them premiered, and I reached my majority the same year the last of them was cancelled. Not that I actively watched any of them as they were in first-run, mind, but there's no question the first of the Star Trek series I was exposed to was the same as yours, in much the same circumstances.

In fact, one of the things I've always hoped for with That Wacky Redhead is that it might be able to help my fellow Millennials appreciate the original Star Trek more.

A Question...Space Seed goes as OTL or were more pre-production changes(not only about the Supermen being nordic or khan but about background and which will be the date, OTL they wanted even more later like 2400 or 2500 IIRC), so how goes that thing in that regard?
The episode aired in substantially the same form as IOTL, including the "200 years" reference (which is consistent with most chronological references in the show as it aired, with the glaring exception of "The Squire of Gothos"). Canon (in the miniseries The Next Voyage) eventually proclaimed the five-year mission to have been set during the period 2165-70, which makes the "200 years" a lowball estimate (or rounding; IOTL, Khan says in Star Trek II that "200 years ago, I was a prince", when it actually would have been nearly 300 years ago by that point). The progress of the space program had already slowed considerably by the early 1980s IOTL, which is why they declared the five-year mission to be 300 years into the future (2265-70) instead of 200 years; by 1978 ITTL, people are far more optimistic about that sort of thing.

The first episode I watched would have been the first episode aired, as I remember planning to watch the series when it first aired. I had forgotten which episode it was, but according to Memory Alpha, it was "The Man Trap".
So, Chuck, you were watching the night it all began: September 8, 1966, a Thursday, at 8:30 PM. Although, technically, Star Trek made its world premiere in Canada, on CTV, two days before, for whatever reason. And if I'm not mistaken, you were on the West Coast, which means that you would have seen it three hours after everyone on the Eastern Seaboard. Still, I'm so tickled that one of my readers witnessed that historic event that I decided to look up the station you were watching it on at the time:

Kcra-1975.png

KCRA-3 Sacramento, is that right? If so, I hope you enjoy this blast from the past :)

I have no clear memory of which ST:TOS episodes I saw in their first run either; I know I watched many of them but I couldn't tell you which ones.
Do you recall when the show began airing in New Zealand? I can't seem to find out via Google search; I did learn that Australia began airing the show in July of 1967 (two years ahead of the UK! :eek:) but I'm not sure if those broadcast signals would have crossed the ditch.

Of Star Trek in terms of the series that started it all... I honestly don't remember. I think it might have been The Devil in the Dark, but that is very shaky.
Well, at the very least, that's the first episode that made a strong impression on you, so it deserves a special mention all the same. I am curious, though; was the original series subtitled, or had it been imported to Sweden before subbing became the standard practice?

1974 and Space Seed-I know too late :p
I already have your year of birth logged, JSmith, but thank you anyway. (Even if I hadn't, I would have included my final survey results among my closing posts.) That said, if you have other favourite episodes beyond "Space Seed" (hopefully five or more? :)) I would love to hear them.

The first Star Trek episode I remember to have watched must have been Charlie X, because I only remember the end of that episode. I was eight when we watched it on TV in 1984. I did not like it (or Star Trek) at that time.
This changed with Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan a friend of my did have of videotape. We did watch it often in 1988. And since when I was a Star Trek fan and taped every single Star Trek episode (except TOS) and movie shown on TV in Germany.
Thank you for your recollection! (And for providing your age as well - very efficient ;))

Fair enough, Professor. Your experience is by no means a unique one, as has become obvious by now :p

I'm not sure about TOS, as it was always on the telly in the background when I was growing up, as was TAS. The earliest TOS episodes I recall seeing include "City on the Edge of Forever", "The Ultimate Computer", "The Doomsday Machine", "The Alternative Factor", "And the Children Shall Lead" and "The Devil in the Dark". I'm assuming the channel in question must have been using a random broadcast order because I seem to recall all of those being on around the same time.
Interesting. Three of the best episodes and two of the worst (Along with "The Ultimate Computer" - I'd call that upper-mid-card).

Belated Happy Anniversary, by the way. :cool:
Thank you, Falkenburg :D

The first Trek I ever saw was Star Trek II:TWOK when it was shown on the BBC sometime around the mid-80s, when I was about 7. The Ceti Eel scared the crap out of me (I used to fast-forward our taped copy through the part where Khan puts them in the helmets), but loved everything else. That then drove me to watch STIII, and hire TAS from the local video store, which I enjoyed at the time.
Really? Do you recall if the video store had the original series available (given that Star Trek was one of the first shows to appear on virtually all home video formats, at least under NTSC), or did you (or perhaps the parent/guardian who was paying for the rental) feel that a cartoon would be more "suitable" given your youth?

However, I believe I mentioned in my top 10 that one memory which stands out is the shock of seeing Captain Kirk alive at the end of Amok Time because I wasn't old enough to realize they don't kill stars off; I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8. And, I think I put "Amok Time" fairly high on my list so that's definitely true about early memories playing apart. (Though it can't be the first since I know that I knew Kirk was one of the stars.)
There does seem to be a moderately strong correlation between the primacy effect and episodes appearing on best-of lists, yes.

That's basically the position I'm in, except that I'm sure that I saw many of the TOS episodes during their first broadcast on BBC1. I know that because I remember watching Miri which was part of the first run but dropped from subsequent reruns.

For the first run on the BBC, the episodes were mixed together to produce four seasons. I remember watching Trek on Monday evenings, but not on Saturday afternoons, so the first episode I saw is probably from the BBC's second "season". It could well have been Court Martial.
That's very interesting, Nigel. Would you happen to recall what the BBC aired in those ten minutes before Star Trek? I know there's no advertising because it's funded by the licencing scheme, so I wonder if they filled the ten-minute gap with anything in particular, or if a program that started prior to 7:00 was finishing instead (because the first "season" aired at 5:15, which meant that the show wouldn't finish until 6:05). ITTL, the series probably would have run for six "seasons" of about 22 episodes apiece.

My earliest Star Trek memory is "Kirk and a landing party beam down to a planet", which is a little harder to pin down...
You know, that inspired me to revive an old idea of mine: a Star Trek cliches episode checklist. You've already got me working on the template! :D

Out of curiosity, am I the youngest demographics contributor?
Indeed you are, wolfram. Thanks for helping to make the half-century readership range possible! :)

Thande

Donor
You know, that inspired me to revive an old idea of mine: a Star Trek cliches episode checklist. You've already got me working on the template! :D

I recall that someone on a predecessor to this site, amid a load of explicitly AH stories,* did "the lost Star Trek episode" which was about the ship accidentally time-travelling back to the American Revolutionary War. The reason I bring it up was that the writer seemed to use every Star Trek cliché, but in a subtle enough way that it wasn't explicitly a parody (aside from perhaps overdoing the 'redshirts getting killed' part).

* Another one, IIRC from the same bloke, was relevant in a subtler way--the POD was that the Trinity test failed and this extended the conventional war with Japan, and it showed the cost of war by having several famous names from OTL be killed in the last pointless days of the war, including Lt. Gene Roddenberry. As happened to many people in OTL, albeit more with WW1 than WW2.

So, Chuck, you were watching the night it all began: September 8, 1966, a Thursday, at 8:30 PM. Although, technically, Star Trek made its world premiere in Canada, on CTV, two days before, for whatever reason. And if I'm not mistaken, you were on the West Coast, which means that you would have seen it three hours after everyone on the Eastern Seaboard. Still, I'm so tickled that one of my readers witnessed that historic event that I decided to look up the station you were watching it on at the time:

Kcra-1975.png

KCRA-3 Sacramento, is that right? If so, I hope you enjoy this blast from the past :)

Correct on all points, except the station logo does not trigger any memory. Looking it up on Wikipedia, I see this version dates from 1975, after I had moved away.

That's very interesting, Nigel. Would you happen to recall what the BBC aired in those ten minutes before Star Trek? I know there's no advertising because it's funded by the licencing scheme, so I wonder if they filled the ten-minute gap with anything in particular, or if a program that started prior to 7:00 was finishing instead (because the first "season" aired at 5:15, which meant that the show wouldn't finish until 6:05). ITTL, the series probably would have run for six "seasons" of about 22 episodes apiece.

Interesting question. One thing to bear in mind is that the BBC schedule included a number of shows made in the US which, without adverts, don't fit easily into a one hour time slot. That means that generally programmes didn't start on the hour.

For the first BBC season, the answer's fairly easy as Star Trek was broadcast in Doctor Who's timeslot, which at that time meant that it came after Grandstand (the afternoon's sports coverage).

For the rest I'm not so sure - however, I've found a website that gives the schedules for some of the days when Star Trek was broadcast:

9-Aug-69 - BBC season 1, so a Saturday afternoon broadcast

22-Jun-70 - BBC season 2, a Monday evening. In this case, Star Trek was preceeded by Wimbledon highlights. I think that Z-Cars was broadcast at that time normally.

4-Nov-70 - BBC season 3, a Wednesday evening. Preceeded by The Doctors (that's a BBC Drama Series, not the US Soap Opera) with Tom and Jerry filling a ten minute gap in the schedule.

Oh, and here's the schedule for 23-Nov-63.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
with Tom and Jerry filling a ten minute gap in the schedule.

I remember in my childhood in the late 80s the Beeb (and ITV) were still enamoured of using classic Warner Brothers (mostly) cartoons to fill small gaps in the TV schedule. You wouldn't get that nowadays, and it's a bit of a shame. What with the rise of dedicated digital channels, anything classed as 'for kids' ends up ghettoised away from the sight of adults, and as a result you start to lose the 'parental bonus' style of writing because there's no motivation for it.

Do you recall if the video store had the original series available (given that Star Trek was one of the first shows to appear on virtually all home video formats, at least under NTSC), or did you (or perhaps the parent/guardian who was paying for the rental) feel that a cartoon would be more "suitable" given your youth?

I'm not sure whether they had TOS or not (it was a pretty small store, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were missing), but I suspect even if they did that the more child-oriented nature of TAS would probably have directed me towards that show anyway. I was probably browsing in the kids section, spotted it and though 'oh, like that cool film I saw!'. I especially remember i-Chaya and Giant Spock as being highlights. Shortly afterwards TNG came along, and TOS just didn't seem appealing, so it took me a while to discover and fall in love with.

In this case, Star Trek was preceeded by Wimbledon highlights.

At least at that stage they showed both rather than just bumped Trek. I hate Wimbledon!!!

Unfortunately, continued RL issues have prevented me from getting out the next update as soon as I would have wanted to (i.e. prior to the two-year anniversary on the 18th) but I'm working on it and I hope to have it ready soon after.
Okay, I think I know what the next update is about... but as opposed to last time, I'm keeping it to my self this time.

Well, at the very least, that's the first episode that made a strong impression on you, so it deserves a special mention all the same. I am curious, though; was the original series subtitled, or had it been imported to Sweden before subbing became the standard practice?
Well after subbing was standard practice - it has been standard practice for as long as I can remember. For various reasons, mainly the fact of which channel showed Star Trek and that I did not wish to pirate Star Trek, I didn't actually watch an episode until 2009 (which point I watched several episodes in rapid succession, since the channel showed one a day) - and by then I had already read up on episodes, since it didn't look likely that I'd get to see them legally.:eek:

I remember in my childhood in the late 80s the Beeb (and ITV) were still enamoured of using classic Warner Brothers (mostly) cartoons to fill small gaps in the TV schedule. You wouldn't get that nowadays, and it's a bit of a shame. What with the rise of dedicated digital channels, anything classed as 'for kids' ends up ghettoised away from the sight of adults, and as a result you start to lose the 'parental bonus' style of writing because there's no motivation for it.

Very true. Thankfully there have been a few exceptions, such as Animaniacs.

In the Seventies, the BBC used the classic Disney shorts as schedule fillers, but Tom and Jerry seemed to be their favourite.

At least at that stage they showed both rather than just bumped Trek. I hate Wimbledon!!!

That used to happen quite a lot, especially when the Olympics were on. They even bumped children's programmes on Budget day - thankfully they only shifted them to BBC2.

In this case they bumped Z-Cars. However since they were producing two episodes a week for the rest of the year, they probably needed a break.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited:
A very good and attractive TL.A little question:you said that the story is almost done:did you mean that you'll stop when Lucille Ball dies ?

I'm pretty sure the same episode had McCoy examining the body of a redshirt, although I don't recall if he announced his findings...