You know what would've been interesting... if Belushi and Williams were allowed to work together on the show with Pryor... the comedy that could've been...

Shatner actually appeared in a comedic parody film called Monkey World in the mid-1970s ITTL, lampooning the success of the Planet of the Apes franchise;

I'd forgotten that - Clorox, can you pass the pillow !

I actually rather like the idea of Shatner and Graves - the faces of the "House that Paladin Built" era of Desilu, acting together onscreen

And if Graves ends up in TTL's Police Squad instead of Nielson, then he might be re-united with Peter Lupas.

You'll get an answer either way

Intriguing !

although note that, IOTL, the final Airport sequel (called The Concorde, no less!) did horrendously and was apparently marketed as a campy, unintentional comedy

And it became something of a Funny Aneurysm Moment as the Concorde used in the film was the same one that crashed in Gonesse shortly after take-off in 2000.

I would say that Airplane! was more the finishing blow of a devastatingly effective one-two punch than the sole catalyst. Not that I wouldn't miss it if it were gone - that movie gets right what so many imitators have utterly failed to grasp.

Very true.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Unfortunately, continued RL issues have prevented me from getting out the next update as soon as I would have wanted to (i.e. prior to the two-year anniversary on the 18th) but I'm working on it and I hope to have it ready soon after. Remember, if you have a list of favourite Star Trek episodes or you wanted to submit your birth year for posterity, you have no time to waste! I'll be aggregating and posting the results on the 18th, and measuring them against my findings from last year.

You know what would've been interesting... if Belushi and Williams were allowed to work together on the show with Pryor... the comedy that could've been...
Perhaps, although I wonder if that much... enthusiasm could have been contained on a single stage for a sustained period.

And if Graves ends up in TTL's Police Squad instead of Nielson, then he might be re-united with Peter Lupus.
Who, I remind you, was forced to leave Mission: Impossible early (and, unlike ITTL, was not invited back), which would add more poignancy to such a reunion.

NCW8 said:
And it became something of a Funny Aneurysm Moment as the Concorde used in the film was the same one that crashed in Gonesse shortly after take-off in 2000.
I have nothing to add that would not be a horrendously distasteful wry observation (or pun), so I'll refrain.

Today marks the second anniversary of That Wacky Redhead, and I wanted to celebrate the occasion, some 530,000 views and 3,344 replies after it had all began. The list of people to thank for helping me to make this timeline what it is today is going to be saved for the very end, but to everyone who has had a part, know that I will always appreciate your kindness and generosity. I was a lurker for a long time until shortly before I started this thread, but Ive never felt any less than welcome. I decided to follow up my surveys from last year and share the results with all of you, to get an idea of changes (or the lack thereof) over time[FONT=&quot]…
[/FONT]
Poster Demographics

TWR Poster Demographics II.png

Here is a chart showing the birth decades of our posters. As was the case all through last year, 1970s and the 1980s have constantly struggled for the first place position. At present, the 1980s edge out the 1970s with 16 posters over their 14, and the 1960s finish third with 10; the 1990s, however, are close behind, with 9 posters. The 1950s have 5 posters, the same amount as this time last year, for a total of 54. The oldest poster was born in 1950; the youngest was born in 1999, which means that the readership of this thread spans at least a half-century :cool: The mean year of birth is 1977, the median is 1978, and the mode is also 1978, the only year with four data points. Therefore, we have two averages, out of thirty-five total different years of birth. Clearly, the measures of central tendency are crystallizing as our sample size grows.

Top 10 Star Trek Episodes

I chose to recognize 17 submissions for this one, ranging in size from six entries all the way to twenty. Although I want to thank all of you for participating, I felt that any one- or two-episode submissions I received would skew the data excessively. As with last year, I decided to rank the episodes in absolute terms; unqualified inclusion on the list merited one point, and the number of honourable mentions would then serve as tie-breaker; no regard was paid to strict ranking by individual submitters.

1. “The Trouble with Tribbles” [FONT=&quot]– as was the case last year, this was the only episode to appear on every list (17/17). Last year: #1[/FONT]
  2. “The City on the Edge of Forever” – although it maintains its high standing, the Hype Backlash definitely set in this year (14/17). Last year: #2
  3. “Balance of Terror” – apart from “Tribbles”, the only episode to appear in every new submission, which gave it a healthy boost (13/17). Last year: #5
  4. “Mirror, Mirror” – fun fact: the score for “Mirror” is actually a remix of the score for “Balance” (12/17). Last year: #3
  5. “The Doomsday Machine” – ironically, apparently D.C. Fontana’s least favourite episode. I don’t get it either (11/17). Last year: #4
  6. “The Devil in the Dark” – William Shatner’s favourite episode, except when it’s “City” (9/17). Last year: #6
  7. “A Piece of the Action” – as with last year, warrants (dubious) inclusion amongst the majority thanks to honourable mentions (7/17 +3). Last year: #10
  8. A tie between the two same episodes as last year, “Amok Time” and “Space Seed”, though in a different slot (7/17 +1). Last year: #7
  9. none, due to tie for eighth place
  10. “Arena” – the surprise inclusion on last year’s list holds onto its slot in the Top 10, however narrowly (6/17). Last year: #9
Another episode not to change position is our Honourable Mention, “Journey to Babel” (5/17). No other episode placed in more than four submissions.

49 of the 79 episodes (counting “The Menagerie” as one, rather than two, but including “The Cage” as a separate episode) were mentioned in at least one of our seventeen submissions. Of these 49, 18 merited inclusion on only a single list and four did not technically rank at all, but were included only as honourable mentions. Unsurprisingly, the first two seasons continue to dominate the list, no matter how you break it down; as you can see, the Top 10 remains evenly split between them, and only 11 of the 49 chosen episodes are from the Turd Season (“The Enterprise Incident” merited full inclusion on four submissions, by far the most of any third-season episode).

---

Thanks to everyone for reading, for commenting, and for participating in these surveys! And thank you all so much for your enthusiastic and overwhelming support, in general! I’m not sure we’ll be celebrating another anniversary this time next year; slow as I am, we’re still near enough to the finish that even I could probably wrap it up in less than twelve months. As a matter of fact, the next update should (hopefully!) be ready sometime in the next few days, so be sure to keep a lookout for that! :)

TWR Poster Demographics II.png

Thande

Donor
Nice statistical summary of favourite Star Trek episodes there.

Another question you could ask people is which was the first episode they ever saw, if they can remember. That in my experience tends to influence top ten lists and it often appears on there for personal reasons.

Another question you could ask people is which was the first episode they ever saw, if they can remember. That in my experience tends to influence top ten lists and it often appears on there for personal reasons.

I must admit that I'd have absolutely no idea which Star Trek episode I saw first. For Doctor Who I can give a slightly better answer - the earliest episode I can remember anything about is a scene of Cybermen in the sewers from the sixth season episode The Invasion. The first episode for which I can remember any details of the plot is the eighth season episode Terror of the Autons. I guess that means that ITTL, I'd be able to remember the crossover episode.

Incidentally, as well as the fiftieth anniversary special, the BBC is doing a drama about the creation of the Doctor Who series.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Nice statistical summary of favourite Star Trek episodes there.

I'm an odd boat--son of Trekkies, who watched it regularly throughout my childhood. I routinely sneaked down to join my parents in the TV room after I was supposed to be asleep, well before I had any idea what they were really watching. Thus, I know exactly which was my first TOS episode (Trouble with Tribbles, packaged with Trials and Tribble-ations in a box set my dad got for Christmas one year) but have no idea which was my first episode of the whole canon--I have hazy memories of a number of late DS9/early VOY episodes but can't say for sure which was first.

Capital idea, Thande, and it's nice to see that your suggestion has already caught on! Of course, I'd love to find out what your first episode was...

As for me, my first episode was "The Devil in the Dark". I always felt that was a very strong introduction to the show. However, it was not my first Star Trek episode of any kind; that would be "Yesteryear". I assume this was because I watched a lot of cartoons as a kid, and TAS was technically a cartoon, after all...

I never watched or heard of Original Series Star Trek until I was 9 or 10. Before that, I thought Star Trek: The Next Generation was Star Trek. Never knew of Captain Kirk or Spock before then.

I never watched or heard of Original Series Star Trek until I was 9 or 10. Before that, I thought Star Trek: The Next Generation was Star Trek. Never knew of Captain Kirk or Spock before then.

That's me. I mean, I saw TOS fairly early on as well (maybe 8 or 9), but I started watching TNG when I was a toddler (well, not actively watching it - it just happened to be on while I was playing or whatever). I know a lot of people my age whose mental image of Star Trek is not Kirk, Spock, Bones, and Scotty, but Picard, Geordi, Worf and Data. Seeing Klingons without ridges was a shock.

Sorry Brainbin! :eek::p

A Question...Space Seed goes as OTL or were more pre-production changes(not only about the Supermen being nordic or khan but about background and which will be the date, OTL they wanted even more later like 2400 or 2500 IIRC), so how goes that thing in that regard?

The first episode I watched would have been the first episode aired, as I remember planning to watch the series when it first aired. I had forgotten which episode it was, but according to Memory Alpha, it was "The Man Trap".

I must admit that I'd have absolutely no idea which Star Trek episode I saw first. For Doctor Who I can give a slightly better answer - the earliest episode I can remember anything about is a scene of Cybermen in the sewers from the sixth season episode The Invasion. The first episode for which I can remember any details of the plot is the eighth season episode Terror of the Autons. I guess that means that ITTL, I'd be able to remember the crossover episode.

I have no clear memory of which ST:TOS episodes I saw in their first run either; I know I watched many of them but I couldn't tell you which ones.

My earliest memory of Doctor Who is a frightening scene in "The Rescue" where Ian Chesterton was trapped by spikes emerging from the wall while he was traversing a precarious ledge. The earliest serial where I have a fairly clear memory of the whole story is "The Celestial Toymaker".

Of Star Trek episodes in the sense of the overall franchise, it was Caretaker (but it was not the first Star Trek I watched. That was The Voyage Home). Of Star Trek in terms of the series that started it all... I honestly don't remember. I think it might have been The Devil in the Dark, but that is very shaky.

The first Star Trek episode I remember to have watched must have been Charlie X, because I only remember the end of that episode. I was eight when we watched it on TV in 1984. I did not like it (or Star Trek) at that time.
This changed with Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan a friend of my did have of videotape. We did watch it often in 1988. And since when I was a Star Trek fan and taped every single Star Trek epsode (except TOS) and movie shown on TV in Germany.