Technological and Social progress in a continued East Germany

If for some reason the GDR and the Soviet Bloc continued to exist past 1989 (and Honecker-style hard-line politics remained the norm) how do you think the state would have handled the technological and social changes of the world in the 90s and 00s?

Here are some clues from the OTL late 80s, which might provide an avenue for speculation:

-The internet: East Germany reserved the top-level domain ".dd" in 1989. I wonder if East Germany would've used the low penetration of phone lines in the country as an "excuse" not to provide internet service for regular people, or would it have been allowed, but heavily censored.

-Cars: The East German cars Trabant and Wartburg came out with 4-stroke Volkswagen engines by 1989. I wonder if these would've been progressively modernized, or whether the GDR would've outright bought licenses to manufacture local versions of Western cars.

-Religion: The GDR was State Atheist, but the local Protestant church was tolerated to some degree, there were even a few Catholics. I wonder how the state would've reacted to the spread of Pentecostal and Neoprotestant churches, and Eastern religions like Buddhism.

-LGBT rights: Homosexuality was legal in the GDR from the late 60s, and the first (and only) East German coming-out movie was shown in theatres on the same evening the Wall fell in OTL, a State-owned gay bar opened in East Berlin in 1989, though a Westerner was arrested in the 70s, when he tried marching in the East Berlin Anniversary of the DDR Parade with a rainbow flag. Perhaps the GDR's anti-traditional-gender-roles social policy would've led to some acceptance of Genderqueer and Genderfluid people at least.

-Music and Popular Culture: In the GDR in contrast to some other East Bloc countries like Poland and Hungary, there was still a State-based stigma against Western Music even in the 80s. If someone was caught listening to Western Music by the Stasi, it could have had subtle consequences, such as not getting a raise at work. I wonder how this would've continued.

What are your ideas? How would you imagine a continued GDR?

Last edited:
As for tech, the East Germans led the Warsaw Pact in many areas. Optical (Karl Zeiss Jena - the original HQ), computer chips, etc.
I remember when say 64K RAM chips were the thing and the Japanese were introducing 256K, the East Germans were making 16K ones - and the rest of the East Blok was making 4K, if they were lucky.

I could see a similar progression iTTL. East Germans making Apple II/Commodore 64 type machines for the entire EastBlok, while the West is making 16bit IBM clones, etc.

No clue what they did for operating systems, though.

marathag

Banned
Poland started directly importing Atari 8 bits in 1985, well in advance of other Pact Nations allowing imports, so the Atari was far more popular in many Eastern European countries for far longer than in the West.
East Germany won't be able to compete on Software, the real driver

So as OTL, they would be getting more greymarket Polish PCs

Here are several problems with that scenario
First the GDR was on edge of economic and financial collapse in 1989
Even if Honecker (senile, sick with Cancer) or Mielke (senile) prevent the revolution in style the Chinese dit on Tiananmen Square 1989
(i could imagine that Margot Honecker (wife of ) could take control of situation and order brutal crack down of protest in Leibzig by STASI troops)
but this would let massive escape of east germans from GDR, toward other east block nation and finally to GFR.
there will east german who want to stay, i estimate from 16 million inhabitants of GDR remain 10 to 8 million
and it's questionable if GDR can exist as Nation under this circumstances.

It is difficult to understate how profoundly fucked up the DDR was financially, economically and also socially. The rot everywhere was so deep that we are still paying the price almost thirty years later... I cannot see that sorry excuse for a country surviving for much longer. Under any circumstances.

It is difficult to understate how profoundly fucked up the DDR was financially, economically and also socially. The rot everywhere was so deep that we are still paying the price almost thirty years later... I cannot see that sorry excuse for a country surviving for much longer. Under any circumstances.

Some of Ideas the German Politburo execute:

Zwangsumtausch: (force exchange) foreigner visitor are forced to exchange there hard currency into valueless GRD "Mark" in rate 1:1

The STASI had special commando that on Order of Politburo raid, GDR Museums, Churces and private homes for stealing any valuably Artwork and sell it to black Market !

The Ransom Money, the GFR pay money to GDR to reunite families, They could leave GDR after Payment, but not with there belongings, they were confiscated before the expulsion.

They open the GDR for West European trash and industrial waste for Money, the west europeans drop everything of waste in depots or the hole in ground left from brown coal mining.

Some of hair-raising Ideas not execute:

On brown coal mining the Politburo had plan in 1970s to destroy the city of Leipzig, Halle, Bitterfeld, Epsenhain to make way for mining machine.

Search for Gold or Oil deposits in GDR for exploiting (that include also remains of Nazi depots from WW2)

640px-Jaegerschnitzel.jpg

At us in Russia such dish is served in dining rooms.

By the way - where did the myth that bureaucrats from the CPSU declared that there is no crime in the USSR? If there are detectives, then there is real crime, while "official".

You dont have a idea what BURNING HATRED I have for this dish! I am cook & forced to make this piss poor leathersausage, mealy sweet sauce & soggy noodles for my coworkers was probably the most painful experience I had in my career. The wall may be down since some decades, but the wall on the tongue still exists! Certainly alienated me from my colleagues, sometimes it just hard as a Berliner/Wessi to live between Ossis! ;)

Last edited:
You dont have no idea what BURNING HATRED I have for this dish! I am cook & forced to make this piss poor leathersausage, mealy sweet sauce & soggy noodles for my coworkers was probably the most painful experience I had in my career. The wall may be down since some decades, but the wall on the tongue still exists! Certainly alienated me from my colleagues, sometimes it just hard as a Berliner/Wessi to live between Ossis! ;)
People differ more in classes than in nations.XD
In general, the longer I look at this photo, the more I want to eat.

I have never tried East German Jägerschnitzel before, but that dish above looks like just what I need after downing a few beers and vodkas. *mouth watering*

There is something similar in Hungary called Párizsi kosárka meaning "Little Pariser Basket". It is prepared by frying a slice of very low-quality Hungarian salami called Párizsi "Pariser" until it curls up into a basket-like form. It is spiced with some nutmeg to give it a little extra taste. Sometimes an egg is poured into the "basket" and it cooks within.

In the 80s, my Mom had a coworker, who boasted that she and her husband eat Párizsi Kosárka for dinner almost every day, but save up enough money to visit the Adriatic Sea in Yugoslavia every summer.

Last edited:
I have never tried East German Jägerschnitzel before, but that dish above looks like just what I need after downing a few beers and vodkas. *mouth watering*

There is something similar in Hungary called Párizsi kosárka meaning "Little Pariser Basket". It is prepared by frying a slice of very low-quality Hungarian salami called Párizsi "Pariser" until it curls up into a basket-like form. It is spiced with some nutmeg to give it a little extra taste. Sometimes an egg is poured into the "basket" and it cooks within.

In the 80s, my Mom had a coworker, who boasted that she and her husband eat Párizsi Kosárka for dinner almost every day, but save up enough money to visit the Adriatic Sea in Yugoslavia every summer.
Slobber flows ..... So, what am I talking!? Ah yes - are your parents Ossi (I use this term for people born in the countries of the Soviet bloc, and sometimes for people born in post-Soviet states. So I'm from this point of view Ossi)?

Last edited:
Slobber flows ..... So, what am I talking!? Ah yes - are your parents Ossi (I use this term for people born in the countries of the Soviet bloc, and sometimes for people born in post-Soviet states. So I'm from this point of view Ossi)?

Both of my parents and myself are Hungarians who live in Hungary, so yes we are "Ossis" according to your definition.

Last edited: