Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

I have always liked how the dynamic of Hans' and Helene's have played out and now seeing how it is Hans being quiet gets through his children is more effective.
No surprised about Pankow being gentrified, it is an convenient location in Berlin and I have no doubt that Kat is playing a major role in it making sure that the current residents are not being pushed out and are receiving top price for their properties.
Gert is such an institution in the neighborhood that it is very hard to see that part of Pankow without him but I think that their are a lot of people who sees his tavern as the perfect place for an upscale establishment and are making offers to him without realizing that Kat is a silent partner in the tavern.

I have always liked how the dynamic of Hans' and Helene's have played out and now seeing how it is Hans being quiet gets through his children is more effective.
No surprised about Pankow being gentrified, it is an convenient location in Berlin and I have no doubt that Kat is playing a major role in it making sure that the current residents are not being pushed out and are receiving top price for their properties.
Gert is such an institution in the neighborhood that it is very hard to see that part of Pankow without him but I think that their are a lot of people who sees his tavern as the perfect place for an upscale establishment and are making offers to him without realizing that Kat is a silent partner in the tavern.

I can see some idiot, or group thereof, making an offer, getting offended by Gert's refusal and trying to hire or send in some thugs to... intimidate him.

In that case, the best case scenario is that the thugs laugh at the idiot(s) and tell them to bugger off. The brand-spanking new word for abject stupidity (Mithras) may even be applied to them.
2nd best scenario is thugs stupidly/ignorantly accept job & try to shake Gert down, get laughed at, asked if they know who owns the place and if they feel up to discussing the matter with the Tigress or her brothers, the panzergrenadiers?
3rd best is the police paying the idiot(s) a visit & introducing them to the latest in steel jewellery.
Worst case is the idiot(s) and/or thugs explaining to Jarl just what the hell they think they are doing in pissing in his pool & bringing down unwanted attention from the Authorities.

I can see some idiot, or group thereof, making an offer, getting offended by Gert's refusal and trying to hire or send in some thugs to... intimidate him.

In that case, the best case scenario is that the thugs laugh at the idiot(s) and tell them to bugger off. The brand-spanking new word for abject stupidity (Mithras) may even be applied to them.
2nd best scenario is thugs stupidly/ignorantly accept job & try to shake Gert down, get laughed at, asked if they know who owns the place and if they feel up to discussing the matter with the Tigress or her brothers, the panzergrenadiers?
3rd best is the police paying the idiot(s) a visit & introducing them to the latest in steel jewellery.
Worst case is the idiot(s) and/or thugs explaining to Jarl just what the hell they think they are doing in pissing in his pool & bringing down unwanted attention from the Authorities.

I can more see the group of thugs taking the money and then laughing at the morons.

Besides, this sort of pub in a working class area (even if it's a transitionary period one) will be known to everyone as one you leave alone. Even if Gert's children or grandchildren get it, no body will try to make a move on it for at least a decade or two after his death, it's just the way these things go.

Now if those who inherit it completely run it into the ground or can't run it at all, that's a different scenario.

By the way, does Fanta exist ITTL?
Fanta was started by the Coca-Cola Bottling Company IOTL as way to continue to do business after a their supply of syrup was cut off, ITTL it was started by the same company to get around the high import taxes on non essential items, Gerta had to endorse the soda when her television show got them as an advertisers.

Part 103, Chapter 1671
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Seventy-One

8th January 1965

In transit, near Flensburg

The train was pulling into the station and Nancy was getting fidgety, she a bit giddy about her reunion with Tilo. Nancy felt that it was stupid that she tended to feel that way every time she came back at the end of the week. It had only been a few days since they had seen each other.

Anna had her face pressed against the glass as she was watching the landscape race past. It had taken considerable effort, but Nancy had gotten Anna to not stand on the seat. She didn’t want to think about what would greet whoever cleaned the glass and found in covered in the greasy handprints that Anna was leaving. Gretchen was mercifully asleep on Nancy’s lap. She had been unhappy earlier as they had left Inga’s apartment and in the manner of small children everywhere, had not shy about expressing that displeasure.

Tilo’s sister Inga tended spoil the children rotten, it made her popular with them and left Nancy smarting at times. She had to be the one who told them that they could have no more sweets and that it was time for bed. It was a different story with Helga, Nancy’s mother-in-law. She ruled her household, including her grandchildren when they were present, with an iron fist. Helga stated plainly that history would not be repeating itself if she had any say about it. Nancy felt completely inadequate in the face of that.

Looking out the window, Nancy saw the houses that had been built in the last few years on the outskirts of Flensburg pass as the train slowed. It took a few minutes for the station to come into view and the train to come to a stop. Gretchen was jostled awake as Nancy stood up and carried her in the direction of the door. Keeping Anna close in a crowded car was a challenge like always. Stepping into the cold night was a shock after the warmth of train car.

Tilo was standing on the platform with Sabastian, his hands on their seven-year-old son’s shoulders. Tilo had a lot of experience in not allowing Sabastian to wander off, even for a second. It was noticeable that Tilo looked tired tonight. In the wake of the Sino-Korean War a committee of Officers from all the Service Branches had compiled a report about what had worked and what needed to be improved upon. One of the recommendations had been that the Marine Infantry be expanded to better suit the role that they had been playing in the Far East as well as in the Baltic. They could no longer be where the Heer dumped their worst castoffs. As the Commandant of the Mürwik Naval Academy, Tilo was playing a large role in the effort of shaping what the future of the Marine Infantry would look like.

Over the last couple years, Sabastian had been spending a lot of time with Nicholas, Ilse’s son, on the expansive estate of Graf von Richthofen, Nicholas’ grandfather. He had loved the time he had spent in the forests of Silesia and for the first time in his life Sabastian had found himself in a place where no one minded his behavior as much. The Graf’s attitude had been that boys needed to run wild to a certain extent, they just needed proper direction as to how and where they did it. It was probably just a passing fancy, but Sabastian had come away from the experience of the previous two hunting seasons wanting to be a hunter in the mold of the men who he had been around, the Graf and the Foresters who he worked with.

Nancy had looked into it and had learned that it was like any other skilled trade. There was an apprenticeship involved and that if Sabastian did that, he would probably be strongly encouraged to go to University. The University of Breslau had an Environmental Sciences/Forestry Program geared for exactly that. To Nancy’s surprise, it looked like the perfect thing for Sabastian. In the back of her mind she was aware that it was an alternative to where he was all to likely to end up.

Reier, Park Seo-Hyeon and a couple of Tilo’s current aides were waiting with them.

“Poppa!” Anna yelled and she ran across the platform to Tilo. The same reunion played out the same every week, but she didn’t seem to tire of it. Seo-Hyeon collected Gretchen from Nancy, freeing her to properly greet Tilo herself.

Jena

“Is there anything you want to do this weekend?” Ben asked, pointedly not looking up from the book he was no longer reading.

“I don’t know” Kiki said with her back to Ben as she hung the blue kimono on the back of her bedroom door and removing the towel that she had wrapped around her head so not to stain the silk. “Sleeping all weekend works for me.”

She had just showered, leaving Ben alone to read one of the books that that was required in the syllabus in the coming term. Dry material in the relatively new field of Radio Astronomy. Unfortunately, Kiki getting ready for bed was far more interesting. While he liked that she was willing to trust him to this extent, gawking at her would be childish.

“You’ll get bored by midmorning tomorrow” Ben said, “You always do, then we’ll have a late breakfast and be having the same conversation.”

“Perhaps” Kiki said as she pulled a blue and white striped football jersey over her head and put on a pair of grey track pants. She occasionally teased him about whether or not he would prefer some busty, blond bombshell over her, everything she wasn’t. The truth was that Ben had realized long before that Kiki’s appearance was secondary, she was smart and funny when she chose to be.

It was then Kiki went to the chair that was at her desk and started brushing out her hair so that she could braid it. If she didn’t do that it became a tangled mass while she slept. It was when she was braiding her hair that she noticed that Ben was watching her. It was the same as when they had been teenagers and she had been living in the attic room in Fürstin Katherine’s house. She paused for a second, before resuming with a slight smile.

Last edited:
The Nancy & Tilo update was great. It seems as if the Red Baron has a knack for redirecting the somewhat excessive energies of the Shultz clan. It also appears as if most of the adult members of that clan are bound and determined to break the cycle. Although God have mercy on any poachers or polluters who cross the path of future environmental officer/jaeger/ranger Sebastian Shultz. Would be great to catch up with the cousins; especially the adventures within the Dark Realms of the Postal Service. Although I don't think the German Postal Service has as many issues in regards to black dogs with orange eyebrows as the postal services of other countries seem to have.

And it finally looks as if Kiki is starting to admit to herself that she has it just as bad for Ben as he obviously has for her.

Still another excellent slice of life update.
Tilo's problem with the image of the Marine Infantry and his desire to make them more professional is that the Marine Infantry is a victim of its own success.
The Battle of the "Meatgrinder" has cemented in the reputation of the Marine Infantry as the "Worst of the Worst" and the saying " The Ground Underneath Our Boots is Always German Soil" has become the unofficial motto.
What Tilo can do is market the Marine Infantry as the Empire's first line of defense to attract the more adventurous recruits and have Professional Development courses to increase the quality of the officers and more importantly the NCOs in the Marine Infantry.
Another thing is to ramp up the quality of the Sea Lions and make having the Sea Lions patch as a leg up in getting future promotions, also by increasing the pool of qualified Sea Lions you can rotate them from the Sea Lions units to regular line units to recruit training units.

Sebastian has shown us what happens when a Schultz finds a focus in life, they stop being wild and start to excell, we have seen with the Brothers Lenz, Jost, and Tilo how they stopped being candidates for Jail once they were in the military and cousins Karl has found a home in the Marine Infantry and Erik is settled down (hopefully) with a secured job in the Postal Service.

Another thing is to ramp up the quality of the Sea Lions and make having the Sea Lions patch as a leg up in getting future promotions, also by increasing the pool of qualified Sea Lions you can rotate them from the Sea Lions units to regular line units to recruit training units.

This suggestion has OTL precedent with the Royal Marines.
If a Marine joins the SBS, unlike the SAS where you stay for as long as you can, effectively you can stay in for the remainder of your career if you like, Marines do a fixed term with the SBS then rotate back to the Commando companies where they end up passing on their skills and talent spotting the next group of potential SBS men. I believe they can return to the SBS after spending some time with the Commando companies, but it's a very effective way to lift the skills of the whole force while retaining your elite special forces in an economic manner.

Last edited:
Re the Above: Maybe Tilo should take a fact finding trip to Lympstone, Devon. And of Course, it would be appropriate if a certain Lt Jeremy Ashdown, (qualified Swimmer/Canoeist recently, OTL about to join the Special Boat Section), were to be selected to head back to Germany with him to go through the Sealions training in an exchange program...

Part 103, Chapter 1672
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Seventy-Two

14th January 1965

Jena

Kiki didn’t smoke. Personally, she felt that it was a disgusting habit to have and had never considered starting. Today though, as she sat anxiously it the group discussion, she had no idea what to do with her hands. The others in the group who smoked didn’t have that problem and Kiki envied them for that. The conversation drifted around until it came to the moment that she dreaded the most.

“Do you have anything to say tonight Kristina?” Doctor Holz asked, “We could talk about whatever you want, no one will judge you here.”

Kiki saw that all eyes were on her and wished that she could fall through the floor. For weeks she had listened to the others talk about harrowing experiences and the struggles that they had been having adjusting to life after that. Compared to any of that, her problems seemed incredibly trite.

Did they really want to hear just how inane her life really was?

“My dog has been hiding toys under the sofa in the parlor for months” Kiki said, “Vicky thought that it was funny, I ended up yelling at her and Rauchbier. Neither of them really listened and it is a tossup as to which of them is more aggravating.”

“Who is Vicky?” One of the others asked, “Rauchbier?”

“My little sister and my dog” Kiki replied, “Who I live with. I am also the servant of an elderly calico moggy with whom I share the house.”

There was chuckling around the group.

Then someone repeated a bit of what she had said, “With whom?”

“What is wrong with that?” Kiki asked.

“Nothing really” The man who had said that replied, “Just the way you talk, very polished and proper. How’d you end up in here with the rest of us mugs.”

“Because I was naïve enough to think I was proving something by rejecting privilege and volunteered to go to Korea a couple times.”

That raised a few eyebrows. Everyone else in this room had been of Mexico or Korea and that had been enough for them. Kiki had just admitted that she had gone by her own volition and then had gone back.

“I was a Field Medic and Surgical Assistant posted with the 3rd Marines when they went into the field against the Chinese when they first threatened war” Kiki said, “I went back with the 5th Attack Helicopter Wing leading an FSR team when the shooting started.”

As Kiki watched money was changing hands.

“What is going on?” Kiki asked.

“There was a bet going as to whether or not you were actually in a combat posting.”

“As opposed to what?” Kiki demanded.

“Well, everyone knows sort of what happens to women in order for them to end up in here” One of the men replied and the others started shuffling nervously in their chairs.

The assumptions that they must have been making about her. Kiki didn’t know what was more disturbing, the assumptions or the reasons behind them.

“Thank you, Kristina, but that is enough for today” Doctor Holz said, ending the conversation before it got more uncomfortable.

Tempelhof, Berlin

After all the times that people had looked for a way to hurt Kat, they had clearly lacked imagination. Of course, while the situation that she found herself was like a knife through her heart, it was the sort of thing that was completely unthinkable for most people to even consider unless they were talking in hushed tones in the hopes that this true monster would pass them by. Losing one of her own hurt Kat deeply.

Of the girls who had joined Kat’s makeshift family, Tilde Messerli had always been the healthiest and most mentally balanced despite having been orphaned during the Second World War. Once the mission of playing body double for Gia had ended, she had gone to University and gotten a Diplom in Early Childhood Development and had gone to work in the same State School for Girls that Kat had found her in years earlier. Then a few months earlier, she had been stricken by one of the few things that Kat could not protect her from, Ovarian cancer. She had concealed her illness from Kat and the others to spare them from having to watch her die.

Looking at Tilde’s body, Kat could see what the cancer and the attempts at therapy had done to it. It looked like she had been tortured.

“She should have told me or her sisters” Kat said, “No one should die alone like this.”

“She wasn’t alone” The Oncologist who had been her Doctor said, “There were others in the ward who she was friends with and because we needed to have her on morphine towards the end it was not exactly painful.”

Those were not comforting words for Kat. Someone she had cared about had died a lonely, agonizing death and now she was just a statistic, one of thousands who died like this every single year, forgotten. She would have to inform the rest of the girls about this and the result of that would not be pleasant. All of the other girls had potentially life ending conditions. Ilse had a weak heart, Kris’ bones were brittle as glass, Judita had epilepsy, Asia and Leni both struggled with mental difficulties. All of that was the result of traumatic childhoods or neglect.

It was a horrible intrusive thought, but Kat realized that this would not be the last time that she would stand here identifying a body so that it could be prepared for burial.

Last edited:
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Seventy-Two

14th January 1965

Jena

Kiki didn’t smoke. Personally, she felt that it was a disgusting habit to have and had never considered starting. Today though, as she sat anxiously it the group discussion, she had no idea what to do with her hands. The others in the group who smoked didn’t have that problem and Kiki envied them for that. The conversation drifted around until it came to the moment that she dreaded the most.

“Do you have anything to say tonight Kristina?” Doctor Holz asked, “We could talk about whatever you want, no one will judge you here.”

Kiki saw that all eyes were on her and wished that she could fall through the floor. For weeks she had listened to the others talk about harrowing experiences and the struggles that they had been having adjusting to life after that. Compared to any of that, her problems seemed incredibly trite.

Did they really want to hear just how inane her life really was?

“My dog has been hiding toys under the sofa in the parlor for months” Kiki said, “Vicky thought that it was funny, I ended up yelling at her and Rauchbier. Neither of them really listened and it is a tossup as to which of them is more aggravating.”

“Who is Vicky?” One of the others asked, “Rauchbier?”

“My little sister and my dog” Kiki replied, “Who I live with. I am also the servant of an elderly calico moggy with whom I share the house.”

There was chuckling around the group.

Then someone repeated a bit of what she had said, “With whom?”

“What is wrong with that?” Kiki asked.

“Nothing really” The man who had said that replied, “Just the way you talk, very polished and proper. How’d you end up in here with the rest of us mugs.”

“Because I was naïve enough to think I was proving something by rejecting privilege and volunteered to go to Korea a couple times.”

That raised a few eyebrows. Everyone else in this room had been of Mexico or Korea and that had been enough for them. Kiki had just admitted that she had gone by her own volition and then had gone back.

“I was a Field Medic and Surgical Assistant posted with the 3rd MID when they went into the field against the Chinese when they first threatened war” Kiki said, “I went back with the 5th Attack Helicopter Wing leading an FSR team when the shooting started.”

As Kiki watched money was changing hands.

“What is going on?” Kiki asked.

“There was a bet going as to whether or not you were actually in a combat posting.”

“As opposed to what?” Kiki demanded.

“Well, everyone knows sorts of that happen to women in order for them to end up in here” One of the men replied and the others started shuffling nervously in their chairs.

The assumptions that they must have been making about her. Kiki didn’t know what was more disturbing, the assumptions or the reasons behind them.

“Thank you, Kristina, but that is enough for today” Doctor Holz said, ending the conversation before it got more uncomfortable.

Tempelhof, Berlin

After all the times that people had looked for a way to hurt Kat, they had clearly lacked imagination. Of course, while the situation that she found herself was like a knife through her heart, it was the sort of thing that was completely unthinkable for most people to even consider unless they were talking in hushed tones in the hopes that this true monster would pass them by. Losing one of her own hurt Kat deeply.

Of the girls who had joined Kat’s makeshift family, Tilde Messerli had always been the healthiest and most mentally balanced despite having been orphaned during the Second World War. Once the mission of playing body double for Gia had ended, she had gone to University and gotten a Diplom in Early Childhood Development and had gone to work in the same State School for Girls that Kat had found her in years earlier. Then a few months earlier, she had been stricken by one of the few things that Kat could not protect her from, Ovarian cancer. She had concealed her illness from Kat and the others to spare them from having to watch her die.

Looking at Tilde’s body, Kat could see what the cancer and the attempts at therapy had done to it. It looked like she had been tortured.

“She should have told me or her sisters” Kat said, “No one should die alone like this.”

“She wasn’t alone” The Oncologist who had been her Doctor said, “There were others in the ward who she was friends with and because we needed to have her on morphine towards the end it was not exactly painful.”

Those were not comforting words for Kat. Someone she had cared about had died a lonely, agonizing death and now she was just a statistic, one of thousands who died like this every single year, forgotten. She would have to inform the rest of the girls about this and the result of that would not be pleasant. All of the other girls had potentially life ending conditions. Ilse had a weak heart, Kris’ bones were brittle as glass, Judita had epilepsy, Asia and Leni both struggled with mental difficulties. All of that was the result of traumatic childhoods or neglect.

It was a horri\\le intrusive thought, but Kat realized that this would not be the last time that she would stand here identifying a body so that it could be prepared for burial.
Tilde Messerli. Dammit.

If this was ten years ago ITTL, Kat would have broken down in to a deep depression and hopefully Kat will not keep her feelings so bottled up that she does go in to a depression.
Doug I know will keep her focused on the good things that Kat has done for Tilde and the other girls and how Kat gave them something they never had: A chance.

Kiki is beginning to understand that her experiences are just as valid as the others and not unique to her.

ferdi254

Banned
At least they gave her enough morphin which was by far not SOP IOTL until half a century later.
And a group session for somebody with the symptoms of Kiki is way too 60s IOTL standard.

Last edited:
So, next Kat's angels will create a charity that helps support palliative patients and their families? And fund cancer research.

I can see Kat providing an endowment for cancer research and forming a society that provides creature comforts, companionship & support for cancer sufferers. Even with a decent state-funded health system, money for that sort of support is hard to come by. I also think she will have a hard time resisting her instincts to pry into her girls lives again after this.

Edit: Ninja'd

Kiki still hasn't talked about her latest escapades & injuries with her support group, because they seem pretty clueless about her identity. Either that or they are laying bets on when she will finally tell them.

Last edited: