Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

The screaming match, er spirited discussion, between Kat and Jack probably included something like this:

"Kat, listen for a minute. Truth is an absolute defense against an accusation of libel so unless she lied about something you can't stop her publishing. She's got our first encounter in Australia except she didn't name me or Finley, she got you and Fleming and the tear gas grenade. Thank heavens she didn't include your quick trip to London nor your interrogation technique with Guy Burgess.*" Jack closed his eyes and shuddered at the memory of that sweet smile.

*Part 20, Chapter 220

Libel defense

The screaming match, er spirited discussion, between Kat and Jack probably included something like this:

"Kat, listen for a minute. Truth is an absolute defense against an accusation of libel so unless she lied about something you can't stop her publishing. She's got our first encounter in Australia except she didn't name me or Finley, she got you and Fleming and the tear gas grenade. Thank heavens she didn't include your quick trip to London nor your interrogation technique with Guy Burgess.*" Jack closed his eyes and shuddered at the memory of that sweet smile.

*Part 20, Chapter 220

Libel defense
And THAT without mentioning the LITERAL drawn and quartered sentence in Mr Philby, courtesy of the London Zoo's tiger.

Part 86, Chapter 1335
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Thirty-Five

9th July 1959

Moscow, Russia

“Seriously, if I had to stay in Silesia for another second, I was going to kill someone” Kat said, “So much provisional bullshit and turf wars that were going on. It seemed like they were more interested in defending their slice of the pie as opposed to getting to the bottom of what has been going on.”

Having Kat show up at her front door was a rare treat. Kat reminding her that her thirty-first birthday was a few days earlier was decidedly less welcome. Gia had been trying to ignore her birthday, pretend that it was just another day. The world had not been allowing her to forget it so easily. Everyone wanted to wish Grand Duchess Jehane Alexandra Thomas-Romanova, Princess Royal of Russia, a happy birthday whether she liked it or not.

It had been when Gia had asked Kat what she was up to that her entire demeanor had changed. The frustrations of the previous days had boiled over. Apparently, Kat had gone to Silesia in order to find a girl who had turned up dead before she even had a chance to start looking. Despite Kat’s battles with local authorities, she had made progress by getting the preliminary findings of the autopsy and starting a proper investigation. It was obvious that whatever the Pathologist’s findings were, they had really set Kat off and she wasn’t going to let this go.

It was fortunate that Kat had a few favors to call in while she was in Silesia. The Richthofen family name blew away most of the official resistance that Kat was subjected to. It tended to wilt away when confronted with the prospect of getting on the wrong side of the Graf. She also had her brother as a resource. According to Kat, Hans had referred several file clerks to her from his ranks of part-time soldiers, who were more than happy to help if it counted as time in service. Currently she had them going through records trying to find other killings in Silesia, Bohemia and South-Western Poland that matched the modus operandi of the killing of Martyna Dunajski. The fact that Kat had taken the time to remember the girl’s name showed just how personally she was taking this. That had been when it was discovered that there had been six others that seemed to match, going back at least five years. Just they had happened geographically and chronologically far enough apart that the local police couldn’t see the pattern.

That news had been what had prompted Kat to get on the first plane to Moscow.

“There is also that stupid book” Kat said.

“What book?” Gia asked.

Kat waved her hand dismissively. “This American I was nice to thought it would be fun to write to write about me” She said, “She got ahold of far more information than I would like.”

Gia struggled to keep what she was thinking from her face. Poor, shy, long suffering Kat and the things she tried so desperately to hide about herself. All the things that others saw in her that she couldn’t see in herself. The woman who had welcomed many girls into her family and had done her best to see that they had the best possible start in their life. She had risked her life repeatedly for larger causes and was generous to a fault. Yet when pushed, Kat admitted that she was convinced that death followed wherever she went, and she feared that her children might one day catch a glimpse of the darkness that she thought was at her core.

“Don’t you pay attention to what is going on in the cinema Kat?” Gia asked, “Movies about the Soviet War and the Pacific War are all the rage, there have already been movies that have featured characters who look a lot like you and your brother. How long until Babelsburg drops the pretense and just makes Kat Mischner, the movie.”

“They wouldn’t dare” Kat said, her words dripping with acid.

“You have to decide how you want your story told” Gia said, “I had to keep the world thinking that I had died with my parents so that the Stalin and Beria wouldn’t send half the NKVD after me. I didn’t get to tell my story on my terms and look how that turned out. You think I’m comfortable with being a prisoner of the role that I’m forced to play here in Russia? Holy Saint Sasha, the pure unspoiled, boring virgin Princess who suffered so terribly at the hands of the Bolsheviks or whatever bullshit spin my cousin is putting on it this week.”

That caused Kat to wilt a bit, only three people besides Gia herself knew that she wasn’t pure and wasn’t exactly a virgin. Kat, Douglas and Asia, who had secretly been Gia’s lover for a time more than a decade earlier. While Gia remained unsure about her sexuality. There had been plenty of men who she had fancied, but she remembered how simple things had been with Asia. She had dared not explore that part of herself further. The risk of scandal was too great if she had continued her relationship with Asia. If she took a man into her bed and got pregnant… The thought of any son of hers inheriting the dread illness that she had watched slowly kill her Uncle when she was a little girl was too much to bear.

“I sorry” Kat said, “I forgot about… I’ve been meaning to talk with Nancy on this subject, but it hasn’t happened yet.”

“I wouldn’t put that off” Gia replied.

Last edited:
In the meantime, I'm just going through the possibles, however I agree that it's likely that the Mayor, Police Chief and killer are all related.

I think if Kat and Gloria spend more time together they'll actually get on fine. It would also be worth it so that Kat can get a few revisions added, like her actual interactions with Ian Fleming, or the full story of what happened in Australia and what happened to the OSS agent afterwards. Maybe a bit on Kat cleaning up the Army a little too.

Kat would become a very strong feminist icon in the US.

Last edited:
I wonder if Jonny and Gloria when they were in Petaluma had any thing to do with one of the cruisers George Lucas, and will that Butterfly away one of the greatest movies of all the time Howard the Duck?

They did meet, Kat encouraged Gloria to come along with her when she collected Thorwald's rifle, it was what prompted her to write the book. That was also how Gloria met John Casey.

In an unrelated note, a major fantasy television series recently featured a character who when blocked attacked with their off hand. I can say that I came up with set of tactics as used by Kat Mischner more than two and half years ago. Someone owes me an explanation.

I was reminded of that in the last update, so edited my comment. :happyblush

I wonder if Jonny and Gloria when they were in Petaluma had any thing to do with one of the cruisers George Lucas, and will that Butterfly away one of the greatest movies of all the time Howard the Duck?

If you've seen American Graffiti, then you might know that not only is Petaluma Blvd. the street that they were cruising on during that film. The location where Jonny and Gloria were watching the illegal races is the same location where Bob, played by Harrison Ford, rolls his car at the end of the film.

Last edited:
In this timeline we have been seeing things in extreme close-up from the eyes of the characters and being relayed to us by unreliable narrators.
We have not seen how for the most part the so call wide-shot on the events.
Gloria's biography of Kat will give us a different perspective, as an example when Helene barricaded the Luftwaffe officer in hanger office at Templehof Field, we had a wide ranging discussion about whether or not Helene was being a brat or not but Gloria is going to use it to show how after the war against the Soviet Union was declared tens of thousands of German women tried to join the military and the Auxiliaries were formed to help win the war.
Also we have seen the growth of the friendship between Kat and Nancy at first through the care package that Kat received before her mission in the Ukraine and later with the letters.
Gloria is going to show how Kat inspired Nancy to be more then what was expected of her and how what happened to her is symbolic of how the United States treats women.
By the way Nancy I think is famous in her own right as Kat's friend as the story of the care package was used for propaganda purposes to show that the American people supported them and when Nancy had her problem with the State Department it was viewed by the German people as how stupid the American government was.

Not sure, even less about prussia, but i'm not convinced there should be even something like a "local" police.

Basically there should be something like the police of the kingdom of prussia.
Which is either direct from Berlin or from some other "headquarter" depending if Prussia got reformed at some point.

But in the end it's a pretty minor point, and internal borders issues still should work well enough.

In the meantime, I'm just going through the possibles, however I agree that it's likely that the Mayor, Police Chief and killer are all related.
I doubt this. It's more likely that the killer is a transient whose job brings him through the area and then he moves on. Someone involved in trucking, construction, or sales would be my guess.

Not sure, even less about prussia, but i'm not convinced there should be even something like a "local" police.
I'm assuming that the polizei are organized fairly closely to OTL polizei. Law enforcement is organized by state, which is the 'Landespolizei. The Landespolizei is then subdivided at municipality, towns and rural communities and are responsible for their locality. In this timeline, they might be organized at the Kingdom level instead of states but otherwise same structure. A polizei in a rural community may never leave his home area and not gain a lot of experience outside of giving out traffic tickets and breaking up bar fights. From what P-M states, this is a rural area so the 'locals' probably don't have lots of experience with serial murders. Most cops and politicians don't like it when a hideous crime occurs in their area and want to minimize the publicity.

Part 86, Chapter 1336
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Thirty-Six

20th July 1959

Tempelhof, Berlin

“Then he walks up to me and says that he already has a girlfriend, but his mother had said that he had to introduce himself” Kiki said, “Why did he even bother?”

Berg found Kiki’s personal life, or lack thereof, amusing and Kiki could see that play across her face even if she didn’t say it aloud. As much as Kiki disliked admitting to it, things had grown increasingly comical over the prior months. Living on the Humboldt Campus had plenty of drawbacks, among those were the young men who only saw the superficial aspects of her title and family for starters. Kiki had recently confided in Berg that she sometimes regretted asking Benjamin to stop seeing her. She had told Kiki that the relationship she’d had with Ben had progressed to a point that she might not have been ready for. The decision to end it had been Kiki doing what she had felt at the time was right for her, second guessing herself now was pointless.

“It was so that he could tell his mother that he did, and she would stop getting after him to meet a nice girl” Berg said mildly, “As opposed to whoever his actual girlfriend is.”

“A nice girl who comes from Royalty and presumably receives money from her family” Kiki said flatly. It was the whole “nice” part when accompanied by people’s assumptions that was getting on Kiki’s nerves. The absurd truth was that the money that Kiki received from the family trust went almost entirely towards living expenses and every last pfennig had to be accounted for. The only money she really had that she was able to spend freely was from the weekly pay she received as an Obersoldat in the Medical Service. Even that didn’t go very far because if Kiki did something fun like going out with her friends, she would be inevitably stuck with the bill sometime during the night because everyone assumed that she was rich. And because she was so nice, she always just ate the cost without complaining.

“I’m just glad that is the only area where you need to learn to tell people no” Berg replied, “Something will be working in the future. Fortunately, you will be spending the Summer Holiday with your friend Marcella, apparently she has no trouble in that regard at least.”

Kiki didn’t respond to that, going back to her meal was safer. Especially after she had made the mistake of telling Berg about what had happened a couple of weeks earlier.

Zella had recently gotten a bit of a slap in the face from people who she thought she was friends with. The Moondogs had put out a single that was a minor hit in their native UK and it had gotten some radio airplay in Germany. She walks in Sunlight sounded like the typical poppy song that record companies demanded, except when one actually listened to the lyrics beyond the chorus a different picture emerged. It was actually quite scathing, the girl the song was about skipped through life with her head in the clouds, well insulated from the harsher realities that ordinary people endured. It also implied that Zella was a tease. Yet one more example of the dozens of infuriating contradictions that had to be negotiated.

This time, Zella was hoping that her father wouldn’t find out. Because she was planning on dealing with the Moondogs in her own way the next time they came back through Berlin. Kiki knew full well that getting a talk from Markgraf von Holz might have seemed harsh, particularly when he showed the even a small amount of the power he possessed. However, Zella was far more vindictive, had more patience than her father and was every bit as good at making plans. One day the Moondogs would get a reminder about this, at the worst possible moment for them.

Potsdam

“You did well, starting the investigation and then referring it to us” Sven said to Kat as she sat down in the chair opposite his desk.

It didn’t feel that way to Kat, she felt like she had failed. Having examined every bit of available evidence, they had not been able to determine the identity of the killer. That evidence was also nightmarish in nature. The Pathologist in Breslau that determined that after killing through strangulation, the perpetrator had mutilated the corpse while having intercourse with it, postmortem. Kat could have lived her whole life without hearing that. If that wasn’t enough, the Pathologist suspected that the Killer was engaging in cannibalism as well. Beyond that, she had whole lot of nothing in the case of Martyna Dunajski. There were also apparently six other girls whose cases she had been unable to bring herself to examine too closely yet.

“Also, I wouldn’t be quite so harsh in my assessment of the police in rural Upper Silesia” Sven said, “The best and brightest don’t get assigned to places like that, so they are in over their heads. There is a reason why the Federal Police exist and this mess you discovered is exactly that.”

Crimes committed across jurisdictional lines. In this case, the States of Silesia and Bohemia as well as the Polish Protectorate, had to be investigated without getting caught up in provincial politics. Kat remembered that much. She was also aware that her own role was a bit murky. The Emperor had appointed her to the role she currently played, but because she was effectively outside the chain of command of the Federal Police even if they did see her as one of their own, it was very possible that her actions would be seen as suspect. That was why one of the first things she had done was bring in Sven Werth even if the investigation had not reached a conclusion.

“I’m aware of that” Kat replied, “They are just infuriating though.”

“Especially when someone like you comes to town” Sven said, “You tend to be about as subtle as a Panzer Regiment.”

“I just wanted to get this monster” Kat replied.

“We will” Sven said, “We now know he’s out there and justice will eventually be served.”

Kat had always liked Sven’s certainty in that regard, but she was also aware that it wasn’t always true.

Kat has done the first important step of finding the connections of different disappearances of young women across the eastern part of the Empire, this will help the Federal Police enormously.
Kiki so far has been lucky in finding friends like Zella and Aurora who have been honest with her and have told her when she has been wrong.
My fear for Kiki is that she would have been surrounded by people around her who are nothing but sycophants telling Kiki what she wanted to hear and flattering her in to doing things that lead to excessive behaviors like alcohol, drugs, and sex until the money runs out.
This is something that Nancy can fix by having Kiki do an interview with one of the more reliable and friendly tabloid papers that cover the Imperial Family with a story about how Kiki is basically a "Princess on a Budget" which would give a spin that Kiki is just like other others students while her father is picking up the check for her education, anything extra comes out of her own pocket and that is not a lot.
Which will lead to conversations all across the Empire with parents telling their children in university "If you want extra spending money then do what Princess Kristina is doing and join a service".

Well lets see who has Zella been able to take lessons from both formal and informal,
1 The Grafin herself
2. Her Father
3. Her mother
4. John whats his name
5. The Schmidts, I pretty much imagine family stories have been told in down time at the club V 8
6. Some of the regulars who are at the club, should have stories from their time in service and with other organization.

I don't know about you but this is gonna be so much fun.

Now, THIS playing out I look forward to. A lot.
Seeing as how she sunk Elmo Lewis/Brian Jones of TTL's Rolling Stones & now seems on track to scuttle TTL's Beatles, Zella has been more effective than OTL's General Rommel in stopping a 'British Invasion' on the beaches. Not to mention taking a piece out of TTL's Jim Morrison on the way through.

Seeing as how she sunk Elmo Lewis/Brian Jones of TTL's Rolling Stones & now seems on track to scuttle TTL's Beatles, Zella has been more effective than OTL's General Rommel in stopping a 'British Invasion' on the beaches. Not to mention taking a piece out of TTL's Jim Morrison on the way through.
Still waiting if Mr Morrison rather than sending him to Military School, decided to boot Jim's arse straight to the Marine Corps for an attitude check.

Part 86, Chapter 1336
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Thirty-Six

5th August 1959

Washington D.C.

Everyone knew that President Harriman was well read, however the latest issue of the New Yorker wasn’t what anyone quite had in mind. Considering the article in question, it was something that should have been anticipated considering the events of a few months earlier. Today, as the daily briefing concluded it was what the President wanted to talk about.

The New Yorker had conducted an in-depth interview with Kaiser Louis Ferdinand as part of the public relations push that the royal family of the German Empire had engaged in over the previous months. If only he came across like his grandfather had, the belligerence that Wilhelm the 2nd was known for had successfully united the American people in a way that had not happened since then. Instead, the current Kaiser dressed like a businessman and came across as perfectly reasonable. Inside the Oval Office itself he had discussed arms control, space exploration and trade policy with President Harriman

It seemed absurd that as the President of the United States, Harriman might hope for some outside force to help unite the country and push aside the inertia that Harry Truman had warned him about, but there he was. The country seemed to be standing still while pulling in a thousand different directions. Perhaps if the Soviets had won the public would have a common enemy, then things might be different. The German Empire though was a strange dichotomy. Countryside that was little changed from how it had been over the previous centuries, the sort of thing that was featured on tourism brochures, and the cities that most Americans who made their way there found totally alien. Many things that that were relegated to the shadows in America, seldom talked about unless in the form of condemnation, were very obviously so present as to not be worth mentioning having lost all novelty. That might have the holy rollers nickers in a twist, but it was hardly something that the country would unite around.

Then there was the interview in the New Yorker.

“He stated that while he is paying for his daughter’s living expenses while she is in college, any extras beyond that come from her pay as the equivalent of a Private First-Class” Avril said, “He also mentions how the girl is generous to a fault.”

Everyone around the table remembered the girl who had come to the White House in the company of her father. She had come across as shy and soft-spoken, coming across as somewhat younger than how old she said she was said to be. The background information provided said that she had opted to go on to college early. Small wonder that her father suspected that she might be at risk of being taken advantage of by older students in her class.

“Well Sir, they do have a different way of looking at things” The Press Secretary said, “I couldn’t imagine one of my daughters being encouraged to basically join the National Guard. Which I believe this is equivalent to.”

“That isn’t the point” Harriman said, “The symbolism of making a teenaged girl live on a tight budget, even if she wasn’t who she was that would be a heavy lift. How do you think things like this play with the public?”

“I can understand that Sir, but we are a very different country.”

“I never said we weren’t” Harriman replied, “But this one thing is emblematic of the problems we face. How do we get this country to lead the world again? Especially when others seem to be doing it by example.”

Ramatuelle, France

Kiki was absolutely exhausted as she made her way from the car to the front door of the house. It was in the middle of the night, the air still felt warm and Kiki could smell the salt of the sea close by. Even though she must be just as tired, Zella was looking around the entry. Peering into the darkened rooms, trying to see what the house was like. In the sitting room, Zella could see the distant lights of what looked like a small town or village in the distance.

She had gotten through the final examinations to finish the term and then had to pack everything in her dorm room before getting put on a train to France. All of that in just a few days. Zella and Aurora had come along, but they had not had nearly as many things to do before they left. For the two of them, this trip held a far different meaning than it did for Kiki. They would be joining her at University in the fall, which was why this holiday sort of marked the end of their childhood. This was especially true for Aurora who was easily the most sheltered of the three of them.

With some annoyance, Kiki saw that Lea Bäcker was supervising the unloading of their luggage. She had been put in charge of Kiki’s protection detail while they were in France, she was the logical choice. That didn’t mean that Kiki was thrilled about needing bodyguards.

“Wait until tomorrow morning” Lea said, “You will just be blown away by how beautiful the villa is Kiki.”

Kiki would need to take her word for it. Right now, sleep and doing as little as possible for the next few weeks was all she cared about.

Last edited: