Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

mkemp said:
Not bloody likely that Kiki would go topless.

That goes without saying but that doesn’t mean that the paparazzi will give up on the possibility of that happening.

My dear @epjsan: This is TTL in 1959 you're talking about. The decadence of the French:) hasn't reached OTL's current day yet. Are you suggesting that batches of papa-rat's-eyes[0] could follow Kiki around chanting "Show us your tits" without some enthusiastic intervention by the police and her security people?

[0] Found in The Ricky Jackson Saga

Last edited:
My dear @epjsan: This is TTL in 1959 you're talking about. The decadence of the French:) hasn't reached OTL's current day yet. Are you suggesting that batches of papa-rat's-eyes[0] could follow Kiki around chanting "Show us your tits" without some enthusiastic intervention by the police and her security people.

[0] Found in The Ricky Jackson Saga
Well kinda, I am really just spoiling for Zella, Kiki and company to go to town on some Euro-Trash because sometimes you just want bad things to happen to bad people.:angel:

Also isn’t Kiki underage?
Just checked up and in Germany the general age of consent seems to be 14 but if the person is under 16 then the other party can still be prosecuted if a complaint is made.

At this stage, (1959 ITTL), I don't think photographic or other visual material has been considered, otherwise the portraits Kiki drew could have caused far more problems.

This is one of those cases where it's not likely to become an issue ITTL unless the author wants to make it an issue to be examined. It's something that will require very careful handling if so.

Part 86, Chapter 1337
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Thirty-Seven

9th August 1959

Ramatuelle, France

The Villa was every bit as beautiful as Lea said it would be. The main house was set into a wooded hillside and had sweeping views of the Mediterranean Sea. The property sloped down to a rocky shoreline that had a small beach set into a cove. It was immediately clear why it had been selected by Kiki’s father. Everything about it put them as far from prying eyes as possible while still giving them the experience of being there. Zella thought it was great, no crowds and they had it all to themselves. Next week they could do some real exploring, there were lots of towns and villages in the region that would be fun to go see. This was perfect in the meantime.

The first few days however, had not been easy for Kiki. The day after Kiki had arrived, she had hardly made it out of bed, eventually coming to dinner wearing one of the old footballer’s jerseys she slept in. You’re on holiday, is what Aurora said when the subject had come up. Zella found it amusing that after all this time she still slept in jerseys that her brother had been forced to give away when he was told that he couldn’t be seen as rooting for any particular sports team. The truth was the original three had worn out years earlier and she had quietly replaced them. It still seemed like a fun way to quietly subvert the rules that had bedeviled Freddy.

The next day things had changed in a hurry when both Aurora and Zella had been horrified by the clothes that she had packed. She wasn’t in Berlin and she didn’t have classes to attend. So why did it look like that was what she was planning on doing? From Zella’s perspective, there was hardly anything that Kiki had brought that was appropriate for a holiday or the climate that they had found themselves in. What had followed was Zella questioning Lea about exactly what money was available for this vacation. Kiki would never have had the nerve to have asked those questions and had been horrified by what Zella was doing. Begrudgingly, Lea admitted that money had been made available for incidental expenses, but it was not to be abused on anything frivolous. That had led to a new round of questioning by Zella and eventually led to Lea on the phone with someone higher up the ladder. Eventually Lea had said that funds had been authorized and that Zella didn’t need to be so argumentative. Zella had been joyful that it had worked. “If you asserted yourself more often, these battles wouldn’t need to be fought later” Zella had said, “You should have been talking with your father weeks ago about this.”

The day after had been spent in Nice, just buying clothes. Bright colors and thin gauzy fabric of the sort that Kiki never wore but Zella insisted that she at least try on. Early on it was clear to Kiki that her friends were delighting in helping her with this and she ended up buying more than she imagined that she would. It had been after they had returned to the house late that afternoon when had come word that Kiki’s Uncle Vladimir was in nearby Saint-Tropez. That had put a sour note on the day. While Kiki’s aunt and mother had both died of the same congenital heart condition, Vlad seemed to be in very good health despite his lifestyle. For Kiki it was proof that there was no justice in the world. There had also been a pair of photographers spotted near the front gate of the villa and they had been told to be mindful of their presence if they left the villa.

Now, on Saturday afternoon Kiki was sitting on a towel near the tideline in the shade of one of the beach umbrellas that they had brought down from the house. They had been swimming a few minutes earlier, so Kiki was applying another layer of the zinc oxide crème. Zella found that amusing as she was sketching the rocks that stood over one end of the cove. Zella was telling her and Aurora about according to her mother the Moondogs had called expecting Zella to cover their show in a few hours. Zella obviously wasn’t going to make it. Instead, their show was going to be covered by a different reporter from the BT. One who normally covered Classical Music. While Kiki said that she didn’t hate the band, she certainly wanted them to have a bad night because John Lennon was a bit of an asshole and had written that song about her that she didn’t like.

“I ought to get one of you trying to get that lotion on your back” Zella said as Kiki got Aurora to help her. “I think you missed your calling as a contortionist.”

“The last thing we need is another round of your drawings” Aurora said, “Especially after all the trouble that the last one caused.”

For a long time, there had been a bit of a sore point Kiki and Aurora had with Zella. When they got together Zella always took the lead and it seemed like she could always talk the other two into doing anything. The sketches from a couple years earlier along with any number of questionable things that they had done in the past fell into that category.

Today, that included the red two-piece swimsuit that Zella had said looked good on Kiki a couple days earlier when she insisted that Kiki buy it. This afternoon she realized that she was wearing only slightly more than she had in that original sketch that had been done in her bedroom with the blinds closed. This was out in the open, an aspect of this that Zella seemed to revel in as she was wearing the same sort of swimsuit and it made Kiki reach for the zinc oxide crème. It wasn’t because Kiki was self-conscious, she had gotten over that a year earlier in the training depot when she had endured weeks of having no privacy at all. Rather there were parts of her that had very seldom seen direct sunlight until now and she didn’t want to get a sunburn.

For Aurora it was different, she had been a late bloomer and still had a bit of pudge from childhood that had yet to go away completely. Aurora also had a scar on her belly from an appendectomy a few years earlier that meant that there was no way that she would wear anything that bared her midriff.

“I think that both of you have nice features” Zella said with a smile that showed that she was completely unapologetic about featuring her friends in her art. “You just need to be willing to show them off, without shame. Get this Aurora, you’re as beautiful as I am, or Kiki.”

Aurora looked embarrassed at that, though she probably shouldn’t be.

Kiki realized that it was like being willing to assert herself again, Kiki just wished that she had half of Zella’s confidence.

Last edited:
Rather there were parts of her that had very seldom seen direct sunlight until now and she didn’t want to get a sunburn.

And being a somewhat Northern European, probably burns in the time it takes to lay down. My family is nearly pure Irish, so some of my siblings go up faster than vampires in direct sunlight (I'm the lucky one; I picked up the genetics from my Indian great-grandfather; I can actually tan)

And being a somewhat Northern European, probably burns in the time it takes to lay down. My family is nearly pure Irish, so some of my siblings go up faster than vampires in direct sunlight (I'm the lucky one; I picked up the genetics from my Indian great-grandfather; I can actually tan)

Yes, I also inherited my extreme lack of Melatonin from my Irish ancestors. My family used to tease me about having "ASA-400" skin. Take a flash picture of me and I am sunburned.

So, Kiki and clothing = Kat
Zella seems to be more like Gerta
Aurora is Helene

Not quite, there are similarities but substantial differences as well. Kat's personality is ISFJ, whereas Kiki's is INFP. However, the biggest difference between them is that Kiki will take "No" for an answer.
Zella's is ENFP and she is a lot more focused than Gerta ever is. She is closer to Helene in that they both have a similar background.
Aurora's is INTP and there was a reason why Kat made a point of spending time with her when she was younger. Overshadowed by her parents and friends, suffering from low self-esteem, Aurora has yet to come into her own.

It's a welcome recurring motif, although hopefully the next generation won't be tempered in war like the last generation.

This, a thousand times this. IMHO the effect is opposite that found in metallurgy - tempering in individuals and societies increases hardness and decreases flexibility. Again IMHO this increases the spread and severity of PTSD in both individuals and societies alike - remember the description of everyone with expressions of worry and strain during WW II?

FWIW Gloria Steinem in 1959 is working as the director of the International Research Service which was a CIA front organization.