Sports What Ifs.

Suppose the Crisconi group succeeds in buying the A's and keeping them in Philadelphia.

What happens to the A's and Phillies in the City of Brotherly Love afterwards?

Suppose the Crisconi group succeeds in buying the A's and keeping them in Philadelphia.

What happens to the A's and Phillies in the City of Brotherly Love afterwards?
Phillies move and get renamed. They were the first professional sports team to break 10,000 losses, and with the A's around, they wouldn't be missed much.

Or, WI the New Orleans Saints draft alt-Lebron in the 2006 draft (assuming he declares for the draft in 2006 and not after his senior season) instead of Reggie Bush?

Drew Brees with a Lebron James as one of his WR/TEs would be a nightmare for everyone else...

Holy crap I have a nightmare scenario: Him on the Cowboys, with Witten, on a 2WR/2TE/1RB formation. Romo with multiple weapons able to bail him out underneath means bad things for the rest of the league in the 8-10 seasons they'd have together.

Hell, maybe they win a few Super Bowls; them vs. the unbeaten Patriots would be a hell of a matchup in Super Bowl XLII...

Or, WI the New Orleans Saints draft alt-Lebron in the 2006 draft (assuming he declares for the draft in 2006 and not after his senior season) instead of Reggie Bush?

Drew Brees with a Lebron James as one of his WR/TEs would be a nightmare for everyone else...
Someone like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, or Peyton would be scary but wouldn't change all that much because they already were already HOF caliber QBs.

Romo, though? He had to put the team on his back over and over with a shit defense many years. Give him a tool that can keep the offense on the field, gaining short to intermediate yardage, who needs double covered in the end zone, on the field at the same time as Witten? That's flipping the NFC table over, picking it up, and smashing the AFC teams in the back of the head come February.

I agree with you, @FickleCrossroad, but the reason I try to go away from the Dallas Cowboys is because, well, I had a co-worker who was obsessed with America's Team, and would not hear a bad thing about them...

But a Romo-Witten-Lebron James combo ITTL? Yeah, you're looking at the new Triplets, much to the delight of Jerry Jones...

I agree with you, @FickleCrossroad, but the reason I try to go away from the Dallas Cowboys is because, well, I had a co-worker who was obsessed with America's Team, and would not hear a bad thing about them...

But a Romo-Witten-Lebron James combo ITTL? Yeah, you're looking at the new Triplets, much to the delight of Jerry Jones...
I'm an Eagles fan. That's why I called it the nightmare scenario.

LeBron is just a touch too young to miss the early 00's Eagles runs, but I would've loved him catching passes from McNabb. Back in his time as an Eagle, McNabb was obsessed with minimizing picks by putting the ball out of reach of the defenders. Either too low or too high when he wasn't sure if he could force it in there. With someome like James as a weapon, I would've been giggling like an idiot, because too high for a DB or LB would be catchable by LeBron.

Someone like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, or Peyton would be scary but wouldn't change all that much because they already were already HOF caliber QBs.

Romo, though? He had to put the team on his back over and over with a shit defense many years. Give him a tool that can keep the offense on the field, gaining short to intermediate yardage, who needs double covered in the end zone, on the field at the same time as Witten? That's flipping the NFC table over, picking it up, and smashing the AFC teams in the back of the head come February.

I dunno, Brees/Shockey/James, and Brees/Graham/James sounds pretty nightmarish. Or Newton/Olsen/James in the early 2010's.

I dunno, Brees/Shockey/James, and Brees/Graham/James sounds pretty nightmarish. Or Newton/Olsen/James in the early 2010's.
I'm not disputing your point at all, I'm just biased by hindsight, because those teams were already close to dynasties in a blatantly obvious way. Having to face Romo twice a year as an Eagles fan made me see the Cowboys as a more massive change. Keep that defense off the field long enough their weaknesses are less obvious, (which someone like James would do), and all of the sudden you have an offense that OTL visitors to TTL would be far more shocked by. If the Cowboys of that era can control the clock more, (and have a good enough RB to make play action a threat), you have a team that can march down the field slowly, eat clock, and keep that shaky D fresh enough to keep the burden off of Romo.

As I said, your point is plenty valid, but I am simply arguing LeBron to the Cowboys is the bigger POD.

Also its worth noting about all this talk about James in the NFL, football is a much rougher sport. This is a good chance he tears his ACL at some point in time. Further he would have to wait three years before cashing in on his skills. This was when the NBA allow kids to get drafted right out of HS. So I find it hard to find a way James doesn't go into the NBA and gives up Football

I'm not disputing your point at all, I'm just biased by hindsight, because those teams were already close to dynasties in a blatantly obvious way. Having to face Romo twice a year as an Eagles fan made me see the Cowboys as a more massive change. Keep that defense off the field long enough their weaknesses are less obvious, (which someone like James would do), and all of the sudden you have an offense that OTL visitors to TTL would be far more shocked by. If the Cowboys of that era can control the clock more, (and have a good enough RB to make play action a threat), you have a team that can march down the field slowly, eat clock, and keep that shaky D fresh enough to keep the burden off of Romo.

As I said, your point is plenty valid, but I am simply arguing LeBron to the Cowboys is the bigger POD.

No argument there, I'm just playing off the idea that seeing him twice a year is more nightmarish for me.

Also its worth noting about all this talk about James in the NFL, football is a much rougher sport. This is a good chance he tears his ACL at some point in time. Further he would have to wait three years before cashing in on his skills. This was when the NBA allow kids to get drafted right out of HS. So I find it hard to find a way James doesn't go into the NBA and gives up Football

I was thinking about this on my way to the store. It's a fun POD, because of what a Lebron that's totally focused on football can bring to the table, but it's not a realistic POD without massively changing how either NBA or NFL salaries work. We're talking about a guy that will have made near $400,000,000 just off NBA contracts. Makes Tom Brady look like a piker.

If we're talking about the hypothetical Lebron wideout, let's not forget the college implications. If he gets recruited to his hometown team of Ohio State, that offense with Troy Smith throwing to Lebron, Santonio Holmes, Ted Ginn, and Anthony Gonzalez would be fucking electric. They lost to Texas by a field goal in 2005, it's definitely not unreasonable for Lebron to tip them over the edge and beat them in the regular season and then go on to play USC in the Natty. If he stays for the 2006 season, then they'd probably still get to the NGC against Tebow and Florida. Idk if they win though, since Florida stomped them that year.

No argument there, I'm just playing off the idea that seeing him twice a year is more nightmarish for me.
Absolutely fair point. Him and Ryan would be interesting too.

Him and Rodgers, well that would, given the past couple years, be a balm to the whole of Wisconsin for decades to come.

Absolutely fair point. Him and Ryan would be interesting too.

Him and Rodgers, well that would, given the past couple years, be a balm to the whole of Wisconsin for decades to come.

The negative of that might be that Petrino stays in Atlanta in 2007. :eek:

Heck, the '07 Falcons with Harrington/White/Crumpler/James probably isn't bad enough to draft Ryan in the first place.

OTOH, as I pointed out, Lebron probably goes with basketball (look at the huge pile of money he's making IOTL just off of contracts) and becomes the reason many people turn back to the NBA in the 1998-1999 season canceled-TL; if he goes to, say, the Lakers (with Kobe, among others), that'll be guaranteed...

Think about it: Lebron and Kobe on the same team (as part of the biggest NBA franchise) ITTL; it writes itself...

The Kobe-Lebron team would only last a few years, but what a hell of a few years they'd be...

Last edited:
Loved how we passed from Ward to Lebron playing football...

so @AltSptHst what would be the flash forward this season? will the jets be better or worse? ditto vikes and broncos?

Phillies move and get renamed. They were the first professional sports team to break 10,000 losses, and with the A's around, they wouldn't be missed much.

Philly is the largest city with only one team. Phillies might have survived - although they're more likely to end up as a relocation partner for the Dodgers and/or Giants.

Biggest impact is Arnold Johnson doesn't use the franchise as a shill for the Yankees. The Indians likely win at least one pennant on the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Loved how we passed from Ward to Lebron playing football...

so @AltSptHst what would be the flash forward this season? will the jets be better or worse? ditto vikes and broncos?

It's hard to say with the Jets and Cousins. Maybe they would be a little better. I think that Denver and Minnesota would be better with Darnold and Keenum (using the same formula that they did last year).

It's hard to say with the Jets and Cousins. Maybe they would be a little better. I think that Denver and Minnesota would be better with Darnold and Keenum (using the same formula that they did last year).
Let's go by teams, i think they will beat the lions as handy as OTL. Dolphins and Browns are 50/50..i could say beat dolphins loss, to browns, but either is winnable or loseable too. Jacksonville have not implode itself...Broncos will be a more brutal defeat, specially if Darnold(or Siemans) are at the controls. i could imagine Jets taking phins place and trailling behind NE.

Vikes...Might beat bears and even pats...but both GB loss were all Cousins work...still might be a toss up

Bronco will struggle but for benefit.

What if Russell Wilson wasn't drafted by the Seahawks?

What if Kasey Kahne hadn't left Robert Yates Racing after running part time with them in the 2002 NASCAR Busch Series?