Sports What Ifs.

Philly is the largest city with only one team. Phillies might have survived - although they're more likely to end up as a relocation partner for the Dodgers and/or Giants.

Biggest impact is Arnold Johnson doesn't use the franchise as a shill for the Yankees. The Indians likely win at least one pennant on the late 1950s or early 1960s.

If the Indians win a pennant in the late-50's, does Rocky Colavito stay?

Philly is the largest city with only one team. Phillies might have survived - although they're more likely to end up as a relocation partner for the Dodgers and/or Giants.

Biggest impact is Arnold Johnson doesn't use the franchise as a shill for the Yankees. The Indians likely win at least one pennant on the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Interesting. 1958 being the year the Dodgers, Giants and Phillies ALL move west and we get...the LA Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, and...San Diego Phillies (who probably become the Padres)? Also the A’s stay in Philly, so expansion looks weird after that.

I wonder if the Bay Area stays a one-team “City” since the A’s stay in Philly - does anyone go to Oakland? Does MLB expand there anyway? They almost would have to if they wanted to put AL teams in California, and Gene Autry starting the Angels makes it almost a necessity. Perhaps the 1969 expansion puts AL teams in Oakland and Kansas City and NL teams in Montreal and...Seattle? And if that Seattle team becomes the Brewers, they are an NL team from the start.

As a Bears fan the Bears drafting Cedric Benson (when they already had Thomas Jones on the roster no less) because Ron Turner wanted a "power back" instead of Aaron Rodgers always pisses me off.

Then again, there's a non-zero chance if Rodgers was a Bear Lovie Smith's inability to develop a quarterback means that he'd be out of the league by now anyway.

You have Rex Grossman, QB was not a need at the time, stop using hindsight lens, that don't Work that way

Regardless, A-rod would have been a star regardless, you can't coach talent( see matt leinart) but Rodgers might have some real growing pains..Ditto Packers post favre

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/da-bears-a-chicago-bears-tl.452048/ here a good TL of the Bears with Rodgers

Grossman was coming off a blown ACL in 2004, there's no reason not to draft another QB, especially one as highly ranked in the draft as Rodgers was in 2005. A forward thinking GM would have drafted Rodgers and had a full-blown QB competition, but Angelo wasn't that man.

Thanks for the timeline, I'll add it to the rapidly growing pile of timelines to read

I always though that injury was 2005, well that was a blow them, still at least Grossman take you to a SB...unlike leinart

Grossman blew his knee out early in 2004 (like week 3 or 4) on the turf in the old Metrodome trying to scramble for a touchdown. Then he broke his leg in the 2005 pre-season in STL on a hit (it was a clean hit, just a bad break - pun intended - for the Bears) but came back in like December of that year.

As a Bears fan the Bears drafting Cedric Benson (when they already had Thomas Jones on the roster no less) because Ron Turner wanted a "power back" instead of Aaron Rodgers always pisses me off.

Then again, there's a non-zero chance if Rodgers was a Bear Lovie Smith's inability to develop a quarterback means that he'd be out of the league by now anyway.

As a Dolphins fan, Rodgers is a bit of a missed opportunity for my team as well. Brees is the more obvious one (again, fuck you Nick Satan...err, Saban.) But neither the Bears nor Dolphins we’re anywhere near the right draft area for Rodgers - the Packers got him at 24; the Dolphins picked Ronnie Brown at 2 (who was great when he was healthy) while the Bears went with Benson at 4. So if they wanted Rodgers or to be in position to draft him, they would need to trade down.

As a Dolphins fan, Rodgers is a bit of a missed opportunity for my team as well. Brees is the more obvious one (again, fuck you Nick Satan...err, Saban.) But neither the Bears nor Dolphins we’re anywhere near the right draft area for Rodgers - the Packers got him at 24; the Dolphins picked Ronnie Brown at 2 (who was great when he was healthy) while the Bears went with Benson at 4. So if they wanted Rodgers or to be in position to draft him, they would need to trade down.
Honestly if the Bucs had been farer back in the draft they might of drafted Rodgers. Instead he got Cadillac Williams who like Brown was great when healthy which didn't happen much. Say if the Bucs had been in the low teens I could see the Bucs pulling the trigger for Rodgers there.

Interesting. 1958 being the year the Dodgers, Giants and Phillies ALL move west and we get...the LA Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, and...San Diego Phillies (who probably become the Padres)? Also the A’s stay in Philly, so expansion looks weird after that.

I wonder if the Bay Area stays a one-team “City” since the A’s stay in Philly - does anyone go to Oakland? Does MLB expand there anyway? They almost would have to if they wanted to put AL teams in California, and Gene Autry starting the Angels makes it almost a necessity. Perhaps the 1969 expansion puts AL teams in Oakland and Kansas City and NL teams in Montreal and...Seattle? And if that Seattle team becomes the Brewers, they are an NL team from the start.

The White Sox are the westernmost team in the AL. They'll want to fix that if the NL has three California teams. I could see Senators to Kansas City in 1959. They'll want LA to be a two team market. Other expansion could be Washington to appease Congress, or Minnesota. Unless the Phillies go to San Fran which sends the Giants to Minnesota. The AL might expand to San Diego.

The White Sox are the westernmost team in the AL. They'll want to fix that if the NL has three California teams. I could see Senators to Kansas City in 1959. They'll want LA to be a two team market. Other expansion could be Washington to appease Congress, or Minnesota. Unless the Phillies go to San Fran which sends the Giants to Minnesota. The AL might expand to San Diego.

Well if the Dodgers go to LA and Giants to SF, if the Phillies move to the West Coast (assuming the A’s shove them out) then...hmm. The Senators to KC instead of Minnesota has merit, and I see no reason the name “Royals” wouldn’t stick.

This means someone has to go to the West Coast in the AL. And assuming that the AL has the same mindset O’Malley has, it means they put two teams out there and Congress can just go to hell and wait for the next expansion (which may mean the team actually sticks around instead of packing up for Arlington, Texas.)

So the AL, with no teams west of Chicago (let’s see here...Boston, NY, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago) moves the Senators to KC and expands to LA (Angels) and Oakland (I dunno...Seals?) Meanwhile the NL goes to NY and Minnesota, sensing trouble in Houston (the original Astros stadium, when they were the Colt .45s, was a nightmare.) At that point, the Braves are in Milwaukee, so the “West” is LA, SD, SF, Milwaukee, and Minnesota along with Chicago and STL to make up the East with Cincy, Pittsburgh and NY.

So with the Braves moving to Atlanta, the next expansion is...hmm. Next cities up are DC, Houston, Seattle and Montreal. You almost have to put Houston and Seattle in the AL - they along with the two West Coast teams, KC and Chicago make up the West. The Cubs and Cardinals still probably bitch and moan about being in the West, but once the Pilots move to Milwaukee, it should work.

Well if the Dodgers go to LA and Giants to SF, if the Phillies move to the West Coast (assuming the A’s shove them out) then...hmm. The Senators to KC instead of Minnesota has merit, and I see no reason the name “Royals” wouldn’t stick.

This means someone has to go to the West Coast in the AL. And assuming that the AL has the same mindset O’Malley has, it means they put two teams out there and Congress can just go to hell and wait for the next expansion (which may mean the team actually sticks around instead of packing up for Arlington, Texas.)

So the AL, with no teams west of Chicago (let’s see here...Boston, NY, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago) moves the Senators to KC and expands to LA (Angels) and Oakland (I dunno...Seals?) Meanwhile the NL goes to NY and Minnesota, sensing trouble in Houston (the original Astros stadium, when they were the Colt .45s, was a nightmare.) At that point, the Braves are in Milwaukee, so the “West” is LA, SD, SF, Milwaukee, and Minnesota along with Chicago and STL to make up the East with Cincy, Pittsburgh and NY.

So with the Braves moving to Atlanta, the next expansion is...hmm. Next cities up are DC, Houston, Seattle and Montreal. You almost have to put Houston and Seattle in the AL - they along with the two West Coast teams, KC and Chicago make up the West. The Cubs and Cardinals still probably bitch and moan about being in the West, but once the Pilots move to Milwaukee, it should work.

AL doesn't need two California teams. In OTL, they had the Angels out there by themselves from 1961-67 (although KC and Minnesota had team so it wasn't quite the gap Chicago would have been).

Why not? OTL already have 3NL and nobody raise that issue.

I just mean the AL would be willing to leave the Angels out there by themselves. We know that because they did it in OTL.

The NL wasn't willing to have a team in California by itself. They required the Dodgers to find a relocation partner (the Giants in OTL, the Phillies in TTL).

I just mean the AL would be willing to leave the Angels out there by themselves. We know that because they did it in OTL.

The NL wasn't willing to have a team in California by itself. They required the Dodgers to find a relocation partner (the Giants in OTL, the Phillies in TTL).

OTL the AL had Boston, NY, Baltimore, DC, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, KC, Minnesota and LA. LA was out there on an island a bit, but KC and Minnesota were at least close enough. Chicago is barely in the Central Time Zone and nearly 1,800 miles from LA (KC is only 1,350 or so miles to LA. It’s a marked improvement.) A team in LA with no one west of Chicago would be next to impossible, which would lead the AL perhaps to wonder if 1961 wasn’t the time to expand to LA.

If they don’t, DC probably gets a team, along with...hmm, I dunno, they beat the NL to the punch in Houston? Or maybe Atlanta if they stay east. Let’s say they get into Atlanta and the AL stays more to the east. Not sure what the team would be called, though.

The Chargers get over the hump with Brees in 2006, and Marty stays as HC for at least a few more years. Also, since Marty isn't fired, Norv Turner stays in SF as Rivers' offensive coordinator, giving Rivers more continuity. However, success doesn't come to the Bay Area until 2011, when Jim Harbaugh comes on the scene.

As for Alex Smith, I have a feeling that he falls down to the Packers at 24. Jon Gruden (Tampa Bay HC at the time) said that he liked Smith, but he also said the same about Rodgers (he passed him up and took Cadillac fifth overall. Gruden has a tendency to lie, anyway). Then, after the Skins take A-Rod at 25, I see Jason Campbell falling to Cleveland in Round 2 (34th overall. I say that because they took Akron QB Charlie Frye in Round 3).

Smith is better in GB than he was in SF (sitting for a few years behind Favre), but he doesn't win a ring. As for A-Rod, he takes over as the starter in 2007, and the Skins go 11-5 and get the five seed (the Giants get the sixth). After the Redskins and Giants win the WC round, the Skins lose in Dallas, and the Giants win in GB. Then, after winning the NFC Title, the Giants still upset NE in the Super Bowl.