Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

Chapter Thirty-Six: In Atlanta and Near Macon (Part IV)
  • Geon

Donor
    The White House, 5:20 p.m.:

President McCormack had just finished reviewing a report sent to him by the F.B.I. And he was not happy with what he was reading.

According to reliable sources membership in various paramilitary militias around the country was on the rise. Total membership was up 10 percent since November.

Many of these groups were not overtly racist in nature, but several of them – including the KKK – most decidedly were. The groups that weren’t were highly patriotic, many of them forming around veterans who were concerned about the directions the nation had taken since November.

The report cited several reasons for the rise in these groups. First, of course the uncertainty surrounding the deaths of both President Kennedy and Vice President Johnson. The public for the most part was not satisfied with the lack of information they were getting from the government. And who can blame them? McCormack mused. If I were John Q Public, I’d be skeptical due to the lack of solid information. But the problem is we really don’t know anything yet. So, far the death of President Kennedy appears to be the work of one deranged man and the death of Johnson a sad accident. But we cannot definitively prove either to anyone’s satisfaction yet.

Second the report cited continuing tensions between the Soviet Union and the U.S. breeding paranoia. Many right-wing publications were proclaiming the events of November 22nd, 1963, had been orchestrated in Moscow as part of an overall plan to bring down the U.S. government and cause Americans to lose confidence in their government. Americans who joined these militias genuinely believed they were protecting their families against a perceived Red Tide.

Thirdly, an increase in racial unrest, specifically in the South was breeding a fear of an out and out insurgency by militants (either black or white). There was a genuine concern that the voices of moderation (such as Dr. King’s) were fading, and re strident voices were replacing them on both sides.

The report concluded that while none of these groups posed an imminent threat, they still represented possible sources of growing tension that could exacerbate an already volatile situation.

McCormack considered the situation. The Second Amendment allows for these groups to exist. Unless they are clearly seen in violation of the law there is we can do about this. For the moment we have to hope that these groups stay peaceful and don’t try to stir up trouble.

Chapter Thirty-Seven: What Shall we Do with the Drunken Admiral
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Thirty-Seven: What Shall We Do with the Drunken Admiral?​

January 30th, 1964, The White House, 11:00 A.M. EST:

A meeting was under way in the White House with Foy D. Kohler presenting a report to President McCormack, Secretary of State Dean Rusk, and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, also in attendance was Robert Kennedy, Attorney General.

Although he could not elevate Bobby to the office of Vice President, President McCormack was determined to make Bobby his right-hand man in every way possible. Hence, he asked him to sit in on several meetings that normally would not concern the Attorney General.

Now, they were all listening as Ambassador Kohler described his meeting with Foreign Minister Andrei Gromyko and the apparently drunken rant of Admiral Andrei Seratov.

After describing Seratov’s tirade Kohler took out a folder and looked it over before speaking. “According to our sources in the C.I.A. Seratov is a paper pusher, someone who no sane person would put in charge of a leaky rowboat. He’s been reprimanded many times for drunkenness on duty. My impression is that no one would seriously entrust a man like this with any sort of sensitive information.”

“Nevertheless, I don’t think we can totally discount what he said,” Robert McNamara said thoughtfully. “Why did Gromyko have him there in the first place if he knew how unreliable the man is?”

Kohler shook his head. “I suspect Gromyko wanted a Russian military representative present as an intimidation factor. He asked the Defense Department to send over someone who would look impressive and keep quiet. What he got was Seratov.”

“But what if the Defense Department sent over Seratov because they wanted to send their own message,” said Dean Rusk? “We know there has been growing tension between Khrushchev and Malinovsky since the Cuban Crisis. What if this was a way to further discredit both Gromyko and Khrushchev and try to show that Defense is in charge, a sort of a mini coup?”

“We can’t dismiss that possibility,” said President McCormack. “Everything our intelligence people are telling us indicates Khrushchev’s days are numbered. This could be an attempt by Malinovsky to undermine Gromyko and Khrushchev’s authority both in the Kremlin and with their most powerful opponent, us.”

“And we can’t totally dismiss the possibility that Oswald was an agent acting under orders in Dallas,” said Bobby Kennedy. “Right now, we have no idea what if any connections beside his Russian wife Oswald still had with the K.G.B. And that brings up its own can of worms. Was the Dallas Incident the result of a black operation by the K.G.B. acting independent of the Kremlin? We know this has happened before.”

Kohler sighed. “Mister President, Secretary McNamara, Secretary Rusk, Attorney General Kennedy, in my official capacity as ambassador to the Soviet Union, I am convinced that what we heard from the good Admiral Seratov was the bluster of a drunken man and nothing more. I don’t think we should attach any importance to it.”

President McCormack was silent for a moment then said. “Foy, I’m inclined to agree with you, but given the number of uncertainties we still have about the mess of the Dallas Incident, and also given the situation in the South with the increasing violence and racial tension as well as the rise of a growing militia movement on top of our announcement of blockading North Vietnam and reports of Russian ships from their Pacific Fleet heading southward to shadow our forces, I feel we need to take some proactive steps here to safeguard ourselves in case someone in the Russian government is preparing for something big. I think for safety’s sake we need to raise the Defense Condition to Four to let the Russians know we are watching them.”

“That could send the wrong message to Khrushchev Mister President,” said Dean Rusk with a clear concern in his voice.

“It isn’t Khrushchev I’m sending this message to, it’s Malinovsky. If he’s part of a cabal that’s planning something I want him to know we are ready for him,” declared President McCormack.

“The Russians could misinterpret this,” Ambassador Kohler replied, also clearly concerned with the direction this was taking.

“I know Foy,” said the President quietly. “And it will be your job to assure Gromyko and Khrushchev privately that they have nothing to fear if the Russian military doesn’t try anything funny either on the blockade line or elsewhere in the world. This is more a message to Malinovsky than it is to Khrushchev. And it may give Khrushchev a bit of leverage to use against the good Defense Minister if it’s seen his actions are precipitating a crisis.

The room fell silent as everyone in the Oval Office pondered what had been decided here. Another round in the international poker game that was the Cold War was about to begin. And who would win this round and what stakes might be on the table before it ended, nobody knew.

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Being Prepared
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Thirty-Eight: Be Prepared​

February 1, 1964, Evening; A Field in Central Michigan:

The Central Michigan Freedom Militia (CMFM) was concluding an event that had lasted from noon until shortly after sunset.

Among the activities that day had been workshops on rifle and gun safety, shooting contests both with rifles and handguns, there had also been classes on camouflage, and shooting at targets from a prone/concealed position.

There had also been a fine luncheon and supper prepared by the women of the CMFM, as well as activities for the children a safe distance away from the shooting competitions and workshops.

Now as the conclusion to the day’s activities the Reverend Donald Pritchard (fictional name) was about to deliver the closing address. Rev. Pritchard was the pastor of the Methodist Church in the nearby town and was well-known to everyone there, many of whom were members of Rev. Pritchard’s church.

After being introduced by the head of the CMFM the Pastor began to speak.

“Folks, first I want to thank everyone who came out on this cold February day. We had quite a good turnout and I am grateful to all of you for coming.

“There are a lot of people in our communities who wonder what we are doing out here when there’s snow on the ground. Why are we out here training to use rifles and guns and learning all this military stuff? I suspect there are many of you here who wonder that exact same thing.

“Some people think we’re preparing for some sort of revolution or insurrection against the government. None of that is anywhere near the truth.
    “Why are we here? Very simply the reason is, the events of November 22nd, 1963.
    “Some of us weren’t big fans of President Kennedy or President Johnson, and some of us were. That’s what makes this group and others like it special. We come from all sides of the political spectrum.
    “But all of us have one thing in common. Namely, a deep suspicion over the ‘official’ reports on what happened in Dallas that day.
    “Now, I’m not about to go spouting off some of the conspiracy theories you’ve heard flying around in some of the news lately. But what I do want to do is point out that there is a lot we don’t know.
    “We don’t know if Oswald was the only assassin involved in the death of President Kennedy. We do know that Oswald is a card-carrying Communist who spent time in the Soviet Union.
    “We don’t know what happened on Air Force One, later that day when Vice President now President Johnson was shot. While five Dallas police officers have been arrested and will soon be brought to trial, we still don’t have any idea what really happened. The government has not yet given us any clear picture of what happened.
    “In addition, we have these recent outbreaks of racial violence, the church bombing outside Montgomery, Alabama, the fire-bombing of the Woolworth’s in Selma, Alabama, the riot in Selma, Alabama, the murders, apparently racially motivated near Meridian, Georgia, and the retaliation for those murders throughout Georgia.
    “Finally, we have this recent crisis building between the Soviets and the U.S. over the naval blockade of North Vietnam.
    “Here’s the big question; is all this related?
    “Now, I am not an alarmist, but I do believe in being prepared. If you go out on a hot summer’s day and see some low hanging clouds in the distance approaching with an ominous rumbling noise in the background, you would be ill-advised to wait until those clouds are upon you to start taking precautions.
    “That is exactly what we are doing here. We see clouds on the horizon and are taking precautions. Not because we know a storm is coming, but because we want to be ready in case one does come.
    “Our one and only purpose here is to prepare, to prepare so we can protect ourselves, our families, and our homes. That is the only reason we are here. We are all neighbors here, and neighbors should care for and about one another. And learning to protect ourselves is part of what this is all about.
    “We hope and pray to God that none of this training will be needed. But better to be prepared and not need this training then be unprepared and face a crisis without it.
    “We trust in the Lord and act prudently, that is the reason we are here. Now, let us pray…”

Similar gatherings were occurring that week throughout the country.

Chapter Thirty Nine: Surprise!
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Thirty-Nine: Surprise!​

February 3, 1964, The Evening News with Walter Cronkite, 6:30 p.m.:

TRANSCRIPT

Walter Cronkite:

“Good evening, tonight another twist in the so-called “Dallas Incident” which occurred following the assassination of President Kennedy. In an exclusive interview with reporter Dan Rather, a local Dallas night club owner has come forward claiming he saw at least two of the Secret Service detail for President Kennedy and Vice-President Johnson at a local bar the night before the assassination of President Kennedy and the shooting of President Johnson.”

[Cut to Dan Rather]

Dan Rather:

“I am speaking with local night club owner Jack Ruby. Who claims to have seen two of the agents on President Kennedy’s secret service detail at a local bar the night before the assassination. The bar simply known as The Cellars is well known in the Dallas area for hosting out-of-town visitors including actor Lee Marvin. Mr. Ruby, you claim you were at The Cellars the night of November 21st?”

Jack Ruby:

“Yes sir. I happened to be visiting the bar because business was slow at my own club. And I had decided to visit other bars to find ways to improve my own establishment. While I was enjoying a drink at the bar, I noticed two men at the bar wearing suit and ties. That isn’t unusual given the Cellars hosts a mixed clientele. However, they were talking about the job they had tomorrow with a young lady. They told her they were Secret Service men assigned to protect President Kennedy. At first, I thought they were simply shooting their mouth off and trying to impress the young lady. But the way they talked I began to wonder I they weren’t telling the truth. When the young lady walked away to talk with another person, I asked the two gentlemen if they really were Secret Service agents, and one of them showed me their badge. I ordered drinks for them and myself and we talked for about half hour before I excused myself and left.”

Dan Rather:

“Mr. Ruby, it’s been over two months since the Dallas Incident. If I may ask why are you coming forward now?”

Jack Ruby:

“I…after seeing all those pictures of President Kennedy’s widow, Jackie, and of Vice-President – excuse me – President Johnson’s widow Lady Byrd, my conscience really started bothering me. For a while I was quiet because I was honestly afraid if I said anything the Secret Service would close my nightclub. But I felt I had to say something for the sake of Jackie and Lady Byrd.

Dan Rather:

As of right now the Secret Service has not commented on this latest revelation by Mr. Ruby. Likewise, the District Attorney for Dallas County has been quiet except to say this new information will be evaluated. In any case this is yet another twist in this increasingly complex story. Walter back to you.

Chapter Thirty-Nine Surprise! Part 2
  • Geon

Donor
    February 4, 1964, 8:00 A.M. EST; Washington, D.C., The Department of Justice, Attorney General’s Office:

The next morning a very nervous James Rowley found himself summoned to Attorney General Robert Kennedy’s office. Rowley knew why he was summoned, and he also knew this was probably the end of his career.

As he opened the door into Robert Kennedy’s office the Attorney General fastened a very sharp glare on Rowley and said simply, “Well?”

Rowley spoke as carefully as possible.

“Mr. Attorney General, first please allow me to tell you what I know. I didn’t become aware of what happened until, like you, I saw it on the new last night. Evidently the agents involved never “ratted” each other out. Not even during the debriefing the very thorough debriefing they all had when they returned to Washington. Believe me sir, I am just as anxious as you to learn the truth behind this.”

Kennedy was clearly struggling to control his temper. After a minute he said, “Mr. Cowley, you are telling me that none of these agents ever said anything to anyone about their visit to this bar, The Cellars, the night before the assassination of my brother and the murder of the vice-president?”

“Yes sir, I know that it may be hard for you to believe. But I swear to you that I did not know this until that interview last night,” Rowley said now visibly sweating.

Kennedy sighed and then said, “James, you know how this is going to raise even more questions among the public and elsewhere regarding what happened in Dallas? We are going to have conspiracy theories coming out our ass at a time we can’t afford them. We need to get on this and get on this right now. I want you to interview both agents that were at the bar that night. Find out everything they talked about. Then I want them arrested for dereliction of duty and possibly divulging sensitive information, am I clear.”

“Yes sir,” replied Rowley. After a moment he handed a piece of paper to the Attorney General. “Sir, when this is over, I want to tender my official resignation to you. I should have seen all of this and acted on it earlier. I take full responsibility for it, all I ask is that you let me get to the bottom of it and try to make things right here before I resign.”

Kennedy looked the typewritten sheet over and handed it back to James Rowley. “No,” he said after a moment. I won’t accept this. At least not now. I need you to help me try to control the damage this new barrel of gunpowder has given us. I may accept it later once – if things calm down. Right now, I need you to find out what happened that night, and fast James. Things are starting to move a lot faster than I would like.
    ----------
    Note from author: Things get hectic where I work this time of year so updates may be fewer and shorter for now but please comment and enjoy this little bit.

Chapter Thirty-Nine, Surprise Part 3
  • Geon

Donor
    And as I promised, here is a brief snippet for your review and enjoyment. One thing be aware I am not an expert on legal matters so if anyone reading this is please any advice will be appreciated.

The Attorney General’s Office; 3:00 p.m. EST:

Later in the day the door to Robert Kennedy’s office opened slightly and a stick with a hat was cautiously thrust in. Kennedy chuckled and said, “Come in Edwin,” As his aide Edwin Guthman entered, he said, “I wanted to be sure I wouldn’t be the target of any blunt objects thrown my direction, given how angry I heard you were this morning.”

“Sit down,” Kennedy gestured to one of the chairs.

“I’m still mad as hell, but at least there’s a bright side here. The agents at the Cellars the night before the assassination were not up front during the shooting incident on Air Force One. However, that doesn’t mean they are off the hook. They will be standing trial with the other agents.”

“So, what have you got for me now?” Asked Kennedy.

“The Defense in the DPD case has filed a countermotion to the Dallas Attorney General’s motion that the trial be moved out of Dallas. They contend the purpose of our moving the trial is so that we can choose a biased jury.”

“Like a jury in Dallas won’t be biased on the side of the defense?” Kennedy said sighing.

After a moment he said, “Edwin, let the Dallas AG office know, I want those trials to start soon. If that means, we must go with Dallas as the trial location so be it. I’ll risk a potentially biased jury. I would rather have that then have both sides drag this out. The sooner we can get these trials taken care of the better it will be for all involved.”

Edwin nodded, then Kennedy asked, “Anything new on Daniel Bradley?”

“Yes sir, there is,” said Edwin. “Mr. Hoover called me earlier to say they got a substantial lead that Mr. Bradley may have been seen at a Howard Johnson’s in Cincinnati, Ohio two days ago. Apparently, his fondness for that particular restaurant may be helpful in tracking him down.”

“I hope so Edwin,” Kennedy replied. He is the key to figuring out what really happened on Air Force One. He can provide answers we and the country need.”

Chapter Forty: The Spark and the Explosion
  • Geon

Donor
    I happen to have some free time so here is the first part of chapter 40. Note, the names and locations here are fictitious except for George Wallace of course.

Chapter 40: The Spark and the Explosion​

Outside McIntyre Motors in Macon, Georgia; February 7, 1964; 8:00 p.m. EST:

Charles Robert McIntyre, the proprietor of McIntyre Motors was in a hurry. He had to close up shop and get ready for a meeting tonight.

Charles McIntyre was the Grand Wizard of the local chapter of the KKK. They would be meeting tonight in a field across from the Baptist church he was a member of. Tonight, they would be hearing from a speaker from Alabama who was going to talk with the group about the presidential chances for George Wallace. It was clear to Charles that Wallace was the best chance they had to stop this “commie infiltration” of the government by people the likes of the Kennedys and that traitor Johnson. As far as McIntyre was concerned the s-b had gotten exactly what was coming to him back in November.

McIntyre was as usual the last one out of his business. He prided himself on being the first one to arrive in the morning and the last one to leave at night. Whatever else might be laid against him McIntyre was a hard worker and expected the same of all his employees.

McIntyre was just turning out the lights and getting ready to lock the door to his dealership when he felt something poke into his back. A voice behind him said simply, “Don’t turn around.” Moments later a man came up and snatched the keys out of the startled man’s hand. He unlocked the door to the dealership and led the way inside.

Quickly the men – there were three – led their captive to the service area where cars were repaired which was connected to the show room. When they arrived one of the men quickly bound the man’s arms behind his back and tied his legs together.

No one heard the three shots that rang out in the service area moments later. After several minutes the three gentlemen, all wearing stocking caps over their faces emerged with one of the men locking the door to the dealership. The keys would be thrown into a convenient trash can as the group drove out of town.

The body of the unfortunate McIntyre would not be found until early the next morning. His wife concerned when she was phoned and asked where her husband was by other members of his “club” had phoned the police. The police had checked the dealership and discovered the man’s car was still there. Calling an employee to open the dealership up the police had entered. They would find Charles McIntyre now deceased bound and shot three times in the head. Next to him was a note that read:

THIS GRAND WIZARD OF THE KKK HAS BEEN EXECUTED BY THE BFA.

TAKE NOTE, A NEW DAY IS HERE FOR THE BLACK MAN.

WE WILL NO LONGER COWER BEFORE A BURNING CROSS.

John Mason X and his self-styled Black Freedom Army had struck once more and once more there would be consequences for their actions. Consequences that would shock a nation.

Chapter Forty: Part II
  • Geon

Donor
    First @pdf27 I am not aiming for a dystopia here. However anyone who has done any writing here knows that a story/TL once started can take off in some unexpected directions once the creative process starts. As I phrased it in one of my other TLs 'the ripples made go on forever.'

----------​
    February 9th; Sunday evening, 7:30 p.m. EDT:

At 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 8th people throughout the United States tuned in on their favorite TV channels expecting to see either Wagon Train (ABC), The Wonderful World of Disney (NBC), or My Favorite Martian (CBS). Instead in each instance they saw the words SPECIAL REPORT followed by announcers telling them they were interrupting their standard programming.

On NBC the faces of David Brinkley and Chet Huntley came on the air. Chet Huntley looked up and said, “Good evening. Tonight, one of the worst riots in the history of the United States is under way in the city of Macon, Georgia. Following the murder of Charles McIntyre, owner of a car dealership in that city and purportedly a member of if not the leader, of the local chapter of the KKK bands of white citizens have entered and attacked black neighborhoods throughout the city. David…”

“Chet, at this point information on the situation in Macon is unreliable at best owing to the chaos there. However, this is what we know. At 10 o’clock last night bands of citizens calling themselves, the Citizens’ Action Committees for the Protection of Macon entered predominately black sections of the city and began to attack churches and other buildings where it was known the Southern Christian Leadership Conference was conducting its campaign to register black people to vote. They attacked any individuals who were in the buildings regardless of whether they were affiliated with the SCLC or not and they proceeded to set those buildings ablaze. The violence apparently then spilled over into the surrounding areas. Chet…”

“David, at this point we are getting word, unconfirmed at this time, that many of these mobs are armed with guns and are seeking out leaders in the black community. Large sections of these predominately black neighborhoods are reported to be on fire. There is also word, unconfirmed at this time of black homeowners and citizens arming themselves and fighting back against the attackers. As of this time we have no confirmation of this.”

“The rioting which started earlier today is still going on at this time. And as of this hour the Macon police force has been unable to restore order in the areas where the riots are occurring. And… (here Chet Huntley looked down as a piece of paper was handed to him), here is an update, Mayor Benjamin Franklin Merritt, Jr. earlier requested that the Georgia National Guard be called up to restore order in Macon. And Governor of Georgia, Carl Sanders has as of ten minutes ago, authorized the release of the Guard to do exactly that. David…”

“Chet, the situation in the riot zones is so dangerous reporters are not being allowed into those areas. Police have set up cordons to keep reporters and others out of the area and the mayor has declared a curfew in effect beginning at 8:00 p.m. tonight and lasting until 7:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. I repeat the mayor of Macon, Georgia has authorized a curfew to begin at 8:00 p.m. tonight and last until 7:00 a.m. Monday morning.”

“In addition, we are being told by reliable sources that the Macon fire department is unable to enter the riot zones due to heavy gunfire, from what sources we are not aware yet. Those few teams able to enter the zones are reporting that they are unable to fight the fires due to sabotaged hydrants and shots being fired at the firefighters. There are also unconfirmed reports of mobs purposely attacking and cutting hoses as they were set up by the firefighters. We will have more on this situation as we are able to get information. Finally, and this is very ominous we have been told that hospitals throughout Macon, Georgia were told as of early this morning to prepare for, and I am quoting here ‘a mass casualty event.’ As of now we do not know what the number of casualties is for this riot but according to one official at one of Macon’s hospitals who asked not to be identified the number of casualties is expected to be ‘horrific’. David…”

President McCormack is expected to make a statement within the hour, as is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Governor Sanders has declared a state of emergency for Georgia and has warned that any rioters – regardless of race – will be in his words ‘punished to the fullest extent of the law.’”

The other two networks were likewise reporting this disaster as a shocked nation listened to hear what President McCormack and Dr. King would say.

Chapter Forty-One: Appeals for Calm
  • Geon

Donor
    Well, I seem to have some extra free time at work today so that means all of you might have a few new updates coming.

Here is the first.

Chapter Forty-One: Appeals for Calm​

Washington, D.C: The Oval Office; February 7, 1964, 8:45 EST:

At 8:45 p.m. President John McCormack addressed the nation.

“Good evening my fellow Americans.”​

“As I come to you tonight the city of Macon, Georgia is ablaze because of growing seething racial unrest that has been brewing in the South and elsewhere in the past few months. What is happening in Macon is not simply the result of local tensions there. It is the result of growing tensions throughout the South caused by extremists on both sides if the color barrier.”​

“The past few months have seen the bombing of a black church in Alabama, the fire bombing of a Woolworth’s whose owner decided to allow black people to eat at his lunch counter, and a riot in the same town as blacks and whites attempted to peacefully protest the racial divide that has separated this nation for so long.”​

“Individuals on both sides of the color barrier have attempted to use these incidents as an excuse to resort to violence. In Meridian, Georgia three white men who were allegedly members of the Ku Klux Klan were murdered in a gas station. Their murder triggered the murder of three members of the Southern Christian Leadership Coalition who were helping with voter registration throughout the state of Georgia.”​

“A few days ago, the owner of a car dealership in Macon, Georgia was found murdered, he also was a purported member of the KKK. His murder triggered the present senseless brutality we are witnessing tonight.”​

“The First Amendment of our Constitution guarantees the right to peaceably assemble. The Second guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. However, neither of these guarantees any right to behave as we have seen many of the citizens of Macon behave from yesterday morning until tonight. There is no excuse for this behavior regardless of what color you are.”​

“I commend the quick action of Mayor Frank Merritt and of Governor Carl Sanders in working to restore order in Macon, Georgia. It is my fervent hope that the National Guard will be able to restore order in that community. But if they are unable to do so I am fully prepared to take the next step.”​

“I have ordered Federal troops of the U.S Army to stand by for deployment to Macon and other parts of Georgia if the situation there does not improve or if it deteriorates. As of now, I will not send these troops in without the permission of Governor Sanders or Mayor Merritt, but make no mistake, if the situation does not improve, military units will be sent in to restore order.”​

“To the people of Macon, I have this message. You have a choice. You can either behave like civilized human beings and be treated as such. Or you can behave like lawless savages and be treated accordingly. The choice is yours.”’​

“One hundred years ago, Abraham Lincoln said, ‘a house divided against itself cannot stand.’ As your president I pledge I will do all in my power to ensure that the forces that are attempting to divide this nation are the ones that will not stand.”​

“Thank you and good night.”​

Chapter Forty-One (Part 2):
  • Geon

Donor
    Birmingham, Alabama, 16th Street Baptist Church; 9:00 p.m. EST:

In an unprecedented move the networks all carried a speech broadcast by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 15 minutes after the President’s speech. Dr. King was shown standing at the pulpit of the 16th Street Baptist Church as he began to speak.

“First I wish to thank all three of the major television networks for allowing me time to speak during this crisis.”​

“I want to begin by building on what was said by President McCormack a short time ago. For the past few months, the situation here in the South has been building to a crisis point as the result of extremists on both sides of the color barrier.”​

“There are those on one side of the barrier who feel threatened because they feel the status quo is threatened. They are afraid that if their neighbors are given the same rights as they are they will lose their jobs, lose their homes, there will be an increase in crime, that their neighbors will demand vengeance for years of injustice. These fears are unfounded. We seek nothing more nor less then the rights guaranteed to us in the Constitution of this great nation.”​

“There are those on the other side of the barrier who fear that the tactics we have used thus far are inadequate. They fear that if we do not act more forcefully even violently our voices will not be heard or heeded. They are tired of waiting and are willing to use violence to demand what they feel are their God-given rights. Yet, they should understand that giving in to this sort of fear and resorting to violence will only have the opposite effect.”​

“In both of these cases we are dealing with fear, fear of the unknown. We cannot allow this fear to guide us. We cannot allow it to motivate our actions. We cannot allow ourselves to be swallowed by it. For if we do, we shall all black people and white fall into an abyss from which there will be no return.”​

“I call upon the people of Macon to remember the words of the beloved disciple John when he said that ‘perfect love casts out fear.’ White man do not be afraid! You are not threatened by your brother who only desires to enjoy the freedoms you have. Black man do not be afraid! Do not let you soul give into despair and violence. Change is coming and already here. We will see a new day dawn when all of us will truly be able to go where we want to go, and be what we are called to be.”​

“It is time to put down our weapons. It is time to come together. Let us snuff out these fires of hate and instead kindle a new fire of liberty, brotherhood, and love. It is time to reach across this barrier and break it so that we no longer see the color of a man’s skin but the quality of his heart.”​

“Put down your guns. Look at your neighbor. See him for who he really is.”​

“Thank you all, and God bless you and keep you this night and always.”​

Chapter Forty-Two: Retribution
  • Geon

Donor
    This may be my final posting for the day. But please enjoy.

Chapter 42: Retribution​

Macon Georgia, February 8, 1964, 9:00 p.m.:

John Mason X drove through the midst of the burning neighborhoods of Macon. And was disturbed by what he saw.

When he founded the BFA he believed that violence, controlled violence, might force change down the throats of those who wanted to keep the black man “in his place.” He thought once they got a taste of their own medicine that things would finally change.

He had expected some tit for tat killing. It was regrettable but he believed these deaths would outrage the black communities enough to make them see that the only way that the black American was going to win his rights was to fight for them. And if that meant taking up a gun, so be it.

But driving through Macon as the riots continued to rage, he had not in his wildest nightmares pictured this.

Whole blocks of homes were on fire. White gangs were looting black businesses and setting them ablaze. On one block he had seen a house burning while hanging on a tree next to the house two black men were hung by nooses. There were bodies both black and white lying in the streets. John hadn’t seen scenes of violence this bad since the Korean War.

John had wanted to start a revolution. He had not wanted to start a slaughter.

After the murders he and his two compatriots had remained at the motel they were staying at fully intending to depart a day or so later allowing things to cool down in Macon. But instead, the violence had spilled over to where they were staying. The owner of the motel had alerted him and his friends as well as all the other motel guests that white gangs were roaming the streets at will seemingly. He was advising all guests to get out before the gangs got there.

John had heeded the warning and left. Although he hoped and prayed that the owner had gotten out in time. These gangs were in a ‘killing mood’ and didn’t care who got in the way.

John and his gang were now trying to find a way to the main roads so that they could get out of town. But as they turned a corner, they saw the sight of a station wagon stopped in the middle of the street behind which were four white men with shotguns and rifles. The men were firing at two black men on a porch who were in turn firing back with rifles of their own. There was a body lying on the porch still clutching a rifle.

John didn’t hesitate. He slammed on the brakes, grabbed his combat rifle opened the car door and rolled out using the car door as cover. His two friends – who were no strangers to combat moves did the same.

Using the car doors as cover the three immediately started shooting at the totally surprised four men at the station wagon. Two of the men immediately fell to the fire of the three combat veterans. The other two quickly took cover behind the station wagon to use it for cover. One of the men used a walkie-talkie to contact another group of his fellows who were nearby to let them know they were in trouble.

The two men on the porch acknowledged John Mason’s help with a nod. One quickly ran into the house and brought out his family; his wife and 3 children. With the help of the other they began to retreat behind the house to a ‘hopeful’ place of safety.

At that moment another car, a sedan pulled up around the corner and three more men with rifles piled out. John turned to face them but was hit by four shots in rapid succession. He was dead before he even hit the ground. The other two seeing their leader fall tried to charge the newcomers but doing so they forgot about the two behind the station wagon. They were immediately caught in a crossfire between the two groups.

When it was over John Mason X and the two members of his Black Freedom Army were dead. The men who had killed them loaded the bodies back in their car and torched it. The charred bodies would be found later. They would be among many of the unidentified dead that night.

Chapter Forty-Two: Retribution (part 2)
  • Geon

Donor
    Just to be clear, I do not own any rights to C.B.S. or any of the historical or real-life figures portrayed here. This is for entertainment purposes only!
    ---------------------
    C.B.S. evening news 6:30 p.m. EST:

Walter Cronkite:
    “Good evening, throughout the South tonight riots have broken out in several major southern cities over the murder of Charles McIntyre in Macon, Georgia. In the cities of Atlanta, Georgia; Montgomery, Alabama; Mobile, Alabama; Natchez, Mississippi; and elsewhere white mobs are reported to be attacking black communities burning homes and businesses. The governors of the states of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana have all declared states of emergency and are at this moment ordering the National Guard mobilized in their respective states.”

“Governor George Wallace speaking on the present disorder has declared, ‘I will use all means at my disposal to bring an end to this needless violence. Lawlessness from any quarter will not be tolerated in this state!”

Cronkite pauses:
    “The crisis in the South took a personal turn for us here at C.B.S. news earlier today as Dan Rather travelled to Macon, Georgia to report on the developing situation there. For an account of what happened we are joined by Dan Rather’s cameraman Robert Houseman [fictional name] and Mr. Harry Presser, a reporter for WMAZ – Channel 13 in Macon.

[Cut to local studio of WMAZ where Presser is interviewing Houseman.]

Presser:
    “Mr. Houseman thank you for being willing to appear on camera to explain what happened to you and the rest of the crew. Now, as I understand it you had arrived in Macon and Mr. Rather had wanted to get closer to the area where the riots were occurring, is that correct?”

Houseman:
    “Thank you, Mr. Presser. Yes. Once we arrived Dan Rather had insisted, we try to get into the area where the actual riots were occurring as he wanted to try and show how serious the situation was. We had been warned both by the Macon police and he National Guard that there were still large areas of the ‘danger zone’ as they called it that were still not under control. However, Dan was not going to be deterred. He insisted that we try to get in via one of the side streets not being blocked by the police or the Guard. We had a local driver with us who was willing to help us here.

Presser [aside to the audience]:
    “The driver has refused to be interviewed or have his face shown in camera for fear of harm coming to him or his family and we have respected his wishes. Please continue Mr. Houseman”

Houseman:
    “We had gotten inside of the perimeter and were getting ready to broadcast when a group of men, white men with guns, came up and began to harass us. A few minutes later they were joined by another group. One or more of them apparently recognized Mr. Rather. A few moments later they proceeded to stop us from filming. They physically grabbed and restrained Mr. Rather. A few moments later one of them ordered me to keep the cameral rolling or else they would shoot me. One of them made a brief statement that I was forced to record and tape and then I and the driver were released and told to play this tonight or else Mr. Rather ‘would be in big trouble.’”

Presser:
    “And what did you do then?”

Houseman:
    “We managed to get back to the perimeter and told the police and the Guard what had happened. Both the driver and I were questioned and then arrested. We were later released on our own recognizance.”

Presser to audience:
    “We have a copy of the film here and will be playing it in a moment. A word of warning to our audience. This may not be suitable for young children to see. Parent discretion is advised.

Moments later the recording begins as a man dressed in a plaid shirt addressed the camera.
    “This is a member of the White Citizens’ Action Committee of Macon, Georgia. The Northern communist-run television media has chosen to portray us as nothing more than stupid savages brutalizing so-called innocent people. They have chosen to take the side of the communist agitators that are trying to destroy our communities rather than the good church-going honest members of this community who are fighting for our homes and the lives of our families. Well, no more. We of the Macon White Citizen’s Action Council are not going to stand for any more of this. As of right now, your communist representative is now a prisoner of the Council and will be held until all and I mean all ‘reporters’ from out of this state remove themselves from Macon. Furthermore, we are demanding that our side of this story be told. We want the city of Macon and the nation to understand we will not tolerate one of our own being murdered in cold blood. We will take matters into our own hands if necessary to protect our lives, our families, and our property. Mr. Rather will be returned to his handlers at C.B.S. once we have assurances from all three networks that their teams of agitators have been withdrawn. We are also demanding a sum of $25,000 to be paid to us as payment for the out and out libel that has been levelled against us by these so-called news reporters. That’s all.”

Presser:
    “Thank you, Mr. Houseman, for your courage in bringing this to us and for speaking with us today.”

[turns to camera.]

“As of this moment the Macon Police Department have issued a statement saying that they are ‘using every means at their disposal to find Mr. Rather and ensure his safe release.’ As further information on this kidnapping becomes available, we will relay it to you. This is Harry Presser returning to you in New York, Walter.”

Last edited:
    Chapter Forty-Two Part 3
  • Geon

Donor
    he White House; The Oval Office, 8:15 p.m. EST:

President John McCormack had called a hurried meeting to discuss the crisis in Macon and the South. Present were Attorney General Robert Kennedy, Head of the F.B.I., J. Edgar Hoover – hurriedly recalled from Macon, Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Maxwell D. Taylor, and Speaker of the House, Carl Albert.

After summarizing the events witnessed by the nation on the nightly news barely an hour and a half earlier the President continued. “I have been contacted by the heads of all the major networks as well as those of several of the nations’ leading newspapers demanding that I ensure the safety of Mr. Rather. It’s been made crystal clear by C.B.S. already they won’t be paying any ransoms and none of the news media are going to bow to the demands of what one of the presidents of a major newspaper called ‘those red necked thugs.’”

President McCormack sighed. “Gentlemen I don’t see much choice. This vigilante group in Macon that kidnaped Mr. Rather has crossed the line. If we let them get away with this, then it will be a major blow to any news agency that wants to fairly report on race or anything else in this country. If we give in here other groups will use similar tactics to try to manipulate when, where, and how the press may operate. That is a serious danger to our First Amendment rights.”

The President continued, “I have therefore decided to send the 101st Airborne Division into not only Macon, Georgia, but also Atlanta, and Montgomery, Alabama. I will also be calling for the nationalization of the National Guards in Alabama and Georgia to ensure the Guard there cooperates fully with the Army. General, are your troops ready to deploy?”

“Yes sir, give the word and within two hours I can have advance units of the 101st in all three cities, “replied General Taylor.

The President nodded. “Once the troops are deployed, they are to conduct an aggressive search with the Guard for Mr. Rather. They will be responsible for ending the violence in these key cities by any means necessary. I am done with playing cautiously here. Any group inciting violence in this country will not be tolerated. I want all the members of the KKK and similar groups either suspected or actual rounded up for questioning. Mr. Hoover, you will provide General Taylor with a list of all those you know to be part of these groups. Likewise, any members of groups who are trying to agitate trouble among the black community are to be arrested. Those who are innocent of any crime will be released later pending investigation.”

Hoover bristled. “Mr. President I would ask that we not take such extreme measures. I have several investigations going on that depend on informants in some of these organizations. If we do as you suggest my sources will be gone completely and much progress in several investigations will be lost perhaps permanently.”

“It can’t be helped Edgar. This has gone beyond just a few crimes this is now a matter of an armed group dictating to the American people what they will or will not hear on the news. This ends now!” The President made the declaration angrily sweating as he did.

“Are there any other questions?” The President asked. “Then General if you would give the orders, I will have a Presidential declaration signed within the hour authorizing the deployment of your troops.” General Taylor saluted and then left. Shortly afterword a very unhappy Hoover left followed by Bobby.

Bobby looked at Hoover and said, “For the record Edgar, I agree with you. An undercover team might be more appropriate here to rescue Rather. But you can guess the pressure he’s under now,” Kennedy said looking back toward the doors to the Oval Office.

Hoover shook his head. “I’m just thinking that it’s unlikely we’ll be able to get operatives in these organizations again any time in the near future. They’ll be more paranoid than ever. And that will make them even more dangerous."

Back in the Oval Office Speaker of the House, Carl Albert shook his head. “The Congress will certainly support what you’re doing Mr. President although we are likely to hear howls from the delegations from Alabama and Georgia as well as many other states in the Deep South about a Second Northern Invasion.”

“John,” Carl continued,” You know that what you’re doing could be a critical blow to our chances to hold the White House much less the Congress come elections. The sympathy vote for Kennedy and Johnson is starting to evaporate rapidly according to the latest polls. Doing this could turn all the Deep South Republican for the first time since before the Civil War. And that would be an absolute disaster.”

“I know Carl,” replied John McCormack. “But there’s more at stake here than an election and you know that. This violence has to be stopped now before it tears this nation apart. If that means we lose in November, so be it. I know one thing, after the election this will all be someone else’s problem.”

Even as he spoke John McCormack felt a growing pain in his chest and wondered if this was something he should speak with his physician about.

Chapter Forty Three: Mercy and Judgment
  • Geon

Donor
    Author's note: I don't know what the law is in Alabama for third-degree murder, so this is my best guess, anyone who is better versed on this is more than welcome to correct me.
    -----------------------------
    Chapter 43: Mercy and Judgment​

Montgomery, Alabama; Federal Court Building; February 10, 1964, 9:00 A.M. EDT:

It was a crowded, and closely guarded courtroom that Billy Robert McKay was led into that cold February morning. Outside the building Montgomery police, National Guard troops, and Army troops from the 101st Airborne were guarding the courthouse and other government buildings against rioters. The situation n Montgomery was still volatile and there were still reports of violence throughout the city, but the presence of the police, the Guard, and the Army had quickly turned the tide. Hopefully peace in the city might be restored soon.

Along with the inevitable number of reporters were members of Grace Baptist Church, including Miss Minnie May. The elderly woman had gotten up early to visit the jail where Billy Robert was being held but when she was arrived she was told that no one was allowed to see him until after sentencing. This morning the elderly lady had prepared some hot cinnamon rolls for Billy Robert and the officers. One of them promised Miss May that he would make sure Billy Robert got at least two of them.

That gratified Miss Minnie May. Her gift from the Lord she believed was being a good cook. And to her cooking was like praying. She offered prayer over everything she baked. The idea of Billy Robert going into his sentencing hearing on an empty stomach was simply not right, not right at all. Later, Detective Peterson had come up to her and told her Billy Robert had two of her delicious rolls with his coffee and asked the Detective to thank her profusely.

At 9 a.m. Billy Robert was brought into the courtroom handcuffed and shackled. At the sight of the young man being led in with his hands and feet shackled Miss Minnie May exclaimed, “Oh now why do you want to be leading him around like that? Take those things off him, he ain’t going to run away!” The exclamation drew a smile from the guards and from Billy Robert. Similar expressions came from some of the other members of Grace Baptist Church. After a moment’s consultation with the officer in charge, the officer leading Billy Robert in removed the handcuffs and leg shackles.

A few minutes later the judge entered, and all rose as he took his place at his bench. After gaveling the court to order he looked at Billy Robert and spoke.

“William Robert McKay, you have pleaded guilty to being an accessory to the bombing at Grace Baptist Church that claimed the lives of eleven people. Are you prepared to hear the sentence against you?” In a calm quiet voice Billy Robert replied, “Yes, your Honor.”

The judge paused. Billy Robert had pleaded guilty to being a party to the bombing. Under Alabama law that made him guilty of First-Degree Murder, punishable by life imprisonment or the death penalty. But, after Billy Robert had entered his plea, the judge had received a petition signed by all of the members of Grace Baptist who had survived the bombing and even the families of a few of those who had died asking him to show leniency and mercy to the young man. Among the signatories was the now nation-wide known “pie lady of Montgomery”, Minnie May. In addition, a letter asking for leniency had arrived from a gentleman with the initials MLK.

After taking a moment to consider all this the judge said, “William Robert McKay, it is the decision of this court that you will be sentenced for this crime but not on First Degree murder, rather you will be sentenced on eleven counts of Third-Degree murder all of which will be served concurrently. You are hereby sentenced to 20 years in the state penitentiary with time off to be considered for good behavior. This court stands adjourned! A bang of the gavel and the proceedings were done.

Several members of Grace Baptist Church looked satisfied and happy and with Miss Minnie May leading the way headed down to where Billy Robert was being led out of the courtroom. Miss Minnie May completely heedless of the guard came right up to Billy Robert and put her arm around his shoulder (no mean feat given Billy Robert was taller than her). Then she exclaimed, “The good Lord will be with you child, and don’t you worry. I’ll be visiting you each week with one of my pies. You just behave yourself in prison and you’ll be out in no time. I believe that. You were and are in my prayers every night!”

Other members of Grace Baptist gathered around Billy Robert and echoed the words of Miss Minnie May. Billy Robert teared up and wept saying simply, “I’m so sorry.” One of the members whose wife had died in the explosion put his hand on the man’s arm. “That’s all we and the Lord needed to hear son. You’re in his hands, remember that.”

Billy Robert nodded and was still in tears as the guard led him out. No one seemed to notice the guard was also trying to hold back some tears.

An Interlude
  • Geon

Donor
    Here is a lighthearted little offering for the Christmas season. As I told you in an earlier post I am fond of the circus and this is what I had in mind back then. I am writing this as my muse kicked into high gear last night while I was eating supper and I had to write this down. Also, I wanted to change the tone a bit given how dark my TL has been. To @ric350 and others who may have suspicions that I am moving toward a dystopia I sincerely hope this little bit of whimsy will correct that perception. Please enjoy and have a Merry Christmas.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Interlude: Two Men on the Flying Trapeze​

Denver, Colorado; July 7, 1967, 7:15 p.m.:

Ethel Kennedy sat in her seat nervously looking at the program for the next act of the Clyde-Beatty Cole Brothers Circus. Next to her were 7 of her 9 children all of which were extremely excited. After all, how many kids could say their daddy was a circus star?

Ethel thought back to the very moment when this insanity began. A year and a half after her husband had ended his time as Attorney General, in 1966 they had gone to the Barnham and Bailey Circus when it had come to Los Angeles. With them, as a guest, was George Plimpton, noted journalist, columnist, and a friend of the Kennedy family. Plimpton believed that you couldn’t really write about something unless you had first experienced it. He was planning to write a book on the circus as well as a TV documentary on the life of circus people but of course that meant getting into the heart of how they lived.

But did George Plimpton choose to go in for the rough and tumble – but relatively safe route of the roustabouts who put up the tents and helped set up the show from town to town? No. He wanted to see the circus from the perspective of a performer in one of the most elegant and dangerous acts in the circus, the flying trapeze.

But it wasn’t enough that George Plimpton wanted to put his neck on the line, no he had roped her husband Bobby into joining him. Ever since the disaster-laden year of 1964 dubbed by the media – the Year Things Almost Fell Apart – Bobby had done his best to avoid politics for the time being. As he had told his wife the day after Inauguration Day. “At least for the next three years this Kennedy family is going to have one motto – Have fun!”

And have fun they did. Visits to the zoo, vacations in foreign countries, travelling the U.S., these past years had been a wonderful time and had seen the stress-filled Bobby finally relax. He had assiduously avoided news reporters who tried to corner him on whether he would run in ’68. And Ethel was glad to have her husband “back full-time” as she described those years in a Women’s Day article.

Then had come that fateful visit to the circus in ’66 with George Plimpton. Afterward George had discussed his upcoming circus project with Kennedy at their home. And before you knew it Bobby wanted in on the project being a journalism major himself. And Plimpton and Kennedy decided they would write about circus performers from the perspective of the trapeze flyers.

To say that Ethel Kennedy and the rest of the Kennedy family were upset with Bobby’s plans would be a great understatement! Rose Kennedy, once she learned about Bobby’s project, threatened to disown him. But Bobby had the Kennedy s stubbornness and determination. Once he decided he was going to do something he stuck to his guns no matter what.

In the fall of 1966 Robert and George had approached the people at the Clyde Beatty Cole Bros. Circus to propose their idea. The publicity aspect of this of course immediately prompted the owners of the circus to say yes. Plimpton had wanted to start training a month or two before their actual performance, but Kennedy nixed the idea. They would start training and practicing while the circus was in its winter quarters. Kennedy wanted to do things right and that meant training and getting their bodies in shape for their one-time performance.

Working with the Flying Alexanders the two had begun training in December of 1966. As Kennedy would write in the book published by him and George Plimpton later:

“The training period was one of the most physically demanding I have ever experienced. George and I did exercise routines and started using muscles we didn’t even know we had! And those muscles reminded us of that fact every night!​

We also had to learn a level of teamwork that you didn’t find elsewhere. In the circus you depend on one another. And often that dependence means the difference between life and death.” (From Two Men on a Trapeze by Robert F. Kennedy and George Plimpton, published 1969)​

Kennedy and Plimpton would travel with the circus on and off for the next seven months learning the ropes, literally at times and practicing with the Alexanders. Kennedy didn’t want Plimpton or himself to do anything halfway. They would only be in one performance and Kennedy wanted the tricks they would do to be perfect.

As a concession to Ethel’s frazzled nerves Kennedy promised that he and George would only do the ‘simplest’ of tricks during their one performance. That still didn’t calm her, but she put on a brave show in front of her husband for the children. And of course, all their children were excited. As mentioned earlier what child doesn’t love the circus and what child can boast in school that his dad was a circus star?

Now Ethel watched as the ringmaster announced the next act. When the name George Plimpton was announced there was a polite applause. George was not well known at this time outside literary circles. But when Kennedy’s name was announced the crowd Ethel would later swear did a double take! Who?

Ethel would later relate to her husband the reactions of the crowd in his book.

“I could see the looks on several faces portraying sheer disbelief. Bobby was a well-known face, and he had many fans in the crowd. After several seconds the cry of ‘Bobby, Bobby, Bobby’ started coming from many of the young teen and adult members of the crowd. ‘The ‘Kennedy magic’ was apparent even here under the Big Top!” (From Two Men on a Trapeze)​

Wearing the spangled costumes of the trapeze artist like the Alexanders first Plimpton then Kennedy carefully climbed the rope ladder to the platform. Again, Kennedy would relate later:

“The one part of the whole business that truly tried my nerves was climbing up to the platform. As both George and I had learned the most dangerous point of the trapeze act is the climb up and getting to the platform. Once there a lot of the nervousness was gone.” (From Two Men on a Trapeze)​

The time quickly came for Kennedy and Plimpton to perform their trick. First, George Plimpton flew out and did a quick pass to the catcher, Bobby Yerkes, who caught him and then made a pass back to the trapeze. Plimpton would later write in his book:

“The first time I did this in training I found I tore a muscle in my shoulder. It took a month for it to heal. But by the time I finally performed the trick before a crowd it had become second nature for me to know how to do it.” (Ibid. see above)​

Then it was Bobby’s turn. He took off on the trapeze like he had been born to do it commented one of the Alexanders later. Bobby did a pass with Bob Yerkes grabbing him by his legs and swinging him out over the crowd. At that moment Ethel had grabbed some binoculars and trained them in his direction. She would swear later she saw Bobby look down in her direction and wink at her!

To Ethel’s relief Bobby safely returned to the platform. She was even more relieved as the act ended and her husband and Plimpton descended via the net of course and dismounted like regular trapeze stars. The audience went wild with more chants of “Bobby, Bobby!”

Ethel was relieved when the act ended. And again, that would be an understatement. But she had to admit the children’s’ reaction was one as she would say later of “absolute ecstasy.” And she was just glad to have her husband back safe and sound.

Bobby and George would go on to write their book and the actual act had been recorded on tape to be part of the documentary they would do based on the book for A.B.C. television. The documentary itself would go on to win an Emmy in 1968.

Robert would insist that his share of royalties from both the book and the documentary would go to the Jesse Jackson Memorial Fund which provided young black men and women with scholarships for college.

And Robert’s stint with the circus would also be a surprising boost to his political career when he began his run for president in 1968. One political ad showed the scene of Bobby performing his part of the act with the narrator saying, “He’s not afraid to handle this, do you think he’s afraid of people like Brezhnev?”

---------------------------
    P.S. My inspiration for this came from the documentary below.

Chapter 44 Meanwhile in Dallas
  • Geon

Donor
    And here is an extra Christmas present for everyone!

Chapter 44: Meanwhile in Dallas​

February 11, 1964; Federal Courthouse, Dallas, Texas; 9:30 a.m.:

It would be stating the obvious to say that the courthouse was well guarded on this bright chill February. Thankfully the riots and unrest that were still gripping other parts of the South had not – for the most part- spread to Dallas. Nevertheless, the mayor had ordered off duty police to be on duty in case there was trouble and Governor Connelly had the National Guard on standby.

At 9:00 a.m. two police vans drove into the garage of the courthouse and five men were escorted out – four of these were the police officers who had been aboard Air Force One during the Incident. One was Jesse Curry, former commissioner of the Dallas Police Department. For their safety each man wore a bullet proof vest under their street clothes. The DPD was taking no chances.

Outside the atmosphere was surprisingly calm. There were a few with signs reading – WHAT REALLY HAPPENED ON AIR FORCE ONE and FREE THE DALLAS 5. But for the most part the crowd was peaceful.

In the courtroom the five were seated with their respective attorneys. The gallery was for the most part empty except for a group of select reporters. The judge had made it clear he wanted no spectators other than the press. Even family members of the accused were not allowed in the courtroom. If they wished to talk with their loved ones, they would be able to do so after each session in rooms set aside for that purpose.

The trial began with the attorney general once again petitioning the court for a change of venue. The reasoning was given the publicity and potential animosity of the DPD the trial might be biased in the accused’s favor. The judge already had heard other petitions and once again dismissed this one on the grounds that as far as he could see the prosecution wanted to bias things in the other direction against the accused. The motion was denied.

The judge then asked the Defense Attorneys who were representing the accused if they were ready. All five of the attorneys said they were.

Finally, the judge asked the accused if any of them wanted to change their plea of “not guilty”. Of The Dallas Five as they were now called in the news four were charged with two counts of involuntary homicide and one count of discharging a firearm in a federal installation. Chief Curry was charged with one count of lying to a Federal officer and one count of trying to conceal evidence. The charges were the ones the Federal prosecutor felt were the ones that could be made to stick given the still uncertain facts behind the actual incident aboard Air Force One.

Satisfied the judge asked that the jury be brought in. Several minutes the jury was seated. Finding an unbiased jury in Dallas had been one of the reasons the trial had been delayed by a month. Both sides had objections to various potential jurors. The present jury was made up of 7 men and 5 women of which 1 man was black and 1 woman was Hispanic.

Once the jury was brought in opening arguments began. The trial of the Dallas Five was underway.

Chapter 45 Back in Macon
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter 45: Back in Macon

The C.B.S. News with Walter Cronkite, February 12, 6:55 p.m.; EST:

The evening news was coming to an end with Walter Cronkite preparing to say good night in his traditional manner to his listeners. The news from the south that day was better than it had been for the last day or so. Most of the rioting had died down in almost every major city where there had been a flare up. Only in Macon, Georgia was the violence still occurring and National Guard and Army units were still having trouble bringing areas of the city under control.

As Cronkite prepared to say goodnight to the nation, he paused and said, “Before we say good night, I want to give a personal thank you to all of those out there who have sent in cards and letters of well-wishing for the Rather family. We here at C.B.S. news appreciates your kind concern and prayers for our colleague, Dan Rather…”

At that moment someone off camera handed Walter Cronkite a sheet of paper. After pausing a moment to look at it Walter looked up and said, “It appears we have some breaking news out of Macon, Georgia and we take you now to local C.B.S. affiliate reporter Brad Cooper [fictional name] in Macon.

A moment later a youngish looking man appeared on screen standing on a street outside across the street from a house that was surrounded by police cars and an armored personnel carrier.

After a moment to ensure he was “on the air” Brad began. “Walter, we are outside a home in the Macon suburbs where behind me you can see that a joint operation is coming to a conclusion by the Georgia National Guard, members of the 101st Airborne Division, and the Macon City Police Department.”

“According to a report given to the press just 15 minutes ago, an anonymous source had tipped the police that kidnapped reporter Dan Rather was being held here. Thirty minutes ago, the combined forces I mentioned earlier staged a raid on the house behind me. The press arrived barely ten minutes after the shooting stopped. According to the press release we’ve been given this was one of the headquarters for the Macon White Citizens’ Action Council, the group who kidnaped Mr. Rather on live TV.”

“The combined team of guardsmen, soldiers, and police conducted a swift assault of the house. According to the statement they engaged four men inside in a firefight. During the fight evidently all four of the men in the house were shot and killed. It is also reported that one Macon Police officer is dead, and another seriously wounded, and a National Guardsmen is also shot and is reported in serious condition. Mr. Rather was found in one of the house’s bedrooms. He appears to be uninjured and has been taken to the nearest hospital for observation.”

“To repeat, an early evening raid by a combined force of Macon Police, National Guard and Army troops has resulted in the freeing of C.B.S. reporter Dan Rather, however at this time we can confirm 5 dead and 2 injured as a result.”

Last edited:
    Chapter 46: Aftermath
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter 46: Aftermath​

The riots in the Deep South (Georgia, Atlanta, and Mississippi) lasted for 5 days gradually petering out. But they would leave a deep scar on the nation.

A total of 358 people died in the riots throughout the South, with most of those deaths being in Macon Georgia (215). Thousands were injured and, in some cases, hospitals turned away the injured not because of any issue with color but because there was simply no more room. The arrival of the National Guard and medical units of the 101st Airborne proved to be literally lifesavers for many victims.

Property damage would later be tallied at 1.2 billion dollars in 1964 terms. Again, the worst damage was in Macon where a good part of the poorer sections of the city was destroyed displacing hundreds of people whose only crime was the color of their skin.

Yet, it was not only black people who suffered. It would later be determined that 53 of the deaths that occurred over those 5 days were white people. Most of these deaths were the result of black heads of families and others defending their homes against white “action councils”. But sadly, there were several instances of white people being in the wrong places at the wrong times. The story of a white family trying to get away from the rioting only to be stopped and the father dragged out of the car and beaten to death in front of his wife and 3 children would make the newspapers throughout the South and beyond and would only add fuel to the fires that were already burning.

The riots would have several aftereffects. The first of these was a mini migration of those left homeless by the violence to the north. For many, left homeless by the riots there wasn’t much left to keep them and the promises by the mayor of Macon, Georgia that homes would be rebuilt quickly fell on deaf ears of people tired of promises that were never kept.

Among black people the riots created a rift. Most still hoped that Dr. King’s non-violent approach to civil rights would eventually run through all the hatred. But there was a growing and vocal minority who felt that the time of talking, and moderation was ended, and it was now time to seek more radical and if necessary violent solutions to the issue of civil rights.

Dr. King wept and fasted for days following his broadcast on national television. He refused any interviews and spent much time at his church in prayer. After the violence ended Dr. King emerged more determined than ever to go ahead with his plans for a second march on Washington come October. He was also equally determined that the peaceful protests would continue.

But there were others such as Malcolm X who saw the riots in the South as the wake-up call for the black minority. In one speech following the riots Malcolm X proclaimed, “There are those who still think we can negotiate with the “white devil”. Those people will probably want to keep talking right up to the time they are shoved into the gas chambers by the very people they are talking to who seek to destroy us!” Malcolm X stopped short of calling for an armed rebellion but not by much.

On the other side many white people were coming to sympathize with the views of the Klan. To be sure the number was not large, but it was significant. Many feared this was the beginning of a race war being incited by communists. After the violence of early February 1964 more militias began to crop up throughout the south mostly but also in other parts of the country.

Although the riots had a polarizing effect on many, they also had the opposite effect of bringing people together. In many of the cities hit by the riots white families opened their homes to homeless black families. In many of the cities hit by the riots groups of churches began to band together – black and white – to help with rebuilding and to try to start building relationships. It would be noted that more sympathetic white clergy and laity started appearing at SCLC meetings and likeminded gatherings.

Over the remainder of that winter the people of Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi would bury their dead, care for the living, and try to put the pieces back together in the cities where the violence had flared. While there would be some on both sides that seemed to be gearing up for war others sought to seek a way to end this cycle of violence once and for all.

Chapter 47 : First In First OUt
  • Geon

Donor
    It's been a while since I last posted but here is a short chapter. Please enjoy!

Chapter 47: First In, First Out​

Montgomery, Alabama; February 14, 1964, 8 A.M. EST:

Governor Wallace sat at his desk looking over the reports of the damage in Montgomery and elsewhere in the state following the riots in the south which many newspapers were now calling the Southern Days of Rage.

Alabama had gotten off relatively lightly from the riots with “only” 45 people having been killed and over 100 injured. Damage in Montgomery was moderate but still enough that over 200 families were now homeless. And the damages were likely to tally into the million-dollar mark. Still, it was not as bad as what had hit Georgia.

For Wallace the past few days had caused him to do some hard thinking about what was happening in the South. Rev. King’s warning at their earlier meeting was now resounding in his ears. The riots were proof of just how bad the situation was. It wouldn’t take much for another such incident to start another series of riots perhaps worse then the first. And on and on the cycle would go. And how many people on both sides of the color barrier would pay the price next time and the time after?

Over and over again in Wallace’s mind the question had been asked especially this past week. What price are you willing to pay to sit in the White House?. How many dead bodies would he have to climb over to reach there?

After several minutes pondering the question Wallace reached for a pad of paper and began to write a statement that would be delivered to the press later on in the day.

His conscience could no longer stay silent. He would not ride into Washington, D.C. over the bodies of innocent people. He would not sit in the White House if it meant others would sit homeless because their homes were burned down by riots.

Wallace was withdrawing from the presidential race.

And he would make it his business to ensure that somehow this “race bomb” as he would later call it would be defused throughout the south.

Last edited:
    Chapter Forty Eight: The Cam Rahm Bay Incident Part One
  • Geon

Donor
    Well, I"m back, although I have to warn everyone that updates may be a little bit slower at least for a while. Again, thank you for all your well wishes. One thing I should note the destroyer's name I used was from World War II. I don't know if the name would be reassigned given that the destroyer in question was sunk at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. In any case I hope everyone enjoys this.

Chapter 48: The Cam Rahm Bay Incident (Part One)​
    Washington, D.C.: February 17, 1964, 7:48 p.m. E.S.T.:

In the main dining room of the White House the President was holding a formal dinner for the visiting President of Mexico.

For President McCormack, even though this was supposed to be a formal diplomatic affair, he found he was finally able to relax after several stressful weeks. The riots in the Deep South had finally petered out. The trial of the so-called Dallas 5 was now under way.

Most welcome however was the news that Governor Wallace had bowed out of the presidential race before the first caucuses in Iowa. With Wallace out of the race hopefully we can get a moderate nominated come November, thought McCormack.

However, at that moment a presidential aide hurriedly walked in and going up to President McCormack whispered something. The President rose and after some apologetic remarks to the Mexican president and that he would be back in a few minutes hurriedly left the room.

The aide hurriedly escorted the President to the Situation Room. General Maxwell D. Taylor was waiting there looking at a map of Cam Rahm Bay.

“What happened?” The President asked.

“Mister President, we received word that approximately one and a half hours ago a Soviet submarine and a U.S. destroyer collided.” The General then gave a list of coordinates pointing to the map.

At the moment we have no details except that it appears both the submarine and the U.S. destroyer, named the Samuel Roberts were both damaged. At least six sailors on the Roberts are missing. As to the Soviet submarine, we have few details, but preliminary reports, and I emphasize these are early reports, seem to indicate the submarine may have sunk with all hands.”

After muttering an expletive President McCormack said, “Any evidence that this was deliberate?” General Taylor replied with the exasperated voice of someone who wished he knew more than what he did, “Sir, we just don’t know. Everything I’ve told you at this point is exactly what I was told by the Admiral barely an hour ago.”

Shaking his head, the President turned to his aide. “’Invite’ the Soviet ambassador to come to the White House. I’ll expect him at 9:30 this evening. Let’s see if he and his government know more about what has happened here. And get as much information about this incident as you can General, I’ll expect a full briefing by midnight tonight.”

General Taylor assured the President he would have more information by then – hopefully. The President then returned to the dining room to offer his apologies to the Mexican President that their dinner would have to be cut short owing to some “important matters.”

President McCormack returned to the dining room with a growing feeling of dread and the thought. Please don’t let the Press find out about this until at least tomorrow.