Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

Chapter Twenty Three (contd.) Meetings and Marches - part two
  • Geon

Donor
    Selma, Alabama, a private home; 6:00 p.m. EST:

At a private home just outside of Selma, Alabama the leaders of the upcoming march were meeting to discuss and make plans.

Among the leaders, most of them church leaders were Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Dr. Jesse Jackson, and the owner of the firebombed Woolworths.

Two police officers, the same ones who had watched over the sit-in at the Woolworths last month were also there. The chief-of-police of Selma had been invited but had refused and sent these two instead as his representatives.

“We want to keep our number manageable for this march,” said Dr. King. “I would say we try to get no more then 200 maybe 300 at the most for the march. Given the present tense situation I would rather avoid having too many people and risk a confrontation because of frayed tempers on our side.”

“What about frayed tempers on the other side,” said Jackson? “There are going to be a lot of angry people lining the march route from the church to the Woolworths store if what I’ve heard is correct.”

The two police officers responded that there would be two additional officers assigned to the march besides themselves as crowd control to keep things orderly. And although he clearly didn’t like doing so, the police chief had also assigned police officers to patrol the crowds for any sign of trouble.

Dr. King frowned. Four officers as crowd control with possibly hundreds of people lining the march route many of them hostile to the marchers. Would the police chief really have men on standby in the crowd, or would they conveniently be elsewhere at a pivotal moment in the march allowing the crowd to attack the marchers? A violent confrontation now could be a disaster for the movement and Governor Wallace who so far had lived up to his promise to lower the tension level.

The Woolworth store owner said, “If there is trouble Dr. King, I have a little argument for anyone who tries to cause trouble.” And here he reached into his jacket and pulled out an impressive Smith and Wesson revolver.

Dr. King was clearly troubled as were several others in the room at the show of a weapon. He asked the owner, “Is it necessary that you carry that on the march?”

The owner replied, “Dr. King, after I opened my lunch counter up to you and yours, I started receiving death threats by phone and by mail. For my family’s safety I’ve moved them to a friend’s house. My wife wants me to withdraw my support of you and announce that the new store will have a segregated lunch counter again, not because she’s racist but because she’s scared for our three children who’ve been threatened in school. I’ve never been one to back down from what I believe in. That’s why I’m marching with you. But I won’t leave myself defenseless and possibly have my wife and three children become a widow and orphans because I didn’t defend myself.”

Dr. King shook his head but decided not to push the issue. He has a point. Every time I go on one of these marches I wonder if I will see my wife and children again. I cannot deny him the right to protect himself.

The meeting was winding down when there was a knock at the front door. Dr. Jackson answered the door and found a young white man outside saying he had a note for Dr. King. The young man was allowed in the house and presented the note to Dr. King. It read.

Can we arrange another meeting? Name the time and place that’s convenient for you.

G.W.

Chapter Twenty-Four: Selma Bloody Selma
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Twenty-Four: Bloody Selma​

Selma, bloody Selma,
    In blood is writ your name,
    Selma bloody Selma,
    Darkness cannot hide your shame!

(From the Song; Selma Bloody Selma by Joan Baez, 1965)

Selma Alabama; January 7, 1964, 9:00 a.m. EST:

The march started peacefully enough at Brown Chapel A.M.E. church.

Over 300 marchers gathered at the church and after a prayer service began the march to downtown Selma.

By the time the group reached downtown there were, it would be estimated later, over 500 people in the march.

Crowds had also gathered to watch the march along the road the marchers took leading downtown. At first things remained peaceful. An occasional encouragement was yelled from the crowd as well as the occasional not so encouraging racial slur.

But by the time the group was approaching the downtown area and the site of the burned-out Woolworth’s the scene was starting to get ugly.

The crowds were bigger now and more hostile. Hateful words and obscenities were being shouted constantly now from the crowd. It would be noted later by investigators that:

“The crowd’s anger was being fueled by a handful of agitators who stir up the crowd’s emotions. Many of these agitators were clearly having their anger and hatred fueled by alcohol.” (From a report on the Selma Incident, February, 1965)​

By 9:50 a.m. the situation was clearly becoming more and more dangerous. By now debris – trash, paper cups, etc.- were being thrown at the marchers. The at 9:55 a bottle was thrown out of the crowd striking one of the female marchers in the head and knocking her to the ground.

Immediately some of the marchers moved to shield the woman from any further flying debris while others tried to move her back out of harm’s way. But now many lining the streets had their first taste of blood and things quickly spiraled out of control.

A group of men on the street rushed the marchers and began to exchange blows with them. Bottles and a baseball bat also appeared in the hands of some of these men as they attacked the marchers.

However, this was not entirely as one-sided as many later accounts would make it. Many of those lining the streets suddenly turned on the attackers. While many newspaper accounts would later speak of the violent crowds there were few reports of those in those crowds who fought to protect the marchers.

At the front of the march a group of men from the street swarmed the front of the march with Dr. King and other clergy as well as the Woolworth store owner. Again, punches were thrown, and the four police officers assigned to guard the march drew their nightsticks to first push and then batter back the attackers.

At this point the Woolworth store owner saw one of the rioters take out a gun and aim it in Dr. King’s direction. He also drew his Smith and Wesson and fired at the man before he could pull the trigger. The potential shooter fell. For a brief stunned moment, the crowd faltered.

Then with a loud yell the crowd surged forward against the marchers again. The four police guards had now given up on their nightsticks and had drawn their pistols, only to be mobbed by their attackers. Another shot rang out as one of the 4 officers was shot with his own gun. Seeing his partner down the other officer returned fire and one of the attackers went down.

By now the marchers were falling back and Dr. King was being hustled out of the front toward the back of the crowd. The Woolworth store owner was also falling back and some from the crowd on the street were now joining in on the marchers’ side to protect him.

Again, it is seldom reported in later accounts of the riot but friends and long-time customers at the store of the owner had gathered as a show of support and were determined to protect him.

A full-fledged riot was now raging with some not knowing who was on what side. The police protection that had bee. promised in some cases did their level best to restrain the rioters. But in other cases, unfortunately, chose to simply stand aside.

As the march retreated toward the church, they had started from their attackers continued to push in. By now, of the four police officers that had been assigned to the march, one had been shot and would later die of his wounds, two others were wounded leaving only one that was trying to protect Dr. King and the other clergy.

By now, some of the rioters were sitting fire to cars on the street whom they thought belonged to the marchers. And shouts of “hang-them” were being heard among the crowd.

The marchers retreated to the church where they tried to barricade themselves in the building even as their attackers formed outside.

As the mob outside grew several police cars pulled up and Selma police and Alabama state police began to arrest people both rioters and marchers. The Woolworth store manager was arrested as were Dr. King and several of the clergy who took part in the march. This last nearly caused a mini riot within the church, until Dr. King quieted the group with a few brief words.

Dr. King and his fellow clergy would be released by the end of the day. The Woolworth store owner would also be released. But, 22 other people from both sides would remain under arrest.

What would become known as the Selma-Woolworth’s Riot ended up claiming 4 lives and wounding over 100 people.

Dr. King would be unable to keep his meeting with Governor Wallace later that day.

Last edited:
    Chapter Twenty-Four; Selma Bloody Selma (part 2)
  • Geon

Donor
    Elsewhere in Selma, Governor Wallace had been preparing for his next meeting with Dr. King. Officially he had been in Selma to address the local Chamber of Commerce. The meeting had been cancelled once the riot had started. The governor knew that given the situation any meeting with Dr. King now was impossible. And he was not one bit happy about it.

He was sharing his unhappiness now with Selma’s mayor. “I am running on a platform of law and order, and that idiot you have as a police chief has to let a full-fledged riot start during my visit. How is that going to look to the press?”

The mayor responded, “Governor Wallace, I think the blame partially rests with the demonstrators at least given...” He never got to finish the sentence.

“Those demonstrators had a legal right to demonstrate. As I understand it, they had applied for and received a permit to do so. It is also my understanding that the chief of police had been invited to a meeting by Dr. King and the owner of the Woolworth’s store to discuss security plans for the march and refused to attend, sending only a representative,” said the angry governor.

“Furthermore, whatever preparations the chief of police made were to put it mildly inadequate at best! It seems to me that he wanted to see violence break out,” the governor continued.

Before the mayor could speak up the governor declared, “This is what we are going to do Mr. Mayor. First, I have ordered the Alabama National Guard to send a contingent of troops into this city to maintain order. Secondly, you will release Dr. King and all the leaders of the march. Only if there is incontrovertible evidence that they incited any of the violence may they remain in custody. Thirdly, I will be asking the state legislature effective tomorrow to start an investigation into the conduct of the officers who participated in the so-called security arrangements during today’s fiasco. Fourth, any officer who was found to be negligent will be dismissed from the force and brought up on charges of aiding and abetting civil disorder. And last, but certainly not least, I expect the chief of police’s resignation on your desk no later than tomorrow evening. This is not going to stand for one moment, am I clear?”

The mayor wanted to object. But this was the governor. If he so ordered, the investigations could be expanded to include his office. And if he was found negligent, he could face charges as well. The mayor realized he had very little to bargain with and simply said, “Yes Governor Wallace.”

Last edited:
    Chapter Twenty Four: Selma Bloody Selma (part 3)
  • Geon

Donor
    One hour after being lectured by Governor Wallace the mayor was speaking with Sherriff Jim Clark, the present chief law enforcement officer in Selma.

“You were supposed to provide protection to the marchers. Instead, we have a full-fledged riot break out, what happened," the mayor demanded?

“We just do not have the manpower to cover ever part of the city for something like this,” answered Jim Clark.

“Don’t lie to me Jim. We both know you had the manpower and to spare for this. Did you want something like this to happen," asked Mayor Smithson?

“No sir,” replied Jim Clark. “Sir, the owner of the Woolworth store is an acquaintance of mine. My men like to eat there often. And from what I heard he was justified in taking out his gun when one of them damn yahoos decided to pull out his. But once shots were exchanged there is no way on God’s good Earth that anyone could have stopped what happened next. From what I understand those marchers were as much responsible for what happened…”

“We had multiple news crews covering what happened,” interrupted the mayor. “I’ve already seen the footage and so has Governor Wallace. The footage seems to clearly show who were the real instigators here.”

“The Governor” queried Jim Clark? “You’ve already spoken to him?”

“He was in here personally not more than an hour ago. And he is not happy. Jim, he’s running on a law-and-order platform and now we have four people dead, and dozens injured in his own state. How is that going to make him look,” the mayor said getting up and pacing around the office?

“With respect Joe you shouldn’t have even sanctioned this damn march to begin with. You were just giving these damn D…….s” a chance to stir up trouble!" The chief of police said this forgetting himself for a moment.

“The reason these people are here,” Mayor Smithson responded heatedly, “Is to support one of our own businessmen, who is white I will remind you, who because he was willing to open his store to the black community had his store firebombed for his trouble. Many of those in that march were white!”

Before Sherriff Clark could speak up the mayor continued, “And what in the world possessed you to have him arrested? The man is only trying to be a good citizen and protect himself and one of your people has him arrested for and I quote ‘brandishing a firearm in public? What about the man who was aiming at Dr. King? And don’t deny that someone was. We have two witnesses in the crowd and three in the march who saw that man take a bead on King ready to shoot. My God Clark do you want Selma to go up in flames?”

Before Sherriff Clark could reply, Mayor Joseph Smithson continued, “Is there any credible evidence of any wrongdoing by either Dr. King or any of the other leaders of the march,” the mayor asked?

Sherriff Clark after a moment said, “No Mister Mayor.”

“All right, I want you to release Dr. King, the Woolworth’s owner, and the other leaders of the march. You are to apologize to them, personally, and you are to start an immediate investigation of why your men were not at their posts. Afterword you and I need to discuss your political future in this town,” the mayor concluded.

"Don’t go there Smithson. You want to take me down you might have more than you can handle,” the Sherriff said with a touch of threat in his voice. “We’ve had a good relationship for a couple of years now. Don’t let this turn us against each other.”

The mayor sighed. “Look Jim, we need to be honest with each other and face facts here. Wallace is going to be sending the National Guard into Selma starting tonight. I’m going to have to declare a curfew starting later this evening. There’s also a potential investigation by the Alabama Attorney General, not to mention the F.B.I. is going to be coming down her to investigate. If the governor wants to, he can have the Guard here for a long period of time. That and the investigation is not going to make either of us look good with the folks of Selma come election time.”

After several moments the Sherriff sighed. “All right, I’ll do it. I’m not one bit happy about it, but if it will get the Guard out of here faster, I’ll play nice here.”

The mayor smiled and said simply “Thanks Jim.”

Sherriff Jim Clark straightened his shoulders and said, “And you’ll have my resignation on your desk first thing tomorrow. My second-in-command can take over as Sherriff until the next elections.”

The mayor was surprised at the offer especially since he hadn’t brought the issue of resignation up. Jim continued, “It doesn’t take a genius to guess that our Governor wants a sacrificial lamb, and it looks like it’s me. This way you get to keep your job and the good Governor can repair some of the damage to his campaign.”

Last edited:
    Chapter Twenty Five: After the Smoke Clears
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter 25: After the Smoke Clears​

The next morning the newspapers around the nation would be proclaiming the bloody events that occurred in Selma, Alabama.

FOUR DEAD IN SELMA RIOT – The New York Times

SELMA’S SHAME – The Washington Post

And in Montgomery, Alabama a newspaper declared:

PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATION DISTRUPTED BY AGITATORS

Sheriff Resigns

----------​

In Washington, D.C. J. Edgar Hoover, and Robert Kennedy met in a private meeting with President McCormack.

“I’m afraid this is only the beginning Mister President,” said Hoover. “My sources are telling me we can expect attacks like what happened at Grace Baptist Church and yesterday in Selma to become more frequent as we draw closer to election time.”

Kennedy shook his head. “And we haven’t even seen the worst of it yet. We’ve got recruiters on college campuses up north trying to recruit more students to go down south to help with voter registration. And the thought of a second northern invasion won’t be sitting well with some of these people.”

President McCormack sighed, “This is what I was afraid of. A Wallace presidential bid is causing the violence in the south to escalate. Add in King’s announcement of an accelerated drive to register voters and a perceived ‘northern invasion’ and I agree with Mr. Hoover, things are bound to get worse before the elections,”

Kennedy felt he had to speak up. “Mr. President, this would not be a problem if you had not decided to table the Civil Rights Bill. King feels he needs to get the black vote out for this election now more than ever. Maybe you should reconsider.”

President McCormack rose from his desk and looked out the Oval Office windows behind him. “It’s not that easy Bobby. If I bring up the Civil Rights Bill now; first, there’s some doubt we could get it through Congress at this point. Secondly, if we do manage to get it through its libel to cause more violence as it will be assumed that we’re caving into King and his people.”

J. Edgar Hoover spoke up, “So, we’re between a rock and a hard place here. We table the bill and there’ll be violence we try to get the bill passed and there’ll be violence.”

“That’s pretty much a good summation Mr. Hoover,” said McCormack. “If L.B.J. had lived we might have had a chance of getting the bill through Congress and if was passed in a timely manner, I don’t think we would have the problems we are having now. But this is what we must deal with right now gentlemen. Like it or not, I suspect we are in for a very long and bloody time of it.”

---------​

In a private home in Montgomery, Alabama Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was also considering the idea of more northern college students volunteering to come south. Speaking to other leaders of the Selma March Dr. King said, “I don’t think so many northern young people coming south to offer their services in our various sit-ins and with voter registration is necessarily good for us.”

“But why Martin? Heck we can use all the help we can get,” declared the Rev. Jesse Jackson.

“Because those young people coming here will only throw gasoline on the fire Jesse. We’ve already seen the warnings, in Selma and outside Montgomery at Grace Baptist Church. Eleven people dead so far Jesse. And the year hasn’t even decently begun yet. I’m afraid that before November rolls around we’re looking at more violence. We’ve already had eleven martyrs. I don’t want more on my conscience.

After a moment Dr. King said, “I am going to make a public statement requesting young people to not come south to volunteer to help us. Things are just too unsettled right now. Better they should work to improve things in their own communities then come down here and possibly face violence. Things are just too volatile now.”

--------​
    The Selma Riot footage would be seen on television for days to come. It would spark outrage throughout the nation. There were calls for Federal troops to be sent into Alabama in Congress.

Investigations would be launched by local, state, and federal governments into the riot. It surprised no one that when the local investigation’s report came out later that year it was inconclusive. The state and federal investigations which would be wound up in Decembers, 1964 and February 1965 respectively placed the blame on agitators within the crowd and ineffectual police presence. Both would recommend an overhaul of the Selma police department.

The owner of the Woolworth store would eventually reopen with his lunch counter open to everyone.

Former Sherriff Jim Clark would be called before the investigation boards in Selma, Montgomery, and Washington. While the state and federal investigations found him culpable. He would be found “not guilty" of multiple conspiracy charges in court in 1966.

Last edited:
    Chapter Twenty-Six: Guardian Angels
  • Geon

Donor
    I’m worried for Minnie May‘s safety. She’s an icon of interracial harmony, and in those days, that seldom ended well.

ric350
    @ric350 Your post above was the inspiration for this chapter!

Chapter Twenty-Six: Guardian Angels​

Montgomery, Alabama; January 9th, 1964; late afternoon:

It was getting dark as Miss Minnie May left the jail where she had brought her weekly pies to both Billy Robert and to the police officers that so kindly allowed her in every week.

Minnie May had quickly become a favorite among the prisoners. She sat and talked with both Billy Robert and some of the other prisoners. And she brought two fresh baked pies each week for Billy Robert and his “friends” in prison as well as for the police who guarded them.

The elderly Minnie May hated all the fuss the newspapers made about her dubbing her, “The Montgomery Pie Lady.” She allowed one interview with the local papers but after that refused “further such nonsense,” as she called it. “I’m just doing what I know the good Lord would want me to do,” she declared to anyone who would listen.

Now she was on her way to her car which she had left parked a few blocks away. In her mind her foremost thoughts were on what kind of pies she would bake for her next weekly visit. She still had some of that homemade apple pie filling left from last fall, and she also had enough pecans for a southern pecan pie which the police at the jail loved.

But, while Miss Minnie May was contemplating what to bake for next week, two men were watching her from across the street. Men who were determined to teach a lesson to Minnie May and “her kind” about mixing the races.

That lesson would involve taking Miss Minnie May and forcing her into their car further down the street. Then driving her to a field in the country where “the lesson” would be administered

At a nod from one of the men the two walked across the street and began to approach from behind Miss Minnie May.

Miss Minnie May was oblivious of their approach until she heard a loud yelp behind her. She turned around to see the two men that had been stalking her being handcuffed by two police officers even as two plain clothes officers came up to check on her.

“Now Miss Minnie May,,” said one of the plainclothes men, “you know you should keep your eyes open around here.”

“Oh, mercy!” A startled Minnie May said. “Well, thank you kindly, Officer Peterson.” Officer Peterson was one of the plainclothes officers whom Minnie had gotten to know during her weekly visits.

“Well, we can’t very well have the best pie baker in Montgomery get hurt now can we,” said the plainclothes officer. Even as he spoke the two uniformed officers were taking the two would-be kidnapers away to a waiting squad car.

“Ever since you started delivering your ever-so-delicious pies well the boys down here at the station were concerned with you walking back to your car alone and all. So, some of us hang around in this area to keep an eye on things.”

“Oh, you are the sweetest boys,” exclaimed Miss Minnie May. Later she would say, when a journalist finally persuaded her to tell her story in a three part article that would be published in several national newspapers that at that moment Officer Peterson, with his cornsilk blond hair looked just like a guardian angel to me.”

“Now, let me escort you to your car and we’ll see about one of our police officers escorting you home,” Officer Patterson said smiling.

Minnie May said, “Well, then, I suppose I’m going to have to do three pies next week for you boys and for Billy Robert!”

No one was going to mess with Miss Minnie May, if the Montgomery Police Department had anything to say about it.

Last edited:
    Chapter Twenty Seven: More on Politics
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Twenty-Eight: More on Politics​

On January 10, 1964, Nelson Rockefeller formally announced he was campaigning for the presidency. Rockefeller became the second Republican candidate to formally declare himself. The first had been Barry Goldwater.

With the deaths of both President Kennedy and Vice-President Johnson, the presidential campaign for 1964 had been thrown into turmoil. Democrats were scrambling to choose a candidate that would allow them to hold the White House after McCormack made it crystal clear he would not be running.

There was a strong “draft Bobby” movement building in DNC, but Bobby Kennedy had already made it very clear he would not run in 1964. And Ted Kennedy was still too young and inexperienced to even consider.

There was also a growing movement dubbed ABW an acronym for Anyone but Wallace. While a large block of southern conservative Democrats laid their hopes on George Wallace more moderate southern Democrats were supporting Texas Governor John Connally.

As of mid-January 1964 the Republican field was limited to two candidates, Nelson Rockefeller and Barry Goldwater. Two more Republican candidates would join by the end of the month, Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. and William W. Scranton. Odds were heavy on either Rockefeller or Goldwater winning the nomination.

On the Democratic side of the equation there were four declared candidates: Hubert Humphrey, Gov. Wallace, Gov. Connally, and Averell Harriman.

None of the Democratic candidates could count on the “Kennedy magic” to help them this time. And with Johnson gone the South was up for grabs.

Whoever wanted to carry the South knew they would have to deal with a large conservative base there. Many democratic voters had already made it clear that if Humphrey won the nomination, they would vote Republican or stay away from the polls in November.

In the North the issues of jobs and economy meant that Rockefeller and Goldwater might well split the vital northern industrial states, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and New York.

A series of polls taken at the end of January were somewhat revealing.

When southerner Democratic voters were asked to choose who they would vote for between Wallace and Connally the response was:

Connally: 42%
    Wallace: 55%
    Undecided 3%

When northern Democratic voters were asked who they would choose between Humphrey, and Harriman the results were:

Humphrey: 39%
    Harriman: 18%
    Undecided: 43%

The Republican race in the North was fairly close between Rockefeller and Goldwater. When asked who they would want as President, northern Republicans said:

Goldwater: 33%
    Rockefeller 40%
    Lodge: 8%
    Undecided: 19%

Republican poll numbers in the south were in the single digit range for all three candidates with a large percentage 85% in the undecided category.

Finally in an overall poll of voters from both parties, if the election were held today who would be chosen as president the results were ambiguous at best.

Humphrey: 30%
    Rockefeller: 25%
    Wallace: 20%
    Connally: 18%
    Goldwater: 5%
    Harriman: 1%
    Lodge: 1%

The months when the primaries were held in this unusual election year would prove to be pivotal for all the candidates. And events around the nation and the world would also prove equally important as the ripples from the events of November 22, 1963 continued.

Last edited:
    Chapter Twenty Nine: An Address to the Nation
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Twenty-Nine: An Address to the Nation

On the evening of January 23rd, 1964, at 7 p.m. EST, regular television and radio programming was interrupted for a special address by the president of the United States, James McCormack, to the nation.

“Good evening my fellow Americans.

As many of you are aware for the last three years the United States has been aiding the democratic regime in South Vietnam by sending troops to that area to train the South Vietnamese army for the purpose of dealing with both incursions from her neighbor, North Vietnam, and from guerilla attacks by the Viet Cong.

There is more then abundant evidence that the North Vietnamese have been supplying weapons and training to their Viet Cong allies. And these weapons have been shipped into North Vietnam from both the Soviet Union and the Peoples’ Republic of China for the purpose of destabilizing South Vietnam and establishing a communist regime in that nation.

There has been concern in some quarters of this country that we would send more troops to South Vietnam to serve not merely in a training role and yes, in a very limited combat role, but to expand our operations to actively engage in regular combat operations against the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese army units presently in South Vietnam.

President Kennedy did not believe this to be a wise course of action. And I must totally agree. But if sending more troops to Vietnam is not acceptable neither is it acceptable that we should allow that nation to fall to communist tyranny.

Accordingly, earlier today a letter was presented to the North Vietnamese diplomatic delegation in Sweden to be delivered to the government in Hanoi. That letter states that as of midnight tonight Easter Standard time a naval quarantine will go into effect for the nation of North Vietnam. Even as I speak, a naval task force is moving in to effectively blockade North Vietnam ports. As of midnight tonight, all vessels entering a zone 30 miles off the North Vietnamese coast will be stopped and searched for any contraband.

This contraband shall include any military weapons and ammunition. Let me be clear, food and medical supplies shall – for now – be allowed through the blockade. But all military or military related hardware will not be. Those ships carrying such hardware will be ordered to return to their ports of origin.

I call upon the government of North Vietnam to reconsider its policies toward its southern neighbor. And I call upon that nation to publicly cease all support of the guerilla Viet Cong in the south. Failure to do so will result even stiffer penalties for the North Vietnamese should they persist in their actions.

As my predecessor President Kennedy acted decisively to deal with the threat of Soviet missiles in Cuba so now, I am acting decisively to end communist aggression in Vietnam. Our policy in Vietnam and elsewhere shall be simple as we send a message to both Hanoi, and their masters in Moscow and Beijing. That message shall be – not one more step.

Let no one doubt our resolve here. And in this time, let us remember our brave sailors and airmen as they fulfill their duties.

God Bless these United States! Thank you and good night!”

Chapter Thirty: Reactions and a Letter
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Thirty: Reactions and a Letter

World reaction was predictably quick in coming.

The day after the speech the U.S.S.R called an emergency meeting of the U.N. Security Council to discuss “this act of American piracy on the high seas.”

The Soviet ambassador to Washington went to the White House with a warning to President McCormack that these actions could have “very grave consequences.”

Both Beijing and Havana also condemned the action but in more subdued language.

Newspapers throughout the United States carried headlines of the blockade reminiscent of the Cuban Missile Crisis a little over a year ago.

Politically Wallace and Connally found themselves on the same side supporting the President’s actions while candidate Hubert Humphrey said he thought the move “ill advised.”

Averell Harriman and the Republican, Nelson Rockefeller chose to not say anything on the quarantine. On the other hand, Republican Barry Goldwater let it be known he was all for not only a blockade but bombing of any harbor in North Vietnam that might be used to offload such weapons.

Amid a developing world crisis, a letter appeared in several of the major northern newspapers in the editorial sections addressed to young people throughout the nation. The letter was from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

To Our Young Brothers and Sisters on College Campuses,​

All of you are probably aware of the tragic events of the past month. Specifically, the church bombing outside Montgomery, Alabama that claimed eleven lives and the tragic riot in Selma that claimed 4 lives. I know how angry and helpless many of you feel. I know that there are those who feel their place right now is to stand with us during these times and offer your aid to us.​

First, let me say that your hearts are certainly in the right place. And from the bottom of my heart, I say that your desire to help shows not only a commitment to basic rights for all but Christian decency as well. I am grateful for the support and offers of help that you have made.​

But, having said that, I must also say, the times are now very unsettled. There are those here in the south who do not wish to move forward. And would by any means keep things as they have always been. Such people we should not hate. Rather we should pray for them. The Scriptures say, “Do not overcome evil with evil, but overcome evil with good.”​

Because times are so unsettled here, I and the leadership of SCLC believe it would not be in our or your best interests for you to come here offering help at this time.​

Having so many coming from the colleges up north awakens old fears and hatreds that have festered for generations and will only breed more violence. Our concern is very much for your safety.​

I call upon you to remain home this season. And to work there for equality and peace. There is much to be done up north as well as here. “Let your light shine” therefore on the campuses, in the coffee houses, in your homes, in your cities, and at your workplaces.​

Look around your neighborhoods and see and respond. You can be of more good where you are then here.​

May God richly bless all of you as you strive to make this a better land.​

Martin Luther King, Jr.​

Chapter Thirty: Reactions and a Letter (Part 2)
  • Geon

Donor
    Moscow, U.S.S.R. the Kremlin, 10:30 a.m. Moscow time:

The U.S. ambassador to the Soviet Union listened patiently as he was lectured by the Soviet Union’s foreign minister, Andrei Gromyko on the “shortcomings” of the current decisions by the U.S.

“Mr. Ambassador,” Gromyko was saying, “Once before we endured this blockade of yours in the Cuban affair, barely over a year ago. Now you are ready to do this again once more putting the world at risk of war.”

“Foreign Minister, there is no risk of war other then what you are threatening here. We are not stopping legitimate trade with North Vietnam. What we are doing is stopping the arms shipments that supply both the NVA and the Viet Cong.”

Gromyko paused to collect his thoughts. It would be pointless to deny that the Soviet Union was supplying the North Vietnamese Army. American troops had found Soviet weapons and supplies in raids by both the South Vietnamese Army and U.S. troops on Viet Cong strongholds.

“If our North Vietnamese allies,” here Gromyko emphasized the term, “wish to aid their socialist brethren in the South to throw off a tyrannical fascist government I do not see that the U.S. has any business interfering.”

“We’re interfering no more nor less then you are in the conflict between North and South Vietnam, Foreign Minister,” Ambassador Foy D. Kohler responded. “Our intention is simply to ‘level the playing field’, as we say in America. This blockade/quarantine is meant to do just that.”

Ambassador Kohler continued, “We are fully prepared to stop any ship that may be carrying weapons or military supplies to North Vietnam. However, I have been asked to present a proposal to you.”

Gromyko simply said, “Continue, ambassador.”

“If the Soviet Union will be willing to withdraw all military support for North Vietnam for the time being, and make a public statement to that regard, the U.S. will be willing to not only end the blockade, but to also withdraw all U.S. troops currently in South Vietnam.”

“You said ‘for the time being’, what do you mean by that,” Gromyko pressed?

“We would expect you to use your good offices with your North Vietnamese allies to end all support of the Viet Cong and to recognize officially the existence of South Vietnam and its government,” said Ambassador Kohler.

“A most interesting offer,” said Gromyko clearly intrigued. “I will bring this before Comrade Khrushchev later today, Ambassador. But I must ask you to warn your president that this ‘gunboat diplomacy’ you are engaging in will only go so far with us.”

“Pah!” The exclamation came from a uniformed Admiral in the Soviet Navy who had been standing by Gromyko throughout the meeting.

Andrei Gromyko tried to maintain a straight face and not betray his great annoyance. Earlier in the day he had asked the Defense Ministry to send over a naval liaison to stand by him in his meeting with Kohler. Gromyko had hoped having one of the armed forces present at the meeting would serve as an intimidation factor.

But had they sent over someone who knew how to keep quiet and listen to orders? No, the fools had sent over one Admiral Andrei Seratov. The man was a paper pusher who had never had any sort of a command. He was one of the bureaucrats who owed his current rank more to the people he knew rather than competency.

Worse, Seratov was a drunkard. He was rarely sober. And that would have gotten him dismissed ages ago, but his patrons in the Politburo saved him from that fate.

Today, it was clear just from being near him that the man was already drunk. That he was able to stand at attention for most of the meeting surprised Gromyko. And the Foreign Minister had actually hoped he would stay silent for the duration of the meeting. But now…

“You have something to say, Admiral Seratov, said Gromyko, knowing he was going to regret it?

“Once again, the U.S. plays its games with us.” Exclaimed the Admiral. “But we can play this game too. In Cuba we showed our forbearance by allowing this farce of a blockade. But if the U.S. persists in this our submarines are more than capable of sweeping aside this capitalist farce of a blockade!”

Gromyko felt a headache both literal and figurative coming on.

“And if the U.S. seeks a confrontation with the Soviet navy it will lose. You also might want to tell your President that he is not safe from the wrath of the free peoples of the Soviet Union. We can deal with him just as easily as our agent Oswald dealt with his predecessor,” roared Seratov clearly enjoying the sound of his own voice.

“I think that will be all Admiral,” replied Gromyko struggling to keep his voice from registering the shock and anger he felt at that moment.

Ambassador Kohler considered his words carefully, clearly shocked himself by Seratov’s words. “Admiral, Foreign Ministers, I assure you the United States is fully prepared to meet any threat that may come our way whether it is on the battlefield, the high seas or elsewhere. And we are prepared to use any means, and I do mean any means, to protect our interests.”

“We fully understand Ambassador Koh. And again, let me assure you that I will bring your proposal before Comrade Khrushchev before the day is over,” responded Gromyko.

After several minutes of polite goodbyes Ambassador Koh was escorted out of Gromyko’s office. All the while Admiral Seratov had an irritating sneer on his face.

Barely a few minutes later, after the ambassador was gone Gromyko turned to Admiral Seratov. His face grew red with anger, and he yelled as he never remembered himself yelling before, “YOU COMPLETE AND TOTAL IMBECILLE!”

Taken aback by the explosion of the Foreign Minister, Admiral Seratov started to speak but was quickly silenced by Gromyko.

“You were here to provide a sign that the Soviet military takes this matter seriously. Which in turn was meant to try to pressure the Americans to reconsider their actions. Instead, you have chosen to throw kerosene on the fire!” Gromyko’s voice had only dropped fractionally.

Once again, Seratov opened his mouth to speak but Gromyko silenced him. “And what pray tell do you know that the rest of the Politburo do not? The report that I have seen indicates Oswald was a man with delusions of his own self-importance. He briefly defected to us then returned to the U.S. He never was an agent as you say.”

Admiral Seratov finally found his voice. “Comrade Foreign Minister, I had heard rumors…”

He was interrupted by Gromyko. “Rumors? I don’t know where those rumors come from, but they are wrong. And your outburst may have cost us the chance to end this little spat between us and the Americans in a favorable manner!”

“Go!” Exclaimed Gromyko. “And be thankful I do not report you to your superiors for this breach.”

Seratov opened his mouth to speak, thought better of it for once, saluted then left the office.

After Seratov was gone Gromyko put his head in his hands and tried to message away his headache. How am I going to explain this to Khrushchev? More importantly will the Americans believe what Seratov said. If they do then as the Americans say, ‘all hell is out for noon.”

Chapter Thirty: Reactions and a Letter (part 3)
  • Geon

Donor
    (Later at the Kremlin)

Two hours later Andrei Gromyko was reporting what had happened at his meeting with Ambassador Kohler. Surprisingly, the General Secretary did not explode in anger after the report. But he did pull out a bottle of vodka and pour a stiff drink for himself and Gromyko.

“So, how much damage do you think this Seratov has done Comrade Gromyko,” Khrushchev asked?

“Comrade General Secretary, it is possible that Ambassador Kohler will simply dismiss the words of Admiral Seratov as those of a drunkard,” replied Gromyko. “However, given the present situation we cannot dismiss the possibility that the Americans might believe that Seratov was telling some form of the truth. If they think that…” Gromyko didn’t finish the statement. They both knew that if the Americans thought the Soviet Union was responsible for the deaths of both Kennedy and Johnson it would mean war. And Khrushchev knew it was a war the U.S.S.R. could not win.

“I cannot believe they sent Seratov of all people over for the meeting,” remarked Gromyko. “His drunkenness is well-known. Could the Defense Minister be trying to ensure any negotiations between us and the West fail before they have even begun.” It was a suspicion Gromyko had been considering since the incident.

“It is possible, but unlikely,” the General Secretary replied. “They know that we don’t have the means to stop the blockade. And they also remember how close we came to a full war breaking out in October of ’62. No. I cannot believe that our comrades at the Defense Ministry are that crazy.”

After a moment, Khrushchev spoke again. “I will contact the Defense Minister immediately. I will tell him to conduct a full investigation of this. Find out who chose Seratov to represent us at the meeting. Whoever it was I will have him sacked before the day is over.”

“As to Admiral Seratov, he will compose a letter to be sent to the American Ambassador. In the letter he will apologize for his behavior as unbecoming of a Soviet naval officer. He will admit that he was simply repeating hearsay regarding the deaths of Kennedy and Johnson. And he will apologize for speaking out of turn and making unsubstantiated threats that are not supported by this government.”

“After he has done this, I think Comrade Seratov needs to be sent away, far away from Moscow. I will ask that he be reassigned to a nice safe post on the Kamchatka Peninsula, well away from anyplace his big mouth could cause more trouble.

Khrushchev leaned forward, “Also Comrade Gromyko, you will go to the U.S. Embassy and personally offer your apologies to Ambassador Kohler for the ‘drunken outbursts’ of Admiral Seratov, making it clear that anything he said does not represent official Soviet policy here. Nor is there any truth to the rumors that Seratov circulated in his drunken spiel.”

“As to how we will handle this naval quarantine by the Americans. We already are calling a meeting of the U.N. Security Council, but I do not see that going in our favor. I think we will need to send a squadron of our Pacific submarine fleet south to ‘observe’ this blockade in action. When you meet with the Ambassador you will tell him we are sending our submarines to monitor American naval activity in the blockade zone to ensure any ‘legitimate’ trade is not interfered with,” concluded the General Secretary.

Andrei Gromyko understood. If the Soviet Union backed down completely the damage to them internationally would be enormous. Therefore, there had to be at least a token saber-rattling to preserve some semblance of their resolve on the world stage.

“Even so, Comrade Chairman, that still leaves the question, what do we do now regarding Vietnam,” asked Gromyko.

“Let us see what the reaction of Washington is to Seratov’s blathering and your apology and warning. Perhaps we may yet salvage something from this catastrophe. If things look like they may escalate, and unfortunately given Seratov’s outburst that is a very real possibility, then we will have to consider concessions, perhaps even accepting Washington’s offer.”

Last edited:
    Chapter Thirty: Reactions and a Letter (Part 4)
  • Geon

Donor
    It was 6 p.m. in Moscow, and in the Kremlin General Secretary Khrushchev was reviewing plans for sending a naval task force to observe the American blockade of North Vietnam with Defense Minister, Rodion Malinovsky. The Defense Minister was inwardly relieved that the General Secretary had not mentioned the blunder by Admiral Seratov. However, he had no doubts the matter would be raised before the meeting was over.

As Malinovsky was reviewing the forces available to send to the Cam Rahn Bay area Foreign Minister Gromyko suddenly entered the room clearly upset.

Seeing the look on Gromyko’s face Khrushchev, said, “And what has happened now Comrade Foreign Minister?”

“Comrade General Secretary, after our meeting earlier today I returned to my office and summoned Seratov. I told him personally what was expected of him. He has agreed to write the letter we discussed. And I have given orders that he is to be confined to quarters for 24 hours, long enough for the man to sober up and write the letter without any drunken additions.”

“I then contacted the American Embassy to speak with Ambassador Kohler. After I informed the ambassador of Admiral Seratov’s deep remorse at speaking out of turn I then informed him that a letter of apology will be forthcoming.”

“Ambassador Kohl asked when the letter would be arriving. And I told him tomorrow evening at the very latest. The ambassador replied that was well because he was preparing to return to Washington in three days and wanted to let me know he would be leaving for a period of two weeks. He said it was necessary he consult with his government on the substance of our talks earlier.”

Khrushchev considered a moment and then said, “Make sure Seratov’s letter gets into Ambassador Kohl’s hands before he leaves. If necessary, have someone sober compose the letter and just put Seratov’s signature on it, but get that letter to Kohl before he leaves.”

“Yes, comrade General Secretary,” said Gromyko, “I will see to it personally.”

Khrushchev turned to Defense Minister Malinovsky, “And what were your staff thinking when they assigned Admiral Seratov of all people to this task, comrade Defense Minister? Was someone trying to start a war with the Americans by sending that fool to spout his nonsense?”

Before Malinovsky could say anything Khrushchev continued clear anger in his voice, “Or maybe it was to further provoke this crisis to make the current leadership look like fools? I know that you and others would love to see someone else sitting here other then me comrade Defense Minister, especially after we backed down to the Americans in the Cuban crisis over a year ago. But the actions of Admiral Seratov could potentially push this present crisis in Southeast Asia to the boiling point. Explain how this idiot was assigned to work with Gromyko!”

Rodion Malinovsky took a deep breath then said, “Comrade General Secretary, I was not aware of Seratov being chosen until after the fact. My chief secretary was the one who assigned him. Why he did so I do not know.”

That was a lie. Malinovsky did know. Three years ago, while his secretary had been serving time in the military, the navy to be precise, the young man had gotten himself drunk while on duty. That would have been enough to at the very least have the man be dishonorably discharged, possibly even imprisoned in a gulag. But one of his superiors, Admiral Seratov had ensured the report of the young man’s actions stayed buried. Of course, the young man had been suitably grateful enough to promise to do a favor for Seratov. Seratov’s career had since then been on a downward slide because of his alcoholism, and the Admiral had asked Malinovsky’s secretary to try and help him improve his standing in some way. When Gromyko had called asking for a representative of the armed forces, the young man had thought this was a good opportunity to pay back his debt.

“As of right now comrade Defense Minister, your secretary is dismissed. We will find him a nice quiet office where he can continue to work for the Motherland without causing further calamities.”

The Defense Minister sighed, “Yes, comrade General Secretary, I will see to it at once.”

Looking back at Gromyko the General Secretary said, “Now we have to hope that the Americans will prefer to believe the apologetic letter of a remorseful drunk rather than the drunken outbursts from the same man. Which one will they believe I wonder?”

Last edited:
    Chapter Thirty-Two: Blood on the Gas Station Floor
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Thirty-Two – Blood on the Gas Station Floor

Outskirts of Meridian, Georgia, January 25th, 1964; 6:13 a.m. EST:

At approximately ten minutes after six a Buick pulled into a Sunoco service station on the outskirts of Meridian, Georgia.

After several minutes of waiting for the attendant to come out the irritated driver opened his car door and started to shout hoping to draw the attention of the attendant. That’s when he noticed that the door to the office of the station was open. Approaching the door, the man suddenly stopped. Within the small office area three bodies lay in pools of now dried blood. All three bodies were bound hand and foot, and each had clearly been shot in the back of the head.

Horrified the man rushed to the pay phone near the office and called the police. Five minutes later a police car arrived. The two officers who were first in the scene entered the office and did a complete search of the station for any other victims. They found none, but they did find an envelope lying next to one of the bodies. In the envelope was a typewritten note that read.

THESE THREE MEMBERS OF THE KKK HAVE BEEN EXECUTED FOR THEIR CRIMES AGAINST THE BLACK MAN.

TAKE NOTE, A NEW DAY IS HERE.

YOU WILL BE HEARING FROM US AGAIN SOON!

A NEW DAY IS HERE FOR THE BLACK MAN!

THE BFA – THE BLACK FREEDOM ARMY

The worst fears of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy were about to become reality.

Chapter Thirty-Two: Blood on the Gas Station Floor (Part 2)
  • Geon

Donor
    By the end of the day the Meridian Police Department had put together a fairly accurate picture of what had happened at the Sunoco station.

The gas station closed at 10 p.m. However, it was known that the station owner would usually be there for another hour doing paperwork and tallying the days’ receipts. Once a week some of the owner’s friends would drop by and the men would stay and talk until about midnight before going home.

Sometime after 10 p.m. the previous night the killers had drove into the station. They had apparently surprised the owner and his two friends before they could draw their own weapons – each man usually carried a pistol or handgun for personal protection – and after having them place their guns on the desk in the office had bound all of them with rope on the floor. Then they had methodically shot each man in the head once.

After the three men were shot the killers – it was clear there was more than one – had pushed the cars both the owner’s friends left parked in front to the back where they wouldn’t arouse suspicion. They had then left.

It was also established as fact that all three victims were indeed members of the local chapter of the KKK.

Whoever the killers were, they had clearly done their homework. This wasn’t some robbery attempt gone wrong. All the money was still in the cash register in the office. And none of the victims had been robbed of their wallets. It was clear the killers’ motive was not money.

By the end of the day the news of the massacre would be reported throughout the state and by the next day it would be on the national news. In the Meridian area and its surrounding communities gas station owners and attendants started carrying guns and pistols on their person in plain view and refused service to those individuals who they deemed ‘suspicious’ often drawing their weapons to prove they meant business.

The BFA had wanted to create an atmosphere of fear in Meridian, Georgia and across the state. In this they had succeeded.

Last edited:
    Chapter Thirty-Three: An Answer in Blood
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Thirty-Three: An Answer in Blood:​

January 27, 1964; In separate areas across Georgia, approx. 4 p.m. EDT.

At approximately 4 p.m. at three select areas across the state of Georgia a small fleet of cars turned into church parking lots and other areas where black voter registration was occurring.

A group of men all armed with shotguns or rifles, numbering between 6 and 10 got out and rushed into the buildings where the registration was occurring. They quickly demanded loudly that those responsible for running “this commie conspiracy” as they would call it show themselves. Anyone trying to reason with them was quickly beaten in front of the others at gunpoint. Finally, they ended up taking out the person who seemed the most in charge. They quickly drove away before the shocked onlookers could do much more than gape at what happened.

Frantic calls by loved ones to the local sheriffs and police departments were in one of the incidents near Plains ignored completely. In other instances a deputy or police officer was sent to take down information and at least an attempt was made to find out what was happening.

Twenty-four hours later the police forces at all three areas received a phone call informing them they could come pick up the “commie bastards.” The caller detailed where they could find then.

The three kidnap victims would be found in fields. They had been beaten and shot in some cases multiple times.

The BFA had sent its message now the KKK was sending theirs.

Chapter Thirty-Four: Washington Reactions
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Thirty-Four: Washington Reactions

January 28, 1964; Washington D.C.; Office of the Attorney General, 10:15 a.m. EDT:

J. Edgar Hoover was escorted into Bobby Kennedy’s office just as Bobby was winding up a call with Governor Carl Sanders of Georgia. Seeing him enter Bobby quickly gestured to one of the chairs.

He continued his statement to Governor Sanders even as Hoover sat down. “I appreciate your cooperation in this matter governor. And I promise you that we will do our best to apprehend the guilty parties both in the Klan and this BFA as quickly as possible.”

“Thank you Mr. Attorney General,” the voice of Governor Carl Sanders sounded from the speaker beside the phone. “The last thing any of us want is for this state to become a private battleground between those two groups. And to repeat myself, my people have been told to offer your people and the F.B.I. every possible assistance. If you find anyone of them is not cooperating as they should let me know, I will deal with them appropriately.”

“Again, thank you Governor. We do appreciate your willingness to ensure this investigation is successful.”

After a brief few minutes of pleasantries the call was concluded. Then Bobby Kennedy just shook his head.

“Governor Sanders is as concerned as we are regarding this situation. He is, rightly I believe, afraid that this could escalate into major confrontation by blacks and whites throughout Georgia. The sooner we can put this fire out the better,” said Kennedy somberly.

“Mr. Attorney General, this is what we were afraid was going to happen,” Hoover said quietly. “With Wallace in the running for president, the Civil Rights Act tabled until after the elections, and King stepping up his voter registration campaign we’ve got a more explosive situation developing in the South then there has been for years. And now it appears this BFA whoever they are, have decided to put fuel on the fire.”

“What do your people know so far Edgar?” Kennedy asked the question then looked down at the Washington Post article with the title; Has a Race War Begun in the South?

For Hoover it was strange to be on an almost first name basis with one of the Kennedys of all people. With the brewing crisis in the South the two had found themselves working more closely than ever together. And over the past month Hoover had developed a greater and greater respect for the man. He worked hard and had a sense of integrity that was becoming more and more rare in Washington these days.

Hoover responded, “Clearly the BFA did their homework prior to the massacre. They found out these men were Klansmen, they got to know their schedule, and they picked the perfect time to strike when no one else was around. I think we’re dealing with either ex-military or ex-police officers.”

“Do you think we’re dealing with more than one man then,” Kennedy asked?

“Yes sir. I don’t think I single person could have done so efficiently what these people did. This was an execution Mr. Kennedy pure and simple.”

“And of course, the KKK retaliated. Kill three of ours and we’ll kill three of yours,” said Kennedy. After a moment he said, “Edgar, I want you to go down to Atlanta and head this investigation personally, this takes priority even over the Dallas, Montgomery, and Selma investigations. We need to stop this before it gathers more steam.”

Kennedy continued, “If this continues, we are going to have a full-blown race war, riots, revenge killings, lynchings, and more. We’ll have to send federal troops in to maintain order. Southerners have long memories, and this will look too much like Reconstruction for their liking. You remember what Lincoln said about a ‘house divided.”

“Yes sir, I do,” replied Hoover. “And I give you my word I will get to the bottom of who is responsible for both of these crimes, or I will know the reason why.”

Chapter Thirty-Five: Should I Stay or Should I Go?
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Thirty-Five: Should He Stay, or Should He Go?

Same day, Ebenezer Baptist Church, Atlanta Georgia; 6:15 p.m.:

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was meeting with several of his fellow leaders in the SCLC. And right now, he wasn’t happy with what ‘he was hearing.

“No.” Dr. King said flatly. “I am not going to run.” One of those at the meeting had suggested that he and his family take a vacation up north or out west for a month or two until this ‘latest unpleasantness’ blew over.

“Martin, we’re not asking you to run,” the member in question replied. “But we just feel it would be best if you were out of the picture for a while to let things simmer down. The way things are going you and your family are going to have a larger target then ever painted on all of you.”

“I’ve always known there was danger in what we’re doing,” King said thoughtfully. “And I’ve accepted the fact that I might lose my life because of the work I am called to. But if I leave now, it will look like I am running. How will that sit with those who have endured the police Billy clubs, the dogs, the beatings, the lynchings?”

King continued. “We need to stand firm here gentlemen. We cannot be seen to be acting out of fear. The opposition can sense fear and will exploit it. No. I will not give them a weapon they can use to intimidate us into silence.”

“As for my family…Coretta, bless her, fully understood what we were getting into when I started this fight. She’s willing to stand behind me no matter what I decide. And my children…if I decide to take this ‘leave of absence’ what message am I leaving them, what legacy? They deserve to grow up n a nation where we’re all treated equally in the sight of God. I won’t abandon that vision,” Dr. King concluded.

The others simply shook their heads. The leadership had half-expected this answer. Jesse Jackson spoke up. “All right Martin, but at least allow us to take Coretta and the children to another location where they might be safe.”

Martin took a moment to think about Jesse’s offer. Yes, Coretta was as committed as him to this cause, but did that mean she and the children needed to be ‘in the line of fire?’

“Let me think about that, have a talk with Coretta, see what she says, and I will give you my answer in a day or so,” Martin responded.

At that point a young man came into the office led by one of King’s bodyguards. “Martin this gentleman has a telegram for you,” the bodyguard said. After signing for the telegram and having the young man escorted out Martin opened the telegram and read it.

“IMPERATIVE WE MEET. IS OUR PREVIOUS MEETING PLACE STILL ACCEPTABLE? NAME THE TIME.

G.W.

Last edited:
    Chapter Thirty-Six (Part One): In Atlanta and Near Macon
  • Geon

Donor
    Chapter Thirty-Six: In Atlanta and Near Macon​

January 29th, 1964; 10:17 a.m. EST; Atlanta, GA, Local office of the F.B.I.:

J. Edgar Hoover called for an immediate meeting of all the local F.B.I. agents in Atlanta as soon as he touched down. And every one of them was in the conference room waiting for him when he arrived.

Hoover started the meeting. “Gentlemen, I don’t need to rehearse for you that this state is on the knife-edge of exploding. This BFA has turned up the heat at the worst possible time. Between the tabling of the Civil Rights Act, Dr. King’s push to increase the number of registered Black voters, and the recent riot in Selma the South is already at a boiling point. Add the KKK into this hell’s brew and the kidnapping and murder of those three registration workers a few days ago and we’re talking an explosion in the making. We need to head that off now.”

“I am assigning half of you to find this BFA and shut them down. Check with every operative you have that might have heard some angry Black person who said anything about shooting Whites. Also, check with the local Black Islamic organizations. See if they have heard or know of anything regarding this. Any questions thus far?"

One agent said, “Just a comment Director Hoover, everyone here thinks whoever this is they probably aren’t a big operation, yet. But they are professionals. They selected the time and place when those three men would be vulnerable, and they knew they were Klan members. That speaks both of planning and reconnaissance.

“I was hoping someone here would notice that. Yes, our thought is that whoever is responsible for this may be former military of some type,” said Hoover. I want you to check for any Black veterans who have been in trouble with the law in a violent way recently.”

“At the same time, we are going to go after the Klan,” Hoover announced. “We need to show that we are treating this situation fairly and equally. I want you,” here he gestured to the other half of the agents in the room, “to press your sources in the Klan. Find out who was responsible for the kidnappings and murders.”

Hoover said, “Again any other questions or discussions?”

One of the agents just assigned to the Klan investigation said, “Mr. Hoover how do we handle less than cooperative police and county sheriffs? You know the difficulties we have working here. Many of them are either Klan sympathizers or Klan members themselves.”

Hoover said, “Squeeze your sources and I mean squeeze them for every bit of information you can get. Anyone who refuses to cooperate make it clear they will be considered an accessory to the crime if another murder or incident occurs in their area that they were clearly aware of. I’ve brought a half dozen agents who will be acting as undercover agents to try to get into various areas of the Georgia Klan. Hopefully we will have a heads-up if anything is tried either in revenge or otherwise. But I want the Georgia KKK neutralized, is that clear?”

The agents nodded and slowly filed out of the conference room.

J. Edgar Hoover hoped they would be able to make headway before the next incidents but feared there would be more before any progress was made.

Last edited:
    Chapter Thirty-Six (Part Two): In Atlanta and Near Macon
  • Geon

Donor
    A Motel just outside of Macon, Georgia about the same time.

In a shaded room, a man known as John Mason X looked at the headlines of a Macon newspaper from two days ago on the slaying of the three voter registration workers.

To John the deaths of the three registration workers was indeed tragic. But it would generate anger. And anger was what was needed now. Anger would be the fuel that would allow the Black man to finally gain the rights he deserved.

From John Mason X’s perspective freedom was something that wasn’t handed to you, it had to be fought for. And if the Black man wanted that freedom, he could not wait for the White man to simply hand it to him. It must be fought for.

John Mason X had been a veteran in the Korean War. A lieutenant, he had proudly served in a recently integrated U.S. Army. He had served with distinction. Then returned to his native Georgia to discover that all he had done in Korea didn’t amount to a hill of beans. He could not find a job save the most menial. He was still treated as a secondhand citizen. When he tried to vote he faced a so-called ‘literacy test’ to see if he was competent. Fortunately, he had answered the question well enough that he could not be denied registration for that election. But that didn’t mean he would be allowed in the next election.

The system was wrong through and through and it needed changing. John Mason X still considered himself a patriot. But he believed that only when the White man realized the Black man meant business would the Black man finally receive his God-given rights.

For a while he had followed the message of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. But more and more Dr. King’s message seemed more to be begging the White man for a favor rather than confronting him for refusing to grant to Black people what was theirs according to the Constitution.

So, John had decided that if change was to occur it must be by force. In imitation of one of his heroes, Malcolm X, John had dropped his middle name and added an X indicating he would not identify with the “slave name” given to his family so long ago (Smith).

He had then formed the BFA (the Black Freedom Army) which at present consisted of six members. All of them were Korean veterans. All of them were well trained in combat and all of them were loyal to one another.

The strike in Meridian four days ago had been their first major operation. And it had gone well. A message had been sent.

Now, four days later, the team was gathered in Macon, Georgia. Some of his people were even now gathering intelligence on their next target. The Grand Wizard of the Macon chapter of the KKK.

They would not move precipitously. But methodically. They would observe the man’s habits. And when they knew the patterns of his life, they would use them to destroy him. Another message would be sent. Your leadership isn’t safe from us either. We will reach you wherever you are.

John put down the paper and reached for the phone. He needed to set up an observation schedule for their next victim. It might be two or three weeks before they knew enough to plan a strike, but the Grand Wizard of Macon would not live to see the end of February.

Last edited:
    Chapter Thirty-Six: In Atlanta and Near Macon (Part III)
  • Geon

Donor
    Washington, D.C. 3:30 p.m. EST; Office of the Attorney General:

Edwin Guthman came in bearing six folders.

“Here are the preliminary results of the doctors and psychiatrists appointed to examine Oswald,” he declared.

After much wrangling between the two sides prosecution and defense had agreed to each independently hire their own physician and since the question of Oswald’s mental state would be even more important, each had hired two licensed psychiatrists to examine him.

Kennedy received the folders and then asked, “In a nutshell what are the results?”

“On the positive side? Oswald is physically fit as a fiddle and totally able to stand trial. One the negative side? Two of the psychiatrists, one working for Bailey, and the other for Bush say that Oswald is insane. The other of the two working for us says he’s as sane as you and me. And the third working for the Defense says results of the tests are inconclusive.” Guthman finished the statement and just shook his head.

Kennedy took a few minutes to look at the reports by each psychiatrist. Then closed the folders and after taking a deep breath said, “I was afraid we might have to deal with something like this from the start. If Bailey can convince the judge to accept the doctors’ preliminary reports, there’s every possibility that Oswald could be declared “Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity. If that happens, he could well end up spending a few years in a mental institution and then be released once some doctor declares him “cured.”

Kennedy was silent for a moment then said. “My brother’s killer could be out on the streets in a matter of 10 years, maybe less. That is unacceptable,” Bobby said with finality.

“Bailey hasn’t filed any pleas or motions on the basis of the doctors’ reports, yet” said Guthman. “I think he realizes just how uncertain it might be that a judge would agree with him. It all comes down to who will be chosen as the judge for the trial.”

“And we need to tread carefully there,” said Kennedy. “I’ve said this before Edwin, we need to keep this trial as free of any bias as we can. I don’t want some legal eagle a few years down the road discovering a minor discrepancy in how we handled this and that being used to overturn Oswald’s conviction. So, no trying to “fix” the judge here. We need to let the process work as it would for anyone else.”

“It’s risky. We might get a judge who is Republican and wasn’t a big fan of your brother. If that happens Oswald goes to a mental hospital and we end up looking like fools,” responded Guthman.

After a moment Kennedy said, “I think we need to at least consider that an insanity plea might be in the cards. If it is, we need to ensure that Oswald goes into a mental institution and stays there. We make it clear that he is dangerously psychotic, and we have him locked away in a hospital that deals with the criminally insane. Oswald ends up staying there for the rest of his life hopefully under sedation and constant monitoring.”

“Like I told you earlier Bobby that will depend on the judge we get. If we get some bleeding-heart liberal ironically that judge could just sentence Oswald to a nice hospital “resort” where he’ll spend a pleasant 5 or 10 years and then be out. A tougher judge might give us the sentence you’re asking for. But at this point we have no guarantees,” Guthman said frowning.

After several minutes Kennedy said, “Edwin, I want you to talk with each of the psychiatrists, then I want you to move for another battery of psychiatric tests with a whole new team. We need to somehow get this insanity business behind us and soon. Or, if we can’t we need to ensure that when Oswald goes into a mental institution he will never be coming out.”