Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

Mark1878

Donor
When the cops get convicted, there will be incredible pressure for the president top pardon them, commute sentences, and more. I wouldn't be surprised of some groups threaten to shut down policing in a large parts of the country if the president doesn't cave to their blackmail.
If he doesn't, some cops will probably try to primary him next election, and possibly refuse to assist the Secret Service when the President is traveling.
Which will make for some interesting elects for Police Chief from those who agree with the Secret Service etc.

This could mean general cold war violence being fought at the same time as a race war boils up in the south. It's looking less like the troubles and more like a calmer version of modern Syria

When the cops get convicted, there will be incredible pressure for the president top pardon them, commute sentences, and more. I wouldn't be surprised of some groups threaten to shut down policing in a large parts of the country if the president doesn't cave to their blackmail.
If he doesn't, some cops will probably try to primary him next election, and possibly refuse to assist the Secret Service when the President is traveling.
IIRC, the current PotUS in this timeline is planning on not running, so threatening to primary him is an empty threat. Frankly, pardoning the Five if they were found guilty (or deciding to not try them at this point) would be a political disaster for the party of whichever president did it, worse than the also-quite-terrible disaster of the police in some areas actually going through with said threats (which would also be a political disaster for the police unions, which is why I think that at least some of them are bluffing). Might result in martial law being declared in the affected areas, which is another kettle of worms.

Chapter Thirty Nine: Surprise!

Geon

Donor
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Surprise!​

February 3, 1964, The Evening News with Walter Cronkite, 6:30 p.m.:

TRANSCRIPT

Walter Cronkite:

“Good evening, tonight another twist in the so-called “Dallas Incident” which occurred following the assassination of President Kennedy. In an exclusive interview with reporter Dan Rather, a local Dallas night club owner has come forward claiming he saw at least two of the Secret Service detail for President Kennedy and Vice-President Johnson at a local bar the night before the assassination of President Kennedy and the shooting of President Johnson.”

[Cut to Dan Rather]

Dan Rather:

“I am speaking with local night club owner Jack Ruby. Who claims to have seen two of the agents on President Kennedy’s secret service detail at a local bar the night before the assassination. The bar simply known as The Cellars is well known in the Dallas area for hosting out-of-town visitors including actor Lee Marvin. Mr. Ruby, you claim you were at The Cellars the night of November 21st?”

Jack Ruby:

“Yes sir. I happened to be visiting the bar because business was slow at my own club. And I had decided to visit other bars to find ways to improve my own establishment. While I was enjoying a drink at the bar, I noticed two men at the bar wearing suit and ties. That isn’t unusual given the Cellars hosts a mixed clientele. However, they were talking about the job they had tomorrow with a young lady. They told her they were Secret Service men assigned to protect President Kennedy. At first, I thought they were simply shooting their mouth off and trying to impress the young lady. But the way they talked I began to wonder I they weren’t telling the truth. When the young lady walked away to talk with another person, I asked the two gentlemen if they really were Secret Service agents, and one of them showed me their badge. I ordered drinks for them and myself and we talked for about half hour before I excused myself and left.”

Dan Rather:

“Mr. Ruby, it’s been over two months since the Dallas Incident. If I may ask why are you coming forward now?”

Jack Ruby:

“I…after seeing all those pictures of President Kennedy’s widow, Jackie, and of Vice-President – excuse me – President Johnson’s widow Lady Byrd, my conscience really started bothering me. For a while I was quiet because I was honestly afraid if I said anything the Secret Service would close my nightclub. But I felt I had to say something for the sake of Jackie and Lady Byrd.

Dan Rather:

As of right now the Secret Service has not commented on this latest revelation by Mr. Ruby. Likewise, the District Attorney for Dallas County has been quiet except to say this new information will be evaluated. In any case this is yet another twist in this increasingly complex story. Walter back to you.

Oh oh i don't like this
i expected him with gun but not that
The info He presented here is explosive

and Ruby is proverbial not trow burning match in to Napalm,
he doing arson in Ammonium-nitrate storage site...

So from the sounds of things this was a genuine, and very bad screw up. It's just one of those situations where it's very easy for scenarios to get made up about it.

Chapter Thirty-Nine Surprise! Part 2

Geon

Donor
February 4, 1964, 8:00 A.M. EST; Washington, D.C., The Department of Justice, Attorney General’s Office:

The next morning a very nervous James Rowley found himself summoned to Attorney General Robert Kennedy’s office. Rowley knew why he was summoned, and he also knew this was probably the end of his career.

As he opened the door into Robert Kennedy’s office the Attorney General fastened a very sharp glare on Rowley and said simply, “Well?”

Rowley spoke as carefully as possible.

“Mr. Attorney General, first please allow me to tell you what I know. I didn’t become aware of what happened until, like you, I saw it on the new last night. Evidently the agents involved never “ratted” each other out. Not even during the debriefing the very thorough debriefing they all had when they returned to Washington. Believe me sir, I am just as anxious as you to learn the truth behind this.”

Kennedy was clearly struggling to control his temper. After a minute he said, “Mr. Cowley, you are telling me that none of these agents ever said anything to anyone about their visit to this bar, The Cellars, the night before the assassination of my brother and the murder of the vice-president?”

“Yes sir, I know that it may be hard for you to believe. But I swear to you that I did not know this until that interview last night,” Rowley said now visibly sweating.

Kennedy sighed and then said, “James, you know how this is going to raise even more questions among the public and elsewhere regarding what happened in Dallas? We are going to have conspiracy theories coming out our ass at a time we can’t afford them. We need to get on this and get on this right now. I want you to interview both agents that were at the bar that night. Find out everything they talked about. Then I want them arrested for dereliction of duty and possibly divulging sensitive information, am I clear.”

“Yes sir,” replied Rowley. After a moment he handed a piece of paper to the Attorney General. “Sir, when this is over, I want to tender my official resignation to you. I should have seen all of this and acted on it earlier. I take full responsibility for it, all I ask is that you let me get to the bottom of it and try to make things right here before I resign.”

Kennedy looked the typewritten sheet over and handed it back to James Rowley. “No,” he said after a moment. I won’t accept this. At least not now. I need you to help me try to control the damage this new barrel of gunpowder has given us. I may accept it later once – if things calm down. Right now, I need you to find out what happened that night, and fast James. Things are starting to move a lot faster than I would like.
----------
Note from author: Things get hectic where I work this time of year so updates may be fewer and shorter for now but please comment and enjoy this little bit.

Note from author: Things get hectic where I work this time of year so updates may be fewer and shorter for now but please comment and enjoy this little bit.
Don't sweat it. Take all the time you need. We will all be patiently awaiting the next installment of the timeline for whenever you have it ready on your own time.

Take all the time youi need. I LOVE this timeline. (Still hoping to see the Dallas PD, and everyone who supported their plan for a complete work stoppage if charges weren't dropped, go down HARD.)

Real life comes first (and you're certainly going faster than I am). Do what you need to, we'll wait.

Humpf! I want my money back!

(Seriously, this is a great timeline, and RL always takes priority...)

Geon

Donor
Thank you all for your patience. Some of you who have followed my work know that one of my favorite things is the circus and when the mood hits me, I can sneak it in here and there. I know it is a touch of whimsy but would any of you have any objections if I let this whimsy play out within me in one of my posts on this thread sometime in the future? If when I post it, you think it is too ASB I will take it down.

By the way, as a reward for your patience I will try and have a small snippet available later today.

Thank you all for your patience. Some of you who have followed my work know that one of my favorite things is the circus and when the mood hits me, I can sneak it in here and there. I know it is a touch of whimsy but would any of you have any objections if I let this whimsy play out within me in one of my posts on this thread sometime in the future? If when I post it, you think it is too ASB I will take it down.

By the way, as a reward for your patience I will try and have a small snippet available later today.
Pick a song:
Circus music