Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

Chapter Thirty-Nine, Surprise Part 3

Geon

Donor
And as I promised, here is a brief snippet for your review and enjoyment. One thing be aware I am not an expert on legal matters so if anyone reading this is please any advice will be appreciated.

The Attorney General’s Office; 3:00 p.m. EST:

Later in the day the door to Robert Kennedy’s office opened slightly and a stick with a hat was cautiously thrust in. Kennedy chuckled and said, “Come in Edwin,” As his aide Edwin Guthman entered, he said, “I wanted to be sure I wouldn’t be the target of any blunt objects thrown my direction, given how angry I heard you were this morning.”

“Sit down,” Kennedy gestured to one of the chairs.

“I’m still mad as hell, but at least there’s a bright side here. The agents at the Cellars the night before the assassination were not up front during the shooting incident on Air Force One. However, that doesn’t mean they are off the hook. They will be standing trial with the other agents.”

“So, what have you got for me now?” Asked Kennedy.

“The Defense in the DPD case has filed a countermotion to the Dallas Attorney General’s motion that the trial be moved out of Dallas. They contend the purpose of our moving the trial is so that we can choose a biased jury.”

“Like a jury in Dallas won’t be biased on the side of the defense?” Kennedy said sighing.

After a moment he said, “Edwin, let the Dallas AG office know, I want those trials to start soon. If that means, we must go with Dallas as the trial location so be it. I’ll risk a potentially biased jury. I would rather have that then have both sides drag this out. The sooner we can get these trials taken care of the better it will be for all involved.”

Edwin nodded, then Kennedy asked, “Anything new on Daniel Bradley?”

“Yes sir, there is,” said Edwin. “Mr. Hoover called me earlier to say they got a substantial lead that Mr. Bradley may have been seen at a Howard Johnson’s in Cincinnati, Ohio two days ago. Apparently, his fondness for that particular restaurant may be helpful in tracking him down.”

“I hope so Edwin,” Kennedy replied. He is the key to figuring out what really happened on Air Force One. He can provide answers we and the country need.”

It almost seems like a simple screw up that got out of hand because of everyone being too afraid to take responsibility for themselves. This could have all been much smoother if those involved just cooperated.

Chapter Forty: The Spark and the Explosion

Geon

Donor
I happen to have some free time so here is the first part of chapter 40. Note, the names and locations here are fictitious except for George Wallace of course.

Chapter 40: The Spark and the Explosion​

Outside McIntyre Motors in Macon, Georgia; February 7, 1964; 8:00 p.m. EST:

Charles Robert McIntyre, the proprietor of McIntyre Motors was in a hurry. He had to close up shop and get ready for a meeting tonight.

Charles McIntyre was the Grand Wizard of the local chapter of the KKK. They would be meeting tonight in a field across from the Baptist church he was a member of. Tonight, they would be hearing from a speaker from Alabama who was going to talk with the group about the presidential chances for George Wallace. It was clear to Charles that Wallace was the best chance they had to stop this “commie infiltration” of the government by people the likes of the Kennedys and that traitor Johnson. As far as McIntyre was concerned the s-b had gotten exactly what was coming to him back in November.

McIntyre was as usual the last one out of his business. He prided himself on being the first one to arrive in the morning and the last one to leave at night. Whatever else might be laid against him McIntyre was a hard worker and expected the same of all his employees.

McIntyre was just turning out the lights and getting ready to lock the door to his dealership when he felt something poke into his back. A voice behind him said simply, “Don’t turn around.” Moments later a man came up and snatched the keys out of the startled man’s hand. He unlocked the door to the dealership and led the way inside.

Quickly the men – there were three – led their captive to the service area where cars were repaired which was connected to the show room. When they arrived one of the men quickly bound the man’s arms behind his back and tied his legs together.

No one heard the three shots that rang out in the service area moments later. After several minutes the three gentlemen, all wearing stocking caps over their faces emerged with one of the men locking the door to the dealership. The keys would be thrown into a convenient trash can as the group drove out of town.

The body of the unfortunate McIntyre would not be found until early the next morning. His wife concerned when she was phoned and asked where her husband was by other members of his “club” had phoned the police. The police had checked the dealership and discovered the man’s car was still there. Calling an employee to open the dealership up the police had entered. They would find Charles McIntyre now deceased bound and shot three times in the head. Next to him was a note that read:

THIS GRAND WIZARD OF THE KKK HAS BEEN EXECUTED BY THE BFA.

TAKE NOTE, A NEW DAY IS HERE FOR THE BLACK MAN.

WE WILL NO LONGER COWER BEFORE A BURNING CROSS.

John Mason X and his self-styled Black Freedom Army had struck once more and once more there would be consequences for their actions. Consequences that would shock a nation.

Hoo boy. While it may feel viscerally satisfying to kill someone like a Grand Wizard, there WILL be big, bloody consequences for this at a time when the nation is still reeling from the incompetence of those in charge!

A President and Vice President Dead
Failure of Secret Service
Suspicion the two dead are part of greater conspiracy plot
The Elections for Next US President look more and more choosing between pest and cholera.
The Interim President start International Crisis about Vietnam.
The Civil Right issue become explosive violent,
And now the BFA and KKK start there little private war!

Oh Boy, how will this end in this TL ?

I'd say the best move assuming anymore action by the KKK is to label both them and the BFA criminal/terrorist organizations, and come down hard on them. anything less, and you'll get a tit for tat escalation that ends in a race riot in a major city that kills thousands.

Hard to feel sorry for a KKK member, let alone a leader, but that was a bad way to die.

Things are going to start getting much, much worse in the ITTL USA one feels.

Chapter Forty: Part II

Geon

Donor
First @pdf27 I am not aiming for a dystopia here. However anyone who has done any writing here knows that a story/TL once started can take off in some unexpected directions once the creative process starts. As I phrased it in one of my other TLs 'the ripples made go on forever.'

----------​
February 9th; Sunday evening, 7:30 p.m. EDT:

At 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 8th people throughout the United States tuned in on their favorite TV channels expecting to see either Wagon Train (ABC), The Wonderful World of Disney (NBC), or My Favorite Martian (CBS). Instead in each instance they saw the words SPECIAL REPORT followed by announcers telling them they were interrupting their standard programming.

On NBC the faces of David Brinkley and Chet Huntley came on the air. Chet Huntley looked up and said, “Good evening. Tonight, one of the worst riots in the history of the United States is under way in the city of Macon, Georgia. Following the murder of Charles McIntyre, owner of a car dealership in that city and purportedly a member of if not the leader, of the local chapter of the KKK bands of white citizens have entered and attacked black neighborhoods throughout the city. David…”

“Chet, at this point information on the situation in Macon is unreliable at best owing to the chaos there. However, this is what we know. At 10 o’clock last night bands of citizens calling themselves, the Citizens’ Action Committees for the Protection of Macon entered predominately black sections of the city and began to attack churches and other buildings where it was known the Southern Christian Leadership Conference was conducting its campaign to register black people to vote. They attacked any individuals who were in the buildings regardless of whether they were affiliated with the SCLC or not and they proceeded to set those buildings ablaze. The violence apparently then spilled over into the surrounding areas. Chet…”

“David, at this point we are getting word, unconfirmed at this time, that many of these mobs are armed with guns and are seeking out leaders in the black community. Large sections of these predominately black neighborhoods are reported to be on fire. There is also word, unconfirmed at this time of black homeowners and citizens arming themselves and fighting back against the attackers. As of this time we have no confirmation of this.”

“The rioting which started earlier today is still going on at this time. And as of this hour the Macon police force has been unable to restore order in the areas where the riots are occurring. And… (here Chet Huntley looked down as a piece of paper was handed to him), here is an update, Mayor Benjamin Franklin Merritt, Jr. earlier requested that the Georgia National Guard be called up to restore order in Macon. And Governor of Georgia, Carl Sanders has as of ten minutes ago, authorized the release of the Guard to do exactly that. David…”

“Chet, the situation in the riot zones is so dangerous reporters are not being allowed into those areas. Police have set up cordons to keep reporters and others out of the area and the mayor has declared a curfew in effect beginning at 8:00 p.m. tonight and lasting until 7:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. I repeat the mayor of Macon, Georgia has authorized a curfew to begin at 8:00 p.m. tonight and last until 7:00 a.m. Monday morning.”

“In addition, we are being told by reliable sources that the Macon fire department is unable to enter the riot zones due to heavy gunfire, from what sources we are not aware yet. Those few teams able to enter the zones are reporting that they are unable to fight the fires due to sabotaged hydrants and shots being fired at the firefighters. There are also unconfirmed reports of mobs purposely attacking and cutting hoses as they were set up by the firefighters. We will have more on this situation as we are able to get information. Finally, and this is very ominous we have been told that hospitals throughout Macon, Georgia were told as of early this morning to prepare for, and I am quoting here ‘a mass casualty event.’ As of now we do not know what the number of casualties is for this riot but according to one official at one of Macon’s hospitals who asked not to be identified the number of casualties is expected to be ‘horrific’. David…”

President McCormack is expected to make a statement within the hour, as is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Governor Sanders has declared a state of emergency for Georgia and has warned that any rioters – regardless of race – will be in his words ‘punished to the fullest extent of the law.’”

The other two networks were likewise reporting this disaster as a shocked nation listened to hear what President McCormack and Dr. King would say.

Well I called it. If the police are seen to not do enough, this likely won't be the last riot. The POTUS may need to send in the military to the south to keep this from becoming a series of Tulsa massacres.

Yikes! Ok, worst case scenario - a black NG soldier shoots a white rioter, and a white NG soldier shoots the black soldier.

ric350

Yikes! Ok, worst case scenario - a black NG soldier shoots a white rioter, and a white NG soldier shoots the black soldier.

ric350
I'd say worse than that would a be a protest getting out of hand (maybe white counterprotesters agitate them) and the NG opens fire, not Kent State style but sustained fire that kills hundreds. At this point it's starting to look clear as day to people that state governments in the south favor the white groups, and it may seem that the feds do as well if they don't respond properly. If that happens I can see Malcolm X attracting many of MLK's former supporters who feel that his nonviolent approach will just result in them "singing and praying as they walk into the gas chambers" so to speak. Basically, they'll feel it's kill or be killed, and will of course go with the former.

Hmmm, I’m thinking if the NG soldiers began “taking sides” (or even appearing to), things might unravel quickly.

ric350

First @pdf27 I am not aiming for a dystopia here. However anyone who has done any writing here knows that a story/TL once started can take off in some unexpected directions once the creative process starts. As I phrased it in one of my other TLs 'the ripples made go on forever.'

----------​

At 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 8th people throughout the United States tuned in on their favorite TV channels expecting to see either Wagon Train (ABC), The Wonderful World of Disney (NBC), or My Favorite Martian (CBS). Instead in each instance they saw the words SPECIAL REPORT followed by announcers telling them they were interrupting their standard programming.

On NBC the faces of David Brinkley and Chet Huntley came on the air. Chet Huntley looked up and said, “Good evening. Tonight, one of the worst riots in the history of the United States is under way in the city of Macon, Georgia. Following the murder of Charles McIntyre, owner of a car dealership in that city and purportedly a member of if not the leader, of the local chapter of the KKK bands of white citizens have entered and attacked black neighborhoods throughout the city. David…”

“Chet, at this point information on the situation in Macon is unreliable at best owing to the chaos there. However, this is what we know. At 10 o’clock last night bands of citizens calling themselves, the Citizens’ Action Committees for the Protection of Macon entered predominately black sections of the city and began to attack churches and other buildings where it was known the Southern Christian Leadership Conference was conducting its campaign to register black people to vote. They attacked any individuals who were in the buildings regardless of whether they were affiliated with the SCLC or not and they proceeded to set those buildings ablaze. The violence apparently then spilled over into the surrounding areas. Chet…”

“David, at this point we are getting word, unconfirmed at this time, that many of these mobs are armed with guns and are seeking out leaders in the black community. Large sections of these predominately black neighborhoods are reported to be on fire. There is also word, unconfirmed at this time of black homeowners and citizens arming themselves and fighting back against the attackers. As of this time we have no confirmation of this.”

“The rioting which started earlier today is still going on at this time. And as of this hour the Macon police force has been unable to restore order in the areas where the riots are occurring. And… (here Chet Huntley looked down as a piece of paper was handed to him), here is an update, Mayor Benjamin Franklin Merritt, Jr. earlier requested that the Georgia National Guard be called up to restore order in Macon. And Governor of Georgia, Carl Sanders has as of ten minutes ago, authorized the release of the Guard to do exactly that. David…”

“Chet, the situation in the riot zones is so dangerous reporters are not being allowed into those areas. Police have set up cordons to keep reporters and others out of the area and the mayor has declared a curfew in effect beginning at 8:00 p.m. tonight and lasting until 7:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. I repeat the mayor of Macon, Georgia has authorized a curfew to begin at 8:00 p.m. tonight and last until 7:00 a.m. Monday morning.”

“In addition, we are being told by reliable sources that the Macon fire department is unable to enter the riot zones due to heavy gunfire, from what sources we are not aware yet. Those few teams able to enter the zones are reporting that they are unable to fight the fires due to sabotaged hydrants and shots being fired at the firefighters. There are also unconfirmed reports of mobs purposely attacking and cutting hoses as they were set up by the firefighters. We will have more on this situation as we are able to get information. Finally, and this is very ominous we have been told that hospitals throughout Macon, Georgia were told as of early this morning to prepare for, and I am quoting here ‘a mass casualty event.’ As of now we do not know what the number of casualties is for this riot but according to one official at one of Macon’s hospitals who asked not to be identified the number of casualties is expected to be ‘horrific’. David…”

President McCormack is expected to make a statement within the hour, as is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Governor Sanders has declared a state of emergency for Georgia and has warned that any rioters – regardless of race – will be in his words ‘punished to the fullest extent of the law.’”

The other two networks were likewise reporting this disaster as a shocked nation listened to hear what President McCormack and Dr. King would say.

God have mercy on them… God have mercy on me.

----------​

Okay, now I think this is a breaking point, literally and metaphorically.

For starters there's no way in hell this won't get international attention. I could imagine this souring America's reputation somewhat. The Soviet Union took every advantage they had against the US, including criticism of America's racial polices. They'll use this for propaganda purposes obvious, but there's now way they will not take advantage of the chaos.

Second, there might be other groups that might get involved, maybe other groups of people such as communists, other groups that felt wronged by the US and wants to let out the frustration, violent crazies, scared people, all the sort. There might be selected assassination, kidnappings and torturing to satisfy the primal feral side of the humans self, and that drive gets exponentially worse when it comes to vengeance. I could see situations where cops detain 'suspicious subjects' and they end up dying in custody. I can see those same cops getting calls about something benign only for it to be an ambush and be slaughtered mercilessly. Maybe someone's kid died in a riot, so they lose their mind, and decided an eye for an eye, and go after their kids to prove a point. It's going to be hell, absolute hell.

The only thing that might turn it into an actual war is if King and/or Wallace gets assassinated. But that seems a significant possible possibility.

For starters there's no way in hell this won't get international attention. I could imagine this souring America's reputation somewhat. The Soviet Union took every advantage they had against the US, including criticism of America's racial polices. They'll use this for propaganda purposes obvious, but there's now way they will not take advantage of the chaos.

Second, there might be other groups that might get involved, maybe other groups of people such as communists, other groups that felt wronged by the US and wants to let out the frustration, violent crazies, scared people, all the sort. There might be selected assassination, kidnappings and torturing to satisfy the primal feral side of the humans self, and that drive gets exponentially worse when it comes to vengeance. I could see situations where cops detain 'suspicious subjects' and they end up dying in custody. I can see those same cops getting calls about something benign only for it to be an ambush and be slaughtered mercilessly. Maybe someone's kid died in a riot, so they lose their mind, and decided an eye for an eye, and go after their kids to prove a point. It's going to be hell, absolute hell.

The only thing that might turn it into an actual war is if King and/or Wallace gets assassinated. But that seems a significant possible possibility.
What I also worry about is how high up the chain outright support for this goes. We've already seen police leadership quit over this, what if it gets worse? Obviously the governors won't do anything crazy, but I could see county leaders get bad. Imagine this. A small rural county with an even smaller black population has a very racist judge. He quickly and quietly signs an order for the "removal" of the county's black population. Before anyone has time to tell him he can't do that, the townspeople round up the black residents of the county, and immediately do what they actually want to do, turning it into a mass execution. The POTUS needs to handle this NOW.

I agree that the USSR is going to have a field day in propaganda from this, in this era of the Cold War America and the Soviet Union are trying to recruit support in Africa and Asia, and one of the driving forces behind Federal support for the Civil Rights Movement was that America's segregation policies were already being used by the Soviets to blacken America's reputation, especially in Africa and Asia.

Something like this is pretty much just going to confirm what the Soviet's have already been saying, that behind the mask, America is NOT an ally that an African or Asian nation can rely on, because they are racist and just want to exploit them and their resources. Never mind that the Soviets also want to exploit them and their resources.

Oh there is going to be more back and forth, and I can see the Black community going for the creation of their own militia groups. The Black Panthers ARE coming, but ITTL they are going to be even more heavily armed and willing to fire.

This is going to be a bloodbath and it's on McCormack's hands

Oh there is going to be more back and forth, and I can see the Black community going for the creation of their own militia groups. The Black Panthers ARE coming, but ITTL they are going to be even more heavily armed and willing to fire.
If the Black Deacons weren't already a thing. They definitely are going to be now.

EDIT: Historically The Deacons for Defense and Justice were founded in November of 1964. That's definitely going to be moved up pronto.

Last edited: