Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Mark1878

Donor
That seemed to be the way things went in OTL a pinning attack then a flanking manoeuvre South into the desert, until Montgomery reversed things at El Alamein.
I thought the point of being at El Alamein was there were no flanks so no flanking manoeuves, which is why Auckinleck chose it (not Montgomery)

I thought the point of being at El Alamein was there were no flanks so no flanking manoeuves, which is why Auckinleck chose it (not Montgomery)
Yep, it was one of the only choke-points in the theatre (Halfaya Pass was was another IIRC), no room to manoeuvre, you just had to slowly grind away at the enemy until one side broke.

So after only "Left" hooks, whey not go for a "Right " hook. That would caught the Italians and Germans by surprise. A landing behind their lines would not be something that would be included in their plans or preparations.
The Brave option would be an amphibious assault on Tripoli. Churchill would wet himself in excitement at the prospect. Alan Brooke would be horrified at the risk.

Which is not the case when Montgomery was attacking which was with a feint to the south & the main attack in the north.

Mark1878

Donor
Which is not the case when Montgomery was attacking which was with a feint to the south & the main attack in the north.
yes but no FLANKING manouevre but straight forward into an enemy position (as Rommel had done in the first battle of El Alamein) so not comparable to the rest of the NA campaign

As in "eccentric" or "lunatic"?
And in this war, unnecessary. Operations of that sort are the resort of armies which are on the back foot, not the front. It would only be a slight exaggeration to suggest that all, if not most British special forces operations in WW2 were councils of desperation; the sort of thing you do when you have difficulty in harming your enemy any other way. There are some exceptions.

The Brave option would be an amphibious assault on Tripoli. Churchill would wet himself in excitement at the prospect. Alan Brooke would be horrified at the risk.
I doubt it. ships like that are too precious, and too vulnerable to aircraft or artillery to be worth risking in such a way.

And in this war, unnecessary. Operations of that sort are the resort of armies which are on the back foot, not the front. It would only be a slight exaggeration to suggest that all, if not most British special forces operations in WW2 were councils of desperation; the sort of thing you do when you have difficulty in harming your enemy any other way. There are some exceptions.
They could be potentially useful in tying down Japanese forces on the Thailand-Burma border.

It was in the vicinity of thirty miles from the Mediterranean to the north edge of the Qattara Depression, as far as I can understand from Alam Halfa maps. So large-scale 'flanking' moves were difficult, but there was space to try local stuff.

I doubt it. ships like that are too precious, and too vulnerable to aircraft or artillery to be worth risking in such a way.
To repeat myself. There's no problem the proper application of a Warspite (along with a Valiant, Barham and Queen Elizabeth) can't solve.

To repeat myself. There's no problem the proper application of a Warspite (along with a Valiant, Barham and Queen Elizabeth) can't solve.
Well prepared airfields out of effective firing range. They're not great against mines or submarines either.

Last edited:
Have to wonder how the German and Italian air forces in NA are doing right now they must be hitting the limit of their operational endurance given the lack of spares due to the convoy's not making it to them in any shape or form.

Have to wonder how the German and Italian air forces in NA are doing right now they must be hitting the limit of their operational endurance given the lack of spares due to the convoy's not making it to them in any shape or form.
They're probably low on ammunition too.