I was going to say, as described this law bakes in a hugely larger stream of East Asian immigration than IOTL prior to 1970 or so.

Chinese immigrants alone should constitute upwards of half a percent of the population by 1918.
Yeah I’d say 0.5-0.75%, somewhere around there. Total Chinese population considering second-Gen (which admittedly isn’t huge considering how overwhelmingly male and transient the Chinese population in the US was then) gets you close to 1%. Just toying around with numbers on Wikipedia you’d land around 550k total Chinese in the US as of about 1918ish, which is about 0.77% of the 1910 US pop.
And that's on top of already notable Asian populations in LATAM countries like Panama and Peru from OTL. Brazil, IIRC, also has a notable ethnically East Asian population IOTL.
Indeed. The Bamboo Network would be very well established on this side of the Pacific ITTL

Has something similar to the Indian Citizenship Act (granting Native Americans citizenship) been passed?
IIRC the ones in the US are being aggressively assimilated and the ones in OTL Oklahoma are now basically an American protectorate with their own sovereignty.

Yeah I’d say 0.5-0.75%, somewhere around there. Total Chinese population considering second-Gen (which admittedly isn’t huge considering how overwhelmingly male and transient the Chinese population in the US was then) gets you close to 1%. Just toying around with numbers on Wikipedia you’d land around 550k total Chinese in the US as of about 1918ish, which is about 0.77% of the 1910 US pop.

Indeed. The Bamboo Network would be very well established on this side of the Pacific ITTL
But *net* the USA iTTL will have a higher percentage of European Ancestry than our own simply due to having the percentage with African Ancestry cut so much, right? I *think* the Author has indicated that the first US President that isn't entirely of European ancestry is Hispanic(Sandoval?), right?

Still waiting to see what "Building a Wall" in the Appalachians between West Virginia and Virginia/Kentucky is going to look like.

Has something similar to the Indian Citizenship Act (granting Native Americans citizenship) been passed?
Not yet, and probably won't be for a while, because...
IIRC the ones in the US are being aggressively assimilated and the ones in OTL Oklahoma are now basically an American protectorate with their own sovereignty.
This is happening, and the Indian Wars were way bloodier, and deportations to Sequoyah have been fairly aggressive. So Natives absolutely have it worse ITTL.
But *net* the USA iTTL will have a higher percentage of European Ancestry than our own simply due to having the percentage with African Ancestry cut so much, right? I *think* the Author has indicated that the first US President that isn't entirely of European ancestry is Hispanic(Sandoval?), right?
Net or similar, I'd say. I've had a hard time calculating out exactly what the figure would be.

IOTL 2020, 23.5 million of 47 million total African Americans live in states that are not in TTL's CSA, prewar. This of course is a byproduct of the Great Migration of not only 1910-30 (which we're facsimiling with the post-GAW refugee crisis) but also the Second Great Migration of 1940-70, which was larger and more robust, and which we might see some kind of facsimile of later on. Bear in mind that the Black population of Northern states has been in decline since the mid-1990s, with the "New South" and Reverse Migration, etc.
Canada's Black population is about 4.2% of the population. 23.5 million Black Americans out of 320 million (the 2020 TTL US census figures, bit of a spoiler but who cares) comes out to about 7.2%. So if we adjust that 23.5 down a little to account for A) a lessened 1940-70 migration but perhaps a higher 1970-2000 migration, for instance) and B) a lower 1910-30 migration as well due to the various GAW atrocities, etc, I would feel comfortable just 1.5x Canada's "rate" which gives us a Black population of about 20,000,000 in the United States or 6.3% of the population.

Now, that's not nothing, and certainly a population that could punch above its weight (like Jewish Americans), but it's more similar to OTL's Irish or Polish American population than anything else, and is probably a population that is still gradually growing north of the Ohio in the 2020s, rather than decamping for cheaper, growing metros in North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Texas etc like IOTL.

Idk what y'all think, but does that look like a reasonable figure?
-
As for Hispanics, yes, Brian Sandoval would be our first nonwhite President; however, I have loose plans that aren't entirely canon yet of a nonwhite VP/Prez candidate whos a bit of a Mondale/Quayle ‘96/Lieberman ‘04 stand-in for the 2000s who is nonwhite, but not Black or Hispanic.

My thinking on the Hispanic pop is that the raw number of Mexican-Americans in the Southwest (but not necessarily percentage proportion) is the same as OTL (so California for instance still has around 12 million residents of Mexican descent, but they are not 1/3 of the population but rather more like 1/5), while in the Upper Mountain West you're at 60-70% of OTL raw (so my home state of Washington, for instance, might have 500k Mexican descent rather than 790k) and then as you go east that number drops precipitously to maybe 20-30% of OTL raw, which of course is then proportionately even smaller with much higher state populations than OTL sans snowbirding/Reverse Migration. (So Pennsylvania might have 40-50k Mexican descent rather than 160k)

Take into account way fewer Cuban (no Florida and more stable Cuba) and especially Puerto Rican Americans (no internal migration rights until NAFTA in the 2010s) and you've probably got a Hispanic population of the US that's more like 10-11% of the total rather than 20-21%, which means that total Hispanic population of the United States would ITTL be less than Mexican-Americans on their own.

Combine that with a way higher Asian population (my math suggested 18 million Chinese descent by 2020 alone!) and yes, you've then got a very different demographic mix in the United States, and one that without the South skews way more Catholic (thanks to the North and the still-large Hispanic pop) and more Jewish, without the restrictions of the 1924 Immigration Act and sans a Holocaust.

If anybody wants to toy with my figures they're welcome to - demographic calculations I find fun but I'm not always sure I get them right.

Still waiting to see what "Building a Wall" in the Appalachians between West Virginia and Virginia/Kentucky is going to look like.
Heh.

Last edited:
So I actually just did the Mexican-American math using my rough parameters and I got to about 14-15million depending on if you think California has an equal population or somewhere around 80-90% of it. That means that, excluding the CSA states and Hawaii, the TTL US has about 60% of the Mexican descent population of the OTL non-CS state’s Mexican-American population, and about 2/3rds of that figure give or take is just in CA/AZ/NM.

320 million people ITTL's USA is a gigantic population, you love to see it. I can see a smaller/non existent NIMBY movement in certain states (looking at you, California!) being a big driver of that growth.

Turns out Field of Dreams was right - if you build it (housing) they will come.

320 million people ITTL's USA is a gigantic population, you love to see it. I can see a smaller/non existent NIMBY movement in certain states (looking at you, California!) being a big driver of that growth.

Turns out Field of Dreams was right - if you build it (housing) they will come.
That’s basically the idea - denser cities means less NIMBYism (in the cities at least; suburbs might actually be similar), and no southward flow makes the West the main growth area of the country along with people filling in places like Upstate New York, Greater Columbus, Chicagoland, the Upper Midwest, Kansas City, etc.

Oh, I'm still waiting to see what happens to the Jews. I'm not sure that the changes pre-1913 iTTL make a significant difference to Jewish Emigration. Or to put it another way, if Fiddler on the Roof premieres on Broadway in 1964 iTTL, I'd be fine with it.

Unfortunately, I still have a great deal of faith in the ability of Russians to have several waves of Pogroms into the 20th century. But without the *industrialized* extinction of something like the Holocaust, the Russian Empire is likely to remain with a Majority of the world Jewish population through at least 1950 and probably beyond. Oddly, I expect that the ability of the Jews to purchase the land in Palestine under the feet of the Arabs who have rented it will be easier under the Ottomans than under the British.

I'm not sure what would make a Jew (or for that matter almost anyone) immigrate to the CSA between 1918 and 1930, though.

I *still* expect limitations on percentages of Jews as students in certain colleges iTTL, To me, the rise of Fascism in Europe that was anti-semetic wasn't the cause of those limitations, at most they came from the same source.

That’s basically the idea - denser cities means less NIMBYism (in the cities at least; suburbs might actually be similar), and no southward flow makes the West the main growth area of the country along with people filling in places like Upstate New York, Greater Columbus, Chicagoland, the Upper Midwest, Kansas City, etc.
Chicagoland as Metro Tokyo would be supremely entertaining, and probably awesome.

Sadly it doesnt, see every single city in Europe...
Very true!
Oh, I'm still waiting to see what happens to the Jews. I'm not sure that the changes pre-1913 iTTL make a significant difference to Jewish Emigration. Or to put it another way, if Fiddler on the Roof premieres on Broadway in 1964 iTTL, I'd be fine with it.

Unfortunately, I still have a great deal of faith in the ability of Russians to have several waves of Pogroms into the 20th century. But without the *industrialized* extinction of something like the Holocaust, the Russian Empire is likely to remain with a Majority of the world Jewish population through at least 1950 and probably beyond. Oddly, I expect that the ability of the Jews to purchase the land in Palestine under the feet of the Arabs who have rented it will be easier under the Ottomans than under the British.

I'm not sure what would make a Jew (or for that matter almost anyone) immigrate to the CSA between 1918 and 1930, though.

I *still* expect limitations on percentages of Jews as students in certain colleges iTTL, To me, the rise of Fascism in Europe that was anti-semetic wasn't the cause of those limitations, at most they came from the same source.
Oh you can definitely expect tons of pogroms, with some getting up to the tens of thousands killed. But nothing even approaching the scale and precision of what Moustache Man and his goons cooked up IOTL.

I’d say Ivies and their like probably heavily restrict Jewish student bodies for much longer (and Notre Dame and similar institutions likely rejects non-Catholic students outright, unless they’re on scholarship) whereas state schools are more open-door. One wonders when state schools out West realistically allow in Asian students, though, especially since Ghadar had its Genesis in part on the campus of Berkeley…
Chicagoland as Metro Tokyo would be supremely entertaining, and probably awesome.
You could get it close, maybe something more in between that and OTL, like an ultra-buffed Golden Horseshoe. My notes have Chicago in 2020 with a population of about 4.7mil so that alone takes Chicagoland over the 11 million mark and the suburbs are way denser, too. You could realistically have the MSA itself close to 14 million if you split the remainder out across the inner and outer burbs. Not quite Metro Tokyo, but still freaking massive!
Nah. This is the first hint that this is the elaborate backstory for Big Hero 6 and San Fransokyo.
Haha

My notes have Chicago in 2020 with a population of about 4.7mil so that alone takes Chicagoland over the 11 million mark and the suburbs are way denser, too. You could realistically have the MSA itself close to 14 million if you split the remainder out across the inner and outer burbs.
As someone who works for one of the rail agencies here in Chicago you are making Cinco-me quite happy. Love to see it!

From what I understand, we are in Spring of 1918, which means Mehmet Resad’s death is slowly approaching.
I am really curious about your plans for Yusuf İzzeddin, a man whose father wanted to make his own heir by changing decades old succession rules, who is practically succumbed to paranoia over his fear of losing his place in the line and also over his health (apparently forced every single doctor to sign a paper that said they should tell him what was his sickness), with one of the interesting events about him being the event he lived with one of our very famous poets Abdülhak Hamit Tarhan (who survived well past the surname law, hence “Tarhan” in the end) nicknamed Şair-i Azam, Poet Laureate in English. Yusuf İzzeddin wanted a writing from Tarhan regarding his support to his claim, which Tarhan replied by writing a poem saying that nobody was after him, and everyone supported him.
Yusuf İzzeddin was unsatisfied with this, and disliked the poem, demanded him to change one of the verses, with Tarhan getting increasingly confused.

:love::love::love::love:

You are too good to me sometimes you know that?
I do what i can! Gotta make up for them Libs somehow right?
From what I understand, we are in Spring of 1918, which means Mehmet Resad’s death is slowly approaching.
I am really curious about your plans for Yusuf İzzeddin, a man whose father wanted to make his own heir by changing decades old succession rules, who is practically succumbed to paranoia over his fear of losing his place in the line and also over his health (apparently forced every single doctor to sign a paper that said they should tell him what was his sickness), with one of the interesting events about him being the event he lived with one of our very famous poets Abdülhak Hamit Tarhan (who survived well past the surname law, hence “Tarhan” in the end) nicknamed Şair-i Azam, Poet Laureate in English. Yusuf İzzeddin wanted a writing from Tarhan regarding his support to his claim, which Tarhan replied by writing a poem saying that nobody was after him, and everyone supported him.
Yusuf İzzeddin was unsatisfied with this, and disliked the poem, demanded him to change one of the verses, with Tarhan getting increasingly confused.
Yusuf Izzeddin sounds… super stable, in other words.

Though the OE has gone semi-parliamentary by 1918 there’s quite a bit I could do with an erratic weirdo like him in power!

I do what i can! Gotta make up for them Libs somehow right?
You've got a ways to go to make up for the Libs but let's not get sidetracked lol.

We've talked about a way to make America more union centric and one of the downstream effects of the incoming train wank is that all those jobs (or at least the vast majority of them) on or adjacent to railroads are contract jobs that can't get outsourced.

You've got a ways to go to make up for the Libs but let's not get sidetracked lol.

We've talked about a way to make America more union centric and one of the downstream effects of the incoming train wank is that all those jobs (or at least the vast majority of them) on or adjacent to railroads are contract jobs that can't get outsourced.
Ayup. That plus a rail firm (Arco) with the lobbying firepower of the Big Three or Boeing means rail investment doesn’t have much (if any) partisan coding, sort of like France or Spain where governments of left and right both make it rain on HSR and regional services