-XII-
"Battles in the Snow"

The forests and hills stretched without end, seemingly threatening to swallow Nanbu Sanetsugu and his soldiers where they stood. Even the densest, darkest forest in Mutsu held nothing on the murkiness of this expanse, lit only by the dull light of the sun gleaming off the snow. Ezo truly was a wild place, the homeland of the barbarians who in Mutsu were becoming more tame by the day.

His strategist, Date Munetsuna, approached from the brush. A tall bearded Ezo man stood by him, one of the hunters recruited from the mountains [1], holding a burnt stick.

"As you can see, my lord, the enemy has come through here. A small party of them killed one of our scouts, but we've no sign of their main host," the Ezo man said.

Sanetsugu clenched his fist. We're getting absolutely nowhere.

"My opinion, Lord Nanbu, is that this is a trap," Date said. "Six years ago, the eminent Houjou Tokimura lost his life along with most of his army after venturing too deep into these mountains. Our enemy doesn't have many men, and most are clearly peasants who fled from our forces."

"Lord Andou demanded we destroy this force and capture its leader," Sanetsugu explained. "You saw the banners some of their warriors carried--Ashina Morimune leads them. Alive or dead, if we display him before the walls of Odate then his father will be that much more likely to surrender the fortress. Losing a few dozen men here or there is nothing compared to taking a fortress intact without casualties."

Date sighed at Sanetsugu's explanation. Once Odate falls, he'll believe me. Suddenly Sanetsugu heard crunching noises in the snow and another Ezo scout walked toward them on his snowshoes.

"My lords, we found them!" he said quietly, panting for breath in the cold air. "They are at the river ahead."

"Perfect, take the army, crush them with numbers, and we'll get back to warm winter quarters instead of these dark forests," Sanetsugu said.

The Ezo scouts glanced nervously at each other.

"These hills are dangerous today," the Ezo man said. "The slightest mistake and the snow will swallow us all."

"That's why we have these," Date said, pointing to the snowshoes he wore. Sanetsugu wished his soldiers had them too--few did, and the snow might swallowed them to their waists.

"Even with those snowshoes, it's hopeless, my lord. You'll be crushed by a wall of snow. Perhaps instead we send in a small number of men and kill their leaders so the restdisperse." But Sanetsugu shook his head at the Ezo man's foolish request.

"Were you an actual warrior and not a mere hunter, you'd understand the foolishness in that strategy," Date said. "That's exactly what the enemy hopes we do."

"Exactly," Sanetsugu said. "We must crush them decisively. If you're too fearful of the snow, then you may leave as the coward you are." The Ezo man scowled, but sighed and walked off. That is why he is not in command of this force. He is a mere peasant, good for nothing but hunting game and finding a trail.

Sanetsugu continued advancing on horseback along the dark trail, his army marching alongside. After hours more of walking with the sun hanging low in the sky, he received word from a scout that the enemy was here. Sanetsugu rushed ahead toward a rise in the trail for a better look.

On a hillside ahead lay many enemy soldiers. Sanetsugu squinted, taking note of their formation. Groups of enemy soldiers wearing thick furs scattered across the slopes of the mountain above them, too distant from each other to support a true ambush. Sanetsugu smirked at the scattershot formation. Those peasants are incapable of fighting like warriors, and that Ashina Morimune lacks the skill his father possesses.

"Tighten formation!" Sanetsugu ordered as a few of the enemy peasants began firing arrows. They stand no chance, but the fewer casualties the better. An arrow struck his shield directly, fired by a man in the distance with numerous feathers and shining metal on his armour. He drew his bow for another shot, dramatically standing in front of the crest of his clan. Ashina Morimune...is that fool seeking single combat?

"Ignore his provocations, Lord Nanbu," Date cautioned. "He is with the invader, and they are never dignified enough to settle matters in single combat."

"I wasn't planning on dealing with him like that. Let us take his head and disperse his rabble," Sanetsugu said. "We'll charge right at him!"

Arrows continued to fly overhead, nearly all missing their target. Many were clearly fire arrows, striking against the trees rising out of the snow. Can these peasants and barbarians not even shoot straight? Just what are they up to?

As he drew nearer to Ashina Morimune, Sanetsugu fired his own bow at him, the shot landing just short of the target. Tch...to think he can outshoot me. His frustration translated into increasing the pace on his horse trotting across the deep snow. Just as he lined up another shot, the enemy started shouting and banging the weapons. Drums and shell trumpets rang out over the river valley as the enemy stopped what they were doing. Sanetsugu tried ignoring them, but noticed most of his army stopped.

"What the hell are you doing! Keep advancing toward Ashina and take his head!" he shouted, trying to rally his army. Yet frustrated as he was, he had to complement Ashina on arranging such an unsettling scene, even if he was buying but a precious few seconds.

As Sanetsugu turned back to get his forces into motion, the noise stopped as a great rumbling began. An earthquake? Hmph, it can't have anything to do with that. The gods wouldn't intervene on the side of an enemy who burns their shrines and persecutes those who preach the Lotus Sutra. But far from rallying his men, chaos engulfed his army with their own shouts.

"It's an avalanche!" voices around him shouted. "Run!" Sure enough, Sanetsugu looked up and saw several walls of snow headed toward him. Enemy soldiers scrambled to safe ledges, the wall of snow simply bypassing the majority of them. Terror welled up within him as he realised that through either sheer luck, hidden skill, or some favour of the gods, Ashina had summoned a force of destruction.

"Namu myouhou renge kyou, namu myouhou renge kyou, namu myouhou renge kyou," Sanetsugu started chanting, desperately hoping for divine intervention in his favour. The wall of snow struck him like a hammer blow and white faded into black.

---​

The Banpou Invasion of 1297 was not limited to just Japan. Befitting a war that started in the remote reaches of the Lower Heilong, the regions around the Kamakura Shogunate faced equal attention from the Mongol Empire. Temur Khan's demand for a final decisive war against Kamakura brought about conflict in adjacent regions, as the Yuan sought to completely isolate and destroy the Shogunate.

The Shogunate's allies numbered few, and the most noteworthy--Vietnam and Champa--were too distant and uninterested in challenging the immense might of the Mongols. This left their strongest allies being those Ainu chiefs of eastern Ezo and above all, the tribal chiefs of Okinawa, united into a loose confederation under the powerful lord known as King Eiso. Conquering these areas meant denying the Kamakura Shogunate their remaining allies and trade partners.

The Ainu chiefs of eastern Ezo had long been at war with the Mongols' local vassals, the Ezo Shogunate (itself nominally a vassal of the Kingdom of Japan) and a host of Jiliemi chiefs. Sheltered by the high mountains and volcanoes in the center of Ezo, few Ainu in this region backed the Ezo Shogunate. Due to the strong defenses of the Andou clan's homeland in Mutsu Province, the Ezo Shogunate under Andou Suemura attacked these tribes first.

In August 1297, Andou Suemura led 5,000 warriors from Yi'an, primarily Japanese, Chinese, and Ainu loyal to the Hinomoto clan due to difficulty in recruiting Jiliemi and Karafuto Ainu caused by the ongoing rebellion. They marched south to the coast and then turned east into the Hitakami Mountains [2]. Fighting many battles during the autumn, they burnt over a dozen Ainu villages and captured their chiefs. Several Japanese merchants, traders, and fishermen were captured as well--those who agreed to serve the Ezo Shogunate were deported to Yi'an or the Oshima Peninsula, but those who refused were exiled to distant Kyushu.

As winter drew nearer, Andou established three forts for controlling the area, stationing 500 warriors at each. From west to east, they were Monbetsu along the Saru River, Shizunai along the Shizunai River, and Ponnai. These locations were favoured for being reasonable to resupply by sea, supporting expeditions deep into the mountains, and above all, having ample plains for raising horses, an increasingly important economic activity for the Ezo Shogunate [3].

Meanwhile, Andou deliberately let a few of his Ainu prisoners escape to Honshu, where they informed Andou Gorou and the Kamakura Shogunate of his raids. Content his rival was busy warring with the Ainu, Andou did nothing but continue pacifying his own realm against the ever-ongoing conflict and fear of a disaster as happened in 1292. This was a dire mistake, for in early spring 1298, Andou Suemura attacked with 5,000 men and 50 ships and destroyed a dozen villages before retreating in the face of the Andou-suigun. Hundreds of Japanese and settled Ainu were carried off to Ezo and settled in villages and forts there.

An infuriated Andou Gorou demanded action from his superior, the chinjufu-shogun Houjou Munenobu. Houjou and Andou spent much of 1298 raising an army from Mutsu and Dewa Provinces, a difficult task given the number of men from these provinces killed and the ongoing conflict with the Honshu Ainu. While they assembled nearly 20,000 men, Andou Gorou was never to lead this army as he desired--at an advanced age, he died in his sleep on July 13, 1298 and was succeeded in all his positions by his son Andou Suemori (安藤季盛).

Aware of the large army assembled against him, Andou Suemura requested additional aid from Taxiala, but he obtained little in the way of reinforcements, for the main Yuan army was tied down subduing the rebellion in the lower Heilong basin and on Karafuto. The fighting there continued unceasingly in 1297 and 1298, as the Yuan destroyed numerous villages and abducted hostages to ensure the loyalty of the rebels. At the same time, they were met with constant ambushes from the wilderness that depleted their numbers.

The Kamakura Shogunate's army under Houjou Munenobu and Andou Suemori invaded Ezo in August 1298, as the Shogunate had done in the previous war. They landed in the most productive area for farming, destroying the fortress at Wakimoto and seizing numerous villages. Unlike before however, the Oshima Peninsula was more populated and more fortified, leading to resistance from the local samurai. Inawashiro Tadatsune (猪苗代忠経) led this force--however, his small numbers were rapidly crushed and by winter 1298 the majority of the Oshima Peninsula had fallen into the hands of the Kamakura Shogunate. Outnumbered nearly 4-to-1, Andou Suemura could do nothing except make harassing attacks on their supply lines.

Shogunate forces besieged Odate Castle, the final--and largest--fortification on the Oshima Peninsula, commanded by the prominent defector Ashina Yasumori. Yet they faced frequent uprisings from disgruntled peasants whose food they confiscated for supplies. The starving peasants joined forces with the remnants of the local samurai army and Ainu guides sent by Andou Suemura. Ashina Morimune (蘆名盛宗), son of Ashina Yasumori, rallied a force of around 1,000 and lured perhaps 5,000 Shogunate warriors under Nanbu Sanetsugu (南部実継) into the mountains.

Ashina Morimune, with the aid of his Ainu guides, lured them to the slopes of Mount Nakasengen near the source of the Oyobe River. The snowy winter had built a thick snowpack, but weather conditions had made it prone to avalanches. With his men perfectly positioned, Morimune attacked in a manner that ensured a great avalanche buried nearly the entire enemy force. The survivors were pulled from the snow and sent as prisoners to Mongol lines, while Nanbu was permitted to commit suicide.

The victory at Nakasengen caused terror in Shogunate ranks, for they assumed the Mongol army had arrived. Because of the harsh winter, Andou Suemori sent much of his remaining force home. Andou Suemura exploited this absence, leading a daring night attack in March 1299 with the aid of the few elite troops among Ashina Morimune's ranks. They lifted the siege of Odate and wounded Houjou Munenobu in battle, although Andou Suemori preserved much of his army as he retreated to Usukeshi, the finest port in Oshima [4].

Houjou Munenobu blamed Andou Suemori for the twin disasters, which infuriated the prideful leader. Suemori laid all the blame on his kinsman Andou Takanari () who had proposed--but not led--the expedition into the mountains. The Nanbu clan, also criticised by the Houjou, blamed Sanetsugu's strategist Date Munetsuna (伊達宗綱) for the disaster. The Date clan thus shouldered much of the blame, causing the suicide of Munetsuna's elderly father Masayori (伊達政依) and a great deal of lingering enmity between the Date, Andou, and Nanbu clans, as well as between Andou Takanari and his kinsmen.

Nonetheless, as spring came, the Shogunate reassembled and reinforced their army in Ezo to around 15,000 men and set out toward Odate. With affairs in Karafuto and in the Lower Heilong still distracting the Yuan from sending aid, the prospects for the Ezo Shogunate's victory looked just as bleak as before. Ezo shared in the fate of all Japan.

---
Author's notes

This is a short entry covering the first part of the Banpou Invasion in northern Japan. I figured I would separate that theater into its own entries since it isn't linked too much to the happenings elsewhere.Originally I was going to cover the Ryukyus as well, but I figured I needed to advance the sections on the "main" invasion before I can post that. Regardless, that entry was about 90% written as a result. There was also a map made for this entry that I will post in a few entries when I go back to Ezo and Mutsu.

As always, thank you for reading.

[1] - "Ezo" was also a common term for the Honshu Ainu (the island name "Ezo" arose as a shortened form of "Ezogashima"). The Matagi hunters of the Tohoku in later centuries are among their descendents.
[2] - OTL, these are the Hidaka Mountains, but "Hidaka" () is just a shortened form of Hitakami (), and I am using the latter because in A Horn of Bronze (this TL's nominal parent), "Hidaka" refers to Kamchatka. I will use "Hitakami" for the placenames in Hokkaido.
[3] - Monbetsu is currently part of the town of Hidaka, and Shizunai is currently part of the town of Shinhidaka. Ponnai was the original name for Urakawa in the late 18th century. Hokkaido was famed for horse breeding OTL, as was the Tohoku Region to the south. It was an Emishi tradition, but I am not sure what degree of it remained in the medieval Ainu culture descended from them.
[4] - Usukeshi was the original name for Hakodate used by both Japanese and Ainu
Different historical period, but this would be fine theme music for this chapter.

Always wondered why medieval armies didn’t make use of avalanche like in the Mulan film. Fantastic portrayal as always, you have a knack of depicting tensions in character during battle.

Chapter 13-The Tiger Defending the West
-XIII-
"The Tiger Defending the West"

Near Ryuge-ji Temple, Bingo Province, August 29, 1298​

Takeda Tokitsuna observed the tall, sturdy warhorses a servant led around, impressed by how noticeably larger and bulkier they were compared to his own horses. These are indeed Mongol warhorses. They will be quite useful in our service. In particular, one of the horses, a tall muscular brown steed, seemed to radiate power. My horse has never been the same since the injuries it suffered at Sakurao. I will be certain to take this one for myself.

"As you can see, my lord, we've taken a great number of horses, around 500 in all," one of his generals, Komai Nobuyasu, announced. He was already riding on the back of one of the horses. "The raid was a stellar success."

"Perfect. Continue performing this well, and you will bring your father much joy that his heir has inherited his wisdom." The younger Komai tried hard not to smile, nodding instead as he returned to supervising moving the horses into the camp.

"My lord, what shall we do with these horses?" asked another general, the youthful Ichijou Nobuhisa. "Kamakura will be quite annoyed if we claim all of them for ourselves."

"Worry not about the opinions of those irksome bureaucrats. Send thirty of the finest horses to Kamakura and send another thirty to Kyoto. Ah, to the Imperial Court, mind you, not the Rokuhara Tandai's office." The desperation at which those men conduct this war ensures we'd only be wasting these horses and not using them to breed more fine warhorses.

"So we're keeping around 440 of them," Ichijou mused. "My lord, what if we used these as the invader did against us as we lifted the siege of Sakurao Castle?"

"Breaking our ranks on horseback?" Tokitsuna pondered the question. Had it been possible, he would have made it a central tactic of his, yet the horses were not bred for that purpose, fine as they were for carrying men into battle or shooting arrows from. Yet his mind lept to battles he knew only from old Chinese chronicles, wondering just what possibilities might be opened if he added these horses into his force.

"We have perhaps 450 of these horses after we gift them to the Emperor and Shogun," Tokitsuna noted. "That many horses charging at once makes an impressive sight, but the enemy charges with many times those numbers."

"At last count, we could mount 2,500 men," Ichijou said.

"Only 2,200 now," Tokitsuna corrected. "I have no doubt Kikkawa Tsunetaka has given his life for our cause, and his trapped and isolated warriors will be unable to rejoin our ranks." He hated speaking of the dead like that, but Kikkawa had volunteered for a suicide mission in defending Aki. He died so all of us might continue to fight and not waste our lives protecting what cannot be protected.

"Even so, 2,200 horsemen makes for a fine striking force. Soldiers mounted on the new war horses lead the charge while our older cavalry come in behind them and finish off the enemy. They will not be expecting it, especially the rebels who have sided with the invader!"

Tokitsuna smiled. He has learned well under me and is becoming a fine cavalryman.

"What armour would you have them wear, Lord Ichijou?" Tokitsuna asked. "Not just our warriors, but the horses as well."

"They could wear lighter armour, and maybe even remove a few pieces from that. As for the warriors, we need only armour their vitals."

Tokitsuna thought the proposal through--the lighter horses would still be vulnerable, but if the thrust of the charge failed, they still stood a chance at retreat. I face only the problem of convincing our warriors to give up their precious armour. I will have to recompense them for the cost of altering and constructing new armour [1].

"A brilliant proposal. I will ensure it's adopted at once so we can re-equip our forces. Ichijou, report to Komai Nobumura and tell him to give me ideas on just how we might use them."

Tokitsuna looked one last time at the tall brown war horse and smiled at the beast. You may no more change the course of the war any more than I might, but together our efforts will amount to much.

---
Near Fuchuu, Bingo Province, November 4, 1298​

Burilgitei sat in his tent, surrounded by his most elite guards. Light peaked in through the tent flaps he ensured remained closed to stop reminding him of the frustrating mountains his men now tore through. This country is nothing but mountains, far worse than Goryeo or former Song. It is a wonder we made it this far. A man stepped through, giving him another glimpse of those mountains in their autumn glow.

"Marshal Burilgitei," the man said. "I, Oe no Mototaka, am speaking to you as a messenger from Lord Mouri Tokichika."

"Before you speak, tell Mouri his progress is too slow. Men from his army are lingering in the rear again."

"I understand, Lord Marshal," Oe replied. "He will ensure discipline is maintained and those men wasting time looting will be dealt with. As for Lord Mouri's request, he has discovered a path through the hills around the main enemy encampment in front of the Bingo provincial capital."

"As I thought," Burilgitei said. "Inform Mouri he is not to take any actions against the enemy before the arrival of our forces. He and Kikuchi must devote all effort to building siege engines. As for you, Oe, take 1,000 men from the rear-guard of our forces and scout one of these routes."

"As you wish, Lord Marshal," Oe said, leaving the tent. Burilgitei lay back on the mat in the tent, wondering just what he should do. We well outnumber them, meaning splitting my forces gives no risk. But in these narrow valleys, the enemy can concentrate their men. We have little choice but to batter them down as if it was a siege.

"If I may, Lord Burilgitei," a seated officer, Zhang Ding, started. "We could move south to the sea, find another pass, and conduct a flanking manuever around them there. Even half of our force could do so."

"A fine option, but not our best one," Burilgitei replied to the general tellling him a strategy he already considered. "We face the Tiger of Aki, and he aims to defeat us all separately, so we can scarcely divide our forces any more than we are doing now. The sea is at least two days from here if all goes well, and the road through those mountains is unknown, uncharted, and may take us several more days. By that point, Takeda may have retreated and destroyed a smaller army of ours."

"I see. A wise assumption as always, Lord Marshal," Zhang said, but Burilgitei knew it was mere flattery from a junior officer. "I will fight as my grandfather did and avenge his death."

"Do not fight as him," Burilgitei spoke. "For you are not him. Learn from him, and fight as he would desire you to fight. I do not fight as my father Aju, my grandfather Uriyankhadai, or my great-grandfather Subutai, for I do not fight their enemies." Yet it would be easier if I did. Were those lords who led their enemies from the Jin to the Russians as capable as this 'Tiger of Aki' who stands in my way?

"O-of course, my lord," Zhang said, a little shaken by Burilgitei's words.

"Should it worry you, then take your mingghan and scout the area toward the sea yourself. Take some bombs, rockets, and hand cannons--you will need them to fool Takeda or his reinforcements that your numbers are far larger." Zhang grinned at his order, standing up and bowing.

"As you wish, Lord Burilgitei. My forces will aid you from the rear as soon as possible." Zhang said before he left the tent in a hurry.

Burilgitei pondered the situation further. I cannot trust Zhang's force will arrive intact, nor consider him part of the battle. Useful as his operation may be in the future, for now he only distracts potential reinforcements. With winter fast approaching, I might consider Zhang's reappearance as a time limit on my actions.

He sighed. All he could do was trust in his strategy and carry it out to his fullest and overwhelm that most dangerous enemy of his with superior strength and wisdom.

---

The sky grew lighter around the campsite buzzing with activity, but Takeda Tokitsuna sat motionless. His men would carry out the necessary tasks, and then he might step into action.

"You're quite a taskmaster, Lord Takeda," a distant relative, Tsubarai Nobutsugu complained. "It's so early, but you gave us so much to do."

"Your men think the same of you," Tokitsuna replied. "Not only did you lead them all evening marching through the steep hills to destroy the enemy's hidden camps, but you barely gave them a night of sleep."

"I guess I did, didn't I? Such is life when you have us rise by the morning star and not the sun." Tokitsuna ignored his relative's comments, gazing at the bright star rapidly fading in the light of the impending sunrise. Only a few moments remain.

"No matter, carry out my orders as planned," Tokitsuna said, rising as a servant brought over his new horse to him, still impressive in its size.

"You're wearing that armour?" a voice behind him exclaimed. "You look practically naked, my lord!" Tokitsuna chuckled at the comment, for Komai Nobumura was right. Even if my armour shines and gleams as always, it feels much too light to be fighting in.

"I am leading by example, Komai," he said. "Our warriors would never accept these orders without it." Komai Nobumura also wore armour stripped down for the battle, carrying a long spear.

"Well lead your finest, Lord Takeda. All in the camp are excited to see the results of what you have devised now so we might escape this hopeless situation against that general of the invaders who has brought us such challenge, that Burilgitei."

"Burilgitei?" Tokitsuna said with a smile. "Oh yes, him. Did you know, Komai, that his great-grandfather Subotai conquered half of the world on behalf of the first Emperor of Yuan? Yet his grandfather conquered only half of the nations around the Middle Country [2], while his father only conquered half of the Middle Country itself. How much less impressive shall Burilgitei's achievements be!"

Komai laughed, as did another two of his generals on their tall warhorses, Ichijou Nobuhisa and Kobayakawa Tomohira.

"It is no laughing matter, however," Tokitsuna cautioned upon seeing their mirth. "Victory is not assured unless we seize what the heavens offer. Burilgitei is an extremely dangerous opponent."

"Tsubarai already smashed up his trebuchets," Ichijou pointed out. "I guess winning means we smash up some more?" Beyond the palisade walls Tokitsuna had erected as a rudimentary fort, the light of the sun began shining on what looked to be yet more trebuchets, the target for their attack.

"We'll crush anything in our way," Kobayakawa boasted. "Especially if my accursed cousin shows his face. You know he's claiming to be military governor of Aki now, right?"

"We must concentrate first on winning the battle," Tokitsuna said. He noticed from the east a ray of sun rising beyond the mountain, the signal for battle to begin. "Go, we enter battle now!" He rushed forward on his horse as shell trumpets blew, rousing the soldiers to battle. The decisive moment would soon be upon them.

---

Tall Mongol horses surrounded Mouri Tokichika, the Japanese warriors atop them prodding at him with long spears as he tried rallying his men to retreat. They caught me unaware, damn them! What sort of charge is this! He squinted his eyes toward the rising sun as the warriors on horseback kept charging at him, enveloping his unit. As he squirmed around another blow, he hacked the leg of the horse clean off as his men skewered the rider.

"Fall back, fall back!" Tokichika shouted. "Fall ba-argh!" As he shouted at his army, an arrow from a distant archer on horseback struck his shoulder. Tokichika ignored the searing pain, shouting at his troops as he took steps backwards, still facing the enemies.

The trebuchets he had been assigned to defend were being smashed apart by the enemy in a decisive defeat, but Tokichika didn't care. He needed to retreat at once, for the enemy was overwhelming.

In the distance their leader, Takeda Tokitsuna, sat mounted atop a great brown steed. The four diamonds of the Takeda clan waved behind him, carried by a loyal bannerman. Damn him! If not for that bastard's leadership, we'd be at the gates of Kyoto already.

Takeda waved forth his sword, and a group of lightly armoured horsemen charged with reckless abandon. Tokichika took a strike from one man's spear right on his armoured shoulder, but he didn't lose balance, instead hacking at the man's companion as he tried stepping back. In that moment he slipped on blood just enough so another foe's blade caught him in the arm, forcing him to drop his sword for a moment.

Tokichika grit his teeth, cleaving at another cavalrymen as he breathed deeply, trying to retain his calm in this situation. The few men around him were all veteran warriors of his clan, all fighting a losing battle against a cavalry charge that sought nothing more than to punccture his lines. In that they exceeded expectations, for the bulk of his men were now fleeing. It's up to Kikuchi on my right and Kobayakawa on my left to salvage this situation.

"Shall we fall back, father?" his second son Chikamoto screamed as he tried fending off a cavalryman. Blood covered the youth's face from a great gash and dents covered his armour in several parts. "The trebuchets are just as ruined as Marshal Burilgitei's plans."

"No! We are to defend this position until relieved! Hold your ground and retreat only as able! We are not cowards like those men who fled!"

As he shouted at his son, the influx of cavalrymen seemed unstoppable. The shell trumpets blew again from in front, and Tokichika knew Takeda had disengaged his heavy cavalry and was preparing to attack once more. His son's head rolled at his feet, but Tokichika ignored it as he could only face the fear enemy in front of him. Soon you will apologise to me for dying before me.

As Tokichika prepared himself to meet his death, the shell trumpets this time came from behind. Loud explosions came from behind as the gunpowder troops Kikuchi commanded did their work. An enemy cavalryman's horse lost its nerve, rearing up and bucking off the rider--Tokichika knocked out the man with a swift blow to his head before focusing on another enemy. Arrows from Kikuchi's cavalry halted the light cavalry charge, the arrows finding their mark on the very light armour the men wore. If there's anyone who can defeat Takeda, it's that marshal Burilgitei the invaders appointed. I have yet a role to play in battle.

---
Aratani, Bingo Province, November 4, 1298​

Gao Xing stood at the center with two soldiers beside him--these were all the men who might march abreast at many points on this mountain trail. At once a Japanese warrior unseen leaped out of the trees with his blade, shouting something incomprehensible--Gao dispatched him at once with his spear as a few more men attacked his guards before their imminent deaths. His crossbowmen opened fire into the nearby trees, no doubt killing a few more. That makes three times today. The enemy knows we are nearing his camp.

"You should not have agreed to this, my lord," his lieutenant Zheng Quan said. "This path is too dangerous, and countless men could lie in ambush.

"That is why I took only 7,000 men. We need only strike the enemy's flank and must risk no more to some grand enemy ambush."

Gao halted for a moment, noticing something strange on the wooded slope beside him. What looked like ledges had been cut into the ground, and what's more, they had been cut recently. So this is how the enemy moves around.

"What is it, Lord Gao?" Zheng asked. Gao said nothing, continuing to walk as he paid close attention to the hillside, noticing a few more notches. He walked to the other side of the path, leaning on the ground to see if more lay underneath. To his shock, he saw what looked to be a clear path to climb down to the narrow river that flowed in the valley below. How many more are these? Has the enemy prepared for this moment.

"Prepare our retreat," Gao told Zheng. "We will return to the widest point of this path and methodically scour the hillside. The 1,000 men in front will carry out my orders."

"Wh-why, my lord? It's impossible the enemy can have a large force even if they can climb these steep slopes."

"They don't need one," Gao explained. "Just a few thousand--no a few hundred men--laying in ambush as our army is strung out across an entire li will destroy us [3]. Send our scouts into those slopes and hold off the enemy as we retreat to the widest part of the path. The men ahead must hurry so they can still attack."

"R-right, Lord Gao!" As his lieutenant carried out the order, Gao's heart started pounding faster as he realised he was trapped in enemy territory. He stood wary, looking up at the hillside as he wondered where the attack might come from.

"We march back!" Gao shouted. "Quickly!"

As they started returning the way they came, Gao wondered if his orders had been too cautious. He received only a few reports of battles from his scouts. Perhaps I am too clever for my own good. Were I the enemy general, I would have long since ambushed this column. Yet just as he thought that, signaling fireworks shot into the sky as trumpets rang out. The fireworks and trumpets came from several points--the worst possible scenario had occurred.

A dozen enemies leaped from the hills as arrows shot from below. Gao drew his weapon, charging into battle as he furiously attacked the enemy samurai, shoving their leader off the cliff. Just as he finished off that man, another man cleaved his sword into Gao's shoulder, staining Gao's vision with his own blood as he fell to the ground. The man prepared to finish him off in what felt like an eyeblink, but suddenly more blood poured onto Gao's body as someone stepped in front of him, collapsing atop the enemy warrior.

Gao rose to his feet in pain, looking down at the man, noticing his own lieutenant Zheng Guan had given his life to slay the enemy. Well done. I will not let your sacrifice go to waste. We will win this battle.

---

"What happened! Y-you lost!?" Burilgitei exclaimed to the messenger. On a mat at the feet of his horse lay the bloodied body of Gao Xing covered in many cuts from enemy swords--only his breathing signified he lived. Gao lay beside the body of his lieutenant, a certain Zheng Guan, the afternoon sun glinting off their armour.

"Perhaps 500 men can still fight," the messenger said. "Another 1,500 are too wounded to do anything and the rest are gone. Only the valour of Lord Gao Xing let us survive the ambush."

"Five thousand dead..." Burilgitei muttered. "What a disaster!" He clenched his fist before jabbing his finger toward the still ongoing battle where his infantry and the enemy lay locked in furious combat for the past two hours. Yet the most recent cavalry charge from the enemy had driven them back even further, and now they were at the gates of his camp.

"Send each and every one of those cowards back to that mountain pass! They are not to retreat again without my permission!"

"Yes, my lord!"

He looked toward his cavalrymen.

"We aren't going to let them charge again! This time we shall push into their lines and destroy them!" He raised his sword, and a man gave a blast of his trumpet. "Charge!" As his horse furiously galloped and his men fired their arrows, Burilgitei could only feel frustration of the sort only killing many enemy soldiers might resolve. To think I've been outwitted by Takeda Tokitsuna like this!

---

Night fell on the battlefield outside Fuchuu, the stench of death hanging in the air. Great pounding from the enemy battering ram kept Takeda's soldiers awake and alert as Takeda Tokitsuna gathered in council with most of his generals, listening to their opinions. Of those men I haven't sent elsewhere, only old Kaneko Moritada and that cavalryman Amano Totoki are too injured to show up here. We have done well indeed. Even though the day had been almost a complete success before the enemy threw their last reserves into battle, much danger still remained.

"Victory will soon be at hand," the youthful Shishido Tomotoki boasted, his head bandaged from a great blow he received in the battle. "I killed 20 men today and nearly took the head of an enemy commander and his lieutenant. Let us repeat our strategy tonight for tomorrow's fighting."

"Your ambush was successful, Lord Shishido, but had you been a few moments sooner, you'd have even killed more. Tomorrow you might not have even the luck you had," Tsubarai Nobutsugu warned. His whole body was covered in dirt and blood from his success in leading the scouts, yet perhaps from his exhaustion he didn't seem proud of his success.

"I agree with Lord Shishido. I've not seen his head, so I am certain my accursed cousin survives," Kobayakawa Tomohira concurred.

"If we continue to fight, our army will not survive," Houjou Munenaga pointed out. "Let us recall the enemy has four more armies of this size, and those armies may be even superior in quality and leadership."

"Correct," Komai Nobumura said. "At least 5,000 men are injured or dead and crucially many of them were our cavalrymen. It is very possible that we could sortie out now, drive off the enemy, and destroy him tomorrow, but it would not benefit us. We must save our strength for the next enemy."

"The next enemy we face will be one of crucial importance," Tokitsuna said. "For the nephew of the invader's leader, a man named Khayishan, is marching south to attack us. If we kill or capture him, then surely the enemy will cease invading our lands. With this information in mind, does anyone still care to fight at this place?"

The generals looked about the tent, remaining silent.

"Good, I am glad you understand," Takeda said. "Kobayakawa, I leave you with 100 horsemen and 1,500 foot soldiers to serve as our rear guard. Keep the enemy away until morning, and find 100 volunteers willing to die defending this pass."

"I will die here if I may kill my cousin Kagemune," Kobayakawa said.

"You will not, because I need your tenacity and skill for future battles," Tokitsuna said. "That is why Shishido will ensure you escape."

"I will do my best, my lord!" Shishido said.

"Save your best for our coming victory over Khayishan. Only when we do so can we truly say we are winning this war."

---
Ebara, Bitchuu Province, November 15, 1298​

Khayishan took stock of the dead, gazing out across the plain littered with bodies and the crows which fed on them. At least half of them were his own, men cut down by the fierce attacks of the Japanese heavy cavalry.

A few cavalrymen of the kheshig returned, their blond hair and Aleksandr Zakharievich leading them marking them as the Ever-Faithful Russian Life Guard. Even with a gruesome cut to his face and damaged armour, Aleksandr had fought valiantly in the battle. I owe this man my life. He singlehandedly kept alive my dream of becoming the next Khan.

"The enemy has completely fled the battlefield, Lord Khayishan," Aleksandr reported. "As we traveled, we killed a few stragglers and peasants who resisted us."

"Good work. Let us find Nanghiyadai, I want his account for why everything went so poorly."

The group walked across the battlefield to the house of a village leader who was being held hostage by the Yuan. Inside, Nanghiyadai sat where cooks had begun preparing a victory feast. The smell of roasting meat over the fire filled the air. Nanghiyadai himself had already poured himself a cup of rice wine, yet did not seem too drunk.

"Nanghiyadai, why did your men flee so easily as the Japanese attacked?"

"Flee? You know as well as I do that the Japanese were not supposed to use tactics like that. We've fought the Japanese for 25 years and none of them, not our allies in Japan nor or enemies, have used cavalry like that," his general replied.

"We were warned by Burilgitei's messenger what that army can do!" Khayishan retorted. "Why did you not heed those warnings as I did!"

"At the time, it was reasonable to assume Burilgitei sought excuses for his failure. There are many fine horsemen in Japan, after all."

"You're supposed to be the supreme leader of this invasion! Both of these disasters are on you! Make no mistake, the Great Khan will hear of this."

"That he may, but I've achieved great success so far. If I listened only to you, the entire kheshig would still be here. It is thanks to my advice that Khur-Toda and the Asud Guards are now with Tudghagh, and it is thanks to Tudghagh that we captured several provinces and castles and gained another powerful defector," Nanghiyadai explained as frustration filled Khayishan. "If you really wish to become your uncle's successor, then focus on the larger picture."

"Tch...dammit," Khayishan clenched his fist, knowing his general, for all his failings, had a point. I'll leave his fate to my uncle, but for now I'll permit him to remain in command.

"We cannot campaign much further this year," Nanghiyadai said. "We will spend the winter here in this province and wait until spring to move against that Takeda Tokitsuna who has vexed us so much."

"Very well. How will we conduct that operation when the time comes?"

"As we nearly surround Takeda, we will cut off all his supply lines as our warriors ravage the villages of his leaders. They will be demoralised they are not defending their fields, and they will fall in battle no matter how brilliantly they are led."

"Hmph, sounds simple enough," Khayishan said. He took a seat on the mat across from his general, motioning a servant to pour him some rice wine. "But what if we defeat him now?"

"His castle is in the mountains and winter is fast approaching. It would be a waste of our soldiers."

"Then let us use the Japanese," Khayishan proposed with a grim smile. "There must be many among them left disatisfied after their defeat. Burilgitei can lead them too--that will be the only chance he gets to avenge his dishonour. Consider it my order--I will assume all the risks for this."

"Bold and daring, my lord. But it is an option worth trying. Our ancestors never would have united the world without risking much."

---
Kamakura, Sagami Province, January 2, 1299​

Takeda Tokitsuna knelt in the audience chamber of the Shogun's residence, where that irksome regent Houjou Sadatoki sat before him. His equally irksome minister, Kudou Tokimitsu, sat there as well, listening to the whole conversation.

"That you are even standing in my presence tells me much about your personality, Takeda," Houjou growled. "Why has the 'Tiger of Aki' shown the enemy his tail and not his fangs?"

Tokitsuna took a deep breath, knowing he had no excuse. Even if he destroyed a vast amount of enemy soldiers and bogged them down for over a year, he had not defeated them.

"As I explained to your ministers of the Rokuhara Tandai several months ago, there are times one must step away from the fire."

Houjou's eyebrow twitched as he held his anger back.

"And that is how you explain your cowardice? Pathetic! Abandoning Aki was foolhardy as it was, but you let the enemy take Bingo as well. Your failure to defeat the invader has emboldened our enemies throughout Japan and now they rise up in rebellion and defect to the invader!"

Kudou whispered something into Houjou's ear, no doubt giving him terrible advice. Taira Yoritsuna's cruelty had merit to it, Kudou Tokimitsu's cruelty only indulges Lord Houjou's whims.

"I offer you two choices, Takeda," Houjou said. "Commit suicide, and I will see to it your clan is rewarded, as well as those of your generals. Or return to monastic life and forever be branded a coward. Perhaps your descendents will restore their honour one day."

Tokitsuna sat motionless, the words merely washing over him. Lord Houjou must be in a good mood today that he offers me such fine choices instead of even greater punishment.

"I thank you for your benevolence. I will spend the remainder of my life in contemplation."

"Wonderful! On behalf of your master the Shogun, I order you to take the first ship to Izu-Oshima, and you will remain on that island until your current life ends. Begone!"

With a simple bow, Tokitsuna rose from the mat and left the room without a further word. Even if he expected such an incident to occur, it left a bitter taste in his mouth. The invader is tearing this country apart, and our leaders chose to remove the man who so many seek to follow until their dying day. That folly repeated endlessly in history has found its way to our country.
---​

Summer of 1298 marked the beginning of the largest naval invasion undertaken in premodern times. Over 100,000 soldiers of Yuan China and Goryeo arrived at the shores of occupied Japan, an undertaking so vast that official Chinese and Korean histories estimated the total number as 250,000 men and 3,000 ships [4]. The armies transported scattered across the land, ready to aid those Mongols already present and the forces of the Kingdom of Japan in subduing the Japanese archepelago once and for all.

These reinforcements came as a great relief to Burilgitei, commander of all Mongol forces in Japan. He had lost nearly half of his army to a series of setbacks while invading Shikoku and Aki Province, and had little to show for it besides a beachhead on Shikoku and a few minor islands and towns in Aki Province conquered. It is said that he rode with little escort at great haste to profusely apologise before Nanghiyadai and Prince Khayishan, the two leaders of the invasion. Although he was publically reprimanded before several of his chief lieutenants, Burilgitei maintained his post and leadership.

In the meantime, Burilgitei's chief opponent Takeda Tokitsuna turned his attention toward the new invading force. Twenty thousand Yuan under Zhang Lin (張林), a marshal from a prominent Han family [5], struck south from Izumo Province to Bingo Province, immediately east of Aki. After destroying pro-Kamakura bandit forces, the Mongols began pillaging and attacking villages as they prepared to march against Takeda, outflanking and surrounding their foe. Encouraged by his ally Nagai Sadashige, son of the military governor of Bingo (and suppressor of Shouni Kagesuke's 1286 Tenkou Rebellion) Nagai Yorishige, Takeda chose to attack this fresh force rather than finish off the Kingdom of Japan's army.

Leaving 5,000 men behind in Aki, Takeda and Nagai marched to Bingo with men. Yorishige's hastily raised peasant forces added another 5,000 men. Takeda concealed his army's size by using the Nagai clan's force as bait. As Nagai made numerous fighting retreats, he wore down Zhang's forces and strained their logistics as Zhang tried completely destroying his enemy. Seizing the perfect moment, Takeda ordered a night raid on the enemy's camp at the ruins of the temple Ryuge-ji (龍華寺). Led by Komai Nobuyasu (駒井信安), son of Komai Nobumura. Komai's warriors killed hundreds, destroyed most of their supplies, and most importantly, captured dozens of enemy horses.

These Mongol horses were larger than the Japanese horses and quickly incorporated into the Japanese army. Takeda chose a steed from among them which Japanese chronicles claim had once been owned by the Yuan emperor himself and gifted to Zhang Lin. It appears Takeda was influenced by Burilgitei--and the Mongol use in general--of heavy cavalry charges, something extremely difficult on the smaller, lighter horses used by the Japanese.

As for Zhang's army, it disintegrated amidst the aftermath of the Ryuge-ji raid. Nagai's warriors alongside detatchments of Takeda's forces destroyed half of the army before Zhang received emergency reinforcements from Nanghiyadai. Condemned for his failure, Nanghiyadai sacked Zhang and sent him back to China, replacing him with his kinsman Zhang Gui (張珪).

Yet challenges began mounting against Takeda. In Aki, Burilgitei and his Japanese allies advanced. They captured the key fortress of Sakurao Castle after a siege and ravaged the province further, destroying the many fortifications and traps Takeda had set. The 5,000 warriors Takeda left in Aki harried Burilgitei's lines, but this was to little effect. Burilgitei understood he had every advantage in the world and kept his army in reserve, using it to loot and thoroughly subdue Aki Province and adjacent islands in the Inland Sea. Takeda's warriors were thus cut off and gradually reduced in number.

In one encounter in September 1298, their commander Kikkawa Tsunetaka attempted to ambush a sizable contingent of the Kingdom of Japan's forces under Mouri Tsunechika in a rainstorm. Although initially driving them back, Mouri rallied his men and captured Kikkawa, forcing the retreat of the remainder. The elderly Kikkawa famously killed himself by sharpening a twig with his teeth and then driving it through his neck.

Numbering only 3,000 at that point and commanded by Akiyama Mitsuie (秋山時信), Takeda ordered them to reinforce Sanuki Province and check his flank. Retreating in the face of 20,000 Yuan from the mainland under the veteran general Shi Bi (史弼), the force of three thousand crossed the Inland Sea in late October 1298 through the aid of the Kutsuna pirates. Alongside the Iyo Tandai, this force launched a major offensive that sank or captured several dozen Goryeo ships transporting supplies to their large force on the island.

The retreat of Akiyama Mitsuie marked the final battle in Aki Province. At a little over 4,000 km2 of land, subduing Aki cost the Mongols perhaps 20,000 lives, mostly the warriors of the Kingdom of Japan--for this reason, the aphorism "attacking Aki" in Japanese came to mean anything costly and delayed with dubious results at the end. Aki's people suffered immensely, with the province losing over half its population and much of its agricultural productivity, a disaster that took over two centuries to reverse. The military governor installed under the Mongol occupation, the defector Kobayakawa Kagemune (小早川景宗), would be a figure of hatred for centuries to come for his indifference to the people's suffering.

The Yuan forces met better success along the sea of Japan. Commanded by the Kipchak general Tudghagh, they quickly overwhelmed nearby Inaba Province. Opposed to them was a force of 25,000 warriors of the Kinai and the San'in regions assembled rapidly as a test of the new recruitment system of the Shogunate and imperial court. This force was commanded by the new Rokuhara Tandai deputy leader Houjou Sadaaki (北条貞顕), and due to its large number of warriors raised by the Sasaki clan, commanded by Sasaki Yoritsuna (佐々木頼綱). Many pirates of the Matsuura clan joined as well under their leader Matsuura Sadamu (松浦定).

Although Tudghagh commanded only 20,000 men, he noticed the Japanese forces were hastily assembled, poorly trained, and even more poorly led. A cavalry charge from his Asud warriors under Khur-Toda aimed directly at the Matsuura pirates drove a key wedge into enemy lines. Soon the Mongol forces overwhelmed Sasaki Yoritsuna and severely wounded him, leading to panic and an immediate retreat. Yuan victory was decisive, and soon thereafter Tajima Province fell into their hands.

The capture of Sasaki Yoritsuna, a prominent lord and military governor of Omi Province, proved a boon to the Mongols. He nutured many grudges against the Kamakura Shogunate for treatment of his clan and ruling against him in cases involving temple land, and had only maintained his loyalty out of belief that Mongol rule in Japan would prove ephemeral. As he recovered from his wounds, Sasaki wrote many messages encouraging rebellion of his kinsmen, sparking a guerilla war in Omi and adjacent provinces as the powerful Sasaki clan fell divided.

As for the main offensive against Takeda Tokitsuna, Khayishan and Nanghiyadai themselves advanced at the head of 20,000 men, joining forces with Zhang Gui's army for a total of 32,000 men. With not a single reinforcement from the Rokuhara Tandai, Takeda was now outnumbered. Additionally, he faced forces of similar number from Burilgitei and Shi Bi that after ravaging Aki now converged in Bingo, as well as periodic raids from the Inland Sea following Sashi Kisou's defeat of Kutsuna Hisashige's fleet.

Takeda decided an incredibly daring strategy--he would take 22,000 men himself and leave the remaining 3,000 under Nawa Yukitaka and Wakasa Nobutsuna to delay the enemy armies. He planned on defeating each enemy army in turn and force the Houjou to send reinforcements. Due to their size and familiarity with them, Burilgitei's force made his first target.

Takeda chose a narrow valley outside Bingo Province's old capital [6]. Bounded by the Ashida River and steep hills on either side, the only entrance to Takeda's position was a valley called Aratani (荒谷). Burilgitei requested Khayishan's force surround Takeda due to his strategic advantage--Khayishan turned down his request and demanded he attack.

Burilgitei set up trebuchets on the hillslopes as a prelude to his attack on November 4, 1298, but Takeda's scouts under his relative Tsubarai Nobutsugu (円井信継) destroyed them. Many took position in the hills around Aratani, laying in ambush. At sunrise, Takeda led a sudden cavalry charge, striking directly the center of Burilgitei's army and destroying yet more trebuchets. It was unlike any prior event in Japanese history and scythed through the unprepared Kingdom of Japan forces. Mouri Tokichika fell wounded in battle while his second son Chikamoto (毛利親元) perished, causing a great retreat as Takeda killed thousands before Burilgitei's reinforcements drove him off.

Having prepared for such a charge (if not one as severe), Burilgitei sent Gao Xing with 7,000 men strung out along the mountain path to strike at the tired Shogunate forces. Although Gao knew of the danger as he methodically advanced, he was unaware of Tsubarai's main force. At the moment Gao's men poured out of the side valley, Takeda signalled Tsubarai to attack. Gao's forces fell into chaos as the Shogunate infantry pushed into Aratani. Gao was wounded in battle helping his men escape and his lieutenant Zheng Quan (鄭釭) killed.

Takeda was not finished, for he launched yet another cavalry charge against Burilgitei's soldiers, just as unexpected as before. Clashing against veteran Mongol soldiers, the cavalry charge nonetheless surprised them and drove them back. Takeda's forces wheeled about again and charged once more, but this time Burilgitei awaited them. Their armour, too light for use as heavy cavalry, finally proved disadvantageous as the Shogunate was finally driven off. Takeda used the fall of night to escape with his army, crossing east to nearby Bitchuu Province.

The Battle of Aratani was yet another incredibly successful Takeda victory, and Burilgitei's most humiliating defeat. He lost around 9,000 men in exchange inflicting only light casualties on the enemy. Infuriated, he saw through Takeda's plans and repeated his strategy on the following day, easily overwhelming Takeda's defenders before laying waste to the villages near the old provincial capital.

UfcJK36.png

Diagram of the Battle of Aratani. Yuan in red, Shogunate in blue.

As for Takeda, he refused any time for celebration and attacked Nanghiyadai and Khayishan next as they attempted to loot Ebara Manor on November 15 [7]. The forces were equally matched, perhaps 18-20,000 men each. Takeda attacked the Yuan lines, breaking them up for a cavalry charge that once again surprised the Yuan. After the charge came the aggressive veteran warriors of Takeda's subordinates. Under this assault, the right of the Yuan army broke first, followed by the left.

But Khayishan's men in the center held fast due to his spirited leadership, permitting Nanghiyadai and his lieutenants to rally their forces and threaten Takeda's flanks. As Takeda attempted another cavalry charge, Khayishan's Russian Guard intercepted his forces first and drove them off. Although Takeda held out hopes for a victory, when he saw his lieutenant Amano Totoki (天野遠時) die in front of him, he begrudgingly rallied his men for an organised retreat.

In the fierce Battle of Ebara, each side had lost perhaps half their army, yet for Takeda these losses were unsustainable. Even so, Takeda held out for reinforcements and constructed a fortification on the border between Bitchuu and Mimasaka Province where his generals were to spend the winter and reorganise the army. Houjou Sadatoki considered this a shameful retreat--as a result, in 1299 Takeda was recalled to Kamakura. Once again, Takeda refused and entered monastic life. Command of his army devolved to Nagai Yorishige.

As for Takeda's army, word spread quickly of Takeda's dismissal, soon reaching the ears of Burilgitei and Mouri Tokichika who sought to avenge their earlier humiliation. Without awaiting reinforcements, they undertook a forced march through the snow and rapidly surrounded Kasuga Castle (小菅城), the main fortification near Ebara. The defenders were shocked to see the enemy arrive so quickly in such numbers in the midst of winter. A famous story from this moment tells that Nasu Suketada (那須資忠), son of the castellan Nasu Sukeie (那須資家), tried recreating the feat of his ancestor Nasu Yoichi (那須与一) by shooting an enemy banner. His arrow fell far short, and the enemy commander laughed and shouted back "what a shot!"--the same words Nasu Yoichi heard when his arrow struck its target [8].

Nasu's failure was only the first of many Shogunate failures in this siege. Kikuchi Takamori's siege troops found a weak point in the fortifications and quickly breached the walls, permitting Mongol forces to enter the castle. Nagai committed suicide alongside its elderly castellan Nasu Sukeie (那須資家), while Komai led a retreat from the castle, skirmishing with Burilgitei's warriors as he took numerous losses.

An additional 15,000 men of the Rokuhara Tandai under Houjou Tokinori (北条時範) had arrived to reinforce the remnants of Takeda's force, yet the constant snows prevented them from reaching there in time. Burilgitei's scouts discovered this force encamped around Hoita. The main body of Burilgitei's ambushed them during a snowstorm and drove them off in disarray, killing thousands. As Burilgitei linked up with Khayishan around February 1299, no one could say he had not redeemed himself.

Houjou Tokinori and his army took refuge in the ruins of Ki Castle (鬼ノ城), a large and ancient fortification which had lain in ruins for centuries--although proposed several times since 1281, the Shogunate had not repaired it due to its perceived distance from the frontlines. Although he invited Komai, now commander of the remnants of Takeda's army, Komai refused the invitation through feigning the need to quell mutiny in his forces. Curiously, Houjou did not punish Komai for disobeying orders, instead relying on him to strike the enemy in the rear. As two large Mongol forces approached, this ancient castle would become the site of great disaster for the Shogunate.

---
Author's notes

This chapter is rather indulgent on the dialogue at the beginning, but hopefully illustrative of the fierce struggles faced by both sides. I probably won't do that much again, at least not until the climax of this story. As ever, much of it is based on actual history--Gao Xing was praised for preserving part of the Yuan army in the retreat from Java, Kobayakawa Kagemune notoriously feuded with his relatives for years over succession rights the Kamakura Shogunate denied him.

The notion of "Takeda cavalry" is notoriously ahistoric and a pop culture thing based on successful cavalry use by Takeda Shingen (Tokitsuna's distant descendent) on several occasions (i.e. Mikatagahara). A true cavalry charge was not known in Japan (in contrast to China or Europe) because Japanese horses are small and lack the stamina to carry a rider in full armour on horseback (in addition to necessary barding). Hence captured Mongol horses (larger, actually used for charges) might shift things, and even with smaller horses, it might be possible to do something like this with them. Against an unprepared foe like the Kingdom of Japan's warriors or Mongols who don't believe the Japanese use such tactics, it could do significant damage in battle.

[1] - The dou-maru (胴丸) was commonly worn by infantry in this era, including high-ranking samurai, but had not made the transition to being worn by cavalrymen yet as it would just a few decades later. It was lighter and easier to fight in than the heavier oyoroi (大鎧), which was preferred by elite samurai cavalrymen but by the Nanboku-cho Wars became relegated to ceremonial use only.
[2] - Uriyankhadai, son of Subotai, led successful expeditions to Tibet, Vietnam, Yunnan, and several other places in that vicinity, as well as aided Kublai Khan's rise to power and served alongside his father around the world. His son Aju was among the most successful Yuan generals in the conquest of Song.
[3] - I cannot find the exact length of the Yuan dynasty li, but it was probably around 350-420 meters
[4] - What ATL's History of Yuan (元史) and History of Goryeo (高麗史) would say, and the numbers which would enter the popular imagination. The numbers in East Asian chronicles, as elsewhere, are often overstated.
[5] - There were two different families surnamed Zhang, each from the area of modern Hebei, who descended from prominent Jin dynasty defectors and held very high ranks among ethnic Han for the entirety of the Yuan Dynasty. While I can't find much on Zhang Lin, I am going to assume he was related to one of these families.
[6] - Today in Fuchu, Hiroshima Prefecture--this is on the western outskirts of that city. Despite being a provincial capital, this was like many others and never was more than a regional town in importance. By the late Kamakura era, Bingo Province's capital was little more than a village.
[7] - Properly Ebara-no-shou, a shouen (manor) in Bitchuu Province. Today it lays within the city of Ibara, Okayama Prefecture.
[8] - The Japanese warrior of this era often consciously referenced Heike Monogatari in their actions, as this incident (based on an OTL incident referenced in the Taiheiki, although not with someone of the Nasu clan) demonstrates.

Once again, the idiocy and pride of the Houjou had cost them another chance to drive out the Mongol rats and their toadies. Perhaps it's time the Takeda seek their fortunes with them, and bide their time there.

Last edited:
Another great chapter as always, hopefully the Mongols can crush the Shogunate soon and depose the incompetent Houjou, looking forward to them finally conquering the whole of Japan.

loved the dialogue pieces, though for such a frustrating demotion Takeda sure held his breath. And Japanese Cavalry style is fledgling, waiting to see how far it will go.
Perhaps it's time the Takeda seek their fortunes with them, and bide their time there.
Takeda should definitely pull a Themistocles and go join the Mongols once the Shogunate gets creamed
Agree with this, Houju are too full of themselves

I thought the next chapter was going to be another part of the Honshu campaign, but instead I plan on showing the battles on Shikoku and the situation there, since its kind of important. I may or may not include another map, and it will also have some stuff with Goryeo and its internal politics, including a dispute between two prominent women.
Different historical period, but this would be fine theme music for this chapter.
True enough. There will be much of that to come, since the area is directly north of the snowiest place in the world.
Always wondered why medieval armies didn’t make use of avalanche like in the Mulan film. Fantastic portrayal as always, you have a knack of depicting tensions in character during battle.
Thanks. Ironically I've been trying to move more away from that, but my last chapter shows I frequently get carried away.
Fantastic TL, subscribed and very much looking forward to see where this goes.
Thank you!
Once again, the idiocy and pride of the Houjou had cost them another chance to drive out the Mongol rats and their toadies. Perhaps it's time the Takeda seek their fortunes with them, and bide their time there.
To be fair, if you claw yourself to power as the Houjou clan did in the early 13th century, you aren't likely to relinquish it easily to some upstart who keeps winning, or at least losing less, even if said upstart technically outranks you (being a Minamoto descendent and all).

That said, Houjou Sadatoki was someone who had the fortune of being born at the time he did, since his rule was extremely erratic and could have easily led to disaster. I notice I write him closer to descriptions of his son and successor Takatoki, who one English historian notes was "scarcely sane. His judgement was poor, his conduct erratic. He indulged in extremes of luxury and debauch..." But I suspect the stress of the declining Shogunate did a lot on Takatoki, given his father's policies was equally erratic and caused lots of unnecessary conflicts, and there is a good reason the whole system collapsed so quickly.
Takeda should definitely pull a Themistocles and go join the Mongols once the Shogunate gets creamed
Another great chapter as always, hopefully the Mongols can crush the Shogunate soon and depose the incompetent Houjou, looking forward to them finally conquering the whole of Japan.
The result is still quite up in the air, but next 3-4 chapters should start showing which direction things are going.
loved the dialogue pieces, though for such a frustrating demotion Takeda sure held his breath. And Japanese Cavalry style is fledgling, waiting to see how far it will go.
Thank you. The Houjou are simply following the same self-preservation that got them their position, given they consistently eliminated every potential threat over the 13th century. Takeda knows he is getting off with a light punishment, given that Houjou Sadatoki staged very public assassinations on his own ministers and their allies twice (as OTL) and Sadatoki's ancestors massacred entire clans like the Wada and Miura (and their lesser allies) and even crushed the forces of a former Emperor (Go-Toba), exiling him and barring his descendents from the throne due to the challenge they posed to their position. The message was always clear in the Kamakura era--do not even give the impression you are challenging the Houjou's authority, lest you be prepared to lose everything.
Seems like the ridiculousness of the Houjou is the only thing that will make people even remotely throwing their lot in with foreigners.
That's not saying much since the Houjou are omnipresent in the Shogunate. There are several hundred clan members alive in this era, each of them eligible for various important positions. Their network of personal vassals (i.e. the Andou clan) is substantial and often favoured over the broader Shogunate vassals (i.e. Takeda and his generals), to say nothing of non-Shogunate vassal warriors (OTL example would be the famous Kusunoki Masashige--as a spoiler, his OTL father will show up soon) who get even less. Naturally, they get blamed for everything.

I would say personal greed is probably just as important of a reason to defect, especially once the Mongols set up the more "reasonable" Kingdom of Japan as a vassal. It is worth nothing that in the 14th century, the concept of "loyalty above all" was not as widespread among the samurai compared to "money/land above all." This is why men frequently switched allegiance between Northern and Southern courts, including Ashikaga Takauji himself.

I would say personal greed is probably just as important of a reason to defect, especially once the Mongols set up the more "reasonable" Kingdom of Japan as a vassal. It is worth nothing that in the 14th century, the concept of "loyalty above all" was not as widespread among the samurai compared to "money/land above all." This is why men frequently switched allegiance between Northern and Southern courts, including Ashikaga Takauji himself.
I mean, "loyalty above all" wasn't true even in the Sengoku Jidai. Akechi Mitsuhide infamously betrayed Nobunaga Oda at Honnoji Temple, while Kobayakawa Hideaki turned on the Toyotomi at Sekigahara. If anything, it was the ninjas that displayed far more steadfast loyalties despite their disreputable methods, whereas the samurai were more eager for Klingon Promotions.

I mean, "loyalty above all" wasn't true even in the Sengoku Jidai. Akechi Mitsuhide infamously betrayed Nobunaga Oda at Honnoji Temple, while Kobayakawa Hideaki turned on the Toyotomi at Sekigahara. If anything, it was the ninjas that displayed far more steadfast loyalties despite their disreputable methods, whereas the samurai were more eager for Klingon Promotions.
It was especially not true in the Sengoku Jidai. It's really a product of Tokugawa period romanticism.

Chapter 14-Blood Red Sea, Blood Red Island
-XIV-
"Blood Red Sea, Blood Red Island"

Saginomori Castle, Iyo Province, 1298​

Seeing such a mortal enemy of his clan in such a state pleased Kim Heun so much it took all his willpower to stay calm. Hong Jung-gyeon, son of the bastard who slandered my father for decades, tortured him, and sent him to his death, begging for my help? Truly this world has gone mad!

"A matter only I can help you with? That will be a difficult matter, Lord Hong. I am just a humble servant of Goryeo's king, carrying out his will, and our king entrusts those men Cho Seo and Yeom Se-chung with much. Surely their army will be sufficient."

"A-are you not the commander of the Goryeo forces in Japan, Lord Kim? You can do so much to aid our cause if you appoint more suitable leaders!"

"Like who? Your friend Gi Ja-oh? He is too young and inexperienced even by the standards of our generals on this expedition."

Hong held his hand to his face, trying to control his sweat. Kim saw right through him--Hong clearly wanted the honour of leading the force to crush those Japanese who kept raiding their supply lines. Even Kim could admit it was a tempting proposition--Cho and Yeom were talentless bureaucrats with little military experience besides mopping up the rabble from Qadaan's rebellion several years prior. Neither had ever been to Japan, unlike Hong who hardly left Japan these past few years.

"Not all allies are friends, Lord Kim," Hong said. "I favour Lord Gi as a fellow warrior and trust his talent and expertise."

"Weeds in a rice paddy soak up precious water and sunlight as they strangle that which is desired," Kim mused. "They propogate themselves by whatever means necessary."

"Tch..." Hong's face grew red as Kim's wit pierced him. No matter his talent or connections, I would dishonour my father if I let any descendent of that traitor Hong Bok-wan and his accursed son get what they wanted from me without a struggle.

"Lord Kim, please consider how the offspring of the rabbit and the offspring of the fox hold no enmity to each other," Hong said, trying a different route.

"Hmm," Kim nodded in agreement. "You are correct, yet each generation ends the same way every time."

"Yet if the fox is confronted by wolves, the fox and wolves will clash over the rabbit. Does this not change the generations?"

"I suppose you would be correct, but the fox and rabbit will never work together. They will never see on the same level and their goals and motive differ entirely."

"But if the rabbit offers its children to the fox..." Hong said, his voice so shaky Kim couldn't help but chuckle.

"If the children are as worthless as the parent, what good is it then?" Kim said with a smirk. If I take his daughter as a concubine or give her to one of my younger brothers, then I'll surely gain much of what Hong's family is building in Liaoyang and elsewhere, but I know I can get far more from Hong than just that.

"If the children are the only thing standing between starvation and success, even the most worthless cub contributes something in strengthening the body of the fox who consumes them. Few creatures desire starvation over success, for survival is victory. Even the fox may triumph over the wolves in a situation like that."

"I like where this is going," Kim said. "Clearly you've found yourself in a difficult situation." Cho and Yeom are too well-connected. If they win, they will gain every credit for it. After attacking this country four times in my life, it is the natural order of things an experienced man like me gains that success instead. Yet if they lose, then Cho's father will surely feel that blow as well and the King will be forced to rely on my own allies.

To Kim, the choice was obvious--let his mortal rival pay him for the privilege of taking the most reasonable--and moral--course of action.

"Yet I like this proposal. Very well then, the fox shall consume the children of the rabbit, yet the rabbit shall bear him no enmity for the fox will drive off the wolves. I am certain that the rabbit shall also part with his burrow and let the fox roam freely on his lands." The Hong clan still owns much in Goryeo--I shall take that for myself as well.

"C-correct, Lord Kim. That is true," Hong replied, accepting the deal.

"It is truly heaven's will that we might come to mutual understanding, Lord Hong." Kim said with a smile. "I am sure we will learn more about this situation in a time soon to come," he added, gesturing Hong to leave with his hand. Hong bowed before scurrying out of the room, no doubt infuriated by Kim's harsh conditions. As for Cho and Yeom, it is clear I cannot allow them to succeed, yet how might I do so without damaging my army? Perhaps I send them on the sort of mission Hong Dagu sent my father?

---
Near Awashima, Inland Sea, March 31, 1299​

Aboard the large pirate ship that served as their flagship, Kutsuna Hisashige met the other generals in council. They seemed to be in a dour mood, a stark contrast to the smile on Hisashige's face. Either they are seasick, or they know not what I have discovered.

"My lords, we attack at sunset," Hisashige announced. "With the enemy being so scattered and low in morale, they will surely be destroyed, the only question is through which means we destroy them."

The others looked at each other in surprise and dismay at Hisashige's confidence.

"What possibly makes you believe that? Are we not facing a force with far more ships and sailors, and better ships at that?" Naganuma Munehide said.

"I concur," their guest general from Honshu, Akiyama Mitsuie said. "A wise leader speaks not of his inevitable success, a foolish leader speaks not of his inevitable failure."

"You may serve the Iyo Tandai, but you lack the information networks my clan controls," Hisashige explained. "The ship captains who work for me and our allies among the sailors of the Murakami clan have seen it themselves--numerous enemy ships simply fleeing or even fighting amongst themselves. Their camp burns with disorder, and our role is simply fanning those flames until it consumes all."

"Typical Kutsuna nonsense," Naganuma muttered under his breath. That comment just earned you and your vassals the role of rearguard. There will be little glory for you in this coming victory.

"E-even if they are disoriented like that," Akiyama started, "Their main force will still be powerful, will it not?"

"You are not a sailor, Lord Akiyama, so you would not understand. But a ship can never be superior to its crew, much as the finest sword can never hope to be wielded by an untested warrior. Our enemies are unworthy of their ships, and we will take them off their hands with our valour."

"I wish I enjoyed your confidence, Lord Kutsuna," Naganuma said. "We must be cautious and fight the enemy ship to ship."

"Hmm, if these are Goryeo sailors, they are not likely to be as experienced as Lord Kutsuna's pirates or my soldiers," Akiyama mused. "If we take them by surprise, then we stand a great chance at victory."

"Thus we need to increase our rowing speed," Hisashige said. "I will order our crews to rest until the agreed-upon time to attack, then we shall pounce on our prey. Does anyone have any other questions or proposals?"

Both Akiyama and Naganuma said nothing, nor did the lesser men sitting behind them. Perfect. I will show Goryeo the terror of the sea, and I will show the Shogunate the value of dealing fairly with my men.

---
Sanuki Province, May 30, 1299​

Everything was working perfectly for Hong Jung-gyeon. His schemes resulted in the execution of his political foes, the scheme to entrap him in a battle against a greater fleet backfired tremendously with his own victory, and now he was even receiving reinforcements. Hong rode toward the still-smoldering house in the ruins of the village, where a few rough Japanese pirates awaited him.

"Are you that bastard Hong Jung-gyeon we're meeting here?" one pirate spoke, his accent almost impossible to understand. By the looks of the man with his scars and unkempt beard and hair, Hong doubted he spoke any language at all but the babbling of barbarians. Hong stopped and jabbed his spear toward the man.

"Don't speak to your superior like that, cur," he growled, but the pirate simply laughed.

"Don't speak to the man giving you reinforcements like that," the pirate said. "I'm Sashi Kisou, ruler of the Matsuura. Apologise, or I'm keeping these men for my own needs."

Hong grit his teeth, amazed that such an undistinguished man before him was that pirate lord he heard all about, the one without which the Mongols stood no chance of commanding the loyalty of Kyushu's pirates--or of rooting out the pirates of the Inland Sea.

"My apologies, Lord Sashi. I was unaware you preferred such humble adornment."

"Hah, I certainly do. It makes me one of my crew, those men on whose backs I rose to commanding a fleet and ruling countless villages." What false humility! He'd be nothing but a failed claimant to his father's property if not for our intervention in this nation!

"As I have requested, I will take 1,000 of your men to replenish my own forces. We will need them to capture Kiyama, the great fortress on this corner of the island."

Sashi scratched his head before simply smirking.

"Ask more kindly for my men, for I need them as well. There are dozens, no, hundreds of islands in this sea, and each one might hold a base from which our enemies strike. My force will scour every single one of them."

Hong sighed, annoyed by Sashi's arrogance.

"Please lend me those forces, Lord Sashi," Hong said.

"Good. I now permit you to command 1,000 men, Lord Hong," Sashi said. He and his crew started walking toward a rowboat, waiting to return to his ship anchored offshore. "I must return to scouring various islands and dealing with those pirates who refuse to fight under the proper banner."

Something about Sashi's remark grabbed Hong's attention. Perhaps it was the ruins around him in which he spoke it. No doubt his arrogance derives in part from his success. When I sailed here, I found not a single ship and all manner of devastated islands. He is driving out every living human from these islands in his quest against our foes--what brilliance!

"Lord Sashi, I have another request for you."

Sashi stopped and turned around, suddenly smiling.

"What of it?"

"Where are you taking those households you drive from these islands?"

His smile grew even more grim.

"Mostly to hell. Even small children fight back when their parents die in front of them."

"Kill fewer if you can," Hong said. "Put the islanders in chains and contact the government in Hakata. I have a place that will be beneficial to the both of us to send them to."

"I don't know about that," Sashi said. "Sending those who fight against us to hell is beneficial as it is."

"My clan ships men to hell, yet we also ship men, women, and children to a place little better than hell, those frozen lands of Liaoyang. The latter is easier for our Great Khan to tax. Consider my offer well, Lord Sashi, and you will benefit."

---
Sukumo, Tosa Province, October 2, 1299​

Utsunomiya Yasumune lived for moments such as this. In this battle he already slew countless foes with his great spear and now he even clashed with the enemy general! That man, someone who served the Miura clan--he could only hope it was Yorimori or one of his sons--was already on the defensive, for Yasumune's quick thrusts skewered him right above the knee, slowing him down.

For several minutes now the two remained locked in intense combat, dueling each other in what might as well be a scene from the Heike Monogatari. Surely the poets of the future would speak gloriously of this duel, even if he lost--not that he would of course. Each swing of the enemy's sword, each thrust of Yasumunne's spear, it would soon be engraved on the pages of history. How rare are duels like this in this era when our enemy fights with such cowardice! Even skilled Japanese warriors like this man fight as the invader, for he has not told me his name even as I announced mine!

He blocked another strike of the man's sword with his spear and kicked the man right where he had wounded him before hopping back and aiming right for his face. But his opponent still moved quick enough to lean around that blow and closed the distance. Yasumune tried blocking, but his enemy practically fell forward and sliced at his hip. The instant he winced from the pain, he missed his own blow and could only kick his foe away as he turned about to face him and block his next blow. So he still has some stamina left.

To Yasumune annoyance, his own allies were running toward him now. What the hell are you doing? Surround the enemy and let me take their leader's head! One of his foremost retainers, the old veteran Haga Takanao, led the charge as the furious duel continued. Right as Haga reached him however, the enemy stepped back and with a stroke of his hand beheaded him with a single cut before dashing right toward Yasumune.

Even with Haga's death, Yasumune grinned, thinking he had his foe now. Trying to show off like that will cost you your life! With nothing but the thought of vengeance for that old man he trusted no much, he thrust straight at the enemy's heart, hoping to skewer his foe with his own momentum. But his foe dove to the ground and with a single slide knocked Yasumune to the ground before scrambling to his feet. He looked down at Yasumune for an instance as Yasumune raised his spear preparing to block.

"That you survive against I, Miura Tokiaki, proves your worth. It is a pity you serve the wrong master!"

The man rushed off toward his own lines, cutting down one of Yasumune's retainers as he dismounted. Another retainer helped Yasumune to his feet.

"Are you okay, my lord?" the retainer asked.

"That coward ran off. How shameful!" Yasumune replied. "Damn that Miura Tokiaki! To repel every thrust of my spear and wound me like this...!" Yasumune felt a sharp pain as he tried to walk, knowing at once the enemy's last attack twisted his ankle. To his annoyance, he noticed men toward his right retreating. What are those cowards doing! We are winning!

"My lord, the men believe you have been killed in battle. They are fearful the enemy has won." Tch, if I hadn't wasted so much time with the enemy's leader, we'd be winning already.

"Get me a horse, a bow, and a quiver of arrows, now! I will recover our momentum in this battle, or at the very least be the last man to leave this battlefield!"

"Yes sir, my lord!" His retainer rushed off toward a dismounting warrior, asking for the goods as Yasumune fumed with annoyance. Worthless peasants, not even able to stand in battle against your treacherous countrymen without me guiding you! No wonder the invader has pressed so far into our country!

---​

The smallest of the major islands of the Japanese archipelago is Shikoku, so named for its four provinces--Iyo, Sanuki, Tosa, and Awa. It bounds the island-strewn Inland Sea, a crucial transportation artery between Kyushu and Honshu and all western Japan. Although plagued by piracy, it was far better integrated with Kyoto and Kamakura than Kyushu. Ever since the powerful lord Kawano Michiari (河野通有) and his brothers gave their lives defending Japan in the Kou'an Invasion decades prior, Shikoku's lords were fierce opponents of the Mongols and their puppet Kingdom of Japan. Twice they had expelled Mongol invaders from their island, and with their position in the Inland Sea hindered Mongol logistics in every invasion. Thus this peripheral island was to play a crucial role in the Mongol ambition to conquer Japan.

Unlike elsewhere, the Houjou clan still enjoyed much popularity in Shikoku. Much of this can be attributed to the success of the Iyo Tandai Houjou Tokikane. He greatly improved relations with local clans, crushed pirates or incorporated them into pro-Shogunate structures, and settled local disputes. Unlike his kinsmen in Kamakura, Tokikane was well aware of the need for defense and built or improved many castles, including the large and ancient Asuka period fortress of Einousan Castle (永納山城) [1]. So well defended was Shikoku that Tokikane provided the sole reinforcements to Takeda Tokitsuna in 1297 and 1298--500 warriors under Hosokawa Kimiyori fought under him and his subordinates Kikkawa Tsunetaka and Akiyama Mitsuie before they retreated to Iyo in October 1298.

Houjou acted to secure the loyalties of Tosa's clans in a manner few of his kinsmen would have. He used various means to pressure the Houjou clan into transferring their Shikoku lands to him, and these lands he used as a means of rewarding service. Such is illustrated by land ownership in Shikoku--in most provinces, the Houjou controlled 20-30% of the land, but in the four provinces of Shikoku, this number was as low as 10% in Tosa Province and highest in Iyo Province at 17%. In the process, he practically impoverished himself and the entire Fuonji (普恩寺) branch of the Houjou, yet gained a network of highly loyal vassals who provided the Iyo Tandai with the patronage it needed to function.

Takeda and his subordinates ranked as the Shogunate's most adaptive commanders, and with his general Akiyama now in Sanuki with 3,000 men, this tactical adaption now reached Shikoku. Akiyama's force joined alongside 2,000 Kutsuna clan pirates and 2,000 men of the small Awaji Province under its military governor Naganuma Munehide (長沼宗秀) and captured or sank over 30 of Goryeo's ships supporting their military invasion in October and November 1298.

Hong Jung-gyeon, leader of the Mongol Invasion of Shikoku, ordered the reinforcements from the mainland he received to eliminate this threat. However, Hong was a very unpopular figure in Goryeo due to his and his father's constant scheming, and the well-connected Goryeo generals knew he would usurp any success for his own benefit. This immediately impeded any counterattack--far from the 20,000 men Hong wished to send, a token force of only 10,000 emerged under the dual leadership of Cho Seo (趙瑞) and Yeom Se-chung (廉世忠).

This operation coincided with a period of great infighting in the Korean royal court which constrained Goryeo operations throughout most of 1298. In June 1297, Queen Jangmok (莊穆), primary consort of King Chungnyeol and aunt of Temur Khan, died suddenly. Her son, Crown Prince Wang Won (王謜), announced she had been poisoned and led a great purge of the Korean court (including executing his father's favourite concubine) and effectively usurped power from his father. Even as Goryeo had pledged to join the 4th invasion of Japan, this political purge led to a variety of new, inexperienced generals gaining military command over Goryeo's military on the basis of nepotism.

These purges culminated in the abdication of King Chungnyeol himself. Disgusted by the conflict and furious with his son, Chungnyeol begged the Yuan for permission to abdicate. This permission was granted in early 1298, and thus Wang Won ascended the throne as King Chungseon (忠宣) while his father retreated to the life of pleasure he preferred over military and political affairs.

This palace coup was not without enemies and internal factions in Goryeo quickly realigned, especially as King Chungseon sought a more independent policy for Goryeo. A pro-Yuan faction accused Chungseon of neglecting his primary consort Queen Budashiri (宝塔実憐), Temur Khan's niece, in favour of Lady Cho, daughter of the powerful politician Cho In-gyu (趙仁規). The entire year of 1298 would feature much scheming and slander from both factions.

Hong and his brother (who remained in Liaoyang subduing rebels and helping keep the Mongol and Ezo Shogunate forces supplied). The Goryeo forces refused to deal with the brothers, for King Chungseon had defacto banished Hong Jung-hui from his court in 1298 when he came to seek supplies, reinforcements, and colonists. As Cho Seo and Yeom Se-chung were Cho In-gyu's son and son-in-law respectively, this choice of leaders was a clear assault on the Hong clan's position.

But Hong Jung-gyeon was always a craft schemer, and recruited internal allies from the Goryeo leadership. First was Gi Ja-oh (奇子敖), who was well-connected in both Yuan and Goryeo--Gi siding with the Hong clan was obvious to all. Yet to the shock of all, Hong managed to make peace with Kim Heun (金忻), son of his father's arch-rival Kim Bang-gyeon. As Kim had served in every attack on Japan since the Bun'ei Invasion of 1274, it seems likely Kim desired victory first. Convinced by Hong and Gi to blame Cho for the setbacks in late 1298, Kim acquiesced to Hong's scheme.

Firstly, the schemers postponed expedition against Akiyama and his Shogunate forces until spring, instead using the winter to consolidate his position, bring in settlers from Goryeo and Kyushu to re-establish local farms and villages, and scout out enemy positions on sea and land. The latter proved costly, but did keep Shogunate forces on edge.

Secondly, when the expedition finally did emerge, the schemers provoked a mutiny aboard several of the ships, forcing nearly 3,000 men and 25 ships to return to the main Mongol base at Saginomori Castle in Iyo Province. This left Cho and Yeom leading an understrength and demoralised force with barely 7,000 men and 50 ships.

The result was predictable--on March 31, 1299, Akiyama Mitsuie and Kutsuna Hisashige struck with 6,000 men and 70 ships off the island of Awashima in Sanuki Province. Seeing they were outnumbered, Cho and Yeom attempted to retreat before the battle even started, but the currents and winds permitted the Shogunate forces to catch up to them. They were driven to the beaches of Awashima, where Naganuma Munehide awaited them with 2,000 additional men. Trapped at every side, scarcely 2,000 Koreans escaped for both Cho and Yeom fled the battlefield early--the Shogunate captured 30 ships that day.

Cho and Yeom were immediately arrested upon their return to Saginomori, charged with cowardice, abuse of their soldiers, embezzlement, and immorality, and executed. News of their arrest and details of the shocking defeat were sent to Goryeo, where it proved the final straw for Cho In-gyu's faction. Cho In-gyu was arrested and banished to China while Chungseon was forced to abdicate after months of resisting. King Chungnyeol reluctantly returned from exile and once again accepted the Goryeo throne--his long history of supporting the Yuan and his marriage to Temur's aunt made him the only realistic choice. Tension from this incident would linger for the next decade however and play a defining role in Goryeo politics.

As for the Goryeo forces in Japan, Kim Heun received absolute authority over the remaining army. A connected figure in both Yuan and Goryeo, Kim managed to reinforce his army, although obtaining more ships proved difficult. He gave Hong overall leadership of the fleet and dispatched him and Hong's Zhengdong forces to seize Sanuki Province alongside 10,000 soldiers led by his brother-in-law Chae Hong-cheol (蔡洪哲). The total size of the army numbered 15,000 men and 70 ships.

This force advanced separately by land and sea, with Hong scouring Awashima Island, allegedly killing every male villager over the age of 5. The remainder were deported to Liaoyang as spouses for soldiers in his brother's army--allegedly an island in that region also became called Awashima (粟島) after these deportees. The two armies intended to meet at Amagiri Castle (天霧城), a major fortification protecting Sanuki that served as Akiyama's base.

However, Chae Hong-cheol faced repeated raids from Akiyama and Kutsuna's force, eroding his strength and belaying his arrival for several weeks. In frustration, Chae ordered Hong to transport his army to Amagiri by sea, but Hong refused out of fear of further dividing his forces that were needed for the siege of Amagiri Castle, where its commander, Hosokawa Kimiyori, resisted the siege with only 1,000 men against the Kingdom of Japan's forces.

Eventually, Hong was given a direct order by Kim Heun to release the ships necessary. Leaving 2,000 men at Amagiri, Hong set off on May 1, 1299 with 5,000 men and 60 ships. To his misfortune, on May 6, he was ambushed by a combined Kutsuna-Iyo Tandai fleet of 15,000 men and 120 ships, a fleet commanded by Ogasawara Nagatane (小笠原長種), a senior officer of the Iyo Tandai, attacked Hong off Ibukijima (伊吹島).

Although dreadfully outnumbered, Hong's force had superior ships and technology, including bomb-throwing trebuchets that let him keep a distance. Further, Hong ordered his men to concentrate their numbers on several large ships, an easy task for his fleet was undermanned, using a wall of ships as decoys to draw the enemy attention. The Japanese force expended their energy largely attacking these ships manned primarily by daring warriors from the Kingdom of Japan. As the wind shifted in Hong's favour, he launched a fire ship attack that burnt twenty of his ships in exchange for sixty enemy ships, spreading chaos in the enemy lines as his remaining forces slipped away. Although he did not capture a single enemy ship and lost 2,000 warriors, he won a clear victory.

Shogunate losses at Ibukijima were considerable--eighty ships were lost alongside 7,000 men. Kutsuna and Houjou blamed each other for the defeat, resulting in the greatly reduced participation from their clan. Fortunately for Houjou Tokikane, the Iyo Tandai could still report success from the action. Seeing Hong depart with the majority of his force, Hosokawa Kimiyori had used the moment to sortie forth and drive off the men besieging Amagiri Castle on May 2, 1299, the enemy being caught completely unaware. Those who survived Hosokawa hunted down and destroyed in the mountains of Sanuki.

In correspondance with the aggressive Mongol thrust eastward on Honshu in spring 1299, the forces on Shikoku were quickly reinforced with new Japanese warriors. Sashi Kisou, Matsuura clan defector and pirate lord, was given 70 ships and 8,000 men to campaign in the Inland Sea and raid Shikoku. Sashi's actions kept the Iyo Tandai busy and contributed much to isolating Shikoku.

As a pirate, Sashi understood clearly how to fight pirates. He bribed pirates in the Inland Sea to either join him or give him their charts, obtaining accurate knowledge of local conditions. This knowledge he used to destroy bases of pro-Shogunate pirates and their navies and shipping, and often to simply plunder islands himself. Reliant on Hong Jung-gyeon for his salary, Sashi's men committed brutal depredations to secure their own paycheck and fund Hong's grand schemes. Villages were razed, boats confiscated, and slaves frequently taken, often facing deportation to Liaoyang. By this means, Sashi grinded his way across the Inland Sea, totally depopulating dozens of villages before he met significant resistance on the large island of Shoudoshima.

With the seas now cleared, Hong and Chae attempted their operation again. This time Chae crushed Akiyama Mitsuie's force through baiting him into attacking a much larger force, wounding him in battle and leaving only 500 survivors of his initial 2,500 men. At sea, Hong did not encounter a single enemy ship, for the Kutsuna pirates had lost most of their force and refused to face the Mongols in battle. The Goryeo army besieged and captured Amagiri Castle, eliminating the primary obstacle.

With 15,000 warriors, Hong and Chae marched against Kiyama Castle (城山城), another large ancient fortification partially repaired by Houjou Tokikane. Perhaps the most imposing castle on the island from its huge size, it defended the town of Sakaide, capital of Sanuki Province [2]. Capturing this fortress would make Sanuki practically indefensible, for repairing Kiyama and Einousan had cost so much that Yashima Castle (屋嶋城), the third ancient fortress on the island, was still mostly ruins. Around 10,000 Japanese led by Ogasawara Nagatane, defended this castle. It is said Ogasawara eagerly volunteered to lead his men to defend the castle,for he sought to redeem himself after his failure at Ibukijima. In his determination for redemption, Ogasawara rarely ate or drank as he commanded the siege.

Houjou Tokikane seized on this large enemy force to attack enemy holdings in Iyo, including Saginomori Castle. With a large army of 20,000 men, he marched against Saginomori in June 1299, outnumbering Kim Heun's force 2-1. Only Kim's commander Gi Ja-oh's raids slowed down Houjou's advance enough for Kim to relay a request for assistance.

This request met the ears of general Shi Bi, whose forces largely served as a reserve. Their role, relegated to hunting partisans, besieging holdout castles, and subjugating remote mountian valleys, was not considered prestigious, much to the chagrin of people like Shi's chief lieutenant Korguz. Korguz, who sought glory for the Christian God and the Ongud Turks he led, found himself reassigned to Shikoku with 6,000 warriors, mainly Turks, Mongols, and other Central Asians.

Korguz and Kim marched out to meet Houjou's army, despite commanding only 15,000 warriors. Korguz launched many hit and run attacks on Houjou, leading them in a feigned retreat over several days that ended at the village of Imai (今井) somewhat south of Saginomori. There in early July, Kim and Korguz's army converged and attacked Houjou from both flanks.

But Houjou's force was strong and full of veteran warriors. The warriors on the flanks, commanded by Kawano Michitada and Chousokabe Shigetaka (長宗我部重高), did not buckle easily and defended the center well enough that discipline held in the entire army. Korguz's cavalry and horse archers became bogged down against Kawano's men, holding only because of their commander's spirited leadership. Kim's soldiers were less lucky--largely inexperienced and their officers riven with factional tension, they broke first to Kawano Michitada's men. Upon seeing Kim retreat, Korguz retreated as well, albeit in a more orderly fashion.

The Shogunate could not follow up their victory at Imai, for Houjou Tokikane soon became ill and died several days later [3]. Further, the Japanese had lost around 4,000 men, a sizable amount compared to the 6,000 enemy dead. As they retreated to Einousan Castle in despair, Korguz attacked them repeatedly, killing numerous more. The great victory had turned into a retreat.

Meanwhile, the Kingdom of Japan decided to open a new front on Shikoku. They appointed Miura Tokiaki, son of the powerful cosigner Yorimori, at the head of 8,000 soldiers and landed at Uwajima in southern Iyo in August 1299. With little opposition, Tokiaki conquered numerous villages as well as Marukushi Castle (丸串城) [4], obtaining a new base of operations for the invasion of the island. Miura even attacked Tosa Province--reconquest of that province carried much attention to the Miura, whose clan once ruled it as military governors before their fall from power in 1247.

The Iyo Tandai dispatched an army to destroy Miura's force, assigning the task to the Utsunomiya Yasumune (宇都宮泰宗), brother of the famed youthful hero Utsunomiya Sadatsuna. Yasumune was a child of the battlefield, for at the age of 13 [5], he accompanied his elder brother to Kyushu in 1281 and fought in all of his battles. No doubt this left Yasumune with mental scars, for as a commander, Yasumune was impulsive, aggressive, and bloodthirsty.

With a hastily conscripted force of 9,000 men, mostly local peasants, Utsunomiya assailed Miura's army on October 2, 1299 at the village of Sukumo. After crossing the Matsuda River in the dead of night, he positioned his elite forces in a wedge and charged Miura's slightly smaller army, but Miura's center fell back in response. Utsunomiya's momentum collapsed and the battle dissolved into a fierce slog. Utsunomiya and Miura personally encountered each other and clashed in one of the most famous duels of the war that ended with both men wounded.

This duel spread rumours on the Shogunate side Utsunomiya had been killed, allowing Miura to conduct an orderly retreat. In the process of disengagement, Miura's forces cut down numerous Shogunate peasants and killed Utsunomiya's second in command, his old retainer Haga Takanao (芳賀高直). Losses were thus far higher on the Shogunate side.

Because the battle occurred near the end of the campaign season and included so many conscripts, Utsunomiya was forced to dismiss nearly his entire force. He returned in failure to Iyo Province. Miura likewise returned home, yet he went before the royal court in Hakata and commissioned a scroll of the battle. It appears that because much of his army consisted of relatives of those who served as bureaucrats, Miura wished to use the royal court to increase his prestige.

As for the Iyo Tandai, the post fell to Tokikane's 13 year old son Mototoki (北条基時). Due to his youth, the much older Houjou clan member Houjou Muneyasu (北条宗泰) assumed actual control of the Iyo Tandai--concurrently he received the position of Tosa's military governor. Drawn to the post by its growing prestige and wealth, Muneyasu brought with him many Houjou vassals and their resources yet also sought to exercise control of its land, finding the Iyo Tandai's leniency detrimental to Houjou interests. Muneyasu was thus an unpopular figure among Shikoku's lords.

By the start of spring 1300, the situation on Shikoku was turning critical. The defenders of Kiyama Castle were isolated and growing short on supplies. The Japanese had practically been swept from the Inland Sea thanks to Sashi Kisou, who finished his conquest of Shoudoshima in April 1300--he subsequently invaded Awaji Province, an offshore island which formed a crucial link between Kyoto and Shikoku. In Iyo, the Mongols marched out from Saginomori to besiege Einousan Castle that same month. But the situation elsewhere in Japan was far worse--Muneyasu's reinforcements appeared to be the last reinforcements Shikoku might receive.

---
Author's notes

Much of this Korean court intrigue is OTL, and since some of the figures involved were also likely to be involved in any invasion of Japan (due to their high status and credentials to lead armies), it is likely this incident would spill over and end even more bloody than in actuality. Interestingly, the Hong clan seems to not have figured heavily in the OTL event compared to other Yuan-Goryeo struggles, since all I can find is that Chungseon banished Hong Jung-hui back to Yuan (which at any rate was his homeland and powerbase since despite their Goryeo origins, the Hong clan were foreigners at that point), but it's clear the Hongs would never pass up an opportunity to scheme against Goryeo.

Originally this was meant to have a map accompanying it, but the map contains "spoilers" (you could say) for the next entry as it covers until early 1300. As I mentioned in the last paragraph, even as Shikoku resists, the situation on the mainland considerably worsens for the Shogunate. That will be next chapter as the Mongols get ever closer to Kyoto.

As always, thank you for reading.

[1] - This was a "Korean-style fortress" built with the aid of Baekje engineers in the late 7th century, much as Mizuki and Ki Castles I've mentioned in previous chapters. Although they were in ruins since the early 9th century, they seem far superior to any actual Kamakura period castle which were fairly small and simple and often merely fortified manors and villas, so a Japan in need of fortifications would reconstruct these if they could
[2] - Kiyama was yet another large Korean-style fortress. Modern Sakaide in Kagawa Prefecture was the location where the imperial offices in Sanuki Province sat, but I am uncertain if the town was called that in the Kamakura era
[3] - OTL, Tokikane died in 1296. The Houjou clan appeared to have very poor health given the sheer number who died between the ages of 30 and 35, potentially from extensive inbreeding
[4] - This was the old name for Uwajima Castle before the Sengoku era in modern Uwajima, Ehime. The oldest fortification dates to the Heian era as an anti-piracy base.
[5] - Yasumune's birth year is unknown, but it is likely he was not too much younger, for he is occasionally confused with his son Sadamune (宇都宮貞宗) (whose name suggests he came of age during Houjou Sadatoki's rule which ended 1311 OTL, hence the "Sada" element which would have been given in the coming-of-age ceremony), so I am assigning his date of birth as 1268.

The greater enemy is often not the one before you. The Goryeo meat shields are learning that the hard way, and soon, so will Shikoku.

Korean court intrigues never get old.

What will pirate lord Shashi get from the Khan for his contribution, I wonder.

And Iyo Tandai will now be the primary shogunate official post that faces off against mongols, instead of Hi No Moto Shogun??

Last edited:
Hopefully I will put out at least the next entry, if not both maps (a battle map and a slightly wider campaign map), within 36 hours or so. It has quite a few notable figures in it, from the introduced like the Yuan's Burilgitei and Khayishan to certain figures of the Ashikaga and Houjou clans.
True. But it was certainly an ideal since individuals like the famous Kusunoki Masashige thought that way, and wound up glorified centuries later for it. Speaking of Kusunoki, his father Kusunoki Masato appears in the next chapter, and certainly not in the form he was romanticised as but instead as the form he very likely was.
It was especially not true in the Sengoku Jidai. It's really a product of Tokugawa period romanticism.
Edo period romanticism more or less did construct the modern idea of the samurai.
The greater enemy is often not the one before you. The Goryeo meat shields are learning that the hard way, and soon, so will Shikoku.
If not the Mongols, Goryeo's elite would find another method by which to remove troublesome people for personal gain.
Korean court intrigues never get old.

What will pirate lord Shashi get from the Khan for his contribution, I wonder.
He collects a salary from the Kingdom of Japan like all military nobles do, and probably a fairly good one since he probably holds military titles from both court and shogunate (an OTL common practice among the Kamakura era's prominent military nobles) plus likely has a court rank (junior fifth rank, lower half i.e. minimum for a "true" noble) since he is prominent among the Matsuura who have sided with the Kingdom of Japan--the Matsuura and their branch families (i.e. the Sashi) claim descent from Emperor Saga. He will find it very easy to acquire the land he is capturing for his relatives and allies, or for himself should he choose to retire. This of course ignores whatever Sashi keeps for himself out of what he and his men loot and plunder, which is always lucrative and helps eliminate potential claimants to land he captures like a branch temple associated with a Kyoto/Nara-based temple which might otherwise choose to cut its affiliations and side with the Mongols.

It's a lengthy explanation, but one worth pointing out since all of the Kingdom of Japan's generals have similar outlooks in how they of what they stand to gain, as do Yuan or Goryeo generals should they choose to (Hong Dagu's family certainly aims to gain a lot of assets in Japan for the sake of their true powerbase in Liaoyang).
And Iyo Tandai will now be the primary shogunate official post that faces off against mongols, instead of Hi No Moto Shogun??
The Iyo Tandai is simply the regional theater commander for the Kamakura Shogunate, but his theater is very important since control of the Inland Sea is crucial for logistics. Arguably more important than the chinjufu-shogun in Mutsu/Dewa, since the force he can raise is more than capable of matching what the Mongols can support in Ezo. The hi-no-moto shogun (honorary title for the Andou clan's leader) BTW is the chinjufu-shogun's deputy, and technically is an unofficial title recognised only by the Mongols in the context of the rival branch of the Andou clan who rules Ezo on their behalf (I know, their names are very similar, since 1298 it has been Andou Suemori, Houjou personal vassal in Mutsu Province vs Andou Suemura, Yuan vassal of the Ezo Shogunate, but both are OTL people from rival branches of the Andou clan). I'll return to what the chinjufu-shogun and his deputy from the Andou clan are doing in a few chapters.

Chapter 15-The Dragon Attacking East
-XV-
The Dragon Attacking East

Kamakura, Sagami Province, May 13, 1299​

Saionji Sanekane observed the letter he received from the Houjou clan's emissary. Beside him stood his son Kinhira, looking over the ever-nervous Settsu Chikamune. Sanekane kept a stern face as he read the nonsense contained within. Some provincial warrior clan who called themselves the Sasaki wished to dismiss the Houjou clan's military governors in several provinces. Everything about the letter, evidently drafted by a certain Sasaki Yorioki, reeked of impudence. How shameful the Houjou clan must now beg for the court's intervention in their own affairs.

"It is a grave concern, Lord Settsu, but the court has no stake in this conflict. A provincial warrior family seeking to usurp posts within the Shogunate is the Shogunate's problem, is it not?"

"Y-yes, Lord Saionji. That is the Shogunate's problem. But this rebellion has occurred as the invader nears Kyoto, so it is all of our problem. If we do not act quickly, then they may make common cause and bring our entire nation down with them." Desperation rang in Settsu's voice as he tried convincing Saionji, making for the same sorry sight as usual.

"Sasaki claims his only mission is removing the immediate threat to his clan so he might strengthen the defense of those regions against the invader. Even if his brother is now a traitor, he is still respecting imperial laws," Saionji countered.

"I understand, Lord Saionji. But we cannot afford this disturbance at a time Japan must unite. The Shogunate and warrior nobles are contributing so much income and soldiers to the cause of repelling the invader that we cannot spare any effort in suppressing this rebel. I beg of you that you permit us to levy warriors from your land, or negotiate with the monks of the great temples."

Kinhira looked at his father.

"You have spent much time studying Buddhist sutras as of recent, father. This would be a wonderful opportunity to strengthen your understanding." Sanekane considered the question, letting sweat build on Settsu's brow. I will certainly leave the palace for a temple in this year or the next. If I negotiate with the priests now, I will understand more of who is best suited to teaching me.

"The monks seek wisdom, not war. It is reasonable, I believe, that they give the invader no further cause to attack their temples, particularly as the invader rules the land where so many of our wise monks studied in the past, and they respect at least a semblance of Buddhism," Sanekane explained, wishing to hear Settsu's counter-offer.

"My lord, the invader has destroyed hundreds of temples and monasteries out of his sinful greed. I will gladly make sure my own master, Lord Houjou Sadatoki, knows he must grant them further support."

"How much further support can Lord Houjou give?" Sanekane asked. "He has already been generous in transferring land, revenue, and corvee to these institutions."

"He can do better!" Settsu said, almost shouting. How sinful he must be that he can barely conceal his glee at sending monks off to battle. "The Houjou clan and its vassals such as myself still controls over 20% of all land in this country."

"'Control' is an improper term, Lord Settsu, for the Imperial Court and the temples merely permit you a share of revenues in exchange for your defense and administration through those often-irksome 'land stewards.'"

"M-my apologies, Lord Saionji," Settsu said, nearly sweating at his mistake. "While I do not speak for other vassals of the Shogunate, let alone those warriors who have independently made contracts with landowners in the court and temples, the Houjou clan shall be willing to accept a reduction in the revenue you grant us, and in particular what the temples grant us, in exchange for their assistance in defending the nation. We will further ensure our judges rule fairly in disputes between the Shogun or Houjou clan's vassals and temples, for there have been many unfair rulings in the past."

Sanekane considered the offer, concealing his smile. It is fortunate the Shogunate was not this weak in my grandfather's era when Emperor Go-Toba rose against them, or my family would have lost all power at court. [1] But if weak men lead them, it is good they be reduced to serving as the defenders of the Emperor and his court.

"Very well," Sanekane said. "I shall present your offer to the relevant monastic institutions, and I shall consult with our Retired Emperor. You shall inform Lord Houjou of my decision, and tell him he should be prepared to deal fairly with the temples...and those in court with the temple's best interests in mind."

---
Near Hayashino, Mimasaka Province, August 24, 1299​

Burilgitei supervised the preparations for the attack on the main enemy army, content his soldiers were hurriedly loading the wagons and skinny riverboats. It was too late to back out now--the battle would go ahead as planned. A gentle rain fell on them, but to Burilgitei's contentment, the barrels being loaded about clearly seemed sturdy and well-sealed.

"There is still the option for a feigned retreat, my lord," his general Zhang Ding said. "We can strike them here, retreat, and destroy the other force. Let us recall those other men are the remnants of the army that vexed as so much these past two years."

"If there is meaning in how much those men stood in our way, then there is no meaning in crushing them as they stand now," Burilgitei noted. If those rumours are true, then that so-called Tiger of Aki is no longer leading them.

"I see your point of view, my lord, but we are still much outnumbered against the enemy here," Zhang said. "Admirable as your bravado was earlier, we may take fewer losses if we conduct a feigned retreat."

"The time for feigned retreats is when their next army appears," Burilgitei pointed out. "When we consider the current state of this entire war, the Great Khan's armies are conducting the perfect campaign. We have broken through the enemy's main fortifications and can now scatter our forces, confound his movements, and challenge him to battles on our terms. Our own army simply has been given the hardest challenge."

"I agree with Lord Burilgitei," Gao Xing said. "It is foolish to retreat in the face of what merely seems impossible."

One of his lieutenants, Japanese by his armour, walked up to them, hastily bowing.

"What do you need?" Burilgitei asked.

"All of our warriors in place," the man said, Chinese accent thick like all these Japanese military nobles. "My scouts have led them on the optimal path, they will be there before the enemy expects. Lord Gao, they wish to see you at their head as soon as possible."

"I will do so. Now, if you permit me to take my leave," Gao said, exiting the tent. He seems well-prepared for this battle. No doubt he seeks to restore my trust after his near death against that Tiger of Aki's ambush.

"Good work." He turned back to Zhang Ding, seeing a good opportunity for explanation. "Lord Zhang, this is a mingghan commander, Sugimoto Tokiaki. He knows this country very well, for he used to control part of it. Perhaps if he explains the strategy it will relieve your concerns."

Zhang peered Sugimoto over before nodding his head.

"Lord Zhang, I am taking my warriors to the top of that hill. When the moment is right, my warriors will be the ones to break their lines. Our superior cavalry and especially positioning more than makes up for our lack in numbers."

"It's a bold strategy, but will it be enough?" Zhang questioned.

Burilgitei pointed over toward the river, where another Japanese leader, Kikuchi Takamori, stood supervising the men loading the boats. Several men crawled into the boat, taking shelter under a tarp sewn together from a mass of animal hides they had forced the local people into making. A hand cannon peaked out from underneath, giving Burilgitei immediate distaste the soldier dared point it in his direction.

"Those ships will follow our forces. Once they arrive, they will open fire on the enemy and attack them from a different angle. Struck from four angles, we will either completely encircle the enemy or force a dramatic rout. Sugimoto's knowledge of this region has given us a most incredible advantage."

"I certainly hope so," Zhang said. "We're taking a risk our forefathers never dreamed of."

"For our forefathers, it was not a dream," Burilgitei said. "It was their life."

---
Near Hayashino, Mimasaka Province, August 24, 1299​

"My lord, there is another enemy force pouring out of the hills! What shall we do?" the messenger said. Rain dripped from his helm and armour.

Frustration filled Godaiin Shigekazu as the messenger shouted at him the reports, enough to want to dismount his horse and throttle someone then and there. There are MORE enemies here?

"Of course there are! We can't beat the Yuan's greatest general so easily! Let's just drive them back!" his charge--and his master--Houjou Tokiatsu said. He brandished his katana, ready to join the battle himself. He's got spirit and wants to lead from the front--he'll make a fine leader one day.

"If we can," Shigekazu countered. "The enemy's charges are fierce, and even though we've broken through their right flank, our men were not expecting an ambush from that angle." Although the fierce melee was some distance from him, he could clearly see his men falling back in that direction. His keen eyes sighted the banners of the treacherous Miura clan fluttering as their soldiers led the attack against their allied warrior monks, their banners positively gleaming with the sutras inscribed on them despite the rain.

"Godaiin, let us inspire our men by going to the front and joining this fight ourselves!" Houjou shouted. Shigekazu hesitated for a moment. It's too dangerous to let Lord Houjou go to the front, but if I am correct, the enemy's right will return in force now that our men are disorganised by this new ambush. This will reduce pressure on their left. Our center is understrength, but mostly uncommitted so far--no choice but to crush that new unit and regain our momentum.

"It's our only solution. Let us take caution as wel join our allies from Mount Hiei in crushing this new force." Shigekazu spurred his horse onward as a bannerman gave a blast on the shell trumpet. He faced his men and pointed his spear toward the enemy.

Just then, out of the corner of his eye he saw a mass of boats drifting down the river, so many boats it seemed almost like a festive procession. There are no festivals in Mimasaka this time of year, let alone a festival in this backwater province with so many boats. Watching the boats move downstream distracted him from the battle momentarily as he Houjou and the others pulled ahead of him. A few men stood upright driving the boats with their poles and oars, but what looked like others sat down. Many huddled under large tarps that covered the boats. Perhaps they are fleeing the latest atrocity the invader has committed in this country.

As he returned his full attention to the battle, he felt a great burst of pain in his back shoving him off his horse, his face falling right into the muddy ground as his body rolled about. Multiple loud bangs followed immediately after, a noise Godaiin recognised immediately from his past experiences fighting alongside the Rokuhara Tandai. The invader's cannons!

He picked himself up off the ground, the pain in his back intense as a wall of arrows fell around him, striking his men. Hundreds of men were rushing out of the boats, now shrouded in smoke from the gunfire they just unleashed, as another few hundred archers and gunners and crossbowmen prepared to fire again.

"G-Godaiin! Th-they...they have more reserves!" Houjou Tokiatsu was speechless. "We'll be surrounded from three, no, all four sides!" Godaiin saw his warriors fleeing all around him as confusion reigned, the realisation sinking in that he had lost this battle. Even if this is but more trickery, our men will never realise this. And who knows how many more tricks this enemy has for us today?

"R-retreat. We m-must retreat. But make it orderly!" Godaiin grunted over the pain. He knew the last part would never happen, but he would do his best to make it so--or die trying. Nothing else could keep him from ending his life in that moment as penance for failing the Houjou--and all Japan.

---
Ki Castle, Bitchuu Province, September 18, 1299​

Adachi Tomasa stood tall as he gazed down from the walls of the old castle. Even though the gate functioned, the interior was mostly hastily cleared forest, the tree stumps still visible. The entire place was good for nothing but a place to camp an army--it was fortunate the Houjou and their puppet Shoguns had no opportunity to rebuild it.

"It isn't long now, my lord," a retainer said. Sure enough, the enemy believed their deception, seeing the distateful three triangles of the Houjou clan's crest on the banner behind them. The enemy's force was truly immense--thousands, if not tens of thousands, of warriors stretched out on the hillside path carrying banners belonging to both the Houjou but also prominent clans of the east Tomasa recalled from his short time in Kamakura as a youth. Nitta, Ashikaga, Ota, Satake--so the Houjou are sending their finest! Even more disturbingly, Tomasa saw a few banners with Buddhist sutras written on them, clearly carried by warrior monks. He was facing a dangerous foe.

The enemy marched into the castle gates, meaning the battle was imminent, for they would soon notice the deception. Already Tomasa's soldiers were speaking to a messenger. Tomasa grabbed his bow and notched an arrow, drawing it back as he aimed at the leader of the army, some member of the Houjou clan who stood talking to a lord from the Nitta clan, no doubt a deputy commander.

Yet before he let his arrow fly, an impulse struck him. After everything the Houjou did to his clan from ordering his uncle's suicide, to betraying and murdering his second cousin and his family, to confiscating his lands, it felt too merciful to grant one of their senior members a swift death like that. Tomasa knew he needed to look him in the eye and watch him plead for mercy. With that in mind, Tomasa adjusted his aim to strike the other man.

"Fall to the deepest hell, Houjou dog," Tomasa muttered, leting his arrow fly. It pierced the man's head, halting the entire force in their tracks as the noble collapsed at once. That was the signal--arrows started flying as the enemy tried raising their shields and diving to the ground in panic. Shell trumpets on both sides blew, warning of the ambush--or commanding the hidden warriors to attack. That invader prince and his generals are talented men--they'll strike the enemy on both flanks and that will be it.

Tomasa hurriedly fired his remaining arrows as the castle gate sealed shut, shooting them at men trying to retake the gatehouse and climb onto the walls to escape. To his disatisfaction, he noticed that the Houjou lord he spared was rallying his troops to great success and driving his own forces back. A cornered rat bites hard. He drew his blade, ready to join the fight.

---

Bodies fell all around Ashikaga Sadauji as his warriors stood guard on a shabbily fortified hill beneath the ancient walls of Ki Castle. The enemy laid the trap admirably, and it was up to Sadauji to guide the Shogunate's warriors out of it. The words of his commander, Houjou Sadaaki, burned in his head--we will not retreat until we reclaim what we lost. Just what he lost, Houjou had not said, but Sadauji could only assume it was the bodies of certain key leaders.

He hacked the arm off a Chinese warrior who somehow managed to get close, the man quickly collapsing from shock and took a deep breath. Even if his arms felt sore and his body weary from slaying men for hours under the burning sun, his spirit still felt aflame. We Ashikaga must prove ourselves the leaders of warriors.

Sadauji saw one of his warriors try and step back from the coming onslaught. Even as he crossed blades with an enemy swordsmen, he still found the time to look the man in the eye, one he recognised as his kinsmen and retainer Isshiki Kimifuka.

"Death is all around you, but behind you is only the most undignified death! Stay fighting!" Sadauji shouted before managing to get a clean slash on his enemy's throat. The retreating warrior stepped forward and shouted, running right toward the enemy. He managed to kill several before a spear ran him through. I will reward your family well for that sacrifice and obedience.

Yet with how fierce the enemy attacked as they sought a total encirclement, Sadauji himself felt tempted to step back. The warriors around him were clearly being driven back, and the arrows from his side had halted as his archers ran out of arrows--the enemy of course still had many that were striking down his men and piercing their shields and armour.

Sadauji smiled as the enemy footsoldiers charged relentlessly at him, ignoring the swiftly approaching death. If the invader has even the slightest humanity within him, he will permit our countrymen who survive his rule to honour my clan in song and poetry as we honoured the valiant Taira.

Enemy soldiers surrounded him on all sides, but Sadauji's quick footwork and swiftness with the blade let him avoid the worst of their thrusts. Even the pain in his side from a sudden spear blade to the back failed to phase him at a moment like this, even if for some reason his sword arm moved slower. He fell to the ground as an enemy bashed him with a shield and pointed a smoking spear pointed it right at him. His helmet split from a simultaneous sword blow. A burning lance or an icy sword, which shall deliver my death.

Neither would, for an arrow struck the lance wielder in the throat as the head of the swordsmen fell on his chest. A hand reached down, helping him out of a pool of his own blood. Sadauji coughed as he saw the face, none other than that young Houjou commander he had been with earlier, the sturdy Kudou Sadasuke. Dirt covered his tattered armour and blood and cuts stained his face, but his warrior spirit remained.

"Are you okay, Lord Ashikaga?" he shouted, hacking down an enemy as the enemy's charge halted in the face of reinforcements. Sadauji felt his wound with his hand. Just the tip pierced my armour and skin--I will surely live.

"We have no time to talk, for we must open this path for Lord Houjou," Sadauji said, stepping forward and cutting at an enemy.

"It will be open. Lord Houjou Sadaaki has recovered the survivors of his kinsman's vanguard and will soon be here. Our escape will be orderly."

"They have fought well, so we mustn't dishonour them by expecting them to carry out our orders," Sadauji replied. Kudou seemed to agree, as shell trumpets blew and his warriors lept into action.

"Forward for the honour of the Seiwa Genji!" Sadauji shouted, rallying his surviving retainers and their warriors. Until every last enemy before them died, the battle was far from over.

---

Only the incense Khayishan burned in his tent kept away the strange smell of human flesh burning, the immolation of the ten thousand--or more--warriors who perished on this battlefield. Ki Castle resembled a great pot aflame in a campfire, for fires on the outside and inside burnt the deceased. It made a grim yet beautiful sight, one he hoped to see repeated many times in the coming years as the enemies of the Great Yuan fell to his invincible armies.

The Russian cavalryman Aleksandr stepped into the tent, removing his helmet and kneeling before him, his blond hair gleaming in the sunset despite the grime still covering his face. He's hunting the survivors personally to restore his honour of his men being unable to bring back the head of that Japanese commander they killed. What admirable service!

"Your majesty, I captured a few stragglers who seek to surrender to you. They claim to be nobles and wish for your pardon."

An assistant of his dragged a few rope-bound men into the room, the leader of them a sneering and grim man with seemingly no respect at all for whose presence he was in.

"Give me your name and why you wish to surrender," Khayishan demanded, keeping one hand on his sword. The only trustworthy traitors of the enemy are those who surrender before a battle. No doubt our commander Nanghiyadai will disapprove--how fortunate he can never overrule the nephew of the Great Khan.

"Kusunoki Masato," the man answered. "A good land steward denied his place as a vassal and denied his place in life by the Houjou clan." His Chinese was fairly fluent.

"All of which you would have found had you pledged allegiance to the Son of Heaven," Khayishan countered. "Yet you served those who go against his orders and execute his emissaries."

"The fox chased by dogs bites all in front of it," Kusunoki replied. "No other options lay before me, yet the good work of your warriors has freed myself and my men from that fate. At a single word, I will serve you as I've served no other master and punish those who defy the Son of Heaven."

Khayishan looked at the man--he certainly had fought well today given his fresh wounds, and he had two men beside him as followers. That would make three more men for my army, three men I do not have today and will not need to demand from some other commander. Even if he is untrustworthy, I can put this man on the frontlines and he will do my bidding, just as he did our enemy's.

"How many men do you command?"

"I commanded sixty men in that battle, all my comrades-in-arms for years as we battled the corruption of Toudai-ji's monks and their allies within the Houjou clan and Imperial Court." Khayishan glared at Kusunoki with his mention of "imperial" in reference to the false court in Kyoto. "My apologies, the false court which claims itself Imperial. At any rate, I believe thirty of us survive."

"You will bring me all thirty warriors. If you have even a single man less, each and every one of you will be executed for your lies."

"I will do so. There are other warriors I know in a similar situation, such as Lord Terada--" [2]

"You will focus on your own matters before you worry about your fellow traitors. This Lord Terada can present his own case for why he should be allowed to surrender."

"My apologies for being presumptious. I simply wish for all persecuted by the Houjou as I have to be permitted to serve the proper Son of Heaven and a King of Japan who pays tribute in accordance with the correct order."

"Summon your men and get out of my sight," Khayishan growled. Aleksandr and his soldiers grabbed the men and tossed them out of the tent.

"These are bandits, your majesty," Aleksandr said. "Our enemy is desperate and presses anyone he can find into his service."

"Such is their nature. Every Japanese who fights for us simply seeks personal gain and the destruction of their enemies. Not one man in this country demonstrates an upright nature in that regard. Even so, we must accept the service of these wretches now so we might train their sons to be proper civilised people."

"It is but a product of our sinful human nature that we men of weak nations act in such foul ways when confronted by a nation as strong as your own. May the Lord forgive us all for what we do." Aleksandr drew a cross motion with his hands, a gesture Khayishan recognised as a Christian one. "If you may permit me, I will hunt down more stragglers, your majesty and see if I cannot find that 'Lord Terada' the bandit mentioned earlier. That will do much in confirming this man's intentions."

"Go do your work," Khayishan said, dismissing his Russian Guard of the kheshig. He lay back on his mat, pondering the battle--and suddenly craving a drink. A victory celebration was in order.

---
Kamakura, Sagami Province, November 1, 1299​

Houjou Sadatoki couldn't believe the arrogance and impudence of the court noble appearing before him. The man acted as if he were the Emperor himself, daring to dispute the one who commanded every important institution in Japan. His bow was weak and he quickly rose to his feet without permission. Beside him, Kudou Tokimitsu watched Sadatoki with an irritating nervousness, as if more concerned with him than the man before him.

"It is wonderful that I, the newly appointed Eastern Envoy, might receive a personal invitation to your residence, Lord Houjou Sadatoki, Governor of Sagami Province." Sadatoki twitched at hearing the man address him like that. I am the regent and upholder of the Shogunate, not just some mere provincial governor! "For what honour might this visit be for?"

"You know damn well what it is for, Saionji Kinhira! Why have you ordered those warriors to disperse! We NEED them for our forces! You do not command them, for they are commanded by myself and my vassals!" He couldn't help but shout at the man so he might understand, but the man gave no apparent reaction.

"My apologies, Lord Saionji," Kudou said, "Lord Houjou is very stressed by the trying situation as of late and his spirit is exhausted after grieving for the loss of countless men."

"Kudou! Let me--" Sadatoki took a deep breath, understanding that his majordomo was simply smoothing matters over to get Saionji to listen to him. "Sainoji, please explain."

"The sparrow cannot defeat the hawk--only the eagle can," Saionji said. "Not a single warrior you command was dismissed, only those who work for the estates owned by my family and those who trust my family to safeguard their interests."

Sadatoki clenched his fist, knowing immediately what Saionji referred to. There is no difference between what we are doing now in the aftermath of those defeats and what we have done before! Why is this noble denying my men warriors to lead!

"Further, Lord Houjou," Saionji continued. "I did not issue this request myself, and indeed could not, for I am simply Minister of the Right. This request came from a collection of those trusted by family, among these my father himself, the humble monk Etsukuu. It would be a grave sin to go against the wishes of my father, and an even graver sin to go against the wishes of the sangha." Saionji Sanekane is now a monk? That scheming bastard is just trying to find new ways to increase his power!

"Kudou, what would you suggest we do about this," Sadatoki asked. "It is a pity the Rokuhara Tandai couldn't deal with this matter."

"The Rokuhara Tandai? Ah, sorry, I only overheard you speaking," Kinhira said in his arrogance. Sadatoki grit his teeth, furious this man dare interrupt a conversation. "My apologies, but they concern a matter for which I have also been consulted on, since some in the Rokuhara Tandai insist on pillaging the very fields they've been entrusted to defend. When they approached one Houjou Sadaaki, he claimed that this burning and looting somehow repels the invader from our land, as if the invader is motivated only by greed and not a host of other sins."

"His conduct is none of your business! If he feels that is the best way to defend this country, than it must be. If it were not, then his advisors would have ensured he did nothing of that sort," Sadatoki explained. But he knew it was useless--an effete court noble like Saionji Kinhira could never understand the complexities of warfare and military matters.

"It would be best if a tree that destroy its own branches exist not in this world," Saionji said. "Everyone from the temples to those peasant leaders in the villages understand such. If your warriors are truly desperate for money, would it not be best if they refused impulses found only among diseased dogs and instead excelled at battle so they might claim what is rewarded to them?"

Sadatoki silently fumed at the absolute arrogance by which this man treated him. Just because I need his assistance does not mean he can treat me like this! Were my warriors not so inept against the invader, I'd have his head!

"Very well," Kudou said. "I assure you we will investigate the matter of the Rokuhara Tandai's actions and punish anyone who has committed crimes such as looting. As for the advice you sought from me, Lord Houjou, I propose we ignore this matter for the time being and reconsider our defensive strategy."

"How!? Without those warriors, we do not have the men to reinforce and repel the invader!"

"It is possible that we have raised too many weak men from those estates," Kudou said. "Were the Shogun's vassals stronger, they might make something of them, but those men who continually are defeated despite the Houjou clan leading them can do nothing with men of that quality."

"Lord Kudou speaks the truth," Saionji said. "I am glad a veteran warrior such as himself confirms what those monks and courtiers unfamiliar with the battlefield might only speculate."

A brief paranoia flared in Sadatoki's mind--was Kudou Tokimitsu negotiating with these people behind his back? He dismissed it, resolving to deal with the issue later.

"Kudou, do tell me where we might get more men if not from those estates those temples have extorted us with."

"We might look to the Shogun's vassals in the east. Ashikaga Sadauji raised many men from his estates, and these men helped our warriors save our army from absolute disaster at Ki Castle." Sadatoki smiled at Kudou's proposal. Greedy vassals like Ashikaga or especially his irksome Nitta cousins will complain as ever, but they have no one to appeal to but my clan. They will do their part in defending this country, just like we have done our part.

"Lord Saionji, I order you to never interfere in such matters again without my direct permission. Yet I will tolerate your interference just this once, for by coincidence your actions benefitted the Shogunate. We will get our warriors either way. I remind you, Saionji, the Shogunate is but another office of the court, and we all serve the same Emperor."

---​

For Japan, few years were worse than 1299, the annus horibilis where everything fell down. It was the 7th year of Banpou, hence "the disaster of Banpou 7" became its conventional term, a term that echoed for centuries to come in the conscious of the Japanese. During this year, tenacious defense turned to furious retreat, valour turned to cowardice, and luck turned to misfortune, for the Mongols at last demonstrated offensive might. Frustrated for countless years, it was their turn to strike and for Mongol leaders such as Burilgitei and Khayishan, gain the eternal fame possessed by their world-conquering ancestors.

The Mongols owed much of their success that year to Sasaki Yoritsuna, a powerful lord in Omi Province and several other provinces northwest of Kyoto. Sasaki had long struggled with temples over land rights and loathed the Houjou for continually ruling against him. A petty, greedy man, Sasaki reluctantly marched out at the head of a Houjou clan army that sought to defend Tajima Province. Yet the effort was doomed from the start--at the Battle of Takenohama (竹野浜), Yuan general Tudghagh and his cavalry commander Khur-Toda shattered Japanese ranks and defeated them through their expertise at tactics and skillful use of cavalry.

Traditional Japanese stories say Sasaki's retainers fought furiously to prevent his capture, urging him to commit an honourable suicide, but Sasaki refused. He mocked the men for their efforts and willingly surrendered to the Mongol commander, ensuring the retainers faced execution so Sasaki might acquire their wealth. However, this story is likely an exaggeration--other accounts describe wounds Sasaki suffered at that battle, so it is equally likely he could not commit suicide before his capture. Further, Sasaki's eldest son Yoriaki (頼明), who the Houjou forced his father to disinherit due to the Shimoutsuki Incident, had defected to the Kingdom of Japan in 1291, meaning father simply joined son.

Further, Sasaki's betrayal prompted a great uprising of the Sasaki clan and their retainers in Omi and nearby provinces, starting with Sasaki Yorioki (佐々木頼起), younger brother of Yoritsuna [3]. Yorioki rebelled due to a rumour that the Houjou planned on eliminating the Sasaki due to Yoritsuna's actions, yet may have involved genuine sympathy for the Mongol cause. Much of it was certainly due to the inability to repay the Sasaki for the vast amount of men they sent to battle. Around half the clan joined the uprising, aiming to dismiss the Houjou as military governors of Sasaki-dominated provinces.

Whatever the cause, the revolt was impossible to suppress due to an urgent lack of forces. In late 1298 and in 1299, the Houjou were driven out of their holdings in the provinces of Omi, Tanba, Tango, and Wakasa. Most notably, Sasaki Yorioki even issued a proclamation for all prominent lords to rise up against the Houjou for the salvation of Japan. It was the largest internal rebellion in the Kamakura Shogunate since the Tenkou Rebellion 12 years prior, and occurred at a dire time.

It would not be the Houjou, but the Imperial Court who quelled the rebellion. It seems the Imperial Court both feared the rebellion as a threat to Kyoto's position and wished to cease the antagonism between the Sasaki and temples backed by the court nobles. Further, the court nobles held greater sway over the warrior monks of Mount Hiei, whose vast army had constantly opposed the Sasaki rebels. To summon these monks, the Imperial Court asked the Houjou to transfer some of their land to the temples and monasteries--lacking a choice, the Houjou accepted.

The warrior monks and Sasaki clashed repeatedly in spring and summer 1299, with conduct toward captured monks being notoriously brutal. Although the monks of Mount Hiei were nowhere near as powerful as they were in the Heian era, the great chaos and poverty since the Mongol invasions had swollen their ranks [4]. Among them was Takeda Tokitsuna (then known by his monastic name Kounin). Although a practicioner of Zen--an unfavoured sect among Mount Hiei's traditionalists--the Imperial Court summoned him to serve as a leader to the monks. With only 500 warrior monks (the most Mount Hiei granted to him), Takeda defeated several equivalent forces of Sasaki warriors before being forced to retreat.

This marked the first great deployment of warrior monks to the battlefield. Although in every battle individual or small groups of monks had fought alongside the Shogunate, large deployment had never occurred due to the Shogunate's reluctance to ask the powerful temples to assistance. Houjou clan donated much land and peasant labour to these temples and their allies in the Imperial Court for the privilege of recruiting and leading their monks.

Even so, the numbers and training of the Sasaki exceeded that of the warrior monks, and they clearly held the upper hand. For this reason--and the advance of the Mongols--it became advantageous to seek peace. Sasaki clan members less active than Yorioki and his close relatives were granted Imperial pardons for their crimes and actions and promised new positions and land rights. Sasaki monks were promised high positions in temples, including ironically Koufuku-ji (興福寺), a temple in Nara Yoritsuna frequently clashed with. The Sasaki who never joined the rebellion such as the Kyogoku branch in particular were singled out with rewards.

This turned the tide, leaving Sasaki Yorioki with scarcely 1,000 warriors. As Yorioki attempted to retreat to Mongol lines, on August 2, this remnant rose up and betrayed him in the mountains of Tanba Province. Sasaki's younger brother Toriyama Suketsuna (鳥山輔綱) joined these rebels and cornered Yorioki, forcing him to commit suicide.

Unfortunately, before Toriyama could bring his head to the Imperial Court or the Houjou, this force was attacked by Mongol scouts under Chaghatai prince Tore. Tore wiped out Toriyama's unit and learned from survivors the full extant of the chaos in the frontline provinces. Hearing of thousands dead, fortifications left scarcely manned, and numerous warrior monks dead, Tore mounted a great raid as far from the frontlines as Omi Province, confirming it for himself whilst adding to the chaos.

The Rokkaku Disturbance--named for the surname 'Rokkaku' Sasaki sometimes used--completely paralysed the Shogunate's response to a grave situation emerging in the west. Over that winter, the Shogunate massed their forces in two places--Matsuyama Castle in Bitchuu (松山城), where the remnants of Takeda's army had retreated to in winter 1298 and Ki Castle, a large and ancient fortification that remained in ruins due to lack of funds. In the latter, around 8,000, reinforced to 15,000, men under the Rokuhara Tandai leader Houjou Tokinori stood watch, while the former held around 8,000 veteran warriors of Takeda Tokitsuna under Komai Nobumura and Houjou Munenaga.

Initially the Mongols laid siege to both fortifications, with Burilgitei attacking Matsuyama and Khayishan besieging Ki. Despite the strong walls, the latter ironically held more success due to the defender's lack of troops to man the entire castle. Khayishan attacked at various points before retreating just as quickly. The outcome looked grim for both outnumbered Japanese forces, particularly as all aid from Shikoku was cut off and travel along the coast vulnerable to piracy. However, the Shogunate was raising another force, including warriors from as far away as Mutsu--this represented the finest warriors of east Japan, who had only been committed piecemeal thus far.

Tore's report on the full extant of the Rokkaku Disturbance immediately gave Burilgitei an idea. Under cover of night, he retreated from the siege of Matsuyama, leaving behind only a token force of Japanese defectors to continue the siege and screen his force. He bypassed the castle and burned his way across Bitchu Province into nearby Mimasaka Province before halting his force due to having too many still-intact Japanese castles in his rear. Hearing of Burilgitei's actions, Khayishan did the same for he would not be outmatched, despite his nominal commander Nanghiyadai urging caution. He bypassed Ki Castle and crashed into Bizen Province, capturing numerous fortresses through lightning attacks.

As for those Shogunate defenders besieged in Matsuyama and Ki, they realised the Mongols had moved the battlefield. Komai Nobumura proposed to retreat to the frontline, crippling Mongol logistics and coordinating an attack with the Rokuhara Tandai. He attempted to sneak a message to Houjou Tokinori, but this message was captured by Yuan soldiers. Burilgitei knew of Komai's escape and plotted to lure either his force or his relief force into a trap.

As Burilgitei attacked the mountainous province of Mimasaka, the Sasaki clan army advanced toward him, reinforced to 16,000 men with the Rokuhara Tandai and warrior monks from Mount Hiei and elsewhere. Combined with Komai's force, this made around 24,000 Shogunate forces moving in from three directions into the mountainous province of Mimasaka, outnumbering the Yuan 2-1. When confronted by his generals of the situation and asked where to retreat, Burilgitei famously answered "forward." He attacked the strongest Shogunate force--the Sasaki clan and Mount Hiei's monks, commanded by Sasaki Yorishige (佐々木頼重) and the Houjou direct vassal Godaiin Shigekazu (五大院繁員) with Houjou Tokiatsu (北条時敦) as its nominal leader.

Faced with the unforeseen sudden attacks from Burilgitei's advance forces, Sasaki and Godaiin retreated to the town of Hayashino (林野), located on a floodplain between hills and the confluence of two large rivers. There they regrouped, preparing to use the narrow paths along the river to funnel Burilgitei's warriors into the killing ground. However, Sugimoto Tokiaki (杉本時明), a kinsmen of the Miura clan, once held land in Mimasaka before he joined Yorimori in the Kingdom of Japan. Sugimoto knew the lay of the land around Hayashino and advised Burilgitei to both confiscate boats and use trails over the hills [5].

Thus Burilgitei did, as the Yuan confiscated river boats called takasebune (高瀬舟) and sailed them downstream, committing his attack for the rainy day of August 24, 1299 [6]. His forces divided into three, with two groups (mostly cavalry) advancing along the riverbanks and the third in the hills. His cavalry charged first, breaking up enemy lines before retreating in the face of overwhelming force, but this left the enemy vulnerable to attacks from scouts in the hills led by Sugimoto and his commander that struck the enemy in the flank. Burilgitei's forces charged in once more and added to the confusion.

Around this point, Godaiin realised the enemy's lack of numbers and ordered his forces to push onward to victory. They concentrated on Burilgitei's right, commanded by Gao Xing, forcing him to retreat. At that moment however, the river boats arrived, and Kikuchi Takamori and his warriors opened fire in the enemy's rear with their bows and guns, their powder kept dry thanks to specific preparations. One bullet struck and wounded Godaiin, who commanded from the rear at the side of Houjou. The loud noise led to a panic, for the Shogunate warriors believed their enemies were more numerous than thought and that Godaiin had perished. As Gao used the noise of the guns to rally his forces and charge back in, the Shogunate force broke into a rout.

They hurriedly crossed the rain-swollen river where thousands drowned. A minority of warriors--Sasaki and a few hundred others (mostly warrior monks)--remained behind to help the others escape. These were slaughtered to a man, but inflicted significant enough casualties on the Yuan forces to quell their momentum. Of the 16,000 warriors, perhaps 6,000 survived. Godaiin died of his wounds several days later, and the remainder returned to Kyoto in despair.

gxBO9e4.png

Diagram of the Battle of Hayashino and movements of both armies

The defeat at Hayashino raised chaos and panic in Kyoto. A riot broke out in the streets as merchants and other citizens protested in front of the Rokuhara Tandai to defend them, which was suppressed by the Imperial Police, Kyoto's own defense force. Ironically, the ringleaders found themselves press-ganged into military service to avoid execution, and in the end, the Rokuhara Tandai did indeed raise an another army.

This army's quality was exceptionally poor, even by the standards of the average Japanese army in the Banpou Invasion. Its officers were barely more than boys, children of military nobility whose fathers and grandfathers died in the wars against the Mongols. Its finest soldiers were those akutou granted pardons--and often land and income--for fighting for the Shogunate, while the average soldier were simply poorly armed peasants. Because the akutou held far greater experience, their officers greatly relied on them, marking a crucial step in the transition to the ashigaru (足軽) warrior being the basis of Japanese armies [7].

News of this army reached Ki Castle, where Houjou Tokinori still held out despite lacking the soldiers to man the huge walls. It inspired the troops throughout the autumn and winter as supplies dwindled. However, before it could set out, a certain incident occurred with Saionji Sanekane, the former Grand Chancellor and still the most powerful of the court nobles. Saionji demanded to the Rokuhara Tandai not a single man be raised from manors he or his foremost patrons (mostly others of the Saionji family and several temples) owned, thus dismissing nearly 8,000 men overnight.

The Rokuhara Tandai could not arrest Saionji, for his support was crucial to ensuring guilds and temples contributing income and even warriors to the Shogunate. All they could do was protest to Houjou Sadatoki, who summoned Saionji to Kamakura to explain his actions. Saionji claimed that because the quality of the army was exceedingly poor and they stood no chance of victory, it would only be hurting the nation's economy to waste them in battle. Saionji instead proposed that Houjou send more warriors from the east.

Surprisingly, Houjou agreed to this and ordered the eastern army he was raising fused with the remaining soldiers from the Rokuhara Tandai. Around 12,000 men traveled west to Kyoto that autumn and joined the 12,000 already in Kyoto. The Rokuhara Tandai deputy Sadaaki retained leadership of the force, but he was expected to share command with the ambitious Houjou Munekata, cousin (and adoptive brother) of Sadatoki [8]. Because of their youth however, actual leadership fell to the Houjou personal vassal Suwa Yorishige (諏訪頼重) and the veteran Shogunate vassal Nitta Motouji (新田基氏).

At this time, Khayishan knew well the poor defenses of Ki Castle. He left behind a token force of 5,000 warriors under his strategist Bayan of the Merkit (伯顔) and alongside Nanghiyadai and 10,000 men, rode out to plunder the rest of Bitchuu and attack eastwards into nearby Bizen and Harima. Although Sadaaki and Munekata managed to destroy at least 3 mingghan, their forces were being lured into a trap. Khayishan's scouts kept the main body of the army informed at all times.

On September 18, 1299 with the main Japanese force around a day away. Khayishan stormed Ki Castle and slaughtered nearly all remaining defenders, taking heavy losses due to the high morale of the defenders, yet this was acceptable for his strategy. He positioned a token Kingdom of Japan force under his mingghan commander Adachi Tomasa (足立遠政) atop the castle walls [9]. Khayishan's main force lay hidden around Ki, while he redeployed Bayan with an advance force of 5,000 to bait the Japanese.

Bayan skirmished with the Houjou on September 19, with his large forces skirmishing with the Japanese over the course of the day. Each time, Bayan conducted feigned retreats that led the Japanese directly to Ki Castle, where Bayan further retreated to serve as a rearguard for the battle (Khayishan wished to rest these soldiers). The elite forces of the Shogunate rode into Ki Castle with Munekata at their head, believing Adachi an ally. That afternoon, Khayishan sprung his trap.

Despite having only half the numbers of the Shogunate, Khayishan's initial charge, including a grand attack from the kheshig and Aleksandr Zakharievich, immediately struck chaos into the spread out Japanese warriors. Suwa Yorishige died early in the battle, causing further chaos. Within the walls of Ki Castle, Nitta Motouji became the first man to die, killed by an arrow fired by Adachi. The battle begun, Houjou Munekata led a valiant effort to break out, saving few besides himself but managing to take Adachi's head. Hundreds of prominent warriors of eastern Japan died in the fighting, including many personal vassals of the Houjou.

Houjou Sadaaki realised the dire situation and began organising a retreat, sending Ashikaga Sadauji (足利貞氏) to keep the eastern path safe. Ashikaga's warriors cut down hundreds, if not thousands, of infantry Khayishan positioned there and gave a position for the Shogunate to reform their lines. Meanwhile, Houjou sent Kudou Sadasuke (工藤貞祐), son of the Houjou majordomo Kudou Tokimitsu, on a nigh-suicidal mission to aid Munekata's escape and retrieve Suwa's body. With surprising zeal, Kudou's warriors aggressively fought their way through Mongol lines and accomplished their mission with great success. They ensured the walls remained a contested area, denying the Mongols a vantage point for their archers and gunners.

Shogunate numbers triumphed in the end, and Khayishan's flank in the south began being pushed back. Although Munekata demanded they push on to victory, the more cautious Sadaaki advised they continue their retreat and rejoin Ashikaga's force. This proved wise, for Bayan committed his reserve and once again nearly broke Shogunate lines with his charge. Yet as night fell, Khayishan pulled his forces back to Ki, slaying the remaining Japanese on the walls and convincing stragglers (mostly akutou) to surrender.

Ki Castle marked another great disaster for the Shogunate--they failed to relieve the besieged force and lost nearly 15,000 warriors in the process with thousands more wounded. The expedition accomplished nothing besides destroying several raiding parties and taking the head of a prominent defector--Khayishan lost only 3,000 men and regained nearly as many from defecting akutou in the days after the battle.

These akutou naturally surrendered to the Mongols in exchange for rewards of land, for a general feeling was that despite their deeds, they would be poorly rewarded by the Houjou. Among these was Kusunoki Masato (楠木正遠), a disgraced warrior who frequently clashed with the powerful Buddhist temple of Toudai-ji (東大寺) over land rights to the estates he administered on their behalf [10]. Although he fought well in battle for the Shogunate, the Mongol offer of unrestricted rights to the disputed estates appealed greatly to him and his fellow akutou.

Sadaaki's embattled warriors, now numbering only 9,000 after the defeat in battle, desertions, and defections, split in two. He sent his kinsmen Munekata alongside Ashikaga and 4,000 men to Awaji Island, where they were to reinforce the defenders of Naganuma Munehide against Sashi Kisou's navy and if possible, proceed onward to Shikoku. The two columns frequently clashed with advance forces from Khayishan's army, leading to further attrition.

During the retreat from Bitchuu, Houjou ordered a scorched earth campaign in Bizen and Harima to slow the enemy down, an extremely controversial approach that earned him ample criticism from landowners be it the Imperial Court and powerful temples. These institutions complained to Sadatoki via their envoy Saionji Sanekane and threatened to withhold financial support from the Shogunate. Combined with his failure in battle, Sadaaki was dismissed as deputy Rokuhara Tandai leader and replaced with Houjou Hirotoki (北条煕時), grandson of Houjou Tokimura.

Senior Rokuhara Tandai leader, Houjou Hisatoki, resigned his post in protest. He composed a sardonic poem that amounted to criticism of Sadatoki's handling of the war. An unimpressed Sadatoki took great offense to this and demoted his kinsmen to the post of military governor of Iki Province, a powerless post given Iki had been occupied by the Mongols since 1281. Sadatoki promoted the chinjufu-shogun Munenobu to the post--Munenobu was replaced as chinjufu-shogun with his younger brother Sadafusa (北条貞房).

The chaos after the battle was not limited to the Houjou. The Nitta clan was infuriated upon hearing that the Shogunate spent effort rescuing the body of Suwa Yorishige, but not Nitta Motouji. Their occasional feuds with their close kin, the Ashikaga, erupted into violence as Motouji's son Tomouji (新田朝氏) alleged that Ashikaga convinced both Houjou leaders at the battle to abandon his father's body.

In a hotheaded decision, Nitta dispatched two akutou brothers in his clan's service, Asatani Yoshiaki (朝谷義秋) and Asatani Masayoshi (朝谷正義), to raid lands managed by the Ashikaga and their retainers in December 1299. This they did to great success, with the elder of the two Yoshiaki even receiving Nitta's sister as his wife. However, the Ashikaga were prominent vassals of the Shogunate, and Houjou Sadatoki punished the Nitta by awarding the Ashikaga 2/3 of their lands, forcing them to dismiss the Asatani from their service, and placing Nitta under house arrest in Kamakura.

Thus as 1299 closed, the surviving Shogunate forces in the region--15,000 in all--converged in Harima Province. The frontlines had collapsed by over 100 kilometers in the span of just a few months, leaving the Mongols around a three day march from Kyoto. Responsibility for the disaster lay in internal disputes and the sheer success of Mongol tactics in crushing Shogunate armies. The Shogunate's crucial failure lay in their reluctance of abandoning land to the Mongols or conducting scorched earth campaigns. Further, they positioned their main defences much too forward, lacking any strategic reserve. Thus, once these fortifications and armies had been defeated, the Shogunate lost vast amounts of land.

Houjou Sadaaki's scorched earth campaign brought with it a degree of success. Mongol raids in Harima Province largely ceased as the Mongols were forced to reassemble their logistics network. Several isolated garrisons led by various castle lords put up great and tenacious fights due to aggressive plundering in Bitchu, Bizen, and Mimasaka, halting the Mongol army as they chose to consolidate their gains. Without Houjou's effort, it is very possible Burilgitei and Khayishan would have succeeded at finishing off the Shogunate's army come spring 1300 and laid siege to Kyoto that year.

The true benefactor of these sieges was Shi Bi, whose army remained as a rearguard to Nanghiyadai and Burilgitei. Although he commanded only 10,000 men due to frequently sending his men to reinforce other Mongol leaders, Shi proved highly efficient at sieges thanks to leaving the work to his engineer Ala-ud-din (阿老瓦丁) [11]. A native of Mosul, Ala-ud-din inherited the recently-deceased Ismail's position as the Yuan's finest Middle Eastern military engineer, yet had also proven his worth in field battles as an artillerist and leader of gunnery troops. Recommended by his fellow siege expert Li Ting himself, the cannons, bombs, and trebuchets built by Ala-ud-din proved overkill for the many fortified manors and improvised fortresses dotting the recently conquered provinces.

The other great Mongol offensive on Honshu in 1299, Tudghagh's efforts along the Sea of Japan coast, encountered less success. He attempted to use the chaos of the Rokkaku Disturbance to his advantage, yet most of the Sasaki clan and their retainers refused to join the Kingdom of Japan. It seems the small trickle of defectors and refugees from the Kingdom of Japan told enough stories of the harshness of darughachi supervision of land, exploitative foreign merchants, and disrespect of Shinto shrines that it gravely impacted the number of defectors. The influence of the staunchly anti-Mongol Nichiren school only made matters worse.

Seeing no large force opposing him, Tudghagh divided his men into two armies of 10,000 each, reinforcing himself with men from the Kingdom of Japan. The southern army under Tudghagh himself invaded Tanba Province on the very doorstep of Kyoto, while the northern army led by his son Chonghur attacked Tango along the coast. Their forces grinded their way through difficult mountains, constantly ambushed by those local lords who dare stand in their way.

The most notorious of these was Sakai Sadanobu (酒井貞信), a powerful local lord [12]. He defected to the Mongols in exchange for a small sum of gold and silver and permission to seize land from his brothers and cousins. However, Sakai encountered his younger brother in the Mongol army leading 100 men alongside Tudghagh's skilled cavalry commander Khur-Toda and learned he had been deceived. He helped guide Khur-Toda's cavalry on a raid deep into Tanba when he and several retainers betrayed the Mongols with the aid of the local akutou leader Shousei (生西) and his force of bandits. Sakai murdered his brother, slew Khur-Toda's son, and managed to kill nearly 200 others before he retreated to organise guerilla resistance.

These constant raids from the Shogunate took their toll on the Yuan army, least of all Tudghagh. In October 1299, he died in his sleep at the age of 62. Lacking any better choice of leader, his son Chonghur was forced to return from the campaign in Tango Province to assume command of his father's troops, a decision made official the following year.

At the time he retreated, Chonghur was busy besieging Yuminoki Castle (弓木城), among the largest fortifications in Tango and the home of the Inatomi clan. The History of Yuan claims Chonghur quickly rushed from the siege to his father's side in an act of filial piety, but the Japanese claim the lord of the castle, Inatomi Naosada (稲富直貞) [13] led a dramatic cavalry charge upon hearing of Takeda Tokitsuna's actions. Although taking great losses in the process (indeed, the castle fell with little resistance the following year), Inatomi captured a large stock of Mongol gunpowder, bombs, and hand cannons which would become a crucial vector by which gunpowder weapons reached Japan.

It was for the best that Chonghur retreated, for the Shogunate still had substantial power in this region. Indeed, the Houjou had ordered the lords of the Hokuriku region to mobilise an army of their own and fortify their castles, and already thousands of samurai under powerful local lords like Togashi Yasuaki (富樫泰明) and Gotou Motoyori (後藤基頼) were assembling. Further, the pirate Matsuura Sadamu was still active in the region, impeding supply by sea and threatening the Oki Islands and Sado Island. It is likely an advance into the Hokuriku region would have met with disaster--the north flank of Kyoto remained safe for the time being.

Even as winter of 1299 and early 1300 saw little combat from both sides, it was clear that 1300 would be a decisive year. The fate of Kyoto--and perhaps all Japan--hung in the balance as both sides reinforced their armies and fortresses and prepared themselves for great battles as the Mongols and their Japanese allies prepared to invade the heartland of the Yamato state itself.

---
Author's notes

This chapter demonstrates every failure of the Late Kamakura era coming to a head--neglect of Shogunate vassals (and in particular those from lesser branches of major families), problems with inconsistent court rulings and aforementioned neglect creating powerful bandit forces, and weak economy which in this emergency forces them to rely on the Imperial Court, thus drawing them ever deeper into their scheming. I do believe these underlying issues with the Kamakura Shogunate would have led to disasters on this magnitude had the Mongols gained a foothold and kept attacking.

In any case, the fighting only intensifies from here. Next chapter will cover the battles in Ezo and include some notes on Liaoyang and how the Yuan are dealing with the rebellion of Ainu and Nivkh there (i.e. the casus belli behind this war to begin with).

Thank you for reading!

[1] - Retired Emperor Go-Toba (後鳥羽天皇), who attempted to depose the Kamakura Shogunate during the Joukyuu War (1221-23), imprisoned Saionji Sanekane's grandfather and great-grandfather for leading a pro-Shogunate faction within the Imperial Court. Naturally the Saionji were greatly rewarded for their loyalty after Go-Toba's defeat.
[2] - Terada Hounen, a notorious akutou of the Late Kamakura era (although much of his notoriety arose from his actions after the 1290s). His circumstances were similar to Kusunoki Masato (impoverished warriors who had negative dealings with those whose land they oversaw), although it is unknown if they ever met. Let us assume that ITTL, the vast amount of akutou recruitment to fill emergency positions in the Kamakura Shogunate's army has let Terada and Kusunoki meet.
[3] - Yorioki is best known as Sassa Yorioki (佐々頼起), for some among the famous Sassa clan of the Sengoku era claimed him as their ancestor. While its undisputable the Sassa were an offshoot of the Sasaki, there are multiple genealogies for the Sassa and some link their ancestor to men other than Yorioki. At any rate, Yorioki was known as Sasaki Yorioki during his life.
[4] - The Kamakura era was somewhat of a nadir for Mount Hiei compared to its vast powers in the centuries before and after. Weakened noble patronage and internal disputes plus the general peace of the era led to it being less of a political force, although it was still powerful enough that no one wished to upset them.
[5] - Today Hayashino is part of Mimasaka, Okayama Prefecture. For many centuries, it was a regional market and river port
[6] - This was a specific sort of river boat used for carrying cargo in Japan since the Heian period. The early modern variety had a flatter bottom and sometimes even had sails, while the Kamakura one takasebune had deeper draught, lacked sails, and was perhaps between 6-10 meters long and 1-1.6 meters wide (going by Heian era documents).
[7] - This was probably better mentioned in a previous chapter when I noted the Houjou clan's efforts to streamline/increase military conscription, but these would technically be ashigaru. OTL, the ashigaru (conscripted peasant soldiers) did not truly emerge until the Nanboku-cho Wars of the mid/late 14th century, but the experience of the Mongol Invasions did give rise to proto-ashigaru formations. OTL however, from the Heian to late Kamakura eras, conscripted peasants usually avoided combat and instead managed the baggage train for the actual warriors.
[8] - Houjou Sadatoki had no brothers, so his father, the famous Houjou Tokimune, adopted Sadatoki's cousins Morotoki and Munekata
[9] - He was the second cousin of Adachi Yasumori, assassinated by Houjou Sadatoki both OTL and TTL in the 1285 Shimoutsuki Incident, but their surnames are spelled with different kanji (足立 vs 安達). Given Tomasa's uncle was forced to commit suicide in the Shimoutsuki Incident despite being far from Kamakura, I find it likely he would have joined Shouni Kagesuke in his defection and would have included him earlier in this story if I knew of him (I learn new things every day writing this TL).
[10] - Although the Kusunoki clan and their sympathisers claimed the background of mistreated Houjou personal vassals descended from the illustrious Tachibana family of court nobles, their actual forefather Kusunoki Masato was probably not a descendent of the Tachibana, was vassal of neither Houjou nor Shogunate and is mostly known for (according to official records) corruption and misadministration of temple lands he held as land steward. Potentially Masato's father had a similar career depending on how one interprets the records, making the father and grandfather of that famed paragon of loyalty, 14th century samurai Kusunoki Masashige, quite villainous figures!
[11] - The History of Yuan claims him as hailing from Mosul in modern Iraq and his exact ethnicity is unknown. Regardless, he and Ismail (who appeared in an earlier chapter, but would have been dead for several years based on his OTL death date, hence his lack of further appearances TTL) were undoubtedly two of the finest siege engineers of the Middle Ages given their stellar success against the numerous and imposing fortifications of Southern Song.
[12] - No relation to the more famous Sakai clan (i.e. Tokugawa Ieyasu's key lieutenant Sakai Tadatsugu) from Mikawa Province, who claimed to be descendents of the Nitta clan (but in actuality were probably descendants of Oe no Hiromoto like the Mouri clan).
[13] - Fictional name, although plausible since the kanji "直" (nao) appears often in names of members of this clan and "貞" (sada) is common among late 13th/early 14th century samurai due to Houjou Sadatoki. There does not seem to be a surviving record of who the lord of the Inatomi clan was in the late Kamakura era, but they are known to have built the castle and ruled it for several decades at that point. The clan was rather famous in the Sengoku era for their gunpowder prowess.