Henry Kissinger
Quentin Tarantino
Samuel Huntington
Paul Tsongas

Here is my list:

David Bowie
Alan Rickman (Someone had to ;))
Chris Claremont
John Byrne (Both rose to prominence on [Uncanny] X-Men, I know that Byrne lived in Calgary in the 1970s.)
"Weird" Al Yankovic
Ralph Klein (Did he ever become mayor of Calgary TTL?)
Ian McKellan
Yuji Naka
Dave Thomas
Rick Moranis
John Candy
Catherine O'Hara
Martin Short
Dan Akroyd
Harold Ramis
Ernie Hudson
Christopher Reeve
Margot Kidder
Michael J Fox
Christopher Lloyd

Last edited:
Bill Maher
Michael Moore
Rick Mercer
George Wallace
John F Kennedy Jr
Jim Henson
Roy Disney
Michael Eisner
Frank Wells
Rowan Atkinson
Guy Burgess
Stanley Kubrick
Arthur Clarke
Enoch Powell
Michio Kaku
James Stewart
Bob Hope
Katherine Hepburn
Hu Jintao (almost certainly a corpse)
Billy Joel
Bono
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
Benazir Bhutto
Manmohan Singh
Narendra Modi
Hamid Karzai
Grace Kelly
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Hassan Rouhani
Mohammed Khatami
Alexis Tsipras
James Roosevelt
Stan Getz
João Gilberto
Shinzo Abe
Salman Saudi (King Salman of Saudi Arabia)
Russell Crowe
Tenzin Gyatso (The Dalai Lama)
Terry Fox
Gerhard Schröder
John Major
Jacques Chirac
Hosni Mubarak
Mohammed Morsi
Ngo Quang Truong
Harold Wilson
Denis Healey
Princes Andrew and Edward (Anne was assassinated in TTL 1974)
Lady Diana Spencer
Duke of Edinburgh
David Croft
Jeremy Lloyd
Keith Rupert Murdoch
Bob Hawke
Robert Muldoon
Audrey Hepburn
Julie Andrews
Michael Palin
King Jigme Singye Wangchuck of Bhutan
Gyanendra of Nepal

Last edited:
Boris Yeltsin - Sverdlovsk Party Boss
Bill Cosby - hiding in WTP controlled areas after being diagnosed with a nervous breakdown - some women are saying nasty things about him.
Aung San Suu Kyi - shot in a "mysterious" burglary incident
John Tooby; Leda Cosmides - possibly at Harvard, in disfavor during the Rumsfeld years
Yegor Gaidar - MBA Communist theorist
Napoleon Chagnon - studying the Cuerdan movement
Michael Bloomberg - went to London to protect his business holdings
Vaclav Havel - house arrest
Steven Chu - same as OTL
Silvio Berlusconi - in prison after the attempted right wing coup in Italy
Madeleine Albright - teaching at Oxford
Dan Quayle - anti-Rumsfeld activist, living underground
Malcolm Gladwell - Canadian journalist
Jorge Mario Bergoglio - ha, ha! Possibly on Pope Pius XIII's staff
Sam Nunn - Democrat who survived Rumsfeldia by keeping a low profile
John Kovac - as OTL
Chris Hadfield - CAF
Ron Paul - Libertarian ideologue, possible leader in the Texas Republic movement
Jacques Attali - Mitterrand advisor
Alois Mock - Austrian politician in opposition
Joe Lieberman - sell-out in any time line
George H.W. Bush - as Governor of Texas until his nervous breakdown
William Gibson - author in Canada
Atul Gawande - trauma surgeon in New York (where he gets lots of practice)
Robert De Niro - WTP activist, actor on the guerrilla stage in New York
Pablo Escobar - rich drug lord, organizing militias to fight the Cuerdans
John Bolton - Uber Rumsfeldite now re-considering his life
Jon Leibowitz - nervous breakdown
Ante Markovic - Yugoslav politician, perhaps in jail. ITTL I expect there's a stronger impetus to hold Yugoslavia together - thus a more Stalinist regime
Francis Fukuyama - confused about the end of history
Henry Kissinger - Oxford exile, perhaps back in New York with Nixon
Quentin Tarantino - activist in California
Samuel Huntington - serious Rumsfeld critic
Paul Tsongas - nervous breakdown

Boris Yeltsin - Sverdlovsk Party Boss
Bill Cosby - hiding in WTP controlled areas after being diagnosed with a nervous breakdown - some women are saying nasty things about him.

Are those accusations real, or just slander cooked up the government?

manav95

Banned
Well, I disagree.

I think the entire Timeline was leading to this.

Hell, by the time Rumsfeld has been removed from office, the United States government has been effectively dismantled, the military is shattered and demoralized, the only coherent organized structure left in the apparatus of state are Christian Values ideologues. Democracy is a dead letter. The economy is in freefall. Politics of division have turned large parts of America into informal war zones, most of the mainstream leadership is dead, institutionalized or in hiding, the economy is in a massive freefall, and several states have openly or informally seceded. The Coup that deposed Rumsfeld has been run by religious fanatics.

What the did you expect? That CV lunatics who have taken over the government and are lead solely by their faith will suddenly turn into moderate democrats and country club republicans and magically reinstitute democracy? That a decade of division and brutality would magically right itself. The economy would pop back to life?

How the fuck is this happening? This is literally a fucking nightmare........... America is up SHIT CREEK WITHOUT A CANOE.......

But the rot and the decay has been happening since the start of this story, it isn't OTL USA going entering the climax of Rumsfeldia.

Seconded.

I recently reread Fear, Loathing, & Gumbo. As you all know, the POD is back in 1971. FLaG is renowned at AH.com for being a dystopia in which every nearly over the top event is set up in detail, giving it horrifying plausibility throughout. Anyway, from that starting point in 1971 a long series of increasingly horrible and demoralizing events and revelations occur that could give the most rational and informed American the impression of a slow-motion apocalypse. We've got things ranging from the release of the CIA Family Jewels at the right moment to accelerate the breakdown of faith in the American government; Agnew spewing apocalyptic misinformation on TV; Wallace doing similar for different reasons; breakdown in NATO cooperation; a crack pandemic; chemical and radiological warfare in Southern Africa; a theocratic bloody revolution in Saudi Arabia; communist revolution in Portugal and war between it and Fascist Spain; 500+ killed in a Bicentennial Day chemical terrorist attack; China as an Orwellian regime attacking neighbors, being a narco-state, and using nukes on itself.... that's all BEFORE Rumsfeldia begins in 1981, and I left a ton out.

Meanwhile in real life there's a large segment of the US population that, when asked respectfully, will admit to thinking we are approaching the End of Days in Revelation. That's real life, and the vast majority of those people don't really think about it in their daily lives.

But those same people stuck in ITTL 1988 with such a dystopia surrounding them, those thoughts could easily reach the surface. So, this TL having reached the point it has prior to the last update, I do believe the CV regime could find hundreds of thousands of mostly willing followers who actually believe it's the End Times, so all the rules of America and Civilization are over.

Last edited:
It's more ideological radalism will destroy America; just look what's happened to the founding fathers of American conservatism. Whilst Drew had a dim view of Conservatism, I wouldn't necessarily group USIS, a radical extreme of the Christian right, alongside the conservatives. Rums is also too nihilistic to represent Conservatism.

And all this because one man wanted to be President.

Still, the portrayal of conservatives in the Gumboverse can get a little strawman-ish at times.

bookmark95

Banned
Seconded.

I recently reread Fear, Loathing, & Gumbo. As you all know, the POD is back in 1971. FLaG is renowned at AH.com for being a dystopia in which every nearly over the top event is set up in detail, giving it horrifying plausibility throughout. Anyway, from that starting point in 1971 a long series of increasingly horrible and demoralizing events and revelations occur that could give the most rational and informed American the impression of a slow-motion apocalypse. We've got things ranging from the release of the CIA Family Jewels at the right moment to accelerate the breakdown of faith in the American government; Agnew spewing apocalyptic misinformation on TV; Wallace doing similar for different reasons; breakdown in NATO cooperation; a crack pandemic; chemical and radiological warfare in Southern Africa; a theocratic bloody revolution in Saudi Arabia; communist revolution in Portugal and war between it and Fascist Spain; 500+ killed in a Bicentennial Day chemical terrorist attack; China as an Orwellian regime attacking neighbors, being a narco-state, and using nukes on itself.... that's all BEFORE Rumsfeldia begins in 1981, and I left a ton out.

Meanwhile in real life there's a large segment of the US population that, when asked respectfully, will admit to thinking we are approaching the End of Days in Revelation. That's real life, and the vast majority of those people don't really think about it in their daily lives.

But those same people stuck in ITTL 1988 with such a dystopia surrounding them, those thoughts could easily reach the surface. So, this TL having reached the point it has prior to the last update, I do believe the CV regime could find hundreds of thousands of mostly willing followers who actually believe it's the End Times, so all the rules of America and Civilization are over.

I have my own theory about how Rumsfeldia became so terrible. Its largely because the man himself was affected by all these events

My feeling is that one of things that motivated Rumsfeld was Spiro Agnew's impeachment. Rumsfeld has been one of Agnew's biggest supporters and even tried to put into place a "false flag operation".

Of course, Agnew was impeached from public office before he could make "history".

In Rumsfeld's glasses covered eyes, he believed the forces and structures that allowed Agnew to be impeached (from constitutional barriers, to demands from NATO allies, to the economic system, to the antiwar movement, to Democrats) were a form of weakness, and why America couldn't effectively battle communism.

Thus Rumsfeld decided to rip apart these things, believing that they hobbled American strength. He removed constitutional barriers, put America into various global conflicts, reversed social progress, and put his political opponents behind bars. He was essentially Spiro Agnew, if Agnew had been more ruthless and clever. He wanted to be the man who changed America, and he would stomp on anything that got in his way.

Now if you think all this is implausible, let me remind you OTL of another western society weakened by war, recession, and political crisis that was hijacked by a nationalistic demagogue for his own twisted ends, and that country is Germany.

Rumsfeld OTL is in my opinion, a man who's ideas on foreign policy are looking for monsters underneath the bed, who weaves tales. The turmoil of the ITTL 70s along with the end of Agnew's presidency could have already altered his psyche and thinking

Alternate history shouldn't just be about changing events, its also about how those events affect individual humans.

Last edited:
I point to the current front runner for the Republican nomination and what he's said in the past three months, only for his numbers to go up.

And for examples in history, Pat Buchanan was the Republican frontrunner in 1996 and won the first few primaries before his appeal was stifled.

Status
Not open for further replies.