Rotten Recollections | An Experimental High Medieval World-Building Exercise

Opening
I've wanted to try my hand at this for a year or so, so please bear with me for a bit.

Inspired by a great many phenomenal timelines such as Union of American Realms, And All Nations Shall Gather To It and A House of Lamps, this is my highly experimental attempt at creating a high medieval world that mixes plausibility with fiction. At face value, it may seem like a cheeky attempt at evading responsibility for historical discrepancies that might arise from my own lack of knowledge on certain subjects, but with a small PoD in the 990s and a few larger ones in the 11th century, I think the kind of formatting I'll be attempting will suffice. If not, though, I encourage everyone to offer their two cents and suggest possible ways for me to improve this TL or its coming updates, I am always open to suggestions!

Due to the experimental and off-the-cuff nature of this timeline, updates are likely to be sporadic, as I will have to be researching certain topics as much as I possibly can before endeavoring to create updates that showcase the changes between this timeline and our own. Furthermore, as its title suggests, I will attempt to alleviate these concerns by having such a medieval setting have some unreliable sources, narrators whose tellings will not be as accurate or as truthful as they seem, as it was much harder, if not impossible to come across an objective writer during the time this TL is set in.

As for the time this exercise takes place? New Years' Day 1102. Reason? None in particular, except for some poetic parallelism between a certain realm that has inspired me to begin all this.

The realm in question? The medieval Kingdom of Croatia, specifically the intriguing power struggle between three brothers at the end of the first millennium on who exactly will inherit the holdings of their famous father. And believe it or not, there is already a TL made by yours truly covering exactly those events, but more on that after the very creative title card. Now, to open this TL...

Rotting Recollections TL Cover.png

As I've said before, The Cold Man of the Mountains is canon to this exercise and the beginning of changes from OTL:

Last edited:
I've wanted to try my hand at this for a year or so, so please bear with me for a bit.

Inspired by a great many phenomenal timelines such as Union of American Realms, And All Nations Shall Gather To It and A House of Lamps, this is my highly experimental attempt at creating a high medieval world that mixes plausibility with fiction. At face value, it may seem like a cheeky attempt at evading responsibility for historical discrepancies that might arise from my own lack of knowledge on certain subjects, but with a small PoD in the 990s and a few larger ones in the 11th century, I think the kind of formatting I'll be attempting will suffice. If not, though, I encourage everyone to offer their two cents and suggest possible ways for me to improve this TL or its coming updates, I am always open to suggestions!

Due to the experimental and off-the-cuff nature of this timeline, updates are likely to be sporadic, as I will have to be researching certain topics as much as I possibly can before endeavoring to create updates that showcase the changes between this timeline and our own. Furthermore, as its title suggests, I will attempt to alleviate these concerns by having such a medieval setting have some unreliable sources, narrators whose tellings will not be as accurate or as truthful as they seem, as it was much harder, if not impossible to come across an objective writer during the time this TL is set in.

As for the time this exercise takes place? New Years' Day 1102. Reason? None in particular, except for some poetic parallelism between a certain realm that has inspired me to begin all this.

The realm in question? The medieval Kingdom of Croatia, specifically the intriguing power struggle between three brothers at the end of the first millennium on who exactly will inherit the holdings of their famous father. And believe it or not, there is already a TL made by yours truly covering exactly those events, but more on that after the very creative title card. Now, to open this TL...

As I've said before, The Cold Man of the Mountains is canon to this exercise and the beginning of changes from OTL:

I...i...is this a Balkan-focused medieval TL? I think I might just have transcended the physical plane.

I love me a good balkan TL, particularly ones that focus on less typical countries, so basically any country except for Greece and Bulgaria.

Your Croatian TLs look good so far (I've just started reading TPOACR, the vibe I'm getting is a less evil NDH, is that correct? So far it seems pretty interesting, and of course this looks very promising).

As rare as Balkan TLs may be, medieval Balkan TLs even rarer. I think there's just this and that Slovenia wank on this site (that's high tier stuff too). Like, the only South Slavic medieval POD that I ever see is the Serbian empire, which is cool, but people only really know about it because it was a meme in the early 2000s so such TLs tend to fall flat due to a lack of knowledge and research.

You seem to know quite a bit about Croatian history (you're a Croat, right? Or at least some kind of South Slav? I can hardly believe many other people would know or care this much about Croatian history) and I liked the samples I've read, so I have high hopes for TTL. Medieval Croatia is especially nice to see, as while, like anything in the ex-Yugo region, it will be heavily politicized, it's way less touchy in terms of terrible atrocities than say wwII or anything that happened in Yugoslavia in the 90s so you can have more fun with it.

The whole concept of a premodern graphics TL is pretty rare, but I believe you can do it. The idea of subjective writers makes sense and could go a long way in giving us a window into the minds of TTLs people if done right.

Good luck. I'm gonna watch this thread for sure.

[Edit: if I'm not supposed to comment, feel free to delete.]

It'll mostly be Balkan-focused, yes, but I do intend to try and showcase some other PoDs that I have taken a liking to during research, such as a monarchist Venice and a strong Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of England. :)

As for TPOACR, yes, ever since I've taken interest in history itself the point of divergence of that story always intrigued me, seeing as that period IOTL is the most shameful part of my country's history, and for good reason. Indeed, I've always been turned off from creating a Croatian War of Independence TL for that precise reason, as there seem to always be outliers ready to strike at anything they perceive as even remotely insulting to them or their national pride, and in the Balkans, that kind of stuff is especially apparent.

Thank you for your support! I intend to have the first update out in the next few days!

It'll mostly be Balkan-focused, yes, but I do intend to try and showcase some other PoDs that I have taken a liking to during research, such as a monarchist Venice and a strong Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of England. :)

As for TPOACR, yes, ever since I've taken interest in history itself the point of divergence of that story always intrigued me, seeing as that period IOTL is the most shameful part of my country's history, and for good reason. Indeed, I've always been turned off from creating a Croatian War of Independence TL for that precise reason, as there seem to always be outliers ready to strike at anything they perceive as even remotely insulting to them or their national pride, and in the Balkans, that kind of stuff is especially apparent.

Thank you for your support! I intend to have the first update out in the next few days!

I look forward to seeing it. Broadening the focus is gonna be interesting as well, those other PODs be sounding pretty juicy, ngl.

People of the World, Part I - Cresimir III
Cresimir III, affectionately named the Crusader by his allies and foes alike, had ruled for an unnaturally long period of time for a Croatian ruler. The long six and twenty summers had the man's mane of hair turn from light brown all the way to hardy silver, and his strength was tested too many times to count, most notably including the two crusades the man had led his people to in the name of Christendom.

The Trpimirović ruler's early life is shrouded in mystery and hearsay. Known by all as a man of few words and a man of many deeds, his past is a rather modestly documented affair. Most do not even candidly know the truth behind his parentage, and true to this description, Cresimir never made the effort to disclose it.

Some believe that Cresimir was a distant relative of the Trpimirović dynasty through Svetoslav the Cold's late brothers, some even said that he was the direct descendant of one of the Usurper Kings of yore and his Venetian wife, and some called him a fortunate bastard caught in the right place at the right time. Nevertheless, what many are sure of is the fact that Cresimir had spent most of the reign of his infamous predecessor Miroslav in the northern Croatian fortress of Sisak as part of the Silent Monks.

The religious order, founded after the end of the Rebellion of Whispers as Svetoslav's depraved way of warning his enemies never to rise against him ever again, became a rather popular organization in the years that had arrived following the Cold King's much-awaited demise, and in the wars that brought great destruction to the Croat realm not long after, the Silent Monks seemed like a miracle in those times of grave danger, offering warmth, comfort and safety as men lost their wives, women, children and homes to wanton violence of their enemies.

Rumours mention Cresimir was brought to the order's door as a mere babe, though there is no way to verify any of those claims, for even if any members of the disbanded order were around, the unofficial verbeage assumed to have been spoken by its members would once more ring true – Service above words. Silence above it all. Therefore, Cresimir was nigh certainly an unknown and unimportant entity, until the Great Succession Crisis of 1076.

At the time Michael II Slavian, King of the Croats, of the Dalmatians and of the Narentanians, passed from this mortal plain a relatively young man, being in his mid-forties at the time. Unfortunately for the ruling Trpimirović dynasty, Michael had no heirs to his name, not even bastard sons. His wife had passed some summers before him, and the venerable ruler could not rid himself of the grief that would soon render him utterly unable to hold most public functions. It only made sense when his lifeless husk of a body was found by his faithful servants in the Klis Fortress.

Ban Slavac of the Kukar Tribe, the King's right-hand man and most trusted adviser, called upon the representatives of the Twelve Noble Tribes of the Realm to attend the great council in Klis to decide the successor to Michael before the situation could possibly get out of hand and be exploited by the Venetians, who no doubt sharpened their swords in patient waiting after Michael's takeover of Dalmatia.

The Great Council of 1076, as it would come to be named, convened during the hot summer days and cold purple nights, and only a few men thought themselves worthy to wrap themselves in its ruling cloak. Yet, none of them could gain the support of the majority of its members, even after over a dozen unsuccessful rounds.

Out of nowhere, though, at the gates of Klis appeared a man of a rather warrior-like build whose face was hidden underneath the brown veil of his priestly cloak. He mentioned to have come from the far northern region of Slavonia all the way to the realm's capital in hopes of gaining an audience with the Ban.

What happened afterwards, though, remains a matter of legend. In front of the unimpressed tribal representatives, the priest gained the audience that he had wanted, though he remained wordless at every pointed accusation and unruly remark by the representatives. Unfazed, he merely procured a letter from his pocket bearing the seal of Michael II. To the shock of everyone, the Ban had read it out loud, he himself unable to maintain his calm and collected composure as certainty overcame him soon after – that truly was the late king's writing.

The letter had been a melancholy one, a sad man's final thoughts as he had expected to leave this world for the one in the skies, though the matter that was most peculiar was no cheap jape at all, for the crucial part of Michael II's letter read: „I am not long for this world. I send my finest regards to you, for you are my blood, and I hope that one day you will be able to become a better man than me on this throne. The wretched old thing has weighed far too heavy on my loins ever since I brought the Lecher down.“

The candidates for the throne slowly gave up their claims one by one as Radovan of the Konduran Tribe, son of former Headman of the Neretva and King of Croatia Vojnomir, forced everyone to accede to the letter's wishes. The only words attributed to the king-to-be that day were, thenceforth, written down in history as "I shall serve this realm as I have served its commoners for the past thirty summers – undeterred, uncompromising, unerring."

Radovan Konduran makes the case for Cresimir (1076 AD).png

Radovan Konduran making a case for Cresimir
The most worrying matter of Cresimir III's first few years wearing the Crown was the destruction of the Kingdom of Hungary. The vast realm to the north had been fighting its own civil war since the death of Emeric the Peaceful in 1077, whose marriage remained heirless, meaning that the main branch of the ruling Árpád dynasty had gone from this Earth with him. Andrew, a distant relative of Emeric's, pressed his claim on the throne as the man who had the blood necessary to take it. He, much to his misfortune, was not the only one.

Michael II Slavian had long contemplated whether to back one of the factions on the eve of Emeric's own life, but decided against it, for he did not know who the King of Hungary's preferred successor would be. Cresimir shared much of his former King's sentiments, instead raising levies in the borderlands close to the Drava river to reinforce Croatian control of Slavonia. Then, however, the worst came to pass.

The origins of the Pannonian Crusade are too numerous to count, but with Papal approval, the nobles from all over Europe had readily raised their banners in defiance against Kanikaras and his pagan Patzinak hordes that swept over war-torn Hungary almost to the Drava River.

It would take nigh seven years to beat the barbarian back, yet the Crusaders would be successful all the same, with many obscure nobles making a name for themselves by showing their courage and honour on the bloody battlefields.

Cresimir, never being one to rest easy, occupied a large spot at the negotiating table regarding the future of the hopeless nation that the Árpáds had built only a couple of decades past and one that now lay in ruin before them. Because of his tremendous contribution to the war effort and his past as a Catholic monk. In spite of his predecessors' aversion to the Silent Monks, who had seen them as yet another heretical group, Urban II changed course and attempted to bring Cresimir into his orbit after the Holy Roman Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary still recovered from the destructive decades past.

As such, Cresimir was allowed to expand his dominion onto all of the Hungarian territory on the right bank of the Danube while the rump Crusader State of Hungary was reformed into a newly fledged Kingdom.

This kind of expansion also provided the need for Cresimir to switch capitals because of the need to closely monitor the newly acquired northernmost territories of Transdanubia, or Zadunavlje in Cresimir's mother tongue. As such, with his royal decree, he moved his court to Sisak, citing its strategic importance on the confluence of the Kupa into the Sava River, but most attribute it to his nostalgia for the fledgling settlement, as he spent most of his youth serving there. Urban II elevated the Church of the Saint Cross in Sisak to Diocese in late 1088 as a way of showing his open support to Cresimir and his reign.

Using the tactic of division and conquest, Cresimir III expanded the power of the surviving lesser Hungarian nobles while working against the larger landholders of the north. Largely successful, he became a beloved figure with most of the leading members of the Hungarian nobility who would soon begin to integrate into the Croatian administrative system.

In 1092, another plea would arrive from Rome and from Constantinople. A new Crusade, a new attempt at rescuing Christendom from the pits of heresy. Cresimir, naturally, would answer the call, for his piety was obvious to all his courtiers and even the rulers of the Old World themselves. This one, however, provided much less prestige to the realm itself, as many deem the Asian Crusade to be Cresimir's selfish adventure and nothing more. Nevertheless, he had accrued several notable victories in liberating the Holy Land, working closely with other nobles to alleviate Rhoman Emperor Alexius' growing pains against the Muslims.

Cresimir III the Crusader (Ardor - Two Towers 2002).png

Cresimir on the battlements during the Siege of Antioch
In 1099, after seeing the bickering and unfit nobles quarrel among themselves for the spoils of the Holy Land, Cresimir would once again return to his capital in Sisak a tired, old man, his beard as thick and as silvery as the stone of the Klis Fortress. His voice, already such a treasured and rare occurrence during the court proceedings, would wane in its final days, the weight of the invisible boulders in his throat and shoulders becoming too much for him to carry on his own.

He would retreat into his study, only allowing his servants and closest advisers inside to pray with him in front of the cross he had ordered be built to accommodate the rulers of his realm to come.

Return of Cresimir the Crusader to Croatia (c. 1901).jpg

Cresimir the Crusader returns to his homeland one last time
In the present, it is evident to many that Cresimir is counting his final days on this Earth, but none know who his heir may be, for he took no wives, no concubines nor consorts, likely an old vow reaching back to his days in the Monks before their dissolution. No outsiders may be aware of just what exactly is unravelling in the realm of Croatia, as no one may be sure to predict whether Radovan Konduran would make a move for the throne or if the Headman of the Neretva would uphold the Royal Succession Decree of 1030 that forbade this Trpimirović cadet branch from having any say in the matter of succession.

Another unpredictable turn of events is the fact that Cresimir III had legally allowed the lesser Hungarian noble families into the Great Council of the Noble Tribes, bringing their official number to Seventeen. No one is certain whether they will attempt to break Transdanubia away and return it to the orbit of Hungary, now under Mark I, also known as the Bastard. Ugrin of the Kukar Tribe, one of the dying king's most trusted advisers is also one that many suspect would attempt to position himself as the scion of a new dynasty on the throne of Croatia.

Who knows what the future holds, for the cards of fate will only show themselves once an old warrior mutters his last breath before the Holy Cross…

RIP Bruce Allpress, whose fearsome looks provided me with the idea and life of Cresimir III a year back. So long, Aldor…

Last edited:
People of the World, Part II - Pietro III Orseolo
Having been born during the Golden Age of Venice and raised during its darkest hour, Pietro Orseolo always planned several steps ahead, for he did not desire the same fate to befall him as did his predecessor Ezio I. Upon his birth, the ailing Doge of Venice and his great-granduncle Ottone the Great was cited as saying that "he had his late father Pietro's eyes, strong spirit too". From then on, it seemed that the hands of Fate would cautiously guard the young Pietro against his enemies.

His childhood, however, did not shape up to be a perfect one, for Ezio was ousted from power as Doge by the enemies of Venice, who accused the Orseoli of nepotism and shameless power-grabbing. The entire Orseolo family was exiled from Venice Proper, but not before Ezio was publicly shamed by having his luscious beard and mane of hair shaved and thrown into the Grand Canal.

Pietro found himself living in Ragusa since the age of one-and-ten, by then already a fortified stronghold of the family after over half a century of direct influence and financial backing of the now-prospering settlement. The reasoning for this was manifold, naturally, as it served to protect Orseoli interests against their Slavic enemies to the north and the sporadic Rhoman diplomatic malaise from the southeast. Influence over easternmost Venetian territories notwithstanding, the disgraced Orseolo family still forced itself to accept the newly established political status quo in La Serenissima's capital purely on the basis of survival, for there was nigh certain chance of their holdings being beset from all sides by barbarians and vengeful foes should they have pursued vengeance at the time.

Pietro, on the other hand, flourished much like the city he spent his childhood in. Frequently visiting local markets and fisheries of the Pearl of the Adriatic, he quickly became the most cosseted Orseolo in the city, even surpassing his namesake and Captain of Ragusa, who took the young man's popularity in stride, and as Pietro the Younger grew, his unpopular father Ezio was largely sidelined in the former's favour at the Captain's court.

Ragusa during Captain Pietro's time, c. 1070s.jpg

Rough imagining of what Ragusa had looked like during Captain Pietro's time
The situation on the eastern coasts of the Adriatic largely deteriorated however, as a string of impotent Doges took the reins of Venice after Ezio's ousting from power. The peak of such weakness had occurred in the late 1060s when Michael Slavian of Croatia and of Neretvia had joined forces with the treacherous Duke Amico the Norman to expel the vaning Venetian control from the coastal Romanized cities of Dalmatia.

The defensive efforts turned out to be an utter failure, and the crisis in Venice deepened. Not helping matters any was also the tension between Venice and the southernmost Italian territories under the control of Robert Guiscard, Duke of Apulia, of Calabria and of Sicily over trading rights, which the Venetians wanted to go in their favour after the devastating loss of Dalmatia.

Pietro, always a man to pounce upon an opportunity the moment he noticed one, had married Agata, eldest daughter of merchant and liberal church benefactor Domenico Contarini, thus allowing himself to enter Venetian politics from the shadows. Due to Ragusa being untouched by the wars that devastated the Venetian economy in the Interregnum, Pietro's purse was always deep with coin, which allowed him to bribe many oligarchs in the Venetian Assembly (heretofore referred to as the Concio) to begin advocating for an Orseolo restoration.

The fruits of his labour proved worthwhile in 1076 with the uncertain end of Agostino Michiel's reign as Doge. Derogatorily referred to as The Impotent, the final sennights of his reign are a mystery to the contemporary man, for there are no records of his fate that followed, altthough if his misname is anything to go by, it is likely that a fate worse than Ezio's befell the old man, whether it be the pestilence that raged the Most Serene Republic at the time or the vengeful hands of the Venetian people.

Using his wealth and the Concio's lack of morale in the Republic's institutions, Pietro always fondly talked of the Venetian Golden Age that Ottone Orseolo had created during parleys, earning him more and more support before ultimately being ushered into office on Roman winter solstice day at the end of the year. Immediately, Pietro III began to enable important reforms into the everyday life of the Most Serene Republic. Having taken a liking to the Contarini goodman's selfless donations to the Catholic Church, Pietro would peacefully negotiate relaxations of tariffs from both the realms of Cresimir and the Guiscards to reinvigorate the Venetian economy. While relations with Duke Robert remained icy, the relationship with Cresimir flourished, much to everybody's surprise.

The relations between Venice and Croatia could have never been described as anything but fiercely antagonistic, as for over two hundred years the two realms have stained their swords with each other's blood in a series of wars and petty disputes. Two Doges lost their lives during those conflicts, and Pietro III had no intention of following in both his namesakes' footsteps.

Having met with Cresimir and his courtiers in 1078 on the island of Ugliano, Pietro III was reportedly taken aback by Cresimir's mannerisms and stoic nature, as he recalled numerous descriptions of his great-granducle's quieter, more contemplative moments that his ancestors had told him stories of. Many deem this the reason why Pietro largely achieved famously warm relations with Cresimir during their concurrent reigns. The Croato-Venetian Agreement of 1078, signed and approved by both rulers and written on parchment as well as engraved in stone, lessened the burdens of the recently enforced Croatian taxes on Venetian ships that had been sporadically in place since Doge Pietro III Candiano's unsuccessful naval campaign over one hundred and thirty summers prior.

Unlike some of his opponents in the Concio, Pietro III advocated for a lively foreign policy, and as a result of this, Venice would join the Pannonian Crusade against Kanikaras' Patzinak horde, aiding the Papal forces against the heathen invaders. Before his joining the Crusade, however, Pietro would sign a treaty with the Rhoman Empire not too dissimilar to the one with Cresimir, where he would aid Emperor Alexius in his defense of the Rhoman realm in exchange for greater trade benefits across the latter's territories.

Pietro III Orseolo (James Murray - Medici Masters of Florence 2016).png

Pietro III negotiating with Alexius Comnenus
During the negotiations regarding the fate of Hungary, Pietro desired a strong foreign ruler on its throne, for the bickering native nobles could not find a man to unify behind and to put forth as a viable candidate for the esteemed position, long before established and strengthened by Stephen and Emeric, whose descendants all perished during the Pannonian Crusade.

A shocking alternative had arisen, though, as Pietro's negotiations behind the scenes with Robert Guiscard ensured a sound man would inherit the throne of Hungary and be voted on in the meantime. The saddened Hungarians had no choice but to accept.

The Orseolo Doge's next goal was a domestic one – the majestic Patriarchal Cathedral Basilica of Saint Mark was adorned with additional towers and the newest Romanesque-style semicircular arches for windows, doors, and the Basilica's arcades. This endeavour proved to be one of the Doge's most popular actions, and many nobles that once ousted his father Ezio and vehemently opposed Orseoli restoration now openly voiced their support for Pietro. With prestige built both abroad and at home, Pietro became as venerated as his great-granduncle over forty years prior. The shameful Interregnum that the nobles put the Most Serene Republic in for fifteen summers was now merely a sad, pathetic memory most had buried underneath the surface. Pietro, however, always recalled those days when some nobles thought themselves better than him and opposed some of his policy suggestions.

With his opposition in tatters, Pietro was free to join forces with the Pope in the Asian Crusade, offering to transfer the Christian troops by ship over to Asia Minor and the East to attack the Muslim invaders of the Holy Land. In turn, however, Pietro demanded one peculiar knight a favour deemed inordinant by many – he demanded Godfrey of Bouillon be bethrothed to his youngest sister Cristina. The Duke of Lower Lorraine was outraged at the demand, though he had no choice but to accept, for the Holy Land needed to be liberated.

Pietro's relations with his siblings as well as his father Ezio increasingly deteriorated during his tenure as Doge. Many think Pietro deems himself the only man worthy of attempting to relive the incredible achievements of Ottone the Great, while Ezio's other seed is merely cattle to be bartered with on a whim. Thus, Pietro had, just before the Pope issued the proclamation for the Asian Crusade, locked his father into a small fort on top of Mount Sergius, one of the many hills within the city of Ragusa after accusing him of attempting to usurp him.

Ezio's forceful confinement had lasted nigh four long summers in the prison, one that Pietro himself ordered built specifically for his father's accommodations, though they were anything but. According to everyone who had witnessed the paltry conditions of the tightly confined space there, and with it being struck nigh everyday by heavy storm-winds, as they are called by those of a more superstitious disposition, the place is still thought cursed beyond the good grace of the Lord.

Having heard of those rumours, the moment his father left this Earth the whole prison was destroyed stone by stone, and most of the remains scattered throughout the city, the Adriatic Sea, Venice proper or unsuccessfully sold to merchants, who had vehemently opposed any such transactions, allegedly saying on numerous occasions that the stone itself was cursed. The place where Ezio perished only a few years back now bears the unceremonious moniker of Weeping Eagle's Hill, a mark of shame that should, as it is more than likely it will not, plague the man who stomped over his family in the pursuit of vanity and glory.

Pietro, though, ruthless as he was, thought nothing of the matter, instead ordering the construction of a small Romanesque-style church dedicated to the memory of those who gave their lives for the continued serenity of Venice. The construction of the building is still, to this day, overseen by Patriarch of Grado and descendant of Ottone's line, Augusto Orseolo.

A monster to some, a benevolent leader to others, Pietro Orseolo certainly is a man not to be trifled with, for his connections reach far and wide throughout the Old World, his family's influence and money ensuring they are deep within the core of the Most Serene Republic and that they were there to stay. It stands to reason he is watching the withering of his supposed ally to the east with sharpened fangs and a knowing, predatory glint in his eyes. Nobody knows what is about to happen, nor is anyone daring to take a guess…

People of the World, Part III - Vojnomir the Protector's Brood
By the time Vojnomir, the second son of King Stephen II of Croatia, of Dalmatia and of Neretvia had taken the reins of the weakened nation, isolation became the flavour of the day within the realm. The reign of his predecessor left far too many wounds and cracks of the War of the Kinsmen unattended. The festering, gangrenous things had, thus, largely evaded the royal court's attentive attempts at cleansing them. Whether it was for the courtiers' general lack of ability or care for these matters, it is up to debate even to this day. What is certain, however, is that Vojnomir had not seen a Ban rule alongside his king for any longer than three summers ever since Božetjeh's death, only half a dozen moon cycles before his own father's.

Mayhaps it was a curse meant to punish his grandfather's kin for his own misgivings and uncouth deeds, mayhaps it rather depended on the quality, or lack thereof of the persons that the King himself had appointed. What is quite certain, however, is which one of these thoughts Vojnomir had favoured.

Though it is unclear whether or not Vojnomir had taken the reins of power peacefully upon his kinsman's passing, what is straightforward is that it had all occurred on a cold winter's day, where the heavy snowfall menacingly overshadowed the Sun itself and made for the most frigid Sun cycle in living memory – surely a sign of things to come.

Much like the rumours following his unfeeling person, Vojnomir's children had likely suffered from the same relations that Vojnomir would pressure his new courtiers into. Nevertheless, each and every one of them, six women and one man, would later in their lives openly admit that they greatly respected the kind of upbringing present at Vojnomir's seat of Mokro during his tenure as the Headman of the Neretva and later at Knin as he remained regent for the three young brothers left behind by their late kingly father.

The eldest daughter of Vojnomir was Zima. Born during one of the harshest winters in Croatia during her grandfather Stephen II's rule, she would retain the reserved, cold visage her father had crafted for himself before. Her cunning nature was immediate from the start, for she always found new ways of attaining the things she had desired from people all around her, whether they were her siblings or Vojnomir's closest advisers at court.

Rosa, Vojnomir and Maslenica of Neretvia's second daughter, was birthed just as the short-lived king passed away and the claimants made their moves to conquer the throne of Croatia for themselves. During the War of the Kinsmen, Vojnomir was tasked with defending his County against the Venetian onslaught, as the Golden Lion lay waste on island after island of Dalmatia while the Kinsmen murdered each other. As the Venetians attempted to attack Neretvia, Vojnomir held them back, but one man cannot hope to save an entire kingdom all on his own.

As the islands finally fell to Venice, Doge Ottone proclaimed an important victory and the War of the Kinsmen was brought to its unceremonious conclusion, Vojnomir's third daughter was birthed – Vojislava. Despite her wholly inapt name and symbolism behind it, it still remained a testament to the resolve of the Neretvians and of Vojnomir's character, for the bubbling resentment he felt toward the new eastern Adriatic hegemon was palpable, his dry humour and cynical wit ever stronger at every mention of them during court proceedings.

Despite all his closest male relatives staking out their own claims for the throne of Croatia at the beginning of the War, Vojnomir made none at all, his duty and the promise of his grandfathers still ringing true to him. Unfortunately for the Konduran Tribe, the Headman of the Neretva made himself a persona non grata in the eyes of any winning claimant that was to take the Klis Fortress for themselves, as his perceived inability to choose sides made a lot of men deem his actions as nothing less than treason.

Vojnomir Konduran (Sean Bean - Medici 2016).png

Vojnomir Konduran brooding in his solar in Mokro
During the reign of the Kinsmen's War winner, Vojnomir's wife gave him two more daughters – Dubravka and Domaslava. Yet, even after siring five children, the God Above seemed to have mocked Vojnomir, for he still had no male heir to his name nor his holdings. Deacon Adam of the Monastery of Saint Bartholomew in Mokro cites this as the main reason why Vojnomir's relations with his daughters were laconically fond during the best of times, and incomprehensibly distant during the worst. In 1045 the King passed, though not before inviting Vojnomir to have an audience with him for the first time since the War.

During this meeting, the King was thought to have written a letter bearing the royal seal in which Vojnomir's actions in the war were reaffirmed, and he was duly appointed regent until Trpimir's eldest son Miroslav reached his majority. This is also believed to be the first time that Vojnomir had earnestly smiled, for his whole life's work, once insulted and believed unworthy of his stature and name now stood respected and tall, and he took this duty with open arms and a welcoming determination.

Just as his predecessor released his last breaths on this Earth, Vojnomir's sixth daughter was born. Utjeha, as her name suggested, was meant to bring solace to the people of the isolated realm, though empty gestures such as those did not really endear the regent to anyone but his most loyal men. Nevertheless he trudged on, resolute and undeterred in his duties.

Save for putting down a revolt of tree-worshipping pagans in the County of Pset, Vojnomir's reign was not one of outstanding achievements. Wroth with tragedy and his self-imposed isolation of the kingdom at large, his rule in Miroslav's stead is still counted by many within the so-called Dark Age, where loneliness and inability to project power seemed to have plagued Croatia and nigh brought it to ruin.

In 1049, during one of the royal hunting parties in the woods around Knin, Vojislava passed away upon being struck by an arrow through her skull by one of her servants. Despite it being deemed an accident by all who attended, Vojnomir was shaken with grief, though many believed he more deemed it an affront to his family's name than anything closer to losing a loved one. He ordered the servant's arrest and during the poor man's stay in the chambers of one of the darkest cells in Knin, Vojnomir is thought to have flayed the man with a dulled knife. The screams, some say, still ring out in the forests around Knin, though whether the screams are the servants or Vojislava's, none know, nor are there any who find it worth their luck to find out.

By 1050, Vojnomir began to suffer from the same illness as his predecessor. Feeling himself getting weaker with each passing day, he ordered his family be moved from the royal capital in Knin to Mokro. None may know why he decided to do so, as his detractors believe he intended to usurp the throne from Miroslav, who he deemed a dangerous man unable to shake his bodily vices, and to put Miroslav's younger brother on the throne, a much calmer and more controlled man by nature. Nevertheless, during the winter of that same year, Vojnomir would pass away without as much as a last will, and thus leave the running of the realm to Miroslav.

Meanwhile, the dying Vojnomir knew not that his wife of past twenty-something summers was pregnant once more, though her age did seem to present a problem for her and the doctors at the Neretvian court, as she found the bearing of her seventh child to be a far more difficult task than any of her previous daughters. Many attributed this to her advanced age, and fear of bearing a stillborn for the second time in her life brought Maslenica and her remaining daughters unimaginable weariness and pain.

The next year, when spring already began to wrest the nature away from winter, Maslenica brought the child to the world, though none knew just what that would entail. The daughter of the former nobleman of Neretvia would die with the child half-way outside, and the doctors cut her stomach to force the seventh child of Vojnomir the Protector outside on Zima's orders. In the end, the child would be a male, though none of it mattered now, as it would meet neither of his parents. Zima and her four sisters named the child Radovan, as a hopeful sign of good things that would come from this.

With her mother gone, Zima took up the role of Radovan's regent, intending to raise her brother the same way her father had done with her all those years ago. In spite of these sanguine thoughts, on Radovan's second birth-day his regent received word of her sister Dubravka passing away, apparently having drowned at sea whilst returning from a trip to Brač and visiting a potential candidate for betrothal.

Zima Konduran (unknown - Dacey Mormont RP).png

Zima during the regency for Radovan
The Lecher's reign turned out to be a far greater tragedy than that of his father's, and the consequences of it could be felt as far away as Neretvia in the southeast. Regent Zima, on the other hand, continued raising Radovan with her sisters' assistance, and according to many, after a decade having passed following Vojnomir's death, Zima would enter secret talks with Mihajlo Slavijan, Miroslav's younger brother. For a few years it was not known what the talks would amount to, but upon the raising of Mihajlo Slavijan's banners in open rebellion in 1064 Anno Domini, many finally became certain.

The rebellion was rather hasty, having lasted for seven moon cycles before Miroslav II's corpse was prostrated upon the floor of the palace at Knin before Mihajlo Slavijan's feet. The subsequent coronation was attended by all the nobles throughout the realm who had sided with Mihajlo Slavijan, now Michael II Slavijan, including Zima, Rosa, Domaslava, Utjeha and Radovan representing the victorious Konduran Tribe, while those who surrendered were allowed to watch from the furthest corners of the large audience.

During the time of Michael II's ushering of reforms, Zima slowly gave more and more power to her youngest sibling and brother, thus relinquishing her influential position of regent, but just as Radovan had officially reached his majority, Michael II Slavijan called his banners once more – this time to reclaim Venice. Radovan sought to go, but Zima refused to even consider it, fearing the potential developments if he were to die somewhere on the desolate rocks and islands of Dalmatia. Instead, her sisters Rosa and Domaslava, most impulsive and warmongering of late Vojnomir's brood, were sent as assurances of loyalty to the great reformer-king.

Rosa would return triumphant from the war, though Domaslava would not be as fortunate. During the reclaiming of Rab island, Domaslava was cut down during an ambush in one of the dense, black forests found there, while Rosa would receive a nasty cut across her whole face, blinding her in one eye and rendering her one of the ugliest creatures one should ever have called a woman, if Deacon Elias of the Monastery of Saint Bartholomew's word is anything to go by.

Zima remained one of Radovan's most trusted advisers, and she is, even after her passing, deemed the most important person behind Radovan's successful marriage to Slavomira of the newly elevated Goryan Tribe (Gorjanski in the tongue of the Slavs), now the Headmen of the County of Livno after Michael's Rebellion. Mostly, though, her actions behind the scenes also made her one of the most dangerous and influential women in the realm's history, almost as close as Helena the Glorious, the mother of her great grandfather.

Rosa, after her participation in the Dalmatian War, retired to her husband's castle at Stori Grod on Hvar island, helping him raise their two healthy daughters and spreading her fierce and independent nature on both of them. She would pass away around 1079 Anno Domini, purportedly from the sweating sickness.

Utjeha decided to stick close to both Zima and Radovan, happily helping them with the Kondurans' county's affairs, and in spite of it all, her loyalty to her brother remains ever high and present. In 1090, Zima would pass away in her sleep, leaving behind her grief-stricken sister, as well as her brother Radovan. The Konduran Headman of the Neretva, upon finding out about her death, ordered a month of mourning at his court in Mokro, with everyone having to wear black uniforms during the proceedings and insubordination being punished with whipping.

Earliest known coat of arms of the House of Conduran (c. 1090s).jpg

Earliest known coat of arms of the Konduran Tribe, c. 1090s

In the present, Radovan remains a well-respected man, his influence and control of the County of Neretvia making the Konduran Tribe synonymous with the pirating Paganian realm of yore. His two children, son Družak and daughter Jelena, are also attempting to make a name for themselves in the ever-evolving world of politics and cutthroat medieval relations. None are certain as to what aspirations for the throne of Croatia Radovan truly holds, if he does have any at all, but with Cresimir III slowly withering away, it may be possible that the Kondurans will, for once in their existence, go against the promises and duties bestowed upon them by their forefathers, and make a claim on the throne they had vowed never to take.

Last edited:
People of the World, Part IV - House of Godwin
When men bespeak of legendary fighters and warriors throughout the history of man, more than a few easy smiles and eager words mention the Burning Star himself – Harold II, son of Godwin and King of the English. The reasons are clear with anyone who knows the history of the Isles. Formerly the furthermost Roman province, upon the invasion of the Anglo-Saxon tribes the many petty kingdoms by now known were formed as the so-called Heptarchy – Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Kent, Essex, Wessex and Sussex.

The petty kings warred among one another for hundreds of years, and the title of King of the English, or Rex Anglorum, was not in widespread use until Athelstan the Noble Stone's royal charter in 928 Anno Domini. The usage since Athelstan's death was a matter of dispute, with many Normans and Danes oft-attacking the Isles in hopes of taking the title for themselves. Houses of Wessex and of Denmark frequently changed their ruling positions in the second millennium of Our Lord. In 1066 matters came to a head, as the Year to Conquer England began, as it was aptly named by historians and other men of knowledge alike.

Harold, hailing from a powerful family with ties to Canute Sweynsson, former North Sea Emperor and King of the English, became one of the most influential nobles on the Isles during this time. However, what really brought Harold Godwinson into the fray of English politics were his close ties with King Edward the Confessor through marriage with the latter's sister, which would bear him three sons and two daughters and a later marriage to Edith of Mercia which yielded two sons and a daughter.

The Witenagemot, an important political institution during the Isles' rich history that comprised the realm's most important nobles both, ecclesiastic and secular, served the King of the English in an advisory role. The Witan, as its members were called, elected Harold II as Edward's successor on January the Fifth of the Year of Our Lord 1066. It is believed that the Confessor awakened from his deep and labourious slumber only to mutter an order for Harold to protect his soon-to-be widow and kingdom, which is what convinced the Witan to pull all their support behind Harold II, the son of Godwin, heretofore Godwinson.

Harold, however, was not the only man eyeing the throne of England, for Hardrada of Norway and William of Normandy also raised their armies to take what they believed was rightfully theirs. At first, Harold's efforts seemed to be in vain, for his armies could not have waged war against the Bastard of Normandy because of unfavourable winds that beset his men on the Isle of Wight. Having disbanded his army in early September due to lack of food, Harold Godwinson returned to London a wearier man.

William the Bastard (Thayer Roberts - Lady Godiva of Coventry 1957).jpg

William the Bastard, one of the claimants in the Year to Conquer England

On that same day, Hardrada disembarked on English soil at the mouth of the Tyne river, joining up with Harold's treacherous brother Tostig, who was exiled by the rightful King a couple years before the invasion for his horrid governance of Northumbria. The aforemention region suffered once more as the Battle of Fulford yielded the invaders an important victory over the earls Morcar of Northumbria and Edwin of Mercia on September Twentieth.

This prompted Harold II on a forceful march northward, toward Yorkshire where he would take Hardrada by surprise, though there exists a legend even greater than Harold's tremendous victory over Hardrada the next day. It is said that Harold had awoken in a particularly dour mood in the middle of the night, only to come out of his tent and gaze upon a breathtaking burning star cutting through the black void of the empty night sky.

Some time later during that night, in Hardrada's encampment, a hooded figure entered Tostig's tent, calling himself a nameless messenger of Harold's. He offered Tostig the earldom he had previously lost if he were to turn against his Norwegian ally. Tostig then asked the man what Harold would be willing to give Hardrada for his troubles.

Though his eyes were obscured, the hooded man's smile lights up against the flickering candlelight in the distance, resembling more the mysterious burning star from before than a predatory foe's as Tostig had been expecting, "Seven feet of English ground, as he is taller than most men." The messenger leaves the rebellious brother's encampment in a swirl of his long black cloak.

It is said that Hardrada was so impressed by the mad man's boldness that he had enquired his name. Tostig merely replied that the unknown figure was Harold Godwinson himself.

The next day, the famed Battle of Stamford Bridge had occurred, where the massive Anglo-Saxon host outsmarted the Norwegians and homebound traitors on every possible front. This glorious turn of events proved many sceptics wrong regarding the ill omen that the burning star from the night before supposedly bore, though not all were convinced at the time.

Harold II Godwinson (Adam James - 1066 A Year to Conquer England).jpg

Harold II the morning after having seen the burning star

That honour went to the Battle of Hastings, waged on October Fourteenth, where Harold's decision to strike the Bastard's encamped troops in an attempt to alleviate his own troops' tiredness after a forceful march of over two-hundred and forty miles south paid off in dividends. William the Bastard and dozens of his companions were slain in the bloody fighting that was thought to have lasted for five whole hours, but the deed was done – Harold had protected England from two invading armies in less than a moon's turn. Well and truly, Harold Godwinson was left alone as the sole living King of the English after almost a year of war.

Now venerated as the Burning Star that graced the English with fortune yet unseen and unfelt, Harold's subsequent seventeen years on the throne of England were described by most as glorious – he repelled another invasion, this time by Sweyn Estridsson of Denmark in late 1069 Anno Domini, renewed relations with the Pope after the latter's alleged support of William the Bastard, destroyed a conspiracy of his earls and incorporated their holdings into his own, fostered warm relations with his loyal earls and let them independently run their lands so long as the royal treasury received its taxes on time, stressed the importance of the Witan's advisory roles, appointed wise men to the Witenagemot, funded a wide array of different rebels in the crumbling holdings of late claimant William as well as expanding trade across Europe and its many realms that were close to England. Just to name a few

However, even the greatest men of the world must pass at one point, and Harold had to do the same. At the age of one-and-sixty he passed in his sleep in the royal capital of Winchester, leaving the Witenagemot to proclaim Godwin, Harold's eldest son the new King at Westminster Abbey. The initial years of Godwin Haroldson's reign would be focused solely on continuing his father's planned endeavours, such as a realmwide census aimed at writing down the personal belongings of each man regardless of social stature in order to better ameliorate some of Harold II's taxation policies. However, Godwin would not be present when most of these reforms did finally take place.

Harold II Godwinson's coat of arms (eight-pointed star).jpg

The eight-pointed bronze star, thought by many to be the personal banners of King Harold II
Godwin's efforts were not merely economic in nature either, for he wearily looked onto his brothers Edmund, Magnus, Harold and Ulf and the incitement to rebellion their mere persons might attract, for England knew not what two generations of peace looked like, and his uncle Tostig's treachery still remained in memory for most nobles. The Witan had looked upon Godwin with great favour, for Harold II had begun grooming his eldest son for the throne years before his demise. Thus, Godwin had successfuly received over a third of the kingdom after having called an assembly of the Witenagemot to fairly distribute the lands among the brothers, and their renewed outpours of affection slowly, yet surely brought their relationship with their king onto the same levels that the late Burning Star had maintained with Gyrth and Leofwine.

Godwin's marriage to Margaret of Wessex, forged in 1069 Anno Domini as a way of combining the rivalling claims of the Godwins and the Wessexians to the throne England had, by the time of his father's death and his ascension to the throne, bore the couple two sons – Edward (born 1074) and Wulffrith (born 1081), and three daughters – Edith (born 1071), Garwynn (born 1076) and Denegyth (born 1078).

When the Pope voiced his declaration of the Pannonian Crusade, Godwin demanded to go. However, such was only possible after his father's death, whose outward policy was decidedly more isolated, for fear of another foreign invasion breaking England. In late 1084 Anno Domini, he joined forces with Holy Roman Emperor Otto IV and jointly liberated the Duchy of Nitra, soon to be incorporated into the ruler of Nordheim's domain. During Godwin's adventures, his younger brother Magnus served in his stead, until his return in 1088 of Our Lord.

But upon his return, Godwin had been informed by his loyal brother of the earls that were not related to the Godwins by blood, whose shameless slights of Magnus and the ruling dynasty became more and more pronounced as the years without Godwin I's steady hand had gone by. Godwin promised his brother that none of it will continue unabated.

Like rats fleeing a sinking ship, the earls of the northernmost reaches of the realm quietly prostrated themselves before Godwin, likely out of fear, for the Burning Star's favourite son still possessed a bear's body and the thick beard to maintain such a fearsome reputation. In 1094, with another Crusade being called forth by the Pope, Godwin decided to raise his armies mostly from the northern earldoms, in order to test their rulers and to perhaps rid himself of the burdens that they had presented by having them die in the unfathomable sands of Asia. Additionally, it proved to be a perfect opportunity for the king to expand his power into the furthermost reaches of his kingdom now that his most disloyal subjects were abroad and bleeding themselves.

As it stands, Godwin's reign is a strong one, an uninterrupted continuation of his father's glorious rule. By all accounts, the House of Godwin is there to stay as Kings of the English, and with the Witan acting as the most loyal of Godwins' men, it seems as though their continued influence over the English throne is nigh guaranteed for generations to come.

Godwin I Haroldson (Joel Edgerton - The King 2019).jpg

Godwin I Haroldson, King of the English since 1083 AD

This chapter was greatly inspired by Achaemenid Rome's excellent mini-TL The Shielding of Engla Land against the Normishmen, a story about Harold's victory at Hastings that is written in Anglish, truly making it one of the most unique stories on this site.