Rommel goes east, Model goes south

marathag

Banned
Unlike Rommel Model had to pay attention to what Hitler wanted done, and couldn't ignore logistics.

Rommel would have done terribly in the East. Not having the Italians as a filter would be his downfall

Deleted member 94680

Are we assuming Model and Rommel switch places in ‘41 - Rommel takes the Third Panzer after Model is sent to Africa in February?

Unlike Rommel, Model had to pay attention to what Hitler wanted done, and couldn't ignore logistics.

How was Model with the logistical aspect of command? Would he have done better than Rommel in Africa?

For that matter, would being one of many rather than the senior general help or hinder Rommel?

Deleted member 1487

Model was not really known to Hitler until 1942 and was too junior (3rd Panzer was his first combat command and only got that because Rommel went to Libya). The decision to send Rommel was largely based on his performance in France (something Model didn't have before Barbarossa) and relationship with Hitler.

Model was not really known to Hitler until 1942 and was too junior (3rd Panzer was his first combat command and only got that because Rommel went to Libya). The decision to send Rommel was largely based on his performance in France (something Model didn't have before Barbarossa) and relationship with Hitler.
Any positions Model could be slotted into during the Battle of France to hasten his rise? I was thinking maybe slotting him into the 3rd Panzer a bit earlier than iOTL, but its only noteworthy actions were fighting two indecisive battles in the low countries, so that's probably not the best position from which to try to make a name.

Deleted member 1487

Would Rommel have fared better or worse as a commander in the USSR than he did in Africa?
Define better or worse. I'm not sure if he was due to be promoted or what, but let's assume he keeps 7th Panzer. He'd be under a new corps commander who would more tightly control him than Guderian did in France. Looks like Rudolf Schmidt as corps commander with 3rd Panzer Army. Given that 7th Panzer in Barbarossa was still quite the Ghost Division they'd probably keep their OTL performance and maybe Rommel would get the corps when Schmidt is promoted, but who knows.

I think it is more likely than not Rommel is radicalized against Hitler if he goes East considering all that will be witnessed there in terms of atrocities and command failures.

Any positions Model could be slotted into during the Battle of France to hasten his rise? I was thinking maybe slotting him into the 3rd Panzer a bit earlier than iOTL, but its only noteworthy actions were fighting two indecisive battles in the low countries, so that's probably not the best position from which to try to make a name.
He was the CoS of an army. He was tracked on a different career path than that of a commander and instead opted for a division command. I suppose you could have him beg for a division command in France instead of an army CoS, but he was too junior and there weren't enough divisions to give. Part of the reason he even got one for Barbarossa was the doubling of Panzer divisions from 1940 to 1941 by chopping them in half. So he might well end up with an infantry division in France, but then he's just one of the faceless masses of division commanders and unlikely to rise as rapidly as with a panzer division, where the best and brightest were slotted.

Personally I don't think his command role was possible without serious PoDs in his career before the war.