“Whether the Lady Mary husband was supposed to be a punishment or reward has been hotly debated almost since the two left the alter. For on one hand, Henry Howard was set to because Duke of Norfolk and one of the premier piers of the realm. On the other hand, he was a cousin to the Queen and the marriage could be interpreted as a way for the Queen’s family to keep an eye on the Lady Mary.
I feel like I'm watching a telenovela (and a good one at that).

Just to nitpick, you wrote "because" instead of "become" and "piers" instead of "peers"

“Prince Henri de Valois would elope with his mistress Diane de Poitiers in March of 1537. {...} His eldest daughter’s marriage was fine, if not his first choice. His eldest son’s was just barely appropriate. And now his second son had eloped with a widow old enough to be his mother.
I knew it! I knew it! *squeals excitedly*

But yes, Francis is probably very much regretting allowing his children to marry for love right now.

But also - Mary and Henry Howard? That to me screams an tumultuous marriage waiting to happen!

O. M. G.
Diane as wife of Henri is such a wonderful, crazy but romantic idea and so beautifully fitting in this TL, that I literally have Stars of Happiness in my Heart and eyes.

Last edited:
Oh, I knew that would be Diane... Poor Francis... Well, right punishment for the horrible way in which he treated the poor Eleanor...

In the end keeping Henry away from Diane is practically impossible...
(I tried in Catalina the black widow and look how it ended, almost against my will)
Henry’s original intended ended as beloved third wife of his father with him totally indifferent as already obsessed with Diane and later eloped with her .

Last edited:
In which I request help planning an elopement

In case you hadn’t noticed I would like all of Francis I’s children to elope (or at least marry for love). So, his youngest children CHARLES and MARGARET needs spouses to elope with. But I’m having trouble figuring out who the lucky folks are.

So, please suggest potential spouses for a prince and princess of France. From the highest noblest lady/lord to the lowest merchant or merchant’s daughter, maybe a monarch or two, anything is possible.

@FalconHonour @isabella @kaiidth @curlyhairedhippie @The Professor @vandevere

Last edited:

In case you hadn’t noticed I would like all of Francis I’s children to elope (or at least marry for love). So, his youngest children CHARLES and MARGARET needs spouses to elope with. But I’m having trouble figuring out who the lucky folks are.

So, please suggest potential spouses for a prince and princess of France. From the highest noblest lady/lord to the lowest merchant or merchant’s daughter, maybe a monarch or two, anything is possible.

Just to mess with Francis, why not some outright protestant for both? Although @Shiva also presents an interesting idea on them having an perfectly arranged marriage (a good one in my opinion would be Dona Maria Manuela of Portugal, a niece of Charles V, a Portuguese princess and a perfect way to get the inheritance of Portugal out of Philip II's hands if the main line of the house of Avis dies out, either as an elopement or as an arranged marriage, they are only a year apart in age, after all)

Just to mess with Francis, why not some outright protestant for both? Although @Shiva also presents an interesting idea on them having an perfectly arranged marriage (a good one in my opinion would be Dona Maria Manuela of Portugal, a niece of Charles V, a Portuguese princess and a perfect way to get the inheritance of Portugal out of Philip II's hands if the main line of the house of Avis dies out, either as an elopement or as an arranged marriage, they are only a year apart in age, after all)

Maybe one of them is in an arranged marriage, where they start off hating each other, or thinking that they do through misunderstandings, only to figure out that they both actually like each other.

No way Francis will ever get Maria Manuela for his third son and also is almost impossible getting them to elope in a convincing way...

For Margaret why not have her eloping with her OTL husband (who right now is landless as Francis had occupied his lands because his mother Louise is claiming them as her inheritance, to which she had 0 rights by the way, as the house of Savoy apply Salic Law).
Francis would NOT be happy if Margaret ran away with Emmanuel Philibert (as he would be forced to give back Savoy to his new son-in-law now).

Charles need someone aristocratic or very rich...

Last edited:

Then have Charles d’Orléans make the match with Anna of Austria that was proposed for him IOTL, become Duke of Milan, but absolutely hate his wife and have no children with her. Francis would be rolling in his grave at seeing his favorite son and the only one of his surviving children to make a dynastically suitable match also be the only one to have no legitimate children of his own.

Francis would NOT be happy if Margaret ran away with Emmanuel Philibert (as he would be forced to give back Savoy to his new son-in-law now).
Love this idea!

Then have Charles d’Orléans make the match with Anna of Austria that was proposed for him IOTL, become Duke of Milan, but absolutely hate his wife and have no children with her. Francis would be rolling in his grave at seeing his favorite son and the only one of his surviving children to make a dynastically suitable match also be the only one to have no legitimate children of his own.
Sounds like a lot of fun, well not for Charles and Anna of course.

But maybe I can propose a different Anna as possible bride and with hopefully more happiness in the marriage.
Anna Jagellion, third daughter of Sigismund the Old and Bona Sforza, born 1523.

I have possibilities for Charles, but not for Margaret.

Jeanne of Navarre (b.1528). She's stubborn enough to stand against family disappointment for her actions.

Or, going along the reformist angle - Anne of Cleves? She's going to need a new husband, given Henry's not tiring of Anne Boleyn ITTL.

Perhaps a Scottish nobleman for Margaret? She goes to visit her sister and falls in love along the way.

But I do like the idea of Charles being the one of Francis's sons, who, despite his father's best efforts on his behalf, ends up in an unhappy, barren marriage.

Last edited: